Rudolph Becomes 6th Vikings Pro Bowler

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 23, 2013 – 8:04 am

The Vikings already had 5 Pro Bowlers. But a reinforcement is coming for good measure.

TE Kyle Rudolph has been named to his first Pro Bowl, as he replaces Tony Gonzalez for the NFC squad.

“When I first heard, I was surprised,” Rudolph said. “I’m just so excited and honored to be playing in the Pro Bowl. It is a dream come true, a dream I had since I was a little kid.

“Having six guys in the Pro Bowl says a lot about our team. All offseason we had the mindset and the mentality that the sky was the limit. We kept that to ourselves within the locker room and worked hard all off season. It paid off during the regular season.”

Rudolph tied for 1st in the NFC among TEs with a career-high 9 TD receptions during the regular season, which was good for 2nd in the NFL behind only New England’s Rob Gronkowski. The second-year product out of Notre Dame also recorded career-highs receptions (53) and receiving yards (493) in 2012.

Rudolph, who started all 16 games in 2012 and the team’s Wild Card playoff game, becomes the first Vikings TE to make the Pro Bowl since Byron Chamberlain did so in 2001. He joins fellow Vikings Jared Allen, Jerome Felton, Chad Greenway, Adrian Peterson and Blair Walsh in Hawaii.

Tags:

18 Responses to “Rudolph Becomes 6th Vikings Pro Bowler”

1. By Kyle on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

haha first

2. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Its a shame Kalil wasnt selected to replace Staley.

3. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

PAY PERCY

4. By Carl K on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Don’t be suprised Kyle… this will be the first of many.

5. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

6. By Rudso on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I’m more surprised that Kalil didn’t replace Staley as well rather than Rudolph replacing Gonzalez.

Kyle, don’t be surprised at all buddy! You are leading the NFC with TD’s. The other day, one of my friends who is a Packer fan jokingly said, “We’ll trade you Finely for Rudolph”. I laughed but I thought about it and could you imagine how DANGEROUS that would be with Rodgers?!? With Rodger’s ball placement and Rudolphs hands it would be an unstoppable redzone combination.

As a Viking fan I’m very proud of our Pro Bowls and it’s nice knowing that we could easily have 4 more in there with Percy, Kalil, Sulivan and Harrison Smith.

7. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

8. By RichardA1 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Because Rudolph is awesome and deserves is, had some impossible catch’s, seperated him from a o’k receiver to a great receiver, that extra effort he does we need from every player! not, darn I missed it or, hmm, it was just a little to hard to get!

9. By vikesince69 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

After watching the NFC and AFC championship games as well as all the other playoff rounds Im still feeling better about the Vikes QB position. I mean, I know Ponder is not elite and maybe never will be by numbers alone but look how Matt Ryan (rising star according to pundits) blew it for the Falcons. Two turnovers that were totally on him in the second half. Falcons ended up not scoring a point after the 1st half. And look at Tom (terrific) against the Ravens. Two picks and that game further revealed that a pass happy offense can be lethal when on but flat when it is off and playoff football is about field position and turnovers because you get everyone’s A game in the dance. Think about it, the games 3 most prolific passers Brady, Manning and Rodgers are all making Tee times and Flacco and Kapernick will be playing for the ring. Just further proves that you need good QB play but you dont have to be an HOF candidate to win Championships because football is still the ultimate team sport!!! Your welcome to disagree if you choose to be wrong.

10. By Rudso on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

vikesince69, I liked your post right until the last sentence.

11. By vikesny on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Congrats Kyle you deserved it.
    On another note just read a story about mobile quarterback at nfl.com. I wonder how an owner can expwct to pay so much for such athleticism and let them get slammed. QBs work their bodies different from other positions. Looking back Vick got hurt often but was the beggining of the prototype. RG3 out with torn up knees, yeah he’ll come back but at what level. Russell Wilson is nursing lots of.injuries none knocked him out…this year. Kaepernick is the one game away from being a great bet. I just named.the four best, think of.how many bad ones. I love watching these athletes but it’s a bad bet in the long run. Time will tell.

12. By vikesny on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Oh, and as of this date 47 superbowls…only Doug Williams, a type of running quaterback won…by passing.

13. By vikesince69 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

vikesny, I agree that running athletic QB’s are fun to watch and hard to defend if utilized properly; however their longevity is questionable at best. Kapernick is one hit away from being not so mobile. Too me this league just delivers to man hits for someone to constantly run a read option or pistol offense. Steve Young won a couple of SB’s and was considered an athletic QB but he run only when the passing game broke down and he was scrambling for yards. Risky to put all your franchise hopes in that basket.

14. By vikesny on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

@vikesince69
    I agree, that was my point. They will get hurt and then the team will suffer. One note, if kapernick wins and most of the others stay healthy for a year, more gms will gamble, I hope Spielman isnt one of them. The 90’s and 2000’s were a long time w culpepper, cunningham and tjack

15. By liito on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Well deserved. Congratulations.

16. By SkolVikes98 on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

@granddaddypurp………. well, I guess Kalil made it after all.

17. By mnsoldier on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

While it is good to have his hard work rewarded, I think playing a game is just a waste, the potential for players to get hurt in a useless game is too high and everyone but the NFL higher ups lose. Why dont they just do some dumb awards show and let the hollywood elite pretend they are fans of something they dont understand and let the rest of us watch the games that mean something.

18. By Marcus on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply