Frazier Says Vikings Must Match Buccaneers Intensity

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 24, 2012 – 8:21 am

The Vikings are 5-2, have won three of their last four contests, are coming off a victory over Arizona last Sunday, and are playing at home (where they are 4-0 this season) in prime time for the first time since 2009. Their opponent is two games under .500, has lost four of its last five games and is traveling on a short week.

Throw in the fact that home teams are winning at a 63.6% clip in Thursday night games since 2006 and have won five of six contests in 2012, and it’s clear Mr. Momentum is on the Vikings side.

But Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier is not letting his team fall into that trap.

“They’re in so many games, every week battling right to the very end,” Frazier said of his team’s opponent this week, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. “I think Greg Schiano and his staff, they have those guys fighting, and they seem to be prepared every week. They play with a lot of energy across the board, on special teams, offense and defense, and that’s been very impressive to see. We’ll have to really rise up and match their intensity on Thursday night.”

Frazier makes a good point. The Buccaneers may be 2-4, but the two wins came in impressive fashion and the four losses were all tight ball games. Tampa Bay collected a division win to open the season – defeating Carolina 16-10 at home – and then they steamrolled the Kansas City Chiefs at home in Week 6 by a count of 38-10. Their four losses have come by an average of just 5.5 points and none of the losses have been by more than 7 points. Last week’s loss came down to the final play, with QB Josh Freeman throwing into the end zone.

Speaking of Freeman, he’s on fire the past two games. The fourth-year passer has 748 passing yards and a 6-1 TD-INT ratio the past two games. Defensively, the Buccaneers rank 3rd in rushing yards allowed per game (76.0) and 1st in yards per carry allowed (3.1). On special teams, Tampa Bay is the only team with a higher touchback percentage than the Vikings.

“They’re doing a lot of good things across the board,” Frazier said, “and we’re going to have to play our best football to be successful at Mall of America Field on Thursday night.”

Tags:

43 Responses to “Frazier Says Vikings Must Match Buccaneers Intensity”

1. By ozzinator on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Third!

2. By vikingbob136 on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Bucs are going to be hungry.A loss puts them in a bad situation in the playoff race.
    Hopefully we won’t play down to them.Keep the intensity high and bury them by the end of the 3rd quarter.
    Gotta shot down Freeman and run the rock down their throats.
    Go Vikes!

3. By Dave on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Let just keep pounding away at it, you never know we might just hurt a few feelings this year. GO VIKS!!!!!!!!!

4. By vikess86 on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

WE have to play as tough and as hard as we did when we played San Fran. granted no two teams are alike. But IF Ponder plays like He did in the San fran Game and Peterson picks up where he left off against arizona. And the rest of the offense steps up x2 we will come out with a w. GO Vikes!!

5. By VikingFanatic209 on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

I feel this is a tough match up for the Vikes this week…Josh Freeman is no joke and with his mobility he matches up well against us> Now with that said he’s no RG3 but he still can extend plays with his legs and find the open man down field. We will need our Defense to help us out again this week and on the flip side get our Running game going with the best back in football…The bucs pride themselves on being physical but then again so did the niners……..lets make it 5-0 and protect this house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! skol vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. By mac on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

bucs will get pounded … there off. line is banged up nicks –foot , there center .. bicep…doston there right tackle is a rookie …. bring the pressure should be good again for minnesota , i see they sign a wide out on there practice squad johnson came from washington 6-3 207,,.. haven’t seen any posting about it … except yahoo sports …… vikings 34 t.b. 13

7. By meswant on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

it will be a good game/match. If the Vikings keep playing as they have they will win but the play calling has to not be so obvious. They have to get AP & Harvin the ball. If none of the other recievers are able to step up, would be good to go 2 hb in the back (AP & Gerhart – Gerhart is a good reciever) & Harvin, Simpson & Rudolph out in reciever spots. It would give Ponder better options – run, screen or pass. Either way, I believe the Vikings have a good team & hope they continue to play as we all know they can.

8. By liito on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Now, let’s hear from the Vikings wide receiver coach.

9. By RichardA1 on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Ponder should be working on his rolling out and passing! and Frazier tell them not to give the game away.

10. By T.HARRIS on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

GTD-Get Tough Defense/VIKES ON 3,123…VIKES

11. By vikingfanforlife on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Never, ever take a NFL team lightly. Play like its your last game. Take no prisoners. Destroy the Bucs. Do It Now.

12. By Muskyfever on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

If the Defense a & AP keep playing like they have we will keep it close, but If Ponder keep playing like he has were not going to win.

