Ponder, Offense Made Strides During Offseason Program

Posted by Mike Wobschall on June 25, 2012 – 8:49 am

What a difference a year can make. Last year at this time, Vikings QB Christian Ponder was preparing for his first NFL season away from Winter Park due to a lockout. Calling teammates he’d never met to organize workouts, working with coaches who wouldn’t be with him during the upcoming season and learning a playbook without the help of those who put it together.

A year later, the situation is much better. Ponder began preparations for his second NFL season by going through the Vikings nine-week offseason program and working closely with coaches and teammates.

By design, Ponder and the offense were a slow-go at first, struggling through OTA #1 with too many mistakes and not enough completions. But there was a quick bounce-back, and that’s key for a young QB looking to develop a long, successful career.

One moment that illustrated Ponder’s progression early in OTAs came during a 7-on-7 period. On the first play of the period, Ponder had a deep pass intercepted by CB Chris Cook. On the next play, Ponder dropped back and rifled a pass into the center of the field to hit WR Stephen Burton between two defenders. As Ponder jogged back to the huddle, Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave barked “Way to bounce right back!” Later in the 7-on-7 drill, Ponder found Burton once more on a perfectly-placed intermediate pass among three defenders to the right side and he finished the drill by finding a speedy Jerome Simpson running a dig route.

Ponder’s ability to learn from mistakes and respond to adversity has everyone at Winter Park optimistic about his future.

“I think his decision making has gotten a lot better,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said last Thursday. “Just seemed where he was a little frantic early on in OTAs, getting the ball out a little too soon or not recognizing things as quickly as we would like for him to. Now, things have kind of slowed down a little bit for him. He’s able to identify things in pre-snap a lot better, which is something we were all hoping for.

“We think as we give him more reps and keep throwing more things at him, he should get a little bit better in that area but the decision making is a key ingredient to being successful at quarterback and that’s an area we want him to get better and we’ve some improvement in these OTAs.”

Ponder agreed with his coach’s assessment that the offense made great strides during OTAs and minicamp.

“Just to see from day one of the OTAs to the third day of minicamp, we’ve progressed so much,” Ponder said after the team’s final minicamp practice. “It’s unbelievable, especially on the offensive side of the ball. You can tell everyone’s so much more comfortable and confident in what they’re doing, even myself.”

In addition to making improvements on how he operates the offense, Ponder also commented that he’s beginning to develop a rhythm with those who will catch his passes this season.

“I think we’ve built a ton of chemistry, especially with Jerome [Simpson], obviously with him being new,” Ponder explained. “I thought what we did together was really great and also with Jarius [Wright] and Greg Childs, those new guys. I think we’ve all learned a lot and I think, for me, picking up blitzes and learning how to do that and recognizing things a lot better. I think the game’s really slowed down in just these ten OTAs and three days of minicamp.”

Tags: ,

128 Responses to “Ponder, Offense Made Strides During Offseason Program”

1. By RichardA1 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

and after our defense totally demolish’s there team offense our offense will look good doing it!.

2. By Herold Tonak on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I noticed ponder said for me picking up the blitzs and learning to do that and recognizing things a lot better. It seems likke he should have already knowen that from high school. Go Vikings

3. By DeerTracks on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Ponder this, Ponder that..Nice to see he is trying to find a way to throw the ball to the guys on the same team!

Now, is Joe Webb going to get some touches, or all we will hear is Ponder Ponder, look! he can even walk on water! WOW!….Give Webb some time!!

4. By vikes420 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

joe webb… i like the guy he can make plays but only with his feet. he not a good qb tell me one game to where he made a throw.. that u were like wow what a pass.. yea thats ryte he hasnt dude can jump really high thats bout it i say give him year or to at wr ponders our best chance to win

5. By mgr4fun on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

gr8 article mike thanks … sounds like things are on track … time for a little
    R & R … then mankato for 3 weeks and 4 preseason games will give us all the answers we need … i know for a fact that OTAs help in developement of chemistry and go along way toward developing units (o-line & d-backs) just becoming a team … this diehard purple bleedin fan is really lookin forward to the fall … the purple certainly hav some tremendous talent to put on the field … i really think toby and adrian will get 1000 yds rushin this year!

