Stadium Authority Formed, Design Process Begins

Posted by Mike Wobschall on June 19, 2012 – 6:39 am

Ribbons weren’t cut and shovels didn’t enter the ground, but progress continues to be made in the quest to build a new football stadium in Minnesota.

The most recent step forward is a significant one and came last Thursday, as Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton and Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak appointed a five-person stadium authority. The new governmental body will be called the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority (MSFA), and it will oversee the construction and operation of the new stadium in Downtown East Minneapolis.

Comprised of three appointees by Governor Dayton and two selections by Mayor Rybak, the following five individuals will lead the largest public project in state history:

Governor Dayton’s Appointees
Chair – Michele Kelm-Helgen – Former Deputy Chief of Staff, Governor Dayton’s Office
John Griffith – Executive Vice President of Property Development, Target Corporation
Duane Benson – Former State Senator, business executive and NFL linebacker

Mayor Rybak’s Appointees
Dr. Barbara Butts Williams – Dean, Capella University
Bill McCarthy – President, Minneapolis Regional Labor Federation

The five-person Authority will immediately begin to meet with all stakeholders to ensure the new stadium is built to fit the needs of the State of Minnesota, the City of Minneapolis and the Vikings. The next step in the process is to establish a design and construction group made up of representatives of the MSFA and the team.

Tags:

32 Responses to “Stadium Authority Formed, Design Process Begins”

1. By Spencer on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Great news, I can’t wait for “Cooks Palace” to be completed.

2. By Corey Fuller 27 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Can’t wait for the new stadium to open,stinks that for 30 years I had to watch games at the metrodump.

3. By Jeffbleedspurple on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Let’s get some hands dirty already huh! we have waited long enough.

4. By Silver Fox on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

I hope all the uninformed twits have moved on to http://www.vikingsfootballblog.com so I can enjoy some actual good football talk. Let them banter and make up their own useless information and then swear about it. I’ll be here supporting my team like a true fan. Skol.

5. By Mike B. on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

@Northwoods That is not what I was responded with yesterday from Mike W. I don’t have my email right now but will post it’s contents here this evening. Something smells funny in Denmark.

6. By parodymmxii on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Does the “Executive Vice President of Property Development, Target Corporation” give anyone else the idea that we’re about to have ANOTHER stadium with red circles and dots all over it? There must be some other companies in this state that would benefit from stadium sponsorship.

7. By Spencer on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

8. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Harvin may hold out of training camp without a new contract. Tom Pelissero (@Tom Pelissero)

9. By iaVIKE on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Are you f-ckin kidding? That’s not what this team needs right now, he’s a leader.

10. By Spencer on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

I love Percy, but if this is true, this blows.

This team has been more than patient with what was a risky draft pick. At some point this BS has to end. Whats the point of contracts if either party can get out of them on a whim? It’s time for the players contracts to be binding for both parties.

This is exactly why overpaying AD was such a big mistake. Harvin is far more versatile and quite frankly far more valuable to THIS team.

11. By Matthias on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

At least he wants to stay a viking. He deserves more money, but first of all he has to prove that he can catch the ball (surgery). After that is done he should get a new deal worth 5-8.5 million dollars with 3-5 million guaranteed. Please get it done. He is our most explosive and versatile player (yep, I would rank him right in front of A.D.).

Here is an article about the “rumor” :

12. By Matthias on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

* per year

13. By iaVIKE on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

I don’t disagree that Percy deserves more money, I just hope the holdout doesn’t happen. That’s not what a young team needs right now, they need the leaders to be 100% in. Hopefully this gets taken care of quickly.

14. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

@Silver Fox I may dislike the limits that this site implements but I don’t see how it makes me less of a fan. I could care less about swearing but how can you have a open dialogue with other fans when you are limited in the number of post allowed.

15. By Spencer on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

16. By DRS on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Great news to hear that the stadium issue is moving forward, though I think it would be better to have the construction in progress and maybe finished before the courts decide that the financing is unconstitutional. It will take the courts years to decide this issue so let’s get the stadium built now and worry about the funding later.

17. By DRS on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Remember everyone to stay on topic, LOL, or the site cops will put you in time out, LOL.

18. By DRS on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Here is to freedom and liberty.

19. By DRS on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Good day to one and all, God bless U-All.

20. By Spencer on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Haha, good one DRS!

21. By Immure on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t be opposed to looking at Bullitt. He would add some veteran leadership to a young safety core and is familiar with our new Def. Coordinator.

22. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

If healthy Bullitt is very good. The bad thing is he has been hurt alot during his short career. Plus Otagwe is signing with the Eagles so good Vet. safeties are almost gone.

23. By iaVIKE on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Does the Vikes being interested in Bullitt mean that the staff is not comfortable with Harrison Smith/Raymond/Sanford/Blanton?

24. By VegasVike on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Retractable roof please!!

25. By Mike B. on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Percy with his issues since he has started is in no position to hold out for a new contract. He’s atheltic and a great wildcater, but not your prototypical #1 WR. We are not hurting for slot receivers. I say let him sit all season, if he wants to be that way.

26. By rocksalt on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

dont try to post beyond 8…….

27. By novascotiavike on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

By Silver Fox on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply
    I hope all the uninformed twits have moved on to http://www.vikingsfootballblog.com so I can enjoy some actual good football talk. Let them banter and make up their own useless information and then swear about it. I’ll be here supporting my team like a true fan. Skol …….Take a bow, Silver fox, as a matter of fact, take six or seven. After that you will be sent to “detention”.

28. By ozzinator on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

All hail Scott Walker!

29. By ozzinator on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

“Governer Walker and the Union Busters”, good name for a rock band.
    Huh Bathsalt.

30. By celticvikingwarrior on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

I f this “post” even makes it to the blog, which I SERIOUSLY DOUBT, then I will be labeled a “racist” by some which is pure bull_ _ _ _!
    I happen to love Harvin as a player, and have defended him on multiple occassions, as a migraine sufferer myself.
    The FACTS however are the FACTS. And they are; why is it ALWAYS, and I DO MEAN ALWAYS those of one particular race who are the ones to whine, moan and complain about contracts THEY SIGNED, with 2 or 3 years left to go ?
    PLAY OUT THE CONTACT YOU AGREED TO, THEN RENEGOTIATE, in other word’s, “HONOR” the contract you signed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By celticvikingwarrior on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

What do you know……….

32. By puckertrucker on Jun 20, 2012 | Reply

@Celticvikingwarrior, and the rest of the blogs on this site: Those of you that are psychic let it be known your truths. the rest of you should keep quiet until Percy Harvin or the Vikings release all the facts of his unhappiness with the 2012 season your contract talk and other BS has no bearing on his moods. So like i said if you are psychic then tell us what the real news is, just quit speculating on what you think it is. The One and Only PuckerTrucker!!!!!!!Skol Fans