South Practice Notes: Trio Of WRs, One DE Impress

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 22, 2013 – 6:40 pm

The South team took the field at Ladd-Peebles Stadium for an afternoon practice at 1:30 on Tuesday, and I assumed the same position for their practice as I did for the North team’s practice in the morning. So the notes below will focus on the drill work and 11-on-11 action that happened right in front of me.

For Wednesday’s South team practice, I’ll be sure to spot myself in an area that will give me good vision to positions that are not covered in Tuesday’s notes…

WRs fun to watch
The South team has three WRs that caught my eye throughout Tuesday’s practice. We’ll go alphabetically and briefly address each one…

– The Vikings selected two WRs from Arkansas in last year’s draft – Greg Childs and Jarius Wright. And now there’s another one who will be eligible in this year’s NFL draft who may make some NFL team very happy. His name is Cobi Hamilton and he had a good day on Tuesday. Hamilton measured in at just under 6-2 and at 199 pounds, a frame that would suggest he’d play the X (outside) receiver spot in the Vikings offense. But I think he has the agility and skill set to play Z (inside/slot) receiver in an offense, as well. Granted I didn’t watch all of his snaps and I haven’t watched a second of film on him, but Hamilton appears to be a smooth route runner who makes catches look easy.

– You might not think of Louisiana Tech as a program that churns out talented players regularly, but they’re about to churn out an extremely talented receiver named Quinton Patton. A quick look at his highlights will get you excited to see what he can do at the NFL level. He appears to have a great burst and great long speed, and I also thought he ran clean routes and caught the ball smoothly. Patton lined up all over the field on Tuesday and on some of his film I’ve seen him line up wide, but I wonder if he wouldn’t be a tremendous slot receiver in the NFL.

Baylor’s Terrance Williams has gotten a lot of pub in this space the past few weeks because he’s been placed with the Vikings on many initial mock drafts. Of all the receivers – for both teams – on the field today, Williams appeared to me to be the most fluid and “pro ready.” Again, what I saw today is a blip on the radar screen when you consider these players’ body of work, and my designation of “pro ready” is something with which you should carry a grain of salt (I once said there would be no way Jimmy Clausen would slip from the 1st round). But for what it’s worth, Williams looked sharp today and I have little doubt he’ll be an impact player as a rookie in the NFL.

On the edge
In much the same way “Sly” Williams dominated the North team’s practice in the morning, Georgia DE Cornelius Washington displayed flashes of dominance during the South’s practice. He was easily the most impressive defensive lineman on the field, and he did it with a variety of pass-rushing moves.

The move that caused the biggest stir in the bleachers full of coaches and scouts was a bull rush he put on a player I couldn’t identify – it was as if he was shot out of a cannon. Washington also exploded past Virginia OT Oday Aboushi during one-on-ones and it was an impressive, quick move.

Washington did show a propensity to jump offsides, however. I counted 3 times in which he jumped, and it drove Detroit’s defensive line coach nuts. Each time Washington jumped offsides during a one-on-one drill, the coaches would take him from the drill and replace him with LSU DE Lavar Edwards, who had an up-and-down day. On one occasion when Washington was replaced with Edwards, it was Aboushi who benefited because he stepped up and stonewalled Edwards.

Offensive line dominant early, defensive line recovered late
The impressive performance from Washington notwithstanding, it was the South’s offensive line that looked dominant for much of the practice. I particularly noticed the South’s interior linemen performing well. Georgia DT Jonathan Jenkins entered this week’s Senior Bowl has the most-hyped defensive lineman on the South team, but the performance of the South interior line shut Jenkins down for most of the early part of practice. I was also impressed with Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson, who on back-to-back plays shutout Clemson DE Malliciah Goodman.

As the practice wore on, though, the defensive line turned it around. Washington started to dominate, Jenkins began to overpower the interior, and even fellow DTs Everett Dawkins (Florida State) and Cory Grissom (South Florida) eventually got in on the action and flashed ability.

Tight ends are intriguing
The South team has 3 TEs listed on the roster – Vance McDonald (Rice), Mychal Rivera (Tennessee) and Michael Williams (Alabama). Rivera looked the most fluid catching the ball today. He looks to me like a player who, if he reaches his potential, will be better than the NY Jets Dustin Keller but not quite as good as New England’s Aaron Hernandez. I’ll try to get a better look at McDonald and Williams during Wednesday’s practice. Williams was one of our 10 players to watch from earlier in the week.

