Free Or Not To Be Free? A List Of Vikings Free Agents

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 11, 2013 – 5:31 am

In 2012 the Vikings notched the greatest single-season win improvement in franchise history, moving from 3 wins in 2011 to 10 wins this past season. This offseason the team will look to further improve the roster through the retension and acquisition of free agents and the development of another strong draft class.

The first step in that process has already begun, as the Vikings front office is in the process of evaluating its own class of free agents as well as the large group of players scheduled to become free agents on Tuesday, the first day of the new League Year. Before a team delves into the free agent market, it must first address the status of its own free agents. Will the Vikings re-sign most of their free agents? We don’t know that yet. But we do know which Vikings players are scheduled to become free agents.

Below is a list of the Vikings restricted free agents (RFAs) and unrestricted free agents (UFAs). Also, click here to check out the vikings.com 2013 Free Agent Glossary.

Restricted Free Agents
CB AJ Jefferson

Unrestricted Free Agents
WR Devin Aromashodu
OL Joe Berger
LB Jasper Brinkley
FB Jerome Felton
LB Erin Henderson
RT Phil Loadholt
LB Marvin Mitchell
S Jamarca Sanford
OL Geoff Schwartz
WR Jerome Simpson

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Free Or Not To Be Free? A List Of Vikings Free Agents”

1. By Parody on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

GEt back Jefferson, Felton, Loadholt, and either Henderson or Brinkley. The rest can be replaced with the draft and free agency without losing any production.

2. By WRHopkins2013 on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

3. By DRS. on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

New Blog. SKOL Vikings

4. By PurplHaze on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

I really don’t like the “naughty list” words, Wobbs. Would you make it public so we know what NOT to type in our posts?

5. By PurplHaze on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Sign Phil and Jerome, and consider the others on the list that can contribute when needed.

And let’s get one big name FA, Rick! SKOL!!!

6. By PurplHaze on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Jerome = Felton … ;-)

7. By Troutdaddy on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Jefferson needs tp be gone. He was so mediocre last year and gave up Many big plays. He’s athletic but can’t keep up- lacks the speed and jump that we need. I like Aroma and Simpson, but we need more consistency out of both. Simpson- would be a shame to lose him. I am hoping we get to see more from him this year.WR is going to be a huge focus for us and if we do not get help in FA then we’de better have an awesome draft because most likely we are going to have Harvin issues from what it sounds like. Really ticks me off about Harvin. Such a great player that could potentially make all of the difference for this team and it may be that he is a toxic hinderance. Obviously he thinks he is worth a specific dollar amount and he deserves a good deal, but again- I have a really hard time with players who come across as “Bigger than the game” and who have not paid their own dues to prove themsleves both on and off the field. That says something about their character. Harvin is one who still needs to prove himself- step up and be a leader and gain the respect of his teammates/coaches and earn that big contract. This week will hopefully give us some excitement with FA, but I amnot counting on anything big.

8. By celticvikingwarrior on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Troutdaddy
    Amen brother, AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    After all the VIKES have done to help him get his migraine situation under control, the missed games etc.
    This clown has the “typical” audacity to yell at the head coach (multiple times) and DEMAND a trade, or RE:NEGOTIATE !!!!!!
    It makes me sick to my stomach.
    The only problem is that he is all but impossible to trade. He’s in the last year of his contract, is acting like a spoiled brat, and is “reportedly” seeking 16.5 million per year.
    I don’t see ANYONE wanting to take on that “MIGRAINE”

9. By celticvikingwarrior on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

They should call his bluff and if he doesn’t show up to camp, THE FIRST DAY, put him on the suspended; failed to report list and let him sit without a paycheck for the entire year…
    Never mind…. “BREAKING NEWS”…..Seattle has agreed to a trade for harvin, no news as to what the VIKES will get…source=NFL network, 10:10 a.m. p.s.t.
    VIKES will receive “future draft pick, pending physical”….Jay Glazer NFL network…

