Ponder Continues Progression During OTA #2

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 30, 2012 – 1:46 pm

Vikings QB Christian Ponder will enter just his second season in 2012 and right now he’s going through his first offseason program in the NFL due to the lockout that kept players away from facilities last year. That, combined with the natural disadvantages offenses face this early in the installation process, makes it no surprise that Ponder is finding adversity at times during OTAs.

It happens to every young NFL QB. Facing adversity is not the issue, though. It’s how the QB handles that adversity and how the QB bounces back from it that matters most. In that respect, the Vikings are in good shape with Ponder at the helm.

“Today was a good starting point,” Ponder said after OTA #1. “A little rusty. I think guys were a little nervous. But a starting point.

“I’m a pretty big self-critic. I’ll probably go in and get upset at myself. There were some positives. No turnovers, which is a good thing and something I need to improve upon. Our main goal an offense right now is to get better on first and second down. And I’m going to see a lot of stuff on film that I’m going to get mad at myself, but I need to realize this is a starting point and we have nine more of these (OTAs).”

As of now, the Vikings have eight more OTAs because the team conducted OTA #2 on Wednesday afternoon. Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said Wednesday marked improvement for the entire squad from Tuesday’s work, and Ponder acknowledged that he saw improvement from the offense on Wednesday as well.

“I thought today was a lot better than yesterday,” Ponder said during his post-practice press conference. “Yesterday was an okay starting point for everybody. The defense kind of got the better of us yesterday, but today I think the offense came back and played a lot better. Overall I think I’ve progressed a lot the past two days. I think the whole offense has done a lot better.”

One moment that illustrated Ponder’s progression so far during OTAs came about midway through Wednesday’s practice during 7-on-7 work. On the first play of the period, Ponder lofted a pass deep down the left sideline for WR Devin Aromashodu, but CB Chris Cook made an exceptional play on the ball and grabbed the INT. On the next play, Ponder dropped back and rifled a pass into the center of the field to hit WR Stephen Burton between two defenders. The pass was perfectly timed and was the proper read. As Ponder jogged back to the huddle, Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave barked “Way to bounce right back!”

Later in the 7-on-7 drill, Ponder found Burton once more on a perfectly-placed intermediate pass among three defenders to the right side and he finished the drill by finding a speedy Jerome Simpson running a deep crossing route.

There is still work to be done for Ponder and the Vikings offense, and they will be the first to acknowledge that. But given Ponder’s football acumen and attitude, that work will be done quickly and it will be done well.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in All | 39 Comments »

39 Responses to “Ponder Continues Progression During OTA #2”

1. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cook is amazing.

Wobs- is there any video of that INT?

2. By Parody on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Way to go for Cook. Hopefully he can start getting a lot of INTs against other teams’ QBs, because we have been seriously hurting in that category in recent years.

3. By RichardA1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I watched some of there OTA’s film, not impressed, very basic stuff, I did’nt see anything stand out that was worth taking note. I can’t wait to see Allen and EIlimimien (lb from Canada) play, they are two unstoppable players. How about “Purple Terror” for defensive nick name? to early?

4. By blackviking on May 30, 2012 | Reply

^WHat he said^^ lbs

5. By blackviking on May 30, 2012 | Reply

@Wobby Jayknucklez612 on twitter, thats me

6. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Maybe Stephen Burton is a dark horse to make the WR rotation. Would be awesome if he works out along with Childs and Wright.

7. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Harvin, Childs, Wright, and Burton could be the start of a great young WR core. Add in Simpson and either Aroumashodu or Michael(why can’t I remeber his last name) and this group could be deadly. Not to mention Rudolph and Carlson.

8. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Wobby with Harvin not being able to practice who is playing in his spot?

9. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Wobby how bad is Sullivan’s leg injury? It held him out of practice.

10. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

A follow up question about Sully who played Center while he was out?

11. By DeerTracks on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Ponder, Very pleased to see you are working out as QB (So far) Keep up the good work, because if you don’t, there is Webb ready to step in…

Also don’t call the Vikings “My Team” just yet, you have to earn that,

12. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Ponder calls himself “self-critical.” Does that mean he is avoiding criticizing his teammates? That is good of course.

Who looks like a starter on the offensive line besides Kalil?

13. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Are any of the new defensive halfbacks able to cover our wide receivers?

Jones is most concerned about the kicking, offensive line, and defensive halfbacks this training camp. If the other areas are as good as one year ago, the Vikings should finish 8-8.

14. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Blair Walsh was 21-35 last year in COLLEGE. Longwell was 22-28 in the NFL. This is an area of extreme concern, regardless of his kickoff power.

15. By DeerTracks on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Other subject that just came up

Lowes Super Store had plans to sell the US Flag in the form of DOORMATS!

I called several Lowes Stores, and asked them if the next item will be US Flag Toilet paper so people can wipe their butts on the US Flag!

