6 Vikings-Packers Storylines To Watch

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 2, 2013 – 7:15 am

Another great chapter in the Vikings-Packers border battle will unfold this weekend at Lambeau Field, as the two franchises meet in the Wild Card round of the 2012 NFL playoffs. This is a matchup that sells itself, but while we count down the hours until these teams square-off once again, let’s go over 6 of the Vikings-Packers storylines we’ll be watching this week…

1. Border Battle Moves To The Postseason
The third meeting in five weeks between border rivals Minnesota and Green Bay will take place in the postseason. Remarkably, this is only the second time these two clubs have met in the postseason, with the Vikings winning the first matchup 31-17 as underdogs at Lambeau Field. Saturday night’s game marks the third time in five weeks the Vikings and Packers will square off, and it also marks the 27th playoff season and 46th playoff game in Vikings history.

2. Does Green Bay Have An Answer For Adrian Peterson?
Adrian Peterson had a historic season in 2012, and his performances against the Packers were a significant reason why. Peterson rushed for 409 yards and 2 TDs in 2 games against Green Bay, averaging 7.4 yards per carry on 55 attempts and putting up huge totals of 210 yards at Lambeau Field in Week 13 and 199 yards on a career-high 34 carries in Week 17. Green Bay has proven they can yield a huge number of rushing yards to Peterson and still win – they defeated the Vikings in Week 13 – but you can be sure Green Bay would rather not sweat it out like that. Can the Packers come up with an answer for Peterson? It’s a fun subplot to watch.

3. Can Vikings Contain Aaron Rodgers, Packers Passing Game?
In similar fashion to how Peterson gives the Packers trouble, Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers has dominated the Vikings. In 2012, Rodgers completed 73.3% of his passes against the Vikings for an average of 325.5 yards per game and a TD-INT ratio of 5-1. The Vikings defense did a great job against Rodgers and Co. in the 1st quarter of last week’s game, forcing them to punt three times in three possessions. But after that, Rodgers caught fire and led the Packers to 4 TDs and 2 FGs in the Packers final 8 series. It’s hard to expect the Vikings defense to play for the whole game this Saturday the way they played in the 1st quarter on Sunday, but there has to be some kind of balance the Vikings can strike between the two for the duration of Saturday night’s game that can hold the Packers offense at bay.

4. Winfield’s Status Remains Uncertain
A big part of the Vikings effort to slow down the Packers passing game is the presence of CB Antoine Winfield. Unfortunately, whether or not Winfield will be able to play this weekend is a big question mark. Winfield injured his hand in the Vikings Week 16 win at Houston. He was able to start last week’s game against Green Bay, but was unable to finish the game because of the hand injury. Winfield was held out of practice on Tuesday, and Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said his top CB’s status would be a day-to-day situation all week.

5. Plenty Of Names To Watch On This Week’s Injury Report
Outside of Winfield, there are plenty of names to watch on this week’s injury report – for both teams. The Vikings will monitor shoulder injuries for a pair of starters – DE Brian Robison and S Harrison Smith. Special teams standout Tyrone McKenzie also has a shoulder injury. Peterson has been dealing with an abdomen injury, both WR Jerome Simpson and C John Sullivan were shaken up for a moment during last week’s game, and RT Phil Loadholt has been listed with a knee injury in recent weeks.

For the Packers, there’s plenty of good news on the injury front. WR Randall Cobb is expected to return, which could give Rodgers his full complement of receivers because Greg Jennings is healthy and Jordy Nelson is expected to play. Future Hall of Fame DB Charles Woodson has been cleared for a return to practice from a broken collarbone, LB Clay Matthews left but returned to the last week’s game and will play on Saturday and run-stopper CJ Wilson appears to have come out of last week’s game okay.

6. Freezing Forecast Set For Saturday Night
The weather.com forecast for Green Bay on Saturday shows a high of 26 degrees and a low of 15 degrees for the day, with snow possible and winds predicted to come from the west at 15 mph. It’s not the coldest we’ve seen Lambeau Field, but it’s the coldest game of the season for the Vikings and the elements will definitely be a factor in the game.

