Cris Carter Named Finalist For HOF Class Of 2013

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 11, 2013 – 9:56 am

The greatest wide receiver in Vikings history has been named a finalist for consideration to be placed among the greatest players in NFL history. The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced its list of 15 modern-era finalists who will be considered for election as part of the Class of 2013, and Cris Carter once again made the cut.

The 15 modern-era finalists were determined by a vote of the Hall’s Selection Committee from a list of 127 nominees that earlier was reduced to a list of 27 semifinalists, during the multi-step, year-long selection process. To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.

The Selection Committee will meet in New Orleans, La. on Saturday, February 2, 2013, to elect the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2013. The election results will be announced at 4:30 p.m. CT during a one-hour NFL Network special, live from the Super Bowl Media Center.

At the 2013 selection meeting, the selectors will thoroughly discuss the careers of each finalist. Although there is no set number for any class of enshrinees, the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s current ground rules stipulate that between four and seven new members will be selected each year. No more than five modern-era nominees can be elected in a given year and a class of six or seven can only be achieved if one or both senior nominees are elected.

Cris Carter dazzled NFL fans for 16 seasons (1987-2002) with sensational one-handed grabs, clutch first-down receptions and breath-taking touchdown catches. His ability to consistently perform at a high level allowed him to accumulate legendary statistics, and should some day place him among the NFL’s immortals.

For his career, Carter totaled 1,101 receptions for 13,899 yards and 130 TDs. His receptions and touchdown totals still rank him fourth all-time and his eight total Pro Bowl selections are tied for second-most all-time. No one had more receptions (779) or touchdowns (90) from 1993-2000 than Carter and only Tim Brown had more receiving yards than his 9,456 during the same time period.

Known for his durability, Carter played full 16-game seasons in 13 of his 16 years in the NFL, had 10 or more touchdowns in a season six times and led the NFL in receiving touchdowns three times (1995, 1997, and 1999). He recorded 70 or more catches in a season 10 times and had 100-yard receiving games 42 times during his career.

Carter spent 12 seasons (1990-2001) with the Vikings and crafted a brilliant career in Minnesota. He was a part of teams that suffered losing seasons only twice in 12 seasons, made the playoffs eight times in 10 Vikings seasons, and his teams were 76-29 (including playoffs) in games in which he caught a touchdown.

Tags: ,

28 Responses to “Cris Carter Named Finalist For HOF Class Of 2013”

1. By Mike B. on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Cris Carter definalely needs to be in the Hall of Fame. It has been unfortunate that Brown and Cris have been splitting votes and neither have gotten in. Let’s hope that’s different this time.

2. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Go CC…You got my vote !!!…

Unfortunately, my vote doesn’t matter…. ;-(

3. By Derrick Williams on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

The only question that I have is “what took so long?” I feel that Cris Carter should have been inducted in the Hall of Fame. I guess my Vikings will never get the respect we deserve until we win a few Super Bowls.

4. By Parkway on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

By OTKalil2012 on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply
    Because of a stunning and awful performance of Joe Webb in the playoff game…
    Drafting a QB has taken on a “number one” priority status along with a few other positions (LB & WR)…For Spielman to look at this spring…
    Drafting players..Are supposed to replace the weakest links on football teams…
    Not sure what everyone else so in that playoff game…But this fan saw a back up QB stink up the place at Lambeau field…
    Veteran QB’s are not cheap…QB’s are one of the highest paid positions in football…Even just solid back ups…
    Ponder needs competition..Not replacing…
    And future needs at QB should come from the draft…Not from some other teams bench…
    Joe Webb is gone…If you think the Vikings brass is going to trust another football game into Joe Webb’s hands…You are very mistaken…
    Joe Webb came in as a WR…failed…They tried him then at QB…failed…Back to WR…failed…Back to QB again…failed…
    Its time for Joe Webb to go…

_______________________________________________________________

OTK… once again… I’m going to have to remind you that Webb’s performance was better than Ponder’s…. so by your logic Ponder would be off the team as well. At least Joe showed up…..

But I do believe we will get a Vet QB. Doesn’t make sense to have 3 rookies on the roster again and I think they will want to keep MBT.

5. By Mike B. on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I think we will see the same 3 QBs as we had last year more than likely, but we will see. It should be an interesting competition for the #2 spot next year. I don’t think Frazier has given up on Webb, but Webb will have to prove he is the backup QB. As you know I feel Ponder is the starter next season.

6. By Parkway on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

We can just bring back Sage again

7. By North Star on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I hope they keep Webb. I haven’t forgottten for one minute he is just learning, somewhat like Ponder Try cross training him to play with Harvin in the backfield.

8. By DrinkHeavy on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I’m not big on Ponder (yet) but I’m with OTK on this one..don’t see the value in keeping Webb around either. I’d rather see them pick up a FA QB like Matt Moore if he comes cheap enough or draft a mid-round QB. I’d rather have someone who has taken snaps vs a rookie, so I would lean toward a FA veteran if the price was right.

