Frazier Says Vikings Need Best Effort To Beat Titans

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 3, 2012 – 12:50 pm

The Vikings are riding high after winning three of their first four games of the season, and this week many figure they will prolong the positivity because they return home to face a team that has lost three of its first four games to start the season and has an average margin of loss that sits at 24.3 points, third-worst in the NFL.

But Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier is not one to allow his team to overlook an opponent. After all, he leads a group of players who were largely overlooked before the season started, and now they sit atop the NFC North with Chicago after a quarter of the season.

“Our guys are focusing in on a big ballgame for our football team against the Titans,” Frazier said at the beginning of his customary Wednesday press conference. “Playing at home in front of our fans is always something we look forward to. When our fans get into it, like they often do, it’s difficult for opposing teams.

“And we’re going to need great fan support on Sunday against a team that, despite their record, they played some very good teams, they’re a much better team than their record shows. Our players know that from watching tape, and we’re going to have to play our best game of the season in order to be successful at home on Sunday.”

Frazier makes a good point. While the Titans have won just one of four games to this point, they’ve played a difficult schedule – New England, San Diego, Detroit and Houston. Three of those teams made the playoffs last year, and it won’t surprise if at least three of them make the playoffs this year, too. Three of those four teams rank in the Top 10 in margin of victory and points allowed, and two of those teams – New England and Houston – are Top 5 in offensive points.

The Vikings have won two of their three games this year as underdogs, so you can be sure that this group of players will not overlook any opponent, regardless of record. Frazier pointed to veteran leadership as a reason he thinks the Vikings will be able to avoid complacency.

“I think we have good leadership on this team,” Frazier said. “We have veteran guys who know how quickly can change in our League. You have to seize the moment, and they’ve done a good job of explaining to our young players that we have to seize this opportunity.

“It’s so early in the season, and we’ve all seen teams that have gotten off to good starts and they’re nowhere to be found when December rolls around. We don’t want to be one of those teams. We know we have a lot of work to do, we know we have a lot of improvement to make. But all of us have been around long of us to know that there are no champagne bottles being popped in September. We have to be smart.”

Tags:

97 Responses to “Frazier Says Vikings Need Best Effort To Beat Titans”

1. By Carmen on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Leslie Frazer: a very wise man…

2. By Troutdaddy on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Agreed- we have to play smart. Let’s hope that Musgrave has some “Mix-it-up” in his play book for our offense this week so that predictability is stiffled. I would love to see our D sack the QB 7-8 times too. How about a few interceptions as well. I know Ponder is going to keep playoing smart, now let’s see if the rest of the team can match that.

3. By RichardA1 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Guion, Griffen stepping up and playing at a higher level has made a difference, makes the whole D line 10 times better! The Purple Munchers Defense are a force to be reckoned with!! Vikes going to turn the Titans into the Titanic, there going down!

4. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

The key is stopping Kenny Britt, Nate Washington, and Kendell Wright.

Since Britt is their #1 guy, Cook will be matched up against him.

Kendell Wright is the #2 guy, J-Rob should be able to contain him.

Finally Nate Washington is in the slot, Winfield will have him on lock. (I hope)

5. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Oh yea, I forgot about their TE Jared Cook.

Hes an athletic freak, expect him to have a big day. But anyways hopefully we play the Titans the same way we played the Lions…PRESS COVERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. By Muskyfever on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

All I hope is that the vikes really step up this week. As stated in the paragraph this team is much better then their record shows. We can’t go into this thinking we got this… when that happens we almost always lose… We need to think of them as another team like the 49ers. Yes we have the 12th man, but teams win on the road all the time. I do beileive that the Vikings fans pride themselves on being some of the loudest in the NFL. But we really need our Pass Ofence to have a good game. Also AP being back on track helps A LOT. Once we establish that run game (which we should be able to do) I look to Ponder to have a big game off play action. Who knows maybe we will see another 150+ game on the ground for MR. BEAST MODE. Hopefully we can get some confidence back in Toby as well.