Tags: , , , , , ,

86 Responses to “6 Vikings-Packers Storylines To Watch”

1. By ozzinator on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Ha BB7
    Why isn’t anyone talking about Mistral Raymond??

2. By MuskyFever on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

If we expect to slow their passing game at all, we need Winfield on the field. He is the heart of the secondary. Smith, Jrob have both done well for us this season. But AJ Jefferson (though fast with good cover skills) does not seem like he is getting to the ball at all. There needs to be some kind of balance in his game to keep pace with the Packers Wide outs.

Also though Mistral Raymond is also a great saftey, over the last two games he has made some raelly stupid mistakes. Taking bad angles, stupid costly penalties. I think the coaches need to really try hard to keep him focused and in tune with the game. Sanford is still playing well and I would have no issue replacing Raymond for Sanford if he continues to do what he has been over a few weeks.

Brinkley also needs to come through for our D this week and make himself one of Aaron Rogers “ground” friends. 5 Sacks was not enough to slow down Rogers so now its time to shoot for 10!!! at least!! Allen also needs to step up in this sub-par season of his. Though he is disruptive, it doesn’t seem like he had the power to finish. He could get there, just not finish. This is an issue when playing this team. Rogers can escape to well for us not to finish on those sack oppertunities.

Is this game winable? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Will it be hard fought? Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Does it worry me as a fan? Id would be a blatent liar if I said no.

Would it be the best thing in the whole world to beat the fudge Packers in Lambeau, nock the pukers out of the playoffs and continue on while those little b!tches watch from home?????????? It would almost be as good as a SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!

SKOL VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. By MuskyFever on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Hey ozzy, I talked about Mistral Raymond… Probably not in the way you had hoped though

4. By ozzinator on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Yes, thank you Musky.

5. By vikesince69 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I think I was too quick to throw in the towel on this organization this year. I owe an apology to all of them. They have really battled back and did what no one thought they could do. Kudos to all on the coaching staff and players. Still longing for that SB ring though! Just have to wait and see.

6. By polarisrmk on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

whats the status on harrison smith and his injury

7. By vikings rule on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Smith (shoulder) did not practice Tuesday, the Minneapolis Star

Posted 8 hrs 26 mins ago via rotowire.com

Smith (shoulder) did not practice Tuesday, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. [...]

8. By ozzinator on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Bob S. just interviewed AP on KQRS radio, awesome. What a stand up guy he is!

9. By 61Vikings on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Smith we’ll be ready to go, its Winfield who may not be ready to play!! All hands on deck, we need everyone!!! The biggest game for us since the NFC championship game in New Orleans,2009!!!

10. By vikingfanforlife on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

The fact that we are in the playoffs makes us potential Super Bowl contenders. So we have a shot to win it all. Go Vikes. Do it. Do it now…Oh Ya…

11. By Snoose on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Still no respect from the national media. Bears still ahead of us in the power rankings. Course, they haven’t given us a shot in the last four games and look at us now! Still bugs me though.

12. By Troutdaddy on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Good morning and Happy new year to you all!! So at 10 and 6 we see ourselves in a situation that not many expected. In the playoffs with a chance to get to the Superbowl. Despite all of my verbal barages of Ponder and Frazier, Musgrave and others, the Vikes stuck to their plan (not mine or anyone elses) and pulled one of the greatest come-backs I have seen in a long while. They surprised me and I am just sittiing back and being grateful that my 9 and 6 prediction was wrong! Looking at the story-lines above i just hope that the Vikes can come out and play their kind of football again. Going to be a tall order to beat the Packers at home, but I have no doubt in my mind now that it can happen and I hope it will. Going to phrase this like I did before…. Wouldn’t be absolutely amazing if we actually pulled off a win this weekend and wouldn’t it even be a freaking miracle if we won the rest of the games and go to the Dance?!?!? One game at a a time my friends, but the thought of this happening to me would be one of the coolest things to ever happen in the NFL. A great underdog story and I for one am on pins and needles prayng that it happens. Can you imagine? This blog could not contain itself… I bleed purple…. Nuf said…

13. By Gilberator on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Troutdaddy AGREED. Im sure all of us are bleeding purple with this given situation. I gotta give it to Musgrave. He has really kept this offense going and we are starting to come together as a unit. Lets continue this great run. I hope all of us are ready for a win this saturday night but I also hope we can appreciate what these guys have done already!!! We will be ready for the Pack on game day!!! SKOL BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!! CANT LEAVE ANYONE OUT!!!

