5 Observations From OTA #2

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 30, 2012 – 4:10 pm

The Vikings conducted OTA #2 on Wednesday on the outdoor practice fields at Winter Park in more favorable conditions than Tuesday’s action. It was partly sunny with little breeze and moderate temperatures, creating a good teaching environment for the coaches and a comfortable climate for the players.

Both head coach Leslie Frazier and QB Christian Ponder met with reporters following practice, and we’ve posted both of those press conferences to the website. So check that out after reading the following 5 observations from Wednesday’s practice…

Looking for a big year
CB Chris Cook made a great play during the 7-on-7 period of practice, leaping to high-point a deep pass along the right sideline. Cook immediately bounced to his feet and sprinted down the sideline, accompanied by defensive teammates serving as would-be blockers. Veteran Antoine Winfield was asked after practice about Cook, and he said: “We’re looking for a big year out of him.”

A lot like Frazier
Winfield hung out for nearly 20 minutes after practice speaking to reporters, and he was eventually asked about new Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams. Said Winfield of his new coordinator: “Reminds me of Leslie Frazier. Soft-spoken, straight to the point and he expects us to work hard each day.”

Play the pass, too
If the Vikings were to play a game today, the starting middle LB would likely be Jasper Brinkley. Known as a hard hitter and sound run-stuffer, some may question Brinkley’s ability to play the pass. But Brinkley is determined to prove those people wrong. Last week on Vikings Tonight, a weekly 30-minute radio show hosted by Paul Allen and co-hosted by yours truly on the Vikings Radio Network, Brinkley was our guest. When I asked him if filling the gaps in the run game was his forte, Brinkley quickly responded by saying: “Not to neglect my pass coverage, I can play that. That’s one of the things people always try to say that I can’t do. But I will be able to prove this year than I can do it.” You have to love that determination from Brinkley, and you also have to love how Brinkley is following through on his commitment. After practice on Wednesday, there was a group of 6 DBs catching passes from the JUGS machine. Joining that group of 6 DBs was one other player – Brinkley.

Felder finds an INT
At one point during practice a CB made a great play on a pass to collect an INT. The player was wearing jersey #43, so I had to glance down at my cheat sheat to figure out the identity of that player. It was Bobby Felder, an undrafted rookie out of Nicholls State. If he keeps making those kinds of plays, Felder could play himself into a roster spot. I was glad to see him grab the INT.

Play of the day
The play of the day – of the plays I saw, anyway – was a tremendous reception made by an unlikely target. QB Joe Webb dropped back to pass and lofted a pass fairly deep down the left sideline. As I panned to my left to watch the conclusion of the play, I expected to see either Devin Aromashodu or Jerome Simpson run under the pass. But instead it was FB Matt Asiata, who was sprinting toward the ball and completely extended himself to make the diving catch and land inbounds.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

200 Responses to “5 Observations From OTA #2”

1. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Seriously guys, watch out for CB Bobby Felder. This kid has some of the best ball skills I have ever seen, he loves man coverage, solid tackler, and the best part of all….”theres no character issues with me.”

He reminds me of a more physical Brent Grimes.

2. By snookj on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Shine Bobby Felder Shine… The first of many plays to be made by Bobby.. This kid is an absolute gem.. We found a diamond in the rough with this guy.. He’s gonna be a star I’m telling you guys.. Felder and Cook grab INTs, I can get used to that!!

@Spencer
    I’ve been screaming it since we picked this kid up, he’s a player!!

3. By iaVIKE on May 30, 2012 | Reply

CB competition already lookin fierce….love it

4. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

snookj- Whole-heartily agree with you, this guy is going to be the truth. And the thing I love most about him is that if he gets his hands on the football, he will catch it!

Cook+Felder 2012

5. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Blogs popping like popcorn today.

6. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

What’s the next one? Free season tickets to the next title winner! (Wobbles and his associates are banned from the contest as well as anyone who corresponds with anyone affiliated with Wobbles and company.)

7. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Here is one of my guesses for the next blog title:

Seven Opinions on New Kicker

8. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Jared Allen at Zero Sacks, but Technically at Zero

9. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I for one like Wobbs giving us numerous updates, Titus.

10. By RichardA1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

How about a report on Solomon Elimimin the linebacker from Canada? What about the coach’s? will they be able to coach the team to and thru the palyoffs to the Superbowl? its not just the players making it happen?

11. By snookj on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Spencer.. Agree.. He’s a playmaker and game changer.. He along with Chris Cook could give the offense more opportunities with turnovers.. (I hear Cook and Felder have gravitated to one another and have been hanging out around the city) Another thing I like about him is he’s a ball-hawk.. He strips the ball from recievers and is always thinking turnover.. Best ball skills I’ve seen in a long time.. Gonna be super!!

Agree Spencer
    Cook+Felder 2012

12. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, I like the updates too– but I don’t like the long droughts. If I ran this site I would have a method to posting blogs. Either they come so fast we begin a discussion and everyone gets left behind and cannot keep a continual dialogue– other times we drag on for a 1000 posts. When you run a website or any social media, you should have a set plan in place.

13. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

WOw. Asher Allen made front page news on Yahoo.

14. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Ok, now I see where you’re coming from Titus.

15. By Shawn on May 30, 2012 | Reply

test

16. By Shawn on May 30, 2012 | Reply

wow … Mike Wobschall must have put me in timeout. I havent been able to post.

