Jared Allen On Loss: “We’ll Be A Better Team For It”

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 25, 2012 – 11:42 pm

Through the first seven weeks of the season, the Vikings were one of the NFL’s best stories: a 3-13 team in 2011 that saw its heart and soul – Adrian Peterson – severely injure his knee late in the year than shuffled its roster significantly during the offseason, leading to five wins in the first seven games of 2012.

But even a fast 5-2 start wasn’t enough to make everyone believers. A date with the 2-4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the grand stage of NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football figured to change all of that, though. A win on Thursday night would’ve moved the Vikings to 6-2 through the first half of the season, and it would’ve placed them among the NFC’s elite teams.

But it wasn’t to be. The Buccaneers came into Mall of America Field and had their way with the young Vikings. There were flashes of excitement – Christian Ponder threw a perfect pass to Percy Harvin for an 18-yard TD and Adrian Peterson continued to destroy opposing defenses with a 64-yard TD run and another 123-yard outing – but it was mostly a disappointment.

“Hats off to them,” Vikings DE Jared Allen said. “They came in here and kicked our butts. Top to bottom, I don’t know if we overlooked them or not, but it’s an embarrassing game for us.”

The Vikings will quickly go from darlings of the NFL who were slowly earning the respect of outside observers to an inconsistent team that’s too young and not consistent enough on offense to make it through a rigorous second-half schedule that includes four games against Chicago and Green Bay and road games in four of the final six weeks of the season. But both of those descriptors are tags placed upon the team by outside observers.

What matters most is how people within the team respond to the Vikings 36-17 loss on Thursday night. And judging by what Allen – one of the team’s best players and clearly one of its leaders – was saying in the post-game locker room, the Vikings will end up being just fine.

“One thing I know for sure, we will come back and we will learn from this and we’ll be a better team for it. One thing about this game, it will humble you. Week-in and week-out. You can never read the clippings. You can never believe the hype. You can never believe the game is just a ‘gimmie.’

“Hats off to them. They came in here and took care of business. We have a tough part of our schedule ahead and we need to take care of some business.”

Tags:

226 Responses to “Jared Allen On Loss: “We’ll Be A Better Team For It””

1. By Mark on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

I hate to say this but another let down from the Vikes to their fans. This is the beginning of the end for this team. Ponder is HORRIBLE and the Vikes won’t even make the playoffs. Always a disappointment!

2. By Parkway on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Andy Reid 2013!

3. By Mike Wobschall on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

You guys give up too easily. It’s okay to take the loss hard, everyone will do that. But have some faith in your team. Believe in them. They will bounce back, and when they do, you’ll be glad you stuck in their corner. Skol!

4. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Wobschall, how is our offense worse than last year when we made nothing but upgrades to personnel and our QB and entire team had a full offseason this year?

5. By GarredH on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

this is getting ridiculous untill we have a deep threat we are just gonna keep losing its not 1970 any more not gonna win with just a running game

6. By RichardA1 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

not going to win running the same two players for 60 minutes.

7. By RichardA1 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Spoiled basterds! if I performed this poorly I would be out the door!

8. By GarredH on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

that one play after allen got his nose scratched was the first play ive seen from him all year where he played with reckless abandonment pinned his ears back and got some looks to me hes playing good enough atleast to be a valuable trade hes in his 9th season anyways drop him whiles hot still

9. By Immure on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Wobbs is right alot of fans have already given up on the season and we still have a winning record. Don’t write the team off yet. Yea I know the schedule gets harder after the BYE but things and teams change as the season moves on.
    Be happy that we’re 5-3 this time last year we weren’t even 3-5.

10. By vikescot on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

This game was embarasing , pathetic and w[o an offen. game plan…. Ponder was horrible but Mushie gave him nothing to work with. They need to move Ponder early right and left w/ Percy and Adrian coming against grain as Ponder moves pocket which wll in turn spread out the 8 in a box def. and allow for AD off tackle / play action for AD up the middle…. Ponder was a deer in the headlights trying to figure out what to do……

11. By vikescot on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

We always stick in their corner but when Offen plays as bad as they did against a 2-4 team who has talent and to be overlooked the way this team looked past them is not GOOD…….. Ponder has wheels , roll him out early and move the pocket for him so they can get the 7-8 box to spread out a bit and take the bull rush up and after pocket Ponder off the map for a while and then run AD up the middle once teams have to get outside to the edge to stop outside edge advantage!!!!! Get some imagination and let these guys play !!!!!

12. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I predicted this loss a few weeks ago and yet I predicted 7-3 at the BYE– I will go out on a limb and stick with that– this team will come back strong and whoop Seattle in 10 days. Mark my words.

13. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Wobschall, apologize now for arguing with your elder over the horrible plight of the Tampa flight on the Bucs playing capabilities.

14. By DRS. on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Coaching is the problem. The players looked tired and not ready to play. Coaching is responsible for that. 5-3 not bad considering; do not over look the Seahawks, they are a good team, respect them or you will lose to them as you did to Tampa.

15. By DRS. on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Good day to one and all, I still think the Vikings will be 10-6 this year, though the coaches better step up to the plate for that to happen, SKOL Vikings.

16. By thenaj17 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

vikescot – ”Ponder was a deer in the headlights trying to figure out what to do”

That’s out of order. He was checking his reads to find no-one open time and time again…not that he had more than 3 seconds to look for anyone very often. Our O-line and receivers didn’t give him a chance to shine and that was the same story as last week.

No-one was giving Ponder a hard time after we were 4-1. He hasn’t become a bad QB overnight. He’s not a star but he’s far from a scrub that some of you are making out!

17. By purplehaze1 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

tired of the “we’ got our butts kicked…we will bounce back…balh…blah…blah”. newsflash…if CP can’t digest Billy and his 6 play offense…he will not be able to handle an expanded playbook (not that i think Billy has it in him either); regardless of how smart he is. 2nd year…full training camp, and i see him continue to make the same mistakes…sorry but this is not progression. CP looks like another Sage…throwing out stats for Manning, Brees, etc, during the same time in their career, is comparing apples to oranges…besides their OC had a lot more on the ball than the Jack/Jill approach that Billy has…GO VIKES!!!

18. By Jayson on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Boy was this game a tough one. I dont why but I had a feeling it would go Tampa’s way. I know its easy to point the finger at Ponder given the way he has struggled in recent weeks. However, I think the o-line is not pass protecting well. Ponder was under durees ALL NIGHT and much of the pressure came right up the gut by UNTOUCHED defenders. When Ponder had time, he made some good throws but you could tell that he wasnt comfortable with the pass protection. I was alos surprised that the Bucs ran the ball as well as they did last night. I do believe that they will bounce back though. Its gonna be tough though. In 10 days they play IN SEATTLE which is maybe the toughest place to play for an opposing team. I hope the Offense comes ready because that seahawk Defense is MUCH better then what they faced against Tampa. Fortunately for the Vikes, the seattle Offense is not very good so if D shows up we should be able to have a chance to win at the end.

I am very happy with the development of Brian Robison but the loss of Cook is going to make it harder for the D.

19. By Jayson on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Purplehaze, Do you not realize that the Vikes are 5-3 when they were actually picked to be one of the worse teams this year? Why are you negative? look, the Vikes are a young team and yes, they are making mistakes but SO WAHT! they are still doing some GOOD THINGS. They are a young team that has yet to find thier way but they have a bright future. Stay positive and support your team!

20. By jester skinster on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

21. By jester skinster on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Vikings @ 4-1 = Fraud….get their a** handed to them by Skins & Bucs. That slide gettin awfully slippery. Hold on tight Titus the Zero

22. By Gilberator on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Okay am I the only one that feels our offense should be better than it is? Ponder has great skills and I feel he should be doing better than he has been since the 9ers. With Peterson, Simpson, Harvin, and Rudolph we should be scoring points. Its not even Ponder at all times, the receivers cant even get open! I think we need a new offensive coordinator. Musgrave just aint cutting it. Does anyone else agree? I feel as though its too easy for opposing defenses. Tampa played very well, but i dont think Musgrave helped our situation any. Of course the tunovers had a huge role in our defeat but theres too many “why would you do that?” plays goin on.

23. By RichardA1 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

The last 3 games is enough to make you think Ponder can’t play quarterback.

24. By purplehaze1 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Jayson…been behind them since ’68…year in year out…middle of the pack…we”ll get better…young all kinds of potential…gets real tiring after all this time. at 5-2…they surprised a lot of people, i was still not comfortable with the record. CP…has some skill, but, IMO not at the level to be an elite QB…his situation is certainly not helped by Billy. in the 44 yrs i have been a fan…like others i have seen the good, the bad and the down right ugly. while this young team is not down right ugly; the inconsistency and lack of creativity from the OC; doesn’t make me want to jump for joy either…GO VIKES!!!

25. By vikingsfan1963 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I think it’s time to put webb in and sit ponder down ????