14. By Gilberator on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Just want to clarify that I said Musgrave because I doubted him and hes doing great things now. Frazier I always enjoyed and now I like him even more. Thank you to the whole team!!!! Williams and Preifer are both doing outstanding and really keeping this team on track. VIKES VIKES VIKES!!!!!

15. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I remember that first playoff game with Green Bay– Mike Tice was our coach. It wasn’t that long ago and we were all surprised it was the first time it ever happened (GB-MN). It would be nice if it were in the dome, but the Vikes have to prepare for outdoor play soon anyway.

16. By polarisrmk on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

what was the extent of smiths injury, seperated shoulder or bruised

17. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m worried our youth will show on Saturday. Blair Walsh has not been the same kicker outdoors. Our young DBs will have to play near flawless football to limit Rodgers on 3rd down. Ponder does not have alot of experience playing in the elements. He did play at Florida State. Rudolph and Wright have to catch everything thrown their way. That will be hard if it is snowing. Our young OLine cant let the crowd noise effect them. There is alot of things that can go wrong especially for a young team like us. Anything can happen.

18. By Spike on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Is it Saturday yet?

19. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Granddaddy, don’t be too positive now.

20. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Anything can happen.

21. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I was thinking a little about that though– we won four in a row- all in domes. But does not matter– we held up okay at Lamebough last time– if it is snowing, we are favored with AP running– always make the obstacles work for you– like judo.

22. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

There are my 2 biggest concerns:

1) Our secondary, Winfield is key as well as a great scheme and blitzing packages to make sure Rodgers does not have time to pick us apart.

2) Playing from behind. There is a good chance we get down in this game, can we come back? We have not come back from more than a 7 point deficit this year.

23. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

These*

24. By Wheres George? on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I guess I will have to repeat what I said in another blog.

The Vikings are going to have to pratice outside in the cold to get ready!

That means Ponder is going to have to learn very quickly how to throw when his hands are cold! The ball is cold! The only thing hot will be the breath of GB’s
    Linebackers breathing down his neck. Get outside guys.

25. By Blog cop on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

We found you,George.

26. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I wondered about that too George– I heard Frazier said they would not practice outside– yesterday it was 10 below when coach arrived at Winter Park. I say, so what— great coaches prepare their teams for what they have to endure. I would have my team outside all week.

27. By Repete on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I have been a Vikings fan since I was five (1970) The hardest losses for me to take were the losses against the Cardinals, Falcons and the Saints. I remember Kurt Warner with his hand to ear when they defeated us at home. I remember when a then perfect kicker, Gary Anderson, missed that field goal. I remember the bad officiating coupled with a bad decision by Favre that caused us to lose against the Saints.

Still I think even if the Vikings were 0-16, we would be all be a Vikings fan. This years seems different to me. This year, I actually believe they can go to the superbowl and win. I had no doubt the Vikings would be in the play offs, I just didn’t think it would be this ardurous of a task; especially after a 4-1 start.

I am worried about the Packers, don’t get me wrong. But looking at the last four games of our season, Chicago, Rams, Texans and Green Bay. We had two road games and two home games and we were the most dominant on the two road games; Rams we won 36-21 and we beat the Texans 23-6. So if that is any indication, I think for us to win, we would actually have a better chance on the road.

28. By Smith22DMVP on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I dont think the elements are as big of a factor for the pack as they used to be. Farve played great in them, I’m not so convinced its Rodgers ally. AP will carry us there again, and Ponder has grown a TON since he lost us that game. take away his errors that game, and we would have beat them in an impressive way.

29. By eyeguy81 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

@Titus…One reason we have not played the Packers in postseason but once, is the vikes were an expansion team in the early/mid 60’s. Then the packers went on a 25 year drought..lol Hence, not many chances to play each other except for the last 15 years or so.

