Rookie CB Robinson Earning Trust, Playing Time

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 9, 2012 – 6:42 am

Matt Kalil is dominating on a weekly basis at LT, Harrison Smith is reminding Vikings fans what a playmaking safety looks like and Blair Walsh continues to validate the team’s decision to select him in the draft. But there’s another rookie who has been just as impressive to Vikings coaches and scouts – CB Josh Robinson.

The Vikings selection of Robinson last April was notable because the Central Florida product was the fastest timed player at the Combine (clocked a 4.29 in the 40-yard dash). But from the moment the Vikings selected Robinson, Vikings GM Rick Spielman explained he was as enamored with other parts of Robinson’s skill set as he was with his straight line speed.

“Extremely talented athlete,” Spielman conceded to vikings.com last April. “But when you look at his tape, he has some unique cover skills. He’s more than willing enough to come up in (run) support, too.”

Robinson is proving Spielman prophetic. The 5-10, 199-pound CB has 28 tackles on the season, including 15 in the last two games. Robinson also has 5 pass break-ups (PBUs) already – only 4 Vikings had that many PBUs all of last season. The Vikings pass defense is much improved from a season ago – they’ve improved 13 spots in passing yards allowed and 20 spots in passer rating alloweed – and Robinson is a big reason for the improvement.

The record from last week’s win over Tennessee will show Robinson as a starting CB along with Chris Cook. This does not mean a demotion for Antoine Winfield, but it is another indication of the confidence the Vikings have in their rookie CB.

“I don’t know if that will eventually be the case in 2012,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said of Robinson potentially being a full-time starter at CB. “We know at some point, we’re hoping that Josh develops to the point where he can be our starting corner. That’s why we drafted him when we did. We want him to eventually be a starting corner for us.”

All the talk of Robison seeing more time on the field aside, make no mistake that Winfield is having another solid season. He ranks 2nd on the team in tackles with 41 and is tied for second in tackles for loss (TFLs) with 4.0. Winfield also has one of the team’s two INTs – Robinson has the other. Frazier explained that the Vikings know what they have in the veteran Winfield. The additional playing time for Robinson is about reducing the wear and tear on Winfield while also continuing the steady development of Robinson.

“We know what we’re going to get from Antoine,” Frazier explained. “He’s been playing great ball for us in these first five weeks of the season and we’re going to need him throughout the year. Part of what we’re doing is just trying to take some snaps off of Antoine, along with developing Josh and we’re hoping that Josh continues to come along. He’s been playing well for us.”

Tags: , , ,

59 Responses to “Rookie CB Robinson Earning Trust, Playing Time”

1. By LilBuckDaDon on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Josh robinson is one of my favorite players. He has top speed and can keep up with any reciever in the leauge and plus he hits real hard

2. By VikingsLowDown on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Robinson is really coming around fast. Had he waited one year to come out, he would have been a 1st round selection in the draft. He was surely a steal where we got. With his continued development, if a top tier CB is selected in the first round of the draft next year, the Vikings could end up with one of the best secondarys in the NFL.

3. By #1vikingsfan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

He still needs time. I feel more confident with Winfield on the field. Well ima get off topic. sorry. Well On my NFL fantasy football should I get Jerome Simpsons??

4. By LilBuckDaDon on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

My guess is that in the first round of next year we select the best available reciever.. and second round try to trade down on a good ballhawk hard hitting cornerback or a very good ray lewis or patrick willis typle linebacker… and third round select a offensive lineman and 4th draft another reciever or defensive tackle

5. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

The talent on this young secondary is beginning to shine earlier than I expected…

I thought by mid-season fans would start seeing the secondary making strides defensively…But this young group has plenty of confidence going already…And still has plenty to learn…

J Rob reminds me of a young Winfield…And there is still plenty left in the tank, in the original model… ; )

6. By LilBuckDaDon on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Otkalil2012..

Wat reciever n the 2013 draft do u. Think will be a minnesota viking

7. By JE on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

There is a nice article on the vikings on the sporting news site. It hits on all the good things the viking players and coach Frazier are doing this season. Keep up the good work coach. You have the ship moving in the right direction.

8. By LilBuckDaDon on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I think it will be either justin hunter or Robert woods..

