Quick-Starting Vikings Blitz 49ers, Win 24-13 At Home

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 23, 2012 – 3:59 pm

Not many teams looked better than the San Francisco 49ers through the first two weeks of the 2012 season, but the Vikings prepared all week to change that. On Sunday at Mall of America Field, the Vikings preparation paid off in a big way. After jumping out to an early 7-0 lead, the Vikings never looked back as they blitzed the heavily-favored 49ers and came away with a thorough 24-13 victory.

“Our preparation this week was on point,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said after the game. “The way we prepared this week, you knew that we were going to play good football. I didn’t say that to our team before we played Indy (last week). We did not handle the success against Jacksonville the right way. And I mentioned that to our players during the week prior to Indy. We came back this week and our guys were locked in. They were focused throughout the week and it showed in the way we played.”

The Vikings outstanding preparation definitely showed right off the bat, as Christian Ponder and the offense methodically drove down the field on the game’s opening drive. When all was said and done, Ponder found TE Kyle Rudolph for a 1-yard TD on 4th and goal to cap a 16-play, 82-yard drive that took 7:40 off the clock. The drive featured balanced playcalling, with 8 rushes and 8 passes, and it included only three 3rd-down plays.

San Francisco QB Alex Smith and his offense couldn’t match the execution on their first possession, as they were forced to punt away after just one 1st down. It was clear at that point that San Francisco was in for a day-long battle against the Vikings. The Vikings and 49ers exchanged punts after that, and then San Francisco got on the board with a 29-yard FG by David Akers.

Ponder, in the midst of perhaps his best game as a pro, responded following the 49ers FG. He drove the Vikings offense once again through the fierce 49ers defense, this time going 80 yards in 11 plays and capping the drive with a 23-yard TD sprint right through the heart of the 49ers defense. That score gave the Vikings a 14-3 lead with just 5:39 to play in the 1st half.

The 49ers offense gained some rhythm on the following drive and looked as if they’d be able to help the team carry some momentum into the locker room at halftime. They drove from their own 24-yardline to the Vikings 25 in 11 plays to set up Akers for a FG with just a minute play in the half. But the Vikings got a fantastic push up the middle and DT Letroy Guion extended his arms to block the kick, which gave Ponder and Co. possession on their own 33-yardline. Eight plays later, Blair Walsh came on to salvage a late-half score by splitting the uprights on a 52-yard kick. Walsh’s FG – the 3rd consecutive game he’s converted a FG of 50+ yards (Vikings record) – gave the Vikings a 17-3 lead at halftime.

San Francisco came out fast in the 3rd quarter, as Kyle Williams returned the opening kickoff 94 yards to the Minnesota 14-yardline. But the Vikings defense rose to the occasion, forcing the 49ers to settle for a 29-yard FG. The Vikings went 3-and-out on their next drive, and the 49ers filled the building with anxiety by driving 86 yards in 9 plays to score on a 1-yard TD from Alex Smith to TE Vernon Davis, making the score 17-13 in favor of the Vikings.

As they did most of the day, though, Ponder and the Vikings fought through the 49ers defense to produce points. Ponder found Rudolph for another TD – this time from 2 yards out – to cap a 12-play, 86-yard drive that took 7 minutes off the clock. At that point, the lead was 24-13, and the Vikings defense took it from there.

The 49ers following 5 drives ended in a lost fumble that was forced by S Jamarca Sanford and recovered by LB Marvin Mitchell, two punts, an INT by CB Josh Robinson and then another lost fumble that was forced by DE Jared Allen and recovered by DE Brian Robison. After the sack-forced-fumble by Allen, the Vikings offense took the field in the victory formation.

The Vikings defense was paced all day by LB Chad Greenway, who finished with 13 tackles and 2.0 sacks. CB Antoine Winfield was credited with 8 tackles, and both Sanford and fellow S Harrison Smith had 6 stops each. Sanford came in to replace starter Mistral Raymond, who went down with a leg injury early in the game.

Ponder finished the day going 21 of 35 for 198 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs (94.7 passer rating). Percy Harvin was Ponder’s favorite target, as he hauled in 9 of the 11 passes thrown his way for 89 yards. Rudolph had the 2 TDs on 5 receptions for 36 yards. It may not have been sensational, but the Vikings running game was solid against one of the best run defenses the NFL has seen in recent memory. Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Harvin and Ponder combined for 146 rushing yards on 41 carries.

