Who Is Aaron Mellette? Plus Other First Impressions In Mobile

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 22, 2013 – 12:08 am

I hadn’t been in Mobile more than an hour and hadn’t even sniffed a practice field, and yet I could already fill up a notebook of first impressions from the 2013 Senior Bowl. Before the vikings.com Blog becomes consumed by my practice reports and observations, let’s empty out the notebook from Monday as made the trek from Minneapolis to Mobile, by way of Atlanta…

– Before I get in to a few notes about my time traveling to – and in – Mobile so far, I want to mention a player down here at the Senior Bowl who has captured the attention of some already. His name is Aaron Mellette, and he is a wide receiver for the North team. Mellette measures in a 6-4, 215 pounds, so it sounds as if he has a prototypical build for an NFL WR. He played collegiately at Elon University, a school located in Elon, North Carolina and a program that competes in the Southern Conference. In his senior season, Mallette hauled in 97 receptions for 1,398 yards and 18 TDs. The reason I became aware of him is because I saw NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock upon my arrival in downtown Mobile on Monday night and before our conversation ended I had to ask him about Aaron “Mitts” Dobson. Mayock gave me a positive response on Dobson, but while he was doing that, Charles Davis, also of NFL Network, made a comment about Mellette’s performance on Day 1 of Senior Bowl week. Not sure what to make of it all yet, but it’s another name to add to the list of players to watch this week.

– I couldn’t help but pay attention to the temperature outside as I drove toward the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport to board my flight. One bank marquee listed the temperature as -3 degrees. The temperature here in Mobile isn’t anything incredible – 57 degrees when I landed – but it beats the heck out of -9. The weather in general is supposed to be pleasant here in Mobile for the week, with temps tomorrow of around 57 and increasing to 61 on Wednesday, 67 on Thursday and 68 on Friday. Last year inclement weather forced Leslie Frazier to move one of his practices indoors, a major bummer for the players and for NFL teams trying to scout the players.

– It’s awesome when pilots get on the PA system and declare to the passengers what route the plane will take to arrive at its destination. It’s frustrating to look down from your window and not know what’s below you. The pilot on our flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta extended the courtesy of informing us of our flight path. I appreciated it.

– The first thing I noticed when I got off the plane and entered the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport was the amount of San Francisco 49ers-clad travelers were scurrying around the building. The 49ers had of course just defeated the Falcons in the Georgia Dome the day prior, so the many 49ers fans who traveled to see their team play were on their way home.

– It was fun running into Chad O’Shea at the airport in Atlanta. He was an offensive assistant coach on Brad Childress’ staff with the Vikings from 2006-08, but took a promotion with the New England Patriots and joined Bill Belichick’s staff in 2009. Talk about a quick turnaround – O’Shea and the Patriots had lost the AFC title game less than 24 hours before I saw him in the Atlanta airport connecting to a flight for Mobile.

– It’s a different vibe down here this year compared to last year. Remember, last year Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier and his staff were in charge of the North squad. This year, Frazier and his staff are just like the other teams who aren’t coaching one of the teams. So it makes for a different environment all together, but it will still be productive for the coaches and scouts, and for the Vikings Entertainment Network (VEN).

– One thing is unmistakable – the people down here in Mobile love their college football. I sat next to a woman on the flight from Atlanta to Mobile, and she had so much to say about how much the Senior Bowl means to the Mobile community and she had so much to say about many of the players who’ve played in the Senior Bowl itself in years past, from current players such as Andy Dalton, Clay Matthews, Tim Tebow and Russell Wilson, to throwbacks such as Tee Martin (a Mobile native).

– Speaking of Mobile natives, there is a Mobile native who will be a senior next year and who, if he plays in the Senior Bowl, will be a bigger sensation than even Tebow. University of Alabama QB AJ McCarron. Yes, the back-to-back national champion who is looking to be a back-to-back-to-back national champion with head coach Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide. If McCarron does that, and if he chooses to come back to Mobile and play in the Senior Bowl, the scene down here next year could be nuts.

Tags: ,

55 Responses to “Who Is Aaron Mellette? Plus Other First Impressions In Mobile”

1. By Jake on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Will Mark Harrison, WR Rutgers, be there Mike? If so, would the Vikings consider him as a late round pick up?