Either way it should be a great game. We need to continue to win in the beginning of the season so we have a fighting chance when we face DET, PACK, and CHI 5 times in 6 games…

Though the Packers aren’t what they were last year… They still scare me and I still hate them…

7. By Muskyfever on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Oh, I look for Harrison Smith to get his first INT of his young career as well. I think it is his time. I am not sure what the rest of you think, But I think we have a STAR starting to shine bright, and will for many years to come in H. Smith

8. By Bruce in Montana on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

vikes win 24-12

9. By SoCalVike on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

H. Smith reminds me of Joey Browner,I love that hunter mindset…

10. By celticvikingwarrior on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

@ SoCalVike….from another “SoCalVike” (Burbank/No. Hollywood) I’ve been doing the same thing since the last game, Orlando Thomas NO, Robert Griffith-some, but I keep coming back to Joey Browner.
    Despite the S.C. Notre Dame thing they are just too much alike and I love it. Looks like we have our next decade plus, GREAT safety…..

11. By rory from n.w.ark on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Harrison Smith is flat out a stud ,secondary play improves each week,line has really bowed up, keep it up guys and we wont have to score 40 points to win our devision games,Green bay has shown a weak off line ,the Seattle game showed what can be done to Rodgers, we k now getting Cutler razzled and he makes mistakes ,so what this all shows me we keep improving we keep winning against anybody…..

12. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Press coverage…Yes…But I would like to see J Rob manhandle Britt those first 5 yards off the line of scrimmage…

Britt is still nursing a tender ankle…Might not take much from a more physical corner..To wear down Britt early…

Once J Rob takes some of the fight out of Britt…Then have our best cover corner in Cook blanket him the rest of the day…

13. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I am not so worried about J Cook causing to much trouble for us this Sunday…

Receivers beware of the middle of the Vikings secondary…Hits are coming from some solid safety play…And from the LB core…

This defense is beginning to gel…Lets add some high volume crowd noise again this weekend fans…And lets have some FUN !!!!…

14. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Ponder on the injury report…again. This time its a knee; was limited in practice.

15. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Will Cook ever get an interception? :(

16. By tomcat on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I`m jazzed at the Vikes being 3-1 at this stage! We have some very winnable games the next few weeks. Matter of fact, I`m thinking the whole schedule ls. I was predicting 6-10 in the preseason, now maybe 11-5! Barring injuries, ofcourse. The best part about it this team is being built for the long haul. We`re going with the kids, instead of quick fixes like Burress or V.Jackson. That is how we built the teams of the mid 70`s and the 90`s. Remember most all of our H.O.F.ers were draft picks. The same thing is happening now. A.P.,Percy, Kalil, Smith, Kyle, Griffen, Robby,(both) C.P, and more have a chance to reach that level. I`m not saying all these guys will, but I guarantee you`ll see `em in some pro- bowls! Skol Vikings!!

17. By BlueBird7 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

He will, if he is on his toes.

18. By BlueBird7 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Alol Cook has to do is stir the pot.

19. By BlueBird7 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

All he has to do that is.

20. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Frazier will go down as the best Vikings head coach– EVER!!!

21. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Frazier– I believe in you.

22. By RichardA1 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

What was Toby’s excuse for 3 fumbles? how could he? 3?

23. By Muskyfever on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe that we put him in there after the second one… Ok yeah, first one you get a redemtion… second one… you get benched. I don’t know what happeend to him there, but I do know he does not drop the ball. He is not that kind of player. He is a smash and crash type of runner, but he is the one doing the smashing most of the time. Peterson is a beast. But if you told me I had to get hit by AP or Toby and I had the choice to choose which one… I think I would have to “Ponder” that for a while

24. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

When we get to the playoffs after a 3-13 season, some of you will still complain about Frazier. Unreal. I can imagine being around some of you during a typical day in your life– nothing is ever satisfactory or great in your eyes– it could be a beautiful sunny day and you would mention that the sun is too bright.

25. By Viking33 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Harbaugh put a Coach wammy on Toby – No worries he will be fine.

I hope people think Griffen is a ghost again this game – I love it when that guy doesn’t get blocked.

