Spielman To Help Raise Money For ACES

Posted by Mike Wobschall on June 6, 2012 – 7:40 am

The Minnesota Twins and Target Field in conjunction with Minnesota’s other professional sports teams will host a fundraising event to benefit ACES (Athletes Committed to Educating Students) on Wednesday, and Vikings GM Rick Spielman will be on-hand to represent the Vikings.

The event will bring together top executives from each of Minnesota’s “Big Four” professional sports organizations, as they join in a roundtable discussion about the status of professional sports in the Twin Cities. They will also discuss the important roles professional sports franchises play within the community. Questions for the roundtable will come from the assembled audience, led by WCCO TV’s Mark Rosen.

Joining Spielman at the roundtable will be Twins President David St. Peter, Wild COO Matt Majka and Wolves President Chris Wright.

The Vikings have had a relationship with and have supported ACES for 15 years. For the past three seasons, ACES students have led the Vikings out on the field as part of the NFL’s salute to Play60, which encourages youngsters to be active at least 60 minutes per day. When meeting ACES students, Vikings players are always impressed with the creativity, politeness and determination displayed, all qualities promoted by ACES programs.

Vikings VP of Public Affairs Lester Bagley serves on the ACES Board of Directors.

About ACES
The mission of ACES is to close the academic achievement gap of at-risk urban students in grades four through eight. ACES is an 18-years-strong after-school tutor/mentor program that helps urban fourth- through eighth-grade students in both Minneapolis Public Schools and St. Paul Public Schools overcome the academic achievement and opportunity gaps. Students who consistently attend ACES show academic growth, improved behavior and school attendance, and increased identity with their community.

Tags: ,
Posted in All | 57 Comments »

57 Responses to “Spielman To Help Raise Money For ACES”

1. By DeerTracks on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

I give this first to Nova

2. By DRS on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

(Reuters) – Wisconsin’s Scott Walker became the first governor in U.S. history to survive a recall election on Tuesday in a decisive victory that dealt a blow to the labor movement and raised Republican hopes of defeating President Barack Obama in the November election.

3. By DRS on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Supreme Court OK required for Vikings stadium financing

4. By Rocksalt on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Scott Walker is anti democracy-his stance against collective bargaining for workers rights would be akin to the NFL owners cancelling the players union collective bargainig process. Walker is a slime bag whose only concern is to shut out the voice of the middle class worker. What next? Wisconsin becomes LOL a “Right To Work” state? Good luck with that…..
    BTW the voice of the peole was bought and paid by the wealthy REpub machine…Walker outspent his opponent 7 to 1

5. By RichardA1 on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Awesome job, tremendous thing to do, helping to eat from the tree of knowledge. Let’s Go “Dragon Heads” <-viking ships have a dragon on the front….get it, here come the Vikings!

6. By RichardA1 on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

The Dragon on the ships are not animated or used much, anyone a where of the Dragon, should be used as much as the vikings horns I think!!!

7. By DRS on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

8. By Troutdaddy on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

ACES program sounds like it helps a lot of kids. That is great. I hope that the Vikes can continue there support for this for a long whiile. It has always been cool to see how the kids and communities respond to programs like Play60 and get to participate in games and other events. I know that my co-worker’s daughter got to be part of this program and it was a great experience for her.

As far as all of the political updates on this blog- why don’t you blog it somewhere else? This is a Vikings blog. Rocksalt- sorry you hate republicans so much, but do you need to post that on a blog related to a charitable program? I appreciate the fact that DRS posts current happenings that effect the Vike’s, but leave the political rantings off of here. Just my opinion, but it really ruins the intent of this VIKING blog. Plus- you really would not like people like me here polluting the screen with my personal feelings about O’bama or Mitt Romney. We are here to focus on the Vikings. I bleed purple… nuf said…

9. By Mike B. on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

@DRS that prediction I think is faulty. The Tea Party is like a festering pinple on the Republican party. I know I have been a Republican since 1980. To get a president elected in the US you need independents and southern democrats from Ohio, PA, Florida, Colorado, and Georgia. This is how you get a Republican in over a Democrat. I can’t see those states backing anyone that would cater to the Tea Party. Just my two cents.