If Ponder can avoid the Turn overs we should be able to pull out the W. But we should NOT underestimate this Offense of TB. They are averaging 30 PTS a game. I think we average like 20 something. That being said they are putting up a lot of points against Poor D’s and I think our D is Super Bowl capable right now. I think this game will be decided by 7 points or less. In now way are we going to blow this team out. They have a GREAT run D, but an absolutly TERRIBLE pass D. Rated 3rd overall in the NFL against the RUN, and 31st overall against the PASS. Ponder needs to sling it if we expect to win this game.

I expect AD to run for 90 YRDS and a TD, but I to win Ponder needs to Throw for 300+ and 2 TD’s otherwise were guna be in trouble. Freeman is a big mobile QB with a MONSTER arm and talented targets. DOn’t think for one second that we are not going to be tested BIG TIME against this team. I expect this to be closer than it was with San Franny.

I do expect the Vikings to win, but it is going to be really really really clsoe

13. By Jarrod on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

The Minnesota Vikings have a huge advantage because of the way there defense is playing. They are going to need to get more rushing yards that the 76 that the Bucs are allowing, and they need to use Percy Harvin. If they can do all that and limit the turnovers the vikings should be good.

The buccaneers need to slow down Adrian Peterson, and they need to try to get the vikings defense out of rythum but the vikings have home field advantage.

I think that the vikings should win by at least 10. but thats just my opinion.

Go Vikings!

14. By Alex on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

I don’t like what you guys keep saying about trying to keep the play calling from being too predictable. We kept trying to get Ponder to pass against a good defense last week and it wasn’t working. We should have kept letting AP run the football. Who cares if the defense knows what were going to do if we win games from it. Let Ponder throw when he needs to but when were up by two touchdowns in the second half we need to run and burn the clock, not keep going 3 and out when Ponder was struggling.

15. By Muskyfever on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

@ Alex –

ONly trying to throw the ball 17 times in a whole game is pretty close to what your describing…. ONly completing 8 of them for 58 YRD 1 TD and 2 picks is what hurts.

Keep in mind that when we say “predictable play calling” were not just talking about the Cards game, were talking about the whole season. When they stack 8 or 9 in the box and we run it anyway… Like against Washington for example, we were asking to get chewed up and spit out…

We NEED to become more creative so we can put games away early instead of letting them hang around till the end and pulling it out by the skin on our chinny chin chin

16. By Tim S on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

@ muskyfever
    I think 90 Yards and a TD is very acceptable. Seeming as how I know that we will not have the ball as often as we did against Arizona I think thats spot on. 300 for Ponder is not impossible for him against this weak and terrible secondary(excluding ronde) but im not sure about the 3 td’s. The biggest factor in this game is matching their offensive explosiveness and thats what I am worried about. Ponder looks hopeless in the red zone this year and musgrave couldn’t call a good play in there to save his family. One of there receivers whether it be Vinny or Mike is going to have a good game. Hopefully its not Vinny.

17. By john on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

this game scares me this is a good team coming in here

18. By borgiskhaan on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

NORSE BATTLE PRAYER: though there do i see my father,though there do i see my mother,my sisters and my brothers, and though do i see the line of my people back to the begining. they do call to me, they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of valhalia where the brave may live forever! SKOL .

19. By percy harvin & adrian peterson & kyle rudolph & Cristian poner & well the whole vikings squad fan ha on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

viking should win this one. Im sure they will by more than 10 points. Bucs are talented indivualy but not overall. We are a more complete team, more balanced. Should win this. I see AP runnig 100+ yards with couple of TDS 2 possible and Ponder 350+ yards with 2 TDs and 1 INT. Vikings 31 Bucs 20

20. By percy harvin & adrian peterson & kyle rudolph & Cristian poner & well the whole vikings squad fan ha on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

*individually

21. By missed the boat on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Ponder just doesn’t cut it. we need a qb or we miss the playoffs!

22. By rkthielen on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

The Viking offense will determine the outcome of this game. The Bucs have a really good offense, and you cannot go 3 and out multiple times against them without paying for it. Ponder will need to have at least a 2 TD game with no turnovers if the Vikings want to improve to 6-2.

23. By BlueBird7 on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

I also like the live action on the blog! Some of it I didn’t already have on my tape.

