Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 21, 2013 – 11:16 am

As has been the case each year since 2009, the number of underclassmen who’ve declared for the NFL draft has increased. The NFL announced last week that 73 players have been granted “special eligibility” for this year’s draft, a figure that is up from 65 in 2012 and 56 from 2011.

On top of the raw number of underclassmen who’ve declared for this year’s NFL draft, it’s also interesting to note the quality of underclassmen who’ve declared. Widely-projected Top 10 picks such as Texas A&M LT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore, LSU DE Barkevious Mingo, Georgia LB Jarvis Jones, Florida State DE Bjoern Werner and Alabama CB Dee Milliner are all underclassmen.

With the number of underclassmen declaring for the draft continuing to increase and with the number of quality underclassmen declaring increasing as well, event such as the Senior Bowl become that much more important. The Senior Bowl is now the most important moment for the nation’s top seniors because it’s their opportunity to showcase themselves to the NFL at a time when the NFL is not otherwise concerned with underclassmen.

Even more important than the actual game, though, is the week of preparation leading up to the game. NFL coaches and scouts will watch each team practice for several days leading up to Saturday’s game, and they’ll cram in as many interviews as possible off the field with these seniors this week because when NFL teams descend upon Indianapolis in late February for the Combine, much of their focus when it comes to the all-important interview process will be on underclassmen.

Yes, the fact that so many underclassmen are declaring for the draft does take some attention away from the nation’s best senior players at times such as the Combine, pro days and even draft day. But that just makes this week’s event – the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama – even more important.

We’ll be covering the Senior Bowl all week here on vikings.com and the vikings.com Blog, so stay tuned for updates.

Tags:

32 Responses to “As Draft-Eligible Underclassmen Numbers Increase, So Does Importance Of Senior Bowl”

1. By SaltyDog on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

First :(

2. By Spencer on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Wobbs- who are you keeping your eyes on this week?

3. By Parkway on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

It’s all about Lamark Brown

4. By dee jay born on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

i’ll be keeping my eyes and ears open for a WR and DT in this years draft…

5. By Parkway on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

We can easily clear about $30 mill in cap space if we want to, it will be interesting to see how aggressive spielman is this offseason.

6. By northwoodsv2 on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Recent mock shows Te’o dropping to middle of 2nd round. Git’em, Rick!!!!

7. By Parkway on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Just say no to Teo

8. By vikingmike on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Teo will drop and move back up the boards especially if the combine goes well for him.

9. By northwoodsv2 on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Why would you pass on him Parkway?

10. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

PAY PERCY

11. By Parkway on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

His performance, or lack of one, in the championship game and this whole hoax thing doesn’t make me want to take him in the first round.

12. By Ricefield on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

As far as the Manti Teo thing goes. I met my wife on a dating site and for the first six months of the relationship our only contact was through instant messages and phone calls before we could find the opportunity to actually meet.

Once we did, I lived in St. Louis, MO and she lived in Superior, WI, we made two trips a piece to visit one another in a year before I moved up here. We lived together for another year and then got married.

We’ve been happily married for 5 years now.

My point is it is possible to consider yourself to be in a relationship without ever meeting the person in person.

As far as the hoax goes, people lie. I have no idea how much “contact” the two had but I’m supposing it was minimal and if the other person in the relationship lied there’s really little he could do about it.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been suspicious, but on-line relationships are just as complicated, if not more so, than in person ones. The guy got duped. It’s a product of the internet age.

13. By Parkway on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

It’s not even that he got duped, if that’s what really happened. It’s been reported that most people knew that wasn’t really his gf but that he liked the attention so he went along with it for the publicity.

14. By Ricefield on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

I must admit I haven’t been following the story that closely. It had to start as something of a relationship. Now, if someone I knew, even on the internet, said they had cancer (that’s the story right?) then I’d probably start telling folks too.

I’m not really clear on the details of this story but I was only commenting on the side of the story that some folks are saying its impossible to fall in love with someone you’ve never met.

All the rest of it, well I just don’t know.

15. By northwoodsv2 on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Anyone can have a bad game, and when you consider what he was going through at the time……

My sister corresponded with someone she met on a chat for 2 years before meeting him in person. They’ve been married for 4 years now.

Did you hear the interview with Schaap? Te’o provided considerable information into the whole thing – he was totally embaras$ed.

What difference does the round make? He’s still the same athlete.

16. By liito on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Draft
    1. A Randy Moss – type of wideout
    2. A humongous offensive lineman
    3. A nasty defensive tackle
    4. Another Harrison Smith type of safety
    5. A clone of Antoine Winfield
    6. Middle linebacker / special teams
    7. Another speedy wide receiver

Free Agency: An experienced quarterback back-up

17. By Parkway on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Matt Moore should be our backup

18. By Parkway on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Sign Levitre and DRC

19. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

There is always an abundance of receivers. Draft DT, LB, or OG with 1st pick.

20. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Sign Danario Alexander

21. By Carl K on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Spielman has seen enough tape on Manti Teo at this point to know if he is a fit.
    Rick also has players on the Vikings that will probablly stand up for Teo.

I am not worried about it… if he falls to the Vikings, and Rick wants him… go for it!
    I am ok with it.

22. By Parkway on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Patterson, Harvin, Wright, Brown, Simpson

23. By Spencer on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Patterson…?

Whats his first name

24. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

If Te’o were around by our selection, I say go for it.

25. By Spencer on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Without a doubt.

26. By Digger on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

People need to realize and be prepared. Speilman as already said that he believes in building through the draft and it worked last year. He may sign some free agents, hopefully some of our own are back, but don’t look for any big splashy guys to get signed. It will probably be lower level type guys like they have done in the past, and as of right now don’t be looking for a new back up QB. He has already said he likes and supports Webb and doesn’t blame the playoff game on him. He is going off of body of work where Webb fillied in very well last and as a rookie. I wish they would trade him but I know that probably won’t happen.

27. By lance on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Just remember everyone who wants a wideout in 1st that we still have greg childs that should be back this year. Also some good ones on FA. I say we need LB or DT in first. Or even if possible I wouldn’t mind a good CB if one is available.

28. By PurplHaze on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

By Spencer on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply
    Patterson…?
    Whats his first name
    *******
    Cordarrelle Patterson! =)

29. By PurplHaze on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think Teo would be an upgrade over Brinkley, unless it’s with regard to leadership skills. And for that, I think Harrison Smith will work just fine!

I got more than enough looks at Teo, because I live in Indiana. If we take a LB early, he’d better come with as much football ability as Ray Lewis, able to hit like a truck as well as make everybody around him better. I don’t see that in Teo. Not aggressive enough on the field for my liking.

30. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply