Mayock: Tavon Austin A “Game-Changer”

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 24, 2013 – 11:59 am

In the early stages of the 2013 Scouting Combine we analyzed whether or not Tennessee WR Coreddelle Patterson would be a good fit with the Vikings because NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks identified the Vikings as one of five potential landing spots for the electric playmaker. Many Vikings fans would welcome Patterson to the Purple with open arms in hopes that he would jump start a passing offense looking to improve in 2013.

But many other Vikings fans feel the same way about another receiver who is generating a buzz on Sunday in Indianapolis – West Virginia’s Tavon Austin. The WRs are going through their on-field workouts on Sunday, and Austin’s performance in the 40-yard dash was impressive. We can’t post official numbers in this space, but you can check them out for yourself here.

Impressive performances are the norm for Austin, though. As a senior in 2012, Austin had double-digit receptions in 8 of 13 games and he had 100+ receiving yards in a game 6 times. Also, there were only 2 games in which Austin didn’t find the end zone. For the season, Austin had 114 receptions for 1,289 yards and 12 TDs to go along with an 8.9-yards per carry average and 3 TDs on 72 carries. In 4 seasons, Austin scored 35 offensive TDs and was also a talented returner.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock had high praise for Austin during Sunday’s coverage of the Combine.

“You want to talk about one of the most electric players I’ve ever seen in college football,” Mayock said, “he put a performance on against the University of Oklahoma that was one of the most amazing I’ve ever seen. Over 500 yards of offense — he played mostly tailback.”

In that game, Austin 21 times for 344 yards and 2 TDs. The performances underscored the notion that Austin’s skill set is unique and is the type of characteristic that could help him make a difference for an NFL team.

“In the NFL, it’s all about matchups, and this young man is a matchup nightmare,” Mayock said. “What I love about (Austin), he’s got good hands. We already know he can run, we know how quick he is. I know he’s tough. And he’s a game-changer.”

Tags:

108 Responses to “Mayock: Tavon Austin A “Game-Changer””

1. By dru on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

either one i’m good

2. By BlueBird7 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Let us see if anybody will jump from Patterson’s Band Wagon over to T. Austins

3. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Patterson has some “bust” potential…

I see none, in Austin…

4. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

T Williams had a good day today…There are some play makers at the WR position… ;-)

5. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

There are some WR’s that give me “goo se bu mps” watching them…

But Patterson is not one of them for me ???…
    I just do not see the “wow” factor in Patterson…

6. By PurplHaze on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

We don’t need Austin. We have his idol, Percy!

Get a good look at Connor Vernon from Duke. He’s a 5th round sleeper with possibly the best hands in the draft!

7. By PurplHaze on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply
    There are some WR’s that give me “goo se bu mps” watching them…
    But Patterson is not one of them for me ???…
    I just do not see the “wow” factor in Patterson…
    **********
    Probably because of your screen name. ;-)

8. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

By PurplHaze on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

We don’t need Austin. We have his idol, Percy!

———————-

Vernon isn’t a very fast guy…
    But will move the chains on 3rd down…And has very good hands…

9. By PurplHaze on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

So you’d rather have a fast guy that let’s the ball hit him in the chest, Hopkins? Would you draft Robinson before Vernon? That would be just plain foolish!

10. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Just give me Rogers in the 2nd

11. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Personally…And this is “personally” mind you…

I have around 6 WR’s I would take in front of Patterson…

12. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

By PurplHaze on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

——————

I didn’t say anything like that at all ???…What I said…Was a complement…

13. By PurplHaze on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Vernon is also every bit as fast as Hopkins. VALUE!

14. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Hopkins actually high points the ball pretty well. I don’t think we’ll take a WR in the first.

There are some 4th/5th round WR that I think could end up being great possession types and more including Vernon and Swo pe and Melette.

15. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

There are some very solid options out there at WR…

I think this WR class, will have a bigger impact on the NFL than last years WR class as rookies…
    There are some solid football players at WR in this draft class !!!…

16. By Shawn on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Austin is 168 lbs … I see a part time player at best. Im going with a 6 game per year player? H3LL NO

I dont like Patterson or Austin … What I hear when people talk about Patterson is drops and not a good route runner

Austin 168 lbs at RB … LOL … Dumb

17. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Spielman knows how to pick ‘em. Don’t worry Shawn. He is not dialing up any of these bloggers for advice.

