The 1st practice of 2009 Verizon Vikings Training Camp is officially in the books. All 79 players who’ve reported to camp were on the field in shoulder pads, helmets and shorts for the 120-minute practice. To begin camp, the offensive players are wearing white jerseys and the defensive players are in purple jerseys.
With temperatures in the mid-70s, minimal wind and plenty of sunshine, conditions were near ideal for players and fans alike. Vikings fans filled both sets of tall bleachers located adjacent to the practice fields and on several occasions were stirred to cheers by a long completion or impressive interception.
“We always enjoy coming here to watch training camp,” said Dan, a citizen of Mankato who enjoys bringing his 2 kids to camp every year. “These are the guys we watch on TV all year long, so to get an up-close look at them like we can here is really fun.”
After speaking with the media on both Wednesday and Thursday, Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress didn’t have much to say following today’s morning practice. He did meet with the media several minutes after practice, however, and seemed even-tempered about his team’s work during the 1st practice.
“First day, not a lot to report,” Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said immediately after practice. “It’s good to get those guys out there and getting used to their pads. It’s always interesting for me to go and look at the tape and see how guys move around and how they’re carrying their pads, particularly interested to look at some of those rookies to see how they did. We’ve got a lot to work on but we’ve got a little time to do it.”
The Vikings will get back to work this afternoon, as they have a 2nd practice scheduled for today at 3:00 p.m. In between the morning practice and afternoon session, the players will grab lunch, head to meetings and replenish their bodies. Following today’s afternoon practice the entire team will be introduced to fans at Blakeslee Stadium. The event is scheduled to begin around 5:00.
Several other players spoke after practice today, including both Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels. We’ll have updates of what they had to say posted here on the vikings.com Blog in a little while.
A few highlights from today’s practice included:
– CB Karl Paymah playing tough press coverage against WR Nick Moore. Paymah brought Moore to the ground during 1-on-1 drills this morning, but then Moore got back up and hauled in a reception against Paymah on the next snap.
– LB Heath Farwell surged through the offensive line to make what would’ve been a huge hit on the RB during the 9-7 inside running drill.
– Rookie LB Jasper Brinkley also found a way to break through the line to make what would’ve been a jolting stop on rookie RB Ian Johnson.
– I didn’t see, but the crowd broke out in ovation after CB Derrick Roberson made an interception during 1-on-1 drills.
– CB Cedric Griffin made an outstanding play during 7-on-7 drills when he dove and deflected a pass from Sage Rosenfels to Bernard Berrian.
Tags: Cedric Griffin, Derrick Roberson, Heath Farwell, Karl Paymah, Sage Rosenfels
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 3 Comments »