Frazier Discusses Jerome Simpson’s Condition

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 8, 2012 – 4:20 pm

Being able to make on-the-fly adjustments is a necessary skill for NFL teams that want to be successful. The Vikings went through that drill with Jerome Simpson after their speedy receiver experienced discomfort in his leg before Sunday’s victory over the Tennessee Titans. The injury did not prevent Simpson from playing in the game, but it did limit his ability to impact the game.

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier held his customary day-after-the-game press conference at Winter Park on Monday and was asked about the situation. He explained that Simpson first experienced the ailment when he woke up on Sunday morning.

“We didn’t know anything was wrong until the morning of the game,” Frazier explained. “I got a call yesterday (Sunday), I got a call, a text actually from (Head Athletic Trainer) Eric Sugarman saying there was something wrong with Jerome. Then when I got to the stadium and he (Sugarman) comes in my office and explains to me what’s going on, it wasn’t the conversation I was expecting to have on a day of the game.”

Frazier described the issue as “numbness, some weakness” in the leg and that Simpson was fine walking but wasn’t able to push off. After observing Simpson workout before the game, doctors and coaches determined that Simpson was at no further risk by playing. So Simpson dressed for the game, but he was unable to make an impact. Simpson was targeted three times and didn’t catch a pass.

“We had a big package for Jerome in this game,” Frazier said. “We really felt like there were some things we could utilize his abilities and make some plays for us.”

The question now is: Will Simpson be able to make any plays for the Vikings any time soon?

“We’ll learn more, as I mentioned, throughout the day,” Frazier said. “But from everything I’ve been told, we shouldn’t be afraid to the point where we’re going to lose him for a long period of time. But everything is not conclusive as we speak.”

While ambiguity remains on Simpson’s condition, nothing Frazier said on Monday should sound any alarms about long-term problems. We’ll keep you posted on the issue and provide updates when appropriate.

Tags: ,

52 Responses to “Frazier Discusses Jerome Simpson’s Condition”

1. By BlueBird7 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Get back on the field, we need you.

2. By BlueBird7 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Simpson, we all are aware how good you are at what you do..You don’t have to jump 20 feet in the air over a CB, 10 or 12 feet will be OK. Get Well soon.

3. By rogerthevikefan on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Wow can’t post the link.
    If you want to see why Smith slightly moved the ref go to http://vikingsfootballblog.com/
    for the link to the video.

4. By rogerthevikefan on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

If your not willing to I will summarize.
    The ref walked Smith back from the play with his forearm in Smith’s throat.
    The ref should be fired.

5. By H.M.G. on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Total BS. The ref needs a refresher on proper conduct and if that does not work KICK HIM IN THE NUTS. Then have a 300 plus pound guy jump on him.

6. By BlueBird7 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Wonder why somebody did’t point this out to Frazier and the Field Judge.

7. By H.M.G. on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Because the refs cover for eachother.

8. By H.M.G. on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I think the whiskey bottle incident needs to be reenacted.

9. By sandiamond on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Why no explanation for Simpson jumping over cheerleaders before the game?

10. By BlueBird7 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Or to the NFL Commissioner Roger was at the game.Roger then could see that his fair-haired “Offiicals” need some refreshing courses in how to perform in a proper manner.

11. By Muskyfever on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

You know, I bet Goodell being at the game is one of the major reasons that nothing else is going to happen to Smith. Goodell saw the whole thing go down in real time. He probably knows that there is no reason to fine or suspend him…

12. By BlueBird7 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Muskyfever

Would be fair to Smith if Roger took that pushy Ref off to one side and yell into his ear.

13. By H.M.G. on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Surprised no one is really talking about this.

14. By H.M.G. on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Would be fair if Goodell let Smith kick the ref in the nuts in the middle of the field. Then eject the ref.

15. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond…

I agree…Why is Simpson doing the splits 6 feet in the air before the game…If he was injured before that little escapade ???…

Does not look like an injured player in the picture…

But was he injured after he came down from that little trick…Just showing off ???…

Frazier doing a cover up story for Simpson ???…

16. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Just GREAT to know we have Smith for this weekend !!!…

17. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

If Simpson had a bad leg…Or no feeling in his foot…Why was he doing this before the game…

18. By BlueBird7 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think Frazier wants to tell us, OTK.

19. By sandiamond on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

It’s obvious somebody made a mistake giving the green light for the pre-game acrobatics. I mean C’mon he couldn’t push off with the left leg. They aren’t going to admit it so let’s just hope Simpson is okay with a only a stif muscle

20. By MuskyFever on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Bluebird7…

No I don’t think it would be fair at all. I just don;t think that there is need for further action.

