Adrian Peterson Named Vikings Community Man Of The Year

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 10, 2012 – 11:48 am

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson is sure to collect many post-season awards following another record-breaking season on the field in 2012. On Monday, though, he was recognized for his efforts off the field and in the community. Peterson was named the 2012 Vikings Community Man of the Year.

“In my 20 years with the Vikings, I have never come across a player of Adrian’s stature who has been more kind, positive and humble to be around,” said Brad Madson, Vikings Executive Director of Community Relations. “I’m privileged to see the joy Adrian brings to others, whether congratulating a Special Olympic athlete, talking with a youngster whose one Make-A-Wish is to meet Adrian Peterson, or thanking veterans for their service to our nation. He’s a joy to work with.”

Peterson will be recognized as the Vikings Community Man of the Year on Tuesday at his annual “Shop With a Viking” event, which will be held at a local Sports Authority store. Teammates Brandon Burton, Chris Cook, Jerome Felton, Everson Griffen, Tyrone McKenzie, Mistral Raymond, D’Aundre Reed, Andrew Sendejo and Jamarca Sanford will join Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings Cheerleaders to help athletes from Special Olympics Minnesota spend $200 gift cards for a holiday shopping spree, courtesy of the Sports Authority. Peterson and his teammates will offer shopping tips of what’s “in” for athletes–boys and girls–helping the youngsters pick out shoes, jerseys, and other athletic gear.

Prior to shopping with the players, the kids will enjoy dinner provided by Arby’s.

More on Adrian in the community
The Adrian Peterson “All Day” Foundation raises awareness and funds for programs that inspire hope and build a better future for at-risk youth. Highlights of Adrian’s giving this year include: pledging $1 million to the University of Oklahoma in support of student athletes, donating $50,000 to Team Rubicon’s Hurricane Sandy relief efforts, and providing meals to 400 families in need for Thanksgiving in Palestine, TX. Adrian is also one to support his teammates with their community outreach. Adrian Peterson believes it is our opportunity and responsibility to help children in need all day and every day.

Tags:

90 Responses to “Adrian Peterson Named Vikings Community Man Of The Year”

1. By CaribooBill on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

AD is an incredible human being!

2. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Start calling him AY because he is more like All Year.

3. By CaribooBill on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Good one Titus.

4. By I Heart Mediocrity on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

If only AD would play up to Ponder’s level of play, he has been a real disappointment.

5. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey I Heart– that is mediocrity to post something like that on this blog– let’s keep this blog only about AP and his contributions on and off the field– I bet AP would tell you the same thing, Knock it off!

6. By MuskyFever on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

C’mon titus relax man, it was a Ponder joke… and a funny one at that… Good one Mediocrity…

In all seriousness though AD deserves 10 championships. He has won the heart of every Vikings and even non Viking fan out there. The man is a beast. I said in another thread that I am convinced that AP is a machine designed by the govt. to be a super solider. But after they built him, they stepped back and said “Nah, lets have him play football”!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the rest is history…

The man is super human and one of the better people I have ever heard of. I personally have never met him, but I have family that has and from what I heard. He is the standard that all other NFL stars should be compared to. A great player on the field and a better man off the field..

We love you AP!!!! Keep it up buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your a beast!!!!!!!!! Stick around, we need you for many years to come

7. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Musky, I am relaxed– but you know if you make “jokes” like that, Wobbles will shut this blog down– you know it!

8. By BlueBird7 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Titus

Wobbles won’t shut down anything!! I doubt he even reads more then one post!

If he did, he would have pulled the plug long time ago!

9. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I am really on the fence with Ponder– not sure he is as bad as people think– but the real issue is why are the coaches playing him week after week and costing the team and the fans a playoff chance? With good QB play, I think we could run with the big boys right NOW!

10. By MuskyFever on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

@ BB7 and Titus…

Thats exactly what I was going to say. We don’t need to play like nice children anymore. We have said way WAY WAY worse things about this team than one small Ponder joke at AP’s expense. If I was AP I would get a kick out of it. Theres a time and a place for that joke the place was right and the timing was PERFECT!

11. By MuskyFever on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Titus… With good QB play i question if we would be one of the best if not THE best record in the NFL right now. With average QB play we would have 9 wins instead of 7

12. By MuskyFever on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I think Fraizer likes watching the fans squirm

13. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I agree–and with home field throughout with AP and the D– we would be unstoppable. If someone higher up in the Vikes organization has a clue, we should be in the Superbowl in one or two seasons.

14. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I believe we could be contenders next year with a competent QB. All phases of the game are going well for us. AD will still be manbeasting next year. Cook will be back and hopefully can stay healthy same with Harvin. Add another WR to our offense, add a DT and ILB and maybe another CB in FA and I think they should be more than capable of competing for a championship.

15. By BlueBird7 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Musky

When and maybe “if” we lose the last games, we will watch Frazier “squirm”.

16. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

:(:(:(

17. By Spencer on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Harrison Smith is turning out to be a special player.

But I still have my doubts about JRob, he doesn’t belong on the outside.

18. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Frazier is an excellent coach! Good to hear. Zygi knows his football!

19. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Harrison Smith and Kalil have turned out to be excellent draft choices. Spielman is genius.

20. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Titus you are such a flip flopper you were just saying you didn’t like his attitude the other day

21. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Maybe if Ponder meets with Favre this offseason he’ll come back as a pro bowler? One can dream right?

22. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Not really Parkway– you can be unhappy with someone’s decision but still love them.

23. By MuskyFever on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Maybe we should just brain wash favre into coming back to coach the shallow Pond… or maybe we can just get rid of Ponder and draft a new QB… ahhh yes… that is my dream

24. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

If Frazier is still the coach, as Wilf claims he will be, then Ponder is going to get one more year as a starter. So we all have to hope that he can be an Alex Smith/Joe Flacco type QB next year and act like he knows what he is doing at last a little bit.

25. By MuskyFever on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Well I guess that is just another disapointing year of Great Dfense Beaslty AP and absolutely no pass offense unless of course you count the ones he throws to the other teams DB’s

26. By MuskyFever on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

But I guess I will hope that he comes to play next year and actually learned stuff this year. Because if he takes more steps backwards next season like he did from last season to now, we will all be lucky to get 50 p@ssing yards a game… Forget 100 that will be a thing of dreams

27. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Except we won’t have any backup QB plan and we will waste another year next year and AP will be on the decline and all of our players will be a year older. So cross your finger strategy

28. By GrandDaddyPurp on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

We could use J-Rob at receiver.

29. By Spencer on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

J-Rob should worry about trying to stop WR’s.

He gave up 2 TD’s yesterday.

30. By Richard1A on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Not fair to A.P. the old days they would just give it to the best player every play, we have specially selected players being paid millions to perform-they still can’t muster average play! give me a break, call our offense, the leaning on A.P. offense! some of those turkey necks need to be brought out in a Viking boat and walked the plank!! I’m going to watch A.P go Berzerk all the way to the NFL rushiing record!!

31. By Richard1A on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Is Ponder suppose to be this bad? alot of QB greats were bad for a few years, but this bad?

32. By Richard1A on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

The new motto should be, get A.P. the rushing record.

33. By john 61 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

all ponder needs is a new oc, and qb coach

34. By habs001 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

The vikings have been a poor road team for years…on most pass plays Ponder still gets less time to complete the pass than the opposition qb….right now the wr lineup is not playoff calibre…the team was 3-13 last year so if they finish 8-8 that is not too bad…..right now the established talent and developing talent is that of a 500 team…

35. By habs001 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

The vikings d right now would be dominated by the top teams…the posters who think this team is a sb contender with an elite qb are thinking with their hearts not their brain…if this lineup was the detroit lions i believe the same posters would say it is just a 500 team lineup…

36. By OTKalil2012 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

So we all know to root for the Texans tonight !!!…Right ???…

Because if the Texans beat the Pats tonight…And then beat the Colts this Sunday…

I believe they win their division and home field through the playoffs if that happens…And would have no reason not to rest some of their starters at home…When the Vikings come to town the following week…

At least the players with minor injuries…

37. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I hate that kind of thinking– win by default. I want to see the real Texans and I want to see my Vikings with MBT beat them!

38. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Any way– did anyone see the weather.com name for the snowstorm that came through this week-end? Caesar! Isn’t that crazy?

39. By norsejeremyw on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Did they have a name for the one two years ago?

40. By norsejeremyw on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Detroit you kind of let me down last night~ :(

41. By norsejeremyw on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I like that “walking the plank” idea, Richard~

42. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know– never saw names for a snowstorm before this year– there was an earlier one called Brutus over Montana.

43. By Shawn on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Looks like the usual suspects still crying about winning …

crying about not being under .500 all season

crying about not having a 10 loss season for the first time in 3 years

crying about a Coach who has 2 Super Bowl rings

crying about a Coach who has been a success in every phase of his football life

crying about 7-6

crying whiny b1tches

44. By Shawn on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

FIRE THIS “FAN” BASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. By Shawn on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

One of these “fans” claims if we had Peyton Manning we would be 12-0 …. then hates on Frazier

Hmmm 12-0 with talent?

So he knows its a talent issue yet still blames the coach … unreal.

46. By norsejeremyw on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I am so thankful the Vikes have AP! I wondered forever when the Vikes were going to pick up “a good” utility tailback. Don’t get me wrong AP is much more than that! He blows me away. I’m saying, tho a back that can catch, run, and line-up as a receiver, or whatever. Much like how the Rams used to use M. Faulk. I’m extremely thankful of their find. After so many years of having a near, nonexistent running game~ Thanks Adrian for all that you do, on and off the field! :)

47. By megakrab on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Everyone needs to be rooting for the Texans. We want their starters sitting when we play them… LOL

48. By megakrab on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

It looks like New England is showing them how a perrenial contender looks.

49. By megakrab on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

P.S. AP2K?

50. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Patriots know how to win. Period. Maybe I should adopt them– I would not be disappointed.

51. By megakrab on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I just read something that is a really racist, but they do make a point. The two teams with the most white players at skill postions are two of the most domintaing teams in the NFL. Patriots and our hated rival Packers. Maybe we need to draft some white receivers… HAHA

52. By vikingbob136 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Well, it looks like we re going to get the 1st string Texans when we go to Texas.
    Brady looks like he’s on a mission.