9. By JE on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

The more i see the players we drafted this year the more i believe we desearve an A grade for the draft. Speilman and staff hit a homerun!! Abig shoutout to Scott Studwell for his work as well. Great job guys!!!

10. By Burnem on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Speilman has got a top 5 draft this year no doubt Robinson was a steal at 3rd round. Smith and Sanford are playing hard physical football back there LOVE IT Blair Walsh was a great pick even Audie Cole is going to be good give him a good year to devolop Erin was a Undrafted Free Agent and now our starting OLB Great job Speilman

11. By robb on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I think every pick came out pretty good(even Childs).

12. By JE on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

JSimpson will be fine and will show his value as the season goes. Ponder and Simp hit it off instantly and when healthy will be targeted often by Ponder. Harvins monster year is going to give guys like Simp one on one opertunities that Ponder will take on a regular basis.

13. By Burnem on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Next years draft really can take best player available maybe DT or maybe WR or even trade first round pick to KC for D. Bowe they Franchised him already he doesn’t want to be there and they are doing terrible again he’s a stud. He’s not injury proned and puts up good numbers with Cassel throwing to him. Redo J.Allen’s and K.Williams contract to pay Harvin and Bowe we already are a good number under the cap

14. By JE on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree. Even guys like Rhett Ellison and Robert Blanton have big upside.Trading a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder for a 4th and 5th next year was also a nice move. Getting extra picks and still getting Kalil. This draft was a HOMERUN!!!!

15. By ps on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

GJ on draft. It’s looking like the best ever for the Vikes
    1. Kahil, appears to be that franchise cornerstone
    2. Smith, true safety already
    3. Robinson, love the potential and contribution
    4. Wright, hope he has value down the road
    4. Ellison, already a team contributor
    4. Childs, hold out hope he does have that talent and will get healthy
    5. blanton, instant depth
    5. traded
    6. traded ( for next year 4 and 5)
    6 Walsh , what a find
    7. Cole , love the upside
    7. Guyton, only guy Vikes cut.

16. By RichardA1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Test,,,

17. By RichardA1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

It is going to be like a Capitol One credit card in Wash! the Vikes are going to have there way with Skins!!!!

18. By RichardA1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

H. Smith is exactly what the Vikes need! he is a great player and he hits! the other teams just aren’t used to seeing that on a Vikings secondary! Here Come The Vikes!!!

19. By JE on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Winning these early games is a must. Staying healthy doing it is even better. So far so good on the overall health of our team.Lets keep this roll goin boys!!!SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

20. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

PAY PERCY!

21. By JE on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Harrison Smith is a stud! He is exactly the player we needed on our defense. What a great pick. These Notre Dame players are working out pretty well i would say.

22. By Muskyfever on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I second that PAY PERCY SOON!!!

23. By JE on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Yea, paying Percy will be expensive but worth every penny.!! Best all around player in the league.WOW is he good!

24. By GrandDaddyPurp on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

There are already talks of him being the MVP

25. By vikingstruefan4life on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I truley think that the vikings should start being more explosive and creative and start letting Joe webb get some trick plays and let him run it a couple times and let him throw it a few times… he is a good footbal player

26. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

LilBuck…

I do not have much interest in college football…UNTIL they get into bowl games during the holidays…I try to save myself from getting burned out studying players for the NFL draft…

I see too many players getting high marks through the regular season…More so because of team talent (which is great)…More than individual effort…

I like to break down the players individually…See how he does in high profile games (bowl games)…And during the senior bowl week…Where all higher talent levels are combined together…

That is when I really start digging in deep scouting players…And of course at the combine…

So, I have no early favorites at any position in the college ranks right now…

But before the 2013 spring draft…I will have 30 names on my “wish list”, for the Vikings to draft… ; )

27. By H.M.G. on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Who would have thought that after last year that the secondary would have improved so much. See what investing into the secondary gets you.
    Robinson is 21 years old. 21! and he has the potential to be amazing.
    If Cook turn out to be the player the Vikings thought he was we will have the 2 best CB in the NFL. Add in Smith and the secondary could be the best in the league.
    Now the other safety spot is a question with Raymond getting hurt and not being able to show how wells he has developed.
    And Sanford while playing great now has never preformed at a constantly high level. Hopefully he keeps it up.
    So finally with a good secondary the Vikings should look at improving the front 7 of the D. As in a new shinny MLB named Manti Te’O and a big run stuffing, block eating, monster of a DT.
    After that is done the Vikings will have the best D around.