The win moves the Vikings to 2-1 on the season as they prepare for a road contest against the Detroit Lions this week.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

99 Responses to “Quick-Starting Vikings Blitz 49ers, Win 24-13 At Home”

1. By Don_Pisto on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I can tell that yes indeed they had an excellent week of practice. The team looked prepared. Excellent job.

Now Toby, here, hang on to this football for the rest of the week …

And Carlson, stand over there and catch the ball a 1,000 times from Webb

2. By purplehaze1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

have to say…after the horseshoe game…i never thought they would find gold against the 9ers…one MF happy fan here. the only blight on this day…my cable subscriber up here in Canada grabbed $129.00 from me for the NFL Sunday ticket; the only carries 5 of the 9 early games…never got to see CP and company do the job on Moss’ employer…tomorrow…someone has got some ‘splainin’ to do!!!
    for now…loving the W…bring on the kittens…BAAAAARRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM…GO VIKES!!!

3. By RichardA1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I told yuh, we could and did kick there ass!!! I got a nick name for the D, the “NO MERCY” Defense, what do yuh think. we just went berzerk all over the pick axer’s!

4. By RichardA1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

They is who we thought they were! welcome to 2012 49ers!

5. By Metalpooh on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I didnt catch the game, but has John Carlson done anything in the games the Vikes have played so far? Why did we get rid of Shiancoe for this guy?

6. By RichardA1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Kyle Rudolph can play! he’s going be on the team the Vikes bring to the Superbowl!! did you see the one handed catch! he’s got what it takes, probowl if he keeps this up.

7. By Purple Polar Bear Power on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Lions will be 1-3 if the Vikes beat them– we need to be ready and play hard, maybe harder and better than today. Lions will be desperate.

8. By RichardA1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Awesomeness…we get a deep threat to add to the attack next week with Jerome Simpson able to play.

9. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Vikings are the best young team in the whole league. And what did I tell everyone? That the leaders would be fired up and scream at everyone to man up. Apparently a few of them did that over the week– giving serious talks to the team. We are on the road to the promise land.

10. By Bluebird7. on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

This had to be one of the best games I have seen the Vikings play in a looong time, despite the efforts of the Game Officals giving the 49ers Five Timeouts on flag calls. Also, the play calling on giving Toby Three trys to give the ball to those Niners!

Now lets see if this GOOD Team can carry the game to the Lions next week!

11. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Stop me fellow bloggers– stop me please. I just wrote a post, but stopped myself– on the Green Bay site blog. I will not stoop to that level. Besides, it is like stepping into an unclean public restroom– don’t want to dirty my keyboard.

12. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

As Obama likes to say: Let me be perfectly clear- I wrote, but did not post.

13. By Baba-Kluwe on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I just have to say Hats Off to Alan Williams and our Defense. Holding any team, let alone the 49ers, to 13 points is just outstanding.

Way to go fellas.

14. By Dave on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

What a win!

15. By VA Vike Fan on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKIN BOUT!!!

16. By Don_Pisto on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

@Metalpooh

Here is Carlson’s contribution to today’s game: dropped a pass and weak blocking. So far for the season, zero catches, zero yards. Terrible investment. The dude must have the best agent ever …

17. By VA Vike Fan on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

THESE are my Vikings!

18. By DRS. on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I am very pleased to see the entire team showing up with their A Game. It is about time the coaches open up the game, passing makes it possible to run, see what happens when you trust your players and they trust you. Keep up the good work, coaches keep your eye on the ball and remember you are the leaders who must be there to direct the flow of the game, good to see you not standing on the sideline looking like a deer in the headlights of an on coming car.

19. By Don_Pisto on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

The key play of the game was going for it on 4th and goal! Even if they didn’t score, it was the right call to do. When playing a team like the 49ers, you just have to call those types of plays. The coaching staff got some redemption from me for that call, but negated it by keeping Toby in the game when he had fumble issues. Really wish they would of been handing the ball to Harvin instead. Nevertheless, incredible win!

