Griffen Steps Up In Big Spot

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 1, 2013 – 7:39 am

Adrian Peterson, Christian Ponder and Blair Walsh all picked a great time to have one of their best – if not the best – performance of the 2012 season. In the game’s biggest moment, those three Vikings registered A+ performances to help lead the Vikings to victory in a true win-or-go-home scenario.

But those three weren’t working alone on Sunday. Another Vikings player also registered a season’s-best performance on Sunday, and that performance was a huge factor in the team’s win. Everson Griffen played like a man possessed, and Packers QB Aaron Rodgers paid for it.

In his 3rd season out of USC, Griffen had arguably the best game of his career Sunday. He sacked Rodgers three times for a loss of 20 yards, hit Rodgers another time, and tallied 4 total tackles on the day.

Griffen’s first sack came late in the 2nd quarter on a 2nd-and-10 from the Minnesota 38 with Green Bay driving for what looked like could be a TD right before the half. The sack resulted in a loss of 9 yards and all but eliminated the opportunity for Green Bay to score a TD and instead forced them to position themselves for a long FG try. Griffen’s 2nd sack came on the Packers first drive of the 2nd half and resulted in a loss of 3 yards on a 1st-and-10 play from the Minnesota 45. Griffen’s third and final sack came in the 4th quarter on a 1st-and-10 from the Green Bay 34. It backed Green Bay up 8 yards and eventually forced them into a 4th down, which they converted on a completion to Jarrett Boykin.

For the regular season, Griffen finished 3rd on the Vikings with 8.0 sacks, just a half-sack behind Brian Robison and 4.0 sacks behind Jared Allen. Griffen also ranked 4th on the team with 10.0 tackles for loss, 2nd on the team with 25 QB hurries, and he added 7 tackles and a forced fumble on special teams.

Tags: , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Griffen Steps Up In Big Spot”

1. By Ozzinator on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

2. By BlueBird7 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Yes, Oz, but I am FIRST with a comment! I think!

Some people think that Griffen should replace J. Allen! Hogwash!

3. By BlueBird7 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

They both work together as a team!

4. By BlueBird7 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Next time say something Oz, even if it is wrong…:)

5. By BlueBird7 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

BTW, Happy New Year Oz! And everybody else!!!!!

6. By john 61 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

griffin is a good player,hes no jared a,allen numbers are down but hes more of a team player now,if we draft all defence this year we would be a great team, 1d tackle,2 linebakers,2corners,1saftey,restspecial teams,pick up a great free agent reciver,or trade harvin for one,or high draft pick and pick a reciver,as for griffin he should be starting,but where,

7. By Ozzinator on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

OK BB7. How come I don’t hear anyone talking about Mistral Raymond?
    There you go, and Happy new year to you!

8. By BlueBird7 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

John 61

Griffen does very well right where he is DE.

Weather report for game day called for 20 degree temps, but NO snow!

That could change before Saturday night. Better practice outside this week boys!

9. By PurplHaze on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

So glad this guys a Viking! He’s so much better at DE than OLB! Keep showing up, Everson! SKOL!!!

10. By Mike Wobschall on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Everson does not play every snap of every game, and I think that’s part of what makes him so efficient and productive when he does play. Since he doesn’t play every snap, on the snaps he does play he’s 100% charged and is going against linemen that are fatigued. That’s a big advantage for the Vikings. Griffen is having his best season as a pro and it’s helped the Vikings, particularly down the stretch.

11. By john 61 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

buebird 7 i didnt mean to get rid of him,i wish he could play every down,but thats not going to happen, i think with the rotations they have he great player

12. By Spike on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Is it Saturday yet?

13. By rory from n.w.ark on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Reading any input from NFL network or so called experts,,,again no one takes the Vikings seriously,We just took Greenbays best shot Sunday and we never flinched,I have said all along this is a magical season for us,,,,What the football gods have in store?no one knows,,,But I do know this ,,this is a very very special team, and no one can take that from us We win this game against the cheesheads of Wisc. what will stop us from going all the way ,So you so called experts that have not picked us right in the last 4 games,,,BETTER THINK LONG AND HARD BEFORE OPENING ONES MOUTH…GO VIKINGS ALL THE WAY…..

14. By BlueBird7 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Mike W.

Thanks for the comment on Griffen. And I was right, you DO read these blogs!

15. By vikesdave on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

vikings will need cb too replace sherels in slot.sherels could not tackle at all, wavyed everyone passed.NOT A HITTER!!!!!!!!!!! STAY ON SPECIAL TEAMS..

16. By Desmond Anderson on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Wow the so called experts are picking against us again …Its a good thing the game is played on the field and not on media pages … lets beat the Cheaseheads at Lambeau on Saturday and prove the pundits wrong ….again Sol Go Vikes

17. By liito on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I think I will be wearing my Vikings jersey through February 2013. The Vikings’ miracle season continues. WWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!

18. By norsejeremyw on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Happy New Year! To everyone!! I am very pleased with Griffen. Drops back into coverage, and great upfront. He’s coming into his own. I don’t mind if other teams double-cover Allen, we got this guy that can make sh!t happen~ Nice~ This Saturday should (or beforehand) help the boys get ready to play outside more, hopefully~ GO VIKES!! I’m really happy my father-in-law is a bona fide f’en cheesehead, too!!

19. By norsejeremyw on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I can be sarcastic, so beware~

20. By norsejeremyw on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

What jersey is that, liito?

21. By norsejeremyw on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Definitely better thatn 3-13, by far~ :)

22. By norsejeremyw on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

-t

23. By Tomcat on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

BlueBird and Mike W – Spot on about Griffen. Allen is also better against the run.

24. By RichardA1 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Griffen is turning into another Jared Allen, Awesome play!

25. By BlueBird7 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

It appears OTK wouldn’t mind if J.Allen was traded. Saves $$$.50 cents.

I say trade OTK for a can of Pork and Beans :)

26. By sdvikefan on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Why can’t I reply to a blog? This website is useless to me if I cannot. Also, it puts a new response at the bottom vs. the top. Get with the year 2013 and I will visit more often. Love the regulars but cannot respond to the trolls in any fashion. I am feeling a very bad vibe in terms of professionalism. If you want to run a website, keep it up to date and current with Big Brother (ESPN). Otherwise you will always be their biotche.

27. By sdvikefan on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

p.s litto, love your comment. I have CC and Moss and a Fran Tark jearsy in my closet.

28. By sdvikefan on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Bluebird. why do not you frack yourself for the last comment?

29. By sportzguy721 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

bluebird

Everson doesn’t play his “best” at DE, he gets a significant amount of QB hurries and sacks from the DT position on third down. Personally, I agree w/ Mike W on why Everson is so effective but I’d still rather he take over as the starter next year at DE and put Brian Robison back into his previous role when we had J Allen and R Edwards starting at each respective DE position. On 3rd downs, or a previously assumed passing down, move B Robison into the DE position and scoot Everson into DT just as they do consistently now.

I just hope we can tie him up, maybe a similar contract we gave Robison bc they are both very valuable to our defensive front. DT/top-tier ILB w/ a 1st rd draft pick?? WR depth is deep again

30. By chico torrez on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I just read an article posted by Aron Rogers, stating, He thinks the MVP should go to a QB. What does that tell you about the man? I respected him, until I read that article. I have been a Vikings fan for 40 years, I live Vikings Football but I felt the pain when they lost those 4 Super Bowls. I will always be a Fran, Fan tho, he was the best QB the Vikings have ever had, lets see if Ponder can improve on what Fran did for the Vikings.