28. By H.M.G. on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Justin Hunter is the best draft eligible WR in CFB. That is as long as he is back from his torn ACL. 6’4, giant hands, body control, and speed.

29. By Spencer on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I like J-Rob, but he gives entirely too many underneath routes. Its a good thing that he doesnt get beat deep but still…he has to improve in that aspect.

30. By #1vikingsfan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Im hearing rumors bout d. Bowe not wanting to b in KC. Vikings should give it a try on getting him n if they do they should still draft a WR n developed him n imagine having harvin, bowe, Simpsons, n if they get a WR. Wow n the backup jarius Wright, Greg Childs, arnoshodu or Jenkins. Will b a pretty cool dream. Ha

31. By vikingstruefan4life on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

H.M.G..
    I think we need a reciever before we get a defensive player… we have no good recievers besides Harvin.. we need someone that’s a top 3 reciever abt 6’4 230 pounds 4.40 speed in the first round and in the 2nd and 3rd round add a corner in the 2nd and a linebacker in the 3rd. And in the 4th round piicks go after the best wide reciever available and then go for the best offensive lineman available.

32. By BlueBird7 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Vikes4Life

On the Joe Webb thing. I do believe that Frazier and Company DO have a plan to use Joe. I just think that they are waiting for the perfect time and game to pull a surprise when the opportunity presents itself.

To use a plan this soon in the season would not be in the best interests of the team. Be assured Frazier has something hidden up his sleeve.

He and his crew are finally waking up as to what NFL coaches should be.

33. By JE on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I dont no, the receivers we have seem to be playing pretty well now that we have a decent QB throwing them the ball. We havent even gotten a chance to see Simpson yet. And that goes for JWright as well. Aroshmudu and Jenkins have come up big so far this year.Stephen Burton is young and very physical.You also still have Childs and Summers. Our receiving core is better than most people want to give them credit for.

34. By David on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Great job by the Vikings front office. I don’t think there is a team in this league that has seen their whole draft from top to bottom contribute and succeed the way the Vikings draft picks have this year.

35. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Sunday will not be easy– I am very concerned.

36. By Parkway on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I like what I’m seeing from J Rob, LOVE what I’ve been seeing from Smith, definitely worth the trade up into the first round.

Our next stop will definitely need to be to focus on a true big #1 receiver and our offense would be nearly unstoppable I think. If Simpson and Carlson were contributing more maybe our pass offense would be different, I think Carlson has 2 catches for 1 yard so far this season for $20 mill. And percy is manbeasting for what about $800k?

37. By Rudso on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I think the Vikings coaches and staff really took advantage of coaching the Senior Bowl, or was it East and West shrine game? Either way, apparently it really helped because this rookie class has been A+ so far.

I think it’s safe to say the rookies are a huge reason for the early Viking success. It only made it better that we were able to get that huge win vs. the mighty 49ers, talk about a HUGE confidence builder!

You can also make the argument that they made other players around them step up their game. I’m sure when Kalil steps in to the hardest O-line position and performs it makes the other guys step it up, it’s embarrassing to have a rookie outperform you. Same could be said in the secondary, Harrison is bringing a “nasty attitude” style play that we greatly needed. A smart hard hitting safety is a dangerous thing. I’m sure Cook and Sanford are feeding off their style.

38. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Rudso, exactly. That is why if you are the smartest one in your group of friends, get a new group.

39. By vikfreak on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Pay Percy Harvin and cut Carlson because Ellison is much better in protection and pass-play! I love this draft picks that Spielman put together. I’m looking forward to beating Redskins’!

40. By #1vikingsfan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

@titus
    what is your prediction in the redskins game?
    im kinda worry bout the next 3 games actually.

41. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I am concerned they will try to hurt Peterson and knock him out of the game– they did that two years in a row already. Shanahan has been there a long time– for a Redskins coach, it is an eternity. I suspect he knows his job will be on the line if the skins miss the playoffs again– and who knows what his plan for Sunday is–

I am not making any predictions– I hope for a win…

42. By sandiamond on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

43. By #1vikingsfan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I hve a feeling this game is goin to b decided in the last minutes.. I hope Vikings win to. This game should show how talented they actually are. I hve a feeling this game will not go good for Vikings tho. Like you said worry bout AP. My opinion is this game is a 50 50 chance.