26. By SkolAllDay on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

As a Vikings fan I have to say this was a disgusting performance… What a disappointing game for our defense, especially the secondary. I have not been this embarrassed to be a vikes fan in a while. Ponder was not as horrible as everyone thinks, he did what SHOULD have been enough to win considering our around 16 ppg allowed average. something needs to be done with our corners and our linebackers pass coverage. Im not sure if this was just a “quick turn around, short week” fluke, or if we just really are as bad as everyone thinks… I’ll be depressed tomorrow as I will be all week, and i know you all will be too. I can only hope we get everything together and go over .500 the rest of the season. SKOL Vikes. Lets not dwell too much… I guess

27. By Muskyfever on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Peterson and Harvin played great as usual, but the rest of our Offense sucked!

Ponder hit some deep pa sses, so that was good, but missed a few big ones too. The team called more deep pa sses so that is good, but it didn’t help. My issue was, he was starting to hit deep throws, but then mising the short ones???? that dosen’t make any sense

Martin had 254 Total yards on our D with like 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter… WHAT??? How did our D fold that bad. If we can’t stop their Offense, how are we going to stop the Packers or Houston?????

28. By AP fumble all day on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Put a fork in the Vikes there DONE!!!!!!!!!!

29. By AP fumble all day on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Allen has to go to free up some money for a good WR. Its sad our KR slot guy is our main target.

30. By Matthias on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

The Bucs have like 3 Pro Bowlers on their line?

31. By garrett1212 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Painful to watch. Peterson and Harvin can’t do it all. Ponder needs to rebound soon. He made a few good throws, but a lot of bad ones. Starting to try and do too much. Missed a lot of check downs trying to throw the deep ball. I will give him some slack because our offensive line didn’t block anyone. Seemed he was running for his life most plays. Offense needs to help keep the D off the field so they can stay fresh.

32. By Muskyfever on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I disagree that a lot of the fans have given up on the season. Sure I have my opinions about how I think we played… Terrible,

If you are a fan out there and have already “given” up on the season. YOUR NOT A REAL RAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn’t give up last year when we were absolutly terrible. I will have opinions and be opinionated about them, but in no am I given up on them.

if you have then your a discrace of a fan

33. By Muskyfever on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

*FAN!!!!!!!!!!

34. By jrich on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

The only way the vikes offense can really get going is to get kyle rudolph involved early. Most of the games we won, rudolph was thrown to more.

35. By BlueBird7 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I think that if Jared Allen had been hit in the snoot sooner in the game, he could have gotten to the QB more than once. Note the very next play he got him!

36. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

PAY PERCY! BE PATIENT WITH PONDER! UNLEASH JOEY WEBB!

37. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Muskyfever our D wasnt done any justice with the offense’s turnovers. We should all focus on the Offense. I feel our D rose to the occasion but the offense just didnt capitalize on the opportunities.

We are young on both sides of the ball so we WILL get better on both sides.

38. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I have a confession. I started Doug Martin at the last second yesterday.

39. By purplegoldman on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

What hurt the offensive line play was the loss of J Carlson, Him and Rudoulph picking up Blitzes have given Ponder plenty of time, without JC to help it is falling apart real quick. The Bucs Blitzed 65% of the time.

40. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Maybe we all can stop saying how bad we are or how bad so and so is and give credit to the Bucs for the win. They are definitely better than their record says.

41. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Rhett Ellison is our best blocking TE.

42. By purplegoldman on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I am a die hard Fan but a realist as well the truth can be painful but neceasary.

43. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Is Brandon Fusco our guy at RG? I’m starting to doubt him.

Biggest Need(s)

Linebacker
    True No. 1 receiver.
    No. 2 receiver.
    Offensive Guard.

44. By purplegoldman on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Part of me wants them to win alot more games , but part of me wants them to have alot of high draft picks to solidify this team for the long term.

45. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

The Jets are at least using Tebow. We need to stop wasting Joe Webb’s talent. The guy can be a game changer we all know that and he has proved that.

46. By purplegoldman on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

the O line was hurt by the absence of J Carlson Blocking, Remember the Vikes use there two Tight Ends to block Blitzers.

47. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

We dont need high draft packs. As long as we can hit with the draft picks we have. If last year was any indication, I’m confident we can bring in the right people with the picks we have.

48. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Rhett Ellison is used more for blocking than Carlson. That should not be an excuse for the OLine.

49. By purplegoldman on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Wrong. JC is the best Blocking TE we have.

50. By vikesince69 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

This team may go 7-9 or 8-8 but they have peaked for this year. Better than last year but still a long way to go to be considered for a real run in January.

51. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I wish I was the coach so I could go to Joe Webb and ask him the simple question; “Do you want to be a quarterback, or do you want to WIN?”

This offense could use his talent. He is not someone the defense can sleep on like Micheal Jenkins or Simpson.

52. By john on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

vike always have a hard time with tampa,need new oc,bad calls,team was just dead last night,they will be alright

53. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Rhett Ellison was the one helping Matt Kalil block Justin Smith against the 49ers. Ellison is used more for blocking than any of our other TEs, and for good reason.

54. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

John- EXACTLY! Give the other team their props and move on!

Well said.

55. By purplegoldman on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

So where was he last knight?

56. By Gilberator on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

The turnovers ruined the flow of the game for us. Why are people saying to sit Ponder??!?! Its not his fault the O-line couldnt block squat 70% of the time. I feel he did ALOT better with controlling the ball and taking the sacks instead of throwing into coverage. Answer to why Martin did so good against our D? First off, hes a great player. Second, that o-line is extremely good. Freeman had time, Martin had openings. Thats how you win a football game. O-line is something we NEED to help Ponder develop. Peterson could use it too considering he would probably have 200 yard games. All Peterson needs is the blocks at the line of scrimmage. After that Peterson is almost no match for opposing secondaries. As I previously stated, we need a new offensive coordinator. I like Frazier, he has proven that the guys rally around him and he can win football games. Musgrave is lucky because if we didnt have the talent we have now, he would look much worse.

57. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Well they sent him out on routes and he played well. I recall a play where he was wide open but ponder decided to go over the top and throw to Simpson I believe who was being double covered. He cant line up on both sides of the line.

But anyway stop focusing on the blocking. The blockers did NOT fumble twice and lose the ball.

Bottom line, the entire team could have played better.

58. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

You can blame Ponder/Musgrave/OLine.

The fact of the matter is our receivers saw alot of 1-on1s last night and Ponder HAS to throw into it and give his receivers a chance to make a play. Handing off to AD and throwing short will only take us so far. Someone is not doing their job, and I expect that to be fixed.

I predicted 6-10 before the season so I am satisfied with what we have done so far. But the bottom line is we can do better, and we NEED to do better if we want to talk playoffs

59. By Viking33 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Kluwe – Great Punt……gave them points.

Simpson – Fumble……gave them points.

Peterson – Fumble…..gave them points.

Defense – Made the Rookie RB a Hall of Famer……

OLine – Horrible Pass Protection

Ponder – Bad Decisions – Take what the D gives you

Musgrave – We know the Harvin Bubble screen works….., but so does everyone else.

Pas s Rush – Where are you?

Can we create a turnover or two? Seems every other Defense can do it…

Indeed a Team loss – Don’t come down on Harvin only

60. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

PAY PERCY

61. By Viking33 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Everyone expects us to come out and start running the ball…..but lately we seem to be calling the play action pass early……don’t over think it. People are worried about us running the ball because we are good at it…..you let them off the hook when we don’t come out pounding the rock at them.

Hopefully they will watch Houston play and figure out that we can win being a running team. We could have run the Bucs out of the building last night, if we gave ourselves a chance to do so.

62. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Bigger story line. Beast Mode vs All Day.

63. By Viking33 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Oh ya and you may as well pay Percy even if it takes firing every Receiver we have on the team to do it. I would rather see a Line up with multiple Tight Ends – AP – Percy – Ellison etc out there. Seems our recievers are useless anyways.

64. By john on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

they have time to rest a little bit before next game, get it together we will see how good the team is then, but stay true, they need your help,iam sure they read the remarks you guys right,be a fan.there young,if they get a new oc they will be fine

65. By Viking33 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

If they let AD go AD then that would be a bigger story for sure……They are making it easy on the other team by trying to be what we are not.