6. By kevinwi on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Ponder is the starting QB….end of story….no if’s, ands or buts about it. Webb is and probably always will be a capable backup. I also will take a shot to say Webb may be traded during the camp. Team is high on McLeod Bethel-Thompson…kid has an arm.
    Team will make strides this year…too bad we don’t play in the NFC West…we could be a playoff team…as it sits though, we’ll be a .500 team in the NFCN…GB and CHI will be tough to beat…CHI moreso IMO with all their new offseason offensive acquisitions. Detroit…I’m not near as high on. no running game, one WR and a shaky backfield.
    GB has a great QB and some nice receivers….that masks a lot of deficiencies in the defense and running game.

7. By Jordan Adams on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I really really like Webb but I agree that Ponder is going to give us the best chance to win. Pocket Passers tend to do better than Scramblers. Joe Webb should be used the same as last year, he is one of the best athletes on the team, give him playing time.. He’s too good to keep on the bench.

8. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

kevinwi – I was just saying the same thing about Webb over on the latest MMM. The advertisement on Bethel-Thompson is that he has a strong arm and was showing good promise in camp. Why not develop him into a solid backup and stop leading Webb along?

The Eagles might be interested in a new backup for Vick. Webb could very well develop into Vick’s eventual successor all while getting a few starts every year to build experience. In his 3 years with the Eagles, Vick has missed 11-games. That would give him a great opportunity to develop.

9. By sevendust on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the updates Mike. Does Jerome Simpson look
    like he has pro bowl talent? .I went to one Bengals training camp and
    he out performed Chad Ocho Cinco and Terrel Owens in that practice.
    Making highlight diving catches.

10. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Webb is not an elite caliber QB. Ponder is. Period. End of argument. Finito. Nest topic!

11. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Neither is “elite” yet. It takes a few years of outstanding play to be thrown into consideration with the elite class. They have been unremarkable so far. The argument is that Ponder has a better chance of developing into a good starter, to a similar mold as Eli Manning. But many people would argue, even after two Super Bowl wins that Eli isn’t elite, (maybe he would be if he converted to TE).

Manning is a successful player, but just doesn’t make enough spectacular throws to convince many of us.

12. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Many? I only know of one, by the name of Spencer. Eli is the best QB right now. And Ponder is the next Tom Brady. Next question please. You are boring me.

13. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Next Tom Brady? That would be great, but child please! What do you have other than your own hopes to base that prediction on?

Since you are making claims without supporting arguments, I’m just going to end this “debate” now. You’re right, I’m wrong and there’s nothing I can do to change your opinion because you would first have to admit to being human.

14. By carlk300 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Slow down on McLeod Bethel-Thompson! His college stats at Sacramento State were NOT so hot.

8 TD and 13 INT. 136-256 for 1615 yards.. 54% comp.
    He many have the tools, but he can’t seem to produce or stay on the field.

Miami and San Fran both gave up on developing this kid.

Don’t you think it would be wise to see if McLeod can complete a p.a.s.s in the NFL before you guys trade off Webb.

You guys sound silly.

15. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Wobby when you gonna post a break down of the minicamp pratices? As in the stuff that happened on the field. Not the mini circus that Harvin started.

16. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Ponder is better than half the QBs in the league. But he will need more time to be put in the elite cla$s. I believe he will be a great QB soon.

17. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Who’s to say that Bethel-Thompson is even going to get a chance? Right now we have two #2 QBs, one of them has hopes of becomming a #1. It doesn’t make sense to keep him on a team that refuses to give him that chance. Bethel-Thompson would just be around for the extremely rare case of the previous two guys getting injured. I think it would be much better to trade Webb now and get a draft pick with hopes of developing a player who is going to produce something more than depth on the practice field.

18. By ViperKO on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

People said that we will finish at the bottom of the Division again, i say from 3-13 season, we will switch it to 13-3 season just like P. manning did. Go Vikings~!!!

19. By carlk300 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

It makes sense to keep Webb because:

Ponder has a history of injuries.
    My grandma Nellie throws harder than Sage.
    My Grandma Nellie is younger than Sage.
    Webb is an electric playmaker.
    Webb is a team player.
    Webb has the best arm on the team.
    Webb has more value to us than to any other team.
    Webb has the best enzone dance in the NFL.

