Tentativeness Leaving, Confidence Building For Brinkley

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 22, 2012 – 10:30 am

The Vikings are relying on Jasper Brinkley to hold down the middle LB job this season (and many seasons in the future), which is an important position in the team’s 4-3 scheme. After missing all of last season and some of this year’s offseason program, some grew concerned about Brinkley’s durability and, subsequently, his ability to handle the task.

But after the first part of training camp and two preseason games, the Vikings coaching staff doesn’t seem to be sharing that concern.

The Vikings allowed too many rushing yards in their preseason debut against the San Francisco 49ers, surrendering 198 yards and 1 TD in the 1st half. As the middle LB, Brinkley encountered external criticism in the aftermath. Brinkley and the Vikings defense were much better the following week, though, as they surrendered just 68 rushing yards on 20 carries to the Bills in a 36-14 win. A big reason for the Vikings improvement against the run was the big step forward in performance by Brinkley.

“I thought he made tremendous leaps from the week before in game action against San Francisco,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said. “And what he did against Buffalo, you could see him begin to get his legs back under him. You could see the quickness and the burst that we’ve been wanting to see.”

As the Vikings work in a new middle LB, they’re also welcoming a new defensive coordinator in Alan Williams. And Williams liked what he saw from Brinkley last week, too.

“He played well,” Williams said. “He hustled, he ran around. I think Jasper is getting more comfortable with having to command the defense, making calls, making checks, getting people lined up. He is running extremely well, he played downhill a little bit better. We’re looking to see if he can do that in more of a consistent basis.”

Becoming a more consistent player comes with reps. After missing all of last season and parts of the offseason program, Brinkley is still working his way back into game form.

“When he tried to practice in the OTAs (Organized Team Activities) in the offseason, to have trouble then, that will plant a seed in your mind that, ‘I could be a guy that is going to struggle with injuries,’ and to see some of the tentativeness early on wasn’t a surprise,” Frazier explained. “But the more he has played, the more comfortable and the more confident he has become. We just have to keep putting him in those situations so he can just turn it loose and not be worried about getting injured.

“We’ll get him hopefully quite a few reps in this San Diego game so he can gain confidence and his teammates will continue to gain confidence in him as well but this preseason is a big deal for him with all of the time he has missed. They’re big for all of us because we’re counting on him to do a good job.”

Tags: , ,

191 Responses to “Tentativeness Leaving, Confidence Building For Brinkley”

1. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

First !!!..

Of less than 400…I hope ??

2. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@Freddy Jones
    Incase you missed it on the other blog. A breakdown of Logan Thomas

He has a better mental makeup than Cam. He wont be a guy thinking he is a entertainer and an icon. He is just a football player.

3. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Strange it wouldn’t let me post till after you so I thought it was not allowing posts.

4. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

As for the topic: I think Brink is overmatched. He is trying to just not mess up insteed of trying to make plays.
    Cole on the other hand is just making plays.

5. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

MLB…

Brinkley is going to be under a lot of pressure early this season to preform…Not to mention stay healthy…

I think Jasper can hold his own defending the run…

But can he handle pass protection ???…

6. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

The play of Guion and Williams could make Brinkley’s job easier this season also..

I think the middle of the front 4 will play very well this year…

IF ???…They can stay healthy…

7. By Mike B. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I am not convinced that Brinkley has enough on the Field time to direct the Defense. He’s has been often injured and just doesn’t have the playing time needed. I actually see Fraizer calling up EJ before the regular season starts. Again I could be wrong.

8. By Fran Tarkenton on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I’ve read the same comments over and over regarding Brinkley but has anyone thought to interview the man himself? I’d like his point-of-view on his apprehensions, progress, etc.

9. By Fran Tarkenton on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Seriously…a handful of plays against third-teamers does not qualify for a role that Brinkley has been groomed to do. If all the pre-season heros throughout the years fulfilled their 15-minutes of fame, Canton would need 100 more wings. Let’s be realistic.