18. By okemon on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Im hoping for 2 or 3 WRs from this years draft. maybe coming in rounds 2 3 and 4. I wouldn’t mind trading pick 23 and picking up two WRs in rounds 2 and or 3. I think the WR position is the most crucial. if we had a quality WR last year we could’ve won the division with the same defense.

19. By Mike R. on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I saw one of the WR look fluid catching the football in the gauntlet. I had to look him up.
    Rodney Smith, Fla. St. Had a decent 40. They keep listing him as 6’6 but he is 6’4. Could be worth a late round pick.

20. By okemon on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I hope we can get 2 or 3 WRs this year…. overhaul…. and create good competition.

21. By Mike R. on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Also he looked good tracking the ball and catching it over the shoulder.

22. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

By okemon on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

———————

I agree…A total “overhaul” is needed…Young talented competition…

The only 2 WR’s I would keep on the team…Are the 2 rookies from last season…Childs (if healthy) and Wright….

Get rid of the rest…I am totally serious…Get picks for Harvin…And start from scratch !!!…

23. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Yeah Mike I had him in one of my mocks earlier, tallest guy with the longest arms and biggest hands, just not that quick

24. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Way to go Parkway.

25. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Didn’t know Sw ope was a 4.3 guy wow

26. By Mike R. on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Parkway

We definitely need a no.1 receiver to go along with Harvin (if he stays). But I think that Smith kid could be dangerous as 3rd receiver in the red zone.

27. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

28. By Mike R. on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Thank for the heads up Parkway! Wow..nice numbers…:-)

29. By Shawn on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Justin Hunter … NFL dot com

30. By Shawn on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I like Hunter better than Patterson already. How is Patterson a 1st round prospect?

31. By Jeremy on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

The WOW factor in Patterson running what…..drills????? Come on man that doesn’t even make sense!!!!!!!!!!

SPIELMAN hit me up for advice dog!!!!

32. By animal26 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Please Vikings, get Justin Hunter. Please!!!!!!!!!!!! He’s the receiver that we truly need.

33. By animal26 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

He’s shown that he’s healed up from his knee injury. We wont regret taking him. Great size, great hands, great speed, very physical, and a decent run blocker. He’s what we need

34. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

The 2013 draft is very deep at all positions,are Viking fans myoptic or what…Receiver is not the only position that they need to improve at…Trade down just like last year,obtain more picks in this years draft and draft the bpa…Thats the receipe for success in the NFL.

35. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Hunter could put on about 20-30 pounds. Has some issues with dropping though. I wouldn’t mind him in the 2nd but I’d rather have Rogers

36. By Champ Henson on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I just hope Spielman drafts players that can play, and play right away or a year down the road at the very least…..drafting a “bust” would be devastating after all this evaluation and speculation..

37. By Shawn on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Teo round 1 Hunter round 2

38. By Northern Norseman on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

39. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Though I don’t really want Teo, if he has a good showing I think someone will still take him before us. Unless Harrison Smith gives him a glowing endorsement and we move up for some reason.

40. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I think Spielman can draft…2012 draft Kalil,H.Smith,Robinson,Wright,Ellison,Childs,Blanton,Walsh,and Audie Cole…Crazy good.

41. By lovefromminnesota on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Here is what I think for a mock draft.

42. By Shawn on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

43. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Yeah now that Spielman is our true GM I think we will be a consistent 10+ win team from now on

44. By HOFCarter13 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

@lovefromminnesota I like your draft, i just think that we can get a better QB in late rounds than Gray. i liked gray as a gopher, but this is the pros.

45. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

46. By HOFCarter13 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

maybe instead of gray we go, cameron from LATech or renfree from duke

47. By lovefromminnesota on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, but Gray looked better than Mike Glennon today in throwing drills, thats speaks for something, am I wrong?

48. By HOFCarter13 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Glennon is obviously a better QB though in general but I see what you sayin. why that lutzenkirchen kid at te when we have got rudolph

49. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

It’s funny listening to everything. But if you are smart, you take what you can get, and what you want to take is a football player. I don’t care if the guy is 5-9, YOU HAVE TO ROLL WITH THE TALENT.

50. By lovefromminnesota on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Lutzenkirchen is a beast out of the TE spot, good vertical and Tight Ends are great for QBs. It all makes sense.

51. By lovefromminnesota on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Like what vikes- or – die said, you roll with the talent, you got for Lutzenkirchen because he is good, he dominates, he is a solid Tight End

52. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

J.Wright is fully capable playing the slot…Trade Percy to the Raiders we get their third overall they can have the 23rd and we will take an additional third rounder in this years draft…The Vikes can draft a quality big receiver in the 2nd round.

53. By Shawn on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

might have to take hunter in round 1 … i bet he starts shooting up draft boards

54. By lovefromminnesota on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

@tdurfeightyeight If we trade Percy to the Raiders, than we should get Darrius Heyward-Bey as well.

55. By liito on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Tavon Austin, a game changer . . . I believe it.

56. By liito on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I also like Hunter.

57. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Only if he has a great pro day. I don’t think the combine/tape alone will get him up into the first.

58. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

The game is changing. It’s fast and getting faster. If I was drafting, putting together a team, looking at free agency, if I wound up with 3 slot WR’s, but they could ball, I would be smiling.

59. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

This is the direction the NFL is going, BUT we have AD. We slow the game down. WHAT WE WANT MORE THEN ANY OTHER TEAM IS GAMERS.

60. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

It’s becoming the national passing league. With PI rules and defenseless receiver rules, teams that have a good passing game have a huge advantage.

We have the worst passing offense.

61. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

@lfm, 2013 Draft picks are what Spielman and Co. want for Percy…Harvin always seems to have health issues…The Vikes won four in a row with out him during crunch time…Think about it for a bit.

62. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

@ Pack all the way,Worst passing offense and the Vikes still won 10 games

63. By Parkway on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Your ignorant comment aside, that’s the point, imagine if we had a passing offense

64. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Ravens and Niners are both considered “run first and maybe 2nd as well.” kinda teams

65. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Ignit no… maybe it was a typo or whatever.

66. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Imagine all the people…living in harmony…yoo-hoo hoo.
    You may say i’m a dreamer…but i’m not the only one.

67. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Prakway
    What we have is a young QB, with WR’s that a more experienced QB could field. But I believe that will begin to swing this year, and you will like what you see out of Ponder.

68. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I love the beatles, but Lenon was way out in Left feild. You may say i am a dreamer and not the only one, but I don’t dig his anti God vibe. He wanted to chage the world, with his vocal cords.

69. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Ponder will be awesome this year– move over Rodgers, Stafford, and Cutler.

70. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

But I also love and have alot of respect for Lennon. I’m just saying.

71. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Lennon was a lost soul. No question.

72. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Lennon used his music to speak out against the government and certain organized religions…but i was using it as an analogy…The Vikings will never be a “pass happy” team under Coach Frazier

73. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Ya, Gov’t is what we say it is. I feel ya. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t like to be bullied when I know the truth, not like “OUR” gov’t so called reps. Or a better word might be, MANIPULATED.

74. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Instead of whining and crying, do something about what you don’t like. I know all about Lennon Turfdad– I was alive during all that. I am not like most of these bloggers who are tweeny boppers.

75. By Wally0390 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

we really need a big reciever on the outside who can stretch the field…I really like Justin Hunter…The dude is a beast and he would have been a top 10 pick if he didn’t get hurt last season…Even if we do lose Percy (which I really hope does not happen) I believe Jairus Wright can be a solid guy in the slot

76. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Frazier,
    Is a winner and is building a winning team. There is no box that’s fit’s a winner as long as he knows how to win.

77. By Carl K on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Hunter would be a good fit with Harvin.

Vikings are in a good position to trade back from pick #23 and get an extra 3rd or a 4th round pick… and still land Hunter.

78. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Wally0390,
    As far as i can see with my limited eye, is that Jarious Wrirgt is an answer, and one that will answer the call.

79. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Carl K, what do you mean that Hunter would be a good fit with Percy?

80. By robert knows pondersucks07 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

draft a qb third or fouth round well need it for the 2014 season already learning the sytem for one year after the failed pondersucks experience.ponder aka tjack

81. By Wally0390 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I also believe that Greg Childs can be a solid guy on the outside as well, but he has gotta stay healthy which is a big IF…if we could have Hunter and Childs on the outside with Percy in the slot and Rudolph at TE we can definitely have a much better passing attack…which will only help open up the running lanes for AD.

82. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Titus,
    God is love and is beyond comprehension. Compehend that understanding will cost you your life and embrace it. What do you think about that my bro?

83. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Wally0390, That may be something that Frazier has in his back pocket, but it is a gamble, that no man can answer. You have to go forward as if he may not come to form.

84. By Wally0390 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Very true, either way I believe we need to get two receivers in the first five rounds to add some depth at the position

85. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

86. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

87. By RichardA1 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Hunter looks awesome! he just might have Berzerk!

88. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

89. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

90. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

wally0390,
    Cool. But because the game is “so called” changing, “all though it is” you have to be able to adapt with the GAME. But make no mistake “D” wins championships. I hope that makes sense. I know it dosen’t, but I could explain.

91. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

92. By BitterTrentDilfer on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

If a top 15 LB or DT does not drop to 23 then the following would be my choice if their still on the board.
    1. C. Patterson
    2. T. Austin
    3. T. Eifert
    4. A. Olgeltree

93. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

BitterTrent Dilfer,
    I love that name because it is funny, but Dilfer guided his team to a Super Bowl. He did his job. I like Olgeltree, only because I must admit, I don’t know much about him, But I have learned to trust my instincts.

94. By Carl K on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Vikes or die- Hunter was a good fit with C Patterson at Tennessee. Patterson lines up all over the field like Harvin. Hunter averaged over 17 yards a catch.
    He can beat you deep but can also get open quick. Hunter is tall and fast and can work on the outside and sidelines. Harvin excels on the inside and in the middle of the field.

Their styles work well together.

95. By PurplHaze on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

So I guess a few drills in a controlled environment mean more than what players do on the field? I guess we can just chuck all the game tape then, and just draft based on the combine. Man, am I glad Spielman is the guy in Minnesota!

96. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

PurpleHaze makes a great point– a fish in a tank performs better than in the variable elements of the ocean.

97. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Dr Sir or madam can you read my book it took a year to write will you take a look, Its based a man, a man named lear but he wants to be a Paper Back Righter, Paper back righter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, GOO, GOO ka Chew. Speak, listen, but learn to listen. I was had a girl or should I say she once had me, My baby has been travelin on the one after 909, move over honey, So you wanna start a revalution… Well alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

98. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I once had a girl. To cool, to funny BUT SO GLAD I CAUGHT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Hunter is a bean pole…Don’t you wonder why Hunter did not do any bench presses ???…Because he probably isn’t physical enough to lift 225 lbs of weight…

Patterson is a poor route runner…And only in the college ranks for one year…Very raw…

Both are project receivers…Vikings need football players…Receivers who can step in and help right away…Patterson or Hunter will not be the players to fit that mold…imo…

Hopkins,Patton,Wheaton,Austin,Woods,Veron,Mellette etc…There are some legit solid receivers…

100. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Purplehaze,
    I totally like where you are coming from, and I like your reasoning, But, 90 miles an hour girl is the speed I drive, You say that’s it’s alight, you don’t mind a little pain, Just so long as I, take you for a DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

101. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Oh I guess I throught that you knew the lerix by the Late great Jimmy Hendrix. How about this. There is a town, in North Onterio, ALL the memories STILL in desprear, In my mind I still need a place to go…..

102. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

103. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

How about this one,
    Leaves are fallin round, I am on my way… Thanks to you I am much abliged, such as pleasent stay.. So it’s time for me to go. the autaum lights my way………..

104. By vikes- or - die on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

If I was a GM I would go after Revis, but there is no way in heck I would give what he is asking for. If Revis was smart he would come to Minnesota and make money off of his incentives.

105. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

106. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

B.e.a.t.l.e.s sooooo overrated. Today they would be nothing but a one hit wonder.

107. By Stoney on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Vikes or die, it’s Goo Goo Ga Joob. Titus, Beatles overrated? One hit wonder? I need what your puffin’ man. Your right on with a lot of Vikies comments, but way off on this.

108. By Brad S on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Hunter would be what the Vikings need a outside receiver. He has good speed and can jump to make tough catches. He don’t run routes over the middle, because of his size. The Vikings should pick him with their 2nd round pick.