Though it may not have been as severe as we all thought, Smith should not have been in the scrum in the first place. Either way I’m glad we will get him back.

Simpson on the other hand… Not sure whats going on there, but as long as he is good to go for the redskins game. It just becomes one of those strange situations.

21. By Viking33 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I would like to see what a motivated Simpson can do. It would make our ever improving team even harder to defend.

22. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

What a poorly written article. Wobbles, some of us are stoopid, but not all of us.
    That last paragraph is the worst. Really? We have no answers whatsoever from your hollow writing; the only fact is Simpson had numbness in his leg and could not perform. This could be extremely serious and, yes, long term.

23. By sandiamond on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

24. By Matthias on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I think we will draft either a WR or DT in the first. After that we probably will take a LB or best value. My only concern is the cap space after we sign Percy, if he wants to, to a long term contract. We also have a lot of guys sitting on their last year of their rooky contract such as Everson Griffen. So we may draft a DE. Who knows?

25. By Matthias on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

26. By Matthias on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

In 4 years we have to resign Kalil and Smith. In 3 years we have to resign Ponder and Robinson…..

27. By Spencer on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Dont forget about Cook..

28. By Im a "real" Doctor on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Ya, in the next 3-4 years, those signings will be important for sure…..hope we can sign em all back.

29. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Cook plays okay.

30. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

What is a real doctor?

31. By PurpleNation on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Where did all those whack lowlife cheese heads go? Oh wait, I forgot they’re still trying to hide from all the embarrassment their team is taking this season! SKOL VIKINGS NATION! Being a GB Whacker fan must not feel too good right now!

32. By PurpleNation on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

@Vikings Nation, don’t worry it’s okay to let the cheese heads whine and cry all they want. The more they (GB Whack fans) cry, the better because it just means that our team (MN Vikings, That’s right it’s the MINNESOTA VIKINGS to all the haters/naysayers) is doing all the right things! I just love seeing GB fans cry.

SKOL VIKINGS NATION!!!

33. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I said from the summer the Pack would go 8-8 based on collective psychological analysis of the way their season ended last year– the team psyche and also that teams have a blueprint to beat them, let alone their O line seems weak– seven sacks in the first half at Seattle, if I recall. And five in the second half at Indy. I said if they struggle early, it will only get uglier. Vikes will sweep the Pack. Vikes will spilt with Chicago and sweep Detroit. Whether we win the division or not, that is unsure– Chicago’s D is looking real good- they may win 12 or more.

34. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I drove through Green Bay once– not much out there. You cannot blame the cheeseheads for needing something to do.

35. By Spencer on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

What do you have to say about your Bills Titus? Are they still AFC Championship bound?

36. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Yes, Spencer, they are– in 2014.

37. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Ponder is ranked #9 on ESPN, just a smidgen below Eli Manning.

38. By xvike on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

People saying the ref had no right to do what he did to smith, you guys don’t know what you are talking about. Sure he put his fore arm into smith’s neck, but I’m sure it wasn’t intentional. He did what he needed to do. This is the second week since the regular refs have been back. Their job is to keep the players in check. That means no scuffles, arguments, pushing/shoving that could lead into a fight. The first 3 weeks were a disaster. The replacement refs had no control over the players and tempers were flaring everywhere. The ref had every right to do what he did to prevent any unnecessary confrontations between players. Simply put, the ref had to put his foot down and he did. Anyway, Carlson had one heck of a game eh? His best game as a vikings so far. 2 catches for 1 yard. Love it. The best FA signing this off-season…. Seriously though, when the heck is he going to show up? I believe he gets paid more than Rudolph! that’s a slap in the face for Kyle!

39. By Spencer on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

No, you said this year for the Bills.

40. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

xvike is sooooooooooooo right. I used to serve in hotels in room service– met a ton of celebrities including a lot of sports stars. We once had the Eagles and they were huge– I am just shy of six feet and I felt like a child next to them. Most of the refs are average sized and if they MUST be PROTECTED from these giants– there MUST be a rule of law on the field of absolutely no contact.

41. By H.M.G. on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Carlson will be gone after this year. That will open up cap space.

42. By H.M.G. on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

So xvike its alright to push into another guys throat?
    With enough force he could have seriously harmed Smith.

43. By RichardA1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

The Vikes ships have landed in Wash, time to take over the town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. By Old School on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Simpson is huge to the rest of this season and how it will go.