Most teams have their 1st and 2nd team QB situations lined up now. Maybe a team would be interested in trading for Joe Webb as a backup… but no team would give a high draft pick for a backup QB right now. Cleveland is having a hard time trading Colt McCoy.

20. By SoCalVike on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I wish all the Ponder haters would just shut up and let’s see how he does this year with a full off season program,last year was a mulligan and our whole team sucked big time….even Manning could not have saved us!

21. By ikethevike on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Agreed! you’re spot on socalvike

22. By Jim on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I just have 1 word to say…..WEBB,WEBB,WEBB!!!!!!!

23. By RobSkolVikings on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I’m certainly not sold on Ponder, but I’m gonna give him a chance this year to prove himself. BUT, If he doesn’t show me some signs that he can make the throws, and put together some drives, then Id rather see somebody else get a shot-

24. By DeerTracks on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

vike420

You want some info on just how good Joe Webb is?Listion up and I will try to instill a bit of history for you.

Last years Detroit game. After Ponder got laid out and Joe came in to try to win the game and was driving for a Touchdown on the 3 yard line, And would have most likely done it but for a Facemask on him that nearly took off his head, (not called by the “Official standing ten feet away looking at the bird flying over)..

Al Michaeals and Chris Collingworth both calling the game, had nothing but praise for Joe Webb on his passing and running..

Why is it when other QB’s take off running when their receivers are covered, everybody says WOW look at him go. But when Webb does it, “Oh Gee Whizz, he shouldn’t do that”….

All I am saying is that Joe Webb be given just as much respect that “Throw it to the other Team Ponder” is given.

One Last item: All you Anti-Webb people pound sand in your ear..Before the season is half over Joe will be needed when Ponder is on the sideline with Frazier trying to glue him back together again. Vike420 watch a few games, then tell me Webb is or isn’t any good.

25. By DeerTracks on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

SoCalVike

I don’t hate Ponder, just sick and tired of some Jokers saying “Trade Webb, Ponder can walk on water.”.As far as I am concerned, Ponder is “good”

But Webb is just as “Good”, if not “Better

26. By dumber on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Defenses beat up QBs, with or without a bounty. They will all get some time out there because of how dangerous the game is. Webb could make a great gadget man- relief valve, lateral, option to run/pass away from traffic. Put them both out there with tricks up the sleeve. Give Perdy, Simpson ane company a few extra seconds……….

27. By Kurt on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Im tired of hearing about Webb. Show me a highlight where hes dont something amazing. You cant. Avg Qb/Player at best.

28. By DeerTracks on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Kurt

I take it you haven’t watched any games Webb was throwing the ball and running!

Don’t shoot off your mouth until you have!

29. By iaVIKE on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

DeerTracks – When has Webb ever done something amazing while throwing the ball? He has played in 16 games and has 3TDs and 5 INTs. Anything “amazing” that he has done has been on his feet, where he is an exceptional athlete and is exciting to watch. But Webb will end up right next to Ponder as you say “where Frazier will be gluing them back together” Look at Michael Vick…running QB’s do not last in this league.

30. By iaVIKE on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

*Run first QB’s do not last in this league.

31. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Ponder has a history of injuries. That’s why we would have Sage and McLeod on call
    My grandma Nellie throws harder than Sage. Which team does she play for?
    My Grandma Nellie is younger than Sage. So she and your mother were 14 at conception?
    Webb is an electric playmaker. Then send him to the Chargers
    Webb is a team player. So are other guys, they also play regularly on Sundays
    Webb has the best arm on the team. Then why did we need to draft Ponder? Part of having a good arm is having an accurate arm.
    Right now no team would offer anything more than a 4th/5th round pick for a backup QB. Better than letting him walk and getting nothing.
    Webb has more value to us than to any other team. Doesn’t provide much value if he never plays.
    Webb has the best enzone dance in the NFL. So sign him up for dancing with the stars.

I think it only makes sense to keep Webb around if we are making a legitimate playoff run. He’d be good value to the team in case our starter goes down. But most fans have already accepted that we’d be happy with an 8-8 season. We’re in rebuilding mode, and I don’t see Webb as part of the equation to build a team with longterm success.

32. By DeerTracks on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

parodymmxii

You are so funny (not) maybe be on TV? I am not one of those “Fans” accepting a 8/8 season! You and the others will see Webb in action soon enough.

33. By DeerTracks on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

iaVIKE

Go back and watch ALL of his games! I have because I taped all the Viking Games.

34. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Oh, DeerTracks, that really hurts…especially coming from somebody so intelligent and enlightened…

35. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Ponder has many similar attributes to Tom Brady. Period, End of Story.

36. By 27yearsaViking on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I am just checking in to see how the converstation was going because I only come around during the season when there are sufficient topics of conversation. Thanks deertracks for confirming why I will talk to you all in about two months. Unitl then keep up the positive thoughts with the new, young, promising, and stadium covered Vikings…..skol!!!

37. By chris_b on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

After this year we will probally have #7 from USC thats if speilman and coaches can admit they wasnt a 12th on ponder

38. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

First off, Parody, I ain’t no child. Obviously, from your limited self-awareness, your projection of your own limitations reflect brilliantly on the screen as you type. Just because you are immature, does not mean the world mirrors your own reality. Get a grip– you ain’t as smart as you think.

39. By carlk300 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Parody- I will try to go toe to toe and match your wit.

Sage and McLoed as an injury insurance policy is a scary thought.
    Nellie plays for the Houston Panthers Lingerie football team- problem is grammy thinks she is a cougar.
    Why did we draft Ponder if Webb has a good arm- You can’t have too many good young QBs.
    Webb will be on dancing with the star after he helps the Vikings win a Super Bowl.
    8-8, 9-7 puts the Vikings in the playoff hunt picture. So yes, we need Webb for our playoff run.

Great points Parody… I give you an ataboy for your fine use of bold type. Nice.
    But I am keeping Joe Webb. I would rather have him hold a clip board on our side lines than to try and stop or contain him if he plays against us.

I will give you major points for using bold type

40. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Clap clap Parody! Boldface font! Whoa dude! Cowabunga!

41. By carlk300 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

footballknowitall-
    child please is an expression that is very popular among Greg Childs’ fans.
    google it for the meaning… Parody is not calling you a child.

don’t be so sensitive… a good debate can be enjoyable.

42. By Spencer on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Ponder is without a doubt the better quarterback.
    However Webb gives us the best chance to win- thats what I believe.

Just like how Kyle Orten was clearly the better quarterback for the Broncos.
    But Tebow gave them a better chance to win.

43. By Spencer on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

And Carl- the phrase “Child Please” derived from Chad Ochocinco.

44. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Ha ha ha– what rock have you guys been under? Child please is way before any of these receivers– and yes, I enjoy a good debate. But there has to be substance on both sides.

45. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Too much ignorance in these parts– gots to go!

46. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Good idea Footballknowitall. I can think of no more effective way to reduce the level of ignorance here.

47. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Brilliant wording Parodymix. Just for that, as a public service, I better stick around and try and help out — maybe a little of my intelligence will rub off.

48. By carlk300 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- I agree Ponder is the better QB. You might be right about your Tebow QB comparison with the thought Webb gives us a better shot to win. I am not going to agree or disagree. I am just going to watch and see how things shake out this year. I think we can win with both QBs. However, I will say that I think Ron Jaworski had a good evaluation of Ponder ranking him around 28th. The things Jaws was critical of about Ponders were – making good reads, decisions and accurate throws- those were supposed to be his strengths coming out of college. Those are the skills that should set him apart from Webb. We shall see if Ponder improves in areas he should excel in.

thanks for the Ocho “child please” tip… I didn’t know that.

49. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Your intelligence is rubbing off already. I can tie my own shoes now!

50. By carlk300 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

He only has a little intelligence to go around… Save some for me… I want to learn how to blow my nose.

51. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Can I at least call dibs on learning how to use the potty by myself?

52. By Greatirishpotatofamine on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

If joe Webb could have completed a pass against the bears Jared allen would have the sack record

53. By emp88 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

You wanna see Webb play some games? I hear preseason is approaching. Cause thats the only time you’ll see him.

54. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, but Child Please goes way back– way back before any Chad Oinkboko!!!

Parody, you are evolving. Next we will work on buttons.

55. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Ponder is by far the better QB– the next Tom Brady or Drew Brees– intelligent, modest, polite, and hard work ethic— just wait and see. I would throw Rodgers in there, but not unless a huge semi-tractor trailer were driving by at high speed.

