Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 16, 2012 – 11:29 am

This offseason, NFL owners voted on a new policy that ultimately gives each team the option to lower its percentage of tickets that must be sold in order to prevent a home game from being blacked out on local television. For the first time, NFL teams are allowed flexibility to select a percentage anywhere between the typical 100% down to 85% of capacity. By lowering the ticket manifest, teams are not lowering the number of seats they can sell or the number of fans who can attend home games; rather, the decision only lowers the tickets that must be sold to allow a game to be on local TV.

In an effort to ensure as many fans as possible can experience Vikings football, the team will take advantage of the league’s new policy. The Vikings will reduce the Mall of America ticket manifest to 90% capacity, a reduction of approximately 6,000 seats.

This decision is in line with many of the Vikings decisions that are in the best interests of our fans. By reducing the ticket manifest, the Vikings are in a better position to achieve the team’s goal of reaching as many Vikings fans as possible and have all 2012 home games locally televised.

“It’s important for the Vikings to take advantage of a new policy that benefits our fans and helps us achieve our goal of having our games televised throughout Minnesota,” said Vikings Vice President of Sales and Marketing and Chief Marketing Officer Steve LaCroix. “Our focus remains on selling every seat in Mall of America Field, and we will continue to work hard to achieve that. This flexibility, however, puts us in a better position to have our home games locally televised.”

46 Responses to “Vikings Adopt NFL’s New Policy; Decision Puts Team In Better Position To Have Home Games Locally Televised”

1. By 8&8isgreat on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I was not worried about blackouts. Games will sell out regardless of poor play. They usually do.

2. By mnsoldier on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

why would they have black out games at all, if you cant get fans to go to a game, why would they watch a bad team on TV. I guess it means teams should put a better product on the field. Stop doing dumb things like keeping lower lever QB’s/WR on a team that will never make the jump to starter quality.

3. By Michaelangelo on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Radical, Dude. Excellent. I can’t wait to watch the Vikings this year. It’s gonna be radical season. I can’t wait. We’re gonna Party. Let’s get some Pizza, Dude!!!!!

4. By Viks8&8 on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I like the Ninja Turtle reference. Lets hope out team is not stuck in the 80′s cartoon era though. Actually thinking about it some of our teams in the 80′s were pretty good!

5. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Great no blackouts so get to watch the Vikings destroy the weak willed losers who dare oppose them. Skol!

6. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Chester Taylor is still one of the tags at right. Chester Taylor!!!

7. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I have nothing to say.

8. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Wood, Sir Greasy, and Titu,

I responded to your posts on the last Harrison Smith blog. Thank you for objecting so strongly to what I wrote! It was hilarious, and entertaining!!!

9. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Jones– I am not evaluating Webb on one preseason game– every time a team prepares for him as our starter he has been horrible. That Philly game he was a virtual unknown and our team was cooped up in a hotel for three days– they were on fire to let loose– that game was Webb’s finest hour, but he hasn’t done much since.

10. By Richard1A on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Who cares, no ones going to watch if they don’t play good, like a team. Discipline, team work, stick with the game plan!

11. By Spencer on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Since I live outside the MN region, I could care-less if they black out the games haha.

Cant wait for the game tomorrow, hopefully the run-defense shows up this time!

12. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

@Titus Flavius,

I think you fergits the Lions game!!!

13. By Spencer on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Matt Kalil vs Mario Williams will a battle I keep my eyes on.

14. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I swear some bloggers would rather see Joe fail and have the Vikings lose, than to have Joe succeed and have us win!!!

Apparently no one saw any highlights from the Jets game with Sanchez, or the Cowboys game with Romo. Joe Webb looked like an All-Pro compared to those two guys.

15. By Spencer on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Fred…do you suspect racism as the reason?

16. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Jones, did Webb start that game? Or come in as relief?

17. By josh k on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

good move Zygi

18. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, don’t start. Serious.

19. By Spencer on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I use to say that Ponder was the better quarterback, but Webb gave us the best chance to win. Well, I have changed my mind. Ponder is the better qb, and gives us the best chance to win.

Go Ponder! I believe in you.

20. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I like the new quarterback– the hyphen.

21. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

You guys just make jones laugh!!!

22. By Spencer on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Why is Ponders jersey so loose around the arms? Last year he wore a tighter one..

23. By Richard1A on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Webb has looked awesome, ran with the ball like a experienced all pro running back, he drove the team down field like one of the best. Why don’t they develop him into a starter? he showed he can do it. They have’nt and it does not look like they will, why not trade him?

24. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Richard, what game are you speaking of? Webb looked turruble last Friday.

