Mathieu Moving Up?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 26, 2013 – 9:57 pm

LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu – a.k.a. “Honey Badger” – was straight-forward while meeting with the media and presumably with NFL teams during the Combine, saying he is ready to shed his checkered past and earn the trust of franchises.

“My best friend right now is honesty,” Mathieu said over the weekend.

But there was another straight-forward development regarding Mathieu at the Combine, and this one came on Tuesday. Suffice it to say: he’s got game.

Mathieu was one of the day’s top performers in Indianapolis. His performance in many of the timed or measured physical tests was solid-not-sensational. His 40-yard dash time is sufficient enough to eliminate doubts about his speed.

More importantly, in my opinion, are the on-field drills. And that’s where Mathieu impressed the most. That’s where he feels comfortable. That’s where he’s the Honey Badger.

How Mathieu’s medical examination and interview process unfolded at the Combine is something only the 32 NFL teams know, but what was publically visible of Mathieu’s Combine experience turned out to be up and down. My sense is that the up was higher than the down was low. While his time spent in the media center could be described as strange at best, his performance on the field Tuesday was outstanding. I won’t go so far as to say he stole the show, but there’s no question he was among the day’s more impressive performers. He has confidence, a cocksure demeanor and an aura around him that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Let me be clear again: what I’ve seen of Mathieu is a mere snapshot of what it takes to author a complete evaluation of a player leading up to the draft. I don’t have his medical information, I don’t know his character background, I don’t know how he tested psychologically. All I can go off of is what I see and what I’m told. I haven’t been told anything about Mathieu from insiders. I have watched many of his college games and all of his Combine experience. He clearly loves to play football and he appears most comfortable on the field.

His size is nowhere near ideal, as he measured in at 5-9, 186 pounds. But haven’t we learned by now that “he’s too small” should only go so far? “He’s too small” is what caused Russell Wilson to be drafted in the 3rd round last year. “He’s too small” hasn’t stopped London Fletcher, or Darren Sproles, or Antoine Winfield.

What will stop the Honey Badger? I’m not sure. But I’m pretty sure it won’t be his on-field ability.

Tags:

26 Responses to “Mathieu Moving Up?”

1. By Draft Rich on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

2. By Megakrab on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

vikes round 4 winfield is probably done soon

3. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Wobbles sounds like Obama: Let me be perfectly clear…

4. By Rick on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Call me crazy but can anybody else see the vikings drafting the TE out of Notre Dame? That would be a great excuse to unload Carlson not that they really need much more of an excuse then they already have

5. By VikeNasty on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

NFL Network said he moved up to the 3rd round and Sanders said someone will take him in the 2nd. Im hoping the Vikes take him in the second if he is still there.

6. By VikeNasty on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Oh and you are crazy Rick.

7. By Frederick Jones on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

“Alex Smith isn’t a sexy pick at quarterback, but he’s efficient and has proven to be a winner over the last two seasons.”

What does the above have to do with football?

8. By Jeremy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Spielmannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn………

Please draft the Honey Badger…our defense needs a player with that swagger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. By BlueBird7 on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

How about D. Robinson from Michigan? QB turned Reciever, can catch & run.

And hold onto the b-a-l-l.

10. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Stay away from the “Honey Badger” !!!…Kid tested positive only 4 months back for weed !!!…And that was after trying to quit weed at least once already…

Sanders takes another bad apple under his wing…And everyone wants to take another problem child in the second round again for the Vikings ???…

How about taking a player who has worked hard and deserves to go in the second round…Instead of slow LB’s with fake girlfriends or drug addicts ???..

No Te’o…No Honey Badger…

How about solid football players without media drama connected to them !!!..

11. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Rick….

Eifert would be a great pick !!!…

12. By Brad S on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Mathieu will be the the same boat as Dennard was in last year. High risk and maybe high reward. Teams that draft Mathieu before 5th round could be throwing a roster spot away, third and forth round picks are starters or future staters for your team without a much risk that Mathieu has. I personality would look at Mathieu in the sixth round.

13. By polarisrmk on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

if hes there in round 4 pull the trigger odds are it wont produce a starter at the spot anyway, testing positive for weed isnt as big of a deal as p.e.d either its worth the risk windfeild is getting old mathieu has the same frame if windfeild teaches him to tackle hes gonna be a great run suporting dback

14. By Tom Opp on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

The boy needs to get in the weight room 4 reps at 225 pitafull . But his speed was awnsered his drills as I was watching the combine was great. The one thing they always say about DBs is fluidity in his hips are one of the bestr I saw amongst all the CB, and Safteys yesterday. Yes he is a little short but so is Winfield all he did at LSU was make plays and was runner up to the hiesman in 2011. About the weed thing im sure tons of nfl players in the NFL do it, and it will be leagle in the US in five years or so. If he is there in the fourth rd. draft him problems or not.