Boycott LOWES!

16. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I worry about Winfield, and injury. He is small, hits hard, and gets hurt often. His health is important to this young defensive halfback unit.

Jonesie would take Winfield out of the game whenever reasonable.

17. By HolseDK on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Any news about how undrafted free agents CB Bobby Felder, LB Tyler Nielsen and DT Tydreke Powell looked in rookie minicamp and/or these first parts of OTAs?

18. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

The great F.L. Jones would also rotate linemen to make them more effective. This would be especially helpful on offense.

19. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Just heard Bobby Felder also got an INT. I love this guy…I think hes gonna be great!

20. By HolseDK on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Hey Wobby. Great that the on-field parts of the offseason has begun.
    Can’t we get some more information about Bobby Felders progression? Can you put something into the fact that he picked off Ponder, and not one of our other QBs, in terms of which unit(s) he works out with? And does anybody know why he went undrafted? He sure seems like an intriguing player and with the retirement of Asher Allen, what is the chances that he could make the team from what you have heard?

21. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Since wobby didn’t answer the question about who played Center while Sully was out I looked it up and it was Berger. Fusco was playing RG.

22. By Derrick.G on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Roger. Been trying to figure that one out too.

23. By vikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

joe webb will be starting by week 6

24. By Lance on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Any word yet on Austin Prasztor? I was seriously routing for him to fight for a spot. We need some young talent on the Oline besides Kalil. Also, Prasztor is a monster! I am hoping with that kind of size he could seriously beef up the line! If he don’tmake it looks like the CFL Team drafted him in the 1st round will get him if he don;t make our team.

25. By Lance on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Pasztor, from the University of Virginia, is a six-foot-six, 304-pounder who started four years at guard and didn’t allow a sack in 781 plays last season.

thats what I digged up on the guy. I think we could use that kind of talent :) Even if its just for depth right now. Because im still worried about C Johnson to be honest

26. By celticvikingwarrior on May 30, 2012 | Reply

These are the “PURPLE DAZE”—(multiple interpretations, and uses)

27. By Petie97 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Those Numbers on Pasztor are impressive and it would be fun to have him and Kail come up and start a bookend on the left side. I just don’t know If that is going to happen Pasztor is going to have to beat out…
    - Joe Berger (who started some at guard last season)
    - Fusco (who will most likely play on the right side but who knows)
    - Chris Degeare who is a monster at 6’4 325
    - Charlie Johnson who is going to make a huge push to start at LG

I can’t wait to see the other postion battles this year, we havent had postion battes this good in years. Like DT, ILB, CB, and Saftey.

28. By Woodboat on May 30, 2012 | Reply

You are worried about Charlie Johnson…. but everyone seems ok with Phil Loadholt.

As long as Loadholt is at RT, this line won’t keep a clean pocket for the QB. Wait…. as long as Loadholt is at RT and Musgrave doesn’t designate a TE to cover his hip, the O Line will struggle.

29. By Petie97 on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Ya I agree with that Woodboat I have said to move him inside at gaurd he reminds me alot like Lenard Davis for the Cowboys a couple years ago. Move Scharwtz to RT or D Love. Loadholt could be a force inside at RG.

30. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Loadholt would be the proverbial “immovable object” at RG. If he could improve his footwork, speed, and reaction time he would be fine at RT.

31. By hotcarlgiver on May 31, 2012 | Reply

@ fred jonesie. Agreed the kicker scares me, hopefully he surprises us. if not feed him to jared allen.

32. By hotcarlgiver on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Lets see; purple pain? purple pillagers? purple prostate punchers perhaps?

33. By hotcarlgiver on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Violet vajhammers?

34. By Rogerthevikefan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Harrison Smith has agreed to terms with the Vikings. Leaving Kalil and Robinson the only unsigned draft picks for the Vikes.

35. By hotcarlgiver on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Purple punch( like at jonestown), group grape, the violet violaters, hurry up and sign kalil for freds sake! lock him in and get on with it.

36. By vikelifer on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I believe the Vikings lost 7 games last year by 7 pts or less.I think that sounds like a conditioning problem,ie.. meltdown in the second half.I really hope the coaches are concentrating on improving that area,I see where A.P. and Harvin were running up hills at the OTA’s maybe the whole team should be doing that.I also think its a big risk that they let Longwell go, on one hand he was very consistant on field goals but he couldn’t kick it in the end-zone to save his life which gave the other team a head start on every kick-off that hurt BAD.I sure hope this kicker will improve,on FG, kicking indoors should help a little,but there is going to be alot more pressure in the pro’s,and if he struggles then what?

37. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I doubt they would have cut Longwell if there was much question that Walsh could handle the workload of the NFL. Walsh may not be AS GOOD as Longwell in year one, but it’s a rebuilding year so that’s okay. We need to be patient and see how he progresses.

38. By Organic Latex Mattress on Oct 17, 2013 | Reply