53. By vikingbob136 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

* we are

54. By megakrab on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

When is he not. LOL I hate the Pats like I hate the Yankees, but I’d love to see Brady in purple and gold… Why can’t we ever find a QB that is half that. Do we just not see potential in players? We had a good draft this year, but you can get a quality QB in the third round if you know how to coach them to max potential. Brady was, what a 6th or 7th round pick? I want a steal like that. HAHA Go all receivers in first 2 and then develop a mid round QB. At least I wouldnt want to have anyone’s head if a 3rd or 4th round QB didn’t pan out.

55. By vikingbob136 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Matt Birk was a 6th round choice for us in 1998.He made 6 Pro Bowls.
    You can always find the diamond in the rough, if you look hard enough.
    Brady was also 6th rounder.

56. By liito on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations, Adrian and more blessings to you and the whole Vikings organization. Historically, the Vikings from Management, coaches, and players have been great to the people of Minnesota. Good luck in your playoff hunt!

57. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think Frazier – Ponder is the next Belichick – Brady

58. By VikesShield on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

CMON TEXANS WIN PLEASE YOU GUYS ARE MY SECOND FAVORITE TEAM AFTER THE VIKES

59. By Spencer on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully we improve to 8-6 next week. Need all the wins we can get.

60. By VikesShield on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

So then they can set out there good players when we play them :)

61. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Pats are my 2nd favorite team, no way they lose

62. By Spencer on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Raiders are my second team.

63. By VikesShield on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

The vikings defense are the most impressive this year..the secondary played pretty good yesterday. And Harrison smith for defensive rookie player of the year . An AD is a beast

64. By VikesShield on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

But Texans are still probably get #1 seed

65. By VikesShield on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Really Texans really -__-

66. By VikesShield on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

WTF SERIOUSLY TEXANS GIVE IT TO FOSTER

67. By Spencer on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

…Why?

68. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

These are my teams: Vikings, Bills, and Bengals.

69. By Spencer on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Sorry to hear about that.

70. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I know–no Superbowls

71. By Bigfan1 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

AD should be MVP this year, NOBODY has ever done what he’s done this year.

72. By Spencer on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I thought the Bills were going to be in the AFC Title Game, Titus? How’d that work out?

73. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

shut up

74. By Spencer on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

How bout that Harvard Grad Ryan Fitzpatrick? Ha ha!

75. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

ha ha ha ha

76. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Pats will win the superbowl this year

77. By Parkway on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Signed another big WR project to practice squad.

78. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Broncos will be in the Superbowl.

79. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Broncos and San Fran

80. By PondersGFistheRealMaddenCurse on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

why isnt wright being used just like percy was. the size and skill set doesnt seem to different. jerome simpson needs to warm the bench. im sick of seeing that overhyped front flip. one flip wonder.

81. By Shawn on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Bill Billichick

1st season … 6-10

2nd season … 7-9

3rd season … 7-9

5th season … 5-11

6th season … 5-11

82. By Kathy P on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

I have a gut-feeling that Larry Fitzgerald MIGHT be available after this season. Just call it a hunch, but he looks like he is becoming very frustrated playing for the Cards. He wouldn’t even make a comment after the game because he ” doesn’t want to upset the young kids”. We need to pursue this option for a viable WR!!!!!
    He would be a welcome addition to our WR corps. Now, whether or not he would want to come to MN is another question. I say GO AFTER FITZ IF HE BECOMES AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83. By SmileyStar on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

AP is awesome. He is our offense and face of the team. Being top notch in the running game, is great, but I think we still need at least a mediocre QB to balance the offense. There is no ring in our future with Ponder at the helm. Next year he we have to address the QB position, my suggestion is Webb. He has too many advantages to be ignored and he should have been given the same opportunity as Ponder to develop. I hope AP gets his 2000+ yards this season.

84. By MuskyFever on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Kathy P. I think Fitz would be a great addition to our team. He did grow up here. But I don’t think the QB situation is any better here than it is in ARI. I honestly don’t think he would come here. I know if I was him and watching any part of a vikings game it would makeit hard to come here

85. By BlueBird7 on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Frazier had his head up his tailbone when he started “develping” Ponder.

He should have given Joe Webb the same opprtunity to develop

Webb has proven in the past he could and can outplay Great Savior Ponder..

86. By Bigfan1 on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

AP is a gold medal.

87. By Dueyz on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations, Adrian. I know he’s not all about building up himself, but just another great achievement for a great guy.

88. By Monique on Jun 15, 2013 | Reply

This plan will by no means promise empty outcome, complicated equipments and fancy treatments.
    They mainly work because they are focused on body movements which will naturally guarantee you acquire height.

89. By Tommie on Jun 16, 2013 | Reply

The accelerator pedal that is also identified as the gas
    pedal is utilized to boost the speed of the car.

90. By words that make a man melt on Oct 17, 2013 | Reply

Will you say items to make him feel lousy or say words to make
    him feel reassured that he is very good and admired?