66. By Troutdaddy on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I agree with the comments on the O-Line. They really let Ponder down last night. He was scrambling all over the place and the pressure messed with his head big-time. Ponder will be alright. I truly believe that the coaches need to TOTALLY revamp their play calling scheme. I have been saying that for a long time now and so have many on here, but if the O-line can’t give Ponder time to implement the scheme (Whatever it is) then that is not going to matter. I am still baffled as to why the offense has not used Wright and others and at least tried a deep threat focus for a couple of drives? Why not send 5 receivers? Why not have Peterson, Harvin, Aroma, Simpson and Wright and Rudolph all in a scare the living crud out of the defense??? Mix it up and make it dynamic. Why not Hve Webb come in and make a few plays? (Not as QB mind you) I don’t get why in a rebuilding year that they are not using some options to figure out what they really have. We already know that Peterson and Harvin are beasts, but they cannot always be the go-to guys. Rudolph could be a Superstar as well, but with the current scheme, he is underutilized. Just my take, but so far I think I am not off-base. Last thought- Sky is not falling so all of you fair-weather fans guit your boobing and support your team. Win or lose you gotta bleed purple. Yeah- we lost to the Bucs and to Indy and to the Skins. Ticked me off too, but that is no reason to lose hope or to write off these guys. SO, man up and cheer louder and keep praying that we see continual changes and progress. Little by little we are seeing stuff shape up. I wish it developed A LOT faster, but it is what it is. I BLEED PURPLE… Nuf said…

67. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Cook break his left or right wrist? He could come back a little sooner casting that left one

68. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Vikings O-line troubles ???…

Makes a fan wonder, after two games straight the O-line being manhandled at home…Is the defense picking up a “tell” on what the offensive play call is ???…

Is the opposing defense keying off the actions of a certain players…And getting that extra jump off the ball on defense ???…

Our front four had there hands full with a HUGE O-line of the Bucs…But where were our LB’s on running plays ???…

The O-line was letting way too many defensive players through, totally untouched ???…

Give a big G and 2 LB’s to add to this young teams 53 man roster next season…Fusco has room to grow into the position yet…But way to many plays are getting past (veteran) C Johnson…

Vikings got SPANKED !!!…Bucs played VERY well !!!…

And WHY is Jenkins still on this team ???…If they ever make a movie of Jenkins play this season…It would be called…”The invisible man”….

69. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Offense has to find a new “punch” somehow. Not much choices: Wright, Wildcat Webb,Burress or an unknown player by the trade deadline. There is absolutley nothing on the waiver wires

70. By themarkZ88 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I love the Vikings and was super surprised by their fast start. I has said that an *8-8 season would not be bad given the lack of large change but enough significant change to help us win games. That said I am not worried about the record, just very disappointed with our offense. I have zero faith in Ponder and feel like he does not give our offense what it needs to be explosive and score points. I am tired of watching us go three and out, punt, or if we’re lucky settle for a field goal. The Vikings are a kind of team that needs to get ahead and stay there… unfortunately Ponder has always scrambling to catch up and score points late because he waits til 4th qt to wake up and compete…. Score points and create opportunities in first half!!!!!!!!!!!!

71. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

we will be a better team when Ponder leaves

72. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Notebook: Little backs killing Vikings

73. By john on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

these recivers are ok,they just know there not in the game plan and so do the teams we play,because are oc sucks he dont know how to get them in the game,he thinks 2 guy can win all,take out the2 ps and see how we do,

74. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Burton is just holding a roster spot to help the O Line block for Ponder. How will he ever progress with his route running and separation skills?

75. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Ponders new name is 3 and out

76. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I remember when Musgrave was working with Matty ice…

Always thought he called a conservative game back then for the Falcons also…

Never wanting to cut Matt Ryan loose with the passing game…Being predictable…And always wanting to run Turner into the ground…And he had very good receivers in Atlanta at the time…

Now he has a great RB in AP…And no WR’s outside of Harvin and Rudolf…

Just hard to see the offensive play calling taking a step forward from this point in time…

77. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I think we all agree we need a change at OC.

78. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Kyle Shanahan?

79. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

80. By melvin on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

The problem is everyone sees our biggest problem is our offense. Everyone says its the execution i beleive its the playcalling. When Favre was there percy was a deep threat now all of a sudden he isnt. Where is Jarius Wright we drafted him not to be active is he doin that bad in practice. And the playcalling b4 the ball is snapped i know whats coming and im not getting paid millions to be able to see that what do u think other def coord see. Stack the box they cant go deep. and where is kyle rudolph u mean he isnt ever open and they are jus using simpson on streaks where are post routes where are slant routes where are combacks i mean come on musgrvae wtf they are treatin ponder like alex smith and mark sanchez jus want him to manage the game doesnt work in todays nfl frazier better change something or because of musgrave he will be out of a job. Also trade for dwayne bowe worried about a young team plz hes worth a first rnd pick. Cut jenkins Burton aroshamadu carlson and move winfield to saftey like bucs did with barber

81. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Pete Carmichael

Mike Shula.

two guys that are better than Musgrave

82. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Bowe and a top 5 qb would put us in the superbowl

83. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Time for a gut check– our QB may not be who we thought he was.

84. By Melvin on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

No one will trade a top 5 qb

85. By Viking33 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Hmmm – another change at OC…….I think Musgrave is a smart guy, he knows how to do things, just not what needs to be done – they are two different things. It is the HC’s job just as much to guide those decisions.

I think Ponder is a smart guy too, but he seems like a guy that is thinking way too much out there. He plays better in a hurry up style offense, because it doesn’t afford him the oppurtunity to over analyze everything. Make him play instinctive, and he will have better results, and he looks so much more comfortable doing it as well.

86. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

GDP yes but it will have to wait until off-season

87. By Melvin on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

We knew who he was at Fsu he was a mediocre qb jus because we started good ppl thought he was better then he was jus like Sanchez

88. By vikingbob136 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

There is a reason the Vikes aren’t on Mon nite or Sun nite football this season.
    They were not good last year.They were not suppose to be good this year.
    But with their surprising start everyone got carried away with winning the division
    and making the playoffs.
    Now that we can see what we really are, lots of us are being very negative after
    every loss. I think we should all be happy with a 8-8 season.Our schedule is rough in the 2nd half and i think 3 or 4 wins is a reality.
    I think Jared Allen should get punched in the 1st quarter every game.
    I miss Visante Shiancoe.
    Our offensive coordinator needs to plan better for the blitz.
    We can not make the playoffs without a deep threat.(Simpson is not the answer)
    Be happy with mediocrity!!! That’s all we are.(Ouch)

89. By Viking33 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Melvin I agree – I hate it when the coaches make the QB play in a box. Do they tell AP or Havin which way to cut when they are in the hole, or do they depend on their natural abilities to decide that…….it is no different at QB.

90. By vikingbob136 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

2 against G.B.
    2 against Chi
    1 against Det
    1 against Houston
    1 against Seattle
    1 against Rams

3 or 4 wins is very good
    5-8 wins is superb

91. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Be happy! I love it Vikingbob. In reality, we should be — it is much better than last year– relax exveryone and enjoy the week-end. Life goes on– don’t allow some purple millionaires to ruin your mood.

92. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

too bad we won that Rams game last year, we could of got rg3 in the draft. why didn’t we throw that game?

93. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

They would never have taken RG3– no way. We beat the Rams? I don’t even remember any of our wins last year.

94. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

i meant Carolina, we were in the running with the rams for 2nd pick right up until we beat Carolina . we beat Arizona and kansas city also, 3 wins

95. By vikingbob136 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Being a longtime a lifelong Viking follower and an old timer, you learn to be patient.
    When someone mentions the Super Bowl, the first thing i think of is that i watched
    the Vikes lose 4 of them.If you would have told me in 1968 that in 2012 the Vikes
    still wouldn’t have won a Super Bowl,you think i might have rooted for another team.
    But most of us here bleed purple and would never dream of rooting for another team.
    So stay positve and root root for your team.That’s all you can do.You can’t suit up and play so be a great fan!!!

96. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

vikings got robbed against the Saints in 09, refs blew 4 calls. we would of beat the Colts

97. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

We beat Kansas– I thought we lost — McNabb played that game.

98. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Arizona, Carolina, and Washington

99. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Easy to forget last season.

100. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

yeah, Webb won the washington game

101. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

he almost beat Detroit too, actually, blown call in that game too

102. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Well, you want to go almost– we had our opponents buried the first three or four games– and they all roared back in the second half.

103. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Sticking with McNabb was soooooooooooo costly. Let’s not do the same with Ponder– let him start against Seattle– but if at halftime, he is not getting it done– replace him.

104. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

If our QB plays poorly and Frazier does not make changes to give us a chance to win the game, I am outta here. For good.

105. By Melvin on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Well I guess ur not a true fan when times are hard u run away

106. By bobo on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

frazier has a losing record dump him now and get rid of that worthless offensive coach musgrave should stayed in oregon. also time for ponder to sit and think he has many weapons to throw to but use same ones alltime . sorry to say buit i thought we have a good year now after last night doubt it .jared allen only one that plays with intensity and harrison also

107. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small. But in this case, it is returning to the mud rather than staying a new course.

108. By David Plowman on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I disagree with everyone who beleives this is Ponder’s fault. Here are some things that continually happen every week regardless if the vikings win or lose.

