Frazier, Warren Honored At Fritz Pollard Alliance Awards Banquet

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 1, 2013 – 1:34 pm

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier and Vice President of Legal Affairs & Chief Administration Officer Kevin Warren were recipients of Fritz Pollard Alliance “Salute To Excellence” awards on Thursday night in New Orleans.

_VTW8126

The Salute to Excellence award recognizes the outstanding performance of minority NFL Head Coaches and Executives, collegiate coaches, and high school seniors during the current season. This recognition is particularly extraordinary as it highlights the tremendous efforts and sacrifices made by current and previous honorees that will lead to even greater opportunities for minorities seeking advancement opportunities.

“I am very honored, humbled and grateful to have received the Fritz Pollard Alliance ‘Salute To Excellence’ award last night,” Frazier said. “To truly understand the significance of what Fritz Pollard accomplished in his lifetime is special. This award and what it represents has major significance to the Minnesota Vikings franchise, our team and the many coaches of color who are all seeking an opportunity in the NFL.”

“I am very humbled to have been named a recipient of the Fritz Pollard Alliance ‘Salute To Excellence’ award,” Warren said. “This was a special evening, especially to share it with Leslie Frazier, a man for whom I have great respect and admiration. I am grateful to the Wilf family for the opportunity to play a significant role in the Vikings franchise and to be judged by my experience regardless of the color of my skin.”

The FPA was organized for the purposes of promoting diversity and equality of job opportunity in the coaching, front office and scouting staffs of National Football League teams, by means including:

*     Providing networking, mentoring and career development opportunities for minority candidates on NFL team staffs.

*     Encouraging adoption of rules and practices by the NFL that foster diversity on team staffs.

*     Educating NFL team owners and managers regarding the availability of minority candidates for team staff positions.

*     Advocating the hiring and promotion of minority candidates in NFL team staff hierarchy through public education and communication with team and league ownership and management.

Tags: ,

72 Responses to “Frazier, Warren Honored At Fritz Pollard Alliance Awards Banquet”

1. By VF209 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

thats good to see our coach getting some recognition…..hats off to you this year frazier….As a fan I feel confident in your abilities to lead this team and to coach at a high level with in the system that has been instilled here in Minni hopefully for many years to come……..skol vikes!!!

2. By VF209 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

oh by the way “1st”!

3. By Flap Jaw on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Wow, VF Do you recieve an award also? How about a SuperBowl ticket!
    Or will you settle for a bag of stale peanuts……………..

4. By Flap Jaw on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Where is Fraziers award for NOT taking the Vikings to the Supper bowl!!!
    Learned the play on words from that elite OC Mustgravy. Did it again……

5. By Runway on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Great job Wobbles– now time to talk about the Super Bowl.

6. By Parkway on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Let’s get FA started already

7. By Runway on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Patience, Parkway.

8. By GOAT Moss on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Flap Jaw I would like to meet you face to face…

9. By Shawn on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations Coach !!!!!

Well deserved.

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

10. By Shawn on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Im with Parkway … lets get on with free agency and the combine. Good grief the season has been over for like a month already :)

11. By Runway on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Yes, Shawn has the correct response.

Congratulations to Coach Frazier and and VP Kevin Warren! Your spirit of excellence shows.

12. By Shawn on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Im thinking WR depth will leave a good WR in the 2nd round Patton or Woods … So first round should be DT or MLB

13. By Runway on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Shawn, the season is not over until Sunday night.

14. By Parkway on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Levitre and Love for our new OGs

15. By liito on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations Coach Frazier and VP Warren.

16. By Flap Jaw on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

GOAT Moss………Baaaaaaaa. You will need to have your health insurance paid up. I think a good back hand would handle your hash.

17. By Northern Norseman on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

My favorite free agents to watch this off-season.

—- G Andy Levitre: 27 years old meaning he will have many good years ahead of him. Has not missed a game in his career showing his durability. Plays the run and pass very well which shows his versatility. Might have to dig in the bank to gain his services but it will help AP and Ponder while creating one of the best (if the not the best) left side in the NFL.

—- DE/DT Glenn Dorsey: 27 years old and has many miles left on the tank. He is at his best and thrives at the DT position in a 4-3. Cheifs drafted Dorsey and put him at DE in a 3-4. He has done decent up to this point but Id like to think he would far much better at DT in a 4-3. He has a great personality so no off field issues. He was a 5th overall selection in 2008…. he has the talent. Pair him next to Kevin and that could be a great combo. May even come cheaper than some other DTs if the others are not resigned by their respective teams.