30. By vikesince69 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Green Bay will come out smoking and try to deliver a knock out blow quick this weekend in front of the home crowd but we got to hold on until we get it going and AP will get it going before the nite is finished. Just be patient and protect the ball as that will be the keys to beating the PACK! I know they want admit it but we got to be in their heads a little bit….I mean we took the best offensive shot they could throw at us on Sunday and we still won it. The pressure is squarely on GB because they are at home and are expected to win. The VIKES should be completely loose because no one in the mainstream media outside of the team and fans give them a chance to win.

31. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I know– I also am from the early 60s, but it still is odd.

32. By MuskyFever on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I was listening to KFAN and they said that the players chose to practice inside, being that it was below 0 degrees outside. The coaches then left all the doors open on the practice field to at least get some of the elements to come in, but it was not like straight playing outside.

But this boggles my mind, the PLAYERS CHOSE TO PRACTICE INDOORS. I mean I get that it was effin cold out, but I would want to deal with that cold now so Saturday night didn’t seem so bad. But I guess thats just me.

33. By vikesince69 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

That deep ball Ponder completed to Wright will pay some big dividends for AP this weekend. They gotta respect the pass more and that is going to give AP some big running lanes and he is going to be hard to tackle in freezing temps and the way he runs down hill!!! May see some Packer DB’s diving at his feet by midway 3rd QTR!!!!

34. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I agree– a few days in this– especially in the below zero– once they get to Lambeau, the players would be complaining it is too hot.

35. By MuskyFever on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

My biggest issue with this game is we are playing at night… I don’t know the statistics exactly, but I bet I could count our wins on one hand, and our night or “primetime” loses I would need both, maybe even a foot also.

We are a terrible primetime team. This is what worries me, something about being under the lights in prime time does not sit well for this team, at least not historically

36. By MuskyFever on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I feel like Ponder could have all the skills Brady does, and because we are the Purple and gold, they still would not respect us.

You can see it in their actions, their eyes, thier body langauge, their play calling, that they do not respect us. They never have and probably never will. BUT lets go to Lambeau and show them that, that reason right there, is exactly why we will win.

Historically, if the pros pick the vikes to win, we lose. If they pick us to lose, we crush the other team (or at least pull it out). I hope we never get respect to be honest. Teams like us faulter with too much confidence blead into them by the media. I hope they pick us to lose every game from here on out. WHY? because everytime we underestimate them, they SNAP and womp some little pukervillans, only the team can deside their fate it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY (or SATURDAY) … ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SKOL VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. By MuskyFever on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Stacking 8 or 9 in the box does not show respect to our team it shows respect to one man. outside of that, there is no mutual respect, especially from Rogers. He didn’t even shake Ponders hand after the game we won, he walked right up to AD and talked to him, blew right past Ponder. Just for that Ponder should snap and make them cry at home while we take down San Fran next weekend.

38. By Ricefield on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Been a while since I last posted…

McCarthy and Rodgers are confident they’ll win Saturday. One might say over confident.

To hear them talk, they won this Saturday, the Vikings just don’t know it.

A Green Bay reporter asked Rodgers about Sunday’s game and his somewhat struggles against the blitz. His response: I hope they blitz us again.

Well I’m hoping too.

I’m hoping since AD already has over 400 yds on the Packers this season that he goes over 600 this Saturday. I’m also hoping the new and improved Ponder that’s shown up the last FOUR games, shows up again and starts his own legend in Vikings lore. I’m hoping for one more thing, guys, i’m hoping the defense that showed up in the last 3 games and the first quarter of the 4th comes to bear in Green Bay.

If those things happen, well….. It could be a long night for the Packers and boys that’s a good thing for the Vikes and its more than possible.

Now I’m going to end this post with a sig I used for the baseball Cardinals back in 2011 (slightly modified of course). However, when I started using this sig in September of 2011 the Cardinals didn’t lose a series from September through October and went from the Wild Card to World Series Champs.

I’m seeing a lot of similarities between the 2011 baseball Cardinals and this Vikings team. They too had to win to get in. They were chasing down the Atlanta Braves and got in on the last game of the Season. The Vikings were chasing down the Bears and did the same thing.

