While the rest of us were winding down on Friday after a busy week of free agency, the Vikings front office was ramping up their effort to continue improving an already young and talented roster. Early Friday afternoon the Vikings finalized the signing of former Patriots and Chiefs QB Matt Cassel to beef up the competition at QB behind starter Christian Ponder.
It was the signing late on Friday afternoon that created the biggest buzz in the Vikings fan base, though, as the team completed its courtship of WR Greg Jennings by signing him to a contract. Jennings has been a thorn in the Vikings side since he entered the League in 2006 as a 2nd-round draft choice of the division rival Green Bay Packers, but now he’ll be a helping hand for a Vikings offense that looks to improve its passing game while maintaining its identity as a dominant, physical run-first group.
By now you’ve read up on both signings to get all the formal information. But here are some fun facts about your two newest Vikings…
– Attended same high school as NY Yankees legend Derek Jeter (Kalamazoo Central).
– Married to the former Nicole Lindsey. Couple has 3 daughters: Amya, 5; Alea, 3; and Ayva, 2 and 1 son: Aice.
– Caught Brett Favre’s 400th career TD pass.
– Also caught Brett Favre’s 420th and 421st TD passes as the future Hall of Fame QB chased, matched and surpassed Dan Marino’s career record for TD passes.
– Caught Aaron Rodgers’ first career TD pass.
– Posted 68 receptions and 10 TDs in 15 games vs. the Vikings while helping Green Bay to an 11-4.
– Made an appearance on the CBS crime drama Criminal Minds, playing the role of a lab.
– Grew up in Northridge, CA where he helped lead his squad to the 1994 Little League World Series.
– Was selected in the 36th round of the 2004 Major League Baseball Draft by Oakland.
– Teammates at USC with Ryan Kalil, older brother of Vikings LT Matt Kalil.
– Majored in communications at USC where he was roomed with Carson Palmer and Troy Polamalu.
– Married to Lauren, the couple has daughters Quinn and Ella.
– Backed up Brady on 2007 Patriots squad that went 16-0 in the regular season and played New York in Super Bowl.
Tags: 2013 Free Agency, Greg Jennings, Matt Cassel
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 768 Comments »