—- WR Danario Alexander: This one is intriguing. Deanario is only 24 so he has yet to hit his ceiling. Standing at 6’5” 220lbs he is exactly the figure to pair along side Percy and has the athleticism to come along with it. Tricky deal is that he is a RESTRICTED free agent. So hopefully the Chargers don’t sign him to another contract but sign him to a tender. If they attach a 2nd or 3rd rounder then give up the pick and go after him. If they attach a 1st then that could make things interesting. Do you give up a 1st and probably a decent amount of money for the upside that is Alexander? I dont know. If there wasn’t a lot of value at #23 in the draft then I say do it but regardless this will be a player to watch this offseason.

—- DE/DT Arthur Jones: This guy is similar to Danario Alexander in that he is a RESTRICTED free agent. Arthur is an athletic freak with great size at 6’3” 315lbs and young at age 26. Comes from a family with great genes. (UFC Champion Jon Jones, NE DE Chandler Jones) He currently plays DE in a 3-4 for the Ravens but, again like Dorsey, would be a more effective dangerous fit in a 4-3 like he did in college at Syracuse. So depending on if the Ravens attach in his tender (being that they don’t sign him to a new contract) he could be a guy I would like going after. 2nd or 3rd tender I would make a move.

—-CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: Still young at age 26. One was regarded as one of the best DBs in the league. His play has slipped the past couple of years to the point of being benched a couple times if I am not mistaken. I have a gut feeling that Cromartie won’t break the bank as long as other DBs test free agency as well. Good size 6’2” 190lbs and with great hands (played WR in high school). His style and athleticism would bode well in the Tampa-2 defense. I would really like Cromartie in Minnesota. He’ll be interesting to watch.

—- CB Aqib Talib: I know Aqib Talib is not the most attractive option with his off the field troubles but if that is truly behind him and the Patriots system helped get him back on course I would at least be interested in checking him out. One of the league leaders in interception his rookie year and can be a good corner in the NFL. Can he be elite? That may be pushing it but with his talent and possibly cheap contract could make him an attractive free agent option.

—- S Jairus Byrd: Byrd is a stud and most likely will not come cheap. He is young and is a turn-over machine. I say why not just go after a star to pair up with Harrison Smith. Byrd had 9 interceptions his rookie year alone and has had at least 3 fumbles every year. He is praised on PFF and regarded as one of the better young safeties in the league. The only reason I would be content on not getting Byrd is the price and Sanford is an under rated S that can play pretty well. If the Vikings decide not to keep Sanford than outside of Levitre, Byrd is one of the few players I would open up the pocket books for.

Other notable free agents that will be interesting to watch:

G Donald Thomas
    WR Ramses Barden
    WR Josh Cribbs
    DE Michael Johnson
    RB Peyton Hillis
    CB Sam Shields
    DT Henry Melton
    T Jermon Bushrod
    LB Rey Maulaga

18. By Northern Norseman on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@Parkway

Im all on board with you on getting G Andy Levitre

As for G Demarcus Love starting on the other side….. not so much.

Fusco is actually coming along well. Remember that Fusco only has minimal playing time his first year so basically this last year was his first year playing signifant time. Other people within the organization also give him props for what he is doing in his only 2 years so far in the NFL. I would say that if Fusco keeps improving he will a pretty decent G in a year or 2.

I would feel comfortable continuing to start Fusco this next year and see where his development takes him. If after this next year he doesn’t look like the guy then you know its been 3 years and it may be time to move on.

19. By WRHopkins2013...aka...OTKalil2012 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

20. By Northern Norseman on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@WRHopkins

Very good article. I have come to respect Arif Hasans articles more than others in the past couple years.

21. By RichardA1 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

“The Berzerker” was here! Pay Percy? why pay him if it aint the money? what is going on with Percy??

22. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

By Northern Norseman on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@WRHopkins

______________

There was a lot of Work and research put into that article… ;-)

23. By Nicholas on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7R24OSpXVI Just imagine Phillip Thomas with Harrison Smith in the backfield. Draft him Spielman!!! (potentially could be a 4th rounder)

24. By Nicholas on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

I’m telling you, our secondary would be out of this world better if we were to pick up Phillip Thomas…probably my favorite lesser known prospect out there. DRAFT HIM!!!!

25. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Important dates for draft and free agency…

26. By Northern Norseman on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@Nicholas

I certainly wouldnt mind at all to pair someone great up next to Harrison Smith. Id love to have a lethal and dangerous S tandem

27. By Northern Norseman on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@Nicholas

One thing about Phillip Thomas though is that I would be a little shocked if he was there in the 4th round.

