Roster Rundown: Quarterbacks And Linebackers

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 23, 2012 – 6:32 am

Vikings players report to 2012 Verizon Vikings Training Camp on Thursday and the team’s first practice is on Friday, which means we only have a few more days to complete our Roster Rundown series. We continue the series today by taking a look at the four quarterbacks and 10 linebackers the team will bring to training camp…

Head Coach Leslie Frazier has been clear this offseason that Christian Ponder is his starting QB. Ponder played in 11 games and started 10 during his rookie season, producing mixed results and battling injuries. But this offseason the results have not been mixed – Ponder made huge strides during the offseason program and is poised to take a big step forward in 2012. Jobs are not handed out in the NFL, so Ponder will have to perform well enough to retain the starting job. Based on his performance in the offseason program, though, that shouldn’t be a problem.

After Ponder the Vikings will see Joe Webb battle Sage Rosenfels for the backup job. These two have contrasting styles and are at different points in their careers. Webb surely has designs on becoming an NFL starter one day, and he can continue that quest during camp. Whether he ultimately beats Ponder for the job or not is a separate issue from whether he continues his development as an NFL passer. Rosenfels is a 12-year veteran who is a great complement to the QB meeting room that includes three young players still learning the ropes.

Aside from Ponder and Webb, the other youngster is McLeod Bethel-Thompson. He joined the Vikings via a futures contract this past January after starring at Sacramento State and then playing for the San Francisco 49ers, the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL and then the Miami Dolphins. Bethel-Thompson, an undrafted college free agent, has impressive arm strength and was clearly the best QB in the Vikings rookie minicamp. He was on the Dolphins practice squad to finish the 2011 season, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him make the Vikings practice squad (at a minimum) after this year’s training camp.

———————————————————————————————————————

There are questions at linebacker for the Vikings as they head to training camp, but the good news is there also appears to be sufficient talent at the position as well. Chad Greenway is the best of the group and prepares to enter his seventh NFL season in 2012. Greenway has led the club in tackles the past four seasons and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him do it again this season. The other starting linebacker should be Erin Henderson, who returns to the club motivated after signing a one-year contract this past offseason. Last season was Henderson’s first as a full-time starter, and I’ve identified him as a player poised for a breakout season this year.

Jasper Brinkley enters training camp as the team’s middle linebacker, but there are questions about his durability. Those questions are fair because Brinkley missed all of 2011 with an injury and then missed parts of the team’s offseason program this year as well. Brinkley has declared himself 100% healthy as we approach training camp, though, and once he’s able to stay on the field I see him solidifying the Vikings starting group of linebackers. When E.J. Henderson was lost for the season in 2009 with a leg injury, Brinkley stepped into the lineup and played capably as the Vikings made a run through the playoffs. That experience along with natural progression that comes from two complete seasons after that should have Brinkley prepared to fulfill expectations this season.

After the three starters, there will be great competition for reserve spots among the Vikings LB group. Only two of those players competing for reserve spots are returning veterans. They are special teams standout Larry Dean and two-year veteran Tyrone McKenzie. Dean made last year’s team as an undrafted free agent based on his special teams ability, and he’ll have to be a standout in the same way this preseason to make the roster. McKenzie was the player asked to step into the middle linebacker role this offseason when Brinkley was out of action.

Outside of Greenway, the most veteran NFL player in the Vikings LB group is Marvin Mitchell, a six-year pro the Vikings signed this offseason in free agency. Mitchell had been with the Saints, and with the Vikings he’ll provide depth at multiple LB positions and he’s expected to be a contributor on special teams as well.

The remaining LBs are 7th-round draft pick Audie Cole, former CFL standout Solomon Elimimian and undrafted college free agents Tyler Nielsen and Corey Paredes. At NC State, Cole led the team in tackles while playing both inside and outside LB. Nielsen was a standout at the University of Iowa and Paredes went undrafted out of the University of Hawaii.

Elimimian will be interesting to watch because he’s undersized but he’s also a player who clearly knows how to play the position. He was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Rookie in 2010 and helped his club (BC Lions) win the Grey Cup in 2011. In two CFL seasons, Elimimian tallied 175 tackles, 9.0 sacks and 2 INTs and was voted the league’s “hardest hitter” by his peers.

After the three projected starters, LB jobs are wide open for the Vikings. An ability to contribute on special teams will be crucial for those looking to win a roster spot, but so too is demonstrating sound technique and knowledge of the defensive system. I expect most of the decisions to be made at this position to come down to the final two preseason games later in August.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

101 Responses to “Roster Rundown: Quarterbacks And Linebackers”

1. By Deer Tracks on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

OK, Joe Webb, show them what you have! Go get ‘em.