1. The offense only has two play makers. That is why Mushie’s play list is only as big as a single sheet of TP.
    2. The coaches are ALWAYS outcoached. Detriot, Washington, Arizona and then the bucs. Can the vikings’ coaches think? By the looks of these games tyhe answer is NO.
    3. Defensive backs for the vikings cannot cover my grandmother( she has passed by the way god rest her soul) and now they have lost the best CB on the team. The next 6 games the vikings will go 0-6 unless they can find some coaches that will use their head and another play maker. BTW, these two scenarios are not going to happen. So 0-6 here we come.

Another thing. Frazier and the GM Spielman are going to get what they deserve for hiring clueless Musgrave. That is FIRED at the end of the season.

109. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Spielman just got promoted to GM last year, he wasn’t going to fire Frazier after one season where he wasn’t able to control things. Now after this season Spielman will make coaching changes. Andy Reid 2013!

110. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cook is likely headed to IR with a broken arm per Frazier

111. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Plowman, I agree– and part coaching is all about strategy to gain the W. Our D was on fire and our crowd was exploding– AP had just willed a TD. AND Allen just imposed himself on the Bucs– we suddenly had momentum– Tampa looked disoriented and they knew everything had shifted. We had a full quarter to go– and Ponder continued his ways— we had a chance– I blame the coaches. Putting in Webb may have confused Tampa and a score there — within 7 with 10 or 12 minutes to go may have carried us to a comeback. And Ponder could regroup and take a hard look at his preparation, play, etc. Ponder was a key part of this loss– a key– there is still the whole car, but without the key– We ain’t goin’ nowhere.

112. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Andy Reid?????????????????/ Are you off your rocker???????????

113. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Vikings could look to bringing in a CB for a workout this weekend

why not Bobby Felder??

114. By robb on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

To quote John Lennon,”the dream is over”.This was definitely a Joe Webb game what with the O line collapse.His mobility could have been a factor to win.Before the season Frazier promised to implement him more and they haven’t touched him.I’m not saying replace Ponder,but the coaches need to recognise.That was a tough Tampa team but the Vikings can still win a couple more ,I believe.

115. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Any other realistic coach we could get T flave? Reid is 19 steps up from Frazier and his bunch of clowns

116. By liito on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

1. Vikes have great players, but they can only have a ‘good’ team. However many years it may take Management to put together a “great” team, when it matters most, they lose.
    2. Whenever that time for the championship comes, the chances for the Vikes to be 0-5 in the Super Bowl is a sad possibility.

117. By Mike B on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Wow what a stack of whiners in here. The team did play well. It wasn’t Ponders fault or any individuals fault. This was a team loss. Both sides of the ball had moments of where they good, but mostly bad. You can’t throw the b@ll when you have a defender in your face. You have to stop the run all the time not just part of the time. You can’t give the other team good field advantage. Turnovers will kill a football team during the game. I still think we are one weapon shy of being a more complete team. I also think they need to work on the OL to find 5 guys that can work together in passing downs. Ponder is a class act and put the poor play on himself and no one else. He could have easily blamed coaching or the OLine. This is a young team and will get better. All fans need to understand that we don’t need to make changes, but learn to play better. Goo Vikings.

118. By Mike B on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

oops didn’t play well

119. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Mike B– we don’t need to make changes, but learn to play better? Huh? How do you learn to play better if you don’t make changes?

120. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Andy Reid as Vikings OC? hmmmm.

121. By Mike B on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Titus your right I meant personel changes.

122. By Mike B on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I will add an exception though something is wrong with the OL and that part of the game is critical. We may need to change personel on the OL.

123. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

At least we have our LT of the future.

124. By Mike B on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

GDP even Kalil got his but handed to him a couple of times during the p@ss situations last night.

125. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

“As Minnesota enters the second half of the season, the schedule toughens up considerably, with two divisional games apiece against the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers, as well as road dates with the Seattle Seahawks and Houston Texans. Ponder must improve his play for the Vikings to get back on track.

The good news for Minnesota: If Ponder does play well down the stretch, the Vikings have a quarterback to build around. But if he continues to play poorly, they might have to reconsider future options. Either way, the next eight games will define the Vikings. And by season’s end, we will know who they really are.”

Either way, the next eight games WILL define the Vikings.

126. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Josh Robinson failed to stop Mike Williams catch that TD. Harrison Smith wen for INTs when he should have looked to just break the pass up and force an incompletion.

We cant expect perfection from such a young team. Their youth is showing. But we we will only improve.

127. By Spencer on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

128. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

How many years are left on Musgrave’s contract?

129. By Melvin on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Vikings issue on def is the Tampa 2 def it’s need to go away and our future coach should be as I’ve said for yrs Jon gruden don’t ask how he hasn’t gone back to coaching

130. By Perimeter Pete on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Injuries in the NFL are expected and it opens the door for other guys to step up, but Cook’s injury is a tough break for both him and the Vikings (no pun intended). Not much has been released about it but anyone know if/when he could be expected back this season? He has really done a good job limitiing the impact of opponents’ number one threats, and here are the next 8 games:

SEA- Rice
    DET- Megatron
    CHI- Marshall
    GB- Jennings may be out still, but their receiving core is still extremely scary
    CHI- Marshall
    STL- expect Amendola to be back
    HOU- Johnson
    and finally GB again

Expect to see a lot more of A.J. Jefferson while Cook is out…thoughts on him? I know we traded for him because of his ability to play man.

131. By Perimeter Pete on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Sorry spence, I didn’t see your comment before I posted that. It sounds like he could possibly return for the last couple games (and the playoffs if all goes well).

132. By jayber on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey Jared, the only ‘better’ should be: You’d ‘better’ work on your fighting technique if you’re going to be such a big man ’cause fighting with your eyes closed makes you look even more like a DOOF!! Do you tackle the same way?

133. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

So far I have 48 points between Doug Martin, Percy Harvin, and Rudolph.

47 between Martin and Harvin.

134. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Reality has again, sunk in…

This is still a “rebuilding” team…We hoped for more after a solid start to the season…

But the youth and inexperience is now showing up in many areas…

Will there still be games the Vikings will surprise ???..Yes !!

Will there be consistency in their method of madness ???…No !!…unfortunately… : (

Can they beat good teams…Oh yeah…

But then may look just as bad against well below .500 teams…

All in all…Its still a rebuilding year…And another draft will make this team a force to be reckoned with…Just not quite this season…

So fans need to relax…And try to enjoy this roller coaster ride the Vikings will have the rest of this season…

It could be a wild one !!!… ; )

Ponder,Kalil,Smith,Robinson,etc…All need EXPERIENCE moving forward this season…So quit calling for heads on the chopping block…It will not happen anyway…

Cheer for your Vikings !!!…

GO VIKINGS !!!!….Your always going to be my team !!!

135. By Perimeter Pete on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

You ever been hit in the nose before? Hard to keep your eyes open immediately after it happens. Especially with no helmet on and hands in your face.

136. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

My view, is this…

All I wanted in reality this season…Was to contend with the teams within our division…

A division with 3 other teams that was SUPPOSED to feed on the Vikings…Like wolves on a helpless lamb…Well guess what ???…

THAT AIN”T HAPPENING !!!…NOT IN OUR HOUSE…OR IN THEIRS !!!…

We already took a game from the Lions…And I know the Packers and Bears will have their hands full trying handle the purple and gold !!!…

So as far as this fans concerned…Mission accomplished so far this season…5-3 and not done yet…NOT by a long shot…

GO VIKINGS !!!…

137. By someone on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

to everyone who think that this is all CP’s fault or bill musgrave or the coaching staff that lost the game it’s actually the whole entire team played horrible period.

138. By IMREDI on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

As long as Ponder remains quarterback, this team is going nowhere. Be lucky to finish 5-11. Trade Ponder for Tebow. At least he will give the team leadership and options from the pocket.

139. By Melvin on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Tebow ur jokin he sucks if he was any1 else he would not be in the league

140. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

HA HA HA HA HA– Melvin that makes no sense! HA HA HA HA HA!!!

141. By Titus the One on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

HA HA HA HA– I am on the floor rolling !!!!!!!!

142. By Sharon on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I am here to say that the Vikings team NEVER disappoints me because I keep my expectations in check with this YOUNG team! For those of you that keep saying that Christian Ponder is horrible I say Get Off His Back! This is only his second season and his first season was a nightmare! No preseason, no ETA’s he was thrown to the wolves and, predictably, had a horrendus 1st year. His confidence needs boosting. Christian, here is my humble 2 cents. Do your best and most of all go out and have FUN playing the game you love, learn from your coaches and mentors and the rest will follow.

Signed
    Waiting patiently :-}

143. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Here’s the thing about first round QBs…. they are expected to perform. CPs biggest problem is that he ISNT learning. He’s making the same, and worse, mistakes that he was making his first game last year. For a guy who is supposed to be so smart, he makes really dumb decisions. If we had Webb starting, then you would say give him time to learn since he was only a 6th round pick. That’s what you got with Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers (yes I know AR was first round, but much later than CP) when they had to sit a few years.

144. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

145. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Nice post Sharon…

What I get a kick out of…Is fans judging Christians talents playing a certain game…To what J Webb “might have done” if he would have played in that game situation…huh ???…

Ponder is in there taking hits and sacks…Doing his best…Not having much time to throw…Receivers not getting open…

While some fans are “imagining” how a play might be more successful, with a guy standing on the sidelines, holding a clip board for a living ???…

How do people get in all sorts of problems in life…”Imagining” the grass is always greener, on the other side of the fence…

When 9 times out of 10…It never comes close to reality…When that path is selected…

Titus…More than anybody should know…

“Rome wasn’t built in a day”…

Neither will this very young and talented team…

146. By melvin on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

to what sharon said yes its his second season but when u have players like dalton luck rg3 even russel wilson ponder should be better then where he is. I never see ponder audible at the line second in the beginning of the season he was goin thru his progressions lately he is starin down his receivers and its not all his fault our tackle positions are doing pretty good but our interior line its like there is never a pocket for him to step up and also as i posted b4 the recievers are only running screens (harvin) or streaks (simpson) and to titus the one yes tebow sucks if he wasnt tim tebow he wouldnt have been drafted first rnd or even still be in the nfl he doesnt thrown good enough to be a qb not fast enough to be a rb at best hes a fullback

147. By someone on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I love CP but I’m starting to doubt his ability to throw the ball he may have the smarts but doesn’t have the ability to deliver deep throw accurately and it’s because he doesn’t have the arm strength. He also needs to learn how to read coverage before the snap that way he can call for better protection. Last nights game the d-fence blitz 90% of the time but with a good pre-snap read it would help him call for some extra protection and audible the receiver for quick throws. He is still young but I prey and HOPE that the coach and CP can work on this fast because with tough d-fence coming up this team is going to be in trouble and you can’t always rely on the D and special team to help score points for ya they can only do so much and for so long.

148. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Glad there are other sane people on here. Yes there are many things a QB can do like change the protection, or how about audible to a quick slant if a blitz is coming? What about calling hot routes to receivers? It’s not all his fault, but he really isn’t progressing…

149. By Perimeter Pete on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Well said OT, Sharon on realistic expectations. Every fan wants to see their team win, and the players are giving it everything they’ve got to make that happen–their desire to win is greater than any fan’s, and their careers are on the line.

It is unrealistic, however, to expect such a young team to not have games like they had last night. The cries for major change are getting a little annoying.
    They are 5-3 at this point by doing what they’ve been doing. Sure 6-2, 7-1, 8-0 would be even better, but don’t forget they’ve exceeded preseason expectations up to this point.

Give these young guys a break. There will be ups and downs with such a young team. Think this isn’t happening with other young teams? You’re wrong (ex: the colts win in dramatic fashion over the packers one week, only to get absolutely demolished by the Jets the next). They will learn, adjust, and they will improve, but it won’t happen overnight. It’s a process, and I feel like too many people don’t get that.

Parkway, got off to a good start but you lost me about halfway through there. I think you meant Ponder should learn from the sidelines for a couple years, but you’re also saying we should put Webb in and excuse his mistakes because he was a 6th pick, but not Ponder’s because he was a 1st rounder?

150. By liito on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Vike’s Management . . . Don’t be proud. Get help. Would it be fair for fans to think that you need help at the cornerback position and why not get a genuine deep threat wide receiver? Why wait for the draft?

151. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

No Pete, if Webb was our starter right now and he was struggling, then MAYBE all of you who keep saying “give him time he’s learning” would have a point. But the reason you take a QB #12 overall is because you think he has the talent to be a starter day 1. Well it’s now year 2 and he hasn’t made any progress. So that is a problem.

152. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Hard work…Dedication…Perciverence…Working extra hard in the weight room, to add muscle mass to his body…

When reading that above statement…Who’s name came to mind that plays for the Vikings ???…

That’s right…Christian Ponder…

And the young QB has a few bad games…And fans are ready to throw him under the bus ???…

I just don’t get that… : /

153. By missed the boat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

the vikings should be good to go by the time the new stadium is built. lets wait a few more years people

154. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Parkway…

How is Cam Newton doing this season…

Newton was the first overall pick that year…

2 weeks ago…Steve Smith was over chewing Newton out for pouting on the sidelines, after being taken out for poor play during a game…The overall number one pick !!!…

Is Ponder ever been caught pouting ???…

But I know…Cam is still a better QB…Just because ??…For some unknown reason or another…

155. By hippster on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

did anyone expect this team to be 12 and 4? 6and 10 maybe 8and 8 i dought it

156. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Everyone has been all over Newton’s case too. So I’m not sure what your point is? He is expected to perform, just like Ponder. And they aren’t. So they are hearing about it and being questioned.

157. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

*is=has

158. By Perimeter Pete on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

How is blaine gabbert doing? Sure Newton had a stellar rookie campaign, but he is really struggling this year. Dalton has been steady but even he has had a bad game here and there. Locker has impressed at times but struggled as well at times before being injured. To say Ponder hasn’t progressed at all is false. I don’t get it. Is Ponder any different than these other guys? or should all of these QB’s be benched for their backups?

159. By Rudso on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I’m more surprised on how fast some Viking “fans” turn on their team than the loss to Tampa. This is the NFL, any team can win any given day. Everyone is acting like just because we lost to Tampa and the Redskins we will automatically loss the last remaining games.

The Vikings beat the 49ers and that wasn’t a fluke. We have a team capable of playing with the best and winning and that’s the important part. Now it’s just a matter of staying consistent and continue growing, our foundation is strong.

Christian Ponder has been showing us flashes of possible greatness. He started good this season and played great against the 49ers. Now teams have some real tape on him and they have adjuster their defense, now Ponder needs to continue to grow and adjust him self. I have full confidence in Ponder because he showed us he can play and at a high level.

You can’t praise him after having a good game and call for Webb when he has a bad one and forget that it only his 2nd year. The Tampa game was on our O-line who constantly let free runners pass on by. I believe Ponder threw a beautiful TD pass to Percy and that was one of the few clean pockets he got.

Not to mention our WRs couldn’t get much separation. We greatly improved our O-line but a good Guard is still needed, we tried to improve our WR core with Simpson and rookies Childs and Wright but it’s fair to say it hasn’t gone as planned for either of these WRs yet.

The Vikings are a good team and I don’t care what anyone else says. We have a lot of SPECIAL talent that other teams don’t have but this team is still very YOUNG, specially on offense. Don’t expect to see real dividends for another season or two, but until than we will ride the flashes and hope the Defense steps up if the Offense is struggling and vis-versa.

We reloaded very well this off season. Be fair to our young players who are learning a system that is fairly new to our veterans. I do question our play calling sometimes but I don’t know what the coaches know so I’ll let them do their job and hope for the best. Skol Vikings! Proud of our Purple People.

160. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Gabbert was picked before Ponder also…

Was Gabbert lighting the NFL on fire before he was hurt this season ???…He was at least better, than last season…

Any or all of these QB’s including Ponder, have a very good chance to become stars…

Experience…Is the key…Along with patience…

161. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Okay so since Gabbert got better this year but Ponder hasn’t improved that means that Ponder is better? Great logic. And since other QBs from Ponders class are still bad that means Ponder can be bad. Awesome let’s keep going…

162. By Perimeter Pete on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Look up the stats: QB rating (W-L)

12) Jake Locker 90.2 (1-3)
    13) Andy Dalton- 87.7 (3-4)
    17) Christian Ponder 85.8 (5-3) 2011: 70.1 (2-9)
    23) Cam Newton (1-5)
    28) Blaine Gabbert (1-5)

Notable QB’s rated lower than Ponder…Rivers, Romo, Flacco, Stafford, Cutler

Let me remind you that the Vikings WR core is very mediocre outside of Harvin. According to the stats Ponder seems to be doing fine–right in the middle of the pack, and he is the only one of those guys with a winning record so far this year. I don’t know how you have convinced yourself that he hasn’t improved. Saying he should be better by because he was a 1st round pick is the worst argument I have ever heard. If you expect him to be a top ten QB 19 games into his career you’re crazy.

163. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Maybe you didn’t see “Mr glass” A Rodgers…When he first got some chances to play…That guy left the game after being touched from a defensive player when he first came into the league, let alone being tackled…

Brett Favre was a joke his first year…First completion was to himself…

Eli Manning…Terrible first few seasons..Who thought this guy would be a QB…Just because his brother was…WELL…He sure can spin the football now…And is no longer standing in big bothers shadow…

AND the list goes on, and on….

164. By Rudso on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Just a side note, my good friend who is a Packer fan sure makes it fun when the Packers play the Vikings because we get to have fun with our trash talk but yesterday was the first full game he saw of Ponder playing this season…

He him self saw a lot of good things in Ponder to say he reminded him of a younger Payton. He was really impressed with Ponders footwork and throwing ability. He has a good foundation. He might not have the strongest arm in the league but you can’t deny Ponder throws a beautiful ball with good accuracy, keeping in mind it’s his 2nd year.