The Cardinals had to beat the vaunted Phillies to advance in the Playoffs and here our Vikes are facing a heavily favored Packers. The similarities go on but you folks probably don’t want to hear about baseball.

So without further ado…..

SKOL VIKES!!! I AM THE BAND LEADER!!!

39. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

40. By DrinkHeavy on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m psyched to see whether or not Ponder can build on his week 17 performance in his first playoff game outdoors. Especially since Woodson will be back in the Packer lineup Saturday and he always seems to find a way to be a pain in Ponder’s a$$. We’ll see if Ponder can use those legs to buy time and convert key 3rd downs. One of the other things that I’ve noticed is that our OL has really gelled, is gaining confidence all the time and is pretty good at avoiding the stupid holding penalties in the red zone (watch those holds Loadholt!). I think they will be ready to take it to GB on Sat.

Defense? Pretty much everyone has a problem with Rogers, so I would expect him to have his moments playing on his home field with the usual Packer-friendly refs. Our D played pretty well in both games against them, but we will need a consistent 4th qtr pass rush (eg 49ers and Giants) to keep Rogers from finding ways to convert 3rd and long on us. Also with Winfield out, our secondary needs to play way more physical and avoid the arm tackles (that means you Mistral!). With Cobb coming back joining Nelson and Driver, we can’t let them complete an inside slant without making them paying for it – hits hurt in 20 F, so make them think about it.

Hey Musgrave, let’s try new wrinkle..Let’s throw in a couple of plays for Marcus Sherels on offense..I bet he’d be great on reverses or bubble screens..reminds me of a smaller Chester Taylor..very elusive. I know, with Winfield out, you want Sherels for defense – but I’m only saying a play here or there.

Other than that..GO VIKES!!

41. By MuskyFever on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Quick ?, When is the MVP choice selected?????

42. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

We’ll need at least 2 turnovers to win this game

43. By BlueBird7 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Noted are the comments on playing in the cold weather outside.

I believe that coach Frazier should not take a poll of his Vikings wheither or not,

They want to practice outside. Just do it! You can bet GB is doing some outside.

Before I went back into the Military, I buildt Timber bridges in below zero temps.

It was not easy or fun, it had to be done. I was not what is called a “Candy Ass.”

44. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

We are 7-1 when Ponder doesn’t throw an INT

45. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Watch for AD on special teams if we get behind.

46. By willioull@hotmail.com on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

GO VIKINGS !!!

47. By RichardA1 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m chanting “berzerk” go vikes to myself, by game time I should be at a full thundering scream, enough to drown out the green Bay stadium fans. Let’s storm this town-they won’t know what hit them!!

48. By pinkerton on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

thats right musky fever! on any given sunday or saturday. my local gas station clerk said my vikings got lucky. yeah sorta but i think i team just played solid football an outdid our opponent. great football lately. vikings skol in a playoff calibur game and gamecoks showed they dont give up a fight! hope we all enjoi the game!

49. By Dr. Remulak on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Rodgers is just jealous because Ponder did the one thing he could never do. Get married in Wisconsin.

If Rodgers wants to get married he’ll have to do it in Massachusetts.

BOOYAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50. By Sara Richey on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Just watched the first game at Lambeau again. Vikes looked slow the first helf. I think they should practice on real cold turf this week and also do something to keep up their speed at Lambeau. Maybe get Bud Grant to give them some tips? LOL

51. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Patterson/Minter or Ogletree/Rogers the first 2 rounds.

52. By Dr. Remulak on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Just came across this video today, had never seen it before. Pretty entertaining trip down memory lane.

53. By john 61 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

weather looks good for the vikes,go ad

54. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

First Round: Ogletree (ILB)
    Second Round: Rogers (WR)
    Third Round: Gabe Jackson (OG)
    Fourth Round: Wreh-Wilson (CB)
    Fourth Round: Jordan Hill (DT)
    Fifth Round: Rodney Smith (WR)
    Sixth Round: Tyrann Mathieu (CB)
    Seventh Round: Anthony McCloud (DT)

55. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Where for ~ art thou, Percy ???

56. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Listen gang– all the talk of past performances in prime time and outdoors on the road are just that– the past. We have a young team– look at it positively– it takes a young team to weather the storm of three playoff games– we have a shot. Can you imagine if we get to the Superbowl this season? Even winning this first game is great for next year– the young team will be seasoned playoff veterans!

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

57. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Rams are desperate to put some talent around Bradford, give us those 2 first rounders.

58. By Vikes4life06 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

My thoughts on Percy isloating himself among trade rumors

59. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

He has been injured but he showed he CAN play a full season. Also he demanded a trade NOT because of money. The great players in the league know how good they are and they want to be the one who, if not help their team win, wins the game themselves. Just the fact that its never been about money or him expanding his own brand is all i need to know to want to keep him.

60. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I dont want to see him on twitter praising his team. I hope he is angry because he is missing out on everything that has been happening.

61. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Many super bowls to come with this draft:

First Round: Ogletree (ILB)
    Second Round: Rogers (WR)
    Third Round: Gabe Jackson (OG)
    Fourth Round: Wreh-Wilson (CB)
    Fourth Round: Jordan Hill (DT)
    Fifth Round: Rodney Smith (WR)
    Sixth Round: Tyrann Mathieu (CB)
    Seventh Round: Anthony McCloud (DT)

62. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I wanted us to get Burfict last year but we didnt. I doubt Spielman will take Mathieu

63. By winonavike on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I am very concerned that the team is not practicing on a field which imitates game time surfaces at Lambeau. The special teams coach said they didn’t go outside because there was snow on the field—that has to be cleared off. They have to get use to handling the ball in exactly the same temperature and on the same field surface as this Saturday night. I would also pipe in noise.

64. By Ricefield on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

@winonavike,

It is my understanding that even if the snow was removed from the practice field the field is still frozen and the footing would be too treacherous to play on. I’m with you about trying to simulate game conditions but not at the risk of injury.

It is also my understanding that the team has decided instead to open the garage doors on the indoor practice field and turn on the air conditioning in the building to make it cold.

Seeing as how it is colder in Minnesota than Greenbay on gameday in that it is in the single digits and negative temps, opening the doors and turning off the heat should make the building cold enough.

As far as field conditions, Greenbay’s field has seen a lot of cold weather games and I doubt the Packers would risk their players who are just now coming off of injuries with a sloppy field.

That said, Peterson has the right of it. He says playing in the cold is a mindset. If you’re mentally prepared then its easy to put the cold out of your mind and concentrate on making plays. The Packers will be playing in the same temps, you just have the mental toughness to put the cold out of your head. Paraphrasing of course.

SKOL VIKES!!! I AM THE BAND LEADER!!!

65. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Mathieu has so much upside if he is available in the 6th it would be stupid not to take him.

66. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

BEAST. Won’t surprise me if someone takes him in the third.

67. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Parkway I want us to take him too.

68. By Parkway on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

If Spielman would risk Simpson, he should risk Mathieu. I hope they get Da’rick Rogers too. Just little pot violations, kids can be dumb in college it happens.

69. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

How would you guys like the second pick in this springs draft ???…

If we trade Percy to the Jags…Like I mentioned a few days ago…
    So the Jags can re-unite Tebow & Harvin in Florida…
    To help sell season tickets…

Maybe the Vikings will get Manti Te’o or Jarvis Jones ???…

Oh…Did you guys hear ???…

“Chris Mortensen reported that it’s a virtual certainty that Tim Tebow will be on the Jaguars next year”….

Vikingsforlife in his video
    has mentioned that Harvin has all Gator stuff on his website now ???…

I wonder why ???…

Put all the pieces of the puzzle together people…
    And what do you come up with ???…

I come up with a trade…
    And that trade being Harvin going back home to Florida…imo…

70. By Parkway on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I dunno about all gator stuff… wouldn’t mind Teo or Jones then Xavier Rhodes in the first and Da’rick rogers in the 2nd

71. By polarbear on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

skol vikes

72. By Ricefield on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

About Harvin’s facebook….

I checked it out and I didn’t see anything about the Vikes since the Rams game but the Florida Gators had a bowl game today so that could be the simplest explanation of why he mentioned the Gators and nothing about the Vikings.