10. By Richard1A on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I was out walking in my Viking clothes and got attacked by 5 or 6 of those charger players, I whipped my sword out and took care of all of them, these guys offered to shake my hand and when I did they had one of those rings on that jolts yuh, buzz’s. Now I’m sitting with my stein filled with drink in one hand and a giant turkey leg in the other wondering why they don’t play Solomon Elimimien more! he’s a linebacker, Lets keep Brinkley out, throw Elimimien in there and see what he can do! CHEERS

11. By bleeds purple on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

E.J. Henderson won’t be coming back ever, he’s finished. Jasper isn’t the future at Mike Linebacker neither. I truly believe that the vikes will draft our future mike in this years draft. Jasper will suffice for this rebuilding year, but he’s not the guy to get us to that long awaited promised land. Kalil, Ponder, Fusco, Sullivan, Rudolph, Harvin, Peterson, Gerhardt, Robinson, Allen, Smith, Greenway, and even Cook. That’s a strong, young nucleus for future success for years to come. One or maybe two players away from being really special for years to come and even a ring or two is in our future. We are so over due, I mean come on man, even the bucs and saints got theirs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. By bleeds purple on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Ellimien or whatever his name is isn’t the answer neither. He’s very undersized, overmatched (remembert only a CFL guy) and quite frankly not fast enough to cover that deep middle zone that in a cover 2 defense is so critical. A run stuffer is nice, but in a pass happy league were going about this all wrong. We need a mike linebacker with blazing speed, smarts, and good hands. IDK Audie Cole kinda intrigues me a little bit. He’s shown some flashes of brilliance and playmaking abilities thus far, only preseason I know but he looks hungry and willing to learn. More importantly, he’s has very deceptive speed for a big guy. Keep your fingers crossed boyz, Brinkley is so injury prone, and pass coverage skills are below average at best, I truly hope i’m being overzealous and he proves me wrong.

13. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Rats…Hope this guy can find ways to stay healthy…

14. By Spencer on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

FOR WHAT????? FIRE FRAZIER!!!!!!!!!!

15. By ozzinator on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Why Spence, Mistrial sucks!

16. By Spencer on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Mistral actually showed something last game, what has Sanford shown in the games hes started????? Zip, nada, nothing!!

17. By ozzinator on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

It was a fluke Spence………..

18. By T.HARRIS on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

P[KK]IN

19. By oDIm on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Jasper? Hope things work out,. I think Indy and Jax are looking like like they will kill our pass D, not to mention SF and DET. Are you .500 predictors counting on the 2-0? At least we will get good picks in next years draft…

20. By Spencer on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Raymond looks the best he’s looked since he’s played for us and they threaten to start someone else? You’d think there would be some sort of reward for doing well.

21. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Count down to the 53 man roster…

22. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Fran Tarkenton,

You might as well be Fran Tarkenton on this site!

23. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

H.M.G.,

Thank you for the article on the Virginia Tech. Quarterback.

I like big quarterbacks, but there is sometimes a concern that the qb may be too big.

If this Logan guy gets drafted high, but doesn’t play, will he suddenly become a 6’6″ 300′ quarterback? Then you have problems.

24. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Hey, maybe I’ll be Willie Mays the next time!

or Barack Obama

or Tiger Woods

or Britney Spears

y not?

25. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Injury updates.

26. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Future MLB will be drafted this coming year his name MANTI TE’O. Te’O is the man and fits the Golden domer theme. Plus he is a team first guy and I think he is a team Captain. He fits Spielman’s draft ideals. Manti Te’O will look great in purple.

27. By BusterCrab on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Titus

H.M.G.

Spencer

DeerTracks

Sherlock Holmes

Fred

OTKalil

28. By BusterCrab on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

take your pick, fred.

29. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

A breakdown of Audie Cole by Wes Bunting:
    Possesses the range to run sideline to sideline vs. the run game. He exhibits a great motor in pursuit, works hard and is a solid wrap up guy, but he needs to do a better job inside the box extending his arms in order to shed. Doesn’t have a ton of pop and too often leads with his shoulder into contact in order to anchor, but will struggle to get off blocks. Nevertheless, he reads and reacts quickly, picks his way through traffic and is quick to find the football. Gets a bit upright though when taking on blocks and can be overwhelmed through contact. Breaks down well on the ball, and will drop his shoulder under blockers trying to reach him off the edge and wraps well in space.

Impression: Played outside as junior and will kick inside as a senior. Looks better suited to play as a 43 OLB to me who has the skill set to start and play three downs for an NFL defense.

30. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@Frederick Jones
    Thomas is beleived to be one of the Top 2 QBs in college. When he does get drafted high by either the Jags, Cards, Browns, or Raiders he will start right away. It basically guranteed with the way the NFL is moving.
    The QB I like the most is Geno Smith West Virgina. Same as Cam and Logan but I beleive he has a stronger mental makeup as H.M.G. would call it.

31. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

If a player has a hard time adjusting to a new system that he is not familiar with…

Do you change the system for one player…Or ???…

I have yet to see anything from Carr that impresses this fan…

32. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

If Tyler Wilson can continue to develop down in Ark. after the end of Bobby P. He very well could be one of the top 3 QBs as well.

33. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I said it when he was signed Carr is very bad. The Carr they should have looked at was Brandon not Chris.

34. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I am not sure who questioned me on S Brandon Hardin but he likely is going to be the starter for the Bears at SS. Might have been Spencer awhile ago.

35. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@Fred
    Yeah there is always the chance they could turn into JaMarcus Russell (Raiders)

36. By Spencer on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Yes, that was me.

By Spencer on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply
    Roger are you still high on Brandon Hardin?

37. By Spencer on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

2 more days.

38. By SkolVikes98 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Some of these starts this week, such as Carr and Sanford…. are mostly to get more tape on these guys so they can shove them lower on the depth chart.

39. By Mike B. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I think they are giving Sanford one more look before deciding to cut him.

40. By Richard1A on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Solomon Elimimien undersized? thats what they said about Alan Page!

41. By Spencer on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

My mistake, it is 3 days. I am always a day behind on everything.

42. By Spencer on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

^^ Lol, everyone wants to impersonate me. But he|| cant even blame them, I am an awesome person.

But anyways, I get Sherals made the team? Look at this headline:
    “Minnesota Vikings: Marcus Sherels will return punts in season opener”

43. By odark30 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

If the Vikings staff IS deeply concerned about Jaspers durability, we would be that last to know. This article makes me question his motivation more than anything else.

44. By vikingmike on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I love it when the fans are smarter than the coaches. If Cole or Elliminen were better they’d be starting or see them play with the first teamers. Same with Henderson coming back.. No other team wants Henderson why would we. Frazier knows he needs to win this year so he isn’t going to show favorites. He’ll put the best players on the field.

That being said I don’t think Brinkley is a long term solution but hes probably the best we have.

45. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@VikingMike,

That is a reasonable deduction, that the coaches know best, and you are probably right.

It is possible for the coaches to be wrong sometimes, and fans love to try to second guess them.

46. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer,

Marcus Sherels will make good decisions with the ball, and that is crucial in punt return situations.

47. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@RichardA1,

Yes, they did say that Alan Page was too light late in his career. Page was 6’4″ 260′ coming out of Notre Dame as a 1st Round Draft Choice. Then he got down to 245 and won the MVP and Def. Player of Year, and had several All-Pro years.

His last few years he took up Marathon running with his new wife and got down to the low 220’s. Bud Grant didn’t like it, and sent Page packing to Chicago!!!

48. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

BusterCrab,

Am I supposed to identify you by one of those names? That would be fun, but I would need a lot more evidence!

Keep trying.

Beware though that someone is no using the good f.l.jones name besides me.
    Freddy is not freddy any more.

49. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Deep inside we’re all the same…same…same…

50. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

No, Fred, deep inside is where the differences lie–

51. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I think a lot of the fans are smarter than the coaches, but NOT in football.

52. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Tentativeness Leaving, Confidence Building For Brinkley

What is wrong with this title? How can it be made better?

53. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Should people own exotic pets? I saw some of this show called fatal attractions from animal planet– my mouth was dropped open in awe of these people (not in admiration, mind you).

54. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

JONES still thinks it’s a long way to the top if you want to win the SUPER BOWL!!!

55. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Let’s try not to get to excited or depressed in these early games. We may not see Simpson and Peterson play together until the 4th regular season game…if at all!!!

8-8 it may simply be fate!

56. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I agree Fred: Let’s not get too excited. Henry Ford said whether you expect to succeed or expect to fail, you are right. So, I expect to see the Vikings in the playoffs this year at 10 -6 or 11-5.

57. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

One thing, though– IF we do poorly and come out 3-7 at the BYE– IF, I doubt it, but we do have a lot of youth and we are in a tough division– so IF it happens, I hope the fans do not go cuckoo and start waving Fire Frazier signs at the dome. Patience people– we are on the right path–

58. By Woodboat on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I don’t mind holding the coach responsible… if he is. I believe we will see a lot of improvement from the players this year, and I hope to see improvement from the coaching staff as well. I blame much of the struggles of last year squarely on the coaching staff. You can’t lose game after game when you go into half time with a 20+ point lead. That’s simply being out coached. No other way to look at it, in my mind.