165. By Perimeter Pete on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

“And since other QBs from Ponders class are still bad that means Ponder can be bad.”

That is not at all what I am trying to say. I think the point is that it is not easy to be a young QB in the NFL. Some struggles from time to time are normal. But his numbers and play have been nowhere near bad enough to warrant benching him.

Joe Webb’s career QB rating:

2010: 60.9 in 5 games
    2011: 74.6 in 11 games

I am not trying to knock on Webb. But how is he better than Ponder? Would you say that you would warrant bad play from Webb because he is not Ponder?

166. By Parkway on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

QB rating is a really terrible measurement of a QBs performance. QBR maybe

167. By Perimeter Pete on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

okay. not much difference

18) Ponder 53.3

only behind locker (10) from his class. ahead of cutler, dalton, freeman, bradford, newton, rivers, sanchez to name a few. lots of first round picks there including a few #1 picks. why aren’t they better? oh, like i said, maybe it’s not that easy to be a QB in the NFL. Give the kid a break. i doubt you were saying, “we want webb!” weeks 1-5. and if you’re complaining when he learns to play more constistent and stringst together some games like he had against SF then you’re just a hater

168. By someone on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

quite comparing CP to the other QB’s CP hasn’t won any of these games for us he was riding on the special team and defense to win these five games if you go back and take away the defense and special team points those game would of been lost. those other QB’s at least performed to lose and win. this team doesn’t need any more weapons we already have the weapon you can give CP Aundre or Larry Fitz and still can’t deliver the ball down the field to them he has been horrible throwing deep.

169. By Rudso on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I wonder what will people say when Webb goes in, starts to scramble in the face of pressure and starts throwing interceptions or backpedals and gets sacked for 20 yards deep.

Are all the Webb fans going to switch to Ponder or are they going to ask for Webb to get some experience and time to learn?

I’m serious, someone who thinks Webb should start vs. Seahawks next week over Ponder please answer my question:

When Webb struggles and he will, every one does, what will you say or what will you ask for?

170. By someone on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

CP needs to learn how to stick the ball in certain spot and let his receiver do the rest, if you look at Payton, Brady, Brees they throw into coverage all the time but they know where to put it and let there receiver do the rest sometimes just need to know who your receiver is going up against if its someone like Derelle Revis maybe not but someone who can chase receiver but doesn’t have the ball skills examples the reception that Vincent Jackson caught last night in double coverage and Harrison smith miss the opportunity to make an interception but took a wrong angle and missed.

171. By Majones og Tomat on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Yea pete shut up you don’t know what your talkin about

172. By liito on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

We’ve heard from Leslie, Jared, Adrian, etc…. Now let us hear from the wide receivers’ coach, then Mr. Spielman.

173. By John R. on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

PLEASE!…, Play Joe Webb, and throw to your tight ends.

174. By someone on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

And NOOOOO Joe Webb is not going to perform any better than CP probably on the running part but throwing wise I think not. Joe Webb has the arm strength but horrible accuracy unable to read coverage don’t get me wrong he is a great athlete but not the same as RG3, Cam or Vick maybe more like Oaklands bust QB Russel something what ever his name was.

175. By Sharon on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I keep reading that Ponder has not improved and I say please take off your blinders! He has made huge strides this season over last season!! I see him throw deep and the ball not being caught, I see him get rid of the ball in an intelligent way (Last nights game!) and I see that he IS learning from mistakes. People, look at Drew Brees and Payton Manning’s starting careers! Fan’s were screaming for blood! I see a Great Quarterback in the making when I watch Christian Ponder, sit back and enjoy the show people and stop worrying about going to the Super Bowl this year! I will be very happy if we end the season 8-8 or better. This is a growing year for the entire team and they need to learn how to mesh together as a team!

Still waiting patiently

176. By someone on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

This team also needs to play like their coming from behind in every opening drive and let CP do the 2 minute offense every series. The last couple of game I hate when they wait until 5 or 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter then realize that they need to score fast and do better job hustling back to the line. Last night during the last 4 minutes of the game they went to the hurry up offense but took too much time off the clock. the players were still moving around wondering what the play is and what it was and Ponder was still trying to call play this needs to be corrected and the offense needs to work more on chemistry. The chemistry is just not there.

177. By someone on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I don’t care If the vikings goes to the superbowl or playoffs or have 8-8 record I just want to see Christian Ponder improving on these errors that I have been commenting on and I don’t care if we lose every game of this season I just want to see Christian Ponder make throws like Brett Favre in that 09 game to Greg Lewis against 49rs re. What I mean is put the ball in spots like that and let your receiver go and make a play Greg Lewis wasn’t even an average receiver but he caught it because how Favre put the ball.

178. By someone on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I don’t care If the vikings goes to the superbowl or playoffs or have 8-8 record I just want to see Christian Ponder improving on these errors that I have been commenting on and I don’t care if we lose every game of this season I just want to see Christian Ponder make throws like Brett Favre in that 09 game to Greg Lewis against 49rs right before regulation. What I mean is put the ball in spots like that and let your receiver go and make a play Greg Lewis wasn’t even an average receiver but he caught it because how Favre put the ball. I would like to see Christian Ponder improving on throws like that. Those throws deep down the field had too much hang time also would like to see him put a little more ump into it. Christian may have good stats for short pass but when opposing D knows you can’t throw deep thay take away your short route then you have nowhere to go. Sure he has improve from last year making better decision but just not reading coverage or presnap reads. I will continue to have hopes for CP but not too much of hope as I don’t want to be too disappointed by the end of the season or next year.

179. By RichardA1 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Ponders got me wondering, he was sharp at every aspect of the game the first few games, now it seems he gets worse every game! game gets going and he gets worse,,,,,,,,,,,,.

180. By Vlad19 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I still read far too much forgiveness for Ponder…. we had 9 pts instead of 21 vs Skins early and THAT was the swinging barn door. PONDER is the engine and should learn to SCORE when you get the chances. He proved his inadequacies there if you never needed to see anything else…

And LUCKY his defense won him a game on Sunday when he “tore it up” with all of 58 yds and 2 Ints…

Then last night, YES the line was lost, but what all of ya’ll are failing to note, we were in a 2-3 score deficit almost immediately, and that was because 4 of first 6 series Ponder went 3 and out! Can’t score if you don’t possess the football!

Further, he threw for pittance of yards considering we were in a comeback, throw or die scenario — Peterson only 15 carries, Ponder 36 or 37 attempts??? We were forced to pass and it was the slamming door – he was laughable, and the D line came with purpose. Argue the short field the fumbles gave TB all you want, NOT doing anything with his offense was POnder’s doing. That is the LEADER’S job. The moment the momentum shifted DRAMATICALLY after Peterson’s long TD, the D turns the ball back in three plays and what did Ponder do with it???? Precisely, he played like Ponder with TB on their heels.

Lastly, look at time of possession, that was not just D that couldn’t stop TB, it was our offense that could not sustain a drive for CARP. And all this talk about guys not getting open… it is the NFL, half a step is OPEN and Ponder doesn’t have the arm or nads to get it in there… and then you have him unable to throw a 5 yd swing pass…. OR NOT seeing WIDE open Rudolph on full blitz, so he backpedals into a 10 yd sack… GREAT, we are 5-3, hurrah! We are young.. GREAT… but we will remain sluggish as long as we have a “manager” who relies upon LUCK of dropped interceptions instead of a GOOD quarterback.

181. By Sharon on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Forgiveness?!! There is NOTHING to forgive! This is a TEAM effort and the mistakes I saw last night were by an ENTIRE team. I also saw a lot of good things!! Even though we lost, I saw an improvement last night vs Sundays game from Ponder. As far as comparing him to Brett Farve from the ’09 session, I will gladly make that comparison in 16 years! WOW! Brett had been in the league 18 years and won a Super Bowl in ’09, it is grossly unfair to compare him to Farve! Do I want him to play like Farve? No, I want better and I believe with patience it will happen. (I don’t want as many interceptions!) Quit bashing the poor guy and enjoy watching his development, it is really way to early to be calling for his replacement.