He certainly could be.

I think the 4th round will be too late. Its possible he could be there for us in the 3rd but that may not even happen.

If the Vikings were to take Thomas they would possibly have to use their 2nd rounder or trade their late 3rd into an early 3rd.

Besides all that he’d be intriguing to see dawn the purple and gold

28. By Nicholas on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@Northern Norseman

You’re probably right, he could be gone as early as the second round.

I’d love to see Spielman pull off another stellar trade scenario to stock up on more picks.

Harrison Smith and Phillip Thomas would put fear in the eyes of all WRs who dare share the field with them : )

29. By Northern Norseman on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@Nicholas

Then get Tyrann Mathieu with our first 4th rounder to bit the head off of Sharon Rodgers…… adding even more fear…. in fact the government may step in because society itself is in a dangerous state of fear….. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! ( laughing as lighting strikes)

30. By Nicholas on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@Northern Norseman

Good thinking, lets make Shaaron Rodgers look like Christian Ponder of week 9 vs the Seahawks 2012 regular season : )

31. By Nicholas on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Nothing against Ponder though…I was proud of him after the way that he played to get us into the playoffs vs Green Bay.

32. By Carl K on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@northern- Danario Alexander went undrafted because of a knee injury that kept him from working out at the combine.

The Chargers like him and need him. I can’t imagine that they would have any trouble resigning him. They need to resign him before he hits the market.

I just don’t think Alexander would be asking for a ton of money at this point.

Anyway, if they do put a tender on him, he will probably still be on the market after the 2013 draft… so if we don’t land a quality WR in the first 2 rounds, I would give up a 3rd round pick in the 2014 for him. Yes, I like Alexander.

I agree, he would be good opposite Harvin… But if we resign Harvin, I don’t think the Vikings will go after a free agent WR unless they have trouble drafting one.

33. By Nicholas on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@WR Hopkins Your name should actually be: WRHopkinsORILBOgeltree2013…aka…OTKalil2012

34. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Anyone see this on how New Orleans’ restaurants won’t serve Goodell?

Vikings fans and the Twin Cities restaurants should send him a care package.

35. By Tomcat on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Tomorrow CC goes to the HOF.

36. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

One would expect it.

37. By dee jay born on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

congrats to coach Frazier on getting the Fritz Pollard Award thursday..

38. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

The great Titus has returned for the Superbowl. I pick the Ravens to win.

39. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

40. By RichardA1 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

The Berzerker is back….100%….APRIL 25 DRAFT DAY 85ish days to go.

41. By Ozzinator on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

@ TITUS – I agree, send Goodell a care package!

42. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Titus…

Awesome idea !!!…Ziggy should have a personal chef from Mpls fly down in his personal jet…And grill up a steak dinner with all the trimmings for Goodell at a local park…Let media crews cover the action !!!…
    But have some security around also…hahaha… :-)

43. By BlueBird7 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

I think you picked wrong Titus. Don’t tell me you finally made a mistake!

I want the 49ers to win. Plus, Randy Moss would recieve the Ring he wants.

The ring he should have had during his years with the Vikings.

44. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Ziggy should have a present made up for Goodell’s dog…A urine post…A 2 foot high “wooden” statue…Of Brees in his Saints uniform holding up a trophy..With a plaque on the bottom saying ~ 2010 season…

First have Goodell come up to Mpls for that steak dinner…He could NOT get in
    St Louis…Then give him that post for Goodell’s front yard…For his favorite dog to use at will…Put the statue on the corner next to the fire hydrant…Let the neighborhood dogs enjoy some relief ???… ;-)

45. By WRHopkins2013 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Not yet Roger !!!…Wait until the Packers sign Matthews to a HUGE deal !!!…

Then we can all watch him shrink into a sack of skin and bones..Like he did the first time you threatened HGH testing…

Why ???…Is this taking soooooo long !!!!!…
    The players union agreed to this 2 years ago !!!..

46. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

If they can take Armstrong’s seven Tour titles away (when every winner in the Tour’s history probably cheated– or at least a majority of the riders each year), then take away the Saints Super Bowl!!!!

47. By Spike on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Congrats to Frazier and Warren. AP for MVP … CC for HOF!!!

Is it April yet?

48. By Northern Norseman on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Look at this article!

Sorry if someone has posted this but I havnt noticed this until now.

It’s about Greg Childs and his rehab. If anyone remembers the conversation that I had with Greg Childs late last November this article is nearly identical to the talks I had with Childs that night.

He appears to be moving along well in rehab and is trying to keep everything a “suprise”.