I expect that Coach Frazier learned a lot about being a head coach last year, and will enjoy watching him progress in that capacity this year.

I like your optimism, Titus. I hope you are right, but I’ll be pleased if we can go 8-8 and show promise for next year.

59. By Woodboat on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Fred has it right… we may lose quite a few games early on, or we may not. Regardless, take pleasure in watching these guys grow game by game. I really think that the team is on the right path… it just happens to be a long path. If we don’t make it to the playoffs this year, no big deal. The NFC is tough again this year. My money is on the possibility of the team making it next year… and many years to come.

All kind of hinges on Ponder and Brinkley.

60. By Woodboat on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply
    Tentativeness Leaving, Confidence Building For Brinkley
    What is wrong with this title? How can it be made better?

Kind of reminds me of something Mr. Furious might say in Mystery Men (great superhero spoof, if you haven’t seen it…)

61. By Woodboat on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I think that there is one area that fans have an advantage over the coaches… probably the only one.

We haven’t formed friendships with players and therefore those non-existant friendships don’t cloud our judgement of a players abilities.

Frazier really liked McNabb and Asher Allen as men, so gave them way to much rope.

62. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Woodboat, are you referring to my post or Fred’s?:

By Woodboat on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply
    Fred has it right… we may lose quite a few games early on, or we may not.

63. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I think fans can think outside the box and believe they can see better options and strategies, but I hope these coaches who live and breathe football for a living know more than any of us– we may occasionally see something better because we are outsiders.

64. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

If you can not believe in yourself how can you believe in others?
    So as long as Ponder believes in himself we should do fine.
    As long as Fraizer believes in himself he will do great.
    We all know AP believes in himself so watchout.

65. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Vikings will be great this year and next.

66. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

The plan is in place now all they need to do is follow it.

67. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

We know what kind of players Spielman/Frazier are looking for. High energy, hard working, team leaders. So taking that into account the Vikings will select MLB Manti Te’O in the first.

68. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Te’O would make evryone forget about E.J. Henderson.

69. By H.M.G. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

*everyone*
    Stupid sticking buttons.

70. By Mike B. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I think some over estimate how young and inexperienced we are at key positions. I think the team will improve from last year, which had a lot of vets. Optimisicaly I would agree that 8-8 would be a great improvement. I am still sticking with the 5-11. I don’t see us winning a single divisional game. I do hope I am wrong about that.

71. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

H.M.G. Actually it’s your brain that is sticking.

72. By QB on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Unless we improve key positions, like LB and WR, I think we are really gonna struggle when the season starts. I’m very concerned about LB. I hope I’m wrong.

73. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Last year…I saw a team at the beginning of the year you could see would struggle…

McNabb for a QB…Berrian as the number one WR ??…

New QB,offensive coordinator and head coach…

No off season to learn a new playbook because of a lock out…

This season is a LOT different !!!…

Much better looking O-line…Depth there…Also a good young secondary…Even good depth there… : )

Ponder is looking sharp…Sexy Simpson has replaced boring Berrian…

I say the Vikings go .500 in the division…

No reason for this fan to think we can’t win 3 games in our division…

9-7…Is my best guess for this season…

74. By PurplHaze on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Brinkley’s success has far more to do with the D-Line starters, in particular Kevin, being on the field. If things aren’t right up front, a MLB is the first one that’s gonna feel the heat.

Keep scratching, Jasper!

75. By Frederick Jones on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@OTK,

The cheerleaders are sexy. lol

76. By Frederick Jones on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@Purplehaze,

You are right, it takes a team on defense, and also on offense. So much is made of the quarterback “it’ all about the quarterback…”, yes it is true.

You can tell how good your offense is by how the quarterback performs.

Linebackers will do better if they have a defensive line in front of them.

TEAM!!!

77. By Viks8&8 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

OTKalil who were you before OTK. You are a consistant blogger but I cant seem to place my finger on who you replaced.

78. By Ozzinator on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Fred believes in TEAM.
    Oz believes in Fred!

79. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Viks8&8…

Always been OTKalil on this site…

Used to blog for many years on the Star tribune…

But that site was full of Packer fans hating the Vikings and the Vikings trying to get their stadium…That got so old after awhile…

Just started checking around and found this blog…Found the urge to respond to something Nova had written about Sonja…And here I am…

80. By iaVIKE on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

OTK – Always have enjoyed your posts, you seem to really bleed purple. You’d be more than welcome on vikingsfootballblog.com No imposters, current blogs, and up-to-date info…and a lot of fun! Check it out man.

81. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

iaVIKE…

Funny you should say that…

I did go under 2 different names on the Stib site…One was “Ibleedpurple”…after changing the forum there…I couldn’t find a way to use the same username again…Then went to “Bledpurple”…

OTKalil2012 now…Thanks for the invite…Maybe when we get more into the football season ??…

82. By BusterCrab on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Fred. Add iaVIKE to the list.

83. By BusterCrab on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Delete OTKalil20012 He is a good guy.

84. By sandiamond on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

2013 Senior Bowl first ever “watch” list. College football starts in 1 week!

85. By sandiamond on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

‏by: Gene Frenette

If MJD hopes to have any shot of starting the opener vs. Minnesota, and that might already be gone, he must report no later than Saturday

86. By sandiamond on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

‏NFLDraftInsider

NFL Draft 2013 CB Rankings: 1) Amerson NCSU 2) Rhodes FSU 3) Banks Miss St 4) Milner Alabama 5) Trufant Wash 6) Hyde Iowa

87. By The Joker on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

“we may win a few of the first games, but may lose some as well”

WTF??? Nice prediction. That’s like saying, the Vikings may win a Superbowl in 2012, but they also may not”. WTF????

88. By rory from n.w.ark on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

OUR DIVISION IS A TICKING TIME BOMB,ALL THE HYPE,,,,ALL IT TAKES IS FOR RODGERS TO GO DOWN AND GREENBAY IS DONE, CHICAGO WILL HAVE CUTLER AT SOME TIME GO DOWN THERE DONE,ALSO DEFENSE IS GETTING OLD, IF DETROIT GETS ALL THEIR FELONS OUT IN TIME THEY WILL HAVE TIME TO TEAR EACH OTHER APART, GIVE US A FEW GAMES THIS YEAR WE WILL SEE IF WE GOT WHAT IT TAKES ,,,,HAVE FAITH FELLOW VIKING FANS,ALL IS NOT LOST YET ,BY ANY MEANS LETS HAVE FUN I KNOW OUR TEAM WILL…..

89. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Georgia S Rambo could be a good 2nd round pick if Raymond doesn’t step up.
    Great depth all along the OLine for seniors this year.

90. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer
    If you were trying to insult me I don’t care. You will not draw me into a fight over something so stupid.

91. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Never ever draft a WR from USC. They are all let downs. Woods is over hyped and Lee is no differant. They only succeed because of scheme.

92. By sandiamond on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

LB Manti Te’o looking strong for the upcoming season. Dropped 10 pds, faster and stronger. No regrets in returning his senior season to be a leader on Defense

93. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Te’O is a Top 15 pick right now.

94. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Agreed @Rory…
    Rodgers is one concussion away from retirement. Cutler’s OLine is a horrorific. Stafford top target is working under the Madden curse. Vikings could steal the show.

95. By sandiamond on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

yes sir HMG, any two out of three drafted would be awesome! Rambo, Te’o,Amerson

96. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

A tentative LB? Really if thats the case he sould not be in the NFL. LBs are suppossed to be the most aggressive guys on the field. Why else do guys follow Ray Lewis? He is intense.
    We need that intensity and Te’O will bring it!

97. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I am not watching the game tomorrow– I am back to my no watching preseason. Serves no point– I have seen enough. We will win more than we lose– finally, after two very disappointing seasons, I think we will be competitive. We will be almost invincible at home once again– 6 wins minimum. And split on the road– so 10-6 is my prediction— same as months ago. Green Bay is doomed– you don’t come off a Superbowl and then a 15-1 season which ends in round one at home against the low seed without psyche problems– I am telling you, internally they will fall apart. I expect the Pack to win 8 games.

98. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

The 6’3 freak of nature corner. 13 INTs in ONE season! Amerson is the type of corner you draft TOP 3 picks. Not guys like Claiborne. If we can get one between Amerson and Te’O the draft will be a win.

99. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Agree Titus my old and wise colleague.

100. By Richard1A on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m sitting back drinking a Purple Punch flavored can of Whoop Ass, Sharping my weapons,,,I’m so pumped, when the Vikings run out to the field, I’m running out the with them!!!

