Williams Wall 2.0? Mock 1.0 For ESPN’s McShay

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 14, 2012 – 10:57 am

As it goes for NFL-related websites, there aren’t many events that generate more buzz, traffic and discussion than the NFL draft. So it’s never really too early to start talking about the upcoming draft. With that said, let’s take a brief break from Vikings-Rams talk to look more than 4 months ahead to the 2013 NFL Draft.

ESPN’s Todd McShay has released his initial mock draft. As we know, mock drafts are an inexact science even in their best form. So to try and conduct a mock draft before the season is over, before we know who will enter the draft and before we even know where each team will select in the 1st round is obviously premature. But it’s still fun.

McShay notes that defensive linemen have dominated his draft board all year and that the trend continued in his first mock draft. In fact, 14 DEs and DTs are included in this first projection. By virtue of their 7-6 record, the Vikings select 18th overall in McShay’s first mock draft, and they contribute to the DL-heavy trend.

With the 18th overall pick, McShay projects the Vikings to select University of North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams. Here’s what he says about Williams…

“Williams is the best player available here by a long shot. He has good speed and range, power at the point of attack, quick hands and solid instincts. The Vikings also could go with massive Georgia DT Johnathan Jenkins to play alongside the aging Kevin Williams, but Jenkins was not as consistently dominant this season and doesn’t present nearly as much value.”

Tags:

44 Responses to “Williams Wall 2.0? Mock 1.0 For ESPN’s McShay”

1. By OTKalil2012 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

That pick would make GDP vey happy…

I would like that pick also….Or ILB…

2. By OTKalil2012 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

*very

3. By Shawn on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Happy Birthday Titus

4. By Shawn on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

As far as the DL projection … it would be good to improve our 4 man pa’ss rush

5. By OTKalil2012 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

So many things could happen “after” this season is over, before the draft happens ???…

Will Harvin get traded ???…Or do they sign him long term…

Will the Vikings possibly trade J Allen ???…With Everson Griffen and Ballard playing well…

Will the Vikings trade Gehart..To get a pick back in some other area to help the team ???…

6. By OTKalil2012 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Happy B~Day Titus !!….

7. By Tooth Fairy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Kiss Kiss Kiss Titus

8. By Tooth Fairy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Kiss kiss kiss Ponder

9. By Tooth Fairy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Kiss kiss kiss Frazier

10. By Tooth Fairy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Kiss kiss kiss Goodbye to 2012 Viking season.

11. By Parkway on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

I didn’t think I’d be real happy with taking a D lineman in the first… but it has more than run stopping effects since we can all notice the difference having big pat williams in the middle made for our ends to get one on ones on the outside.

I’d be happy with him or ogletree in the first if we are going D.

12. By kevin on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

The thing is, our defense is easily the strong point of our team. Are there holes in our defense? Of course. We need a young DT, a new MLB because i am not a fan of brinkley. But watching our Offense this season, that is the area they need to address first. There is no possible way our offense is capable to get us back into games whenever we are behind we stay behind….is that on ponder? maybe, but to be honest he has 0 help outside percy AP and rudolph. Our coach says he is giving ponder another chance…well there is no possible way to get a godo read on him with receivers like simpson out there..We need to get him a stud receiver in the first round and see what ponder can do so we know if we need to move on or not. There are plenty of good DTs this draft, Jesse williams from bama will be there in the second round, our coaching staff has doe an amazing job with DT prospects, we need that elite talent at WR

13. By TuffGong on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Totally agree with Kevin, there is something to be said about Best Player Available…but come on!! There is a serious, serious deficiency on the offensive side of the ball that isn’t going to be solved with 4th or 5th round wide receivers. And I think it’s highly, highly unlikely that we’ll pick up a free agent that makes an impact in the deep game. At least not for a “developing” Ponder.

14. By TuffGong on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Ps. Am I the only one who checks NFL.com every day looking for that little red breaking news bar that reads “Vikings Fire OC Musgrave.” Man, I think I’ll get butterflies in my stomach if/when that happens!!!

15. By mac on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

vikings should take GLENNON qb north carolina state, 6-6, rifle arm,can run and throw, good leader…… clearly ponder is not the answer at qb , start webb next year … and develop glennon

16. By mr.versatility on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

I disagree with reaching for a need like wr in the first round thats what we did with ponder and as far as building are defense up more is vital a lot of aging guys I think mid to late 1st round wr are not much better than 2nd and 3rd round I say you take the best player available from a few needs(WR,DT,LB,S) any of those areas would vastly improve our team

17. By VikingFan95 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

F THAT!!! WR NO OTHER OPTION!!!!

18. By VikingFan95 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

THIS IS MY TEAM NEEDS IN ORDER

1. WR
    2. CB
    3. OLB/MLB
    4. OG
    5. DL
    6. QB (ITS A SHAME)

19. By VikingFan95 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

THATS THE POSITIONS WE SHOULD TAKE EACH ROUND

20. By Tru Speed on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

bowe

21. By autobon7 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

I want to see the drunk guy video again…..does anyone have a link or know where to find it? It was not up for very long.