Get Jerome going and make teams back off of Percy and AP – then things are gonna get all crazy up in the Dome!!

26. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

This is an awesome season, especially after the last two– BE THANKFUL AND ENJOY, PEOPLE!!!

27. By Parkway on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Blind enthusiasm yayyy

28. By celticvikingwarrior on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Frazier as “greatest VIKINGS coach of all time”… I can only hope and pray, however do think that maybe, just maybe we could get to a playoff game first, never mind win one, and never mind going to 4 super bowl’s in 7 years.
    People are still screaming for his head as he’s not exciting or animated enough, forgetting that our, at least to this point “greatest coach ever” was precisely the same way….

29. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Parkway- I know who you are…

30. By celticvikingwarrior on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I too believe in him as I do Musgrave and Alan Williams, Pfiefer and others.

Musgrave is doing what is necessary to match Ponders skill level at this time and to build his confidence as well. How he is calling play’s now is NOT how he will be calling at the end of the season or next year etc. (new players i.e. WR, Ponders confidence level and so on)

Even if it drives me crazy sometimes…..

31. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Parkway, not exactly young man. You take your negative cronies and play elsewhere. Those who know how to navigate life successfully understand of what I speak– the rest blindly enjoy attacking what is not within their mental grasp.

32. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Titus- when will Cook get his first pick?

33. By DeerTracks on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer,,,Would or could it be H.M.G. or iaVike/dark30/

Maybe The Easter Bunny? So many to choose from.

34. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

…Why is your name DeerTracks? What does it mean?

35. By DeerTracks on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Spencer,,,Cook will get his first pick when the cows come home.

36. By DeerTracks on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, my name is DeerTracks because it matches your name.

You were maybe named after Spencer Tracy the great movie actor?

He was great, you I am not quite sure of.

37. By Parkway on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Who am I spencer

38. By Parkway on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Titus- Don’t try to confuse yourself. Not everyone can get into Mensa.

39. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Presidential debates tonight..you ready for it Parkway?

40. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Why cant you just give me a straight answer DeerTracks?

41. By T.HARRIS on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Whatever Vikings fans gel together like the team one game at a time.VIKES ON 3…VIKES

42. By RichardA1 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Face it, you’ve been a fan of the Vikes for a long time, you dream of going to a Vikes game and having a purple people muncher toss you up a arm or leg of the oponnet so you can eat like your Purple hero’s!!!

43. By Parkway on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I don’t need to hear ‘nati vs ‘nati try to beg for our votes so they can pass more legislation to take away our freedoms etc etc so I’m going to pass on the debates Spencer. Hopefully we can stay false flag free between now and January.

44. By DeerTracks on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer.. Define a straight answer, If you have trouble doing so, ask Titus.

45. By iaVIKE on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Probably cause Deertracks can’t even keep his multiple names straight anymore. Bluebird7/The Gray Fox/Apple Tree/No Name/Cotton Tree ect….

Cue the random, moronic posts that he’ll write under my name now.

46. By DeerTracks on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Parkway…Spencer is who he thought he was..Denny Green told him.

47. By Vikeman56 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Wow H.M.G hasn’t shown up and started ripping on Wobby. Its a miracle.

48. By iaVIKE on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Moronic Poster First Class. Any other names I missed? Titus, Mountian Goat,
    Tree Limb, Foggy Bottom, Rainbow, June Bug, ect

49. By iaVIKE on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Vikeman55There is a good one, While I am at it, lets add H.M.G. to the list Give me some time to rest my brain, what little is left, and I will continue my search for other innocent prople.

50. By celticvikingwarrior on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

@ Vikeman56…TESTIFY!!!!
    I almost used that name as I was born in 1956 and am 56 years OLD….where did it all go????????????

Been away for a couple days, glad to see we resigned TE Alan Reisner to P.S. He looked like a very good prospect in preseason….

Also glad to see Jamarca Sanford seemingly playing much better than he ever has.