At some point you have to trust the judgement of the coaches that look at what these guys did everyday at practice throughout the season. I think Frazier is a guy who goes with who gives him the best chance to win, and as inconsistent as Ponder has been, he feels Ponder is better than Webb. If Webb could have managed to somehow pull off a miracle in Lambeau last week (or at least play better), I think we’d have a lot more to talk about. But for whatever reason, he could not step up and deliver in the game of his career. And it doesn’t look like they liked him at WR either, so maybe it’s best to let him go.

9. By Parkway on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

If we had an OC with half a brain we may be able to utilize Webb. With Musgrave…. not so much

10. By Jeremy on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

“Honey Badger” to the Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PLEASE Spielman and crew….use one of our 4th round picks and reach for the game-changer!!!

11. By Parkway on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

And put him out as a safety with Smith

12. By Jeremy on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Why is everyone so high on Webb. Let us be honest with ourselves. He sucks! I would honestly rather have Tebow throwing the ball. He rarely even looked at a second progression in the last Packers game, and almost every pass was off target (most ate the dirt before they even sniffed the intended receiver) Why didnt we give MBT an honest try??? After all, he is at least a PASS first quarterback. Webb looked so scared out there he was quite sad to watch.

13. By ozzinator on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

FIRST!!!!!!

14. By Jeremy on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

@Parkway- that would be NASTY bro!!!! I could see it now….we would have one of the fastest, if not the fastest, secondaries in the league.

Would also like to see us take Alec Ogletree ILB from Georgia with our first pick and then try and trade up for DeAndre Hopkins WR out of Clemson.

15. By Parkway on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Yeah I was thinking Ogletree too, but most are projecting him atop 15 pick now so I don’t think it would be worth trading for him.

16. By QB on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Carter had the best hand eye coordination of any receiver ever. Vote him in!!

17. By QB on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been thinking about Ponders elbow. I remember a clip I saw just after the Vikings drafted him. NFL was talking to his head coach at Florida State about his toughness and his on going fluid on that elbow.

He said he would have the fluid drained prior to the game, played and had to have the wrapping around that elbow cut off after the game cuz the elbow had filled with fluid to where the wrapping wouldn’t come off easily.

He indicated he was very tough and always tried to play through it.

I don’t doubt that he made the call not to play, but I also no that Frazier puts alot of pressure on his players if he thinks they can’t defend themselves. I wonder if that pressure from Frazier affected Ponders decision, and if he had a different coach if he would have at least started and tried to go.

18. By North Star on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Parkway……….I like the idea of Joe Webb in as a Safety!

H. Smith is 6’2 214 lbs.
    J. Webb is 6’4 220 lbs

A. Sendjo (other Safety is 6’1 225 lbs. All pretty even.

I believe Joe would be a good match up with Smith. Frazier???

19. By North Star on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

One other fact to think about. H. Smith has proven he is very fast on his feet.
    proving that time and time again on his closing speed!

Joe is very fast as well. Think on it Frazier. Jermey is correct. What a pair

20. By Parkway on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I guess the Carlson contract isn’t even that bad. He only has 1.2 mill guaranteed next year then we could cut him without any loss. So we’ll probably keep him around next year since we have already paid him 8 million and see what he can do if he can stay healthy.

21. By Troutdaddy on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Good gravy- give the Webb thing a rest Parkway. This is like a broken record… Back to the real topic- Cris Carter. The man is a legend and one of the greatest receivers of all time. The fact that he was snuffed so many other times is a slap in the face of Viking fans everywhere. He deserves to be in the HOF and there is no question about that fact. The man made a behind-the-back one handed grab while looking in the opposite direction. Only one to do so. I think I remember Madden saying that he couldn’t think of an explative to describe it. Now that is talent- to make Madden speechless… We could sure use a player like Cris now and I hope he gets this deserved honor.

22. By Parkway on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I’m not the one bringing him up

23. By Erik the Red on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Well, Webb did worse than Ponder did, end of story. I don’t see any wins with Webb under center, and seeing as Ponder didn’t get a chance to play last week, we will never know, but seeing as he had progressed in the last 3 games, I would think we would have done better. Anyway, back to the topic presented above, Cris Carter should get in this year, at least I really hope he does

24. By Tomcat on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

If Chris Carter doesn`t belong, then neither do Irvin, Largent, Lofton, or many others.

25. By PurplHaze on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

By Troutdaddy on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply
    *******
    Well Put!
    If it weren’t for CC, you could write off Randy Moss! Randy owes CC his career, even though Randy would NEVER admit that.

CC to the HOF!!!

26. By coach mark on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Cris Carter is one of my all time favorite viking, for a buck what steal, and after a rocky start in the nfl, got his self respect back, along with everyone else, and now is a fine upstanding individual he deserves it

27. By caliviking on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

joe webbs whole mentality is run first pass second…he needs to flip those around if he wants to be a good qb

28. By caliviking on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

we aint draftin no qb either…we need either a wide reciever or defensive tackle in the first