101. By sandiamond on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

titus, are you sure 10-6? don’t want to see you disappear if by chance the season started out 0’fer first few games

102. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I am positive sandiamond– I think 6 wins at home is very reasonable. We have a young team with chemistry with a few good veterans– and a softer schedule than in recent years. I can see us 7-3 at the BYE– after that, it may get rough, but momentum and confidence may carry them through.

103. By Jimmy on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@Titus
    Acid and unicorns could do the same thing

104. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

OKay…

105. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Whatever.

106. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Im watching the game tomorrow, from start to finish.

107. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@H.M.G…

That wasn’t Spencer…That was the impostor…

So Spencer might not respond…

Thanks for the thumbs up Buster…: )

108. By Frederick Jones on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@ozz,

aw shucks…but thank you!

109. By Frederick Jones on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

The last couple Titus’ sounded like him. But can we ever be sure?

…Just who is this magical mystery man, the renowned, the electrical Buster Crab?

110. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Fred, I got your back brother!

111. By sandiamond on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Packers : nothing has changed

Rodgers & army of rec/ plus benson?
    Cobb returning kicks
    Defense s u k s

112. By BusterCrab on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Why that is me, said the fox. to Sherlock Holmes.

113. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

This Ravens/Jags game is boring as he||

114. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Spencer.
    Sandiamond Benson was on his last legs with the Bengals last year. Even injury prone Grant is better.

115. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Tomorrow’s game at the dome will be boring.

116. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Being able to give an apology is the sign of a real man.
    Meaning Wobby is not.

117. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Is it true Wobby is related to Childress?

118. By Jimmy on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I thought Wobby was Chilly and Bevelle’s love child

119. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Hahaha…

120. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

What are you talking about Titus? Tomorrows game is gon’ be hype!

121. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

There is a striking resemblance.

122. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

You said that you watched the first 2 games from start to finish so I dont get why you wouldnt even watch the 3rd, and most important pre-season game.

123. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

First game was the first– we have waited a long time. Second was against my hometown team. Both were against possible playoff teams. Now, the Chargers, from what I hear are so-so– it will be boring!!!! 48-3.

124. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

But the real reason– Spencer, summer is disappearing– I don’t want to be inside.

125. By Jimmy on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Question about the pick 6 deal:
    Wobby are you OK? Looked like you were suffering a sezier.

126. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Wobby it looked aweful. Please never do that again.

127. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

What’s a sezier? Is it something you drink?

128. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

….You know what he meant.

129. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Same guy said I followed unicorns– so I am keeping it real. You want to be critical and condescending, you better live up to your own hype.

130. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Who knows– maybe he meant seltzer — I enjoy a cold one. Or maybe a Caesar– I like one made table-side.

131. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Lol at all the analysts saying we’re the worst team in the NFL…

Have they seen the Cardinals?!?!?

132. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, Vikings will win the division– so who cares?

133. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Whats more probable Titus, the Vikings winning the division or Cook being selected to the Pro-Bowl?

134. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

All the season-ticket holders paying $50 and up must be high-fiving right now, what a treat.

135. By sandiamond on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cook out this week
    Bobby Felder in!

136. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I doubt he gets much playing time though. Heres the guys above him
    -Winfield
    -Carr
    -Robinson
    -Bowman
    -Burton
    -Jones

137. By Parody on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Wobby in full bloom.

138. By 3DONTHERADIO on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer – I don’t think either is going to happen. But I do believe 9-7 is very possible.

139. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Audie Cole is looking at Wobbs like he is from outer space.

140. By 3DONTHERADIO on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Of course, that’s with a healthy #28 playing the bulk of the year! Go Vikes!!!

141. By Woodboat on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Spencer… Really? I haven’t heard any of them saying we are the worst team in the NFL… who’s saying that? I’ve heard a few claiming we are the most HOPELESS team in the NFL because of our division, last years record, and the perceived quality of our additions in the off season.

Even then, I can’t believe the Vikes are the most hopeless team in the league. Like you said, there’s the Cards….

142. By Parody on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Cards would have a hope if they could get a QB and an OLine (sound familiar?)
    Jags and Dolphins look completely hopeless to me.
    Seahawks are going to be hurting this year too and I’m not convinced that Manning can play in Denver like he did back in Indy.

143. By novascotiavike on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Wobschall, for your own sake, please don’t come into any bars up here.

144. By Spencer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Shaking my head.

145. By novascotiavike on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Titus, right you are….from the planet ” SERIOUSLYGAY”.

