Roster Rundown: Cornerbacks

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 18, 2012 – 6:38 am

Last week we started our “Roster Rundown” series by taking a look at the wide receivers. Today the series continues with a look at the guys who will guard the wide receivers during training camp – the cornerbacks.

The Vikings ranked 26th in total passing defense (yards allowed) and allowed the most passing TDs in 2011, causing the club to make significant additions and changes to the secondary. Before we get to the new players, though, keep in mind that the secondary will see an immediate boost with the return of Antoine Winfield and Chris Cook. They are the two best CBs on the Vikings roster, and together they played in just 11 games last year. Their return bolsters the Vikings pass defense and sets the stage for other CBs on the roster to fill in the voids.

There are two other returning veterans on the Vikings 2012 training camp roster. Marcus Sherels made last year’s roster as an undrafted free agent out of the University of Minnesota. Aside from carving out a role on the defense, Sherels increased his value by becoming the club’s part-time kickoff returner and full-time punt returner. Brandon Burton, a 5th-round pick from last year, will also return to the club for training camp. Burton played in 10 games with 1 start in 2011.

The Vikings used both the draft and free agency to add talent to the CB position. In free agency, the club signed Chris Carr and Zack Bowman to add a veteran presence to what is otherwise a young position group. Carr began his career as a special teams ace in Tennessee and then became a regular in the Baltimore Ravens defense. He’s the early leader to be the team’s third CB, but there is plenty of competition for that spot as well. Bowman has some position flexibility to him and trained at both CB and safety during his time with the Chicago Bears.

In the draft, the Vikings used a 3rd-round selection to beef up the CB position by selecting the speedy Josh Robinson. The fastest man at the Combine (clocked a 4.29 in the 40-yard dash), Robinson’s speed will help him recover from natural coverage miscues as a rookie, and his 5-10, 192-pound frame will allow him to battle receivers on the outside. If he performs well in training camp, Robinson could earn himself a significant role on the defense immediately.

Others who will come to Vikings training camp looking to compete for a roster spot include Bobby Felder, Corey Gatewood and Nick Taylor. Felder was a standout over the Vikings final two days of the offseason program, Taylor is a former basketball player from Florida International University who is looking to transfer his hoops skills to the gridiron, and Gatewood was signed by the Vikings late in the offseason program (on June 4).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

54 Responses to “Roster Rundown: Cornerbacks”

1. By Chaz on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

2. By Mark B on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

The battles for roster spots at this position is something that intrigues me this year – almost as much as the WR battles. With the host of young talent and the right mix of veteran leadership, training camp could signal the return of the 2010 secondary. My guess is Cook and Carr will be the early starters with Winfield the nickel. I expect them to hang on to Robinson and Felder leaving Bowman, Sherels, Gatewood and Taylor fighting for that last spot – with Sherels winning. Depending on his play, I could see Robinson taking over that second starting spot opposite Cook during the season.

3. By Kyler on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

mother of god….a new blog. To bad it’s a rehashed story I have heard atleast a dozen times in the last 2 months.

4. By sandiamond on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Not sure how Josh at barely 5’10 can line up outside and cover 6’2 receivers in the nfc north. Here is a quote from Josh after the nfl combine:

Many people, including the NFL Draft Advisory Board said you would not get drafted by the 3rd round, was that motivation for you, going into the combine?

Oh yeah definitely, that is what made me work so hard. People don’t know my capabilities, and I am ready to prove everyone wrong. This was just a beginning; I am not done showing the doubters wrong.

5. By TitusandDeerTracksLoveChild on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

There is no battle, We all know who is going to be our CB’s

1. Chris Cook
    2.Chris Cook
    3. Chris Cook
    4. Chris Cook
    5. Antione Winfield (just becasue he used to be a beast.)
    alternate Josh Robinson to return kicks

6. By DRS on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Titans hit field for TCF Bank Stadium battle: Coke vs. Pepsi

7. By DRS on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Mark Dayton: Minnesota Vikings’ arrests linked to excess of ‘idle time’

8. By DRS on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Classic Minnesota Vikings video: Watch their 1972 game against Pittsburgh Steelers