20. By DRS. on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Go Vikings!

have a great day, bye.

21. By Metalpooh on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Cheers @Don_Pisto

on a more positive note, man, I had doubts about Ponder, but looking at his stats, he seems legit.

I miss having Shiancoe in the team, I thought he was good for the team and a decent player

22. By RichardA1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Ponder looked great, Greenway looked great.

23. By Parkway on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Rudolph=Manbeast, Musgrave finally realized that apparently

24. By xmasboy on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I lika the way Ponder played!!!

25. By Purplefailure on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Thank you. That was a great game to watch. Kudos to the coaches for having the team prepared for the 9ers. Shocked and stunned this fan.

Nice game Ponder, hope he keeps it up! Percy is still a beast. Rudy is special. The Defense didn’t blow it!! NICE!

Not going to the SB but that was something to be proud of. Smith’s no picks in forever streak = done, SF’s no rushing TDs = done.

26. By Baba-Kluwe on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, Rhett Ellison worked his @ss off in Training Camp and the Preseason. I thought that would’ve earned him some playing time.

I know it’s early on Carlson, but I’m starting to get that Bernard Berrian feeling. I miss Shanc too. He was great in clutch situations and was decent in the Red Zone.

27. By no1viking on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Every weekl, We can usually count on having good games by Greenway, Harvin, Allen, Well how about the contribution we are getting from our draft picks from the last 2 drafts, Ponder, Rudolf, Robinson, Welch, Smith, Kalil, We may not win the SB this year, but we are headed in the right direction. SKOL..

28. By Spencer on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I still cant believe we got an interception haha.

BAROOOOOOOOO

29. By Utley on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Toby is a former Harbaugh player at Stanford.. You dont think….. surely not…. right? I mean 3 consecutive fumbles.. WTH??

Great win and all you Ponder haters need to zip it and start supporting your QB!!!!!!!!

30. By vikingbob136 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Living in the southeast i don’t see any Viking games.
    But i listen to my Sirius radio every week.
    I have to say i am so impressed.
    Don’t anyone call a Dr but its gonna last longer than 4 hrs.
    Titus your shoe polish is in the mail.
    So so so happy!!!!

31. By tomcat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

i tell ya who else had a great game was brinks job. gore is gonna need a little body work after brinkley wrecked him a coupla times.

32. By Utley on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I hope everyone calls into KFAN and rips the common man a new one!!!! He was talking so much trash all week!!!

33. By tomcat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

now you can see what ponder can do when hes not running for his life! plenty more coming next week against a shaky defense!

34. By MN Packer fan on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

As a Packer fan I was pulling for the Vikes today. It was nice to see the 49er’s egos deflate before our eyes. Ponder looked solid and the defense looked stellar. Way to make the NFC North look tough, congrats on the win and good luck next week.

35. By habs001 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

This is the type of effort that has been lacking by the Vikings in most games in the last 2 years…The d provided an intense performance along with solid tackling…As fans it is never easy to take a loss but at least we can except it much better if we see that the team gave it a total effort which has not been the case in many games the last 2 years…

36. By vikingbob136 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

And don’t tell me Greenway isn’t the “man” on this team. 10 solo tackles and 2 sacks. I’m feeling too good right now. Hope it lasts

37. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

HA HA HA– great job! Vikings best game! Ponder was awesome!! Twenty four hours ago most of these posts were– Vikings will be crushed! Frazier has to go, doesn’t have a clue! Ponder su.cks!

TRUE FANS STAY TRUE!

Join the revolution! Support your team and believe in them when they lose or win!!

38. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Great effort by the Vikings all around, not one bad point of their game today, can’t play any better than that. Next week we get to bring in Simpson for the Lions, He should be a good addition to the offense.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

39. By Rick on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I agree Titus it’s funny all the fire Frazier clowns aren’t on here excited about the win Ponder is the real deal smart qb and going to be a great player for a long time

40. By RichardA1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

A Upset, a upset? hey, look, we lost a game to, did we get special attention because we were upset! :) like they had to fly in 53 players mothers to hold there hand to walk them to the airplane, a upset, they must of brought the fool’s gold 49ers team!

41. By RichardA1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I wasn’t one of those fool’s Titus! I said the Vikes will need one soul representative to send out on the field while the 49ers huddled in the end zone and whimpered!