Of course, I read some of the comments on that picture and I don’t think it would be in Percy’s best interest to post anything about the Vikings. He got ripped pretty good for supporting the Gators on a Bowl day, anything he says about Saturday will most likely get blown up with why he hasn’t said anything since the Rams.

Now I don’t know what’s going but it certainly appears that there is something amiss in this situation.

I’ll tell you that trading Harvin could be in his and the teams best interest. It appears some fans have already turned on him. Of course, that’s facebook and a lot of really dumb things get said on facebook. If he’s gone next year then it is what it is.

He’s still a good player but if somethings going on between him and the team or Frazier then let him go somewhere he can be happier and hopefully we get some value. If not, then I hope he comes back committed to winning but if what’s happening on facebook is an indicator of what can happen next year in the dome then I’m hoping he’s gone for his own sake and the sake of the team.

SKOL VIKES!!! I AM THE BAND LEADER!!!

73. By NFL Betting Canada on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Gotta say I’m pretty pumped to see the Vikings in the Playoffs, odds were against them and even now they are still 50-1 odds to win the Super Bowl but I still like them. If weather is an issue in Green Bay AP can run the ball all day and kill the clock. Rodgers play is unpredictable this year and we just beat them last week. A lot of three and outs. Clearly its not gonna be an easy game but we still have a great shot. Slow down the pace, create some turnovers and run run run the ball all day.

74. By Kathy P on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Statistically, the running game has proven to be the “winning solution” in cold weather games. I agree that this team should be prepared for the weather conditions at Lambeau. Ponder should be throwing/carrying around a frozen football. Receivers should be catching said football, Walsh should be kicking this type of football as well. Packers fans are already saying the “this game is in the bag for them”. OUR VIKINGS have to prove them wrong. My Birthday Wish: Continue to be aggressive when playing the ball, block/open up lanes for AP, NO 15YD.PENALTIES ALLOWED PLEASE, Keep Rodgers out of his rythm from the get go,some blitzes would be nice, keep him on his you know what more than letting him get mobile to throw, be more alert as to where Jennings,Nelson,Cobb, and Jones are at all times, SHOW THIS GB TEAM/NAYSAYERS that we ARE for REAL and go into the frozen tundra and whip them good! You have the support/faith of your fans that KNOW this team can do this! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

75. By pinkerton on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

man we have a good chance to win. i get more an more excited everyday! i hope our recievers are getting some “mojo” in thier system an we have a 1 2 punch combo on offense that keeps us close with rodgers. im pretty sure he likes to score. this will be a fun game. i hope. more so cuz i get to watch it on my couch! Go Vikings Go!!!

76. By HonPage88 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Skol fellow Purple People. I have endured some pretty harsh times as a Vikings fan as all of our true fans I am sure can relate, but never have I been so mocked and laughed at for my belief in this young team. Prior to the2011 draft I submitted a question for Wobbs Monday morning mailbag, entitled “Ponder This” In which I expressed my opinion that Christian Ponder should be who the Vikings look at: Here is that exchange, Wobbs response and my inquiry:
    1. There is no question Ponder will be there at #12. He’s a 2nd-round prospect.

2. I think Ponder definitely has some potential and I wouldn’t be disappointed at all if he ended up here in Minnesota. But if he does end up here, I think it’ll be with a late 1st-round pick or with a 2nd-round pick. The Vikings could trade back from #12 to later in the 1st round, pickup an extra pick or two, and then select Ponder with the late 1st-round pick. Or they could pick in the 1st round and try to wait to get Ponder in the 2nd round.

Thanks for taking the time to write,

Mike Wobschall
    vikings.com Writer
    Minnesota Vikings Football, LLC
    9520 Viking Drive
    Eden Prairie, MN 55344
    Direct: (952) 918-8523
    vikings.com

From: Jason Mullen [mailto:njcoda@hotmail.com]
    Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 10:30 AM
    To: Wobschall, Mike
    Subject: something to Ponder….