Childs grinned and said, “I can’t tell you all that. It’s a surprise. I can’t let you know everything.”

Nearly word for word what he said to me also. He expressed to me that since he has gone through this same rehab before that he has a good grasp on what to do this time around as well. I asked him if his rehab is going well since Ive checked everywhere (up to that time) but never found anything. Just like the article Childs smiled and said that very few know about his progress and wants to keep it a suprise.

This article just made my day. It’s as if I was the one conducting the interview but yet a whole 1 1/2 month earlier.

Im really interested in how he comes back.

49. By Northern Norseman on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

LETS DO IT CHILDS!!!

50. By Parkway on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Yeah that article has been around on here. The guy has blown out his knee twice. He’s not AD. If he can contribute anything it will be a bonus but I wouldn’t expect anything til midseason at the earliest.

51. By Northern Norseman on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Yeah I wont get my hopes up but I will hope for the best

52. By Northern Norseman on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Christian Ponder…. its just the beginning.

53. By Champ Henson on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Ponder looks like he’s fast enough. I’m hoping he’s working on developing his arm and shoulder strength during the off season, and also practices stepping up and into his throws.

54. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

SIGN PERCY

55. By Parkway on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Yeah the highlight reel of Ponder makes you think he could be a decent QB, unfortunately you could put together an equally atrocious lowlight reel.

Just needs to get his mechanics consistent and step through his throws and tone down the dumb mistakes and he should be at least average this next season.

56. By Vikings1 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

This just in, Toby Gerhart’s brother Garth was just signed to the Packer’s practice per Fansided Daily Sports’ Report as a center. @NN, I believe that if Ponder continue to work on his mechanics and upper body strength he will do well next season as he is learning better to read defenses and with better receivers, just my opinion!

57. By Vikings1 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

That is practice squad

58. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Ponder will surprise everyone this upcoming season– he is going to make Rodgers look like Sanchez.

59. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Tom Brady, step aside, there is a new sheriff in town.

60. By Carl K on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Yes, I agree with Parkway… I don’t expect anything till atleast mid season from Childs.

PUP for the first 6 games and work him in from there.

The Vikings are hurting at WR, so I think if he is not ready by camp, PUP would be worth the investment over cutting him.

Give him some time…. good luck to you Greg Childs.

Wendell Davis and Gary Baxter tore both patellar tendons and never saw the field in a regular season game after that.

Childs has a big advantage because the Vikings have Eric Sugarman!!!!!

Greenway, EJ Henderson and Arian Peterson have all successfully rehabbed and returned to play high levels after serious leg injuries.

Does Sugarman have one more rabbit in his hat for Childs?? I hope so!

61. By Vikings1 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

@Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus

One thing is for sure, he will be given tthe chance to make it or fail, I for one would love to see him prove all of his critics wrong!

62. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Vikings1– I only hope there is a backup in place who can do the job and that the coaches make a change rather than lose three or four games if Ponder struggles. These Harbaugh brothers should be the case studies for all other coaches on how to succeed.

63. By BlueBird7 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Titus, tell that to Frazier.

64. By Champ Henson on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Titus….I agree…the Harbaughs would not hesitate to bench anybody who wasn’t performing, even if it were a first round picked qb…..such as alex smith (or Ponder) or anyone else. Frazier’s stuborness cost the teamat least one win we could of had.

65. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Calling him now, Bluebird.

66. By Champ Henson on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

At least next year that “Ponder grin” that last year said…”look who I’m bedding down with” should be gone during his press conferences. And hopefully he’ll be concentrating more on football during the week.

67. By RichardA1 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

The Berzerk is the word!……….how can we sign Harvin, he doesn’t want to? dealing with him should be coming up, what’s going to happen? signed or trade, that is the question. Childs looked good on that highlight video, to bad he got hurt.

68. By Champ Henson on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

I think Harvin will be traded for a starter on the OL or DL along with one or two draft picks depending on how late they are in the draft. I don’t think the vikings will be picking at 23 either, there will be some positioning there also, either up or down naturally.

69. By Parkway on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Harvin will be signed to a long term. Probably around 6-7 mill base with heavy incentives

70. By Champ Henson on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

I think the vikings will have four new receivers on the roster next year. The team simply can’t afford to go another entire season (again) without 2 decent wide outs.
    Two out of the four should prove worhty of starting whether or not they are free agents or draftees.

71. By Champ Henson on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Parkway….I really hope you are right about signing Harvin, I like him a lot.

2. Feb 23, 2013: Vikings Blog | Vikings Honored At Fritz Pollard Alliance Awards Reception