Don’t Forget: Vikings Will Hold Full Training Camp Practices In Afternoon

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 25, 2012 – 5:58 am

In just days, thousands of Vikings fans will make the trek to Mankato, Minnesota to watch their football team prepare for the upcoming season at 2012 Verizon Vikings Training Camp. Mankato has been the Vikings training camp home for 47 consecutive years, meaning both the team and its fans have grown accustomed to day-to-day life in that setting.

There is a change to this year’s training camp schedule, though. And both the team and fans will be impacted by the change.

In recent seasons the Vikings have held practices in the morning and walk-throughs in the afternoon. This year the team will flip that schedule, instead choosing to conduct a walk-through session in the morning and then hold a full practice in the afternoon. As you can see in the training camp scheduled posted on vikings.com, the Vikings will hold their one-hour morning walk-throughs at 10:30 a.m. and then will begin their practice at 2:45 p.m. (concluding most days at 5:30 p.m.).

It’s important for fans to note the times of both walk-throughs and practices because many fan-favorite events are scheduled around those events, such as: morning autograph sessions, Minnesota Vikings Cheerleader clinics, youth football clinics, and various Vikings Village activities.

This change in schedule has many benefits for both the team and fans. Here are just a few of them…

– The morning walk-through schedule allows for better autograph access for fans because players may be more engaging and willing to sign since they won’t have just concluded a demanding practice.

– Walk-throughs are conducted at a more relaxed pace, which will allow fans who’ve seen the morning session in the past a chance to see players in a different light.

– Regardless of which practice session fans attend on a daily basis, they will see the entire team. In the past, select afternoon walk-throughs included special teams work only. With walk-throughs scheduled for the morning, more of them will include the entire team.

– Having padded practice in the afternoon makes for a longer day of activity at training camp, including inside the fan-friendly confines of Vikings Village. Fans can come early and stay for both practices, rather than in the past where fans would come early and leave by early afternoon once the padded practice concluded.

– With fans potentially sticking around later in the day, local businesses could see a boost in activity.

Tags:

102 Responses to “Don’t Forget: Vikings Will Hold Full Training Camp Practices In Afternoon”

1. By Mike B. on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

2. By Mike B. on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Yes time to get football going.

3. By cbednar74 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I don’t understand why the Vikings report to camp on thursday, when here in illinois the (cubs) report today & practice tomorrow doesn’t make any sense to me!!!

4. By DRS on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Kalil one of three unsigned top-10 picks

5. By DRS on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Countdown to camp: Eight under-the-radar players

6. By DRS on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Vikings sign tackle Kevin Murphy … again

7. By DRS on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I really wonder if the Minnesota Vikings staff really knows what they are doing at times; it looks like to me that they are running around like chickens with their h-e-a-d-s cut off. Signing, then waving and then resigning players, not signing their 4th round pick in a timely matter. What’s up with that? I feel this will be great team if the staff can get its act together, later one and all.

8. By DRS on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Sorry that should have been 4th overall not 4th round. later

9. By DakotaKid59 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Lets get this thing going. GO VIKINGS GO

10. By DeerTracks on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Visanthe Shiancoe signed a 1 year contract with the Patriots.

11. By DeerTracks on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Visanthe Shiancoe signed a 1 year contract with the Patriots

Really wasn’t that great last year with the Vikings.

12. By rogerthevikefan on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

AS$MONKEY! NU TS! B@LLS! HIPPOHUMPER! WOBSAUSAGE!

13. By rogerthevikefan on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Wow so can’t discuss footb@ll but can say random stupid sh1t.

14. By rogerthevikefan on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

OMG! OMG! Kristen Stewart cheated on Rob Pattenson. OMG! OMG! The world is falling apart. Since I can’t talk about football I guess I will continue to say random cr@p.

15. By Frederick Jones on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

The Patriots aren’t that great. ESPN says they’ll win the Super Bowl!

I hope they finish 8-8 or worse!!

16. By rogerthevikefan on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

RG3 will be known from now on as Bob Griffin. Atleast according to Giants DLinemen Osi.