Misc.
Cal CB Marc Anthony was impressive in the late stages of Tuesday’s practice. He had a back-to-back sequence of plays where he angled off a RB from across the field and prevented a would-be TD and then followed that up by jumping a quick slant route and recording a PBU (pass break up). Then at the very end of practice, Anthony deflected a ball that was intercepted and returned for a TD by Florida State LB Vince Williams.
— Returning kickoffs for the South on Tuesday were: SE Louisiana CB Robert Alford, Georgia Southern DB JJ Wilcox and Williams & Mary CB BW Webb.

Tags:

73 Responses to “South Practice Notes: Trio Of WRs, One DE Impress”

1. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Congrats to Kyle Rudolph!

2. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Now PAY PERCY

3. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

How didnt Matt Kalil replace Staley as the LT in the Pro Bowl?

4. By Derrick.G on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

All these names are nice and all, but I’m only interested in players that can help OUR team. I don’t care what they can do in the NFL, I wanna know what they can do for US.

5. By john61 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

agree pay harvin, and pick up a fa receiver ,and go all D in this year draft,lots of good d players and we need 5 of them,

6. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Happy days to be a Vikings fan. Vikings are on the rise.

7. By kaiser24 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

pay percy. sign dwayne bowe. cut John Carlson. draft the best DT/WR/MLB 1st round.

if we let percy go or trade him we NEED a #1 and 2 receiver and a new return man.

8. By kaiser24 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I like the USC reciever

9. By kaiser24 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

this is my 1st round WR

10. By kaiser24 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Robert Woods USC WR

11. By PurplHaze on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

News Flash, Wobbster ….. THE VIKINGS DON’T NEED A SLOT RECEIVER! THE VIKINGS NEED A BIG BODIED OUTSIDE RECEIVER THAT CAN GET SEPERATION AND CATCH THE FOOTBALL@LL!!!

12. By PurplHaze on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Is Wood even predicted first round? Unlikely!

13. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

He must not have been paying attention because T. Williams looked terrible out there today.

14. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Are there any good quarterbacks in this draft that might be around by the 23rd pick?

15. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Runway

Are you seriously implying the Vikings draft a QB at #23??????????

16. By Jeremy on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

if we draft a quarterback with our first pick im gonna punch myself in the face….there are plenty of viable experienced back ups if Ponder truly is the answer…I wouldnt draft a quarterback again until we figure out if Ponder is the guy.. not so sure though but ive been wrong before…..still think we should trade for vick especially if he agrees to a pay cut with the Eagles…I think Parkway said he was a free agent which he isnt he has one 15 million year left.not at that price no matter where he goes

17. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Seriously asking, but whether I believe it is the best strategy, it depends. If there is a Colin Kapernick or Russell Wilson available then– oh yes, I am serious. Webb has proven little. MBT looks to me like a winner, but he is untested. And Ponder in the long run, is an unknown.

18. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

The Eagles have to pay him or cut him

19. By Jeremy on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Yeah like 4 million is all by early next month i think…???? not sure though i know he has one year left on contract but being cut is a possibility i would assume…not likely though
    Are Parkway and Runway brothers?????

20. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Jeremy

Haha love your first sentence… as i would punch myself in the face too.

You also know where I stand on the whole Vick subject after our rant.

The only way I would be okay with it is if he takes a severe pay-cut (big time!) like you said and we trade at best a 6-7th rounder. That is at the most I would be willing to put up with.

Overall I would much much rather go after a veteran in free agency that has a similar playing style that can help mentor Ponder through his development…. Vick simply wouldnt be that guy.

My favorite free agents to back up Ponder are:

Matt Moore
    Chase Daniel
    Tyler Thigpen

21. By Tomcat on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Spielman will take a DT 1st unless Ogletree is there.

22. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Jeremy

Ha sometimes while reading Ill get Parkway and Runway mixed up if I skim by too fast.

Oh by the way I am really really digging LB Jordan Campbell. Id be perfectly fine if the Vikings drafted him.

23. By Tomcat on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Vick will never be a Viking.

24. By Carl K on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Quinton Patton measured in smaller than expected at 6’0.
    That might be too short for a true #1 WR.