9. By DRS on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I was 10 when that game was played.

10. By sandiamond on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Frazier please end the madness by putting pressure on Robinson to compete for an outside cornerback spot! Let the young man develop as a nickel/dime corner and a potential electrifying punt-returner

from: SBNation

Cornerbacks (6):
    On The Roster: Zackary Bowman, Brandon Burton, Chris Carr, Chris Cook, Bobby Felder, Corey Gatewood, Josh Robinson, Marcus Sherels, Antoine Winfield

You Like Me, You Really Like Me: Winfield, Cook, Carr (nickel), Robinson/Sherels (Dime), Burton

Grab Your Playbook. The Turk Wants To See You: Bowman, Felder, Gatewood,

Rationale: I like the direction the Vikings are going in the secondary. Antoine Winfield, God Bless Him, only has a couple years left, but if he’s healthy, he’s still pretty good. Chris Cook was having a very good season until he had his off the field issues, and Chris Carr was the John Carlson signing of the defense–talented but injury prone guy that could be a big asset if he can stay healthy. Pencil him in for the nickel job, or put him on the outside and move Winfield inside in nickel situations. And he can also spot start if injuries hit the secondary again like they did last season. I would be stunned if third round pick Robinson doesn’t make the final roster, and he will push Marcus Sherels for the dime spot. And I still like Sherels and Burton for depth and special teams play, as Sherels will be in the mix for kick and punt return duties.

11. By DakotaKid59 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

We wouldn’t need to go far to improve on last years preformance.What we really need is alot more INTs. With all the presure we can put on a QB that should not be to hard to do. Getting Winfield back will help alot!!!

12. By DRS on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I am looking forward to this season, I have a feeling this may be a better year than most say it will be. Here is to the rebirth of the purple people eaters.

13. By DRS on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Later

14. By Spencer on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

LCB: Cook
    RCB: Carr
    Nickle: Winfield

Thats all I know for now..

15. By TitusandDeerTracksLoveChild on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Spencer all I know is that you Sir are wrong.

The way our coaching staff thinks they will decide that Everson Griffen is too good an “athlete” to keep of the field and have him playing RCB next to The point gaurd we signed from florida. Their thought is that he will be a good passer in the backfield and be able to hit the open tackelers.

SMH… I’m worried about this year. And I can’t stand Matt Barkley, so please let us finish at 500 so we don’t get the first pick, but still get a good enough pick to make drastic improvements in 2014

16. By sandiamond on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

test

17. By sandiamond on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

awesome video! h o n e y b a d g e r at 1:29

18. By vikingbob136 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Thanks DRS! Now i have to find that song on Itunes and put it on my daughters
    ipod. That’s what i get for putting the volume up and dancing in my skivvies!!

19. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Some deranged minds posting lately. I will be back when the season starts. Way too much to do– going back for another degree in September– just found out I was accepted!!!! So Titus has a whale of things to do. See you guys on game day.

20. By thenaj17 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Titus – why would you rather .500 and not make the playoffs, than get 1st overall and then TRADE down to a team desperate for Barkley and gain what the Rams did this year?

If we don’t make playoffs, i know which i’d prefer

21. By Semper Vikings on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Bobby Felder, I want him on the roster. Some of the best ball hawking skills I have ever seen. We need some big plays out of our secondary this year.

22. By Spencer on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Thats right Semper Vikings, Bobby Felder is the truth- REMEMBER THE NAME!

23. By Anthony on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Six Corners will make the team.
    LCB: Cook
    RCB: Carr
    Nickle: Winfield
    Backups: Robinson, Felder, Bowman

24. By vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

@ Titus, if that is really you. I’ve been blogging on vikingsfootballblog.com. It’s not that bad. The comments are in good taste, much to my surprise. Imposters are not allowed, and most people seem to get along quite well. You should give it a try, if you’re not satisfied with it, you can always choose not to post. I sincerely mean it, when I say, that you may like it.

25. By vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

And I am not Wobby. I stopped posing as others when the post limit began. I feel that it was precisely that kind of behavior that began the timeouts. If that’s true, I’m ashamed of those actions. Now, if others would act the same, maybe this blog would improve, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

26. By vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Everyone seems to think that Winny will be a nickle guy this year. He is getting older, but I feel he still has enough juice left to be on the field during two reciever sets.

27. By Vikingsfoolisawhinningfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Why do fools fall in love. Because they only make stupid whinning comments. How bout you actually bring somthing worth talking about to the blog Vikingsfool. We are all tired of you saying the same thing over and over again. Please go to your other blog site and don’t come back.

28. By Kurt on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I really like Bowman. I think he will surprise alot of people if he comes in injury free. He is an athletic force to be feared.

29. By Vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Im calling it now Bowman will practice durring training camp at saftey. He did it in chicago and will do it here. There is a good chance that he will be out other starting saftey.

30. By Parody on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

What’s worse, whining about the same thing over and over again, or whining about a whiner? hypocrite…

31. By Spencer on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Vikingsfool- Bowman is probably going to get cut. Many writers are saying he will be lucky to even make on the team as a special teams player.

And even if he did transition to safety- he wouldnt be starting over anybody.

32. By Spencer on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

…………………Mistral Raymond……………………………Harrison Smith…………..
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    Chris Cook………………………………………………………………………….Chris Carr
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    …………………Chad Greenway………..????…………..Everson Griffin………….
    …………..Jared Allen………..Kevin Williams………??????………Brian Robison

33. By Spencer on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Childs……………Kalil. Johnson. Sullivan. Fusco. Loadholt…………..Jenkins
    ……………Percy…………………………………………………………..Carlson……….

……………………………………Toby..Ponder……………………………………………..

34. By Spencer on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I wanted Carlson to be a little more to the left, but ehh- close enough/

35. By Parody on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

You’re starting Carlson over Rudolph? What about Schwartz? With the contract he got, I expect him to be the starter.

36. By Parody on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

And you already have Griffin beating out Erin Henderson as the OLB? Henderson was deemed the best OLB on the market this year. I doubt that he’ll lose the job to anyone…but he might transition over to the middle.

37. By Spencer on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

38. By ccfan80 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

We need speed on the field on defense we need to try to find a way to get Robinson on the field =. He was the fastest player at the combine and some experts see him being a solid cornerback in his future.

39. By vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

That was not me.

40. By vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I’m in purple, that’s how you know if it’s me.

41. By vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Who ever you are. I hope you know that you will be the death of this blog.

42. By vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Great upload Spence!

43. By dockery23 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- Carlson is not ahead of Rudolph!!! not even close!

44. By dockery23 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

……………………..raymond…………………………smith…………………………………………..

………………………..greenway……brink………henderson………………………………………..carr………………………………………………………………………………….cook………………………………rodeo……k.williams….guion……..robison…………………………………….

45. By dockery23 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

that got f’ed up, you get the point. Im not too worried about brinkley. I think he will be ready and will do just fine on 1st and 2nd down or any short yardage situation. It will be Greenway and Henderson on the field mostly anyways

46. By PURPLE 12 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

WINFIELD AND COOK ARE THE OBVIOUS STARTERS AT CB ROBINSONS SPEED WILL GET HIM OF THE FIELD ALSO SHERELS HAS EXPERIENCE AND BIG PLAY ABILITY …THE REST WILL HE HARD PRESED TO MAKE THIS ROSTER

47. By SEAL on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

CB
    1. Cook
    2. Winfield
    3. Carr
    4. Robinson
    FS
    1. Harrison Smith
    SS
    1. Zach Bowman/Robert Blanton/Mistral Raymond

48. By vikingsfool on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Mistral Raymond, I think he will be next to Smith. Bowman is on his last legs, and Blanton, well, I don’t think he will be ready as a starter yet.

49. By DoWnToWn Kevin K on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

More importantly Asher Allen is gone, that will make the secondary dozens of points better!!! He was the worst player I’ve ever seen. a walking highlight film the wrong possible way.

50. By sunnyazvike on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

bobby felder was supposedly used more at safety than bowman, this is the first i heard of bowan at safety. would love to see felder at free, while we use smith at strong.

51. By sandiamond on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

52. By RichardA1 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

And don’t forget the Solomon Elimimien train, get on, he’s going to be awesome, and then some……………………………………………….

2. Jul 18, 2012: NFC North Daily: Hot Breakfast News Links for July 18th 2012 | Sports Hits
  3. Jul 18, 2012: NFC North Daily: Hot Breakfast News Links for July 18th 2012 | :: Sparxxrx LLC ::