56. By carlk300 on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Parody, but I think footballknowitall can only shows you how to set down and pee pee. Good luck with that.

57. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

No need footballknowitall, I gots the kind of buttons that press together!

58. By Spencer on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply
    Ponder is by far the better QB– the next Tom Brady or Drew Brees.
    ———————————————————————————————-

59. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Parody — we will put you on training wheels for a while– velcro until you can button your own shirt.

60. By Spencer on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply
    Ponder has many similar attributes to Tom Brady. Period, End of Story.
    ————————————————————————————-

61. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, care to rumble?

62. By Mike B. on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Webb is a great athlete, but is not a great QB. He doesn’t have the skill set to be a starting NFL QB. Webb can make plays with his feet, and possibly win some games using the skill. He doesn’t have the abililty to take a team to the playoffs. Ponder has the background and ability to stay in the pocket and complete his reads. He does the things starting QBs do. I am not saying Webb can’t bring things to the team, but as a wildcater or backup QB. Deertracks you are just as all about Webb as others are about Ponder. I mean really. The vikings organization has made their decision maybe you can get behind the Ponder bandwagon. Frazier is hanging his career on Ponder. Ponder is the starting QB so all the talk will be about the starting QB. Webb is the backup he’s got the clip board.

63. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Nice post Mike B.

64. By Mike B. on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Spencer you shouldn’t talk much. You backing a CB that can’t tackle and has issues with self control.

65. By Mike B. on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I think it is premature to compare Ponder to Tom Brady. It took a long time for Brees to find the right situation to be successful.

66. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I agree Mike B., but I can hope– Ponder seems to have the raw materials. They just need, as you said, the right environment, which includes proper coaching, supporting cast of players, and a bit more experience.

67. By spencethesavage on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Cook aint paid to tackle.

68. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Footballknowitall – No, mommy said no velcro. That just crosses the line into lower class too far. She said I might as well be some idiot who is a self-proclaimed know-it-all.

69. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – Keep the vids coming! I’m loving it.

70. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

@DeerTracks, Carl300, Jim, and a few other smart football fans,

You guys have obviously been paying attention when Joe Webb plays QB. The rest are something else. We could have two good QBs in MN. It’s possible, but not if Joe Webb doesn’t get very many reps in practice.

Fran Tarkenton’s nickname was “the scrambler,” yet there were many games where he did not leave the pocket more than 2 or 3 times. But the media hyped him up as just a scrambler.

Joe Webb has all the tools to be an NFL QB. He is smart, tall, has a great arm, mobility, and confidence. All he needs is time.

71. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

It sounds like Chris Cook might be here to stay.

72. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Parody,

Trade Joe Webb? We wouldn’t get anything for him right now, unless there is a Vince Lombardi or a Dennis Green who can see the potential in this young man!

Trading him makes no sense. What if Ponder goes out with an ACL? Most good franchises have more than one good QB.

73. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer,

Thank you for those graphics on the Bucs and Dolphins.

First, I’m just saying that we should not get over-optimistic and then blow a thousand brain cells against the head coach because the Vikings didn’t meet our expectations.

Second, How are those teams doing now? It’s better to build slowly!!!

74. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

Read my post to Spencer above. That one also applies to you.

(I said I would not call anyone names, and since I said that I have not. You might want to give JONES a little credit.)

75. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Let’s create a parody of parody. OOPs, wait, it’s already being done. Live, on vikings.com.

76. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Fred – We may not get a good enough offer for him, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. The team isn’t going to improve any faster with him as a backup. As I said earlier, it only makes sense to keep him on board as insurance if we have a legit shot at the playoffs this year. That doesn’t look to be true, and since we have another promising young backup on the team, would you rather cut him and keep the one you know is half-decent for one pointless year? Or would you give the younger guy a chance to improve into a decent backup for when we will have a legit shot at the postseason?

77. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Honestly, I would like to see everyone relax and stop being on this “either, or” kick.
    Ponder and Webb are our two QBs– both are capable. We can win by having both on our lineup– Ponder is the number one. Period. Can’t handle it? Good, get over it!

78. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Parody, no playoff run this year? You never know. I think it is possible– maybe a bit unlikely, but possible. Always prepare for the unexpected.

79. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey everyone– give Jones credit. Clap, CLAP, Clap, CLAP. There, Jonesie, feel better? Or do you want some credit at Chuck E Cheese? Two kids meals on me!

80. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Everyone gone to bed?

81. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I know Parody’s having his warm milk and a cookie.

82. By parodymmxii on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Yep. 1 Hot Milk, (Milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, liqueur & rum) and 1 cookie, baked with leaves from my special garden.

How’d you know?

83. By Footballknowitall on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Is that garden in your closet, with special lights? Yep, I figured. Your mind and rationale reflect too much time in the cabbage patch.

84. By parodymmxii on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

No. i keep it in the yard. Near the street where it gets plenty of natural sunlight. It’s the same corner the cops like to park next to, so we have some good parties when they’re working on a slow day.

85. By thenaj17 on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Really? For what reason is Eli the best QB? Is it because he had a top receiving core last year? Is it because the TEAM had success? Is it because the defence carried them through the playoffs? What a joke way of judging individual players. Rodgers, Brees and Brady are better QB’s by far.

86. By rocksalt on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I see no reason to jump on either the Ponder Train or the Webb Wagon. Both have yet to play enough for us to really see what they are capable of. They both need more game time. I also see no reason to throw either one under the bus.

87. By DeerTracks on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Footballknowitall.

Does anybody besides me, smell a Nova or Titus lurking in the bush?

88. By DeerTracks on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

rocksalt

I agree with you and Fred! Most happy to see some Sunshine around here!

89. By DeerTracks on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Mike B.

Add you to the short list that understands the present situation.

90. By carlk300 on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

My guess is Titus.

91. By vikes420 on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

deer tracks like i said u cant tell me on throw webb has made that wowed us not one and yea i watchevery game i rember lions game but how u think webb wd fair vs pack?? not so hot poder bout beat them u need a qb who is accurate an god desin mk webb is not that great athleate yes great qb no

92. By DeerTracks on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

vikes420

Webb and Ponder are both good QB’s. For this reason they should BOTH be played when the sitaution presents it’s self..Like when an opporunity to throw off the opposing defense in a close game.

Why think up a trick play when the same thing can be accomplshed by having such playaction plans inplace. Frazier, are you listioning?

The object is to win the game, and provide excitement for the fans!

93. By morgan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Ponder Is NOT an elite QB….he has shown flashes of being a GOOD QB, that’s it. Webb needs touches period as he will be coming in (as last year) when Ponder goes down (and he will). I like Webb over Ponder.

94. By Frederick Jones on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

@Vikes420,

Would you please re-type your last post so that we can understand it?

95. By Frederick Jones on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

@Rocky,

That was a sensible statement about the QBs. Neither Webb nor Ponder have proved themselves as NFL QBs.

96. By Frederick Jones on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

The new guy has never even played an NFL down. He may go the way of John David Booty!

97. By DeerTracks on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

morgan

Have t..o add you to the “Want Webb over Ponder” list, which appeares to be growing ike the weed in Parody’ patch. ..puff, puff, huh Parody.

Still think that Frazier needs a few playaction moves for both.

98. By David on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

For now, the starting QB job is Ponder’s to lose. All I care is that the Vikings win. I don’t much care about who the QB is of a winning Vikings team. If Ponder does well this season and shows marked improvement; I’m happy. If he proves that he cannot handle the job and Webb enters the mix and ends up doing well; I’m happy. I just want a winning season– at least an 8/8 season–in Minnesota.

99. By morgan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I just wonder what the fellow teammates prefer? Seems like Webb brings an energy that others respond to and they rally around him. Happened in a few games last year. We may never know. Wonder who Harvin prefers?

100. By DeerTracks on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Morgan

I know others have noticed how the team re-acts to Webb, but most of those “fans” close their eyes..

David above has a good point. But I like 9/7 better, Beat the 49ers!