146. By Parody on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – The “author” of that young freshman/sophòmore QB list should be shot. Ponder dead last behind failures like Gabbert and unknown nobodies like Russell Wilson and Brandon Weeden?

Vikings are an absolute wreck? AP is hurt? Percy dealt with injuries…WELL! The defense has but a few notable names…like Pro Bowlers Allen, Greenway, Williams and Winfield…2nd best safety of the draft…a top tier young CB in Cook…and the best #2 DE in the league?

So his rankings are based on what…the fact that he doesn’t know anything about the Vikings roster other than the fact that it has 2 ROTY on offense, (who are both, BTW over their injuries & illness)?

Someone should take him out back with a gun, team rosters and a stat book and force him to sit there and read it until the peanut unloges from in between his ears.

147. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Never heard of that planet, Nova? How is Sonja? Was going to come to Montreal for a few days, but was not in the current budget– maybe later for a week-end in the fall if I can find cheap airfare.

148. By novascotiavike on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Titus, Sonja had her usual summer run-in at the cottage with a critter….last year a porc, this year a skunk……only difference, the skunk is still kickin’.

149. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Sonja ate the porcupine? Ha, smell is a stronger weapon than spears!

150. By novascotiavike on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

She didn’t eat the porcupine, if you remember , Sonja won the war, but lost the battle. Dead porcupine, big vet bill$,,,,, Those nose quills scare off most dogs, but just put Sonja into “overkill”.

151. By novascotiavike on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Wobschall can practice his ” Lawn Sprinkler” dance routines here, for anyone that wants up-to-the -minute reporting of REAL Viking news….it’s vikingsfootballblog.com….We might even tell you about AP getting arrested.

152. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Will AP play tomorrow?

153. By Woodboat on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I’ve got a Parson Russel that is he!! on skunks…. kills them and then runs all over the place plowing her face in the grass and dirt and puking. She’s not the smartest dog…

Equal parts Hydrogen Peroxide and Dawn dish washing soap gets rid of most of the smell…. note, I said most.

154. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer
    That is the most SH!TASTIC writing I have ever seen.
    Maybe if little NEDDLE D!CK losers would actually do research the would know Ponder is atleast 5th on that list.

155. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I bet if that writer was dunked in boiling oil he would say it fills like a winter storm.

156. By Woodboat on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Titus… someone posted that he’ll dress for tomorrows game and do the pregame warm-up. I gotta think that if he’s been getting contact in practice, they’ll get him in for a play or two. Letting the guy dress and warm-up and then not play him would be worse than what my prom date did….

157. By Jimmy on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@Titus I was not insulting you I was trying to make a joke.

@HMG right you are how the HE!! can all the guys who have not even taken a rep in a regular season game rate above him. Then throw in Gabbert really? How is Locker the guy who can’t throw a straight p@ss higher then Ponder.
    Lets not get into the discredit he did to the D.

158. By Woodboat on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

H.M.G….

Guys like that just like to talk sh!t… He obviously has done no research to make the statements he’s made. His credibility is junk and he won’t have the intestinal fortitude to eat his words later in the season. Stupid bleacher reports…

159. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

That’s what I was thinking Woodboat– not about your prom date, but why would AP dress up, warm up, and then sit down? Does not sound like a smart move by any coach– at that stage AP will be ready to roll.

160. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Seriously no mention of KWill or Greenway(MADE THE FING PROBOWL). Does not even give credit for a improved Secondary and OLine. A sports writer who doesn’t do his research.
    0-16 REALLY? D@MN B!TCH@SS accessment!

161. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Kinda blew up there. But I stick by what I said.

162. By Woodboat on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Yeah… I’m not seeing 0-16 on my most pessimistic day… even last year when I figured we were gonna suck. I don’t think there’s any way barring catastrophic injuries that we win less than 5 games… and I think we could go 8-8 or even higher. The Vikes really don’t look that bad….

163. By H.M.G. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Hey Jimmy since you said stuff about acid here is a real story about a buddy of mine.
    Well the guy took acid and went a little crazy. He started saying he could fly and began running around. Another buddy grabed a camera and started filming. The guy that was high some how ended up on a roof. Hey shouted I can fly and jumped towards the opposite roof. He missed and fell into hole. But he was not badly hurt. The other guy forgot to take the camera lens off. So he didn’t believe us.

164. By Radzinwisconsin on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I wonder how Carlsons liking that signing bonus

165. By Spencer on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Dam, Rivers isnt starting.

166. By Deer Tracks(...) on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Woodboat Tomato juice also works to help get rid of Skunk smell.