17. By MightyVikes on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Felder can do it all!… Da troof troof!

He’s like a more physical ladarius webb, punt return skills, unbelievable ball hawking skills, blazing speed, and relentless run support pursuit… look out viking’s CBs this kid might take your job…

18. By Shawn on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Asher Allen retired?

Was it something I said?

19. By Shawn on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Spencer … when posting a tweet from twitter how do you make it look like the tweet? when i copy and paste it just looks like words

20. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

otay!!!!!

21. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Shawn,

I have noticed that a lot of people are unable to post.

I hope this goes thru!!!

22. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

It did…but I don’t know how long it will last.

23. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Even our mighty young bloggers have experienced difficulty. In addition, Jonesie finds that his pressers, and what not, do not work well either.

24. By Parody on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Test . . . .

25. By Parody on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Finally! I was on timeout there too. I even tried it with different user names and different computers and was not able to post all afternoon. The only thing they all had in common was that they were all connecting through the same router. I’m not sure why/how that could make a difference, but I’ve eliminated any other possibilities that I can think of.

26. By Thomas on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I’m definitely a fan of Felder, hope he makes the squad! Be nice to have some young guys added to the mix! I also hope Owusu makes the team, I think he will be an excellent player! Skol Vikes!!

27. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

28. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

29. By Parody on May 30, 2012 | Reply

So anyways, I liked the promise from watching AP’s video and seeing the work he was putting in. You can see on his face that what he’s doing hurts, but he’s pushing through it and working on his recovery. I’m excited to see him get back into the game.

30. By NovaScotiaVike on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Led Zep…now you’re talking, Fred.

31. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Cornerbacks available:

32. By Parody on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Speaking of videos, how come there isn’t a video of Winfield’s “20 minutes after practice speaking to reporters”? He’s fun to watch on the field, so I can only assume he would have been fun to watch talking to the press too.

33. By Parody on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Sandiamond, but that article doesn’t do us any good. It only says that those guys are available to the Colts.

34. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

By Shawn on May 30, 2012 | Reply
    ———————————————————————————–

I have no idea , Twitter made a change and now you cant do that anymore I guess.

35. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

LOL….we were all put on timeout. Happened to me last night.

36. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Parody, why aren’t you purple?

37. By NovaScotiaVike on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Because Cook isn’t choking him.

38. By KoN on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I have yet to be placed on timeout. I must be Wobby’s favorite blogger.

39. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

CB help slim around the league, oh well asher will be missed

40. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Nova- are you a comedian? And KoN dont get to excited, I thought the same thing then BAM..

41. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Drafted just one cornerback? Looks they had Allen penciled in starting nickel corner. Another Hole………….

42. By NovaScotiaVike on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Spence, just a want-to-be comic. I’m a land surveyor.

43. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

A quick look at the top undrafted free agents:

1. Devin Ross, CB, Arizona. He is a quick and agile cornerback with good coverage skills, speed and excellent toughness. However, he is thin and lacks the frame to add much weight, the only reason we can think of as to why he went undrafted.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-04-24/draft-dish-top-undrafted-players#ixzz1wP5uBMIV

44. By KoN on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Sandiamond, they will be getting both of their starters back, they signed two in FA, they picked up one in the draft, and one in UDFA (although I still have my reservations about him). Still, those four should be enough to fill the one spot that Allen vacated.

45. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Frazier says they are looking to add a cornerback now

46. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Why are we looking to add a CB? Losing Asher Allen is no big deal…

47. By KoN on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know why they would, 16 DBs seems like enough to me.

48. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Lol.

Maxim says THIS is the fourth best looking women in the world…

49. By NovaScotiaVike on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Maybe the insect world.

50. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Parody, I noticed the grimaces on Adrian’s face too– I hope he is not overdoing it– looks like some serious work outs already.

The other night I was on time out AGAIN.

51. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Wobschall——-

TEAR DOWN THAT WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calls for removal of the Wobbles Wall have been pouring in from all over the world…

52. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, those rankings are crazy and narrowly focused. Go to any major downtown around the globe and you will see dozens of women who would win any competition with some of these celebs.

53. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

What a load of BS! How is Adriana Lima only ranked as 46th?!?!?! Shes the best looking women alive IMO!

54. By NovaScotiaVike on May 30, 2012 | Reply

(1)….Preying Mantis…..(2)……..Tarantula……..(3)……..Dung Beetle……..(4)…..Katy Perry……..

55. By NovaScotiaVike on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Praying

56. By snookj on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Folks.. We have plenty of CBs.. Why would we be looking to add another corner.. I like Robinson and Felder as talented guys who can play and eventually contribute early.. I think we’re gonna be pleasantly surprised at how talented these guys really are..

57. By KoN on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Sara Jean Underwood won Esquire’s Hottest Woman of 2012, but she didn’t even make the Maxim list.

58. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Because shes a Playboy Playmate KoN.

59. By NovaScotiaVike on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I swear she lost her mind after I dumped her……

60. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Sure she did Nova..

61. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Now lets get back on topic….Chris Cook is just amazing. What cant this guy do? Hes a phenomenal talent and excellent role model.

62. By KoN on May 30, 2012 | Reply

She WAS a playmate Spencer, hasn’t been for a little while now. At least I don’t think she is anymore.

63. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Havent heard anything about Harrison Smith so far, im getting worried..

64. By KoN on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, OTAs is not the time to judge players. They are practicing in only helmets and are not always going at 100% speed. This is for the players to get back into the groove of things and work on technique.

65. By Conjon on May 30, 2012 | Reply

As a Ute fan im glad to see Matt Asiata do good I really hope he makes the team

66. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Late year I could not post for a few months. Sometimes it seems as if this site has PMS.

67. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Who were the 3 that Maxim had ahead of Perry?

68. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I could name alot better looking ladies then her. But since I’m feeling lazy I will decline to do so.

69. By celticvikingwarrior on May 30, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond…..One of the MAIN reason’s we only picked CB is tha the Ram’s took two of the guy’s we were VERY interested in just prior to our pick’s.
    Janoris Jenkins is one we were seriously interested in, but hoping he would slide alittle more………
    The other,of course and I can GUARENTEE we were going to pick him next was TRUMAINE JOHNSON, but they snagged him just before (one pick) we took JOSH ROBINSON.
    I also believe they took WR Brian Quick before we could………

70. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I am no expert, but Adrian looks like he is working too hard too soon.

71. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Where is everyone? Fred Jones is walkin in LA. Spencer is playing warcraft. Parody is reading the APA handbook. VegasVike is hiding from the desert heat.

72. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

The thought the A.D. might be overdoing it occurred to me as well. All we can do is hope they (the trainers) know what they are doing.

73. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I got out of time out again. This has been about my 8th time out.

74. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Ah, I knew my comments would bring out some of the faithful. Any moment and Spencer will pop out, then Parody, next Shawn…

75. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Some people are not being honest.

76. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Fred, I think AP may be the type to push it even when the trainers think otherwise.

77. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

@BSAS,

We are all trying to get on to the site.

78. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

Yes, they will have to tell him to slow down.

79. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

keep posts short

80. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

dont use punctuation

81. By Frederick Jones on May 30, 2012 | Reply

must communicate

82. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Oh, Fred– funny, I didn’t think too much about that. Yeah, a couple times these past few evenings I kept trying to respond to other bloggers– and I could not get on– so frustrating.

83. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I am not in time out! HA HA HA!

84. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

throw titus in the jailhouse!

85. By Woodboat on May 30, 2012 | Reply

What kind of 40 time did Felder post? He looks like he has ball skills, but his highlight film showed a bunch of interceptions on badly thrown pas ses. Does he have closing speed? Can he get off the ground? I hope he is a pleasant surprise for all of us…

86. By Woodboat on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know if Ponder is the future for this squad, but I gotta say I like what he has to say and how he says it. No BS cliches, just an honest kid that is busting his tail on the field and giving honest thought on how to build this team when he’s off the field. Taking the initiative to build a bond with ALL his teammates? Smells like a guy that wants to carry the banner into battle to me….

87. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Lol- World of Warcraft?? Nah, I was watching the Celtics/Heat game. It was a great game that went to OT.

Heat won by 5.

88. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

veteran leadership is needed in the secondary this upcoming season. This is far from being a repaired issue with inexperienced talent

Jennings
    Nelson
    Megatron
    Braylon
    Knox
    Ryan Broyles

and others

89. By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Woodboat I believe he ran in the 4.5 range.

90. By Shawn on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Titus … I am amazed by what AP is doing. I also get some anxiety watching how hard he is pushing. Looked like when he was running up the hill with Percy he showed some weakness on the stop at the top and on the walk back down he looked a little gimpy.

Peterson is a warrior and its inspirational watching him push … a real life Rocky story.

Does anyone remember is Robert Smith or Terry Allen recovered this fast?

Im guessing Peterson starts the season as a 5-10 carry a game guy until week 5. Then he will he 10-15 carries until week 10. Then he will be back to 20 carries a game by seasons end.

91. By Shawn on May 30, 2012 | Reply

*if … not is

92. By GreatIrishPotatoFamine on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Did anyone read Kevin Seiferts espn post about the Bobby Felder INT? Doesnt sound like a good play at all, Ponder tried to throw the ball out of bounds and lobbed it 5 yards

93. By RichardA1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I agree, It was a bad pass, nothing spectacular about catching a poorly thrown pass. Nick name for the D….Purple Grip of Terror???

94. By RichardA1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

wait wait wait…Purple Grip of Doom.

95. By KoN on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Sandiamond, Winfield is a great leader, plus Carr is a veteran and I am betting he’ll be either the #2CB or the nickel (depending upon where Winfield plays). Also Johnny Knox may be out this whole season rehabbing his injury, I am not worried about Ryan Broyles, and if by Braylon you mean Braylon Edwards, I am pretty sure that he has not signed with anyone yet.

96. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Last year the secondary could have been called the Purple Phantoms because everything went through them.

97. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

The defence needs to instill fear. Make receivers second guess going over the middle. Break QBs.

98. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Petey will be smart and not push himself to the breaking point.

99. By RichardA1 on May 31, 2012 | Reply

How about “Purple Pillagers”.

100. By ozzinator on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Wisconsin GOP Gov. Scott Walker leads Democratic challenger Tom Barrett 50 percent to 44 percent, according to a poll released ahead of the state’s high-profile recall election Tuesday.

