Mind Games: Jared Allen Focuses On Mindset To Remain In Top Form

Posted by Mike Wobschall on June 19, 2012 – 12:53 pm

Every season has been a good season for Jared Allen. Since entering the NFL in 2004 with the Kansas City Chiefs, no player has more sacks than Allen’s 105.0. He had 9.0 sacks as a rookie, and his season-low total is 7.5 (2006), a number most pass rushers are lucky to have as a season-high.

Last year was Allen’s most productive, as he pursued and came excruciatingly close to breaking the NFL single-season sack record of 22.5, set by Michael Strahan in 2002. He tallied 22.0 sacks, giving him 62.0 sacks since joining the Vikings in 2008 and also providing for him more motivation to chase the record again in 2012.

While Allen’s physical ability is superior to the opponents who try to block him, it’s his mentality that Allen credits for his recent success on the field. A part of Allen’s mental approach to football is training during the offseason in Arizona, a strategy he honed during last offseason’s lockout and a strategy he’s duplicating this offseason.

“I’m just trying to keep that routine the same,” Allen said. “Trying to get all the extra work in with my trainers, you know heck I’m even going up to the altitude up in Tahoe. I’m thirty now, so I got to do whatever I can to keep up with these young guys!”

Allen’s training regimen keeps him away from the team’s voluntary work during the offseason program and Organized Team Activities (OTAs), but based on Allen’s body of work over nine seasons it clearly works.

“I’ve got a great (training) team in Arizona,” Allen said when asked about not being at OTAs. “It’s kind of one of those things where if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Coach (Frazier) was great, he understood why. One thing, too, is my mindset last year was so good. I was in a great mental state, even though we weren’t winning. But things were just real positive and coming off of that 2010 season where there was just a bunch of negativity around here. That’s what I told coach, too, I’ve got my trainers, everything is focused in the right direction down here (in Arizona) and that’s where I’m trying to stay.”

Allen went on to acknowledge that the team relies on him for veteran leadership and that he takes that role seriously, particularly when the team is down in Mankato for training camp.

“The best way I can lead is by being the best player I can be on the field,” Allen explained, “and for me that’s having a full offseason with my trainers and coming back [with a fresh mind].”

As for this week’s minicamp, a three-day event that began on Tuesday and concludes Thursday, Allen said he was excited to be back around his teammates and focusing on football.

“It’s good to be back in town and try to get that offseason rust off or whatever,” Allen said. “I approach minicamp with the same mentality every year. I’ve got certain things I’m trying to work on…my stance, get-off and then you’re working on your block reaction. It’s a way to break up the offseason and get a little football in, and then get back to getting your mind ready for training camp.

“I’m excited to be here for minicamp. Get three days here laughing and joking, and then gear up for training camp when it really counts.”

Tags: ,

21 Responses to “Mind Games: Jared Allen Focuses On Mindset To Remain In Top Form”

1. By Lance on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

And to think with Kalil as the new LT… They will only make each other better this season :)

2. By Vikingsfool on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Woo, first.
    No worries with J-Rad Allen. I’m predicting a minimum of 12 sacks on the season. I just hope that either Ballard or Griffen can produce in the middle.

3. By Vikingsfool on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Aw man, thought I was first. Darn. And I agree Lance, competing against the best can only make you better.

4. By purplepeopleeater2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

omg, check this out, freakin awsome!!!

5. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Like Allen said if it aint broke don’t fix it. This is the year he breaks the sack record with 25.

6. By Vikingsfool on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

one can only hope, but it seems that it would be difficult to duplicate the year he had last year. Just sack Rodgers, at least four times. Go J-Rad

7. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

10 against Rodgers.

8. By Vikingsfool on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

heck, ten, how about 15?? go J-Rad. Beating on the cheese HEADS..Beating on the Cheese HEADS. Jarred Allen’s awsome when he’s beating on the cheese HEADS.

9. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

The Bears OLine is shaky so he could beat Cutler into the dirt also.

10. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Allen always seems to up his game against the Packers. There was the Monday night game he got atleast 4. Can’t remember the exact total.

11. By Vikingsfool on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Yes Yes Yes! So we have 10 on Rodgers, 8 on Jay quitler, and maybe he can get another six or so against Detroit, heck there are 24 sacks right there!

12. By Vikingsfool on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

In 09′ he had a total of seven sacks against the Cheeseheads.

13. By DeerTracks on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Frazier, The Pat’s just released Mike Ingeroll, need another Offensive Tackle?

14. By mad1dem on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

If Harvin problem don’t get fixed kiss season good by and next one 2……

15. By Lance on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Im hoping Austin Pasztor makes the team. :) I think he might be the OG of the future for us :)

16. By DakotaKid59 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Jared is a beast he is the focal point of the defence,I hope he gets that record, but it would be hard to match what he did last year. With all that presure on the opposing QB. You would think we could get alot more INTs. I hope we can do that this year.

17. By RichardA1 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

I wish some of that outstanding Jared play would rub off on his teammates!, like the whole defensive line.

18. By Frederick Jones on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Jared Allen’s routine stinks like that of Brett Favre’s. I hope we are not headed down that road again. (I’m talking about Favre’s 2nd season…no excuse for him being AWOL from camp.) Same goes for Allen. He needs to be in Camp.

The Vikings should be a TEAM.

Together
    Everyone
    Achieves

If they are not together, they don’t get to achieve more!!!

19. By Frederick Jones on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

@Lance,

I hope Austin Pasztor can move someone out of the current offensive line.
    That would be a start on next year. Kalil + Pasztor + the 3-13 group.

20. By celticvikingwarrior on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

@ Frederick Jones, touche’ on the T.E.A.M. thing, agree 100%

@ “Lance”, once again you’ve….never mind, but PASZTOR PLAY’S–OT, that’s OFFENSIVE TACKLE, not GUARD. There are few, if any 6′-6″–6′-7″ guard’s………..

21. By Ekolu on Jun 20, 2012 | Reply

Hey guys criticizing the whole D line. Remember Kevin Williams. He and Allen complement each other very well, Robison had 8 sacks and Griffen had 5 playing everywhere on the D line. So come on know your football before you open your mouths. The weak link was Remi Ayodele who is gone, so look for Ballard to improve, Guion to be given his chance and for the D line to be back up to par this season.