17. By OTKalil2012 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I think the Vikings have a good shot at going 9-7 this season…

18. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

19. By OTKalil2012 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Maybe the Vikings are going to find a way to upset their new LT in Kalil by not getting him signed before camp starts…

GET KALIL SIGNED…

Or just wait and see…It will end up being a distraction…

I can see reporters swarming Kalil already tomorrow asking him about contract negotiations…

GET IT DONE SPIELMAN !!!…

If not you open the door for trouble…And it will be your own doing !!…

20. By andrew neighbors on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

GET KALIL SIGNED DAM!!!

21. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Your good or you suck, sorry but im not paying you for 4 years if you suck at your job . If Kalil is this great tackle and hes confident in his abilities. What does he have to worry about? This is about protecting the future of the team. This is a non issue if Kalil pans out, but its a loss of revenue for years if he doesn’t.

22. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Smart move on changing practice times– as Mike Wobschall wrote in an earlier article, it is beneficial to the players. I imagine working out until 5:30 pm is great because it is the hottest time of the day. Real beneficial.

23. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Just FYI — currently the dewpoint is 73, which is unbearable, and the temp is 90 in Mankato.

24. By Parody on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – What if he gets injured? The team wil have every right to cut him. Why are you taking the side of the owners on this one? They won big when they got the rookie wage scale put in place. It’s allowing them to pay high draft picks like Kalil a lot less. A couple years ago, he would have been able to hold out for a contract with a signing bonus larger than his maximum allowable contract in the new system, and he eventually would have gotten it.

I say the owners need to stop being so fickle and pay these guys the top end of their contracts unless they went and did something really stupid right after the draft, like forgetting to misplace their keys before they stepped into the bar.

25. By Bluebird7 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Fred Visanthe Shiancoe is a 10 year veteran, 5 of which he played for the Vikings..He will have to play much, much better for the Pats to be any good..

26. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Wow, Bluebird, I never knew Visanthe’s first name is Fred. Where did you find that information?

27. By KoN on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Packers released Charlie Peprah, he could be a good veteran presence to start opposite Smith and help the young, raw guys like Raymond and Blanton learn the position. He’s played pretty well the last two years and he could come relatively cheap.

28. By RichardA1 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

D-E-F-E-N-S-E……if Solomon Elimimien can play as good as he is it will be a top rated defense.

29. By Frederick Jones on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Blue Bird,

I never said anything about Shiancoe joining the Patriots. I just don’t like the way Belichick operates. Oh, he’s a smart person alright…just not alway ethical.

30. By Frederick Jones on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

@RichardA1,

I hope that Elimimien is as good as you say. The Vikings need some good surprises if they are going to contend this year.

31. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Fred, can you truly be smart if you are unethical?

32. By KoN on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I’ll agree that Belichick is not necessarily the most ethical of coaches, Fred (see Spy Gate), but he is probably the best Coach/GM so far in this millenium and will likely be counted among the best ever after his retirement.

33. By KoN on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

That depends upon your definition of smart, Titus ( sorry, I know you were addressing Fred , but I felt a need to respond). Personally I believe that, yes, a person can be smart and unethical. I believe that Hitler was a very smart man, he had to be to manipulate as many people as he did. However, that does not mean that I would ever think, “I want to be as smart as Hitler.” He was an evil person with a complete disregard for human life and irrational hatred of certain groups of people, unfortunately for the world, however, he was not stupid.

34. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

KoN, I was certain someone would mention Hitler. Really, what it comes down to is how you define intelligence. The shooter in Colorado the other night was apparently brilliant, highly intelligent. But I believe in a definition of intelligence which is more holistic, and there are many examples of different forms of intelligence. For instance, my IQ is pretty high, but my emotional intelligence is through the roof. I would argue for a more complete definition of intelligence and perhaps we would have a more compassionate society. Well, only in a dream or at the second coming.

35. By Bluebird7 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Titus, The post was directed to Fred sorry forgot to put a space after Fred.
    Must be nice to never make a mistake, right Titus?

Fred, I was just making a comment, If you don’t like it, don’t read it, OK?

36. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

WHOA, I am way off topic! I just realized. Will I be placed under a Time Out?

37. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Bluebird, it was a joke– relax– I could not resist, it seemed funny to me.

38. By ODIm on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

The smartest thing would be to rest APAD and swallow some pride. Let him hammer the hard post bye schedule and give us a chance for wins, and maybe playoffs. If Stafford and Rodgers are hurt, it is not impossible for us to win the division. Doing so with a fresh AP would be very smart.

39. By KoN on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I completely understand your viewpoint, Titus, and I definitely agree that our society could use more compassion and understanding. I just tend to use the word smart in reference to the traditional definition of intelligence.

40. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I agree KoN– I tend to as well, but thought it was interesting to think about in response to Fred’s post. At any rate, we better stay on topic–

41. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Wobbs you made a new we signed Rhett Ellison- but you wont write one for Josh Robinson?

42. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

*made a new blog

43. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Kalil still isn’t signed/

44. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

?

45. By Carl K on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- is that really you asking for a Josh Robinson blog?
    I knew you had a soft spot for J-Rob deep down in that heart of yours.

46. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I do have a little soft spot for the 3rd rounder, but i”ll always feel this way:

Josh Robinson < Bobby Felder

47. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

That is the one and only Spencer, for sure.

48. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been so high on him this off-season so if Felder gets cut im going to look foolish. But I guess theres a first for everything…

49. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

What was that Spencer?

By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply
    I’ve been so high

50. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been getting my Jerome Simpson on.

(̅_̅_̅_̅(̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅̅_̅()ڪے

51. By OTKalil2012 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

52. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, is Simpson any good?

53. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Hes above average, but hes not a #1 WR.

54. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Aromodishu is our best WR.

55. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

What? Aromashodu is garbage.

56. By 61Vikings on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Kalil, Matt’s brother, took out an ad in the Charlotte newspaper, guaranteeing that the Panthers will win the Superbowl this year, while Matt, in typical Minnesota Viking fashion, remains unsigned and can’t guarantee anything!!

57. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Wait and see Sir Spencer, wait and see. Titus makes the bold prediction Armoashodu will be our star WR by mid-season. You all heard it here first!

58. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Seriously, a grown man punching a 7 year old?

59. By 61Vikings on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Aroma-shoes is garbage!! If he’s our best wide out by mid-season, will have 2-3 wins under our belt!! If he makes the team I’ll be surprised!!

60. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Realistic.
    Optimistic.
    Pessimistic.
    Delusional.

More times than not you fall under the delusional category Titus.

61. By Ekolu on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Im getting sick and tired of all the haggling, just sign Kalil and take out the idiotic language. Every top 10 draftee has had the onset language abolished, so why cant the idiot office of the Vikings do the same, there is no justification as far as Im concerned.

62. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

By 61Vikings on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

———————————————————————————————–
    No, he will be our best WR, meaning he will not play as you think he will, and we will be 7-3 at the break– at the Bye week.

63. By 61Vikings on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

@Titus
    Love the optimism and would love to see any of our wideouts have a great year, but knowing what happened last year with this team and our offensive line, I would bank more on one of our TE’s having a great year, because Ponder will have to get rid of the ball quick!!

64. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I agree– our TE’s may be our best weapons right now, especially with AP out (although I have been a supporter of Toby since day one). But I don’t believe it is an either or. Our WR will shine too. Hey, we can dream right now, can’t we? We are currently 16-0.

65. By Frederick Jones on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

There are many unethical coaches, just like there are unethical people. I suppose I might like Belichick if I met him. But the image the public sees is not the one his players see. Think in terms of Joe Paterno. Some coaches look great to the public, but will do anything to win.

I actually admire some of Belichick’s ideas. Heck Hitler had some great ideas. He screamed like a little baby for hours, and it worked! Thanks KoN for that Hitler reference.

66. By Frederick Jones on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

@KoN,

I don’t mind if someone answers my question, even if it was addressed to someone else.

It would be different in person!!!

67. By Frederick Jones on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

All NFL teams are 0-0 right now. It’s better not to hatch your eggs before you lay them!!!

68. By Frederick Jones on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

8-8 is a very high aspiration for this young team. To predict higher is asking for disappointment.