2. By Deer Tracks on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

What is up with the Lions? Are they trying to catch up with the Vikings?

To see who can keep the most jailbirds on the teams?

3. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Coach Frazier this young man(Banks) is waiting your call for a workout this week. would be nice to give him a bday present tomorrow…….

4. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond- do you think a $60M fine and 4-year bowl ban was too harsh for Penn State? I think it was, what rule violation did Penn State break????

5. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Penn State should not have hired a former fbi director for the investigation. This did not need a wall street type scandal breakdown
    Fire everybody at child services and start over

6. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

If the NCAA really wanted to punish Penn State it should make them play in the SEC West…

7. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

lol spence, that would work!

Honey Badger breakdown:

8. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I think the Honey Badger wont cut it in the NFL- great college player..but just too small.

9. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

fit right in the cover2 system in Minny!

10. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

True, but I think hes gonna be scrub. Anyways to get back on topic..Joe Webb will prove his doubters wrong in the pre-season. I just wanna see Webb throw the ball 6yds to Greg Childs on the fly route- something CP7 can not do.

Now with the linebackers, obviously we all wanna see how E.Griffen does, but im really intrigued by Solomon- small body but big hitter. Cant wait for the pre-season!!!!

11. By Carl K on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

This is Tyrone McKenzie’s year to step up.
    In 2006 as a starting Middle Linebacker for Iowa State, He was 2nd in the Big 12 conference and 8th in the nation with 129 tackles. As a junior at USF, Tyrone set a record for most tackles in a season with 121.

McKenzie has good size and strength at 6-2 245.

I am putting my money on McKenzie to lead the Vikings in pre-season tackles.

12. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Who do you think leads the the team in pre-season ints?

13. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

whoever gets 1 int

14. By DakotaKid59 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

hi

15. By Troutdaddy on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Webb is a good ball player but Ponder is the future of this team and can throw circles around Webb. Spencer- I do not get your comment about him not able to throw on the fly…You need to go back and see some film my friend. Ponder can do it all. I agree that Webb is dynamic and is a scrambler, but that is not the game plan for him right now. I don’t see why many keep trying to make this a debate. Webb is not the go-to guy. Give Ponder a chance to get started before you put Webb in the mix. Preseason is definitely going to be fn to watch- and who knows, maybe Webb may get an opportunity to shine- but for now I am trusing in Ponder to come out a slay some dragons!

16. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Carl, certainly one of the key players to watch during pre-season. I wonder why he didn’t work out in tampa tho……..
    3rd round pick from NE in 2009 that lost his entire rookie season due to an injury during training camp

17. By DRS on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

My question is why have none of the bid wigs at Penn State been fired, and or not been fined for not taking action; they fire the coach, are they not just as accountable?

18. By DRS on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Well I have things to do, later.

19. By vikefan on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

joe webb will be the starter by week 3 cuz ponder will get hurt

20. By Carl K on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond-
    3rd round contract plus knee injury.
    Some times knee injuries take a couple of years to fulling recover.
    What I don’t like about McKenzie is his history of moving a round from team to team (college and pros)… so if he is going to make it in the NFL, I think this might be his last shot.

I think if he is fully healthy, the Vikings will put him on the field a lot in pre-season to see if he can produce. He should know the system more than the young rookies, he has more size than some of the other LBs, plus he can play inside or outside.

Tyrone will either sink or swim this year with the Vikings. I hope he is ready for the opportunity he may get this preseason.

21. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

We need him for OLB depth and pass-defending abilties. Tryone might be considered lucky for such an opportunity considering the vikes didn’t add any free-agents to speak of. yep, do or die

22. By Carl K on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Sandiamond- I am not sure if Tyrone is good in coverage? But then again, do any of our linebackers excell in coverage?

I have seen reports that say he is good as an outside backer covering TEs… And I have seen reports that say he is slow in the hips and lacks straight line speed and should come off the field on third downs.

I can’t wait for camp and preseason just to check out the linebacker battles. Should be fun… they all have a great opportunity to make a splash and put on a show.

23. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Quarterbacks-Our current starter will mesmerize fans this season.
    LB-We should be set on the outside-Jasper Brinkley has a few question marks-would like to see the Vikings re-sign E.J. A bold prediction by Titus you say-we can easily go 14-2 this season.
    BAAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

24. By Deer Tracks on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

14-2?? REALLY???? that is a bit too bold Titus. Me thinks you are smoking too much wacky weed.

25. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

26. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

@ Deer Tracks-It can easily be done with the right attitude.
    OPTIMUS VOIBUS!

27. By URLNOTALLOWED on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

It may be more tha just wacky weed, Titus is usually only high on himself. REALLLLYYYY HIGH ON HIMSELF!!!!!!!

28. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

brinkley,parades and solomon not build to play the outside linebacker position in the nfl. I see it as more ok with middle lb depth

29. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I agree with DeerTracks, 14-2 Titus? That is egregious!

30. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

COMMENT IS ABUSIVE AND HAS BEEN BLOCKED.

31. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

OPTIMUS VOIBUS-it can be done!

32. By Frederick Jones on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Jones laughs at Titus
    he is high on himself.
    High as a kite!

33. By Deer Tracks on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

See spencer, I am usually right. You would do good to listen to me for a change!

34. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Dam, everything was smooth till DeerTracks showed up..

35. By MIke B. on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Penn State deserves the harshest degree of sanctions against it’s football program. They hid continuing criminal activity which is unethical. I think they should have revoked any titles or special considerations for the time that the Football team hid these criminal activities. Being unethical is just as much a broken rule as any written rule. Joe Paterno’s name should be removed from the NCAA records. Governing Bodies need to set the example to be followed and punishment is the only thing many understand. Haven’t we learned any lessons from Watergate?

36. By Deer Tracks on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, Titus, that is NOT the real Deer Tracks. Vikingsfool?

37. By ccfan80 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Ponder will come into his own this year his accuracy has been getting better and with the additions of Simpson and Carlson along with Rudolph and Percy he’ll be fine.

38. By MIke B. on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

@Troutdaddy you’re right on there. Ponder has the presence to be a starting NFL QB. Webb has some skills, but doesn’t show the ability to read down receivers like Ponder can. Being able to escape a situation will work just so often and then they will have a defender wait for the QB to run. Webb is a good backup and wildcat player.

39. By Deer Tracks on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Watch for the fake Spencer to show up now..

40. By MIke B. on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

BTW I am still predicting 5-11 this year.

41. By ccfan80 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Mike B. and Troutdaddy are right and with Ponder becoming a good quarter back we could finish around 6-10 maybe even 8-8

42. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I disagree Mike

The NCAA has never, to my knowledge, gotten involved in a case that had nothing to do with what was going on on the field. The NCAA is in place to ensure that no schools have an unfair advantage at getting players to come there or in performance. The court system is there to take care of matters such as what happened at Penn St., not the NCAA.

43. By Bluebird7 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Wow, you people really have some problems around here.
    On the QB issue, Let us all wait and see who does what at QB. It will be interesting, and watching both of them, will be fun time! GO Vikings!

44. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

thank you for being truthful Mike B. I’m sure to switch to a 6-10 prediction once the other teams’ talent level start to show in pre-season

45. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

from wiki: State College is a home rule municipality in Centre County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania.

home rule? child services is a joke there

46. By Herr von Agustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

JA-Ich sprechen sie deutsch-Mein willens habbe triumph!
    From this moment forward, I shall be known as Herr von Agustus!
    Imposter, you have not the wit to outsmart me!
    Regular bloggers-you shall easily know my true identity.
    Imposter-Class-Nein! Cleverness-JA! Good luck imposter. I shall appear again later!
    BAROOOOOOOOOO!

47. By Carl K on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Spencer-
    Good points… but I do believe Penn State’s actions had a lot to do with what the football program was doing on the field.

If Penn State would have reported the crime, and not covered it up, Joe Paterno’s job might have been in some jeopardy which would have hurt the recruiting.

They covered it up to help the football program. They were trying to gain an advantage by covering it up. Any time a program is doing something to gain an advantage, the NCAA will step in.

48. By Herr von Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

PSU-Autrocious, the activities that went on behind closed doors-If any collegiant team deserves a death penalty-PSU is on top of the list! On another topic-14-2 is very easily attainable. The vikings will triumph over the NFC North. Once again-The Vikings will overcome and mesmerize!
    BAROOOOOOOOOOO!

49. By Herr von Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Ach-Das ist nein der Wein Viking horn!
    BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

50. By Herr von Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Mein apology for the spelling error- It ist not Agustus-it is AUGUSTUS-Mein u ist sticking!

51. By Herr von Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Mein weiner el tiny

52. By Herr von Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Nein-das ist not el-Das ist IST-better brush up on your German-or else go back to school this fall.