22. By john on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

fire frazier he kisses ponders @ss sooo much he will never say anything negative about ponder peterson gets more yards running than ponder ever throws in one game its embaressing. we could have beat green bay tampa bay and the other teams easily if we had a quarterback the vikes are worried bout recievers they should get a real quarterback. the only real qb was favre and that was embaressing. 39 yards in one quarter is shameful and not a completion till the 4th quarter is no excuse and for frazier and speilman to keep him at starter is unfair to joe webb the team and the franchise. we want a superbowl even playoffs will do. a high school qb throws for more yards for god sake haha. grow a pair frazier start webb. you gotta be high out of your mind to think ponder is a good qb and ponder cant throw if he had andrew lucks talent. step up the game lets win and get ride of musgrave also its house cleaning time. we need to win

23. By Smith22DMVP on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

We need to use a hybrid between BPA and our teams needs. Target 6-8 positions of need then assign some points to those postions, add those to the guys score on a regular draft board so that needs rise SLIGHTLY. too many points added will cause for a bad reach. Then just follow your board and keep your ears open for trade opportunities to keep stockpiling picks. This team needs to continue to get as many picks as possible every year. After last years draft, I am confident in our ability to make pretty smart picks. Give those guys lots of picks and we should get a steal or two every year

24. By Harris on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

Whats a shame is that CC isn’t in the hall of fame.

25. By Vikings1 on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

@By TuffGong on Dec 14, 2012
    I think Musgrave is probably safe until the end of the season and I think Frazier will re-evaluate his performance then. Concerning the draft, I would like to see us go WR, DT, ILB, and the OL. The OL is playing ok but we could always use help there, have a nice day!

26. By pondersucks07 on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

wr is no good if your qb cant get to him,its never ponders fault,but it is leslie for drafting him. didnt anyone of the coaching staff look at any film on ponder at fla. st. should of drafted mallett.coach up in new england got a steal drafting him in the thied round.if we didnt draft pndersucks he wouldnt have been drafted at all

27. By Brad Childress' Mustache on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

I don’t like the Sylvester pick. We can wait the next year and take a DT in the first round. There’s never a shortage. You can find your Sylvester Williams the following year. It’s not a need-priority as much as Wide Receiver.

But how about this for an inspiring pick. Take Eifert, the tight end from Notre Dame with their first pick, and settle for Hunter or the wide out from USC or the best wide out available in the second round. Eifert is clearly the best wide tight end in this draft. How about him and Rudolph together. Like Hernandez and Gronkowski in New England. We already have our Wes Welker with Harvin. And we take a burner in the second round.

28. By Brad Childress' Mustache on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if Mike Preifer ever smoked any reefer? He needs to get jiggy.

I’m afraid he might try to cut one of my favorite Vikings, Chris Kluwe. What would Kluwe do without a job in the NFL? Perhaps marry one of the Kardashians.

Kluwe Kardashian. Hmm, sounds catchy.

29. By fran on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Needs;
    1. WR
    2. CB
    3. DE
    4. DT
    5. QB
    6. OLB
    7. OLB

IN FREE AGENCY:
    CB CLASS A
    WR CLASS A (HARVIN?, maybe)
    JENKINS OUT, SIMPSON OUT, AROMASHODU OUT, AND BRING ANOTHER WR CLASS A-

30. By Carl on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Vikings 4 round draft
    Rd1 Terrane Williams WR Baylor Down field speed works all levels of field good hands and the height to go with it.
    Rd2 Sharrif Floyd DT Florida Would make a good nose tackle to go along Kevin Williams and one of our young guys down the road.
    Rd3 Landry Jones QB Oklahoma Strong arm, Confidence, nice size fairly accurate.
    Rd4 Terry Hathorne CB Illinois Speed nice height

Williams kid i think makes a nice trio of recievers With Harvin and Wright.

31. By VikeNasty on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

I think everyone is forgetting that the vikes will need a RT after this year. I like Phil he gives good effort and is usually seen blocking all the way down field on All Days long runs but he has been so poor in the pass game he will need to be replaced.

32. By VikeNasty on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

Vikings D and run game are their strong points they need to improve passing game.

Rd 1 and 2 RT and WR

Then we’ll all know how good Ponder really is and can look to replace if necessary but I wont say he will as of the current situation.

Rd 3 pick up another CB with Winfield probably leaving I like Cook, Robinson, Jefferson (Although sometimes disappointing, can cover but doesn’t get his head around to locate the ball), and a rookie.

Next year look to upgrade the already solid D Line and maybe get a more athletic LB to keep up with QB’s like RGIII and Kapernick but even then I’m pretty happy with what we have there. Maybe just get prepared for possible departures of veterans like Williams, Allen, and Greenway which will be coming up in the next 2-4 years.

33. By furnished vacation rentals in Tucson on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A handful of my blog audience have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

34. By Wayne Raulston on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Take Fluker and watch Peterson get the record

35. By debs Dresses dublin on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I just like the helpful info you supply in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I am relatively certain I will be informed many new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the following!

36. By 24 hr appliance repairs on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

Heya just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few
    of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not
    sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

37. By Clay shutting on Jul 22, 2013 | Reply

Since the admin of this web site is working, no question very soon it will be famous,
    due to its feature contents.

38. By http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n05Swzin3xM on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Since the admin of this website is working, no doubt
    very soon it will be renowned, due to its feature contents.

39. By athletic trainer education on Dec 20, 2013 | Reply

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one today.

40. By portable Gas Stove Top burner on Feb 5, 2014 | Reply

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I don’t know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you
    are not already ;) Cheers!

41. By unique baby shower gifts for boys on Feb 11, 2014 | Reply

Hi there, You have done a great job. I’ll definitely digg
    it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this
    website.

42. By christening gifts for baby boys on Feb 20, 2014 | Reply

It’s remarkable to visit this web site and
    reading the views of all colleagues concerning this paragraph, while I am also keen of getting know-how.

2. Dec 15, 2012: (Late) Links Of The Week: Rams Up Next | Vikings Territory