Vikings Offense Responds To Musgrave’s Motivation Measure

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 7, 2012 – 6:01 pm

If you know Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave, you know that he’s generally a polite, personable character who can strike up a friendly conversation with anyone. If you know Musgrave well, though, you know that he has plenty of vitality in him when it comes to football.

The Vikings offense is well aware of this now.

As the Star Tribune’s Dan Wiederer explains on Access Vikings, Musgrave went outside the box to motivate his group for Tuesday’s practice after a subpar outing on Monday.

“Yesterday we took a step back in a couple of periods,” Musgrave said during his press conference on Tuesday. “We’re looking to make those corrections and get better the next time we’re faced with those periods for sure.”

That’s the measured, polite Musgrave speaking. The impassioned Musgrave addressed his players in a different manner, according to QB Christian Ponder.

“He had a great metaphor of lighting a fire,” Ponder said. “He finds some unique ways of motivating us. But it works. I’m not going to go into details.”

As Wiederer writes, Ponder was pushed for more detail and was asked if props were involved in the motivation tactic.

“Yep,” he said laughing. “Let’s just say it involved a bucket of water, some leaves and some sticks. It was interesting.”

It may well have been interesting. But it was also effective. The Vikings offense rebounded nicely on Tuesday, looking sharp in many of the team periods and even capping off a few drives with game-winning scores. One was to WR Percy Harvin on a deep pass down the middle of the field and another was finished by a Blair Walsh 57-yard dagger that split the uprights and had plenty of extra distance.

“It was important for us to step out and have a good practice today,” Ponder told Wiederer. “We made a point of it [Monday night], to have more enthusiasm. And we did. It was a great way to bounce back.

“He’s (Musgrave) quiet, but when he gets on the football field he gets a fire. He’s not afraid to yell at people, and he expects a lot out of us. He does it in his own way.”

Musgrave’s way is clearly the right way for the Vikings offense. As head coach Leslie Frazier mentioned to reporters after practice, every offense will experience times of adversity. What matters most is how the offense responds. Under Musgrave’s direction, the Vikings offense responded well on Tuesday.

That’s the sign of a good motivator, and of an offense going in the right direction.

Tags: , , , ,

46 Responses to “Vikings Offense Responds To Musgrave’s Motivation Measure”

1. By billbobagons1 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

It is nice to see things working in the right direction. skol Vikings!!!!!

2. By HCG. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

By the Purple, For the Purple.

3. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Wobbles– wrong sport.

One of the main challenges to covering a NFL team during training camp is covering all the bases.

4. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

And I think it sounds much better to say in and not to. Reserve to for your infinitives.

5. By Spencer on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

This is Mannys year.

6. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

This is Titus’ year.

7. By Spencer on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Arceneaux will be our Victor Cruz.

8. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Aromadishu will shine.

9. By tdurfeightyeight on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Actually it is the year of the dragon…confuscious says

10. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

More like Confusion.

11. By therealdon on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Titus, I do have a problem with you. #1, you are not the real titus, I can tell from a few grammatical errors that Titus would not make. #2, the real Titus is just a bit too high on himself. #3, all I did was say that anyone can pretend to be someone they are not while online. #4, I also said I would not dispute #3 with you. The real Titus would have read the post more carefully, and he is generally not bothered by what others have to say about him. #5, Titus let us all know, a few weeks ago, that he would not be commenting untill the games begin. All indications point to you, as an imposter. I’m sure that Titus is reading the blogs though. If you read this, give me a shout out when you start commenting again, “real” Titus.

12. By vikingology1 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

The Vikes will either go 6-10 or 10-6-lets hope the latter.

13. By therealdon on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Wobbles– wrong sport.

_________________________________________________________________
    The real Titus would have written a post like this.
    One of the main challenges IN covering AN NFL team during training camp, (note the comma) is to cover all bases. (also note the use of an, instead of a. although an is generally used prior to a following word that begins with a vowel, it can be used prior to an abbreviation, such as NFL. Go back to school fake titus.

14. By tdurfeightyeight on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

why would anyone wanna be like tight (titus)?

15. By therealdon on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

The real Titus is a bit pretentious, but he is an okay guy. I don’t think he has actually blogged for some time now. The last blog I saw, that was likely Titus, was mr. Herr Von Titus, (or something like that).

16. By Tark on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

So, how about talking some football? It’s always kind of neat to see a coach use a unique motivational tactic. As long as it’s not Les Steckle eating fake poo from a baby diaper. What the heck was he thinking?

17. By tdurfeightyeight on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Love,Bown,or DeGere should start over Phat Phil at R.T.

18. By tdurfeightyeight on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Oops i meant Brown

19. By Roninmn.. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings will destroy the P.C. Packers. Don’t ask me what the P.C. stands for. Go Vikes, all the way to the playoffs.

20. By novascotiavike on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaE9vlrhX-k Season’s here, you will find me on vikingsblog.com

21. By novascotiavike on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, vikingsfootballblog.com

22. By tdurfeightyeight on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

More info about the Vikes on vikingsfootballblog.com

23. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I think they like Loadholt as a person and as a lockerroom guy. That has to be the reason the coaches can’t see that he doesn’t have the feet to play tackle at this level. He’s a freakin OG!!! Yeah, he played RT in college…. as in he wasn’t good enough to play LT. Please, for the love of all that is purple, focus on Phil Loadholts actual abilities and find him something else to do. Just keep him off the end of our offensive line on sundays. You’ll note I said please.

24. By SoCalVike on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Excellent point Woodboat….Win or lose I want to see some fire in this team this year,Denny Green did a great job of doing that when he first got here…let’s go Fraiser release the dogs

25. By Frederick Jones on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

@Bill Musgrave,

Use that fire-burning example again during the season!

26. By Frederick Jones on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

@Woodboat,

Yes it has yet to be determined if Loadholt is better than last year. Did you see him play in camp?

27. By Frederick Jones on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

It may be smarter to pick up a tackle during the pre-season over a wide receiver. I think we have some wideouts who can play, given the opportunity.

Toby will need the chance to run the football, and Webb/Ponder will need time to chuck it.

28. By Richard1A on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Motivation? they need Mel Gibson to come in and give his Braveheart speech!!! Drekar

29. By Deer Tracks* on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

therealdon (Titus?)

30. By rory from n.w.ark on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I REALLY BELEIVE THAT WITH THE STADIUM ISSUE NOW RESOLVED ,AND A GROUP OF COACHES THAT HAVE ONE GOAL, BRING A WINNING TEAM BACK TO MN,I SEE SO MUCH PRIDE IN THIS GROUP OF PLAYERS,ALONG WITH A TALENTED BUNCH OF NEW COMERS,AND THE BELIEF IN EACH OTHER,HELPING EACH OTHER SO UNSELFISHLY,THEY ARE TRUELY BECOMING THE TEAM WE ALL WANT TO SEE ON SUNDAYS,WAIT AND SEE THE VIKINGS WILL SURPRISE EVERYONE THIS YEAR ,JUST WAIT AND SEE…..STILL HOLDING AT 10-6 AND I REALLY BELIEVE IN THE END WE WILL BE CONTENDING FOR A PLAYOFF SPOT…GO VIKINGS…..

31. By VegasVike on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Ooh good one Dear Tracks!

32. By Deer Tracks* on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Glad you think so..Sure reads like Titus, but we will really never know, huh.

33. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Shouldn’t Musgrave have shown his motivational skills last year before the late game collapses last year. Come on man MOTIVATE during the game too.

34. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Burton is gonna be the man. Areceneaux and Aromashodu likely fight for the last spot depending on if Jenkins is healthy. If not both will make it. Till Simpson is back then the player who produced will stay.

35. By Dueyz on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

@ Woodboat

I might have put it differently, but I agree with your point on Loadholt. I’ve seen his lack of agility from day one, and wondered why it isn’t being addressed. A guy his size could be used in some very valuable ways, but he has been and will continue to be eaten alive out on the edge by guys getting around him and into our backfield. If a novice like me can see it from his couch, I know the staff sees it. Are they afraid to hurt his feelings or admit they put a talented guy in a spot that doesn’t utilize his skillset? Ponder better get used to rolling the other way…

36. By Dueyz on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

…and when Ponder does roll to his left, I am looking forward to seeing Kalil show how to shore up an edge for his QB. SKOL!

37. By Frederick Jones on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

@Dueyz,

Remember Charlie Johnson in the LG. Where will Webb/Ponder roll, to the left or the right? Either way opponents will get people through. The Vikings HAD BETTER pick up another OL!!!

38. By Dueyz on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

@ Frederick Jones

What do you think about sliding Loadholt inside? Whether 1 spot or 2? I’ve considered it would be a better fit for him. He’d have less space to work with, which would make his lack of agility less of a weak point. Ideally the line should be tighter towards the center, and I think keeping a pair of shoulders on both sides of him would allow him to use his power and size, and detract less from his speed.

39. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I think the problem with moving him inside might in fact be his massive size. Loadholt would likely step on and break Sully and the new RT(Love or FA McNeil).

40. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

McNeil if Love can’t get healthy but then again McNeil has a long injury history. If it comes to the draft to replace Loadsofholds then the best two options are D.J. Fluker and Jake Matthews(Clay’s Cousin)

41. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Another option and one I’m sure Ponder would like is if the Packers cut Andrew Datko and the Vikings would bring him in.

42. By Dueyz on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

On Loadholt…Frazier understood this idea as a DC. He brought in Winfield against NO, PHI, and CAR. He attacked all 3 opposing O-Lines on their right side with GREAT results. Winfield, at 5’9″ 180 lbs, destroyed the right edge of these offenses. Sacks, fumbles, some returned for 6. Our right edge has to be atheletic enough to at least attempt to slow down more agile opponents. If a refesher helps, go view Winfield”s highlights. This is O-Line strategy 101.

@rogerthevikefan

Loadholt is a great athelete; what position would you place him at to better use his skills?

43. By Dueyz on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Bringing in a slightly smaller, more agile, faster person to the right edge of the O-Line will help us, I have no doubt. It WILL buy Ponder 3/4 sec average more time before contact and allow the running game another .75-1 yds per carry average. Those stats add up.

44. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

@Dueyz
    Great no. Good yes. He is one of the best run blocking RT in the league. But he does’t have the lateral quickness to stop a edge rush. Maybe have Ellison or another TE lead the edge rusher into him before going out on his route.

45. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Draft analyst said coming out of college Loadholt was a RT only but with the league becoming P@S$ happy a RT has to do more the run block. It be great if he finally stops edge rushers but if he doesn’t there are alot of guys in the draft who can do his job for cheaper with better results.

46. By Dueyz on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

@ rogerthevikingfan

I guess my thought was that I like Loadholt thus far, and would definitely want to keep him around. I’m positive he could do some great things, IF used the right way. I agree he lacks the agility to block in open space. However, I don’t think we should dedicate a TE, or any player period, to assisting him in order for him to play his role efficiently. I just don’t think RT is his strong suit, so I’d like to put a person there who better fits the position requirements. And why not try Loadholt at a couple other spots to see where he shines? I don’t see him going to a Pro Bowl at RT; and I know we’re going to see some DEs eat him up until we adjust. If I were the opposing defense, I’d attack his edge regularly.