53. By Herr von Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

The proper translation is this-Mein pens ist tiny. Weiner is always referred to as sausage-what you are trying to say is pronounced PENS. Nice try though
    As I said earlier-you have not the intellect to outsmart the great Herr von Augustus!!
    BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

54. By Herr von Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Ich genieße es macht keinen Sinn coversation. Ich tue dies, um mich selbst beschäftigt, weil ich kein Leben haben und brauchen das Gefühl wichtig.

Wer ist es, ohne den Verstand jetzt. Idiot

55. By Herr von Augustus on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Gehe Packer gehen. Dies ist Titus der Hochstapler

56. By Troutdaddy on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

english please- otherwise I will start speaking Swedish… My brain says that we go at least 9 and 6 but I am going to take the Titus approach and say we win at least 12. That is what my heart tells me and it tends to be more accurate than my brain so….

57. By No longer Intertained on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Hi everyone, I am the imposter. It has been entertaining watching all of you blame each other and turn their backs on this site. This was my atention all along and I think I have caused enough problems to convert many long time bloggers over to Vikingsfootballblog.com. It has been me all along but now that the season is coming and camp starts this week lets get back to the task at hand.

Your commited blogger

Deer Tracks aka anyname I decide to use on a given day

58. By Carl K on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I knew it was you; however, I must admit I have been posting under Spencer’s name. I am both people I frequently have conversations with myself

59. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Cant say im surprised Carl- everybody posts under me because they have this burning desire to be me.

60. By Carl K on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Im sorry but I was told by another blogger that you were the real imposter still don’t know if that is true but im getting everything out in the open before the season

61. By Matthias on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Herr von Augustus, you are not from Germany I guess, am I right? Stop writing in an other language. At least I understand what you say. Titus, a imposter? I don’t know.

62. By Carl K on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Mr. imposter… I only make on topic comments… if you want to be me (God Lov ya) you need to talk football.

63. By Troutdaddy on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I have one word for all of you imposters/name-changers. DORKS! Now- back on topic- As far as line-backers go- Audie Cole and Solomon Elimimian are going to both be very good. It is going to be a good battle to watch. Both are strong and can hit like a hammer.Nielsen and Paredes I think have their work cut out for them…

64. By Mike B. on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Just as the NFL has taken actions against wrong behavior so now has the NCAA. This is a good thing. Spencer, I am not sure what to say about your comment. I may be assuming, but doesn’t conduct off field make a difference and that behavior has conscequences. I think it should, if you don’t you may need to evaluate your values system. Just my opinion.

65. By Tru green n gold on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Go packers!!

66. By TonyMontanaAD on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Hoq can a player who’s never won anything on ANY level, have made “huge” strides in an off-season program?

They weren’t wearing pads, and he still found ways to make stupid mistakes…

If the Vikes want to see this team succeed, they need to stop Pondering their QB situation…

Joe Webb will end up playing more games this year, and we’ll see he’s both durable and accurate…..unlike the kid that was drafted last year…

67. By Ed on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

i think joe webb should be the starter cus when hes in there he makes sparks fly the crowd even gets going cus he turns that team into a different attitude get the job joe

68. By Maple Tree on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

+spencer

69. By Hog A$$ on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

no longer intertained
    How about this one. I don’t think that deertracks would mind.
    Or the other ones you like to barf on..

70. By mnsoldier on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Joe Webb is not NFL QB capable. he was a good college QB and he is an average NFL receiver, he needs to give up the ghost about being a QB and learn how to be an NFL receiver or he will be out of a job way to soon.

71. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

the ghost of joe webb! that’s exactly what he will be if the front office opens up trade doors

72. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Im tired of people saying Joe Webb should switch to WR- newslfash, its not that easy! Just because he has height doesnt mean hes the next Randy Moss. Webb can not catch the football.

Why not just move Aromoshadu to CB since he has good size. I mean all he has to do is learn zone coverage and he should be good to go, right? See how moronic that sounds..

73. By Frederick Jones on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Spencer you made a great point about Aromashadu switching to CB. It is not that easy.

Besides people, we need a quarterback. What if Ponder doesn’t pan out? Did you geniuses ever thing that one through?

74. By Frederick Jones on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings had to stand pat in a number of areas. Linebacker and Defensive Line were two of those areas. We had to improve the OLine and DBacks first.

Next year those might be the two key areas for improvement. We’ll just have to wait and see.

(It might be OLine again because other than Kalil, we apparently haven’t done much.)

75. By Frederick Jones on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

I did not write this one:

By Frederick Jones on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Jones laughs at Titus
    he is high on himself.
    High as a kite!