Real simple, Why have I not heard much buzz around about The Vikings seriously looking at Ponder?
    I have been reading Mailbag for awhile, I know his name has been tossed around a bit, but I am curious of 2 things:
    1)What do you think the chances of Ponder still being available by pick 12 are? , and
    2)If Ponder is there, I do not believe there is anyone else Minnesota could/should take but what are your in depth thoughts on Chris Ponder?
    I think he is exactly what we are looking for, He reminds me of the situation Aaron Rodgers was in when he was drafted. For my 2 cents I take Ponder even over Locker.

I stand by Ponder now as I did back in Mar 2011, I watched MANY of you throw him under the bus this season, when to me it was clear MOST of the guff he took was NOT his fault. He made many mistakes, (All common for most First Full Season QB’s) and really had a team that was not geared to Throwing the ball too many times in order to win as proven in many games this season. Ponder has Improved as far as I am concerned tremendously this season, and I think he will continue to do so. A victory this week will catapult number 7. This team was predicted by me to go 8 and 8 so as far as I am concerned they have overachieved. I just want to remind everyone that win or loose we are on a collision course with many great things with this team. New stadium, New Players/stars, and of course Old rivalries. SKOL and whoever attends saturdays game, Bring the love.

77. By rory from n.w.ark on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Remember the game with the Eagles,the year the roof fell in,at Phil,game was moved to Tues nite due to snow storm,Frasier just took over and we had to start Joe Webb cause Brett was hurt 2010..Eagles were heading to playoffs and we were given no chance ,We played one of the best defensive games ever and upset Eagles,in cold and snow….We will not be affected as much as the Packers getting ran over by Adrian,Peterson is gonna put the bruises on the cheeseheads as well as score three T.D. s The cold will affect Rodgers throwing more than Adrians running…..GO VIKES ALL THE WAY.

78. By BlueBird7 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

HonPage88

Yes, indeed that was 88 pages long, But had good info. Got more?:(

79. By BlueBird7 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

80. By gbprsRyodaddy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Yo Daddy Mad Now!!!! Queen beaches. Oh, you Queen beaches gonna get it now!!!. Daddy gonna make it right and smack the sass out you.

81. By BoydJoseph on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

If the Vikes say into their mindset that they’re gonna go animal on Green Bay, they could win by 20. I’ve seen Jared Allen go crazy. Remember when he got into a fight with Donald Penn and he got a sack the next play. The Vikes need that aggressiveness against the Packer’s hot offense. Also Adrian “All Day” Peterson has to be and animal ALL DAY, he always is but I mean work as hard as he possibly can. Toby Gerhart has to do the same thing on 3rd down when he’s in. I remember him at Stanford. He bulldozed over anyone in his path and he can still do it, but I have yet to see that from him. He could have 4 or 5 touchdowns this season if he would of lowered his head and broke more tackles. Don’t get me wrong I love him and he’s been great, but he could be better. Christian Ponder also has to play smart like he did last week. I think that Adrian is gonna get the ball 30 times and Ponder is gonna throw it about 15 times. My score prediction is 25-20 Vikings win.

82. By norsejeremyw on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

@ rory…I remember that game against Philly~ an electrifying game~ It looked as tho Philly wasn’t even trying, or we just were or both? IDK~ It was a spark at an extreme bleek time, however~

83. By norsejeremyw on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Go Tobes!! :)

84. By LariatQ on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

My preseason prediction was that; if Ponder could play a “solid” conservative game, and our defensive backs came through as we hoped, then the Vikings could contend for the Division. I never dreamed that All Day would recover to the extent that he has, and have the finest single season RB performance in the Vikings 50 year history. Staying with Ponder, Walsh, Rudolph, and the Vikings Defense nearly cost me a play-off spot, in my Fantasy League. When the Vikings defeated Houston in week 16, they won me the Championship Trophy in that League. As I have learned, repeatedly, since 1961, you have to stay with your team. Go Vikes !!!

85. By pack13timechamps on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

The weather favors the Queens? LOL! You guys are dome babies, you play in the awful Humptydump. Can’t wait to see Peterson get smashed to the tundra “all day”. And that cold ball will be slipping from his hands as well, he’s quite the fumbler you know……

86. By jim dandy on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

Enjoy the off season!!!!!