Highlights From Move-Out Day At Winter Park

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 8, 2013 – 8:50 am

Move-out day in the Vikings locker room at Winter Park is a bitter-sweet experience. It typically follows a disappointing conclusion to the season because only one team each year in the NFL finishes the season having accomplished their ultimate goal. Unfortunately, this year the Vikings will not be that team.

But move-out day also represents a time for players to get away, spend time with family and loved ones, and recharge their batteries for the offseason program and for the upcoming season.

On their way out the door, several Vikings players took a few moments to chat with reporters about what transpired this season and what the future might hold for this team in 2013 and beyond. Here are a few highlights from a few of the guys…

Jared Allen
On what Adrian Peterson meant to the Vikings: “What Adrian did this year, I mean it’s inspiring. Not even just on a football level, just on a level of commitment. I think he’s a true example of never letting someone put limitations on you. So many people said he couldn’t do it, and he proved them wrong. It’s just like that in life. You can’t let people put limitations on what you want to do and what you want to achieve. And for him to be a walking testament to that is awesome. For that, it was an inspiring season from him.”

A Rookie Kicker?: “Blair had an unbelievable season. I’ll be the first one to say, you get a rookie kicker and you’re like ‘Ah crap, here we go. We let one of the best in the League go in Longwell, and how’s this guy gonna fit? Is he going to choke the very first opportunity he has to make a pressure kick?’ You know what, he was incredible.”

Adrian Peterson
No wow factor: “No, I didn’t at all. I didn’t wow myself. This is what I expected. I know that sounds nonchalant, like ‘Oh, I’m sure you did.’ But I did. That’s why I’m able to take things as it is. But I feel like there’s room for me to get better, and I look forward to doing that.”

Standout moment of 2012: “Just getting back to practicing with the guys. That was the best feeling. To be kind of bummed out once I actually got back to training camp and found out they put me on the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) list, I was kind of bummed out. But once I got back on the field with the guys and was able to participate, that felt good. There was nothing like it. And just coming back in September for that first game in the dome against the Jaguars, that was a defining moment for me. That felt good.”

Who should be named NFL Coach of the Year?: “Leslie Frazier, without a doubt. He’s a great guy, he’s helped me on and off the field. He’s demeanor, spiritual faith, just the man that he is. He radiates positive energy…you can’t help but feed off of him. He has really been a big part of my development, not only as a football player but as a human being. He’s very inspirational.”

Christian Ponder
What did you learn in 2012?: “That I can do the things to help this team be in a position to be successful. And not just me, but this whole team can handle the pressure of what it takes to get to a playoff berth. We knew that if we lost (vs. Green Bay in Week 17) we wouldn’t make it. So just to handle that pressure as a whole team, especially with how young we are, I think that showed a lot. I need to play at that level consistently for sixteen games. I’ll learn from that, and use what I did in those games to work on next year.”

Anticipating improvement: “We were able to get into the playoffs, but next year I expect to, I made a pretty good leap from first year to second year, I expect an even greater leap from the second year to the third year.”

John Sullivan
Success begins at the top: “Our GM (Rick Spielman) has done a great job. Rick’s done a great job with his vision. Building a young roster, guys who are hungry and want to work hard. And having good veteran leadership. I think we’re definitely a team on the upswing. Obviously we’re still disappointed, the loss (to Green Bay) is pretty fresh. We didn’t accomplish our ultimate goals, but we made huge strides, and as long as we go about our business the right way this offseason, rest up right now while it’s time to do that, get healthy and come back ready to work once the offseason program starts, we’re definitely a team on the upswing.”

Harrison Smith
What did you like about being in the NFL?: “I just like the chemistry of the team. Every guy on the team is a guy that you want to play with, and guys that you have fun playing with and can count on. It seems like with the guys we have here, the leadership we have with the coaches, the front office, things are going in the right direction.”