2. By okemon on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

thanks for the update. it was a fun read.

3. By Jeremy on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Yeah for sure good read…its about time some FCS players start to get recognized…I like Aaron Mellette he could be a starter day 1 for us….also like Cordell Roberson from Stephen F Austin and Tyrone Walker from Illinois State….other players we should target are Aaron Dobson, Marquess Wilson from Washington St…We could probably take a few of these guys in later rounds if we decide to go defense with the first few picks

4. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

5. By Mike Wobschall on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Jake – Harrison is not here at the Senior Bowl. I don’t know anything about him, so I can’t comment on how he’d fit with the Vikings.

6. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Dobson

7. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Dobson is a Moss Type

8. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Mike W….

I believe the Vikings might look at QB late in the first round if the value is there…
    I think Tyler Wilson is a QB the Vikings might have interest in with the 23rd pick in the first round…

Mike W ~ Do you think QB is a “best player available” option for the Vikings in the first round ???…After the very poor showing of Webb in our playoff game… :-(

9. By Carl K on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Mike
    Have fun in Mobile. Thanks for the updates!
    How does safety Robert Lester on the South team look in practice?
    Could QB Landy Jones be an option for the Vikings in the mid rounds?
    Do you like Tyler Wilson with pick #23?

10. By Carl K on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Mike Wobby,
    Some mock drafts out on the web have DE Alex Okafor to the Vikings at #23.
    In the Alomo bowl Okafor flashed with 8 tackles and 4.5 sacks.

Does Okafor look like a beast… is he a “BPA” type pick at #23?

Brian Robison and J Allen are getting older… Could Everson Griffen and Okafor be the future at DE for the Vikings?

Give me the scoop on Okafor?

11. By Mike Wobschall on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I’ll have an eye out for him today. Thanks

12. By vikesny on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I hope frazier and staff don’t gamble too much on draft choices based on senior bowl. Last year we were in the mix and got a glimpse of intangibles like if a player is a good listener, good team player, good workout habits.This year we wont have that feel. The draft in 2013 should be good for us. We can not afford a wasted top pick.

13. By Rick on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I will be happy with any receiver we draft as long as he is big and can fight for the ball down the field I’d like to see Justin Hunter in purple but i feel he will be off the board long before we draft. Another player I would like to see in purple is David Amerson Winfield is getting to the end of his career and a defensive backfield with Cook Smith and Amerson could be a total shut down defense. I almost think that if Amerson is available when the vikings draft in the first round pick him up. Da’Rick Rodgers should still be available in the second round maybe take a gamble on him, the vikings staff seems to know how to handle players with character issues. 3rd round pick up a DT or LB 4th round a QB 5th round DE 6th round OL 7th round DB

14. By vikesny on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

History shows there is talent available in the 23 pick but also some busts. Many of them could arguably have been the best player available, some were reaches like
    Last 20 players selected No. 23 by position: 5 — Cornerback winfield
    4 — Running back mendelson mcgahee
    3 — Offensive tackle including oherr and bulaga
    3 — Offensive guard joseph
    2 — Defensive end mims
    1 — Linebacker harris, who we traded randy moss for
    1 — Defensive tackle
    1 — Wide Receiver

– Seven of those 20 players made a Pro Bowl roster (Bowe, Joesph, McGahee, McAllister, Winfield, Hartings, Law).

15. By vikes- or - die on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I really hope we are able to get a DT and LB out of the first and 2cd rounds. Then WR and OT out of the third and forth rounds. Our defense is not far from being a GREAT defense.

16. By 32frank12 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Hey Mike Wobs. and anyone else Wanna hear your opinions but the corner out of Washington Trufant can’t remember his first name I was watching the Senior Bowl practice yesterday and he popped out to me I thnk they said his older brother plays for the Seahawks but he is 5’11” not super tall but he is very physical and the wideouts were not getting much seperation from in the one on one drills….what do you guys think about this guy as a mid round pick?

17. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@vikesny

Good work.

Being at #23 is not bad at all since almost every draft you will see a couple players that we projected top 10-15 always slip to the mid-20s

18. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Rick

I am a fan of CB David Amerson.