We have to have a down the field threat to take the heat off of Percy and Kyle underneath!

If he is going to be iffy the rest of the season time to start kicking cans out on the street and find someone to bring in.

45. By Muskyfever on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, John Carlson is a no show this year as far as I am concerned. I don’t think it is all his fault though, at least totally… We are not really writing up anything special for him to do, to try and make a play. But the one or two times that we have given him a chance to shine… he kinda flopped. I really liked the free agent signing thought it would help a lot. Turns out it is in different to how we are playing.

I like Carlson… A lot actually, think he is a great player, just not right for this system.

Get rid of Carlson, Start showing Ellison we believe in him and of course Rudolf is a BEAST. If we start playing Ellison more, I think it would be really good for the squad, that dude has a lot of potential.

If Simpson does not start stepping up a little bigger, I think it may be time to find someone ANYONE of waivers or through trades that can help stretch the field. Or if worst comes to worst start playing the guys that we actually have. I have seen good things out of Burton, They just need to give him more time. Same with Wright

46. By rory from n.w.ark on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

You wonder other than legal problems why Cinn let him go with all that skill, could have been his durability ,seems Simpson only had one good season with Cinn, he was hurt thru his career with Cinn thru 2 seasons,Carlson just cant seem to get open,may have been a bust signing,agree with Ellison getting more time,seems our rookies are the ones pulling the sled early which is great,also dont understand Wright not getting some playing time the guy has the talent,seen him at ARK he is the real deal….go VIKINGS we can win this division and will….

47. By RichardA1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

! The Titans did it to him! I say we take our grudge out on the Washington Redskins. Ellison looking good. The Vikes still haven’t gone absolutely Berzerk on anyone, still waiting,,this might be the game!

48. By Rudso on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Let’s give Simpson the year at least before we wright him off. We did sign him for only 1 year so there isn’t much risk there. But if this continues I can see the Vikings drafting a WR with their first pick. Someone with speed and size. Even if Simpson does pick up his contribution as the season goes he doesn’t have the size for that # 1 WR.

One thing I got to say about this year is I’m VERY pleased with how our rookies have performed. We knew we had a good team last season but we just had a couple of HUGE holes in our team that others exploited.

Kalil is playing fantastic for a rookie and you can tell the entire O-line has stepped it up with his addition. I can see why Rick moved up to draft Harrison Smith, I’m going to go ahead and say that he has performed better than Mark Barron. 6’2 Smart, Physical, Instinctive, Smith can be a Top 3 Safety in a couple of years……….SCORE!!!

J. Robinson has been solid as well for a rookie CB. I knew about the speed but man he closes fast and hits hard. That tackle he did late in the game vs. the Titans that probably tore the other players ACL was a great tackle. I don’t wish that kind of injury on a player but that kind of stuff gets put on film that other players watch to prepare for the Vikings, gives them something to think about while their running a slant down the middle.

Walsh………. Top 5 in Fantasy points, that’s saying something for a rookie. He alone won us the first game vs. the Jaguars. WELL worth a draft pick.

Every other pick has also shown promise like Cole during the pre-season game, they just need opportunities. Imagine if we had both our rookie WR’s, Wright and Childs how much better we would be. Great rookie class for the Vikings.

49. By #1vikingsfan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Should I put Jerome Simpson in my NFL fantasy football?

50. By Kyle on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

i wouldnt put simpson in this week because they said he was hurt but he might have a good game coming off his leg injury and helping out do whatever you feel

51. By sandiamond on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

52. By celticvikingwarrior on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

As someone who is permanently disabled with more “problems” to his spine than can be listed on a sheet of school notebook paper, single spaced, and was told over 25 years ago that if I wasn’t VERY, VERY careful I was going to end up as either a “para” or “quadrapalegic”…..
    I can say with some confidence that Simpson had absolutely no business playing against TN without an MRI…
    Hopefully it’s nothing more serious than a “pinched nerve”, which can be serious enough if not properly cared for….

I have EVERY confidence that Carlson will be a huge contributor to this team before the season is done….I’m sure that coming home as a F/A and then dealing with a nagging injury and the fact that he wants to perform and not let down his team mates has put him in a undue pressure situation….not to mention the fact that Ponder seems to take more time than average to feel comfortable with his receivers and last but not least, Carlson has a body of work that coaches AND players know of and to play him tight…He IS a VERY good player and WILL COME THROUGH IN THE END….
    Five games is far to few to be writing him off….