24. By missed the boat on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Ponder better not make the Vikings look like a bunch of fools

25. By missed the boat on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

on national tv

26. By Tom a on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

The thing that concerns me is the play by Ponder. Against Arizona, Arizona consistently showed 8-9 man fronts against Minnesota. Amazingly, AP still ran for 153 yards, however, with that many guys up front, Minnesota had to have guys open down field! Tell me why then did Ponder only throw for 58 yards? That is pathetic! He had better play better for the Vikings to have a chance of getting into the playoffs, especially with two games against Chicago, GB and Houston!
    Come on Ponder, get Harvin, Rudolph, Carlson, Gerhart and Simpson the ball, so you don’t wear out AP!
    Good luck Vikings…beat TB…

27. By southpawsteve albany n.y vike fan on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Where is Jarius Wright? When is Jerome Simpson going make the big plays? Trade Jenkins,Burton and Aromashdu get a good reciever to complement Percy.Don’t burn out A.P and Percy.

28. By Jayson on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

The Bucs have had our number in recent history. they beat us the year before last and they beat us last year eventhough we were up 20 points at the half. They are a good team that is capable of beating any team any week. WE CANNOT TAKE THEM LIGHTLY! With that being said, I do believe that the Vikes are a much better team then they were the last two years and there just seems to be something special about them. We need to win this game because our schedule gets MUCH tougher after tonight. @sea, Det, bye, @chi, @Gb, Chi, @stl, @hou, Gb. Freeman and Jackson have been hot right now so I would expect the Vikes to try to take Jackson out of the picture and roll the dice against the running game. If we can get good pressure with our front four (while stiffling Jackson) I think we would have a very good advantage. I got a feeling that Brian Robison is going to have a big game tonight.

29. By Jayson on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Dont expect the Vikings to go after some big name reciever before the trade deadline. WHY would they do that? we are 5-2 right now with a young team. The Vikes are going to develope this team the right way, THROOUGH THE DRAFT. It is going to take some time for them to develope into an elite team but so what. Be patient. As far as Christian Ponder is concerned, I do believe that he will develope into a very solid franchise QB but it it is going to take time. These things dont happen over night and anyone who expects it to is just kidding themselves. NO QB (to include Brady, Rodgers, Brees, both Mannings) developes into an elite QB in 2 seasons. Right now, we can enjoy the good things Ponder does but we alos have to live with the fact that he is going to have bad games as well.

30. By autobon7 on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

If Ponder plays poorly tonight I think the staff had better rethink the whole QB situation if they want to have a legit shot at making the playoffs. Tom made a great point about the Cards stacking the box with 8-9 guys most of the game……someone has to be open. 58 yards is just pathetic and it seemed to me that our off cord didn’t make any changes to exploit the situation.

TONIGHT IS A HUGE GAME……..LETS BRING IT

31. By Jayson on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

The Vikes are going to stick with Ponder. He is the future. He needs to experience the ups and downs in order to develope. Do you think Drew Brees developed into what he has in 2 seasons? of course he didnt. Did Eli Manning take the giants to the superbowl in his first 2 seasons? of course not. I bet the giants are glad they stuck with him though (even when he played bad)

32. By autobon7 on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

But our future is now as we have a legit shot at the playoffs. I would like to think that our staff sees the oppertunity and make adjustments as they see fit. I would hate to see a chance at post season go by the way side because they didn’t TRY anything. The main dif between the scenarios u mentioned above with Manning Brees etc is that none of them in 2nd year had the kind of shot as we have. Ponder has a long way to go but I will not accept that as an excuse to miss post season. I have been a Viks fan since I was a kid in 1975 and have seen ups and downs. I know how hard it is just to get to the playoffs let alone win in post season. We have to capture the moment even if it means change…..we will see where we stand after tonight. GO VIKS

33. By Muskyfever on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

You know I think all of us (including myself) are setting the standards for our team a little on the high side, but the way I am looking at it, is no one thought that we would be 5-2 right now. Maybe 3-3 at best. you can all say that you expected this, but deep back in yuor mind none of us thought this would happen.

Do I think we are being overally critical of this team.. HECK YEAH I DO. But the way I see it, is it is their fault (the team that is) If they would have started slow we would all be saying “well you gotta expect that with a new QB and a team in the rebuilding phase. But no, they started fast so we all want results now.

Honestly I think worst case scenario is 8-8 best case is 10-6.. maybe 11-5 but I don’t know. The team is making us be over critical of them, not us fans just being that way.

I would like to go to the playoffs, I don’t even care if we win a game or not. I would think that it would be huge for this team just to go in the first place. I do think that our team has a long way to go and Ponder has a lot to prove to us as fans. We seem to not see the same things that Frazier and The rest of the locker room does, btu thats fine, I don’t expect to. Not to mention Fans will jump to other conclusions pretty quickly. we all do it don’t lie! But he has next year to show me that he belong here before I will write him off for good.

But after next year, if he gets worse or somthing bad happens and we end up like Carolina.. IDK. I guess we will just ahve to see.