25. By packhater on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Enough about Webb. This is Ponder’s first real season as a “starter/leader”. Last year was alredy f**ked thanks to Donnie Mcnabb.

26. By packhater on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Besides, we’re just bloggers, the coaches know what they’re doing…….right Spoiler alert ?

27. By Vikings1 on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Spencer,

I live in San Diego and I would love to watch the Vikings games win or lose!

28. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I do give Frazier and Musgrave a big thumbs up for one thing last Friday…

As poorly as Webb was playing…Musgrave kept his plate full with airing out the football…Making Webb continue to throw the ball…

Last year after seeing Webb struggle like that…The coaching staff might have backed off of Webb…Maybe had him hand off on running plays more at the end of his time in the game…From worry about injuring a young players confidence…

Not this year…Webb was thrown into the fire of adversity…Webb might not have came out of the test very well…But the coaching staff needs to know what they truly have on the bench backing up Ponder…

At the very least Frazier and Musgrave gave him as true a test of what they could come up with…To see what Webb could handle…

29. By VegasVike on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I read that the profits from the last 6000 seats sold (90% plus) are split 50/60 with the NFL instead of the normal 65% to the team and 35% to the NFL. So the Vikings made a sacrifice of profits for the benefit of the fans. I think that is a honorable move and should be noted!!

30. By VegasVike on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

50/60??? WHA??? Haha! Everybody knows I meant 60/50 right??
    Seriously , 50/50, sorry for the typo…
    Everybody knows 60 & 50 add up to 120

31. By frenum49 on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Fredrick Jones…….LOL who would be the funniest player to still have tagged over in that column? BRYANT McKINNIE!!!!!They should throw an oddball in once in a while just for fun.

32. By frenum49 on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

@VegasVike…..60/50???? Are we talking about Joe Webbs last eye exam again??

33. By OTKalil2012 on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

@Vegas..& frenum49…

: )

34. By Richard1A on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I mean in past years, not friday(webb). He has more talent then some of the d backs, receivers, running backs. Why don’t they utilize his talents? They did’nt look very team like, everyone fri was looking like they were overloaded with info, they should be past that if there playing a game. I am going from when they players were miced up, we could hear the players, seemed like confusion.

35. By Spencer on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Enough about Webb, Ponder is the starting quarterback.

36. By frenum49 on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

@Richard1A……Sorry dude but backing Webb is like being impressed with how powerful your 99 caravan is…

37. By Parody on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I still don’t understand why teams are not ALL taking advantage of the entire 85% rule. There must be something that they are giving up, but I have yet to see it advertised. Unless the league is instating some kind of fine to teams that take advantage of this rule, it just doesn’t make sense.

It COULD be that they are aware that knowing the odds of a blackout are higher, some people will decide to go to the game to ensure they don’t miss the game, so with the lowered blackout percentage, fewer people would buy a ticket out of fear of missing the game. But I don’t believe the population of people who act this way is high enough in even a fanbase of a poor team to make a noticeable difference.

38. By VegasVike on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

RichardA1- you sound like a Dragnet movie with Joe and Friday…

39. By VegasVike on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Parody – they lose 15% of the ticket sales revenue of any tickets sold over the percentage number they agree on.
    On 6000 seats with an average price of say $100 the team gives up $15 a seat more to the NFL. So if they went to the 85% number they would automatically give up an additional $45,000 per game. The way I see it, I could be wrong too.

If Sue took a train that traveled 115 miles and left the depot at 1:15 PM EST and crossed into the CENTRAL TIME ZONE and arrived at its destination at 2:10 CST, how fast was the train traveling??

40. By Spoiler Alert on Aug 17, 2012 | Reply

@PackHater, RIght on, Bro! They may not know what they are doing, but how in the heck would any of us know??

41. By Parody on Aug 17, 2012 | Reply

Thanks VegasVike. Do you have a reference to that information? Not that I don’t believe you, I’d just like to see where you learned it.

I don’t have a direct answer to your question. But hypothesize that it was greater than the speed of light…or at least 88 MPH.

42. By Parody on Aug 17, 2012 | Reply

Wait…my brain was working backwards there, (thought you were going 5 minutes into the past rather than 115 minutes into the future). So 60 MPH…assuming that we rely on the fallacy that no extra time is needed for acceleration or slowing to a stop.

43. By stands on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aug 16, 2012: Random Thoughts for a Thursday
  3. Aug 17, 2012: Minnesota Vikings Take Advantage Of New NFL Blackout Policy |
  4. Aug 8, 2013: Vikings Opt to Lower Blackout Threshold; 90% Now a "Sell-Out" - The Viking Age - A Minnesota Vikings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.