10. By Richard1A on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Traded pending physical, bye Percy…….

11. By djinn8345 on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Is it True that Harvin is being traded to Seattle? I like to know what this team is thinking in getting rid of Harvin? I understand the issues, I really do. However, We have needed a #1 WR since we parted with Moss and everyone we have drafted since have been duds. We had a good slot player in Harvin wouldn’t it have been smart to extend his contract, and draft a GOOD #1 WR. I’m not really seeing anything that would work with our offense in the FA. So I really would like to know what this organization is thinking. This is a pass first run later league, Vikings are a run first pass only when its obvious team. Isn’t it about time that we update our offense to what everyone in the NFL is doing? Yeah AP is a beast but when you don’t have a passing game it hurts him more then helps him. But what do I know I’m just a arm chair fan that thinks he knows everything. I guess the words from the commentators still haunt me from the playoffs. “These Wide Receivers of the Minnesota Vikings look like deer in headlights out there.” “I agree. its like they are SURPRISED that the ball is even being thrown to them.”

12. By Vikings1 on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

@By djinn8345 on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

______________________________________________________________
    I heard the same thing, but haven’t heard anything from the Vikings! Also heard that Harvin requested another trade yesterday.

13. By djinn8345 on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

it just seems like all the Minnesota Sports teams are making very questionable decisions the last couple of years…some longer then others (t-wolves).

14. By T.allengovikes on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

I heard harvins being traded to Seattle for a first round pick. If your gonna get rid of a great player you need to get a great player. Wallace would do! Try to get cribbs from Cleveland too, then u have your third receiver and return man. Put jarius wright in slot.

15. By Tthhfddg on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Harvin is traded to the Seahawks for their 1st round pick,7th rounder,and future mid round pick.

16. By vikingmadness on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Goodbye to Harvin. He was just a want to be Randy Moss. Harvin had the chip and was a jenkins like Moss when he did not play the vikings had a better game.

17. By vikingmadness on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

oops meant jinks

18. By govikes on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Great trade!

19. By govikes on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Now use our later round picks to maneuver in the draft to get Kenny Vaccaro to pair up with Smith, get Ogletree or MInter to replace Brinkley at MLB and get a big body DT either in the draft or FA. Then go after some WR prospects in the middle/late rounds.

20. By sogan9 on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

The only thing Loadholt is good at is; A: holding. and B: helping the QB back up after he let someone by to sack the QB.

21. By Leighton on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

I’m hoping Jamarca Sanford might get re-signed. This was under-the-radar guy who caused four forced fumbles. I think he could contribute in run stopping support.

22. By Matt on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

a lot of you people dont know what you are talking about. percy harvin HAD to go, when a player demands a trade and you dont trade him, they dont give it their all on the field and it is bad for the locker room chemistry.look i wished it would have worked out but percy forced rick to do it. and why havent we resigned loadholt yet

23. By Tom on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Trading Percy was a step in the wrong direction for what was this past year! Getting Seattle’s first round draft pick is nothing to brag about since it is #25. Ponder is not a very good quarterback, and now he has one less weapon at his disposal. A.P is going to have a lot more wear and tear on his body reducing his tenure in Minnesota as a featured quality back!
    Maybe the Vikings are trying to sign Jerry Rice, Sterling Sharpe, Cris Carter and Preston Pearson to solidify their pass offense!

24. By Barry on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Couldn’t agree more with Tom’s blog, I wrote Wobschall and told him Ponder was an average QB, that lacked athleticism and I got chastised for that comment in his reply email . Wobschall also chided me that Ponder had mediocre receivers to throw to in 2012, well, that’s managements fault, Randy Moss gone, [the second time], Time will prove me right. We need a marquis QB, who is more mobile, Russel White’s are out there. Didn’t Seattle get another Viking receiver? Deshancoe? It makes me scratch my head as to how this team plans to ever win a championship.

