Player Blog: Rookie WR Greg Childs Checks In From Mankato

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 31, 2012 – 6:26 pm

We at vikings.com are lucky enough to have rookie WR Greg Childs blogging for us here in Mankato at Verizon Vikings Training Camp.  Below is his first entry on how the first few days of camp have gone for him.  Make sure to give him a follow on Twitter at @TheGregChilds85.

What’s up everyone? My name is Greg Childs, and I’m a receiver for the Minnesota Vikings. This year is my first training camp in the NFL and I’m loving every second of it. It’s a lot of hard work, but nothing worth it ever came easy, right?

We reported to training camp on Thursday, July 26 in Mankato, Minnesota. I rode down with Jarius Wright, a close friend of mine and also a wide receiver. He’s cool. We grew up together in Warren, Arkansas, we played together at the University of Arkansas and then we were both drafted in the same round of this year’s draft by the same team.

So far the practices have been tough. There are a lot of good players up here in the NFL, but I love the competition and know that I have a lot of work ahead of me. I’m looking to represent my family and all my fans the best way I can, and that’s by always playing hard and never giving up.

I plan on checking in with you guys regularly during camp, so don’t forget to come back and read about what’s going on with myself and the Vikings. You can also keep up by following me on Twitter. My handle is @TheGregChilds85.

That’s it for now. See ya’ll later!

Posted in All | 45 Comments »

45 Responses to “Player Blog: Rookie WR Greg Childs Checks In From Mankato”

1. By vikingmike on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to Minnesota! We look forward to seeing J Wright and yourself on the field.

2. By PurpleNation on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Yes what the first guy/gal ^ said! :D

3. By Mike on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

I was happy to hear you are set on being the steal of the draft. Know that there is always someone else going the extra mile so you have to put in mental reps after practice too running routes in head and making sure playbook is second nature. Quicker you get to that point, quicker you can use all your abilities. Make sure everything from sleep schedule to eating habits is consistent with that of an all pro. Focus on all the little things. Gotta get routes crisp, gotta know in advance what to do in situations. Gotta know everything you can about your opponents in advance. Both individual CB matchups and the type of defenses and the weaknesses. Gotta be in the best shape at all times. 1 to prevent injury, 2 to help recover more quickly and 3 to improve abilities over game, and 4 to still be at the best for the 4th QTR and late in season when others wear down. randy Moss, Chris Carter, Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice not only were talented, they Worked hard.

I believe you and Jarius Wright can be very great and will constantly push each other to be better and be positive influences on each other, I will be rooting for you.

Skoll Vikings!

4. By Spencer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Wish you the best out there and hopefully you can become a solid starter for many years to come.

5. By Roninmn.. on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Nice to hear from you Greg, glad you are able to practice and show them what you can do. You are going to be a great receiver. Oh ya. don’t forget to stock up on winter clothing. Tell Josh Robinson we love the note he left on the cheese mobile.

6. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Sounds like a well-grounded young man. This duo of WR’s may be a staple to our offense for the next several years. Hey Spencer, how is Warcraft coming?

7. By VegasVike on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Sounds awesome Greg, it sounds like you know what it takes to be a leader plus you got a roomie you know! That has to make life seem more comfortable. Can’t wait to see you play, good luck this year and thanks for the blog. Hit me up when you come to Vegas lol!

8. By Spencer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Sigh, for the last time Titus, I dont know play that!

9. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Ha ha ha — Spencer, okay, okay.

10. By Spencer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Just 10 more days till some pre-season action!

11. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Really? That is so soon.

12. By Spencer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

So many players I cant wait to see in live action.

Les’ Go!

13. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Les will go, Spencer– he is the coach. First game at San Fran?

14. By Spencer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Haha you know what I mean.

GO Team USA!

Skol Vikings!

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. By VegasVike on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

All I know is I’m gonna bro down with the rookie of the year in Vegas! Greg Childs!!

16. By ponderthefuture on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

skol vikings!!! hope for a season that will surprise everyone

17. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, that was a bit weak. Inhale deeply, then yours will be like this:

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

18. By Spencer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Im pretty winded.

Baroo

19. By Cali Packers Fan on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

You vikings fans are good at blowing stuff.

20. By Spencer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

I hope Rodgers blows his ACL.

21. By rogerthevikefan on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Sharon likes to blow Clay.

22. By Parody on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

This new Player Blog is a nice idea, but while reading it I got the feeling that it was a bit forced. Kind of like reading papers from the first week of an introductory course, written with just enough context to meet the requirements of the assignment.

Hopefully I’m wrong with that and Childs (and any other player that joins in later on) is doing this because he wants to. I’d hate to learn this is an extra requirement that the organization is dropping on the new guys just to maintain PR.

23. By Garrett on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

LOL at packer trolls and the responses haha

24. By Matthias on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Carlson has a sprained mcl… At least it is not a tear.