10. By Mike B. on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

@Troutdaddy oops sorry about that.

11. By packhater on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

@ Mike B. I don’t think you’ll find any southern democrats in Ohio,PA, or Colorado. Lol

12. By DRS on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Tea Party movementFrom Wikipedia

The Tea Party movement (TPM) is an American populist[1][2][3] political movement that is generally recognized as conservative and libertarian,[4][5] and has sponsored protests and supported political candidates since 2009.[6][7][8] It endorses reduced government spending,[9][10] cutting taxes,[10] reduction of the national debt and federal budget deficit,[9] and adherence to an originalist interpretation of the United States Constitution.[11]

13. By DRS on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

By Mike B. on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

———————————————————————————————–

really?

Have to go for now have a great day.

14. By DAveJr on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

lol.. I didnt know we were political now. Most unions are mafia as are politicians. They just dont use the word. My state indiana is a right to work state… which only means you cant be forced into the union. What is the big deal. Most people will decide to be in the union if there is one available anyways. However… I have worked at two factories that were non union and made more money then most union workers. And I am proud of Wisconsin.. The mafia tried to boot walker out and the people decided to keep him. The unions in america are getting there legs cut out from under them and I say good.. America cant afford to pay for public workers entitlements. The private sector does just fine.. The government should learn how to manage money before anything. lol

15. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

It is a good day in America.

16. By Parody on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Why do you say that Titus? Because Wisconsin just wasted a few hundred million to verify that they did indeed elect the lesser of two evils?

I know, I know, it’s just Wisconsin…but you gotta figure that money could have been spent on SOMETHING better…

17. By sandiamond on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

troutdaddy, where are all the non-political posts related to the vikings from drs? he said, she said bs] just about ready to flee out of here for good

18. By Spencer on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Ir seems like everyone’s contemplating leaving this site :(

19. By tdurfeightyeight on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

I love the fact that the sports teams in Minnesota donate alot of time to “at risk” children and other charitable causes…kudos to you Mike for the post…Vikes are predicted to finish last in this division by most of the talking knuckleheads on the flat screen,and the ones who have a face for radio across the airwaves… My prediction,barring a major injury,will be 9-7…weak schedule and a chip on their shoulder will make it happen…For the rest of the division,I’ll have to back to you all on that one…Rip away faithful bloggers!

20. By Spencer on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Testing something…

21. By sandiamond on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Everyone should be able to accept changes within a blog environment . The manner in which it has happened does not sit well with myself and others. I would be man enough to apologize to mike wobs for anything out of line that I posted. Would he do the same for loyal fans here?

22. By hotcarlgiver on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Sandiamond, agreed. Me so sorry mr wobby, please forgive my insolence. Uh oh, beep, off topic, boop, do not repeat,beep buzzzzz.

23. By Troutdaddy on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

@Sandimond- what I have noticed is that DRS posts info that effects the Vikings, Viking fans and Viking organization as a whole to keep us educated. Maybe I am wrong, but I have not seen DRS specifically push a political agenda. He ripps on all sides equally but sticks to the info that SPECIFICALLY AFFECTS THE VIKES AND MINNESOTA VIKING FANS. Like I said- I wish everyone could just leave their own political agenda’s off of the blog. I have no problem with posts about stuff that deals with the Vikings specifically when it comes to politics, but it seems that too many get on here to rip this republican or that democrat or Obama or Romney. Sorry if that urks you. I really enjoy this blog to follow the Vikes and what is happening in the world of my favorite team. Just get tired of all of the political haters that feel the need to use this blog as a venting outlet. Am I wrong here? Put me in my place if I am.

24. By packhater on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

I think its funny how everybody is pickin the Vikes to be the cellar dweller in the North. Detroit owns the basement and will return there this year. Last season was a “fluke”. We all know well what happened the two games we played them and handed them the wins plus Matthew “IR” Stafford actually played all year. Chicago is average and Green Bay is a Rodgers injury away from being horrible ! 10-6 will win the North.

