Vikings Shuffle LBs To Dance Around Injuries

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 7, 2012 – 7:12 am

A return from injury by Erin Henderson and a new injury for Marvin Mitchell could result in a small roster shuffle at LB for the Vikings on Sunday. Solid play in all phases of the game by Jasper Brinkley and solid depth behind Henderson and Mitchell will allow the Vikings defense to overcome the hurdles, though.

Henderson, who missed the past two games because of a concussion, was limited in practice on Wednesday but was a full participant on Thursday and Friday. He was listed as questionable for the Vikings on their final injury report. Mitchell, who has dealt with an ankle injury all season, also injured his calf during Wednesday’s practice. He was limited in work on Thursday, did not practice on Friday and is listed as doubtful on the final injury report.

While meeting with reporters on Friday after practice, Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier intimated that Henderson will be able to play today, which is big news because of Mitchell’s expected absence. Even with Henderson back, though, expect both Audie Cole and Tyrone McKenzie to be active for the game.

The key to the whole picture, though, is the solid play from Brinkley, especially in the Vikings nickel package. Brinkley has displayed marked improvement in pass coverage, which has allowed the team to put Brinkley in its nickel package as the “MIKE” LB in place of Henderson, the team’s regular starter in that package.

“Yeah we’re going to keep Jasper at the nickel mike for the time being,” Frazier said. “He’s done a good job there. Give Erin a chance to kind of get his legs back under him and then we’ll revisit it later on. Jasper has done a good job so we have a lot of confidence in what he’s accomplished so far.”

Tags: , , ,

64 Responses to “Vikings Shuffle LBs To Dance Around Injuries”

1. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Good morning everyone!!

2. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Just make sure Ponder is ready. If not get Joe warmed up.

3. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Its gameday and the team needs a big win. As for the article, i like our group of linebackers but we cant have multiple injuries at this position. Good to see Brinkley playing so well.

4. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

JE, Yes, it is a good morning. Let us all hope the day ends as well as it has started, with a BIG Win for todays’ game. GO TEAM, GO!

5. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I sure hope to see our offense keep making strides this week. JSimpson is the player we have been missing for several seasons and his ability to take the top off of defenses going to benefit everyone on the offensive side of the ball. SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!

6. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Those of you watching the Vikings/ Titans game on cable, it is on CBS at 325PM CST. Not Fox.

7. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Your turn, JE.

8. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Good morning Bluebird7. Love your great attitude and confidence in JWebb. This is Ponders team but if he were to get hurt i think Webb can be the short term guy to get a win or two until Ponders return. Ijust hope we can keep Ponder healthy cuz hes making huge progress.

9. By Spencer on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Wondering if Kenny Britt will play or not..

10. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Not much said about the rookie JWright?? Have you any news on his return from ankle??

11. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Thank you, JE. Fred Jones and I both like what we see in Joe Webb.
    However, I do agree with you. Keep Ponder well and safe! Are you listioning Kalil?

12. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Defense needs to put alot of heat on veteran QB.

13. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, NFL.Com says Britt will NOT play today.. Britt, himself, said if he feels 100%, He’ll play…Which will it be? Who knows,
    Only the Shadow knows..Remember that one, Titus.

14. By Kyler on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I heard that jarius is no longer hurt, just that LF and musgrave simply like the 4 guys they got right now. i think it was Dan wieder that asked them.

15. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

What people fail to realise is JWebb is a 6th round pick that we pay the league minimum. What a great player we have with so little investment.

16. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the info Kyler. He will get his chance to play in the near future. Who knows, mabe we see him today??

17. By Kyler on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I would hope so, because i think jenkins has seen way better days.

18. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

WOW, theres nothing better than Sunday morning gameday.!!

19. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

It would be nice to see JWright in the slot and Harvin and Simpson on the outside on a few plays. That could be dangerous!!

20. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Would love to see a couple of picks today. Send ol Hasselhoff back to the beach.

21. By Spencer on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Bluebird- Britt hasn’t been ruled out yet..

22. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Quietly the offensive line plays good football. Last week we had our 1st false start of the season. Wow, they are starting to gell.!!

23. By sandiamond on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Wright 100% and ready to go. cant get him on the active roster yet it seems. Simpson back and the LB added depth today is hurting our other WR’s development

Not one back-up safety period. Why not bench Jefferson or Robinson? we got plenty of corners

24. By sandiamond on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Let’s see that 25 mill investment today! Good TE in Reisner sitting on the PS dirt cheap as they come

25. By Spencer on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Sandiamond, watch out for South Carolina. They could hang with Alabama!

Jadeveon Clowney is a stud coming off the edge.

26. By sandiamond on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Yep, Spurrier has got a roster stacked to high cotton. SEC East power shift got the bama nation worried spence

27. By SDVikesFAN on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I think I ended up at the wrong Vikings Festival, but I did score a Jared Allen interview

28. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Yea it would be nice to see Carlson get in the mix today.

29. By Spencer on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Whose Carlson?

30. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

SDVikesFan. Are you sure thats not Wes Welker.??

31. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Yea Spencer. He is that really expensive TE we got in free agency. He does have one catch though. At least hes got that goin for him.

32. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I do think Calson is a good player. Ponder needs to get him the ball a couple times and get some confidence with him. When you think about it the Vikings do have alot of good players on the offensive side of the ball.