44. By sandiamond on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Toby running with “fire in his belly” last sunday… earning time on the field. Vikings should count him heavy in the offense plan vs Wash

45. By H.M.G. on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Hunter would be my pick if they go WR. But Te’O just fits so well into what Spielman and Fraizer are looking for in draft prospects.

46. By Gawlee on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

It still makes me mad that Josh Robinson got penalized for that little slam tackle he did at the Lions game, anyways Robinson was a good pickup, I see a bright future for him.

47. By sandiamond on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Ride the Saddle’ 11 games to go with Carlson to see if the FA contributes along with the other new players. Contract locked in week 1 on active roster, done deal. Take a look at next year, no need to whine further now

48. By sandiamond on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

boom!@ #21 SuPlex style

49. By sandiamond on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Live 2013 draft podcast:

50. By Foreman44 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Just goes to show what a couple of wins can do for your confidence and attitude – what a difference a year makes! Give Spielman, Frazier and his staff the credit..they were under a lot of pressure to show progress and they have delivered way beyond expectations so far. I hate to say it, but my favorite moment this week was the ejection of Smith – hey, when was the last time one of our DBs got overly-aggressive and ejected from a game? I can’t remember..I used to kill this team for lack of heart and aggressiveness, but now I really feel like we have a group of guys who will lay it all out there, win or lose. Let’s keep it going in DC this week with a win against RG3. GO VIKES!

51. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I hear you Titus, I talked about that very thing today at work, I am worried the Skins are going to go after Petersons knees again, they really need to split the load with Garhart and limit Peterson as much as possible in that game.
    As far as the secondary goes, Smith is exactly what the Viking doctor ordered and I am really starting to enjoy watching him play. The kid shows visions of Joey Browner, I love the way he is in on almost every play and he loves to hit and hit hard, my kind of safety. also Robinson is holding his own and will be good. I never thought I would have seen such a major improvement in our secondary this early, great job Vikings and SKOL!

52. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

OOOH YEA! sandiamod! I forgot about that call on Robinson, that was a great football hit and tackle and the penalty should have never been called on Robinson.

53. By Vikings1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

@Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus

I don’t have the same reservations that most of you have about the Skins and I think we will win the game.

54. By Billy on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings are one of the few teams in the NFL that are solid at all the positions along with some superstars in, Jarred, AP, Harvin, Greenway and a bunch more on there way. Speaking of the secondary what happened in 1 year wow, Cook came back, Sanford has step way up. Smith is a stud and Robinson was maybe the steal of the draft. Raymond looks great and will be back soon and Winfield has already had many big plays and looks better than he has in the last few years that were good. Take Winfield out of the equation and Sanford is the old man of this group.Young, talented and hungry. With some good backups with Jefferson and Sendejo. Then add Blanton who played great when put in along with Sherels. With the coaching and focus this group has they are turning into something special and may be the strongest part of the team as they play together and continue to grow. Who would of dreamed this after last year and 5 games in.

55. By CaribooBill on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I remember, vividly, AD laying on the turf with his leg twitching and the Redskins LB who put him there high-fiving London Fletcher in celebration. Enough said.

56. By puckertrucker on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

The Vikes are on a roll they need to build their confidence and keep going for the throat and the Jugular. Don’t let up for a minute press your Defense press the Offense go all the way play like the Oregon Ducks want to see great Football watch some Videos of the Ducks maybe Frazier can get some Ideas from Chip Kelly’s Team and the way they play Football for 60 Minutes. Go get them Frazier. The One and Only Pucker Trucker!!!!!Skol Fans

57. By steven on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

im sure someone goign to get in trouble if they hurt ap again like that then you know its on purpose

58. By 4eversteve on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

If the Vikings haven’t already the better start negotiating a new contract with Percy Harvin . The man is playing possessed and the $$$$$ amount is going up by the game. Lock down Percy to a long term deal, he has by far and away been the most dangerous offensive play in the NFL bar-none to this point in the season. HE is the main reason thus far this team is currently 4-1.

59. By 4eversteve on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

I have to wonder what the strategy will be against RG3, maybe keep an extra DB in the game to matchup speed wise and mirror him on the field. They will have to knock him down in few time to rattle him. Hopefully the D-Line will be up to the task.