182. By puckertrucker on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

To the Management of the Vikings: It is time to get rid of your lousy head coach Stupid L. Frazier and to put Creepy C. Ponder either on the bench or on waivers he is a lousy QB and will only drag this team to the depths of Dispare there was a second QB named Joe Webb Why didn’t your crummy coach put him in. I’ve been a fan of The Vikings since 1961 but your team has sunk to new low depths with Frazier as Head Coach Get Rid of him or lose another 1000 fans or so Mr. Wilf you have the money get rid of Frazier, he is a dip Sh…It coach and does not belong in the NFL. The One and Only Pucker Trucker!!!!!!!!Skol Fans

183. By sandiamond on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

draft countdown just released the projected vikings first round pick

184. By vegasvike on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I didn’t read all the blogs but I am under the impression everyone thinks CP7 is to blame. I’m sure he’s part part of the problem but to look deeper I think it’s more the predictable play calling from Mr. Musgrave. CP7 does not call the plays and now the opposing teams have plenty of tape on our play calling. I’d start at the top…

185. By Vlad19 on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

However, throwing 5 yd swing pass into the ground, missing Harvin a couple times, throwing same pass to Peterson with NO screen set up, just a LB and corner to come and close him out (good choice Christian?), NOT being able to pick up hot read on FULL blitz, not seeing Rudolph all alone in the middle and instead he backpedals into a 10 yd sack…. Ponder commits to a throw before the play develops… that throw on fade to Simpson where Simpson rightly read the fake press and release and pulls up, Ponder throws to the defender – but lucky us he threw it out of bounds — like the great catch Simpson made, 2 yds out of bounds because Ponder can’t seem to tell the green from the white of the sidelines… And let’s not forget that brilliant choice near end of 2nd quarter, where he has underneath TE all alone but Ponder tries to force it into deeper ball to Jenkins or someone and almost gets picked… in scoring position for TB. Dodged another bullet! He doesn’t miss many of those bullets – or should I say they don’t miss him.

Fans wish to roast a guy or praise a guy. In this instance, Ponder has done nothing to warrant great praise. Being average at best suggests a mistake was made in the draft, not the coaching of this kid.

Listen, when the head coach says in his pressers: “When you don’t have the game to get the downfield success, you must be able to play defense and do all the other things right…. so that’s what we have to do to be successful…” Paraphrased from a couple pressers) doesn’t that tell you what you need to know about their confidence in his ability? Also explains the gameplan made, most call “boring” or just bad…. but it is created for Ponder, the guy who can hardly throw ball downfield.

186. By RAleander on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

WHAT I DID UNDERSTAND WAS BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN STARTED COACH FRAZIER GAVE PONDER THE JOB.WHY NOT MAKE HIM EARN IT. I WONDER HOW LONG FRAZIER WILL STICK WITH MUSGRAVE AND PONDER.IF ITS NOT WORKING PLEASE MAKE THE APPROPRIATE CHANGES AND GIVE YOUR TEAM A CHANCE FOR SUCCESS.

187. By BlueBird7 on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

VLad19

I am thinking along the same lines.

Dido, RAleander.

188. By Vlad19 on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

BlueBird, you and I and many here can see it because you simply need eyes and throw away the heart. I want Ponder to be successful, I DO. I want him to be the next joe Montana, absolutely I do. But I speak on what I see is all. It is obvious, Ponder’s read skills are terrible.

I had commented a few times early on, when everyone was saying what a difference Simpson was going to make when he joined the team because of the athlete he is… and yes, he SHOULD be making an impact because he IS that kind of talent — but what is the common link between Simpson NOT getting catches and looking quite average and the other receivers looking quite average to BAD? WHO is the guy throwing the ball?

The ONLY successful receiver we can point to is Harvin… WHY? Because the gameplan from slot and H-back spot is completely different from wideout, and about 75% of Harvin’s yards of success are HIS – made YAC, and he probably leads the league in YAC (yards after catch). Of Ponder’s 250-260 yds the other night, in a must-throw game, he enjoyed probably 60-70 yards of that were YAC. Virtually ALL of his downfield throws were incomplete. Point to one good one! Even Harvin’s TD was thrown over inside when he was out to pylon. Now that might be splitting hairs, I agree, but the point, I can point to an easy 6-7 carp throws downfield, a couple when the receiver wasn’t even there…. cause Ponder wanted to throw it there before the play developed. This kind of QB cannot be successful in the NFL.

But I HOPE he will be because Frazier has committed to him. But being satisfied because we are 5-3 and young as the elixir to fix our outcry for improvement is the work of loving fans, I agree, not necessarily contemplative or scrutinizing fans. And if Ponder can turn his habits and game around, maybe he can play in NFL. I just don’t think so from what he has displayed, and his arm is average Div 1, NOT NFL caliber…. how does more time fix that?

189. By OLD SCHOOL on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

Look, enough about going down field and Ponder not going to be this down the field type QB.

This kid was drafted to be a game manager…AND THAT IS IT! L. Frazier is a Defensive Coach from the Defensive Side of the ball! He wants and always will be a coach that wants his QB to throw the 15 yard, 8 yard, 6 yards pass….Bubble Pass! He wants to win the game 17-13! We have no need and it will be a complete waste of time and money to go out and get a Megatron type wide-out because he will not use them! He wants a Trent Dilfer, I.E., Ravens where the QB just manages the game and the defense wins it for you!

Anyone who believes differently is CRAZY! CP will need to tighten up on some things but he will be fine in the future doing what he was drafted to do……AND THAT IS TO MANAGE THE GAME AND BALL CONTROL!

190. By OLD SCHOOL on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

If, during the 2011 draft, we had an offensive type coach that wanted to spread the Offense and go down field and have that HIGH SCORING / HIGH FLYING TYPE OFFENSE………

NO WAY IS CP DRAFTED IN THE FIRST ROUND BY THE VIKES…….THEY TRADE UP IN THIS YEARS DRAFT AND TAKE RG3!

191. By OLD SCHOOL on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

And of course the other obvious problem is that our Defense is no where near being that Ravens in their hay-day type….game winning defense…..YET!

192. By Melvin on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

R u kidding game manager when was the last time a manager won a Super Bowl this is a pass happy league ask Sanchez and Alex smith how it feels to manage games

193. By Bigfan1 on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

We tend to be emotional after a whipping and I do it usually also, but when the dust settles where are we, 5-3, won two more games than all of last year and the season is half over, we still have many chances to kick butt and win games, especially in our own division. Football is weird, a few players can have breakout games but the team loses, the juju has to be with the team instead of a few. It is amazing though that the Vikings are getting a state of the art facility and they’ve never won the big one.

194. By missed the boat on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

i always wondered why they won that Washington game last year, they could of thrown that game and would of got the 2nd pick. Washington is set for 15 years with rg3. we are set to lose for 15 years with Ponder

195. By OLD SCHOOL on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

I wasn’t saying that I agree with drafting a “Game Manager” ….”Ponder” but that is what and why they did!

That is what Frazier wanted…..manage the game and play run, run, run…..D…D…D….D!

Your right Melvin, I don’t believe that this league is built that way right now! You better be able to grip and rip!

196. By missed the boat on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

why do the vikings always have problems with finding a qb? fran T. was just average, he had the benefit with a number 1 defense in the league though. Kramer had one really good year, Daunte Culpepper was a little above average for a few years, yet not a top 5 qb. that’s it for a 51 year old history

197. By missed the boat on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

forgot Farve, he had a good year also

198. By OLD SCHOOL on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

I like Ponder……I just don’t think he will ever win a game for you…he might get where he doesn’t lose a game for you……but not bring you back and throw a spear through the heart of the other team like Drew B. or Manning (either one) or Rodgers!

They better keep building that D to be the best in the league in 2 years or so!

199. By missed the boat on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

Frazier thinks he can build a defense like the 85 Bears. never happen

200. By missed the boat on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

ground and pound haven’t won a superbowl since the year 2001, with a number 1 defense like old school pointed out

201. By Melvin on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

Exactly the had Jamal Lewis and priest Holmes all we have is ap Toby gerhart is a bust or were jus not using him right musgrave!!!!!!! John gruden come help us and to be honest what was the last good coach we’ve had?

202. By Vlad19 on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

Old school, you make pretty good points and I could generally agree, EXCEPT, you don’t take a “game manager” as a first or second rounder – you pick them up on free agent rummage sales, Ty Detmer types rove the league for years… Ponder was taken with much more expectation than we are seeing. Remember Donvan McNabb was picked up to lead and mentor, and he is FAR from a game manager, so that was NOT Frazier’s gameplan, it was his default due to the player he had.

It is consolation ONLY that Frazier says, “We don;t have the type of offense that can stretch a field, so we better do all the other things right…” There is NO WAY you draft a Ponder (aka Dilfer as you suggest) intentionally as a first rounder. Your logic dies on the premise…. even Dilfer was not expected to BE a Dilfer. He was LUCKY to play on that Ravens team. Ponder needs to create more offense as THAT is what he was expected to bring here.

In other words, there are LOTS of bad QBs picked in first rounds and upper rounds. But you don’t waste high picks on managers. Just doesn’t happen.