25. By rory from n.w.ark on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

GREG,IVE WATCHED ALL YOUR COLLEGE GAMES IN AR ,YOU AND JARIOUS WERE GREAT IN ARKANSAS PRO STYLE PASSING OFFENCE,,I KNOW YOULL BOTH DO GREAT IN MN,,,I WAS SAYING BEFORE THE DRAFT, THAT WE NEED TO LOOK AT THE RECIEVERS AT AR,THEY MUST OF BEEN LISTENING ,I KNOW YOU BOTH ARE TALENTED ENOUGH TO DO WELL YOUR FIRST YEAR…..GO VIKINGS

26. By vikings4life on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Greg Childs if not this year next year will be a force to be reckoned with, has great size speed hands, i like mike jenkins and aromashadu but truly hope that we go with Greg Childs on the roster his upside is unbelievable.

27. By Carl K on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@Greg Childs- Glad to have you as a Vikings… and thanks for taking the time to blog. Very Cool!
    Question:
    Do you have a special endzone dance planned for the NFL, or will it be a business as usual approach when you score that first TD as a pro?

Also, who has been the toughest Vikings DB to line up against at training camp?

28. By VegasVike on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Cali Packer DOUCHE is back. Must have gotten his dial up working again. Mike W, can you put him out to pasture?

29. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Vegas, just ignore him. I think he needs therapy– maybe it helps him to be around a team who has the coolest name in the NFL and the best uniforms. Cali may also be spying because he knows the Vikes are seriously rebuilding with a young cohesive team. Who knows– we may take the division this year– next year for sure.

30. By Frederick Jones on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

If the Packers defense is the weakest in the league, all it would take is for an injury or two any where on the offense for them to become a weak team.

Then all the Vikings have to do is knock of the Bears and Lions.

But for Fred’s sake, he predicts 8-8 for the Vikings.

31. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I sincerely believe the Pack will have problems this year– you can be sure there are psyche issues after going 15-1 and losing at home in the first round of the playoffs to a team that almost fired their coach two thirds through the season. There are blueprints on how to beat them now and no one will take them lightly, but no one will think they are invincible– a couple early losses and the team will be in internal disarray. Pack will be 8-8.

32. By ozzinator on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Oz likes Freddy’s predictions, however seems a bit conservative.

33. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Vikings or Bears will win the division.

34. By ozzinator on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@ Titus – That would be Vikikngs, of course.

35. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Of course, but you know how most of the bloggers are– be optimistic and believe you are a winner and they cut you down– OH, we must be realistic you know!

36. By Richard1A on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to MN, Skol, do you think you got what Moss, Carter had, awesome skills, talent, not afraid to show it? Can you play many positions like Harvin if needed? perform like Peterson if you have to? What about Solomon Elimimien on D, he was outstanding in Canada, can he make the transition to the NFL? from a players point of view, are the Vikes looking like the Purple People Eaters of old?
    Thanks, good luck, hope you make the team.

37. By Rudso on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to the Vikings Greg. When I heard the story about you and your buddy Wright, I was so glad the Vikings drafted you together. I watched some tape on you and I think you have what it takes to be a #1 WR for the Vikings just make sure you take care of your body and put in the study time so you can be full speed all the time.

Here is something for motivation when you guys start the pre-season games. Victor Cruz took advantage at his chance in a pre-season game and look where he is now. Good luck Greg.

38. By DRS on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

New Blog

39. By Diamond Jim on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Woo Pig Vikings!!!! Skol!

40. By Vikings1 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Hi Greg,

Not only am I a Vikings fan since they came into the league in 1961, I am also a razorback fan from Tollette, AR. I was really very happy when you and Jarius were drafted and have followed you and Jarius’s career at Arkansas. I am really pulling for you both and I know you both will do well, welcome to the NFL especially the Vikings.

41. By celticvikingwarrior on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@ Richarda0…..Did you SERIOUSLY ask a kid, who by the way wasn’t even BORN for a DECADE OR MORE AFTER THEY RETIRED, if this VIKINGS defense is “playing like the PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS of old”.
    Are you F’ING KIDDING ME, did you EVER even see that defense play even one game.
    There will NEVER BE ANOTHER “PEOPLE PURPLE EATERS” defense ANYWHERE !!!
    I actually had to read that three times as I could NOT BELIEVE MY EYES…..
    That has to be the stupidest question I’ve EVER SEEN POSTED HERE !!!
    CONGRADULATIONS !!!!

42. By Richard1A on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Cough cough, as a matter of fact I have seen every game they played from the early 70′s, it was ment to pump him up, not to insult or belittle him! yes I was quite the jock when I was younger, I was on 20 different sport teams, including basketball and football (It was also all I did when I had free time) I was a die hard Vikings fan, 1p.m. sunday, every weekend, had countless alan page number 88 shirts. I am not your average dum football fan, I have watched and played for alot of years. Utilizing S. Elimimien and Griffen into the linebackers would make this defense much more tenicious. I was’nt the best defensive lineman but I did have a game with 6 tackles behind the line, 2 for sacks,,,yes I like football! @the celticwarriorviking

43. By Richard1A on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

20 teams between basketball baseball football.

44. By Spencer on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

2. Jul 31, 2012: Players Only: 2012 NFL Training Camp Blog » Blog Archive Greg Childs checks in from Minnesota Vikings’ training camp «