51. By OTKalil2012 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Locker out…Hasslebeck in…

52. By H.M.G. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

@Vikeman56
    I could easily start insulting Wobdingo but it will not change anything. You all will continue to believe his sh!t smells like roses. Enjoy the site when Wobschall puts limits on you all once again.

53. By H.M.G. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

But since I can no longer express my feeling about the Wobby. I will take a page out of Old Rocksalts’ book and turn into robo fan # 011001

54. By H.M.G. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Vikings Win bee boop bop. Titans lose bop boop beep. End of transmission boop bop beep.

55. By odark30 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Once again i get injury info on Ponder from another web site. Knee this time.

56. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Obama is getting beat big time in the debate!

57. By odark30 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

please………………………….

58. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Romney 34, Obama 3

59. By H.M.G. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Ponder knee injury bad beep bop boop. Very bad bop boop beep. End of transmission.

60. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Obama just kicked a field goal. Romney 34, Obama, 6

61. By H.M.G. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Humanoid
    Machine
    Gabber

62. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Romney– TOUCHDOWN on mortgages

63. By H.M.G. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Romney is hero of Robots beep bop boop. End of Transmission. System Shut Off. BEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee…

64. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Obama just said– Romney said Obamacare was not bipartisan, I disagree– in fact originally it was a Republican idea— HA HA HA HA – Obama just lost!!!!

Romney 48, Obama -12

65. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Do we want a man who understands business and is successful helping the economy, or a law professor who wants to socialize and destroy incentives?

66. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Parkway=Shawn.

Without a doubt in my mind.

67. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

And HMG

68. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Obama said– Romney you say you want to do this, that, but no details.
    Romney responded with strength and passion– if it is my way or the highway, I will not get much done– I am speaking of principles and the how to will come when Congress and I work out the details together– man, Romney is so much better a choice!!!

69. By H.M.G. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

H.M.G. is himself no one else bop boop beep. Although there have been mass produced models beep boop bop. H.M.G. is not responsible for his copies actions boop bop beep. End of Transmission.

70. By H.M.G. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

H.M.G. entering sleep mode bop boop beeeeee……..

71. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Shawn used to bee bop all blog day long. HMG + Parkway = Shawn

72. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Whats up with all the gay names on this blog. “Purple Polar Bear Power?” wow.

73. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Spencer — you like my name? Well, thank you!

74. By vikes or die on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Thank God this game is at home. We play much better a home and the crowd noise can give us that edge we need to take advantage of. This game worries me a little. I agree the Titans are better then there record shows. They have talent and Hasselback is going to want to have a great game. He’s a very good QB, but lets just hope our front for dosent allow him to make any noise.

75. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I am a Democrat and I have to admit Romney brought his A game tonight. I think Romeny really wants to do the right thing, he just can’t bring himself to believe democrats have it.
    Mr President you had get better at making the vision of a strong middle class known or we are toast. The Republican leadership has said they don’t care who is president as long as they can get the president to sign it.

76. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Well, Spencer I am neither rep or dem– I have voted for presidents from both parties. I must admit I thought Romney would not do well in the debates, but truthfully, he did well– in an honest and neutral as.sessment, I would have to say Romney won the debate.

77. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Without a doubt Romney won that round, he came across as Presidential, a leader, someone with experience. Hopefully Mr.President can rebound on October 11th.

78. By Spencer on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Cook gets a pick-6 Sunday.

BOOK IT!

79. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

The president looked sheepish.

80. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I think the VP debate will be one of the most lively in years and the democrats may not do so well there. I have a prediction Biden will lose his cool.

81. By skol_vikes98 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Come on guys its a football blog: can we lay the politics aside?

82. By bcgrealestate on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I’m not Shawn

83. By HCG. on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I Vote Turtles. Stay on topic!!!!!! Hahahahaha………………………………suck it.

84. By HCG. on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Turtle

85. By Ozzinator on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Right on Purple Polar Bear Power and Titus, Romney nailed it. Clear choices this November.

86. By Meekay on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Never really understood this mentality. It’s a professional sports team. They should be giving thier best effort everytime they step out on the field. When would they not need to play thier best to win?