He fits the Vikings defensive system very well playing press coverage but in cover 2 he would make that window very tough to fit a football into because of his size, long arms, and amazing hands.

He seriously had receiver hands. The Vikings also have preached last couple of years about getting CBs with size to match up with Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and now James Jones. With his 6’3” frame he could match up well with them.

I would definitely be happy to take him in the 2nd round if there. Even trading up in the 2nd round I would be okay with.

19. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Carl K

I really enjoyed watching DE Alex Okafor last couple of years. Can be a stud at the next level.

I think the Vikings are just fine without taking a high draft selection at DE for another year unless the organization is seeing someone (maybe Okafor) that is simply too good to p@ss up. Between Allen, Robison, and Griffen they are set for the next year but one can never have too many p@ss rushers as one would say.

Unless someone is far to talented to let by in the first 3 rounds then I would be fine with taking him. Otherwise I would think the team would be better off taking a DE in rounds 4-7.

Remember that Robinson, Edwards (turned to garbage but was productive when he was a Viking) and Griffen all came in the 4th round. In fact, Griffen game from an early Lions selection in the 4th round and the Vikings have the Lions early 4th rounder this year as well.

Ever draft is notorious for having a handful of 1-2 rounders falling to the 4th round. Just watch, every year it happens.

20. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Terrance Williams looks like garbage in senior bowl practice so far

21. By 32frank12 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@ Parkway…I agree just got done watching the one on one drills with db and wr and Williams does not look anything close to being a 1st pick…I was impressed by Patton and King..wbu?

22. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

My thoughts exactly, Patton and King looked great.

23. By 32frank12 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I would be satisfied with either Patton or King…how tall is King?..do you know?…I really hope we can get a stud LB or Dt 1st pick and if we have to move up to grab Patton I would be a very happy fan.

24. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

King is only 6′ he’s projected as a 5th round right now

25. By 32frank12 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I would love to get like I said a stud LB or DT first and if we have to move up to grab Patton do it maybe then with our original 2nd get Amerson or Poyer (North squad player from Orgeon st.) Poyer looked great. then BPA and maybe grab King in late rounds thatd be a nice draft

26. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Wasn’t too impressed with Jenkins right there, he’s supposed to be a guy to take on double teams and was having some trouble with one guy.

27. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Parkway

Seriously agreed!

I am not that big on Terrance Williams…. I honestly cannot see what the big deal around is.

Is he good?…… Yeah I think he is but man is he over hyped by some people.

He is not in my Top 5 WRs for this draft…. come draft day he may not even be top 10 for me… no joke.

I could end up eating my own words 3 years from now if he turns out to be a decent WR but I bet he wont….. stay away Vikings… there are better fish out there.

28. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Tyler Wilson didn’t look at all sharp today…

Quisenberry and Fisher looked good along the O-line…

29. By 32frank12 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Patton is a way better pick at 23 than Williams would be. Patton showed me today that he can creat seperation. He looked very fast out there with great hands. I really hope Patton ends up in Purple next year.

30. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I have to agree with the scouts this season…

I am not seeing a QB worth a first round grade in this group of QB’s playing in the senior bowl…

31. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

A WR that people seem to forget about is Robert Woods.

He may not be physically imposing but still has fairly decent size at 6’1” 190 but this guy can just flat out play football.

Runs great routes and can catch some really touch football throws.

Right at the moment Im not sure where I would feel comfortable taking him… maybe late 1st or early-mid 2nd round would be fine.

Just find it odd that I have not heard much about him for a while since he really is a good WR.

He is close to a top 5 WR in this draft for me

32. By Shawn on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Robert Woods is a good name to keep in mind … I heard one scout compare him to Reggie Wayne.

33. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Shawn

That actually is a good comparison. good catch

Some Robert Woods highlights.

34. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Take an RB if there is a good one– we need to groom a successor. You watch– Spielman may take one.

35. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I could see us taking a RB in rounds 5-7 to find a quick speedy guy as a changeup back, but it won’t be to replace AD. He signed a 6 year extension and he’ll still be a 1000 yard back til the end of his contract.

36. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

In six years AP will be 33– time to get someone to be his understudy.

37. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Yeah and AD is a freak, he’ll be dominant another year or two, and he’ll still be a thousand yard back after that which is as good as most teams out there and we will just have to improve our passing game.

38. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Parkway

Yeah if it happens it will be 4/5-7 rounds.

Unless a RB comes up that is far too good to pass up then I would pull the trigger.

Like an Eddie Lacy falling to the 3rd round….. which i know will not happen but some very weird stuff happens on draft day. I hope the Vikings trade and get at least something for Toby Gerhart next season. He not only deserves to get more playing time somewhere else but we all know he won’t resign with the club so we might as well get something from him. Maybe a 3-4 rounder would be nice.

39. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

And there is the point right there, we already tried the ole “take a RB too good to pass up” which ended up getting gerhardt and we don’t even use him. So there is no point.

40. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

If there is an RB that catches Spielman’s eye he will bring him in– trust me. It is like having Rodgers sitting under Favre. Plus I wonder about a few of those Toby fumbles– and what is in Spielman’s mind. Don’t mistake me– Toby can really pound the ball. Just saying if an RB looks really promising, don’t be surprised if he gets drafted.

41. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Just sayin’ Parkway!

42. By Shawn on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Late Round RB is a possibility but it wont be to replace AP … it will be to replace Toby. Who is entering his final year(?)

43. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Shawn

Exactly.

Although I wouldn’t be mad if the Vikings drafted a RB in the 3rd round that should have gone somewhere in the 1-2 rounds but it is simply a best bet to get a RB in rounds 4-7.

Only just a few examples out of many but Arian Foster and Alfred Morris should be a good reason to get a RB later than can develop into a good RB especially when it is not an overly pressing need for the Vikings at the moment.

44. By RichardA1 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I still like “The Berzerk Defense”…….I think (My one brain cell still works!) they should get some of these all pro players that are retired, like receiver Carter, for instance, when they go to see what they think of some of the players, Carter or some other proven athlete, would no what it takes to be a great receiver, use them to cut thru the b.s..

45. By john61 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

agree we dont use the 2 backs we have now

46. By vikesny on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

We need toby, he is a workhorse.. Why waste pick on a rb this year. Toby has earned his spot. Its scary how many toby haters are out there. Depth wins championships, get deep at dl, ot, db, wr, lb AND qb. Our runningbacks are one of if the best 1-2 backs in the league. RB in 7th round maybe. We NEED a WR, DT,OG CB,FS, LB, Punter (unless we can get kluwes meds right) and backup DB,CB OT. DB’s and WR’s are our priority. If our baacks can defend 2 more seconds our D Line will get more sacks, hurries, and knockdowns which leads to fumbles and ints.

47. By 61Vikings on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

DT in the first round, WR in the second!!! Robert Woods or DeAndre Hopkins in the second round if there still available!!!

48. By James on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

what about Cordarrelle Patterson? I hope he falls to us at 23. Yes, he is still kinda raw but he have high potential. BTW, he is listed at 6’4 also.

49. By James on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

not to mention, he did beat amerson a couple of times also.

50. By okemon on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I too like Cordarrelle Patterson. I’m worried he will fall to miami at #12. I think this guy has the potential to be another player like Harvin and AD (able to score at any time he touches the ball). I like his speed, size, quickness, and the IT factor he seems to possess.

51. By Coreen Papale on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

This may not be the best place to ask this, but I want to know if I’m eligible for a higher priced rental and I can’t figure out how to find a good, local property management firm… do you know anything about this company? They’re based out of Sacramento, CA 15 minutes from my office and I can’t find reviews on them – Sacramento Property Management Consultants, 600 H St Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 282-3103.

52. By grow taller blog on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

Hurrah, that’s what I was searching for, what a information! existing here at this website, thanks admin of this web site.

53. By 2 Man tent on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Hi, always i used to check weblog posts here early in the daylight,
    since i like to find out more and more.

2. Jan 22, 2013: Senior Bowl South squad practices in Fairhope - Gulf Coast News Today | Jag BuzzJag Buzz
  3. Jan 22, 2013: Senior Bowl practice notes: Day 1, South Team - Mile High sports | Jag BuzzJag Buzz