The independent Marquette University Law School telephone survey released Wednesday surveyed 720 registered voters and had a margin of error of 3.7 percentage points.

Among the 600 likely voters in that survey, Walker led 52 percent to 45 percent, with a margin of error of roughly 4 percent. The numbers remain essentially the same compared to the school’s poll two weeks ago.

An averaging of polls by the Real Clear Politics website has Walker leading Barrett 51 percent to 44.4 percent.

The attempt to recall Walker began shortly after he took office in January 2011 and gained steam when he and Republican lawmakers eliminated most collective bargaining rights for public employee unions. The effort, which aimed to cut the state’s $3.7 billion deficit without raising taxes, resulted in large, rancorous protests at the State House that reverberated across the county.

Walker’s job approval rating 17 months into his term is 51 percent, compared to a 45 percent disapproval rating, according to the Marquette poll, conducted May 23-26.

Political analysts say the outcome of Tuesday’s vote will have an impact on the 2012 presidential election, considering GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney may need to win Wisconsin to keep President Obama from taking a second term.

Though the state has not voted for a Republican president since Ronald Reagan in 1984, Walker won the governorship in the 2010 midterm elections and three-term Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold was defeated by Republican Ron Johnson.

Neither state political party commented on the poll results.

Let’s hear it for Gov. Walker!

101. By celticvikingwarrior on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Obama gets slammed for alot of thing’s, and rightfully so….however he also took over the job from one the WORST “LEADER’S” IN THE HISTORY OF THE REPUBLIC…..He was left with a “cleanup” of EPIC PROPORTIONS……
    When I quoted Kruschev re: …”destroying themselves from within”….. all you have to do is read the post above, and I rest my case………

102. By GreatIrishPotatoFamine on May 31, 2012 | Reply

nickname for the D…..GREATIRISHPOTATOFAMINE!

103. By Mike B. on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Although I have been very critical of Asher Allen’s play. I would still like to wish him success on this retirement.

104. By Mike B. on May 31, 2012 | Reply

LOL celtic Harry Truman had the worst clean up of epic proportions. Obama’s situation was much smaller and manageable in comparason. He has done some good things and some not so good. He has caused one of the largest increases in the National Debt in recent history. I think he may get re-elected and need to reduce the Debt by as much as he increased. it. I think then his presidency would be a success.

105. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I’ve had more to say today than I have all month, but I’ve been blocked out almost all day! Did I reach my monthly t-shirt limit? Time to switch to Sprint!

106. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

It finally allowed me to post again! Timeout is over!! Now I can only wonder for how long…

107. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

For those of you who think we shouldn’t fill Allen’s vacated roster spot with another DB, what position do you think we SHOULD go after?

The final roster will probably have 10 DBs on it, (6 CBs and 4 Safeties) so it makes perfect sense from a percentage standpoint to have 17 DBs on the roster right now.

The fact that it was the weakest position on the team last year makes a good argument to have even more than that, providing more competition in an attempt to improve upon it. Take away from positions that we know aren’t going to get many new faces this year, like RB or DE.

108. By sandiamond on May 31, 2012 | Reply

……………………………………..Free safety…………………………………..
    ……………………………………..raymond/ smith…………………………….

………….Corner………………………………………. Strong safety……………..
    ………….winfield/ ? felder udfa………………….. sanford/blanton………………..

…………………….Slot corner………………………………………………..Corner………..
    ……………………….carr/robinson…………………………………..cook/bowman……..

109. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Bring back the Mullet! Check it out at 5:25.

110. By RichardA1 on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Obama, I have heard alot of rumours about him, he is actually a Russian spy, His father is Malcom X, he was not born in America, to be president of America you must be born here, this could be the biggest conspiracy ever to rock our country, he was born in Kenya.

111. By sandiamond on May 31, 2012 | Reply

no matter how players are shifted on that field map you will come up one player short. This is a min that’s needed without any additional experienced depth considering injuries and poor performance like last year

112. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I am no expert, but Adrian looks like he is working too hard too soon

I AM an expert, and you’re right. We don’t clear atheletes for cutting sports for a whole year after this type of surgery.

113. By Rocksalt on May 31, 2012 | Reply

RichardA1-
    you are no doubt being facetious..

114. By sandiamond on May 31, 2012 | Reply

update on DB’s

115. By Troutdaddy on May 31, 2012 | Reply

It is good to hear that the OTA’s are going well. Asiata should make the team just fine. he was always a stand-out player in Utah. I hope Peterson takes it a little easy. I knmow how long it took me to recoup from my knee injury and it so important to listen to your body and let it tell you when to back off…With Asher retiring (That is a good thing) we should possibly fill his spot with another offensive lineman maybe? Being deep in this position will be good as it sounds like we are stacked at WR, CB and RB now. Maybe even look at another TE?

116. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Not sure what the logic would be to “fill” a spot when we have to cut 40 or so more players.

117. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

@TroutDaddy,

We need someone who can step in and start at Center.

118. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Sullivan is too small, and weak to play Center in the NFL.

119. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Northwoods – The logic in it is that it would give the team more guys to compete for a spot. The more competition there is, the better the team will be. They’ll have more chances to find diamonds in the rough, and the extra competition will convince the others that they have to try that much harder to get noticed enough to earn a spot. The extra effort builds to extra improvement.

120. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

“Experts” can be wrong about a player. Obviously the Vikings experts have been wrong about Sullivan for the last 3 years. He may be suitable as a backup.

121. By VikesInsider on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Seriously guys, no need to add another CB for any other reason but a little more competition. Zack Bowman is the real deal, I have no doubt you will be seeing him start at some point this season.

122. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Parody,

I agree with Northwoods on this one. We should be bringing in above average players into camp. Too many players mean too many to watch. I could get confused by that muscular safety who was a backup for Baylor or Texas A & M.

More isn’t always better. But we do need a competent center.

123. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I have E-Mailed Mr. Wobschall, in his reply he told me that what is happing is not his fault, he is doing nothing to block us, and that he is having no troubles posting so he cannot see anything wrong with the site.

124. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Troutdaddy – I’m sure Adrian is being smart about the whole thing. Everybody heals at a different rate, and AP just may be the type who does so faster than average.

Nobody knows Peterson’s body better than himself, (well maybe his GF, but that’s a different kind of knowledge). He was able to sculpt himself into an adonis. He couldn’t have done that without great respect for his body. I’m sure he’ll do the right things with himself during recovery.

125. By VikesInsider on May 31, 2012 | Reply

NorthWoods –

Are you a surgeon?

126. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Mike Wobschall is having no troubles posting ON HIS OWN BLOG SITE?

Gee that’s an achievement.

127. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Fred – just because it’s too much for you to watch and evaluate doesn’t mean that an NFL coaching staff cannot handle it. The Vikings have upwards of 20-coaches, all of whom are professionals who get paid to evaluate and improve upon the talent.

More isn’t always better, true, but in this case more is better.

128. By Shawn on May 31, 2012 | Reply

ozzinator … if Scott Walker wins all of the middle and lower cla’ss people in America lose.

A new law in Wisconsin will force protesters to pay for the police’s so-called “protection.”

Protesters in Wisconsin will not only be maced by their “protectors,” but they’ll be stuck with a bill for the “service” they received.

From NPR:
    The Wisconsin State Capitol building has been the scene of protests since February, when Gov. Scott Walker started the process of passing a law that severely limits collective bargaining for public employees in the state.

Yesterday, the Walker administration took a step that is likely to antagonize protesters further. His administration enacted new regulations that would require permits to protest at the Capitol and other state buildings.

The controversial part is that the bill allows officials to charge groups for the security and clean-up costs of such events.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports the policy went into effect Thursday:
    “State law already says public officials may issue permits for the use of state facilities, and applicants “shall be liable to the state . . . for any expense arising out of any such use and for such sum as the managing authority may charge for such use.”

“But Edward Fallone, an associate professor at Marquette University Law School, said the possibility of charging demonstrators for police costs might be problematic because some groups might not be able to afford to pay.

“‘I’m a little skeptical about charging people to express their First Amendment opinion,’ he said. ‘You can’t really put a price tag on the First Amendment.'”
    The Sentinel reports that the policy also states that police “could require an advance payment as a requirement for getting a permit and also could require liability insurance or a bond.”

According to the AP, protests during the collective bargaining debate cost the state $8 million in extra police protection.

129. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

DRS – I e-mailed Mike about it when I was having troubles yesterday and in his response, he indicated that he’s sending the issue on to the “experts”. So at least he appears to care enough to look for a solution.

130. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Sorry went back to my E-Mail to see what his reply was and this is what his reply was,

I don’t see the problem…there are 19 comments after the most recent blog entry.

Mike Wobschall
    vikings.com Writer
    Minnesota Vikings Football, LLC
    9520 Viking Drive
    Eden Prairie, MN 55344
    Direct: (952) 918-8523
    vikings.com

I did not mean to imply that he was blogging under an assumed name.

131. By Mike B. on May 31, 2012 | Reply

@Fred From what I have heard everyone is pretty much sold on Sullivan. What are your concerns specifically?

132. By GreatIrishPotatoFamine on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Clearly John Sullivan played well last year, go back and watch tape

133. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Parody, sounds good to me, at least he is doing something about it now, for the last few blogs I have been able to post 6 times or less before I cannot post for a day or so.

134. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

That’s just not right Shawn. If we’re going to expand on charging people for use of government facilities, why don’t we start charging prisoners first? They’re getting food and a place to live and aren’t expected to pay a dime for it. Sure, it’s not a place that anyone would choose to stay, but it’s still costing everyone else money. I say THEY should be required to pay all the expenses of their stay long before any protesters should be charged a cent for acting upon their freedoms.

135. By Shawn on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Lets take a look what the GOP is doing shall we?

1-Eliminate Unions. Why? So the have nobody to stand in their way to make every citizen an unpaid intern

2-Charge people to protest. Why? So middle and lower cla’ss people cant afford their 1st amendment right.

3- If by some crazy luck a poor person can round up the 8million dollars needed to protest … they will need to get a permit. Guess who gives permits?