I think this week 3TDs, is what we need to win, plus a few clutch field goals

34. By autobon7 on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Musky…you are right. I am setting high standards because we are in the position to hit the playoffs. I did not think that we would be 5-2 buuutttt we are. Lets get through the Bucs tonight and see where we are at. GO VIKS

35. By Kathy P on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

I agree with you Muskyfever. I can honestly say that I didnt think we would be 5-2 at this point in the season and ahead of the Packers,even more surprised me. It is a rebuilding year for us and all of us fans need to remember that. If/when we get pleasant surprises then that’s wonderful.

I certainly dont blame Ponder as much I do the Offensive Line for the poor protection (and I say that lightly) that they gave him on Sunday. They seemed very lethargic, slow, and didnt provide him the time to throw the ball as in previous games. Granted, he should have thrown his (2) interceptions out of bounds instead of trying to make a play, or at least ran with the ball,or take a sack . He wasnt using his head like he did in the previous games; was not looking for alternative receivers on several plays that actually were open. Of course, he didnt have the time to do much looking anyway, because he was being swarmed by defenders and wasn’t being given the time by his Offensive Line to actually look around. You watch the Bears,Packers,Bucs and they usually have alot of time to look for options and Rodgers usually gets his marks spot on. Ponder, doesnt have that luxury and that really has to change pronto.

Josh Freeman/Vincent Jackson duo is going to have to be targeted all night. Freeman has an arm and he certainly has a good aim. I was impressed with him moving the ball as fast as he did to almost upset the Saints last week. So, we are really going to have to bring our “A-GAME” tonight I think.

The only other thing that we need to do is not let them be able to get 10-15 yrd. catches in the middle of the field. That seems to be where the yardage is getting picked up in the last few games.

I love my Vikes. Have been a fan for over 30yrs. now. Im proud of their accomplishments this yr. and how far we have come. Im hoping we win this game tonight, and I agree that this game is going to be a close one. We have to start out “hungry” and stay that way throughout the WHOLE game. We can’t give them that window of opportunity or else we will find ourselves playing catch-up again.

36. By PAVikesFan30 on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

This is a crucial game in my opinion. For many reasons: 1) After this game we have 3 home games left. 2) After this game we have to face the Bears and Packers 2wice each, and we play both Seattle and Houston away. 3) We know how good the Packers can be, and it seems as though they r going to make a run. 4) Along with the Packers, the Bears look to be very formiddable this year………Having said that, this is a HUGE game. 9 wins may not be good enough to get into the playoffs in the NFC this year. We have teams like the Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, our 2 divisional teams, Cardinals, Seahawks 49ers all vying for wildcard spots. I didnt mention Atlanta there b/c they will win the division easily. So a loss tonight would mean we would have to go 5-3 the 2nd half of the year, while a win tonight would mean we would have to go 4-4.

37. By BlueBird7 on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Don’t quite get the 4-4.

38. By mgr4fun on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

with carlson inactive tonight just might be the game to break-out some J-Wright on the dreamcicle team from tampa … percy / kyle / j-wright / simpson … with adrian in the backfield would put some amazing pressure on tampa … simpson wideout on either side … j-wright has the speed to get deep … the o-line must bring some real attitude tonight, we know they can (san fran & ariz) … am truely lookin forward to “SHOWTIME IN THE DOME” … is noway the bucs can be ready for the “METRODOME” and the VIKES “D” … aint it gr8 to be a purple fan !!

39. By 4eversteve on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

I love what Kyle Rudolph can bring to the table, however that being said he hasn’t produced in the fashion that the Vikings or myself would have imagined at this point in the season. If not for Percy Harvin the passing attack is virtually none existent thus far. It is time for the other receivers on this team to step up their game and make their present known if this team want to be recognized as being a contender, most people believe that around the league that the only team they defeated worth talking about was the 49′s. they will need to play lights out football the rest of the way in order to turn the non-believers into believers

40. By DrinkHeavy on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

If we want a shot at the playoffs, we need to win this game, no doubt about it. With the short work week, it’s up to our offense to win it. The Bucs know that the Vikes start slow and don’t have a quick strike offense, so I expect they will throw early and often and try to build a lead like the Skins did. The Bucs have shown they can put up the points, but they also have given up a lot. That’s where Ponder and company have to be on their A game if we are gonna walk away with a win..score TDs in the red zone and no Ponder turnovers..GO VIKES

41. By keith on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Vikings really sucked against Tampa Bay…….Fraiser needs to go

42. By viking181164 on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

thank god my name isnt jarrod… do us a favour dont predict

2. Oct 24, 2012: Links Of The Week: Tampa Bay Coming Up | Vikings Territory