42. By 49ers Lost on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Incredible game, despite the awful 4th quarter mess.

43. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I know Richard– you were one of the few who believed before you saw– a true believer indeed. Now I am seeing playoffs in our future– this season. And what did I say the past few weeks– month or so? We would win the division and Green Bay would fall apart.

GO SEAHAWKS!

44. By dee jay born on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I thought the front 4 had to totally dominate for the Vikes to win.Man i was off.The whole defense stepped up in this one.Percy Harvin was the X-factor as usual.Ponder played a whole complete game.Great job all around guys.No let up like in week 2.Keep the momentum going.I can’t look too far ahead.Lions is next.Stay focused.

45. By Mike B. on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

What a great game today. The game plan was done well. It was excuted well. Ponder played well. The defense played well. Just goes to show on any given day one team can beat anohter. Where are you Ponder doubters now?

46. By chris_b on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

We play awsome today the coaches finally let our player loose and they proved to them they wont make mistakes. Hope they can keep it up and take out the lions with stafford or hill. Hopefully Hill.

47. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Streaker on the field on Sunday night football! I think it was Spencer.

48. By Bigfan1 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Outstanding!

49. By Baba-Kluwe on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Hey Titus, you were right about the Rams, they did almost nothing today.

50. By vikingsfan1955 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I even took the vikes on my yahoo pickem and was I right. i have to say this was a total tean effort and Ponder is the future. i don’t want to burn braed but no picks and what a great run for the td. To the D great stepping it up and secondary today you showed your potential.I told all of you that the coaches need time and don’t give up on them just as you tore them up for the past mistakes I want to hear you give them props when they do a job well done and today was their a game. Most will not agree but we are contenders and we have a good team and trust me there will be more great wins to come for us this yr. Guys I’m proud of you today and Ponder you will win a sb in the next 2 yrs I believe in this team and from the start this yr have gave my full suppor. Just think the compliment to harvin will be added next week, we beat detroit I don’t worry about gb they worry about us.

51. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I see TRUE FANS ARE COMING FORTH!!!

Come out, come out!

TRUE FANS ARISE!!!

P.S. — where are all the naysayers? I said you would have to tie my shoes for a week– where are you, my shoes need to be tied!!!

52. By South Carolina Troy on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Best all around game vikes have played in a long time.Ponder is playing smart. The defence really stepped up today. Congrats Leslie Frazier!!!!!!!!!

53. By PurpleNation on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

@ Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, The naysayers haven’t finished crying yet so you’re going to have to wait awhile unfortunately! :(

54. By jekinneys on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Mitchel looked great!!! Home Raymond is okay, but Sanford DOMINATED and made some great plays! Cook has got to quit getting beat every game, step up or get out. Robinson looks like a beast!

Looking to the draft already I see we have to get a receiver high in the draft as priority one and still need a proven vet. Ponder is looking incredible, but needs more then 2 good guys to throw too. AP will get it going if Simpson works out half as good as he should.

55. By tomcat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

is this too soon? sorry! vikings 31 kittens 24!

56. By Troutdaddy on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

For all of those who were whining and lacking the faith the last few weeks- I TOLD YOU SO!!! I said to belive and to cheer louder and let the gel happen and happen it did! Great game to watch and even better watching it with my 49er fan-family. Ponder is the real deal and our defense did an amazing job today. Rudolph is the man. So is Harvin, AP, Aroma and Walsh. I hope Gearhart can let his blunder at the end go. Coaches should have pulled him, patted him on the fanny after the first one and let AP finish it off, but I am glad that it did not end up costing us much grief. Randy “no Mas” Moss caught a few token easy ones, but I must say that our secondary did a good job at not letting him loose with one exception. We got lucky that Smith over threw him, but that was because of great pressure by our d-line.

57. By Troutdaddy on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Oh- one other call out, Winfield- what ever you said this week to the team that got them all hot and bothered- do it every single week!!! This team just showed the entire NFL nation that they are for real and than they can get it together and play against any team. Looking forward to Green Bay now as it is not going to go well for them either. You can quote me on that too just like you could quote me on this game. KEEP BLEEDING PURPLE…. Nuf said…

58. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I am not alone! But where are all the people who mocked those of us that said the Vikings would beat the Niners– I said by 10 all week– that was pretty close. Do I win something?

WHERE ARE ALL OF YOU THAT MOCKED TITUS? COME ON! BRING IT ON!
    Said Titus was drinking something or in lala land.

59. By Rye on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Great Game! Can’t wait to see the offense with WR Jerome Simpson coming back next week! Simpson, Harvin, Rudolph…. oh my! Think the vikings are going to be sleeper team if ponder and the secondary keep improving. Vikes need to be on top of their game next week and send Detroit to a 1-3 record!

60. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

We should all go visit the Packers site and pretend we are cheeseheads– and say, oh, my, Vikings look like they could beat us.

61. By BMF on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Titus,
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, but can you stop it with this talk of “true fans”. It’s insulting to me and I bet many others. Who are you to judge what is the appropriate way to be a fan? I have been a fan since the original Hail Mary. That’s about as early as I can remember anything. I have not wavered being a fan of the Vikings in that time. That’s probably longer than you’ve been around. But I’m also not into blind faith. Are you going to tell me I’m not a true fan? I understand you’re excited, but your talk of true believers sounds a lot like the talk of the Taliban and Al Qaida. Do you really want to create divisions like that?

62. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

BMF– it is your choice how to react– you want to divide, fine, be it on to you.
    I will define fan anyway I understand it. Get over it.

63. By Woodboat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I admit to being a Viking fan that didn’t give our team a realistic chance to beat the leagues Superbowl favorites, and man am I happy to admit I was wrong on this day. Great job by Musgrave taking the shackles off Ponder and letting the young man play. The line did an admirable job against maybe the leagues best front seven. Without really putting much pressure on Smith, the defense did a fine job of containing the niners (I now see what my niner fan friends mean when they say they’d like to see a QB change… quite a few missed shots this day by A Smith).

I did say that I would proverbially line up to tie the Arrogant Ones shoes if the Vikes won, so consider me knelt and your shoes tied. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. No further credit given to those that call for a victory EVERY week then fail to admit their error after a loss, however.

One of the best games I’ve seen in a while, and I was happy that my ailing father was able to watch it with me. It was a great day.

64. By vikingsfan1955 on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

bmf I will agree but thyat said it would be nice to see the trash talker show a little and give credit where credit where it’s due not lay back and say nothing it’s easy to critize the team but hard to say they were wrong and good game. I have said from the start of the regular season this is a good team and we have good coaches and in 3 games they are proving me right do I predict sb no but I do see the playoffs as a possibility and if we do make it to the playoffs we have a good of a chance as anyother team.

65. By Woodboat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

PS.

Is anyone still complaining about a wasted pick on a kicker? Blair Walsh doesn’t have ice water flowing through his veins, he is straight up cryogenic. Like to see about 3% more effort on the kick-offs, however. Make them step that back foot out of bounds, Blair!!!

3 straight games with a 50+ yarder, Vikes record. You sir, are the man.

66. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

And remember Woodboat, that clock was accurate within an atomic second– I predicted a win by 10– it was 11. Hmm, yes, bow down to the great one!

67. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Imagine a fan or any organization, person, what have you, who comes to watch that said entity perform– and before the performance begins, the fan whines and complains how horrible that organization or person will be— you s.u.c.k.

That is not a fan.

68. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Gots to go, Gang! Don’t cry, I shall return.

69. By Woodboat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

To those having the p!ssing match over which fan should give the other credit, give it a rest. As I said earlier, no credit given to blindly calling for a victory week after week then calling for those of us that think about the match up and make a somewhat objective decision to apologize and give you praise when the team does win.

Where were you optimists last year during a 3-13 season? Were you on here week after week apologizing for blindly calling for victories? No, you were not, so shut it.

You optimists and we realists, or even the pessimists, are ALL Viking fans. I haven’t missed a game since Directv first offered the Sunday Ticket (I live in California… making the game live isn’t in the cards…) and have rooted for them and rejoiced for them and cussed them with a passion every game. I’ve been a fan of the Vikes since 1972, when I first got interested in the sport.