25. By iaVIKE on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

You’re correct in my opinion, Troutdaddy

26. By sandiamond on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Blog participation on here is much heavier than any other nfl official site. With that comes off-topic posts. There is just no way around it
    So what is better? 200+ hundred posts or 2-3 posts strictly within the content of a blog
    Maybe the writer prefers the perfect world of content only posts but most fans i think would prefer more freedom of speech. All i meant was that drs doesn’t get an exception for off-topic posts which has occured from him in the past

27. By RichardA1 on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Vikes in the celler? Some of them athletes have some serious talent, look at jared last year, worst team still best saker,,,maybe with a little help he and everybody could do alot better. We have superstars, will the rookies, sign on’s be as good as they can be? I just worry about the coach’s, the talent is there, will the coachs coach, motivate, descipline, can they coach? will they give it there 110%???

28. By hotcarlgiver on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Are we still ranked 31st? Because there’s no way that’s gonna happen.

29. By sandiamond on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

great to see ota’s going well for the vikings. Other teams are having problems which makes us feel good about the our coaches
    Seahawks stripped of a full week of ota’s and now the Saints have a scuffle /fight to breakout with players this week

30. By packhater on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

And all this BS about how poor our secondary is. Instead of aquiring 19 DB’s, why not aquirer 1 BEAST to play opposite Jared Allen? Rodgers, Cutler, and Stafford wouldn’t torch our secondary if they were runnin for lives or layin flat on their backs.

31. By iaVIKE on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Yep, looks like Spielman did exactly what he talked about doing in rejuvenating this franchise. Exciting time to be a Vikes fan

32. By Lance on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

did anyone else see that Ponder to Simpson catch? am I the only one who see’s a few bad things in that?

The snap? that made me worry…. then to be honest that throw could have easily been picked off if the defenses would be aloud to have a bit of contact… Not such a perfect throw. Simpson did make a good catch…. but with a more aggressive defense I’m pretty sure that play would have been bad news.

33. By Shawn on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

FUHK Censorship

34. By Shawn on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

It is a bad day in America.

35. By celticvikingwarrior on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

No offence “Lance”, but that’s called “nit-picking to th Nth degree”, c’mon it was simply a VERY good catch by Simpson, and SUPERB coverage by Cook, who by the way, I’m sure learned a very valuable lesson.
    Which afterall is what these OTA’s etc. are all about !!!!!!!!
    Speaking of both, hat’s off to Chris Cook for volunteering to help with the Special Olympics folks…even if it was someone else’s idea good for him for saying yes.
    If it was his idea all the better….
    Same for Joe Simpson, and I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong about him.
    I was taking a “wait and see” approach to him, but in the back of my mind I had a notion of him being somewhat of a typical WR
    So far he has been a perfect “diva”.
    VERY happy to say that so far I could not have been more WRONG !!!!
    So far, and even going back to his college highlight piece (posted the other day by I think sandiamond) where after just about every catch he goes and hands the ball to the referee, OLDSHOOL-I LOVE IT !!!!!

36. By Shawn on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Every Walker supporter is anti American

the Walker administration wants to make protesters pay to protest inside the state Capitol, a move that one legal expert calls “put[ting] a price tag on the First Amendment”:

37. By Shawn on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

When Unions are eliminated by Corporatists so does the largest voice for the middle class

As the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports, the Walker administration announced the new policy on Thursday, and it will be phased in by Dec. 16. Under the policy, groups of four or more people must request permits at least 72 hours in advance, for events at the state Capitol or other state buildings.

In addition, organizers would have to pay for the extra Capitol police officers, at a rate of $50 per hour per officer — plus costs for police officers brought in from outside agencies, according to the costs billed to the state. The police payment would have to be tendered in advance, as a requirement for getting a permit. Afterwards, organizers would then be charged for any clean-up costs.

The new rules have First Amendment experts asking some questions:

38. By celticvikingwarrior on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

That got messed up……….”somewhat of a typical WR “diva”. Is how that part
    read…..

and…So far he has been the perfect citizen/teamate…..is how that should have read…..

39. By RichardA1 on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

BEAST, anybody see Solomon Elimimien play Linebacker, he’s a beast, hard hard hitter, if things work out with him and he does his thing theres no stopping them.