25. By Barry on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

OK, above blog was written early, misspelled, Shiancoe, who was developing into a great tight end, and Russell Wilson, yeah I know, last name not white, wasn’t even a first round pick, I think the Vikings need to draft a QB, it’s amazing other teams can find these type of players, even the 49ers qb wasn’t a starter at the beginning of 2012..

26. By gigglanecraig on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Looks to me like the Hawks are trying to become the Vikings re-incarnate with Rice, Shiancoe and now Harvin heading to the coast. Flattery is the sincerest form of compliment!

The Vikes need a marquee name at WR…or even TWO marquee names. One in FA, one via the draft would immeasurably improve the output from down the field. Play action has been woefully underused with a running back of the calibre of AP in the team so the addition of some solid WRs should address that. Was Harvin the answer? In terms of on-field quality – yes. Off-field quality – unequivocally not.

27. By rye on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

vikings should sign Greg jennings. He is experienced, a team player, and the young draft picks could learn from him.

1.) Jennings
    2.) Draft Pick/Simpson
    3.) Wright in the slot
    TE: Rudolph/Carlson

4.) Draft Pick

The vikes would REALLY help the receiving corp by signing Jennings!

28. By The Dude on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

I say let Loadholt go. He was tied for 5th for most pentalites among NFL players last year. There are 32 teams with 52 man rosters. That means that out of 1664 total players, only 4 had more pentalites than Loadholt. He’s a liability. Let the Bears have him. He can kill their drives instead.

29. By BoomBoom on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Hey I hate to see harvin go but he wasn’t happy here. The fact we got a first round pick is huge I know a throw in 7th big deal but a 3rd next year is great
    Rick did a awesome job. Yes we need a starting wr hopefully a vet via FA but the draft is full of Wr’s I hope we go LB , CB than WR, WR
    It would be nice to see if we could pick up a player or 2 other than are own in Fa this year WR CB FS DT LB

30. By choppershufflin on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

How about paying 2.5 million a year for a guy who doesnt even play every down and almost NEVER touches the ball.. when there are probably 50+ potential replacements who’d take less than half of that.

Offer the extra money as incentives.. or just pay our star reciever.. i dunno.

31. By Matt on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

SHIANCOE IS ON THE PATRIOTS

32. By sogan9 on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

@The Dude. You are right. Phil is a load of… drive kills.

33. By mike on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

BRING RFA VICTOR CRUZ TO MN.

LOSING A 1ST RD PICK TO THE GIANTS FOR ACQUIRING A RFA LIKE CRUZ BUT STILL HAVE ANOTHER 1ST RD PICK (the one from SEA)

GO DEFENSE WITH THE OTHER 1ST RD. PICK(BEST AVAILABLE:DT,ILB) AND I GAURANTEE ONE OF THOSE RECEIVERS WILL STILL BE THERE IN THE 2ND RD FOR MN.

THIS ROSTER NEEDS MULTIPLE WR’s (preferably not all rookies)

+CRUZ IS THE REAL DEAL.

34. By BEEFDOG on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

It seems that we need possession receivers. I recommend that we pick up
    1. Chad Johnson
    2. Randy Moss
    3. Terrell Owens
    These three have issues but they are veteran receivers who know how to run routes. Each of them are just looking for any opportunity to play in the NFL and we can pick up each of them for no more than 1 million each.
    Think about it, three quality receivers for three million total. Not only would this be great for our quarterback but it would open the way for Adrian Peterson to run with reckless abandon.
    When it comes to disciplining them if needed, just publicly humiliate them by parking their butt on the bench.

35. By Hotwyre on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

please re-sign Devon Aromashoduobeedoobedoo

36. By austin edmundson on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

awesome for trading harvin jennings now

37. By Frank on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Trade a first round and 7th round for Larry Fitzgerald he is a big wr who can be a # 1 wr along side Jennings and Simpson. Then draft time get all dfence let’s make dis rub this yr.

38. By Pok on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Normally I don’t learn post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, very nice post.

39. By Ute on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my readers would value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.