AD vs. MJD

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 5, 2012 – 2:57 pm

As mentioned in this morning’s entry that took a look at 10 storylines to follow this week, it’s unknown at this point how much Vikings RB Adrian Peterson and Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew will play on Sunday. Peterson is of course returning from a knee injury and did not see a snap this preseason, while Jones-Drew reported to the team earlier this week after a holdout that caused him to miss all of training camp and the preseason.

There was no more clarity added to either situation on Wednesday, as neither Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier nor Jaguars Head Coach Mike Mularkey would speculate too much on the role their starting RB would play in the season-opener. So the status of Peterson and Jones-Drew remains uncertain for now.

What is not uncertain, though, is that when Peterson and Jones-Drew are on the field, they are two of the best players at their position in the NFL. Both have claimed NFL rushing titles, and both average over 4.5 yards per carry. Since 2007, both Peterson and Jones-Drew rank near the top in several offensive statistical categories. The numbers are impressive…

2007-2011 Rushing Yards – NFL

1) Adrian Peterson – 402
2) Maurice Jones-Drew – 348

2007-2011 Scrimmage Yards – NFL
1) Adrian Peterson – 8,061
2) Maurice Jones-Drew – 7,950

Tags:

35 Responses to “AD vs. MJD”

1. By Ty on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Pretty much…even with the down season…AD has proven his stock as the best running back and hopefully will continue on his way to the HOF…Skol Vikings

2. By KoN on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Wow, I knew MJD was a good player, I didn’t know that he was that good though.

3. By RichardA1 on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I disagree totally, make Toby and Todman grind it out, if not Todman someone, it could be there chance to shine. Don’t chance AP getting hurt, we will need him later in the season!

4. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I just saw there is a game tonight.

5. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Thanks to Spencer.

6. By Spencer on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

You seriously didn’t know the NFL season started on Wednesday, Titus?

7. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, I have so many things going on– I didn’t even know it was Wednesday.

8. By Viking33 on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Whose idea was Mariiah CArey and No Doubt??? Who is this person that attempts to ruin football with these cream puffs singers they are always prancing around?? I am glad I can Record and Mute or I would be going nuts.

9. By vikingbob136 on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

All football entertainment (bands) suck. I never watch a game live. I fast forward through every commercial and watch every game in under 2 hrs. I even do this with the Super Bowl. I don’t start watching a game until 1-2 hrs after it has started. All that halftime nonsense is for the people with no lives.
    When Peterson runs for 1500 yrs this year,everyone who doesn’t bleed purple will be shocked.

10. By vikingbob136 on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah, i also turn off my phone so some bird brain doesn’t spoil it for me.

11. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Wow.

12. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Come on Eli!!!!

13. By Spencer on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

That National Anthem was turrible.

14. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Where is the D? Well, with the way the Boys’ receivers are playing, the D can take a nap.

15. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

UGH

16. By Viking33 on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Seems the replacement Refs do not call Pass Interference too much. But they call other weird stuff a lot more. That will take some getting used to.

17. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Eli is the best QB in the league!!!

18. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

YEAH!!! GIANTS ARE THE BEST!!!

19. By Spencer on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

…….No hes not.

20. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Eli is an elite quarterback at the top of the quarterback mountain.

21. By vman on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

AD ?

22. By Frederick Jones on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

Eli is not even the best in his own family!

23. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey– Fran Tarkenton reference! Awesome, except not a big fan of Romo.

24. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Fred– who in the Manning family has the most Superbowl rings? Case closed.

25. By Viking33 on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I would have argued against you Titus, until Eli broke me last year. The guy just gets it done when it needs to get done, regardless of the Rings, you cannot deny him his props. Eli is the best Manning

26. By Spencer on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

If you guys are saying Eli is better than Peyton then that means you are also saying Eli is a Top 3 Quarterback of ALL-TIME…

27. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Do you notice how Eli is soooooooooooo good at converting when others would choke?

28. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Eli is better than Peyton by a mile.

29. By Brad Childress' Mustache on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE TO RICK SPEILMAN:

MATT BROWN, SENIOR RUNNING BACK FROM TEMPLE UNIVERSITY, MUST LOOK AT FOR CONSIDERATION IN UPCOMING DRAFT. DYNAMITE RB WITH PUNT AND KICKOFF SKILLS. PERFECT THIRD DOWN BACK. TOUGHEST GUY ON THE FIELD. AMAZINGLY RESILIENT, A WARRIOR WHO NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE. AND I MEAN NEVER – WATCH THE GAME TAPE! HE NEVER GIVES UP ON ANY POSSESSION, AND FREQUENTLY CREATES SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. HAS A WINNING ATTITUDE AND UNDERSTANDS WHAT IT MEANS TO WORK HARDER THAN ANYONE ON THE FIELD AND PROVE DOUBTERS WRONG. THE SIZE OF DARREN SPROLES, BUT ACTUALLY MORE SLICK AND VERSATILE. MATT BROWN WOULD BE THE PERFECT THIRD DOWN BACK (PUNT RETURNER KICK RETURNER AS WELL) COMPLIMENT TO THE VIIKINGS BACKFIELD OF ADRIAN PETERSON AND TOBY GEBHARD.

30. By Spencer on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Well thats game.

31. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I knew the Cowboys would win.

32. By Titus flavorous bycyclous julyist on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I knew the giants would lose, I know everything. Just ask me, I’ll tell you

33. By Spoiler Alert on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I just read something interesting. Chris Kluwe is a Deadspin contributor. Remember Favre and his little texting issue? If I remember right, it was Deadspin who reported it first. I also remember that the contributor was un-named and there was some real mystery to who it was. Kluwe, as good a punter that he is, has opened his mouth a time or two when he should have kept it shut. Anyone else putting two and two together?? Could he have has something to do with it?

34. By Frederick Jones on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

Wow and wow again! Spencer answers your question the best, Peyton Manning is the #3 QB of all – time. (I a.s.s.u.m.e. these are statistics)

I think Archie was better than Eli.

Eli just happens to have been on a great team. You cannot go by championships alone, or Otto Graham would be the best followed by Bart Starr.

Bye the bye, who won that game? The Dallas Cowboys, and it was Tony Romo who threw three TD p@sses!!!

35. By ortopedia online on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

I’m extremely inspired with your writing abilities as smartly as with the format for your blog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s uncommon to look a great blog like this one these days..