The anticipation and build-up is nearly over. Game time is approaching. The 3rd matchup in 5 weeks between the Vikings and Packers is upon us, and this one means everything. It’s just the 2nd postseason game ever between these two clubs. It’s win or go home.
I’ll be joining the Vikings Radio Network pre-game show about 40 minutes before kickoff to help the guys preview this game. Prior to me joining the show, all the main subplots will surely be addressed. Do the Vikings have an answer for Aaron Rodgers? Do the Packers have an answer for Adrian Peterson? How will Joe Webb play as the team’s starter? So my focus will be on some of the other subplots in this game – subplots that may not be talked about as much, but will still have an impact on this game.
Here’s a sneak peak of what we’ll talk about when I join host Mike Mussman on the Vikings Radio Network…
– We saw the Vikings defensive coaching staff draw up creative game plans to defeat St. Louis and Houston. They used zone blitzes, linebacker pressures and defensive back blitzes to generate pressure on opposing passers. What can Leslie Frazier’s staff do tonight to Green Bay that represents a new wrinkle?
– A big part of the Vikings defensive effort will be Antoine Winfield’s inclusion. He will be key to defending the pass, but I think he’s a huge part of defending the run, too. The Vikings don’t want to let Green Bay run the ball. Rodgers is good enough the way it is, if Green Bay can keep the Vikings off-balance, look out.
– Matt Kalil vs. Clay Matthews. This was a good matchup last week. Whenever these two are lined up across from one another, it’s a fun one to watch. I thought Matthews had the edge early in last week’s game, but then Kalil settled down and the Vikings were able to operate without Matthews blowing things up.
– Ball control and field position important for the Vikings. The Vikings did win a shootout over this explosive Packers team last week, but I don’t expect the Vikings to initiate a shootout tonight. I think the Vikings would benefit from a lower-possession game, a game that is a battle over field position and a game in which points are at a premium.
– The Vikings kickoff and punt coverage groups leaked yardage last week. That can’t happen tonight. The Packers are good enough offensively. To give Rodgers and Co. a short field tonight will make for a long night.
– The two X-factors tonight are Everson Griffen for the Vikings and Charles Woodson for the Packers. Griffen had 3.0 sacks in last week’s win over Green Bay and he has a career-high 8.0 sacks this season. Green Bay must find a way to block him. Woodson returns to action from a broken collarbone tonight. He’s missed 9 games because of the injury, but now he’s ready to go. The guy is a future Hall of Famer, so the Vikings must be aware of him.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Antoine Winfield, Everson Griffen, Leslie Frazier, Matt Kalil
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 737 Comments »
Major news here at Lambeau Field as Vikings QB Christian Ponder, who has started all 16 games so far this season, is inactive tonight due to an elbow injury sustained last Sunday in the win over the Packers. Joe Webb will make his first start since week 17 of 2011, while McLeod Bethel-Thompson will back him up.
Here is the full list of inactive players for the Vikings and the Packers.
QB Christian Ponder
WR Stephen Burton
CB Brandon Burton
LB Tyrone McKenzie
OL Troy Kropog
DE D’Aundre Reed
DE George Johnson
WR Jarrett Boykin
CB Davon House
RB James Starks
LB Frank Zombo
WR Donald Driver
DT Jordan Miller
DE Jerel Worthy
Posted in All | 178 Comments »