203. By Blacklabel1080 on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

Are other vikings fans always this gross and disappointing? What if you were a chiefs fan, or a cowboys fan. We are young, we have hope. 5-3 and the fans are going crazy jumping on the fire everyone bandwagon. Maybe Vikings are looked down upon in this league because reading 5 comments at a time is enough to make you laugh at the fan base. Shame on you

204. By john on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

mr f/mr r dont want to put ponder on the bench,they dont want to show mr w,they made a mistake on ponder that high in the draft, and get rid of the oc or job will be on the line frazier,

205. By Vlad19 on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

Blacklabel making the most important comment on the football blog. Did you know this was a football blog, where people TALK about football, critical or otherwise? You might try posting about football, it’s fun. Commenting intelligently because you have higher hopes for your home team is a common practice. Some not so intelligent, but it is free world… so I should feel shame for talking football on a football blog now….

Thanks for your erudite contribution.

And keep on watching, I predict we will continue to mire in the bog with Ponder and we will be needing growth that is not likely to come. By the way, this is not a bandwagon, it is an opinion based upon watching Ponder swim in his fugue. He keeps proving I am right. And wanting to be BETTER is a singular goal to ALL competitors. Even Vikings and Viking fans.

206. By liito on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

Let’s hear it from the wide receivers’ coach, quarterbacks’ coach, then Mr. Spielman. That would be huge.

207. By webb-lmao on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

DO NOT BENCH PONDER IN PUT IN JOE WEBB! NEVER! What we should do is put Webb out as a WR since we are too dumb or chaep to go get one

208. By Old School on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

I agree with you Vlad19, he was taken too soon! I think the Vikes jumped the gun on that draft when other teams started to trade up for QB’s and they freaked! The problem was that they had Ponder to high on their draft board! QB’s taken in the first round should be nothing less than “GAME CHANGERS”!

Agree?

209. By Melvin on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

100 % agree

210. By Old School on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

RG3….GAME CHANGER!

LUCK…..GOING TO BE…IF NOT ALREADY!

LOCKER…….BUST!

GABBERT….BUST!

PONDER….BUST!

All 3 are going to be back-ups in 3 years!

211. By Kathy P on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

Amen..

212. By Kathy P on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

I still maintain that our OL is not a functional line anymore the way it currently is. Tampa Bay was the first team to actually give them a huge amt. of blitzes and they couldnt pick them up. Sullivan is no “rookie” and he should be able to assist with this and he didnt do the job. If we arent using Gerhardt as a RB, put him in to help protect the QB if possible. Other teams are seeing this, and you can bet that they will be running blitz after blitz against us in the upcoming 8 games.

Our four-line Defense is not going the cut it when playing teams like Chicago,GB,Houston. Why havent we been able to Blitz the line more anyway?
    Yes, we are a young team which is growing. The problem is these young players need some guidance and leadership and I dont see that happening with the current staff as it is right now.

213. By demodan67 on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

Some of you people just need to back off. This is a very very young team and to be sitting at 5-3 halfway through the season when most had them competing for the top pick of the draft next season is very good all things considered, Yes they are coming off probably the worst game of the season as a team but they have already exceeded what most thought they would do this season. Best part is that as young as they are they will only get better, As for Ponder he has looked as good as can be expected for a guy that barely has 1 full season of starts under his belt, He is also working behind an o-line that is new this season. You have 2 new starters and another guy that has switched from LT to LG. O-lines take time to come together. I blame Musgrave for most of the offensive struggles and not so much any one player. Ponder can only work with what he has on the field and the plays that are sent in to him. When you have games like the Vikes did with the bucs where they are killing Ponder on every play Musgrave has to come up with a way to give Ponder the time he needs in the pocket or give Ponder plays that roll him out or get the ball out real quick such as the quick slants and plays of the type. You can blame Ponder all you want but when the ball and the defender get to him about the same time what chance does he have? On the defensive side of the ball its great when you can get pressure with just your front 4 but when you cant like in the bucs game the COACH has to come up with a way to generate some pass rush whether it be blitzing or running stunts or whatever it takes. Lets not forget they have a new DC this season also. They have the Seahawks and the Lions coming up before they bye and they are both very winnable games. They could still easily be 7-3 going into the bye.

214. By back off on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

Back off my ass. This team is not going anywhere. They will NOT be 7-3. They will not make the playoffs! Allen is over rated

215. By Vlad19 on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

This nonsensical support of Ponder is exhausting. To all those supporters looking to blame others for Ponder’s lacking, a quarterback need to pick up the blitz and react and throw to the open “hot route”… one of Ponder’s GREATEST weaknesses. He holds the ball and doesn’t even KNOW there is a blitz half the time. O line can only “pick-up” so many bodies, but blitzes are what great QBs want to see – that is fact. They know how to exploit these schemes, Ponder lives in panic, he throws to guys he wants while sitting over center, never mind the coverages…

Musgrave gameplans to the caliber of his QB… Boring? Yes. Lacking impact and downfield threats? Yeppers.

Look at the offensive weapons Ponder has – Peterson (what happened to that theory of great running games open up the passing game??? Doesn’t exist in Minnesota for a singular reason – the guy throwing the ball). Harvin, Rudolph, Simpson, Ponder HAS weapons, he just can’t throw effectively. The BORING is on Ponder because the gameplan is designed for HIM.

216. By Melvin on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

U have to be jokin every analyst is sayin ponder has a 20 yd box he can’t go deep and the def we will playin in the 2nd half of the season gets even better then the first half yes a lot is play callin but guess what if u notice other teams have figured our passing game out and honestly ponder has no arm and no accuracy deep that’s y musgrave is limited with play calling if u seen ponder at Florida st u would understand

217. By Vlad19 on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

And if you are satisfied fan/competitor that 5-3 is satisfactory because we sukked last year and your reasoning is we are young, then great, call it a day and enjoy your mediocrity of a football team. But this game, this competition is as immediate as ANY as it is a 16 game schedule. Being GOOD is what it is ALWAYS about, no matter the youth or the lack of qualifications of critical position players…

Those players MUST get better (Ponder’s OWN words) or they must move aside. It is the nature of the game.

By the way Old school, I fully agree with your last couple posts about “gamechangers” as the goal of 1-2dn round picks – in fact it is relative through the draft, but yes, wanting a guy who instantly makes you better is the goal of every GM in his 1st round and 2nd rounds picks. That Ponder turned into Ponder is no different than Dilfer having turned into Dilfer…. and maybe Ryan Leaf…. Survival of the fittest!

218. By Vlad19 on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think you read my post Melvin – NOT supporting Ponder. I KNOW he hasn’t the arm or the capacity at this level. Gameplanning around Ponder’s capability is what we are seeing, so BORING is due to Ponder, not so much Musgrave.

What is Musgrave gonna do, gameplan for Tom Brady skills? 5-6 picks a game would be our result.

Not sure what your post was about melvin, cuz it was consistent with what I have been saying, and you act like you were contesting my points.

219. By Melvin on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

I was basically agreeing musgrave can’t gameplan deep plays cause of ponder inabilities

220. By Melvin on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

And tired of this young bs when what we have 4 on def and 4 on off that’s no excuse there are younger teams in the league and they can actually score on off i.e browns Seahawks so plz stop they young nonsense ppl happy we 5-3 when honestly we should be 8-0 we lost to 2 rookies and a team who haven’t won a road game in almost 2 yrs

221. By Vlad19 on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

OK, understood and fully agreed. It is the subjectivity of fans – some like Ponder because of his haircut, I don’t know. But anyone who would suggest ponder has been anything other than average on his best day, they are deceiving only themselves because the rest of us have eyes.

HE is not why we have won 5, the D won games for him. And he is lucky the opponents have regurgitated 7 other interceptions in his “hot streak” to start the season… Ponder would be on the bottom of the heap and Vikes would be 3-5, and the tone of conversation by fans and press would be far less patient than even now — and there is little of it now as it is.

222. By liito on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

1. How long do you think will Christian Ponder progress to the type of quarterback that the Vikings’ coaches and management want him to be?
    2. Is the team making effort for a playoff run or vie for a top 5 position in the next year’s NFL draft?
    3. Since the team is rebuilding, why not give the other player’s a chance to show what they got?
    4. Why not design one play per game for Joe Webb as wide receiver?
    5. What is a bigger concern, Ponder’s lack of long ball accuracy or Wright’s inability to get open?

223. By Chris on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

Viking always play best when they play with their hearts, not just minds. Defense needs to be more rabid and go after the ball more. Looked like they were trying to catch the greased up pig to me.

Offense needs to be more ambitious. The fans boo’d when they knee’d before the half and rightfully so. It might have kept the Vikes in pace if they managed to score. Be less conservative, protect Ponder more and try to throw forward more often. It only gets tougher from here for us.

224. By BlueBird7 on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

Watch the Seahawks when the Vikings come to town.

They lost today, and will be Hungry!

225. By viking181164 on Oct 28, 2012 | Reply

sign musgrave to a multi year deal…love that bubble screen

226. By Old School on Oct 29, 2012 | Reply

Does BS stand for Bubble Screen?

LOL!

I think a Bubble Screen used more than once or twice in a game is because you have a Good….NOT GREAT…..college QB running the Offense!

Look at it as Ponder’s escape hatch!