87. By Parody on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Meekay – It’s just instilling a mentality that they shouldn’t overlook this team. The Titans are arguably the worst team in the league, and with our current wins our guys may get too arrogant about their chances. Sometimes everyone needs a little reminder for this kind of thing.

88. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Vikings don’t need to bring their best game to win this, just bring a good game and do lots more on offense, the passing game!

89. By Muskyfever on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings most defiantly need their A game. The Titans scored 44 points two weeks ago against the Lions, we only scored 20 against the lions, thats a 24 point difference. When is the last time we scored 44 points in a game?? 2009?? We need the A game to win this one.

90. By Muskyfever on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

My Titans predictions are as follows…

Jerome Simpson – three down field chances, 2 caught 1 miss for 50+ yards total.

Percy Harvin – Generally quiet afternoon, but still 20 yrds rushing, 40 recieving and a TD.

ALL DAY – finally breaks one for TD 30+ yards. 130yrds in this game plus 2 TDs

Harrison Smith – First INT of his young career

VIkings win 31 to 27 over the Titans

91. By Erik the Red on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

I think it’s funny how no one has mentioned Chris Johnson, unless I missed a comment. He had a good game last week, gotta make sure we bring him down to scale again.

92. By celticvikingwarrior on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

It TRULY breaks my heart to see reasonably intelligent men of the great state of Minnesota, my home state falling for the ASTONISHING AND SO OBVIOUS B.S. of a republican “businessman” who made his money on the backs of and at the expense of the “middle class”.
    He cares NOT ONE SINGLE IOTA about any of us, his ONLY concern is with how much money he can take from you, or make off you, and with the power and prestige the FORMERLY great office and title of President of the United States.

It’s no wonder that the stadium took so long and almost still lost, and made my home state the laughing stock of the league….

93. By David on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully we open the offense up a little this week. Can’t sit on 14 point leads in this league. They got lucky it held up last week just run your offense

94. By Vikes187All on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Can we stop fn talking about the election. Who gives a rats but. Lets talk football. Vikings win with most points of the season. 31-21 SKOL Vikings

95. By Rudso on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Erik, no one is talking about Chris Johnson is because he won’t be a factor with our run defense. Ya he might break a 50 yarder because he has speed but he is not going to have a steady good game where he picks up chunks.

The Vikings need a blow out type of win and I’m hoping this is the game they do it. We need a win where the second string QB comes in for the other team, probably not going to happen considering the Titans QB situations but you know what I mean.

We have a great opportunity to stack up on the W’s now so we can afford some L’s later in the season when we play the Packers and Bears. Either way, can’t wait to watch this game. Time for the offense to step up and carry the team for a game.

96. By MrObjective. on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

This team or nucleus clearly has a form of chemistry some of the power house teams in the league don’t. this is a young team, the defense will improve, ponder will improve, peterson is still not 100 percent and will improve – progressively throughout the season. Simpson was ponder’s favorite target in training camp so I expect that there will be more points out of the offense when necessary. by that i mean when other teams start putting points up on the board. so far, the 49ers and lions could not. Until then the formula that the coaches have put together is working to perfection with the players they have installed to run it. they could still be in first place, heading into their last 6 games, 4 of which include the bears and packers. The only non divisional game that looks like trouble in the next 6 games is the redskins on the road. They also have 4 winnable home games and 1 road game is in Seattle. this team is built to stay with teams that are expected to beat them and struggle to blowout the teams that they are expected to beat. for that reason it is difficult to assume they will lose to washington on the road and beat settle but it is not unreasonable to do so and, for the same reason, it is not out of the question that they lose to seattle and beat washington. Never the less, if they hold home court and win the 5 of the next 6 games they are favored to – that puts them at 8-2 heading into the last 6 games of the season and in control of their fate. Either the bears or the packers or both will be within striking distance at that point and experience may trump momentum but if the vikings can atleast earn a wildcard that would be an incredible benefit for them in the form of experience and that’s when you start looking at them as contenders the following year.

97. By TylerC on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

LETS SHOW JAMARCA SOME LOVE HERE!