76. By Frederick Jones on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

My comments are always in PURPLE.

77. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Fred, titus is on extended time-out… thank goodness

78. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Whats your problem with Sir Titus sandiamond?

79. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

titus, the name and all such a ruckus and hes probably loving it

80. By RichardA1 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I’ll be rooting for Solomon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

81. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond- were you high on Juron Criner?

82. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

spence- somewhat, why?
    it was mainly sanu,quick and aj jenkins

83. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Go Solly!!!!

84. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Because hes been tearing it up in Oakland. He|| they have so much trust in him that they just traded Louis Murphy to the Panthers.

85. By sandiamond on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

spence, he was one of the tallest of the bunch 6’4 . We’ll see , could have been an option besides wright or childs

86. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

The only knock I had on him was that hes slow as dirt- but if things continue to progress he could be a Plaxico type of WR..

87. By Titus foggious flamingo vespariuos beeber on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

solomon

88. By Spencer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Wobschall-

Wouldnt the logical pairs be: RBs/FBs, WRs/TEs, Oline/Dline, CBs/Safties, and QBs/LBs?

89. By Titus foggious flamingo vespariuos beeber on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Elliouminiuoounmm

90. By VegasVike on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

QB’s/Kickers Spencer

91. By VegasVike on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Or how about a Rostet Rundown on Bloggers?? That would be interesting!

92. By VegasVike on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Or better yet! A ROSTER rundown on bloggers. Good thing everybody else is on central time and sleeping. Nobody saw my blogger blunder.

93. By Woodboat on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

@Fred…

Other than not showing Loadholt the door, I think the Vikes made some good decisions with the O Line. Kalil… no need to tout his abilities… stud. Charlie Johnson wasn’t much as a LT… his body type and skill set are those of an OG, which is where we’ll see him. Sully at C… meh. I guess he’s pretty good. They picked up that kid from the Panthers to duke it out with the young guys already on roster for the RG spot. BUT… then we get to the walking offensive holding penalty that is Phil Loadholt. If they would only move him inside to RG and give someone with actual FEET on the end of their legs the RT job, we’d be in pretty good shape.

94. By celticvikingwarrior on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

THIS IS PURE B.S. I DON’T COMMENT FOR A FEW DAY’S, COME BACK AND SPEND A FAIR AMOUNT OF TIME TRYING TO COMPOSE A WELL THOUGHT OUT ELOQUENT POST ON A RELEVENT SUBJECT, WITHOUT ANY SHRED OF A POSSIBLE TABOO WORD OR PHRASE—ONLY TO BE SHUT OUT !!!!! SO I’M SURE THIS WILL MAKE IT………..

95. By Lloyd Santee on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Come on, let’s see who could win the starting in an open competition between Ponder and Webb. webb should’ve had the chance to at least fail, if nothing else, last year. it looks like Coach Frazier is going with Ponder so I guess it’ts a moot point. Good luck Vikes, I’ll support whom ever starts! SKOL VIKINGS!

96. By Bluebird7 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

I don’t really care which QB plays.. They are both good!
    Just go out and win us some games! That means the whole Team!

97. By Troutdaddy on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

So funny that people actualy thin that there is a QB dilemma. There is no dilemma folks. PONDER is the starter. Closed case. Quit debating. Webb is not going to be playing any time soon other than some preseason to see who is going to be the backup. So quit whining and give our starting QB a chance.

98. By dan on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

The article lost merit when it stated jobs are not handed out in the NFL. It’s what they do all the time. Like when Childress announced Chester Taylor the started before he actually held one practice, to McNabb, to Ponder. Ponder didn’t deserve starters status last year, he was drafted and paid for it. The Vikings will continue to be a 2nd rate franchise until they actually let players earn positions…

99. By SmileyStar on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know why Ponder has been CHOOSEN. Doesn’t make any sense. Webb has way more potential. Plus Webb is more reliable than Ponder, How long do you think Ponder will be able to play this season, before Webb has to come in?

Saying that there is no QB dilemma in MN, is like saying that there is no cotroversy in NY. It always sprouts up when the starter isn’t the best player in their position. And the QB position is supposed to be the leader of the Team and provide the spark that helps push the team to overcome adversit, not just sit in the pocket and make throws. Haven’t seen that from Ponder. Webb has done it!!

100. By Leanna on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

Everything is very open with a clear description of the issues.
    It was definitely informative. Your site is extremely helpful.
    Many thanks for sharing!

2. Aug 2, 2012: Locals in "The League", News and Notes - Hawaii Football » Hawaii Football