15. By dakotakid59 on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Love Winfield But your right he is finally starting 2 loose a step or two. Also would love 2 see Honeybadger on Vikes. but he’ll be long gone by # 23 Im afraid.Would be nice if he was still there u never know ,stranger things have happened?

16. By Jeremy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Honey Badger will be gone by the end of the third possibly second….mark my words……… and he is a day 1 impact player unlike some of these CBs this year..

you guys are stupid if you don’t want to add talent….Hopkins2013 in particular… look at what Jerome Simpson did….he was selling the stuff and we still gave him a chance..you sound like a guy who had absolutely no FUN growing up……

also Brad there is NOOOOOOOOOOO way Matheiu even sniffs the bottom half of the draft……..

17. By Jeremy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Also no way is he a first round pick…talent yes….

I would honestly love to see us trade back or out of the first round altogether to get a couple more early second round picks and take a LB/DT—WR- plenty of good WRs Hopkins or Hunter or Rogers or Patton—- and then take Honey Badger at the end of the second round

18. By Johnny on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

I hope we do defensive in the first 2 rounds, I know we need some help at WR too but maybe not as much as some think. Jarius Wright came on strong when we called on him in his first season, and we will have Percy Harvin back no matter how much the media trys to stir things up with him. Jerome Simpson had an injury that hampered his production and I expect him to have a much better year. Mix those guys with Kyle Rudolph and whoever else me may acquire via free agency or the draft in the 3 and or 4th rounds and we should be ok offensively. Our offense actually put up some numbers comparable to a lot of good teams and we proved we can beat teams like the Packers with what we have.

Defensively if we get a few more play makers we could really look scary. I think DT, LB, and then DB. I believe that DT is the most critical to solidify a good D-line and then LB to give Greenway some help. Jasper Brinkly is an ok guy at MLB but not what I would call a solid performer and Erin although I like him, seems too have peaked at just being a solid performer. If we can get another play maker and not just a solid guy at the LB positions it would have a dramatic impact on the defense.

Honey Badger is very talented but he is a nickel DB in the NFL his size will keep him from being an every down guy. He does have great instincts for the ball and his speed and athleticism keeps him close to the ball. However he isn’t going too line up against North WR’s very well because of the size differential. I would love to see us get him but not as a 1st, or 2nd rounder pick maybe possibly a 3rd but because his off field issues he will be a gamble pick and I don’t know if spending a 3rd is worth it on a gamble. I’d rather spend a 3rd on a WR.

19. By Jeremy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Johnny your evaluation on where the Honey Badger will line up is qestionable at best….what forces you to give this prognosis….The best CB to ever play the game in Primetime said that he is an outside corner that will be a beast in the NFL…

Also we NEED to take a WR in the second round no questions asked…agree that first round should be defense except if we can get C. Patterson………….

20. By Matt Miller on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Tyrann in the 3rd round!

21. By Tony Alonzo on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

HONEYBADGERRRRR!!!! FOR VIKINGSS!

22. By Tony Alonzo on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Rick Spielman, and head coach Frazier we are known for good draft picks, and we need help at the DB position we are know for not being able to defend against the pass and we dont have a solid 2nd cornerback, and with Winfields days numbered we are only getting that much weaker at DB. With TYRANN MATHIEU not being high on others draft boards this can be our chance for a steal and a great pick up at the DB position adding depth to our corners and slot position nickel and dime packages. Honeybadger should be someone we should be looking at with a Antoine Winfield type structure this kid can be great adding more speed, versatility and playmaking ability’s this kids even great at tackling even in open field and with Antoine this kid can be that much better

23. By Wally0390 on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

I disagree with that. Chris Cook, when he was healthy, played some very solid football and Josh Robinson got alot of experience. I think Robinson is going to be a very good DB. He is extremely fast and has great feet. We definitely need to draft another solid corner, however, I certainly do not think we are only getting weaker at DB. If Mathieu is available at our pick in the third round we should definitely consider him, but our first two picks need to be used on a WR and LB in either order. Our linebackers are the ones getting weaker, not our DBs. I would also love to see us consider drafting Shamarko Thomas, safety out of Syracuse. The dude is a freakin beast and knows how to lay the lumber. If we could get him in the fifth round that would be great.

24. By Kent on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Mathieu would be a great fit, particularly in the Cover 2 scheme. Robinson and Cook …. and Tyrann.
    Drafting him with their #3 would be ideal, though I think another team will get there first.

25. By Bleeding PurpleandGold on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

We need a CB and a WR make some move and make some BIG move please and thank you :)

2. Feb 27, 2013: Vikings Blog | Several Stand Out Among DB Class At Combine