4- Slowly eliminate due process for all citizens. an ammendment in NDAA

5- Tap the phones and read the emails of all citizens. unPatriot Act

6- Start preparing a privatized national security. So they can not be questioned by the citizens who pay for them. see Blackwater which has changed its name a few times due to the murder of civiians

7- Fulfill the GHWB prophecy. GHWB said “When we are successful and we will be”

Look at all the sheep helping create the New World Order. Everything above was created and/or written by GOP Republicans …

ALL ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL

136. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

DRS – I suspect that Mike has gotten a few more complaints about the issue since you tried to contact him. Here was his reply to me:

“I apologize for the issue. I have no insight into what could be happening, but I recognize it’s likely not an isolated “glitch” because more than one person has come forward with this complaint. It’s well beyond my scope of understanding and power, so I will advance the concerns to the appropriate people and entrust they’ll take proper action to investigate the situation and find a solution.”

137. By TITUS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

WOW– DRS, now I am just so annoyed again– I was giving Wobschall a lot of grace in recent months, but for him to answer– Gee, it’s not my fault (deflect blame to others and unknown causes) and then to say he can post (belittle the fans concerns in a self-centered, hey I can do it, so I won’t look into it, way).

After I shouted I am not in time out– HA HA HA– last night– that was my last post. I tried everything but could not post- different usernames– used different browsers, etc. That is strange, considering the nature of my last post.

138. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

I meant that any guy could walk into camp and impress the coaches, either by his physique or through special skills.

That would detract from the guys we already have.

No, we must find guys who have proven that they can actually play football. It would be best to bring in young guys who have the potential to be starters.

139. By Shawn on May 31, 2012 | Reply

140. By VikesInsider on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Shawn-

Get a job.

141. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I remembered one other reply that was similar to what I posted, could not find it in my E-Mail records, oh well; memory can be a funny thing. Here is to a 10–6 season, though I will settle for an 8–8 season. I think the Vikings are better than a .500 team. I think all the pieces are in place, the only question is do they have the staff for a winning season.

142. By TITUS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

DRS– I have said all along 10-6. I believe we will be very tough at home– six wins, maybe more. Can we win three or four on the road? Should —
    I think Toby will be running a lot. Seeing AP cut back and forth like he was in that sandbox is plain irresponsible– it takes time to totally heal that injury– one slip up trying too soon and we are back to last December–

143. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Everyone I hope they fix this site, it is very irritating to be shut out every few post or so and then you cannot get back in for some time. Err.

144. By TITUS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

MIke Wobschall SHOULD have told you DRS that he does not know, but he will find out what is happening and get back to you. I wonder what Goodell thinks about such unprofessional behavior toward the fanbase.

145. By GreatIrishPotatoFamine on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Im on your side Shawn!

146. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

TITUS, I agree, I think the Vikings need to be more of a passing team, that way there will be less pressure on AP and the running game, after all the times have changed, it is not the 1950’s when there was mostly running in football.

147. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I will not be disappointed if the Vikings go 8-8 this year, though with all the improvements to the Defense and with the slight improvement to the Offense I believe the Vikings have a change to be better than they were when Bret was leading this modern day Vikings team, If Ponder can improve, as I hope he can, I think he could rival Fran. My only question is do we have the staff that can lead this team to victory this year?

148. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Have to go for now, have fun.

149. By Saltydog on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey, our secondary is going to be vastly improved this year, Asher Allen won’t be on the field!!!!

150. By sandiamond on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Should be able to find a back-up for Winfield ( non-rookie) before training camp. Everyone is forgetting the amount of players not here(secondary) from last season

151. By Saltydog on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey, I am celebrating the amount of players not here(secondary) from last season

152. By sandiamond on May 31, 2012 | Reply

lol salty!

153. By ozzinator on May 31, 2012 | Reply

All hail Scott Walker!

154. By DRS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Just came across this,

Vikings stadium approved. Now what?

By Frederick Melo
    Posted: 05/25/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    Updated: 05/25/2012 11:42:25 PM CDT

Minneapolis City Council member Cam Gordon, a stadium financing critic, said legal challenges to the stadium financing are possible, if not likely.
    An ongoing legal case against the state could potentially upset Gov. Mark Dayton’s plan to fund the state’s portion of stadium construction with charitable gambling revenue.
    Gordon said he would not be surprised if stadium opponents also sued on the basis that using city taxes to fund the stadium violates the city charter in Minneapolis.

Later.

155. By Mike B. on May 31, 2012 | Reply

@DRS Didn’t I tell ya. Now that the easy stuff is done now they bring in the lawyers. This isn’t over till shovels hit the dirt and concrete is pored.

156. By GrandDaddyPurp on May 31, 2012 | Reply

By Spencer on May 30, 2012 | Reply
    Parody, why aren’t you purple?

By NovaScotiaVike on May 30, 2012 | Reply
    Because Cook isn’t choking him.

HAHA!

157. By byron viking fan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

any news on solomon elimimian…i guess he was a stud in canada.

158. By TITUS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Mike B, I sure hope the concrete is not pored.

159. By RichardA1 on May 31, 2012 | Reply

ok ok, another name,,,”Purple Freeze Defense” Everyone says that is from out of state…it gets cold there and I think its in Canada! Sword and Shield please…I here by anoint thee thee “Purple Freeze Defense” any one got and names, you no, purple people eaters MN, Den orange Crush, Pit Steel Curtain, la rams fearsome foursome…..how about Odins inforcers!

160. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Have to disagree with you somewhat Parody – people have different ‘recovery’ rates, but the everybody generally heals at a specific pace. I get a laugh every time I hear “I’m a fast healer!” Naturally, elite athletes will heal a bit faster than your average Joe, and faster than a sedentary geriatric with numerous comorbidities, but the tissues in your body need time to grow, strengthen and form new bonds with surrounding structures. Especially in avascular tissue such as meniscus and tendon. They have such a poor vascular supply that they heal very slowly. Bone and muscle have very good blood supplies, so they heal faster. Even so, a bone needs 6-8 weeks before the callus is strong enough to withstand more than average stress, and complete remodeling continues over several years.

Some research has indicated increased bone growth with using modalities such as ultrasound or TENS

Personally, I would not authorize any of my patients to return to the level of activity that AP is currently performing at this time – he is risking tearing the graft loose, or premature stretching of the graft which will cause a loose compartment, or impeding formation of the new vascular system to the graft.

For ACL repair, there are 3 common procedures – artificial graft, cadaver-patellar graft, or host-patellar graft. Artificial grafts work well but break down sooner. Cadaver grafts cause issues with tissue rejection. The benefit of both of these procedures is they are less invasive.

The host-patellar tendon graft involves taking the middle third of the person’s patellar tendon, including the bony plug attachment from the patella and the tibia. So, not only does the patient have to recover from the ACL replacement, he also has to recover from the graft extraction.

You will get a better long-term functional recovery from the host graft.

161. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

@Northwoods,

If what you say is true about A.D.’s healing process, then you better send a very loud note to the Vikings because they are ruining the Vikings greatest running back of all time!!!

162. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Great Great Great Irish,

No I don’t have the films. However I did concentrate on Sullivan many times on pass plays. He often was pushed backwards and wound up on his hindside.

On running plays, you may recall that A.D. received several “running back sacks” when running up the middle. These sacks are usually the fault of the offensive line, which you may recall was highly Offensive last season.

163. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

The reasons why Sullivan is not the answer at center are multiple.

Size
    Strength

I do not believe the Vikings listing of his height and wt. Yes, they have reason to lie!!!

164. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

They have more money than I do. And, they have a much different mindset.

Imagine a room full of doctors and surgeons. Then imagine a room full of coaches and athletic trainers.

Now think about the difference in conversation going around the 2 rooms.

165. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings nickname for their defense may always be “Purple People Eaters,” because you can’t come up with a better nick name.

Perhaps we could call the current version of the Purple People Eaters, PPE2, or something of that nature.

It’s hard to re-make history. Maybe if some player(s) show some unusual features, a new nickname will surface.

Purple Sack Brothers…Purple Int Gang…Purple Rejection Unit…???

166. By Frederick Jones on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I would like to see a defensive halfback actually cover an opposing wide receiver this year. It never happened last year. lol

167. By Spencer on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Fred- just because a player is undersized for their position does not mean they’re terrible.

Steve Smith and Desean Jackson are very undersized for the WR spot but they are amazing…

168. By GrandDaddyPurp on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Sugar, Water, Purple. Thats the ingredients.

169. By Matthias on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Don’t forget John Randle… Watch your locker from now on… He will get you…

170. By Spencer on May 31, 2012 | Reply

We signed Harrison Smith today…why is there no new blog yet?

I could see if he was a 7th round draft pick but c’mon…we got him in the 1st round…

171. By GrandDaddyPurp on May 31, 2012 | Reply

In a weak safety class Smith’s value increases.

172. By Spencer on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Does not matter- he was a first round pick so I expected Wobbs to be right on top of it once we signed him.

I mean for f-ck sake when we signed 4th round TE/FB to a new contract Wobbs made a new blog within minutes…

173. By Spencer on May 31, 2012 | Reply

And speaking of rookies can someone please tell Josh Robinson to pick a new number? Im disgusted by the fact that gets to wear Cooks former number ’31’.

174. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – If you’re disgusted by anything, it should be with Cook for changing his number. Once he got rid of it, it became open game. What’s wrong with someone else wearing it? It’s not like Cook did anything spectacular during his time inside the #31 Jersey.

175. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Heck! We should be more disgusted with Kluwe giving up his #5 to McNabb! McNabb destroyed the number! Kluwe has at least been good at his position…

176. By Spencer on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Unless Revis or Deion Sanders comes walking through that door NO Cb deserves to wear 31!

177. By Spencer on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Parody- Im only being semi-serious. But I really do feel that way about #84 though.

Jenkins does not deserve Moss’s former #!! It should be retired.

Randy is the Greatest of All Time.

178. By Matthias on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Cook chose to wear #20 instead of #31. Robinson’s number was #20 in college so he should be allowed to wear Cook’s #20 since his college number has not been available.

179. By Shawn on May 31, 2012 | Reply

ozzinator … i always knew you were anti-Constitution

180. By Matthias on May 31, 2012 | Reply

* cook’s 31

181. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Northwoods – I don’t have any formal education on medicine or healing, so you obviously have the upper hand in that regard. I just can’t believe that everyone’s inner workings are so similar that they all recover at near-identical paces.

182. By Lance on May 31, 2012 | Reply

So we finally signed H smith to a 4 year contract. Any word on when our most important draft pick Kalil will get one done? Also Josh Robinson still needs to be signed too and Asher retiring that becomes important as well:)

183. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – Had we not had such bonéheãded leadership in the beginning of the century, I’d agree with you about Moss’ number. It was extremely stupid to trade him away, and then just as stupid to cut him after just 4-games back. Had he been managed better, he could have been a career Viking, and would likely have broken all the records set by any Viking receiver.

