Vikings Take Peterson Off PUP List

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 12, 2012 – 12:07 pm

The Vikings are hopeful that Adrian Peterson will be able to help them on Sundays between now and the end of the season. One major step in the right direction has happened, appropriately, on a Sunday.

On Sunday, two days following his team’s preseason opener at San Francisco, Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier disclosed that Peterson has been taken off the Active/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. He was taken off the list in time to participate in the Vikings morning walk-thru on Sunday.

Previously during training camp, Peterson had been working out, but it was on the side with the team’s athletic training and strength staff. Now that he’s off the PUP list, Peterson can begin working with his coaches and teammates on the field.

“I want to caution you,” Frazier said during his press conference. “I know there are a lot of fans who are very optimistic and excited about seeing him back. But for us, it’s just part of the process. It doesn’t mean a whole lot other than he’s done a great job in his rehab up to this point off to the side with our strength coaches, [head athletic trainer] Eric Sugarman and his staff and our medical staff.

“He’s done everything he can do on the side. It doesn’t mean in the future that he’s going to be lining up with our team in the opening game. We don’t know that. We have a long time to determine that.”

While Peterson is off the PUP list, it’s not full-steam ahead quite yet. Because of provisions in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), Peterson is not permitted to be in pads until he’s active for two practices (according to the team’s camp schedule, that will be this Tuesday).

That’s the update for now. We’ll have Frazier’s press conference posted to vikings.com in on-demand format soon.

Tags: ,

112 Responses to “Vikings Take Peterson Off PUP List”

1. By CA_Viking_Fan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

All I can say is WOW!! As a former knee repair patient, with the same injury, it took me a good 2 years to get to 90%. Granted this was 30 yrs ago and the technology not as advanced, but AP has blown me away to get himself at this point. Superhuman!

2. By CA_Viking_Fan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

And forget about being “first” with comment to a blog entry. AP is amazing. Good work. Keep it up. What an inspiration to others

3. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I just dont get it, is there a logical explanation for why we’re rushing him back? The risk far out weighs the benefit.

4. By spoiler alert on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

If AP’s career is over, it’s best to find out before the season starts. I’d rather see what he is capable of in the preseason rather than the regular season. Diahrea of the mouth is definatly not curable is it Spencer

5. By spoiler alert on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

He needs to get hit so the staff can see how he handles it. Any how is he being rushed back?? he basically sat out training camp, mini camp, OTA’s. Rushing him back would have meant him playing last Friday, and him getting hit from day one in full pads. GOOD LORD, this guy annoys me. Stick to your Cook loving.

6. By yup on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

yup..mhmm..I tell you what.

7. By frenum49 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Way to go AP!!! We look forward to watching you make the highlight reels again and again this season. Fitting acronyms for AP???? Amazing Progression…My girlfriend likes Alpha Predator………..

8. By Tark on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I’m ready to see him!

9. By DYNOOOMIGHT on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

AP looks pretty good to the coaches and medical staff or this would not happen. Way too much money on the line.

10. By purple69 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Right on Brother!!

11. By DRS on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

He will never come back strong like he was, we should trade him before he comes off the list. We could get at least a first rounder for next season, maybe even two for AP. TRADE HIM RIGHT NOW!!

12. By bleeding purple on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

WTF??are you serious? Never, never, never trade AP, trade him and you will regret it. regret it ALL-DAY

13. By frenum49 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

DRS…….That was just Down Right Stupid

14. By DRS on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

your downright stupid.

15. By frenum49 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

ouch

16. By DYNOOOMIGHT on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Time will tell DRS. I hope you are wrong about AP coming back, but I completely understand why you are concerned– most thinking fans have the same concern.

17. By roerthevikefan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

This is only good news if Petey is fully healed. I would much rather he miss atleast the first 2 games then rush him back. The Vikings can beat the Jags and Colts without him.

18. By Bluebird7 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Toby has shown he can do the job. Let him do the ball handling while Peterson has
    “feeler” type play action. Peterson will have plenty of action during the regular season.

19. By Deer Tracks* on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Randy Moss had a token appearance in the 49er/Vikings game.

Watch out when he comes up here for the 3rd game!

I do not think that Chris Cook can cover Moss!

20. By True Titus on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

By DRS on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply
    ex-player you could not be any more off base in your thinking, if a player is not making the grade the coaches are the ones who must realize this and remove that player from the game, it is the coaches who come up with the game plan and must make adjustments if things are going wrong, players are only pawns, if the master minds behind the teams fail then the team fails, otherwise why have coaches at all if the players are the brains and bronze behind a team? If a team has a QB & a coach that can think on their feet as Grant & Tarkenton did we would still be at the top of the NFL.
    Did you mean brawn? Because that would have been correct. Dam surronded by morons.

21. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I can’t even spell my name right. You gonna jump on that Titus. By the way we know you are a fake so please shut up or at the very least be a AHole as your self.

22. By BE SANE AND SERIOUS on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Good Lord! STOP STOP STOP STOP!!! What are you trying to do? Are you trying to run me off the blog? Get a life you COWARD. COWARD COWARD COWARD. just STOP ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. By Vikes4life on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

It appears as though someone has gotten the better of Titus.

24. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@Vikes4life-No, actually he has not. It takes much more than some pea-brained individual to get in my head. BE SANE/imposter-does not bother me as much as I bother him. Patience is the true key to greatness.
    OPTIMUS VOIBUS!

25. By Vikes4life on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

OMG-imposter, leave Titus alone already. Let him be who he wants to be.

26. By DRS on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

What did Titus do to this guy?

27. By titus flavius caesar vespasianus augustus on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@Vikes4life-he most likely has a vendetta against educated men like myself. Some people cannot handle it when others have success in their lives. I’m sure this cretin is one of them.

28. By titus flavius caesar vespasianus augustus on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Oops, my mistake. That was meant for DRS.

29. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@imposter-you should really remember to use capital letters when posting under my name. It is Titus Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, not titus flavius caesar vespasianus augustus. Mistakes are slipping through the cracks with this individual. Soon enough, he will stop.

30. By Vikes4life on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

wow, how many titus wannabes are there

31. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

So does that mean AP is gonna get carries next game?

32. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

And are we actually going to use Jairus Wright? Next Percy Harvin my ass!

33. By Vikes4life on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I’m guessing they will have him practice this week, sit out preseason week 2, then play for the full half during the third game. He should get plenty of physical testing during practice these next few weeks.

34. By Vikes4life on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, wright has not looked that great so far. Keep our fingers crossed and maybe he can fill a slot role this season.

35. By Immure on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- They used Wright a couple times against the 49ers, I believe MBT targeted him a couple times. One was ruled an incompletion and the INT he threw was intended Wright as well.

36. By Vikes4life on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

And here’s to the development of Audie Cole. I know PA was overboard on him, but I do hope the guy can fill the MLB role in the future. Besides, he looks like Clay Mathews. Anyone who looks that close to mathews has to have some potential.

37. By TioshiNishioka on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

If AP is back, cole should get plenty of practice running down the ballcarier. Am so excited to see AP again. YESSSSSSS

38. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I remembered him dropping a pass and running an absolutely terrible route near the goal-line.

C’mon Wright…step up, we need you!

39. By Vikes4life on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

i thought for sure that we would see him return a kick or two. I was under the impression that it was one of the main reasons for drafting him. Maybe next week?

40. By Richard1A on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

A.P. is already in the Hall of Fame, he’s that good,,,,they should be concentrating on how to get the weazels to play like a team, together, use each other to play! I can’t stand it to see A.P. doing outstanding play, when the rest sits back and picks there ass’s, everyone of them is capable of doing what A.P. does, and God knows they get paid for it!

41. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer,

I share your worry over A.D., as I am sure most SANE fans do as well. Hopefully our medical/training staff makes the right decisions and bring him along slowly enough so he can perform all season for the Vikings.

42. By desmond on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

All day baby …skol Go Vikes

43. By frenum49 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Alright….which one of you is undercover Wobschall? Correcting eachothers Latin on the Vikings home page?? Bragging about being successful?? Is that you Mike?

44. By imposter on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

nope

45. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@Titus…Be Sane…etc.,

You guys are taking over the blog. It’s all about the Titus’.

Should it be?

Perhaps you will both have to change your blog names to
    “Something completely different.”

Fred does not know all the answers, but this has to end.

46. By frenum49 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@imposter…..Ok well If you start bragging about how you were once a super-athlete on the track then I know for sure.

47. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@The DRS, desmond, Richard1A,

The coaches will have to do their jobs, and pick the right players to make the team. That is not an easy job at this level.

For example, do they give Jarius Wright, and DeMarcus Love more chances in the pre-season games, or just let them go?

A player could look great in the pre-season games, and be let go. One year the Vikings drafted Leo Hayden, #1 out of Ohio State University. Hayden was spectacular during the pre-season. He rarely played in the NFL. That is one of many examples one could give.

Kurt Warner, Johnny Unitas, were cut there first year in the NFL. It took Warner several YEARS to get back in the NFL.

You never can tell.

48. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@Titus Flavius,

Marcus Sherels, if cut, is an example of someone who could go on to star for another team.

Tarvaris Jackson is not done yet.

49. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

The S’hawks are having a 3 way battle for the starting QB. According to Coach Carroll there is no front runner yet.

Tarvaris Jackson, Flynn, and Russell Wilson are the competitors at this point.

50. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

There are teams in this league the Vikings can beat. Maybe we can even beat SF and GB types on our home turf.

8-8, just have faith.

51. By frenum49 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I put zero stock in even the best learned analysts predictions in the NFL…..No one really knows what can happen and in this league anthing truly can happen. All anyone can say that there will certainly be surprises.

52. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Wright was on the field alot but was only targeted by Mcleod.

53. By rocksalt on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

DESPERATION is why AP is off of PUP list. He needs more time to completely heal according to most experts (doctors) on this…..

54. By 2V on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Just checking to see if you guys are still infants.

55. By rocksalt on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

True Titus- Ignore the imposter……

56. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

The real Titus maybe a name change should happen. Most of us would know who you are because of your writing style. Then the false Titus would hopefully crawl into a corner a cease to be.

57. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Plus your Baroooooo! Has power while the false one lacks it.

58. By VegasVike on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Nova? gone
    Shawn? gone
    Carl? gone
    Titus? Multiplying like bunnies
    As Ben from The Fantastic Four used to say…. AP, “IT’S CLOBBERIN’ TIME!!”

59. By Holden M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Great for AP. Can’t wait till he wreak opposing Defences. Lets just hope this is not a panic move by the coaches.

60. By Holden M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

My name is Holden My Groin and I am an amazing track star. Well I was as a youngster.

61. By Holden M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Just messing around. Track blows football is the greatest spot ever. Played small college football till I got to many concussions. They are awful and any player who gets one should wait atleast a month before playing again.

62. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Track blows? I love it, to each his own I guess.

63. By Holden M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Was never the fastest guy so thats why I dislike it.

64. By Holden M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Sport not spot. Oh no now I may feel the wraith of False Titus.

65. By frenum49 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Nice one Holden, I think we found undercover Wobschall……Right Spencer wink wink wink

66. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Speaking of track…the Closing Ceremony is on NBC right now.

67. By H. M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

You think I’m the little man with to much power for his own good. Wobbs is Matthis or however you spell it.

68. By Kyler on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Is really beginning to hate this blog.

69. By frenum49 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

No, I think Spencer is…. He is the one that says he loves track and Wobs brings up his glory days of track and field in the middle of an interview…..Holden Miniscule Genitalia

70. By H.M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Played LB the greatest position in all of football. Had a BAST@RD blindside me and that started the run on concussions. Still get bad headaches but prefer them to double vision and dizzyness.

71. By H.M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I would have thought the real Titus was Wobbs. Because he loves running but changed that idea because he could likely have eliminated all the false Titus(s)

72. By H.M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Leaving head hurts. Sleepy time.

73. By DYNOOOMIGHT on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Will AP play on Friday?

74. By Richard1A on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Eaxactly, some of the best players got cut there first year. That is why I think Solomon Elimimien is ready, he got cut from buffalo, went to the CFl and was one of there best defensive players, I think he’s ready to play in the NFL. I don’t care if he plays only on special teams, he some day will be ready to start and be really good.

75. By VegasVike on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I bet a team could pick Chad 85 up for a song right now….

76. By VegasVike on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Him and Cook could be cell…. I mean room mates in Mankato

77. By Troutdaddy on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@DRS- you are crazy to think Peterson should be cut. Give him a chance to make a come-back before you throw him under the bus. I am no pro athelete but I had the same surgury and my knee has never been better. Sure it can be sore if I really over work it, but I can cut and jump as well as before. I just hope he does not push it too early, but I can’t wait for him to start tearing up the field (and not his knee again…)

78. By Jeffbleedspurple on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

That’s why I love the guy, if the rest of the team had his heart and love for the game, we would have a very good football team no doubt. It’s great to see you back AD and its going to be great seeing you back on the field.

79. By H.M.G. on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@frenum49
    I thought Mike Wobschall said to be friendly to other bloggers. But if you want to be a D!CK I can’t stop you.

80. By sunnyazvike on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

test

81. By sunnyazvike on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

#55 looked good friday night, for some reason site wont let me say his name.

82. By sunnyazvike on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

#17 looked horrible

83. By sunnyazvike on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I think #55 played best of all the backers. Not sure why everyone is high on solomin yet? He caught a present from a tipped ball. Didnt see much else from him, also saw #30 get beat multiple times.

84. By Parody on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Sunny #55 has hèll at the end of his name (I assume we’re talking about Marvin Mitchèll. The site has him sharing #50 with Erin). Just one of the thousand+ swear words this site blocks, so long as the letters are side-by-side.

