Fellow Hall Of Famers, Peers Respond To Carter’s HOF Induction

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 2, 2013 – 5:16 pm

Professional athletes will tell you there’s no greater honor than to earn the respect of your peers. Vikings legend Cris Carter officially became an NFL legend on Saturday when he was named a part of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2013, and it’s apparent based on the reaction of his fellow Hall of Famers that Carter did indeed earn the respect of his peers.

Here’s a sampling of what some of Carter’s fellow Hall of Famers and other peers have stated in reaction to Carter being inducted as part of the Class of 2013.

“Scouts can’t measure instinct. All the great players have great instinct, and Cris Carter had as great of receiver instincts as any to ever play the game. He was an exceptional football player that knew how to adjust to the ball from the instant the ball left the quarterback’s hand. Cris had some of the greatest hands in the history of the NFL, and I personally never remember him dropping a ball.” — Bud Grant, Pro Football Hall of Fame 1994

“I played with a lot of prominent receivers but Cris Carter was by far the most talented and competitive. Having Cris was like having another quarterback on the field. He was such a great student of the game and knew defenses and routes better than anyone I played with. He was able to take advantage of opponents because of how much work he put in during the week. He wanted the ball in clutch situations and made big plays when they counted most.” — Warren Moon, Pro Football Hall of Fame 2006

“Cris Carter was as productive as any receiver in the mid-90s and his numbers prove that. He played the slot position as well as anyone. In terms of purely catching the football, I haven’t seen anybody in my time better than Cris Carter.” — Tony Dungy, former Tampa Bay and Indianapolis Head Coach and Vikings Defensive Coordinator

“When you needed a clutch catch to keep the drive alive, there was no one better than Cris Carter. And when the game was on the line, you wanted the play called to #80. As they said, all he did was catch touchdowns.” — Randall McDaniel, Pro Football Hall of Fame 2009

“Cris is one of the best receivers to ever play our game. His hands, route running and big play ability separated him from others at his position. It was always a challenge physically and mentally to play against him.” — Deion Sanders, Pro Football Hall of Fame 2011

“I’ve been around the NFL a long time, and know an elite receiver when I see one. Cris certainly fits that mold and deserves a place in Canton.” — Dan Marino, Pro Football Hall of Fame 2005

Tags: , , ,

26 Responses to “Fellow Hall Of Famers, Peers Respond To Carter’s HOF Induction”

1. By BlueBird7 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Yes, it is about time!!!!!!!

2. By Jeremy on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Congrats CC….best hands the NFL has ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!

I say bring him and Moss back next year…will definitely be an upgrade compared to what we currently have…

3. By Mike B. on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

That’s great news Carter is a quality player and quality person. Way to go.

4. By billbobagons1 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Finally the best hands that any reciever has ever has get in the HOF skol Vikings and congradulations CC!!!!!!!!

5. By vikingbob136 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Took a little longer than i expected, but we all knew it would happen.
    Congrats #80!

6. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Cris Carter was one of my favorite Vikings for a long time– it may have taken a long time, but be assured if it was just the state of Minnesota voting, Cris, you would have been in Canton on the first eligible year.

7. By dee jay born on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

C.C. !!!! Much congrats on the Hall of Fame. much deserved and long overdue…

8. By dee jay born on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

it just came across the NFL Network wire…AD MVP !!!

9. By PurplHaze on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Everybody needs to watch his video at the ceremony tonight. This guy is a consummate professional! He really embodies what the Minnesota Vikings are all about, and I’m so proud that he STILL represents this team so well! Congratulations Cris Carter!

10. By dee jay born on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

this just in. Adrian Peterson wins AP NFL Most Valuable Player Award for 2012

11. By RichardA1 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Congrats, I didn’t watch him to see if he was going to catch it, I was watching to see if he had to do one of his unbelievable catch’s, I already knew he was going to catch it. Going Berzerk here! time for a winter football game!

12. By Tomcat on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Congrats Mr. C.!!!

13. By Tomcat on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Shoulda been in 1st ballot.

14. By purplehorn on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

So happy that Cris Carter will be inducted finally. He should have gone in years ago but I’m just happy he is being recognized for the talent he was. THE Ohio St. University!

15. By liito on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations!

16. By Bryan Freese on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

His fingertip catches along the sidelines were unreal!Congtrats Bro!!

17. By Jaseana on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Congrats Cris! One of the best wide receivers of all time! Best hands of all time!

18. By jim t on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations Chris Carter on hall induction and kudos to the Vikings for beleiving in him and giving him the tools to succeed! one of the best all time . Thanks for the memories!

19. By Gary on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations Cris Carter, Greatest WR to play the game and I’m so glad you were a Minnesota Viking. Thanks for the memories. Hope you and your family the best and may God bless you always.

20. By vikingsfan1955 on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

I will say I had big problems with his critiques of the Vikings after he retired but I have to say as a player he proved he was one of the best receivers ever and I have seen him make many catches that rival rice. He was one of the best clutch players ever and when he came to the Vikings no one wanted him and we got the best barging in nfl history. The old tale is we paid 10 dollars for his contract but I’m sure that’s not true but trust me it was a ridiculously low price. He came to us and changed his attitude and ways and became one of the nfl’s best receivers ever congrats CC.

21. By Daniel on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Congrats Cris

22. By DAN THE BARBARIAN on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

JUST A COUPLE OF THINGS 1) THEY BOUGHT HIS CONTRACT FOR 100 NOT TEN DOLLARS 2) I AGREE HE WAS MY FAVORITE VIKING PLAYER ALSO 3) I STILL REMEMBER THE PLAY ( WHICH I COMPARE ALL RECEIVERS TO , INCLUDING MOSS,) HE WENT TO THE EDGE OF THE FIELD, BOTH TOES INSIDE THE LINE REACHED UP CAUGHT THE BALL WITH HIS FINGER TIPS FELL FULL BODY FORWARD TO THE GROUND AND HUNG UNTO THE BALL. MOST MAGNIFICENT CATCH EVER. NOW RECEIVERS ARE MORE INTERESTED IN NOT FALLING THAN CATCHING…………..CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS CARTER………….. NOT ONLY TURN YOURSELF AROUND BUT HELPED OTHERS ALSO……. REMEMBER THAT RANDY MOSS

23. By vikingsfan1955 on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

@DAN THE BARBARIAN Ty and yes you are right it was 100 dollars and what a buy there has never been another bargin like that in the nfl since so getting Carter for 100 From the eagles was the best deal of the modern nfl. That said we also made the worst bargin when we aquired herschel Walker, he was a great rb but not as a viking. Again congratys cc

24. By DAN THE BARBARIAN on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

Ya thanks for that Excedrine headache number 121 memory vikingsfan1955 I still can’t stop the old eye twitching over that one. I am glad they learned better over time

25. By ファッション雑貨 小物 幅広いシーンで活用して 史上最も激モバイルケース アクセサリー on Jun 18, 2014 | Reply

Hi there, I found your website via Google while
    looking for a comparable topic, your web site came up, it looks great.

I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, simply became aware of your weblog via Google, and located that it is truly informative.
    I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful when you continue this
    in future. A lot of other folks can be benefited from your
    writing. Cheers!

2. Aug 19, 2013: Warren Moon, Bud Grant React to Cris Carter Hall of Fame News - The Viking Age - A Minnesota Vikings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.