Calling for a victory every week doesn’t make you a better fan than anyone else. I can’t imagine there is anyone else in the world that yells louder in their living room or at the bar or gets into a bigger rabid frenzy than I do, even when I expect them to lose.

70. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

All those words and you completely miss my point. Wow.

71. By BMF on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Fine Titus,

Do as you please. From my perspective I don’t care if you’re loud in regard to other teams, but it would be nice if you had some humility in relation to fellow Vikings fans. I guess that comes with age. What I find ironic is that you seem to like being a rebel, yet you want to tell everyone else how to behave.

I’ll do as I please as well. I guess I’ll be calling you Muhammad from now on, since you choose to be so righteous.

72. By Woodboat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Again, Titus, you miss the mark.

Said pessimist may whine and complain, as you put it, and they may think their team doesn’t have a chance. But, THEY SHOW UP and CHEER FOR THEIR TEAM, REGARDLESS. THAT is what makes a fan.

A fan shows up with a bag on his head to watch Archie Manning and the Aints play when they KNOW they are going to lose. Are you stupid enough to say those guys weren’t fans? Those guys, and all the people that voice complaints about their teams, are every bit the fan the blind zealots are that call for a Superbowl after each victory and make ridicuous statements concerning the ultimate supremacy of our players and coaching staff.

Grrr… I said would stop reading your posts. You are like a mosquito buzzing around after I shut the lights off to go to sleep. I want to ignore you, but you need to be slapped with a magazine so I can rest.

73. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I am sorry you feel that way, Woodboat. Just having fun.

74. By Woodboat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply
    All those words and you completely miss my point. Wow.

Actually, Titus, I was reading BMFs post and extrapolating from there.

Yours are much to arrogant for me to stomach on a regular basis. I am not sure what your point was other than there was probably some self-aggrandizement in there. That and if you don’t blindly support our team on everything they do, you aren’t a fan. This is the type of garbage I expect from your posts.

75. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

BMF, what comes with age is gray hair and a slowing body, but what comes with maturity is the revelation offense is the responsibility of the one who decides to receive it. None of my posts were more than generalizations without specific reference to individuals. If you say something to offend me, I choose not to take offense– that maturity comes with experience, wisdom, and age, but not necessarily age alone. Both you and Woodboat can attack me, that is fine. I apologize if you feel the need to act out, but not for my expressed thoughts, which is the nature of such a forum called a blog. It is a blog!

76. By BMF on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Woodboat,

Well said. I’m not looking to exclude others. Enthusiasm has its place. I just don’t want to be condemned by so-called “true fans” who suggest there is no room for “my kind”. I have the scars from years past to prove my loyalty to this team. I wish some would realize that honest acknowledgment of one’s weaknesses is one way toward a team’s improvement.

77. By Woodboat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Amen, BMF.

No, Titus, you don’t get off that easily. When you describe a certain trait/opinion that can be ascribed to a single or multiple individuals and then ridicule those that share that trait/opinion, you are, in fact insulting them. No points for generalization.

I could say that anyone that glosses themselves with the names of dead Romans is arrogant, that would be a generalization that you would certainly know was aimed at you. I don’t choose to attempt to hide behind a facade of feigned civility and mock innocence.

If I agree with you, I’ll let you know. If not, I’ll let you know that as well. I won’t throw a generalized “you s.u.c.k.” out there.

78. By Woodboat on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply
    I am sorry you feel that way, Woodboat. Just having fun.

Not that this is offensive in any way, and I appreciate the sentiment. This can also be quoted by the Packer trolls that show up here……

79. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

By Woodboat

Oops, my bad. I knew when I hit post that might not have been clear– the you s.u.c.k. if you look at it, was an extrapolation of the “fan” attitude who belittles his team before a match. Not that I was saying that to any bloggers.

80. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

At any rate, you kids have fun. Daddy’s got work to do.

81. By NO WORRIES ! on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

wow !i think i found the sunday night fights…..

GO VIKES !!!!!!

82. By NO WORRIES ! on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

WAS HOPEING TO HEAR MORE TALK ABOUT THE GREAT GAME WE WON TODAY, NOT FANS SMARTING OFF TO EACH OTHER…. REMEMBER WE WON !!!!!!!!!!