85. By oDIm on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

in soccerland they have the Vuvuzela,
    In Cleveland they have the dog bones in the dog pound,
    In Pittsburgh they have the terrible towel.
    Vikings fans will soon be waving the terrible wire!
    Because coach is watching the waiver wire to build up the team.
    No sense getting high priced free agent ‘bodies’ in there.

86. By sunnyazvike on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Thanks parody I should of noticed that one. Not looking so starvin mavin played great.

87. By VA Vike Fan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

This man isn’t human..Can’t wait!

88. By DYNOOOMIGHT on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

There are more among us than you realize.

89. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Kinda disappointed tthat J-Robs coming back.

90. By DYNOOOMIGHT on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, who?

91. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Josh Robinson….

92. By DYNOOOMIGHT on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Oh, okay. For a second I was thinking Brian Robison and thought you are carazy!

93. By Lou Skunt on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Anybody watch the bears game?

Their starting O-line looks as bad as our 2nd team O-line.

I think when we play the Bears, Cutler will be on the sideline nursing an injury.

94. By Immure on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- Why are you disappointed that Robinson is coming back?

95. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Because that means less playting time for Bobby Felder :(

96. By Immure on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Felder looked pretty good against the 49ers. Better than some of the other DBs did so maybe one of those guys (Carr, Bowman, Jones) gets less playing instead.
    At this point Felder has as good of a chance as anyone else to make the team.

97. By Spencer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Felder didnt allow a single catch. He had his man on lockdown.

98. By Lou Skunt on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, You’re right. Reggie Jones was getting picked on all night.

99. By DRS on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

By DRS on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

FAKE, I HAVE BEEN OUT OF TOWN ALL DAY. Good try spoiler alert.

100. By DRS on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I should say most of the afternoon.

101. By Sir Greasy Panda on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Its possible that the imposters are the same packer trolls from last season. Who ever they were they really loved being on our site.

This blog use to be waaaay different a year ago.

maybe once the season starts everyone will go back to normal

102. By rwf1984 on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

To be honest he should have at least limited practice because I would still be cautious. We really don’t know if this is Peterson stating a 100% and too eager to get on the field, but all in all if I were the Vikings, I would limit his reps and no preseason action because I am pretty sure us fans would rather have him out their for regular season and not getting injured in a meaningless game! (Knock on Wood!)

103. By Sir Greasy Panda on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

getting AP off the PUP list just gives the team more options. It also helps progress his rehab. Its not unusual for pro athletes to return from injuries faster than normal people. Not just because of their bodies but because unlike regular folk athletes get paid to play so they spend all their time rehabing. AP is a millionaire who can afford to not work at all and seek the best possible rehab.

104. By Sir Greasy Panda on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Either way, our team seems to be improved from last season. At this time last year we were putting our hopes into McNabb and Berrian. There was no off season, brand new coaching staff. It was just a mess. We may not win the division or make the playoffs but we are by far in a better position than we were last season.

105. By sandiamond on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Wright was 2nd string return guy behind Joe Adams at Ark. idea might have been to get a better receiver than Adams with a bonus for some return exp in college
    give it time we got the best/most durable WR of the bunch…

106. By DRS on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Troutdaddy that DRS is a fake, we would be crazy to trade AP.

107. By vikingbob136 on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I don’t expect AP to play a down until the last preseason game. And i would not be surprised if he doesn’t get into a game until !st game of season. But i will guarantee you that if stays healthy, he runs for 1200 yards this year.
    Plaxico Burress is still out there. You listening Spielman? He’s a big target.

108. By Troutdaddy on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

@DRS… thanks for poitning that out.Seemed weird to hear that out of you!!! These fakes are a buncha idiots. You know they got to be packer fans. These trolls should crawl back under the slimey rocks they crawled out from.

109. By Frederick Jones on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

This was a good interview with Peterson. It was neat to be able to HEAR HEAR HEAR the questions by the reporters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F.L. Jones would like to see more interviews of that kind.

110. By Jeff on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Why are the Vikings allowing AP, our frachise player, (and Jared Allen for that matter) to wear the old style Riddell helmet that did so poorly in the recent helmet tests for concussions that Riddell themselves have warned/encouraged players not to wear?

I understand that it may be for comfort but it seems foolish when better protection is available (Riddell Speed, Zenith, Shutt DNA) to have our best two players more at risk for concussions than they need to be.

2. Aug 12, 2012: Adrian Peterson comes off the PUP list - Pro Sports Journal | Pro Sports Journal
  3. Aug 12, 2012: Adrian Peterson comes off the PUP list - Daily Sports Digest | Daily Sports Digest