Tags: , , , ,

55 Responses to “Highlights From Move-Out Day At Winter Park”

1. By Mike B. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

First 2012 is over time to get ready for 2013. I think the Vikings will be the team to beat in the NFC North. They have a great core of players. A few more addition this team could go to the big game. Go Vkings

2. By Mike B. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I feel that Ponder has more than he shown us this year. Some of the p@sses he completed during the last 4 games shows he has the arm strength to thow deep. I don’t think our game plan had many options for deep throws and without Simpson and Harvin we couldn’t get a WR to get deep for those types of p@sses. Ponder is the Starting QB for 2013 IMO, but I will not rule out a competition for the position. I think with a Frazier team you aren’t going to see many of those type of plays anyway. He likes high percentage p@sses that compliment our running game. I was suprised we were able to hang tough with Green Bay in the last game of the season and we scored over 30 points. I saw our game plan was to strike early and keep the lead. Keep the score low and the game managed. I think we need to work on our OL some more and look at ways to improve our WR core. Looking from offensive side only. TE side I am confused about the salary John Carlson got. Is he a blocking TE or a receiveing TE from his salary you would assume a receiving TE, but he didn’t catch many nor did we go to him that much. I question the investment there.

3. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

No doubt about spielman, he’s the reason we went 10-6. Good job Rick

4. By Mike B. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Defensively we are a much more solid unit. The DL and it’s rotation has been working for us. It will be great to have a healthy Allen next season. I think with BRob and Jerad fully healthy they are hard to stop. Kevin Williams is getting older, but is still producing on the line. It may be time to look for a Rookie that will fill his shoes in a couple years. I think we need to get that Solid NT though. LB core I think we could add some more depth there. It is possible that Jasper and Erin may fall to the depth with new starters stepping up. Some have mentioned Audie Cole we will see. Definately need more depth there. Secondary. I think you have the a good young crew here with Winfield as the Vet of the group. I think long run you look for a replacement for Winfield. One more quality guy for the secondary could be enough. Special Teams. I like Scherels, but I think we can get a more explosive PR/KR. He didn’t look good when he came in relief on Defense. We have a great new Kicker and our Punter is Solid. We are on the road to be the #1 Defense again.

5. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Ponder: ” I expect to make a greater leap from first year to second year”.

Pardon me, chum but didn’t you already have your “first year”?.

Just be sure your “leap” isn’t over a chiff, taking the Vikings with you.

6. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

bluebird, do you enjoy complaining?

7. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I like Allen’s honesty– he was sitting on draft day thinking– what the.. they drafted a kicker?

8. By Dave on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I think we had a great season. Like everybody else I wished it could have ended a little different, but the Viks made great strides from last years team. going from 3-13 to 10-6 is a great complement to the hard work everybody put in on the off season to get better. And AP what can you say but WOW!!! like Jared Allen said how can you not get inspired from Him.

9. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

AP is a testament to the power of faith.

10. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Bears interviewing singletary for head coach.

11. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Titus

I guess I could ask you the same thing, O GREAT GURU.

12. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Parkway

Singletary already tried it in SF. Maybe he would work out in Chicago.

13. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Parkway

Maybe he would like to try out in Minnesota?

14. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

That should start things rolling!

15. By Vikes4life on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Singletary in Chicago would be great from an entertainment standpoint. Although, I’m not sure I want an NFC north coach to know the inside scoop on our beloved Vikings.

16. By The 1 And Only PurplHaze! on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply
    Bears interviewing singletary for head coach.

*******

Seriously? I guess they didn’t follow his “achievements” in 2010.

17. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

John Carlson: 8 catches 43 yards for $4.25 mill this year.

18. By Vikes4life on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

BlueBird…..stop being a douche.

19. By The 1 And Only PurplHaze! on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

But Mike … Vernon Davis is a BEAST!

20. By The 1 And Only PurplHaze! on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply
    John Carlson: 8 catches 43 yards for $4.25 mill this year.

*******

If the plan was for Carlson to be some kind of competition for Rudolph, it was an epic failure. Worst investment by the Vikes in the off-season, in my opinion.

21. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

He was supposed to be a big pass catching TE to set up an epic 2 TE offense like the Patriots but he was injured half the year and didn’t show up the other half so yeah not a great investment. Hopefully we have a new OC next year and Carlson shows up to play.

22. By The 1 And Only PurplHaze! on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Agreed, Parkway! 100% agree!

No way he should go a second year with no production at his salary. He needs a little “All Day” motivation! Spend some time this off-season with a TRUE WORKOUT WARRIOR! =)

23. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Peterson has also stated that he is going to go “Allout” in the Pro-Bowl game.

I normally wouldn’t even turn my TV on for that game, but this might be worth it.

In fact I will just trade the Super Commerical Bowl for this one. Go Adrian!

24. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Bills FA OG Levitre says he will definitely test the FA market. It will be interesting to see if we at least make him an offer with our obvious need for better guards.

He’s by far the best FA OG available an he’s still young. He’d have some incentive to come here to get to block for the best RB in the league, but I don’t know if we would be able to pay him what he will be worth along with signing either Harvin or a FA WR this offseason.

25. By The 1 And Only PurplHaze! on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, Levitre would be a good guy to pick up, but his price tag will probably be too high.

So the Coaches must not be too high on Schwarz either. He wasn’t on the field much this year.

26. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I’d like to see them move Love to OG, he looked good when he was actually on the field but he’s probably a bit undersized for a tackle.

27. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

vikes4LIFE

Think you better change that to “VikesFor the Life of my PetC-o-c-k-roash”

Don’t start throwing rocks at me, Butterball, Keep your remarks to yourself.

28. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

VikesCentric: Vikings looking for a rare victory outdoors

29. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I see where football analysts are predicting the Vikings to pick up a “veteran” QB to back up Ponder next season ???…I don’t agree…
    Unless they release Bethel-Thompson ???…And i don’t see that happening…Or think they would have done that already…

Competition for Ponder and Bethel-Thompson…I see coming through the draft…And because of Webb playing so poorly in our playoff opportunity…I see that position at QB taking on more importance in this springs draft…Maybe to the tune of an early round pick ??…

The way this springs draft shapes up…Not to mention possible trade scenarios…Should make for an interesting off season !!!…

30. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

How about EJ Manuel in the 3rd. I’m sure Ponder knows him pretty well from FSU

31. By Mike B. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

@OTK I am not so sure about that. I think they could take a Vet QB, but it wouldn’t be a person that expects to start. I don’t see much trade value with Webb at all. If he is kept he will be #2 or #3. I agree the #2 QB position will be a competition, but between Webb and MBT. I think Ponder keeps the #1 position.

32. By Mike B. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

If they draft a QB it will be in the later rounds as a developmental QB.

33. By Mike B. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I thnk the early rounds of the draft will be looking for WR, OG, OT, and CB. IMO

34. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Jordan Rodgers for S&G

35. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Bob Sansevere: Vikings’ Joe Webb was in over his head
    Pioneer Press
    twincities.com
    Posted: 01/06/2013 12:01:00 AM CST
    January 7, 2013 12:29 AM GMTUpdated: 01/06/2013 06:29:17 PM CST

( what do you think about this?)

36. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

By Mike B. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

If they draft a QB it will be in the later rounds as a developmental QB.

————————————————-

See, that’s what I don’t get ???…Fans should realize no matter where a QB is drafted…They are “all” developmental QB’s…Ponder was a high draft pick…And was started early in his career…But he is still developing…

I think Ponder is going to be a very solid QB this coming season…If he gets the WR help I think the Vikings will go after in the draft…

If Ponder gets Fitz and another WR in the draft, to go along with Wright and Rudolf ???…I am going to draft Ponder to be my QB in fantasy football next season…That’s how much I think Ponder he Vikings passing game will improve this next season…

And I still will try for AP also…Because he will get a ton of yards also…Because this west coast offense is going to FLY next season !!!…Balance on offfense will there this season…Big time !!!….

37. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Bob Sansevere: Vikings brass must take blame for lack of a backup plan

38. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

That article is kind of an ignorant one just as many of the fans have been so far. Ponder would have had the same performance, if not worse. He already proved how bad he was in GB once this year (worse than Webb).

But I do agree that our backup QB needs to be a Vet. The backup needs to be a guy who has had a bunch of experience in the league, has started a bunch of games, and can come in and make very few mistakes and mentor our 1st and 3rd string QBs.

The game was incredibly sloppy by everyone, Kwilliams gifted GB 7 points. Sherels fumbled, 12 men on the field gave them 4 additional points. It wasn’t all Webb.

39. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Parkway, it never is when it is a team game, just as it is not all Ponder’s. The team needs to fill some holes and let go the dead weight for next year and they may be contenders.

40. By Tomcat on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I think we should make a major acquisition(s) in free agency, preferably a wr, which is a position harder than some to fill in the draft. Look how Jackson turned out for the Bucs. That way we could concentrate on our remaining needs in the draft. However we do it we need a cornfed dt, a speedy wr, a cover corner,and an og. Besides that, we need a lb who can cover and depth all over.

41. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Joe Webb

Webb failed to complete his first nine attempts at least 15 yards downfield, with eight of nine incompletions due to off-target throws. His first completion of that distance came with 3:39 left in the game when the Packers were winning by 21 points. Webb’s 28.0 completion percentage was the worst on such throws since he entered the league in 2010 (minimum 15 attempts).

The Packers defense was able to put Webb under duress on 12 of his 38 (32 percent) dropbacks. Webb was 0-of-7 with an interception and was sacked three times when under pressure. His seven pass attempts under duress without a completion are tied for the most in a game this season (Mark Sanchez – Week 8 vs. Dolphins, Tom Brady – Week 16 vs. Jaguars).

42. By meswant on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Ponder needs to be consistant – he was great the first 4 games then was up & down. Need wr’s that are a threat & can catch the ball – would be great to keep Harvin as he is very talented but what ever happens will happen on that front. All in all I was happy with how the season unfolded – won more than I thought we would. Just hope that the team will follow in AP’s footsteps & start working together before the camps open to get better chemistry. True not sure who will all be back will later but still it would be good to work on things early.
    GO VIKINGS!!!!

43. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I am very proud of the Vikings, even with the loss to GB. They went from 3-13 to 10-6 and getting to the playoffs. Though I did not agree with the release of Sage Rosenfels, who I think could have managed the game far better than Joe Webb. In my opinion Joe is better suited as an runner type player.

44. By Parkway on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Wilfs definitely need to do some spending in FA if they want to contend

45. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Joe would be a great back up to AP. SKOL Vikings

46. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Pay AP. SKOL Vikings

47. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Joe would get more playing time as AP’s back up. SKOL Vikings

48. By Tomcat on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

DRS.- I would bet money that had Sage been our backup we would have won the other night.

49. By wacky on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

it was all ap, if he was not there this team would be 0-16.

50. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

51. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

new blog

52. By DRS. on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Next year the real Vikings will be reborn, they have the talent, fill the holes and we win. SKOL Vikings

53. By Ryan on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Hey Bluebird. Read the Ponder statement AGAIN IDIOT! “I made a pretty good leap from first year to second year, I expect an even greater leap from the second year to the third year.” Hmmmm….sounds to me like he said nothing close to what you said he did. Maybe double check things before spouting off like a nimwit!

54. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Ryan (changed from VikesforRats)

Were you there at the presser, NumbNuts?

He will make a great leap allright, off the chiff taking the Vikings with him.

55. By shawn on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I love percy. The thing is that he just does not finish without missing multiple games with injuries or migraines or etc. If we are truely trying to get better then maybe look at bringing in Alex smith for QB. Trade Percy for Alex. I AM NOT SAYING Alex is perfect. But i like having Ponder and Alex with no Percy better th en our current QB lineup and Percy giving us 10 games a season. Just an Idea.