Jarius Wright Up For Pepsi Max NFL Rookie Of The Week Honors

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 13, 2012 – 9:49 am

It didn’t take long for Jarius Wright to make an impact in his first career regular season game. And it didn’t take long for Wright to gain recognition for it, either.

Wright caught 3 passes for 65 yards and 1 TD in Sunday’s win over Detroit, and for that effort he’s been named a finalist for Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Week honors. Joining Wright as finalists this week are Rams P Johnny Hekker, Tampa Bay CB Leonard Johnson, Colts QB Andrew Luck and Seahawks QB Russell Wilson.

Fans can vote for Wright by going to NFL.com/rookies beginning now through Friday at 2:00 p.m. CT to determine the Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Week. The winner will be announced Friday on NFL Total Access on NFL Network and on NFL.com.

Tags:

29 Responses to “Jarius Wright Up For Pepsi Max NFL Rookie Of The Week Honors”

1. By BlueBird7 on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Wright, you are right up our alley! Keep it up!!!

2. By BlueBird7 on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

again no page!!!!! can’t vote. keep trying later.

3. By Muskyfever on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

The second coming of Percy Harvin

4. By Muskyfever on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

I really hope Jarius keeps developing quickly. He played fantastic and we all ahve been screaming for him for weeks on end now. Got our chance to see him and he came up big! If he turns out to be even half the player harvin is, this team could be very very dangerous once Ponder is fully comfortable and has a couple years under his belt.

I just hope that AP and Harvin get post season glory one of the years. I honestly believe we win the superbowl the first year our new stadium is built!!! gosh i hope so.

5. By lmeier on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

I too enjoyed the first series that Wright was in the ball game. Once he scored he didn’t seem to get many looks. Is that because he has limited knowledge of the play book or was he just not open? I haven’t went back and watched the game a second time. It will be good to see Harvin, Wright and Simpson working the field together.

lm estatic with the Wins this season. I thought we would be a little better than last year. With that being said, I’m excited to see what the front office does during the draft next year. We will need help in several areas especially with Kevin Williams and Winfield another year older. Must replenish behind them and get more help for ponder.

Anyone see a trade coming for Jarred Allen for multiple picks?

6. By Rudso on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

I don’t understand why we can’t have Percy and Wright on the field at the same time just because they are both “slot” receivers. Aren’t we running a West Coast style throwing game where you spread the ball around tot he open guy?

Why not have Percy and Simpson on the outsides and Wright work the slot. Percy will take 2 deep with him, no one is going to leave Percy 1-on-1 and if they do we’ll make them pay and Wright is a mismatch. Who cares if they’re both under 6 feet tall, Brady plays with a bunch of midgets.

Peterson said it best, Harvin missing this game was a blessing. Spread the rock around. It also seems like the WRs worked harder for the ball when they knew they weren’t running dummy routes with Percy being the #1, #2, #3 option.

Ohhh what it could have been if Childs was healthy. Can’t wait to see our WR core next year with Percy, Simpson, Childs, Wright and hopefully a #1 draft pick WR.

7. By PurplHaze on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

WHY WASN’T THIS GUY ON THE FIELD SINCE COMING BACK FROM HIS INJURY? I DEMAND AN ANSWER!!!

8. By vikingfanforlife on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Perhaps you already have your answer Purple, maybe someone on the team did not want him out there. What, is this another conspiracy theory. I must be watching to much Fox News. I must take back that conspiracy comment.

9. By Rudso on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

PurpleHaze, I believe the coaches didn’t think he was ready. I remember reading about him adjusting to the NFL competition. He was rough around the edges as a receiver in his route running.

I know it’s easy to sit back and complain why Wright wasn’t on the field sooner but we are not at the practices, we are not watching the tapes the coaches are to make a judgement on if a player is ready or not. Maybe he was ready a game or two sooner than when we finally used him and it took Percy to have an injury for him to get his shot.

However, now the coaches are wondering if they can afford to dress 5 WR’s during a Sunday. I see no problem. Percy, Simpson, Jenkings, Wright and make the choice on Burton or Aromashouldofcaughttheball.

10. By Vikings1 on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

@Rudso

I like your thinking about Harvin, Wright and Simpson and Childs when he comes back being on the field at the same time, also add Rudolph to the mix and they all could be very dangerous, the making of an excellent corp of receivers. Also I think our 1st 2 picks should be a DT & a LB, Guion is ok as a back up and Ballard is too light to be a long term DT. We could use a run stopper like John Jenkins from GA., he is a beast against the run @ 358 lbs.

11. By James on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

I was reading leslie’s press conference and something really stood out to me! They asked about wright, if he’s going to be on the active roster now that he proved himself. Leslie answer with a “we’ll have to see on a week to week…!!! Jarius wright better be on the active roster! Does the coaches not see talent?? I mean come on, burton and aromashudo have not done anything to help us win. Why in the world is our head coach still questioning putting wright on the active roster???

12. By dieseldog on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree James…..keeping Wright active would seem like a no-brainer….at least until he proves otherwise. Look how long they stayed with Ponder while he wasn’t producing.

13. By Rush on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

It was a good game against Detroit Sunday, But the last 3-4 times they had the ball they put up 6, It is like we are good for 3 quarters then we get tired on D in the fourth??, That has got to stop!!! well these next 6 games will tell us where we stand, the only weak game will be the Rams and that is no gimmy in St. Louis, 2- Bears 2- Packers 1- Texans WOW!!! Get back soon Percy we are going to need ya!!!