I like Cobi Hamilton but what are the odds the Vikings draft another Arkansas WR?

25. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Tomcat, are you sure? There still is the PHILLY CONNECTION!!

26. By Parkway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I like the Matt Moore option, teach MBT to be a QB

27. By Tomcat on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Sure I`m sure. No Vick in the Vikings future.

28. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Never say never, but I would tend to agree with you. Vick is baggage we don’t want– and Spielman’s MO tells me he wants none of it.

29. By Tomcat on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Matt Moore would be an option. Doubtful though.

30. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Yeah I just dont see Vick stepping foot in Minnesota in any way possible.

31. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

No, NN, you are so right. We may be okay with Ponder, but we need to replace Webb and let MBT get some work. I

32. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I really like how the DT position looks in free agency this year.

Im sure the Vikings will get someone from the bunch

33. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Who are you guys picking in the Superbowl? Man this is a tough one. I am leaning Ravens, but so slightly.

34. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

My gut is going with the Ravens.

Besides I could care less to see the 49ers head coach win because he is such a grade 1 jack face… can’t stand him. Good coach but I seriously do not care for his attitude or personality while his brother on the Ravens side is very nice and down to earth.

35. By David on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I really like Quinton Patton I think he could develop into a great wide reciever

36. By Tomcat on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

9ers pound `em in the Superbowl.

37. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

NN– we think alike. I do see a little of the same in both Harbaughs, though. Niners Harbaugh was really bad here at the dome when he was yelling over challenges he should not have had–

38. By Tomcat on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Harbaugh would challenge the second coming.

39. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

A little on the Harbaugh rivalry– seems like even the parents are intense. Crazy family but they know how to win.

40. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Runway

Haha I couldn’t believe how childish he looked during that moment you spoke of. Like yeah i can see any head coach getting a little heated or aggravated but man he was like a kid that just had his favorite hot wheels car swiped from him.

41. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Tomcat, hahhaha. He would probably try to close up the clouds.

42. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Ray Lewis and Flacco will win this one.

43. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

NN– now that you say that, the two do look like they are mad toddlers on the playground– even Jim (is that Ravens– I get them confused) gets heated up pretty quickly. That USA article I posted above says the parents, when they watch a game, get so intense. Intense genes.

44. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Runway

No I believe Jim is the 49ers head coach and he is the worst of the two…. I would say by far. He is an idiot.

I could almost slap him…. one person I could slap in the face is Jeremy Piven!

Sorry Entourage fans…. I cant stand that guy.

45. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

NN– yeah, John was so nice after the AFC Championship– did you see how long he wanted to talk with Belichick? Not a two second handshake. And I noticed Belichick looked soooooooo uncomfortable. Like, let me outta here, I lost and need my alone time.

46. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

John Ravens
    Jim Niners

Now I have that straight.

47. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I know how to remember– JR from Dallas! John Ravens.

48. By Northern Norseman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@Runway

Yeah neither are cake walks but I still dislike Jim more.

49. By Runway on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Agreed. Time for my beauty sleep. Peace.

50. By CaribooBill on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

It should be called the HARHARBowl

51. By Jeremy on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Here is a video on Jordan Campbell doing some workouts….shows how hard of a worker this guy is along with some of his athletic ability…

I would love for the Vikings to atleast take a good hard look at him…he runs like a 4.5 40 and has ties to current Vikings players from USC like Everson…he was behind Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing at USC…when given opportunity to start he flashed but an injury cut that short as well as great depth at the position so he went and shined for New Mexico Highlands for two years…

The kid is a stud and is just the type of hard working, good character type guy that Spielman likes…

Oh and also he can punt the football 89 yards…true story look it up…bye bye Kluwe…???

52. By Jeremy on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Here is a highlight video of his senior season with New Mexico Highlands….

Mike W. do you know if he is at the senior bowl or have you heard anything about him??

53. By okemon on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Great Updates. I’m really excited about this draft. Any thoughts on David Quessenberry, a guard out of san jose state. He intrigues me, although we may have to trade back to get him (unless his stock rises). He has quick feet and they’ve placed him at right tackle and he still did ok.

Thanks,

54. By Carl K on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

You da man Kyle!

55. By Carl K on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I think the Vikings will bring in a QB to compete with Webb for the #2 job.