40. By Shawn on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

By the way my previous posts were on point due to the 1st amendment being under attack on the blog …

41. By Parody on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Richard – If all he can do is hit, then we shouldn’t be hearing a word about him right now. There is more to defense than being able to hit people, and this is very important to succeeding in the NFL. If we’re not hearing anything about him right now, then he likely doesn’t have the skills to go along with his power.

42. By celticvikingwarrior on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Parody…..The thing’s that stood out to me in watching his “highlight” tape from Canada were NOT his hitting, because that is what is expected from linebacker’s.
    What was far and away the most impressive thing’s were his were his ability to read and react, which is FAR MORE IMPORTANT, but in addition to that was another that most people forget about, is his ability to SHED BLOCK’S, to make himself smaller if you know what I mean, to turn a shoulder or whatever else needed to get through to get to the ball.
    He indeed looked VERY GOOD…………
    The fact that no one is YET speaking of him is not really a concern to me, they will. This is not the point in time for the LB’s, their time will come….

43. By Frederick Jones on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

You are correct about the hitting. Lots of guys can hit. You want guys that can make the tackle, and cover receivers.

We have all seen high school kids who could hit, but not play well enough to make it at this level.

44. By hotcarlgiver on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

@shawn must…..stay………on………topic……….no……….deviation………..drink……..the………punch

45. By RichardA1 on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

He can play and when he made plays they were very good. Or they can’t believe this player from Canada is that much better then there high draft choice Greenway or Henderson! I think from what I seen he and J. Allen could really do the damage to opposing offenses.

46. By Carl K on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Sandiamond – Don’t leave. I like reading your comments.

47. By Rocksalt on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Scott Walker is a frikkin Fascist///////DRS you are not in touch with REALITY

48. By Rocksalt on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

RIGHT ON SHAWN……..DONT LET THE CORPORATE WH>O>RES CHANGE THE DEBATE

49. By Rocksalt on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Troutdaddy =
    F@ck off.DRs is posting politiact sh!t yet you have no problem with that? F@ck you moron.

50. By Rocksalt on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

MORON!

51. By Rocksalt on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

TROUT FRIKKIN MORON

52. By RichardA1 on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Are you kidding, giving Ponder credit for coraling the snap from center? like he had to call on all his athletic ability to do so! have you ever played football, that kind of stuff happens all the time, the guy hasn’t impressed me yet, he seems average so far. ” Dragon”

53. By DRS on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt, Take a chill pill my man, all I have posted is news, and what the tea party is all about according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement.

I think the YouTube posting shows that what is happing now was predicted by many people. I think you keep remembering my post of a few years past, when I was truly a union hater. I still have ill feelings about unions for personal reasons, but Shawn and you have shown me that there is good that comes from unions. You must admit there is some bad that comes from any entity that are run by corrupt people. (Unions, banks, governments extra….)

All I have to ask you is this, is it fare for Government employees to make more than their private counter parts in this depressed economy?

54. By DRS on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

What is a state to do when there is no money? Raise Taxes on the rich, ok, what then when all their money is used up? If you took all the wealth in this country and gave it to the Government it would not cover the debt, something has to be done about the spending, Ok take it from the Military, what then when there are no more personal to protect the vital interest of this nation? What then when there are no more rich people left in this nation, and no military to take funds from, who do you sagest to pay for the utopian dream of a faultless state?

Everyone knows I am for freedom and liberty, not for any party, and the tea party is not a party it is a group of many different types of people who are tire of the big government spending our money like drunken sailors, strong arming us the people all day long, taking our freedoms and liberties and trashing our constitution, and that goes for both main stream parties.

55. By DRS on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Good night and god bless.

56. By ozzinator on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

It’s a great day for America! Power to the private sector.
    Gov. Walker, I solute you.

57. By Troutdaddy on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

@Rocksalt… Wow- you really put me in my place. Very adult of you. Handled it like a real pro there. Looks like the Packer in you really came out. It is bloggers like you who make this column so delighful each day. Thank you for your sentiments. I mean that sincerely.

@DRS- I don’t think I mis-spoke about you. I have appreciated your posts. Guess I am just completely off-base here… What was I thinking?!?