Vikings RB Adrian Peterson came up 9 yards short of surpassing Eric Dickerson’s single-season rushing record. But he didn’t come up short of making history this season. Here’s a look at just a few of the incredible and historically significant records and statistics produced by Peterson and the Vikings rushing offense during the 2012 regular season…
– Peterson led the NFL in rushing with 2,097 yards, a total that ranks as the 2nd-best single-season total in NFL history and a total than was 484 yards ahead of the next RB (Washington’s Alfred Morris). He also led the NFL in scrimmage yards with 2,314, beating Lions WR Calvin Johnson by 350 yards. Peterson is just the 7th player in NFL history to rush for 2,000-plus yards.
– In Week 1, Peterson surpassed Robert Smith as the Vikings all-time leading rusher. He finished the season-opener against Jacksonville with 84 rushing yards, giving him a total of 6,836 at the time. Smith’s previous record was 6,818.
– Peterson is the first Vikings RB to lead the NFL in rushing twice (2008, 2012).
– With 2,097 rushing yards in 2012, Peterson now owns 5 of the top 7 single-season rushing totals in Vikings history. Also, Peterson had single-game rushing totals of 212, 210, 199 and 182 yards. With those single-game totals, Peterson now owns 9 of the top 12 Vikings single-game rushing totals.
– Peterson crossed the 8,000-yard rushing mark in 2012, becoming the 45th player in NFL history to do so and becoming the 6th-fastest to reach the mark (85 games).
– Peterson scored 12 rushing TDs in 2012 and became the first player in Vikings history to notch 10+ rushing TDs in 6 seasons.
– Peterson set a team record with 8 consecutive 100-yard rushing games from Week 7 to Week 15.
– With 7 runs of 50+ yards, Peterson tied Barry Sanders for the single-season NFL record in that category.
– From Week 7 to Week 15, Peterson had 1,313 rushing yards, the most rushing yards by a player in NFL history over any 8-game span.
– Peterson registered his career-long run (82 yards) on December 2 at Green Bay, and then matched it two weeks later in St. Louis with another 82-yard TD run.
– Peterson averaged 131.0 rushing yards per game this season, which ranks 1st in team history by an incredible 21.0 yards (Peterson averaged 110.0 per game in 2008).
– With three 2-TD rushing days in 2012, Peterson now has 18 2+ TD rushing games in his career, a team record. The Vikings are 13-5 in games in which Peterson has 2+ rushing TDs.
– With 2,634 rushing yards as a team, the Vikings tied a franchise record set in 2007 for team rushing yards in a season. The Vikings also set a new team record with a 5.4-yard per-carry average.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Robert Smith
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 148 Comments »