69. By 61Vikings on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

@Titus
    No, currently every team is 0-0!! One thing going for the Vikes this year, is our schedule is on the easy side, except for our division, which I believe is the toughest in the NFL!!

70. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I wish our coach was like this.

71. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Fred Jones, if I spoke to you like you just did to me you would be whining at me; Stop harassing me, I don’t know why you are so mean! Whine whine. HA HA HA.

72. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

One prediction I am certain and confident of making– we will have more wins than last year.

73. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

About 7 to 9 more wins.

74. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Wow Titus, you have a lot of posts and your still going strong.

Has the post count been eliminated?

75. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Wobschall knows better than to mess with an Emperor.

76. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

77. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

78. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Wow, Spencer, I think I reign once again! I am past the time out boundaries!
    Victory!

79. By Spencer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

LMAO.

80. By Bluebird7 on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Titus: (See, I didn’t give you a new name) Will Wobschaall give us any video of the Team work outs? I also liked what I seen last year of Amomodisnu,
    He should be very good this year as well.

81. By rogerthevikefan on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

10-6 Vikings will make the playoffs. Ponder’s arm will do the heavy lifting during the season but AP will be the one to carry the Vikings through the playoffs and to the 1st ever Viking Super Bowl win. The Vikings will show the sorry dirtbag Aints how to be a TRUE CHAMPION!

82. By rogerthevikefan on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Although this will only come to p@ss if Kalil is signed before camp. Get it done Spielman!

83. By qb on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

84. By qb on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

85. By OTKalil2012 on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

86. By OTKalil2012 on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Aromashodu is average at best…

I also wonder if he will make the final roster cuts ?..

Knowledge of the offense might keep him around…More so than his talent levels…

87. By Carl K on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Just don’t hear Ponder talk about Aromashodu or Manny much.
    Ponder seems to be excited about these guys:
    J Simpson
    P Harvin
    G Childs
    J Wright
    S Burton

Those 5 WRs seem to be the ones Ponder keeps talking about.
    So that means 1 spot left for a veteran. Will it be M Jenkins, Aromashadu or Manny? Maybe Wobby is right and Bryan Walters might have a shot at that 6th WR spot.

88. By Smith on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

I just rewatched the game against Denver yesterday. Aromashodu played great in that game and Burton had a couple nice catches as well.

89. By rogerthevikefan on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Ponder said in a interview on NFL.com that Jenkins doesn’t seem to trust his knee 100%. In the same interview he praised Burton saying he was really improved.

90. By DRS on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

March 2, 2012

Will Alan Page decide Vikings stadium?

Source: profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

91. By DRS on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

92. By DRS on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

If the staff of the MN Vikings does their jobs this year I think the Vikings will be10-6 this year, if they perform like last year we will be 6-10. Later. Off to El Paso TX to see the VA once more, everyone have fun.

93. By Meekay on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

How is Kalil still not signed?! How do you pick someone 4th overall and not sign them?!

94. By purplefolife on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

I think we should cut our point guard and sign Charlie Peprah. He is a ex-packer but i think he can help our safety position.

95. By cbednar74 on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

You never know Jarius Wright or Greg Childs may be the next AC! I think AP will come back within the 1st month of the season & show the NFL just how special & how remarkably amazing a healer he is, but I’m with the people who don’t believe frazier is head coach material he will handicap the unlimited potential this team has!!!!

96. By VegasVike on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Don’t forget afternoon practice? Don’t forget Korey

97. By Frederick Jones on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

VegasVike in da house!

98. By Frederick Jones on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

What we have here is a failure to communicate!!!

99. By Frederick Jones on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

7 year olds ain’t what they used to be!

Try teaching or coaching them for a few years. I wouldn’t punch a 7 year old, but I could see how it could set someone on edge!!!

100. By Frederick Jones on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

About 70% of communication is non-verbal. So that is probably the link to why we do not always understand each others point of view.

101. By Frederick Jones on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

I’m moving to the Kalil blog. I doubt if I’ll come back here again.

102. By sandiamond on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

DRS, you are finally getting more pro football in TX next year in either Austin or San Ant