14. By BlueBird7 on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

I do NOT believe the Rams game will be “Weak”.They fought the 49ers to a draw

15. By Dakotakid59 on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

1st who is this purplehaze that demands an answer? ( what is that? )
    2nd ) it was nice 2 see Jarious Wright I hope Percys Huge Ego will allow him 2 git on the field w/him on Sundays. Of corse Mr. Purplehaze will demand an answer ?eather way i’m sure. But any way it was sure nice to see all the boysAfter Watching Houston play together nice and come out with a win even without the great Pearcy Harvin out on the field of play. We are 2-0 in our Division with a chance of going 3-0 if we can some how come up with a win in Chicago. After watching Houston win on Sunday they can be Beat. Expecally when we have Adrian Peterson In our backfield.
    ” GO VIKINGS GO “

16. By vikingfanforlife on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

“Smokin” Jarius Wright, has a nice ring to it. That works for me.

17. By northwoodsv2 on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

3 catches and he is up for an award? Are NFL rookie standards THAT low?

Sure, the big catch was electrifying (though he fell down), and the subsequent TD catch gave us a good jump start, but other than the screen pass and the end-around, they didn’t bother looking his way the rest of the game.

He DID take himself out of the game after the screen pass in the second quarter, and was talking to a trainer on the sideline. Maybe he has a lingering injury?

Can’t imagine why they are keeping him off the field otherwise, unless there is some sort of internal discipline going on, or he is a slow learner with the playbook.

He definitely looks like he can be an immediate asset.

18. By liito on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Frazier,
    1. Is it really hard to decide if you gotta play Jarius in the remaining games?
    2. May we hear from the quarterback’s coach and the wide receiver’s coach?
    3. When would Carlson be ready again to play?
    4. How about another Randy Moss-type or Cris Carter type of wide receiver?
    5. Is there anybody else from the wide receiver corp who wants to step-up?
    6. How about Chris Summers from the practice squad? How is he doing?

19. By rory from n.w.ark on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Im telling you all right now ,If Wright isnt on the field when we play Chicago than I will really question our coaching staff, they would have to have manure for brains if they dont see the potential of what Wright brings to the table, enough said

20. By autobon7 on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

I have big questions for our staff. Why is it that Wright, Cole, Webb is not or underutilized? Throwing them in here and there so they get a taste and we get a look would be a good thing. Not utilizing potential talent and wasting away on the bench in the games we really struggled is a crime. Yet on the other hand you stick with Ponder NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION?? Is it because Ponder was a 1st round pick and the others no? My idea is to play the BEST talent ya got….period. When we were struggling with the pass game why not throw Webb in at wildcat? If Ponder is so fragile that he cannot handle it then he is not our guy/QB. He must swallow his pride and see that the staff is trying to win at all costs. I’m hoping that we will still see Webb at some capacity because he is a weapon ready to explode. Cole could inject some energy into our LB core. And Wright (as long as he is healthy) needs to see more and more action. Lets not throw away a promising year (6-4) by saying that “this is a rebuilding year anyway”. Is it truly a rebuilding year when you have a shot at the post season? NO NO NO!!! This should have been happening when we were 5-2. It may be an outside shot to make the PS but lets give it our ALL. Throw in the young and hungry players from time to time. Let try some trickery and pull out ALL the stops. GO VIKS

21. By Rudso on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Maybe I can shed some light on why it’s not so obvious to have Wright suit up every game. Leslie only dresses 4 WRs for game day and because Wright’s skill set is very similar to Percy’s skill set, he feels like it’s a waist when that extra player can be a CB or a LB for example. Keep in mind there are a certain number of players that can be dressed on game day.

Now I don’t necessarily agree with this but I do understand the thinking behind it. We’ll see what happens, hopefully they find a way to have him on the field to compliment Percy and not just stash him until Percy goes down.

22. By autobon7 on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

Rudso…..that is a very reasonable explanation, but before Cook got hurt we could have given up a DB for a week or 2. Esp when we were struggling with the offense. As far as Webb goes don’t get me started as I’m a big Webb supporter but even if he does not start he should be a part of our offense even if it is in a limited role (wildcat, pass, run, returns, catching, whatever).

23. By Vikings1 on Nov 14, 2012 | Reply

@autobon7

They could also use Webb like Seattle used Sidney Rice to pass the ball on a half-back type option play. In my opinion Musgrave needs to get more creative on using the talent we have on the team, correct me if I am wrong but isn’t that what he is getting paid for?

24. By autobon7 on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

You are on the money Vikings1

25. By BlueBird7 on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

Mike W. Nobody can use this post of yours to vote..Don’t use it again.Ever!

26. By Troutdaddy on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

Using 5 receivers could be the solution to giving the Vikes an UNPREDICTABLE edge the rest of the year. Wright is a good weapon to use. Webb could even be productive in a receiving spot- why not throw another bone into the soup?

27. By soloist on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

I personally woud dress and play (5) Percy’s if I could. The argument that they have similar talents and therefore shouldn’t be on the field together is ludacris!

28. By PurplHaze on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

Rick Spielman … Listen up!

In the spring, during the 2013 NFL Draft, do Percy, Jarome, Jarius, Greg and Christian a favor. DRAFT TERRANCE WILLIAMS!!! This team needs another play-maker!

29. By Patrick McKenzie on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

On the subject of wright there could be many reasons why Fraizer might not have him on the field. 1 we can only have so many players dressed. 2 he may not know the playbook well enough 3 consistency 4 lingering injury 5 off the field problems. I think wright has only proved a little bit of what he can do. I also believe he will be a great asset to the vikings but Fraizer has to look at whats best for the team not just one player.