Matt Moore is tops on my list but he wants to go somewhere he can compete for the starting job. The Jets might give him that chance… Matt made 2.75 million last year… that is more than what Ponder makes…

I am afraid Matt Moore is too much to wish for.

So next up is Tyler Thigpen… He fits… so if this is going to happen it will happen before the draft. If not, I think I would look at Tyler Brey in the second round.

If Harvin has a problem with Ponder, this should help keep him happy. Money will help too.

Justin Hunter round 1
    Tyler Brey round 2
    Resign Harvin
    Draft or sign a quality 3rd down back

And our 31st ranked pass offense will move in the right direction!

56. By Northern Norseman on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

@Jeremy

Im also on board with this guy. Jordan Campbell would look good in horns

57. By Northern Norseman on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

@Jeremy

Oh and to answer your question he is not at the Senior Bowl this week

58. By Northern Norseman on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

@Carl K

I agree with your Matt Moore and Thigpen takes. Dont count out Chase Daniel from the Saints. Although his situation might be that of a Matt Moore or Matt Flynn in wanting to go somewhere to compete for a starting job out of the gate.

As for Tyler Brey….. no way the Vikings will draft him second round.

First Tyler Brey will not go in the second round at all. He may not even go in the 3rd either.

At best he may squeeze into the 3rd but is more of a 4th-5th round projection.

I really think the Vikings might skip the QB position all together. McCloud Thompson will be on the roster for next year leaving that 3rd spot for a veteran free agent.

If they take a QB during the draft process it will be in the far late 5-7th rounds or he will be an undrafted free agent.

Using a 1-3 rounder on a QB would be an absolute waste of a draft selection…. a waste.

It simply won’t happen.

59. By Jeremy on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Holy sh** Jordan Campbell is a stud….it will be a huge mistake if we let someone else draft him….but honestly I just hope he gets drafted by anyone because when we do watch Sunday football, this kid is gonna show up to make plays……WORK ETHIC….second to only Ray Lewis…

60. By Megakrab on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I just read an article that our vikes went to Jordan Campbell’s junior game last spring to scout him… Looks like he’s already on our radar. SHHHH!!! lol

61. By Norco Viking fan on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Jordan Campbell is as dedicated a player as there is. Look into his connection to Toby Gerhart and Garth Gerhart (who’s on Packers practice squad). Campbell went to Norco High with Toby and you’re right …..he is a stud and deserving of a shot to show what he can do!

62. By Tyson Collier on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Jordan Campbell’s Pro Day was March 7th and he impressed. At 5.10.5 he weighed 248.5, ran a 4.58 40, benched 225 lbs 35x, jumped a 36.5 vert and his 3 cone shuttle was a 4.2,

63. By Tyson Collier on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Tyson Collier says:
    March 11, 2013 at 7:37 pm

64. By know more info on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

It’s truly very complicated in this busy life to listen news on TV, so I simply use internet for that reason, and take the hottest information.

65. By general on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Wonderful site. Lots of useful information here.
    I’m sending it to some buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks to your effort!

66. By Trisha on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for discounts

67. By Colleen on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog before but after browsing through many of the posts I realized it’s new to me.

Nonetheless, I’m certainly happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

68. By garciniagoals.com on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Excellent way of describing, and fastidious paragraph to get information regarding my presentation focus, which
    i am going to convey in university.

69. By amazon coupons on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for finally talking about >South
    Practice Notes: Trio Of WRs, One DE Impress | Vikings
    Blog <Liked it!

70. By YouTubet Likes on Aug 8, 2013 | Reply

Howdy! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out
    and say I truly enjoy reading through your articles.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the
    same topics? Thank you so much!

71. By Estrategias de Mercadeo on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

Everything is very open with a clear description of the issues.
    It was definitely informative. Your website is very helpful.
    Many thanks for sharing!

72. By seo vps on Oct 4, 2014 | Reply

I do not leave many comments, but after looking at a bunch
    of responses on Vikings Blog | South Practice Notes: Trio Of WRs,
    One DE Impress. I do have a couple of questions
    for you if you do not mind. Is it just me or do
    some of the comments come across like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on additional social sites, I would like to keep up with everything fresh you
    have to post. Could you post a list of the complete urls
    of your shared sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page
    or twitter feed?

2. Mar 26, 2013: Vikings Blog | Ranking The Draft’s “Explosive” Prospects (And Finding One For The Vikings?)