33. By LilBuckDaDon on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I predict that the score will be 47 to 17
    Peterson will have 174 yard and 2 tds
    Christian ponder will have 394 yard 3tds
    Jerome Simpson will have 109 yard and 7 catches 1td
    Percy harvin will have 148 yards and 1 td
    Kyle Rudolph will have 4 cathces for 76 yards and 1td

34. By QB on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I’d love to see Audie Cole play some LB today. Boys just got a knack for the ball. I also see where Jenkins is questionable with a rib, truth is, he’s questionable when he’s healthy. Give J Wright a shot.

35. By Spencer on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Just heard on ESPN that Kenny Britt will not play, but waiting for the official report.

36. By Spencer on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Actually, I think Kenny Britt is playing..

37. By sandiamond on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Packers got their hands full today. Greg Jennings out and Freeney/ Fleener in for the Colts could be a wonderful day!

38. By Ozzinator on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. By JE on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Just how many games can Ponder go without a pick?? I got 6. Anybody else wanna take a shot??

40. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Spencer..Who cares if Britt plays? Cook should be able to handle him, don’t you think?

41. By sandiamond on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

JE two more games would be just about right to break Warren Moon’s record.

42. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

JE, I think the only way Ponder will get a pick is if and when one of the enemy takes the ball from his hands….

43. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Sure would like to see more from Audie Cole, see if that kid is for real or not.

44. By BlueBird7 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

MW must have seen my post on this blog. He now has a new blog telling everybody what I put on here up above.

45. By vkings#1 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

welcome back henderson brinkley good job in his absence LET GO VIKES

46. By double glazing uk on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

Another alternative is to hire a company to install a pre-fab sunroom.
    If you go to ‘Opus 126′ and on the right hand side there is a list of further pages that you can pull up and one of them says ‘about’ and that gives a little bit
    of information. Be careful not to chop out too much wood at a time in case the chisel is driven over the line of the rebate.

47. By camere video auto on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

One other gift basket variation would be a “sexy” gift basket loaded with eatable lotions,
    a bottle of champagne and naughty games or perhaps toys.

As everything can now be accessed on the Internet, it seems that I can easily do errands or
    spend my work hours with my fingers doing the job, well, done.
    Subscribe to the Sales & Deals Examiner for instant email updates on more last-minute holiday deals.

48. By livemint.com on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

The ultimate goal of your travel agency is to attract business
    and bring travelers to your site. Travel photography does not
    universally mean locations that are far away from you because that is a relative term to an international
    audience. Imagine – Books makes it so easy for
    you to design your own personal photobook.

49. By make money by mobile apps on Aug 10, 2014 | Reply

It is easy to install and it makes blogging quick
    and easy even for a beginner who is without any technical skills.
    When it comes to outsourcing this is something you are
    taught right away if you want to be a business owner. If you’re not spending a huge amount of your time
    your profit margin could rise considerably and leave your account too expensive; remember you will also have to contend with the prices that other gamers are offering.

50. By youtube.com on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

You could even purchase a lot of your new accessories before you do
    your remodeling project. The appreciation of a excellent plumber and
    their solutions only gets seen when anything is improper with your plumbing
    these kinds of as leaks in faucets, toilets and showers.
    Students who attend city colleges often do so to
    acquire an associate’s degree and many tend to pursue state colleges or universities to earn a bachelor’s degree.

51. By Colette on Aug 17, 2014 | Reply

What’s up, just wanted to say, I loved this post. It was inspiring.
    Keep on posting!

52. By bell0bytes.eu on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

I really like what you guys are usually up too.
    This type of clever work and reporting! Keep up the fantastic works
    guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.

53. By oferte calculatoare on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

It’s going to be end of mine day, however before ending I am reading this wonderful article to
    increase my know-how.

54. By slabire fara dieta on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

It’s actually a nice and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you just shared this
    useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like
    this. Thanks for sharing.

55. By http://www.dotcomtalk.com/UserProfile/tabid/64/userId/417609/Default.aspx on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Hi! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I
    could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as
    yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

56. By zapyou.blogspot.ru on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I should check things
    out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to looking at your web page again.

57. By rental car companies on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

I’ve been browsing online greater than three hours lately, yet I by no means
    discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It’s pretty price enough
    for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made
    good content as you probably did, the web will likely be much more helpful than ever
    before.

58. By vehicle rental on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

I am not sure the place you are getting your info, but great topic.
    I must spend some time studying more or working out more.
    Thanks for excellent information I used to be searching for this
    info for my mission.

59. By www.rasouleaftab.ir on Sep 6, 2014 | Reply

Awesome! Its actually awesome post, I have got much clear idea about from this paragraph.

60. By toy lab drone on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This article
    posted at this web site is actually good.

61. By struguri de vanzare on Sep 20, 2014 | Reply

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
    Your site provided us with valuable information to
    work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be
    thankful to you.

62. By ganar dinero desde la casa on Sep 25, 2014 | Reply

Quality posts is the key to invite the users to visit the
    site, that’s what this website is providing.

63. By https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjEjg4XvgWk&feature=youtu.be on Sep 27, 2014 | Reply

You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I find
    this matter to be actually something which I believe I’d never
    understand. It seems too complicated and extremely large for me.
    I am having a look forward for your next publish, I’ll
    attempt to get the cling of it!

64. By Harvest Restaurant on Oct 1, 2014 | Reply

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your
    blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to
    your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.