101. By vikings4life on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

102. By vikings4life on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

great pass couldnt have thrown it better there is no good quality of the video but Joe can throw the ball amazing but PONDER is the quaterback rick speilman has made that soo clear he isnt even going to allow there to be talk of anyone else which is not a bad thing cause ponder will get hurt and joe is a great great great back up

103. By vikings4life on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

104. By vikings4life on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

wow all out blitz he gets it off to percy

105. By vikings4life on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

106. By vikings4life on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d825602b4/QB-Webb-to-TE-Rudolph-17-yd-pass-TD YESS if you know anything about football you can not deny that JOE WEBB CAN PASS CAN RUN AND IS PROBABLY A WAY BETTER CHOICE DUE TO HIS VALUE HIS CONTRACT IS PROBABLY 500K HE WOULD ALLOW US TO GO AFTER MANY OTHER PIECES BUT SPEILMAN HAS SAID THAT PONDER IS THE QB BUT THERE IS NO COINCIDENCE THAT JOE WEBB WAS DRAFTED #199 LIKE TOM BRADY

107. By DeerTracks on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

vikings4life

I hope the anti-Joe Webb “fans” take a look at what you posted..

108. By DeerTracks on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

vikingsforlife

Hope you post these again when needed on other antiWebb posts.

109. By XONR8 on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Banks working mma to try out for the vikings.. and oth nfl teams/ pre-camp

110. By celticvikingwarrior on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

That Webb to Harvin pass was NOTHING SPECIAL, just thrown up for grabs.
    Harvin did what a receiver is EXPECTED to do.
    The DB made a TERRIBLE play, NO BALL AWARENESS.
    I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AGAINST WEBB–In FACT I like him quite a bit,and think he would be best used at WR, with multiple packages for him at QB, but that’s unrealistic.
    Let’s be honest, the “power’s that be” feel he has not shown enough in practice to warrent a starting job over Ponder….
    As far as Ponder goes, LET’S BE REAL, he had no pre-season last year, no contact with coaches, no organized practice time to speak of, no REAL TIME with his receiver’s, etc.etc.etc.
    Not to mention replacing a “PERCEIVED” great QB in McNabb in mid season-NO PRESSURE THERE !!!
    In spite of it all he still had the HIGHEST QB RANKING INSIDE THE RED-ZONE IN THE NFL–114.7
    Higher than Brady, Rogers, Brees, EVERYONE!!!!!!
    I’ve been racking my brain for month’s trying to place the former QB he remind’s me of, NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT,STILL ALOT OF WORK TO DO, AND A LOOOOONG WAY TO GO, but I am seeing alot of Phil Simms qualities in him, EXCEPT HE’S GOT MUCH BETTER WHEELS!!!!
    Bottom line give the kid a fair shot !!!!
    One last thing….I did NOT LIKE THE PICK AT THE TIME, AND THE JURY IS STILL OUT, BUT……

111. By Craigmont Strong on Jun 29, 2012 | Reply

Joe Webb is by far a better QB than Ponder! The Vikings should want to have an open competition to let their high draft pick prove he’s the better qb. Any NFL team without an established player at any position knows that competition brings out the best in any player. The Vikings has done very well during the off season with improving the talent on the team and I hope that Ponder live up to the trust that the team has put in him!

112. By morgan on Jun 29, 2012 | Reply

You are right Craigmont….. there should be an open competition as it would bring out the best in both. I do feel that Webb is the better QB but it seems like they are just stuck on Ponder. Webb obviously has more phisical skills than Ponder, is patient and willing to learn. Is a humble man but a strong leader. It would be a shame to see Webb waisting away, all that talent on the bench. He deserves better.

113. By Zach on Jun 29, 2012 | Reply

Is it kinda sad how I get more excited about our secondary picking off Ponder than when he makes good plays? I’m more excited for those guys to improve this year, being as hopeless as they were last season.

114. By TARKSTILLOWNZ on Jul 3, 2012 | Reply

Using Webb on an occasional play is MANDATORY. His versatility has been proven. His performance in the game against Philadelphia was lengendary.

115. By VikesFan on Jul 4, 2012 | Reply

Ponder didn’t even have a regular off season last year and he wasn’t horrible. He has attributes to be an awesome QB. You guys are foolish to think he isn’t good and Webb is best used how he was last year; you have to be accurate in the NFL. I believe Ponders decision making will be way better this year and his ability to scramble is better than what most people think also. Im excited to see what happens this season, hopefully something clicks.