Now if we could only find what to use to get rid of Spencer.

167. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

nova was in da houusse!!!

168. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Legal gay marriage lays a foundation for any kind of marriage, including one where a man can have ten wives.

Think about that!

169. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

@DeerTracker,

Spencer is an entertaining kid who sometimes like to irritate the soul of fellow bloggers. However we all have our faults. Even jones is not perfect, although he acts like it sometimes.

By the bye, freddie enjoys writing in the third person, and does not see why he should not continue.

170. By Ozzinator on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Good point Freddy L.
    Oz is thinking about that!

171. By Ozzinator on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Oz likes Freddies third person speak.

172. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Apparently Titus is back instead of the pompous a.. who was imitating him?

Only jones is allowed to be pompous!

173. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Ozz,

Don’t freddie know ye?

174. By DrinkHeavyVikingsFans on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

We’ll be lucky to make .500 this year (still too many holes/question marks), but we ain’t a 0-16 team either..that’s re-f%$ckin-diculous!

Reasons for sub .500?

1. Aside from the DB situation, I don’t believe this team has shown that (a) it can stop the run in big spots; (b) tackle – it seems like we’re always dragging down RBs 5 yds down the field; (c) and we haven’t had a decent 4th quarter pass rush in a long time (our DL gets sacks early, but as we saw last year, they are just too gassed late in the game); (d) our LBs have problems shredding blockers, particularly on pass blitzes, putting huge amts of pressure on our DBs to make plays.

2. The OL hasn’t shown the ability to knock people off the ball and protect the QB. Just ask Brett Favre. That dude should get the medal of honor for taking some of the most horrendous hits and face plants I’ve ever seen and still manage to have a career year with the Vikes. Keeping drives alive and scoring TDs is more about the OL at this point than Ponder or Gerhart. Sure Ponder needs to make plays when he has to and minimize his own mistakes, but it all won’t matter if he’s in the hospital and not on the field.

3. Attitude: With Frazier and Singletary here, I was hoping that we’d see a 1985 Bears-type of aggressiveness and bad-a$$ attitude on the field, but it doesn’t look like it yet. Teams need to know that when they play the Vikes, it’s gonna be a death-match, regardless of the outcome. Up to this point we come across as soft.

4. Coaching: I read the bios of these guys and I don’t get the impression that we have A-listers who know how to put together a winning game plan and can make adjustments in tight situations. But let’s face it, a guy with credentials like Norv Turner ain’t much better at this point so we’ll have to see.

KEEP’EM COLD AND GO VIKES

175. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Realistically, this team could go 7-3 before the BYE.

176. By Richard1A on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Going to be electric tonight, place is going to catch like wild fire, Vikes going to be pumped, no mercy, Chargers, be afraid..very afraid!

177. By Parody on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Titus is being realistic? Naw, has to be the imposter.

178. By Imposter on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Nope, that was the real Titus. Could have been another imposter though. There are several.

179. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

The greater the man, the more numerous the imitators.

180. By Spencer on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

…That explains a lot.

181. By Sherlock Holmes on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

The games afoot Watson.

I will from time to time give you clues as how I discovered who the REAL impostor is ?

Clue number one. The real impostor spells the word impostor wrong by definition in all his blogs. It actually spelled “imposter”.

The correct spelling should be “impostor”.

182. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Sherlock, you are so smart– the word imposter can be spelled either way– both are correct. Sherlock seems to be an impostor.

183. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Sherlock– is that Nova?

184. By Spencer on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

No Mathews, no Gates, no Rivers.

Kind of upset about that.

185. By HCG. on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

We Like Turtles…http://vikingsfootballblog.com/

186. By Bluebird7 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I think I know why AD will be in full uniform tonight. I believe Frazier is playing mind games with SD. I remember the game Peterson played at SD in his rookie year with the Vikings. Peterson set some new records in that game. We bet them badly!!

187. By Bluebird7 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

We also beat the suffings out of SD.

188. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Bluebird, I highly doubt there are mind games as motivation to suit up AP. This is preseason!

189. By Bluebird7 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Titus, the mind game is the Chargers are not sure if AD will be played.
    Look what he done to them before!

190. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if Bethel-Thompson will get a chance to play tonight ???…

191. By sampph on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Well the wait is finally good when you see the results. Hopefully the Vikings continue to improve and we can see on the following dates a notation more forceful.