83. By Rick on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Titus i gotta say i thought the vikings would get beat this week i’ll admit it i tthought it was gonna be a close game and part of me was afraid to watch the game but i’m glad i decided to be the optimist today and remember the pre season game against them the vikings moved the ball well against them then and think well they have a chance today we’ve seen how they can play this year when they get that fire under their belly and thats what i was hoping for today and they brought it i’ve said all along that they are a young team and are on the right path the coaching staff has young talent to work with and they are going to make mistakes and I believe that by the end of the season they will be a much different team than they started out they will be much more gelled together and i believe that 1 more good draft next year and we will be watching a playoff team year in and year out for quite a while but yes I admit i had doubts about this game but not about Ponder or the coaching staff

84. By Dave on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Vikings kick ass. Does anything top a Vikings win on a Sunday in the Fall? Skol!!!!!!

85. By Woodboat on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Rick…

read your post out loud, pausing to take a breath only when you reach a comma or period. I tried it… what a head rush.

Dave…
    there is probably something, but I can’t think what it would be…

No Worries…
    There is ALWAYS someone saying inflammatory crud on here and others that fire back. It ebbs and flows… and just when its peaceful, some Packer troll will come in here and light it up again.

86. By vikingsfan1955 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

woodboat I see we hit a nerve and I stand by every word I said. It’s funny how some many can rush to critize the team but not speakup when they play well. I see there are some that have said they didn’t believe we had a chance and then gave praise and to those I say I give you props. I never said the other side aren’t true fans so becareful where you point your finger.I was a believer last yr and took my lumps with every win I predict that was wrong and held my head hidh and never waverd.So if what I said bothered you so what the truth is the truth.

87. By Rick on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

@woodboat LOL!!!! I didn’t know this was an english exam and i had to use the correct punctuations i thought it was a blog :)

88. By viking181164 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

why is it a lot of you (phony), fans talk junk when they lose,and when they play well you still have some negative comments…bottom line any team can beat any team..all professionals…lets keep it going vikes hard game next week…

89. By viking181164 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

only problem i have is toby fumbling 3 times in a minute..cant let that happen

90. By cali_pack on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

watch mnf the see a real team
    titus a true dufus

91. By viking181164 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

you lost cali??

92. By viking181164 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

i know seattle is a good team

93. By cali_pack on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

rodgers on fire watch in primetime

94. By Stoney on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

You guys take Titus way too seriously! You should relax, perhaps something herbal would help.

95. By Troutdaddy on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

So- to defend Titus a little- those of you calling him out because he uses the term “True Fan”, I think he was just saying that true fans do not throw their team under the bus regardless of how bad they play or how bad it gets- they remain optimistic and don’t give up. Sure- as a fan you can whine and complain and call people out, but still do it repectfully and allow for growth. I don’t care how long you have been a fan- age doesn’t mean anything. Loyalty does. If you go back and look at the posts from pre-season and during the first 3 games, you will see several people who just continually came in here to moan and throw people under the bus without giving the team time to gel. I am sorry- but a loyal fan is willing to also be patient and there were many who didn’t fit in that category. I tend to lose patience myself. So my take is that it is all good as long as we all are cheering for our vikes and staying loyal and give the team a chance to grow into their potential without belittling them.

96. By viking181164 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

was that matt blair that blocked that field goal?

97. By vikingbob136 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

@ viking181164

I think it was Scott Studwell.

98. By viking181164 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

scott studwell ever block a field goal in his career..i know blair blocked lots

99. By celticvikingwarrior on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Titus…..I came on to congragulate you for sticking your neck out (repeatedly) having the courage of your conviction in picking our beloved VIKINGS to win against a team that VERY FEW gave a chance to be competative, let alone win.
    However, somewhere after reading your thirtieth or fortieth post congradulating yourself and calling everyone else out, among other thing’s, I changed my mind.
    All that gloating and bragging wore me out. I hope your back is O.K. from all the patting yourself…..
    I am probably the last one that should be pointing this out, but your action’s are far removed from the “Chriistian” thing to do, or way to behave that you so often remind other’s of….

p.s. Aromoshadu should be starting over Jenkin’s who can’t get open to save his life….
    CONGRATS VIKES, now forget about this game and concentrate on Detroit….