116. By Don on Jul 5, 2012 | Reply

Sorry but I am not sold on Ponder. As a Clemson Tiger fan I watch ACC football with a passion. Ponder is making the same mistakes he made in Florida St. He has great games with bad endings. He is not clutch, and that separates starters from backups. FSU bowl wins while he was QB had the defense winning in 08, him not making it in 09 due to injury, and same for 10. He is a somewhat accurate QB when on the field but when your history has you not making it to the big games then what do we need you for. We may as well asked for Mike Vick. Besides accuracy gets you to the playoffs not to the Superbowl, if that was the case the colts would have lived in the Superbowl. You need a good QB that is also a playmaker with a great defense to go to the big game ie the New York Giants.

I have no idea if Joe Webb can be anything but a slash type QB, but I know that Ponder is not championship quality QB. Develop Webb or find a new QB. Period.

117. By autobon7 on Jul 5, 2012 | Reply

copy that……great points Don.

118. By Queen's Full on Jul 5, 2012 | Reply

I love the vikes talk, but lets all step out and look at what we have in our QBs.

Web is electric and might be the greatest athelete on the field.
    Ponder is entering his 2nd year. he has tools but like almost all KIDS he may need some time to learn how to use them!

I personally want a QB that on any givin game day will throw for 300+ and 3-TD’s I realize this wont happen every game but I want to leave church and think it might! With Webb we might get 200 yrds and 1 TD and he might run for 3 more! With that said I think Ponder MIGHT have 300 and 3.
    All good teams that move thur the playoffs they all have QB’s that have numbers more like 300 and 3 VS running for XXX

Ponder is our guy and Webb is great (don’t trade just don’t start him at QB

Thanks and Go Vikes

119. By gator on Jul 7, 2012 | Reply

ponder is a joke …webb wins games period….next topic!

120. By Queen's Full on Jul 7, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Gator,

What games are you talking about?

2010 win vs Phil. he was 17 of 26 for 195 yards and 0 TD’s
    2011 win Vs Car. (he played but has no passing stats
    2011 win Vs Was 4 of 5 84 yards 0 TD’s
    2001 Loss to Det (Non face mask call) he was 12 of 23 84 yrds 1 TD and this is the game that people said he is the real deal!

If we go to his last year in college he did win 5 of 12 games. so lets not talk about wins as 8 wins in 3 years is not something to brag about.
    Ponder will have more than 8 wins in 3 years and he gives us the best chance to win. If Ponder dosen’t win 8 in three years we need to make a change but to think that Webb is that guy is crazy! I want Webb as Viking but not as our QB!

go Vikes

121. By autobon7 on Jul 7, 2012 | Reply

Webb has just had a few spot emergency starts and some fill ins when Ponder went down. Since McNabb left Ponder has gotten ALL the 1st string snaps and all the starts when healthy. Webb gets nothing but crumbs and still shines. Has he made mistakes….sure but look at all the Ponder mistakes. If they would have an honest open competition between the 2 and Ponder came out on top I would give in and Ponder would be better for that. BUUTTTT….If we had an open competition that was completely equal I’m betting that Webb would be our man.

122. By Queen's Full on Jul 7, 2012 | Reply

WHEN has Webb SHINED?

I loves his athetic ability, he just is not a good QB for the NFL. I am not sold on Ponder but I would like to see what we have before we fall in love with the back up. If Ponder is making all the same mistakes and shows us nothing then, when we are picking 2nd next year we need to draft another QB. My point is Ponder will give us the best chance to win with the team we have.

Go Vilkes

123. By autobon7 on Jul 7, 2012 | Reply

The real question should be when has Webb had a REAL oppertunity? Really, he was what 3rd string when he got thrown into the mix when Favre went down. No real snaps before that. Then we get Ponder and McNabb….no real snaps until Ponder goes down. All we heard week in and week out from Frazier was yeah we need to get Joe more invovled blah blah blah. Then when Ponder goes down we HAVE to use Joe and I think he did well considering that he hardly ever got 1st string snaps or attn. I think he has done an amazing job considering what little focus/attn and lack of confidence the staff has shown him. If he would have been given the same ammount of attn and oppertunity as Ponder we would not be having this discussion.

124. By Rogelio Vaisman on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

i really love to watch Dancing with the stars because the dancers are very beautiful. ;:,;`

Till next time