In that instance, his number would no doubt be retired (or still in use by Moss). But his name was tainted enough that the number should remain available for someone else to add it to the ring of honor. Obviously that won’t be Jenkins, but once he leaves anything is possible.

184. By Lance on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Also, just wondering when the first cuts to the roster takes place? After OTA’s? I know we allowed to have a certian number going into pre season and then to the normal roster for regular. So was wondering if anyone knew.

185. By KoN on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- Carter was better than Moss. Carter was possibly the best pure pass catcher to ever grace the NFL with his presence.

186. By KoN on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Then again, Moss is one of the best athletes to ever play in the NFL. Still, I’d take Carter over Moss.

187. By iaVIKE on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Quite certain that this isn’t the first time an NFL player has torn his ACL, and then rehabbed. Let the trainers do their job, AP would be more disappointed than any of us if he were to push too hard and set his rehab process back.

188. By Rocksalt on May 31, 2012 | Reply

right on Shawn

189. By Rocksalt on May 31, 2012 | Reply

By Shawn on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Lets take a look what the GOP is doing shall we?

4- Slowly eliminate due process for all citizens. an ammendment in NDAA

5- Tap the phones and read the emails of all citizens. unPatriot Act

7- Fulfill the GHWB prophecy. GHWB said “When we are successful and we will be”

ALL ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Let’s not forget the support of torture, the support for unlimited corpororate $$ for swaying elections, fraudulent voting policies, the deliberate misinformation to undermine the serious theat of global warming, the suppression of women’s reproductive rights….and on and on……..

190. By For The People By The People on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, Rocksalt, others,….While Bush was no saint, You, people like you and Obama & his administration have been whining for about three years and five months about the Mess he Inherited so lets look at it.

He inherited:

8.3% (REALLY 11.0%) UNEMPLOYMENT
    $3.69/GAL GAS
    $16 TRILLION DEBT
    3 WARS
    99 WEEKS OF UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
    NO ANNUAL BUDGET IN THREE YEARS

Hmmm sounds like he made a mess, not inherited one!!

For all of Obama’s WHINING about what he inherited, he’s actually MADE A MESS OF AMERICA over the past three years, and he needs to point the finger at himself!!

191. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Parody – the body “heals” at about the same rate, but people “recover” at different rates.

I’ve seen someone walk with barely a limp just a week after a total knee arthroplasty. I’ve seen others unable to place any weight on the leg yet. There is no difference in healing, but how they recovered from the surgery.

AP is able to push through the pain, and his physique allows him to perform at physical levels that most are uncapable of so soon after his surgery, his superior strength compensating for his deficiencies in his knee.

He is recovering quickly, but his knee is not healed, and he is at risk of doing more damage.

192. By Parody on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Northwoods – Then are you saying that there is NO way to help the healing process occur faster? Anything like special workouts, drugs, or sexting?

193. By ozzinator on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

@ For The People By The People – Coulndn’t have said it better!

Lets hear it for Gov. Walker!

194. By Troutdaddy on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

@Fredrick – You are absolutely correct about the center position. It sounds like they are sold on Sulivan in the position, and I had not remembered that this wasn’t addressed, so I am in agreement with you. Fill the open spot with a center.

@ Spencer – Randy Moss is not the greatest of all time. Sorry- Chris Carter schooled Moss on many occasions amd mentored him (Brought him to his Florida compound) and helped to mold him. Too bad Moss couldn’t figure out the congenial side of stuff. Carter is a legend and is the epitome of what you call the greatest- minus the goal-post strip-tease philosophies…

195. By Brandon on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

Is anyone excited about pre-season this year? I can’t wait, with so many new faces and so many positions to fill. I might actually get one of those package deals this year so I can go to one.

By the way Thanks for getting the stadium deal done up their, my family and friends drive from Des Moines at least 2-3 times a season to catch a game.

196. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

Parody –

There have been studies that indicated you can speed bone growth and muscle cell regeneration/development with ultrasound or transcutaneous stimulation (E-stim or TENS), but we’re talking days of improvement, not weeks. I have no information regarding anything that will speed up tendon growth.

A young person will heal faster than an old person, and a young healthy person will heal faster than a young unhealthy person. We’ve had elderly patients come in with a fracture that never healed, even after 6 months, where normally after 6 weeks the fracture is strong enough to withstand the stress of simple daily activities, and can tolerate normal stress after 8 weeks.

Once the bones have healed to the point of withstanding above average stress, THEN the remodeling phase of bone healing takes over, and the more exercise the better.

Of course sexting has amazing recouperative powers – how do you think Favre stayed in the game so long??????? But that just deadens the pain, it doesn’t cause faster healing. LOL.

197. By RichardA1 on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

“Dragon Freeze” <- Defense name once they earn a name for themselves. From the dragon on a Viking ship and the MN cold. I think Allen, Elimimien will involve along with learning rookies into a number 1 defense, s-k-o-l

198. By BC Lions on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

Hi Guys wanted to know how Eliminian (lb) is doing for you. He looked better that Cam Wake ( now at Miami) when he played here for two years

199. By RichardA1 on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

One of the players said they were impressed with his play. The highlights of him on youtube really look good.

200. By hotcarlgiver on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply