Adrian Peterson Named FedEx Ground Player Of The Year Finalist

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 7, 2013 – 4:19 pm

The NFL announced on Monday that Adrian Peterson is a finalist for FedEx Ground Player of the Year honors. Peterson rushed his way into the history books, finishing the season with 2,097 yards rushing, 2nd -most in league history and just nine yards shy of breaking Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson’s NFL record (2,105).

Peterson, who was second in the NFL in carries (348), tied Earl Campbell for the most games with at least 150 rushing yards in a single season (s7) and he scored 12 rushing TDs as well. From Week 7 through Week 15, Peterson accumulated 1,313 yards in 8 games, the most over any 8-game span in a single season in NFL history.

Selected as the NFC’s starting running back for the 2013 Pro Bowl, Peterson was nominated for FedEx Ground Player of the Week 7times, winning 3times. Peterson was named FedEx Ground Player of the Year in 2008.

Joining Peterson as finalists for the award are: Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch and Washington’s Alfred Morris.

Also, the NFL announced that New England’s Tom Brady, Denver’s Peyton Manning and Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers have been named FedEx Air NFL Players of the Week.

Fans can vote for one player in each category on NFL.com/FedEx until Friday, January 25 at 8 p.m. CT to determine the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Year.

During the week leading up to Super Bowl XLVII, FedEx plans to announce the 2012 FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Year in New Orleans, as well as make a $25,000 donation in each winning player’s name to Junior Achievement offices in the their city. The funding is used to help U.S. small business development, by educating the next generation of entrepreneurs on how to start and grow their own businesses.

This season, fans voted for more than their favorite player. As part of the Air & Ground program and its commitment to small business owners, FedEx supported education efforts at Junior Achievement by making weekly $2,000 donations in each of the winning players’ names.

Tags:

48 Responses to “Adrian Peterson Named FedEx Ground Player Of The Year Finalist”

1. By Mike B. on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

First. Adrian Peterson deserves every award he’s up for. A great player Hall of Fame Bound.

2. By Derrick.G on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Just sign the check to Adrian Peterson. The man deserves it.

3. By Tomcat on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

M.V.P.!!!

4. By john 61 on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

way to go ap,great year

5. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Frazier: Harvin will return to Vikings
    Percy Harvin, WR, MIN
    2:58 PM

News: The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said receiver Percy Harvin is expected to return to the team next season despite perceived personal problems with the franchise. Frazier said: “I don’t see any reason why Percy wouldn’t be back with us. He should be.” Harvin finished the 2012 season on injured reserve after he sprained his ankle in Week 9.
    Analysis: We expect Harvin to be back with the Vikings in 2013, and he should continue to play at a high level. He is worth drafting as early as Round 4 as a high-end No. 2 Fantasy receiver in all leagues assuming his ankle is 100 percent and he’s not a hold out.

6. By john 61 on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

lets give peterson a award for this site ,heck with everyone else

7. By Parkway on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Yeah what is Frazier going to say about Harvin? He didn’t say Harvin WILL be back, he said he “expects” him to be back. It doesn’t mean anything.

8. By NO WORRIES ! on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

thanks for the great season Adrian !!! next year you will get your 2400 yards !!

9. By H.M.G. on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

AD deserves every award that is available for an offensive player.

10. By Parkway on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

ND getting dominated

11. By H.M.G. on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Shannahan seriously threatened RG3 career.
    He needs to be punished by the NFL for the lies he was spreading about RG3′s health. He made up a story about Dr. James Andrews. Which Dr. Andrew has already disputed as total BULLSH!T!

12. By Parkway on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Teo is a scrub

13. By Northern Norseman on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Yeah this championship game is a demolition. The SEC is just simply on another level than the rest of the nation

14. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Spielman will still pick at the minimum 2 players from ND.

15. By dan smith on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Let’s all vote AP in, he is the real beast. We owe it AD, make sure, just like in Chicago, vote early and often.

16. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Shanahan pushed too hard to get a playoff win– greedy. See, people what happens when you think only of the here and now– Frazier is smart.

17. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Shanhanan may have lost his job over this.

18. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Oh, by the way, Parkway, you keep avoiding my question. It is a simple one. Do you believe the Apollo missions to the moon were real or staged?

19. By dan smith on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

I hope he picks someone from bama, and thats coming from an ND fan. Man bama outclassed ND with talent. Teo looked like he was hungover or sick????

20. By dan smith on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

this game cost teo some real money

21. By Northern Norseman on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

I would still be pleased to have Teo dawning a purple and gold jersey. Even though he still wont fall to the 20′s…… not even close id say. If I had to pick it would be form 5-15…. within those 10.

22. By vikesny on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

If you call running a read option in your first drive, scoring and never using it again, or throwing the ball incomplete twice w three minutes left and letting GB get the ball w 2 min and 3 timeouts, or having a backup with such a contrasting skill set that your offense is rendered useless, or not even trying out prospective receivers after placing Harvin on IR, then Frazier is smart. I don’t think that if you get a few questions right on a test but fail it miserably, you’re smart.

23. By vikesny on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Teo drops big time, he couldn’t tackle or read a great college team, what would he do in the pros. He was a big fish in a little pond.Im sad for him because he is a figjter but he showed me nothing today.

24. By Vikes4life06 on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

anyone in for a laugh?

25. By LarsonFamily on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

LOL!! I told you Joe Webb is the worst quarterback in the history of NFL. He will be gone by the end of the season just like I said earlier. I told you Vikings will get 10-6 record. I told you Ponder is a great QB. I told you Matt Kalil will not be a Pro Bowl this year. I told you, I told you and not once you agreed with me. You guys KNOW nothing about football. I got a 100 percent on the test and you all FAILED. Now I just read the other posts and you said Ponder quit on us? Are you a 1st grader or what? Did you see the picture of Ponder’s right arm? These bruises looks like a frost bite where it needs to be chopped off. It is a very serious injury he has and the doctors has disclosed the coaches that he can’t play the game. Ponder got hurt against Packers the week before and he has proved that the injury on his arm is legit.

26. By LarsonFamily on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Our coach has made one of the greatest decision they’ve made in NFL history to bench Ponder. Look what happened to Redskins’s QB, Robert Griffin 3? He got LCL, MCL and will have a serious surgery in the offseason. He might end up like Michael Vick.

27. By LarsonFamily on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Mike, the coach for the Redskins could get fired for not taking advices from the doctor. Now you are crying to fire our coach, Frazier, for putting Ponder onto injured reserved? You guys, please pay attention to football and quit disagreeing with me… jeez its like you guys are such a little kids thinking WCW is real when they’re all fake LOL

28. By LarsonFamily on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Look at his arm to verified it. It is legit and Ponder never quit on us.

29. By LarsonFamily on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

30. By LarsonFamily on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Is it enough to verify that his injury is legit? You guys just couldn’t swallow the fact that Webb su….cks and then you blame on Ponder for quitting on us. Get some help you guys!

31. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

LarsonFamily You up all night again? Read your posts above, Have you :

Norified Titus of the errors of his ways? Next, tell him how to ride his bike…;)

32. By LarsonFamily on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Titus? I haven’t read any of his posts why what has he done?

33. By Ricefield on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

So let me get this straight….

Ponder isn’t an NFL quarterback and stinks so bad that…..he should have played through an injury and Webb is so good that we would have been better off if….Ponder had just played.

Am I getting this argument right?

Oh wait…

Then there’s the coaches, the coaches are so terrible that they….took a 3-13 team and turned it into a 10-6 team in the process taking a quarterback off his worst game of the season and having that quarterback go 4 and 0 to finish the season and getting into the playoffs and in the process enabling the best running back of this generation to nearly break the all time rushing record.

Oh and then there’s the fire this guy and that guy….

Percy Harvin who still leads the team in receptions should be let go and in exchange we’ll get some high draft picks. But…But…this same Harvin has had a problem staying healthy. Oh wait, never mind, no that’s not it. We’re supposed to trade Harvin to Arizona straight up for Fitzgerald.

No wait, that isn’t it either, we’re supposed to trade Harvin to Jacksonville who also somehow got Tebow to boost their ticket sales and they’ll be the ones to give us the high draft picks.

Man, my head hurts.

LOL

34. By TheRealDon on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Everybody stop the coaches didnt take this team no where..This season was on AP hands down

35. By Ricefield on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

By that logic, we should have been 9 and 7 last year (would have been 10 and 6 but AP got injured in week 16). Now listen, I’m not taking anything away from AP, he was better this season than he’s ever been and that’s really saying something coming off an injury like he did and I agree that he did put the team on his back and carry them all season long but even he admits that it was his example that inspired the rest of the team to also play better.

He also gives credit to the coaches for channeling that inspiration.

Basically what I’m saying is we the team had a hecuva year, led by AP of course, and everyone in the organization had something to do with it.

There is chemistry here and it shouldn’t be disrupted. Who knows how good we’ll be next year?

Hope springs eternal.

36. By Ricefield on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Addendum….

If we do add to the team some big name like Fitzgerald, I’d be thrilled to no end. If a coach is let go, it won’t be the end of my world. All I’m saying is things were good this year and I hope we see as much improvement next year as we did this year.

All this stuff about the team should have been better is a bunch of bologna. Team surprised everybody, including themselves, with the year they had and they seem eager to do it again.

And that my friends, is AWESOME!

37. By dee jay born on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

@Ricefield..i would love to see Fitzgerald here too,but that’s highly unlikely. i think he’s still tied into that big contract he signed with Arizona…

38. By dee jay born on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

AD AKA M.V.P.

39. By 61Vikings on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I keep hearing that Ponder quit on us before the biggest game of the year and the biggest game of his career!!! Just stop, absolute nonsense!!! When Leslie Frazier was interviewed before the game about Ponder, he said that he struggled all week in practice with the injury, so when game time arrived and he still had problems throwing, the coach pulled the plug not Ponder!!! Look at what the ‘Skins did with RGIII!!! He was injured but yet they took a chance and let him play!!! Big mistake, he could have been seriously injured!!!!

40. By 61Vikings on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

What I don’t understand about this coaching staff is, what in the world do they see in Joe Webb that leads them to believe that he’s an NFL quarterback!!! Move on from this, turn this kid into a wideout, simply because he’s to talented to let go, but no more quarterbacking for him!! Make Thompson the second stronger and bring in a veteran QB or draft another young kid in the draft!! There could be another Russell Wilson out there, do your homework Viking staff!!!

41. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

61Vikings…

There is another Russel Wilson (look alike) in this draft class…And I think the Vikings will choose him in this springs draft…If they get the opportunity…

But after seeing how I seem to be hurting peoples heads…Mentioning different trade scenarios that might happen with Harvin and other players ???…(and Harvin will be traded because of his attitude)…It might be best not to cloud fans minds with the QB, I believe the Vikings will pick in this springs draft…

And no matter how much some want Webb to stick around…He will be released…Not traded…There isn’t a team out there that would trade a day old loaf of bread, for Webb…Unless you are Shanahan…Wanting to keep another QB in the corral to personally destroy !!!….I mentioned many times on here…Shanahan would ruin young RG3 career…

Go Spielman…

42. By BlueBird7 on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

OTK

Oh, Great Guru, don’t know if you or Titus gives us the greater insight.

As much as you want both Harvin and Webb gone, it won’t happen!

Stick with your “boy” Ponder, and watch him lead the Vikings over a chiff.

43. By MuskyFever on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

WHAT DO YOU MEAN FINALIST???? He should win be defualt, neither of the other two were even anywhere near his numbers on the ground this year. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I don’t think this, or the MVP debate is even a debate. He should get both without question

44. By MuskyFever on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I am convinced that LarsonFamily is 10 years old. Well, im rubber your glue… Douche

45. By MuskyFever on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Oh and LarsonFamily… I still think Ponder stinks.

UH HO, I disagreed with you, I guess its time for my time out now

46. By MuskyFever on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

@OTK

You and I have talked about this quite abit. (Harvin). After doing some further reaserch, I really don’t believe that Harvin will be traded this year. I know that I said I thought he would be. But every organization has a talanted player who is also a head ache. I don’t see any of the guys trading him at this point. ESPECIALLY if we can’t at elast get a player and a minimum 2nd round draft choise with him. I think they deal would have to be pretty high for us to give him up this year. However, I do actually think that Greg Jennings coming here would be a good move. He is still decently young at 29 turns 30 next Sept. I think Jennings would also like to come here, just to get back at the green and gold for not offering him an extension.

But I am on the fence about Harvin, right now, I think he will be here next season.

47. By VikingThunder on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

AP should win the offensive award not Manning !! As for Harvin he will be traded and i’m thinking that we should get a 1st and 2nd for him ….

48. By steve on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply