Antoine Winfield, WR Bryan Walters Impress During OTA #1; Other Observations

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 29, 2012 – 1:39 pm

The Vikings held their first Organized Team Activity (OTA) of the 2012 offseason program on Tuesday, working for roughly 90 minutes on the outdoor practice fields at Winter Park under mostly cloudy skies and windy conditions. The energy level is ramped up around the facility as the team begins Phase 3 of the offseason program.

Now is not the time to put much stock into depth charts and tracking which players are working with the first-stringers and which players are working with the second-stringers. Coaches experiment with several different combinations for a variety of reasons at this point in the offseason, so we’ll let others worry about all of those projections.

There were plenty of other observations to make, however. Here are a few notes I scribbled out while watching Tuesday’s practice…

– One of the first players to stand out in my eyes was CB Antoine Winfield. It was great to see him back on the field after he played in just 5 games last season. Winfield showed no signs of being slowed now, though, as he looked spry during individual drills and very sound during team offense vs. team defense. Winfield had a bounce in his step around the facility before and after practice, and it’s clear he still has explosion in his legs while on the field.

– QB Christian Ponder was sharp early in practice, displaying accuracy and command during the individual and group installation periods. He spread the ball around to several receivers, encountered no QB-center exchange issues with C John Sullivan and even found WR Jerome Simpson on a deep pass. After working through some issues midway through practice, Ponder bounced back nicely at the end of the 7-on-7 drill to cap a solid first practice.

– Speaking of Simpson, it’s a treat to watch him chase down a deep pass. There are times when the QB takes a short drop and launches a pass downfield that looks to be grossly overthrown. But Simpson usually finds a way to track the ball down and make a play on it. You can see that Ponder already has trust in Simpson’s ability to make plays downfield, and that trust and play-making potential will only grow the more they practice together.

Click here to check out a photo gallery from OTA #1.

– A group of collegiate officials were at Tuesday’s practice and will be officiating OTAs for the Vikings.

– My sense is LB Erin Henderson is poised for a breakout season. He now has one year as a full-time starter under his belt and I think he’ll only improve with another offseason of work at Winter Park before his second year as a full-time starter. Henderson is a player who seems to be around the ball a lot, and I’m hopeful he’ll make the improvement from a player who is around the ball a lot, to a player who makes big plays around the ball frequently.

– The Vikings WR position will be a fun one to watch this offseason, training camp and preseason. There are currently 11 WRs on the roster, and I’m guessing there will be some tough cuts later this summer. Bryan Walters, acquired by the Vikings earlier this offseason, impressed me on Tuesday. At 6-0, 190-pounds, Walters is a diminutive receiver with sure hands and crisp route-running abilities. As well as he could perform at WR, I’m also curious to see if he’ll be in the punt return rotation because that would increase his stock. He’ll be a player to watch this summer as the team prepares for the 2012 season. Walters is a 2-year veteran out of Cornell.

– There has never been a doubt in my mind that RB Toby Gerhart could shoulder the load full-time for an NFL team, and after seeing him on Tuesday that continues to be the case. Whether he has to do just that with the Vikings remains to be seen, but if he is charged with that responsibility the Vikings will still be in good shape. Gerhart looks very fit, and I can say with certainty that I would not like to be the one trying to break down and tackle him as he runs downhill.

– Another spot that is sure to see good competition this offseason for a starting position is DT next to Kevin Williams. Williams has been missing a solid, consistent running mate since the other half of the Williams Wall – Pat Williams – was no longer with the team. Time will tell which players the coaches tab to compete for that spot, but I don’t think there will be a shortage of candidates. Vikings GM Rick Spielman and his scouting staff have done a nice job of acquiring players to try and fill that gap. Both Letroy Guion and Fred Evans were brought back and could be candidates. And from the looks of it, several others, including 7th-round pick Trevor Guyton (6-3, 280 pounds), Tydreke Powell (6-3, 325) and Terrell Resonno (6-3, 305) will be in the mix. I left DTs Chase Baker and Christian Ballard off that list only because I could see them playing at Kevin Williams’ spot in a reserve role, but the Vikings coaching staff could certainly ask either of them to step into the competition as well.

Quick Hitters
– WR Devin Aromashodu was hot during 7-on-7 drills and was a favorite target of young QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson.
– RB Jordan Todman, preparing for his 2nd season out of Connecticut and acquired by the Vikings late last year after spending much of his rookie season with San Diego, is impressively fast. He burst through a hole during team offense vs. team defense drills today and his explosion was remarkable.
– I saw LB Larry Dean around the ball a lot on Tuesday.
– Rookie LB Corey Paredes made one of the best defensive plays on Tuesday, nabbing a Joe Webb pass out of thin air and returning it for a TD.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in All | 102 Comments »

102 Responses to “Antoine Winfield, WR Bryan Walters Impress During OTA #1; Other Observations”

1. By blackviking on May 29, 2012 | Reply

First?

2. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I am excited to see Toby this year because im really expecting big things from him. At first I thought he was a bust but last season he showed me that he can become a quailty rb. The fact that he averaged just under 5yds a pop with a rather mediocre o-line is just outstanding.

It would not surprise me if he gets over 1000 yards.

3. By Chaz on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I am happy to hear the Winfield seems healthy, hopefully we have some young players that step up so ease some wear and tear on him so we can get a full 16 games out of the guy!

I think that Devin will end up being cut along with Walters, once they got Simpson I think they started to feel a lot better about their depth at WR. Harvin, Simpson, Jenkins, Wright, Childs, with the rest being cut or making it to the practice squad.

4. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Really??? They really have to have a giant VERIZON sticker on their jerseys?

5. By Carl K on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Mike!

6. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

If Bryan Walters and Devin Aromoshadu stood-out it tells me that the guys guarding them…could not guard them.

Who were these CBs?

Was it Josh Robinson, Wobs?

7. By sandiamond on May 29, 2012 | Reply

#29 Todman san deigo lost their backup to darren sproels kinda by accident….. oops we got him!

8. By Frederick Jones on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Mike on the updates. We need Winfield to have an outstanding year as he is thee only veteran defensive back on the Vikings. A key question is whether or not thy Antoine Winfield can stay injury-free this season.

9. By Carl K on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I think it was Cook!

10. By Frederick Jones on May 29, 2012 | Reply

If Charlie Johnson was a below average LT last year, how does he suddenly become an average LG this year? Sorry, I’m not seeing it.

11. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Carl- Lol. I think its safe to assume Cook did a great job, as usual.

12. By Frederick Jones on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Devin Aromashadu can definitely climb the ladder and go up and get it. I’m not sure that he should be a starter during the season, but he might be anyway.

13. By Carl K on May 29, 2012 | Reply

12th man Frederick… the 12th man will make him better!

14. By Frederick Jones on May 29, 2012 | Reply

@Carl K.,

I’m hoping that Schartz, Fusco, and Love can put it together this year. Then the 12th man will help. Aromashadu may start regardless, while the rookies prove themselves.

I am not saying that is how it should be, rather that is how it may turn out.

15. By sandiamond on May 29, 2012 | Reply

tallest player 6’7 Pasztor #74 one bad as_ looking dude
    !! dang

16. By Frederick Jones on May 29, 2012 | Reply

@Sandiamond,

What position does Pasztor #74 play?

17. By Carl K on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- well then, it is also safe to assume J-Rob is looking great too.

Freddy- do you really like Aromashodu better than Jerome Simpson?

C Johnson was the Colts 6th round pick in 2006 out of Oklahoma State. He has started 70 games in his NFL career… and yes, his play at tackle has been viewed by many as sub standard. However, in 2008, his 3rd year as a pro, he started 12 games at LG and many felt his play improved that year.

So, putting Johnson in the middle of Sully and a stud like Kalil should help.

18. By RichardA1 on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Scary, warn the opponets now,,be afrai, be very afraid..the Purple people eaters are comming, be advised!

19. By hadi on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I did not knew that NT Powell is 6’3″ 325 ponds, he is similar to Pat Williams sweet that exactly what we need. Guion and Evan are just over 300 ponds

20. By hadi on May 29, 2012 | Reply

From his size and his number I think tackle

21. By Rogerthevikefan on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Glad Simpson is showing so promise. To bad he will miss the first 3 games. OC Musgrave said in a interview that Simpson has the juice to beat anyone in man coverage(paraphrased). Startribune.com

22. By hotcarlgiver on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I have a good feeling about this year. thirty first in the nfl my @ss.

23. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Completely agree hotcarlgiver- no way in he|| are we only better than 1 team.

24. By packhater on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad to hear some good news on Winfeild !! When healthy. He’s a guy that will play like he’s 10 ft. tall. I think if he rubs off on some of these young guys just a little bit, it will be HUGE !!!

25. By Rocksalt on May 29, 2012 | Reply

well I hope those WRs who stand out against one of the last defenses in the league vs pass is an accomplishment.

26. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

This is how Frazier should have reacted when Ponder threw the game losing INT vs the Broncos last year…

27. By packhater on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Remember the other year when we we’re supposedly a QB away from the promised land? We picked up the “silver fox” and almost did it. I dont recall our secondary being feared or our OLine being the best. So what it all boils down to is one word……………WINNING !……………Charlie Sheen will even tell ya !

28. By alex lawson on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Did anyone watch the video of ponder after the OTA? I’m pretty sure he called wobbly by the wrong name at the end lol. It sound like he says “yea of course (Brent?)” haha

29. By sandiamond on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Pasztor either OG or OT rookie from university of virgina. DeGeare 330 OG another big load. Whoever can ‘move’ and make plays will help the line

30. By Jake on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Alex sounds like he says “bro”

31. By hotcarlgiver on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Agreed packerhater. thou are right as fred says.

32. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

It does sound like Brent. Ha ha ha. What I did notice was Wobbles head wobbling all the time– was that him nodding or the strong winds?

33. By iaVIKE on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Good to hear that CP has such confidence in Simpson already, and speaks so highly of him. He’s already got that with Percy, and was building confidence with Jenkins before he went out with the knee injury last year. Great to see

34. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Anyone read about that crime in Miami where the guy chewed off another man’s face and had to be shot to death? I have seen a lot, but that one takes the prize.

35. By hotcarlgiver on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Hope no one eats ponders face.

36. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Sir Titus- was the guy dead before he ate his face?

37. By Shawn on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Spencer … why do you want Frazier to act like a college coach that couldnt ha’ck it in the NFL?

38. By Parody on May 29, 2012 | Reply

How come there is no video of the “best defensive plays on Tuesday”? I’d like to see just how good the interception was from that rookie LB. Was he making a spectacular move, did Joe simply make a horrible read/throw, or was it something in the middle?

It would be great if we could see a lot more video of what’s going on in practice so we can start making more informed opinion of who should make the team!

39. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, NO! The guy is in intensive care– they say all that is intact on his face is his goatee. Blood everywhere– the one detective said its the worst he has seen– and that is Miami– plenty of crime there. Victim was 65– suspect 31– but they fatally shot him– he would not get off and growled at the officer when told to get off the victim.

40. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Oh and both suspect and victim were naked.

41. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Why was the guy naked- is the Miami heat that bad?

42. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Lol, I wasnt talking about the basketball team either when I said “Miami heat” I was referring to the weather.

43. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, not funny. It is a really sick crime. Something was very wrong with that cat– even you cannot like that kind of behavior, right?

44. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Ha ha ha– Spencer.

45. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Was he homeless?

46. By Parody on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – The Miami Heat was really good this year…but I don’t know what difference a basketball team would have on how much clothing the local population wears.

It’s a lot more likely that the warm temperatures in the state had the biggest impact on that…

47. By Shawn on May 29, 2012 | Reply

here ya go Spencer

48. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

What the he|| is wrong with people? Eating another mans face? Disgusting. But I still dont think that tops the father that bit out his 4yr old sons eye..

49. By Shawn on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Another potential FA signing for GM Spencer

Wayne Carter Threw Intestines At Officers After Stabbing Himself, Police Say

50. By Parody on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been reading up on the face eating attack, and it’s being blamed on an LSD called Bath Salts, which is apparantly completely legal in the US. That’s mind boggling considering the severity of its effects – especially when compared to illegal drugs like Marijuana.

Supposedly, this is FAR from the first time that a person made a horrific newsline after taking Bath Salts. How can that stuff be legal?

51. By NovaScotiaVike on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I read that the attacker has a history of violent crimes and was divorced. I guess his wife must have left him to save face.

52. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Testing…

53. By KoN on May 29, 2012 | Reply

They aren’t really legal Parody. They are sold legally because they are marketed as bath salts, hence the odd name. From what I have heard they are mostly sold online, making them hard to stop. If you shut down one website, another one could pop up within an hour and they can’t just shut down all websites that are selling bath salts either because there are actual bath salts (not the drug) being sold as well.

54. By KoN on May 29, 2012 | Reply

They’ve recently made the chemicals in the drug illegal. The fact that they weren’t illegal before is due to the fact that it is a relatively new drug.

55. By Parody on May 29, 2012 | Reply

KoN – That’s not the way I understand it. From what I’m reading, they’re being sold straight out of convenience stores: http://www.alltreatment.com/blog/2011/the-latest-drug-trend-is-bath-salts/

My best guess right now is that the drug is new enough that the courts have not had enough time to make it illegal across the country yet. Apparantly the craze started in 2010. “In 2009, there wasn’t a single call to poison control in regards to the drug, but in 2010 there were 240 cases.”

56. By DRS on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Anti-Vikings stadium crowd silent

Article by: ERIC ROPER , Star Tribune Updated: May 29, 2012 – 11:05 AM

57. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Wow, when did they discover he was taking bath salts? That must have just come out while I was eating chicken wings.

58. By DRS on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Bill Musgrave says Jerome Simpson is ‘the juice’ the Vikings’ offense needs
    Posted by: Dan Wiederer under The draft, Vikings, Leslie Frazier, Leslie Frazier Updated: May 29, 2012 – 8:38 AM

59. By NovaScotiaVike on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I’m not surprised. I always feel strange after chugging shampoo.

60. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I am using a coconut shampoo lately– I really go nuts after a shower.

61. By Parody on May 29, 2012 | Reply

LOL – Sure Nova, but I’ll bet it’s nothing like the high you get from taking a bar of soap. The biggest problem most people have with that is that soap bars are marketed as a suppository.

62. By DRS on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Vikings will return to Mankato for pre-season training

Posted by Viking Vixen

For the 47th year in a row, the Minnesota Vikings will be returning to Mankato for their pre-season training. From July 26 to August 16, fans can visit the Vikings Village, where fans can get their favorite players’ autographs (it’s already been confirmed the Northland Ford Autograph Zone will be back this summer) and participate in presumably-Vikings themed surprises.

Last year, not only did Minnesotans visit the Village, but so did people from 28 states, Canada and England. Guess the Vikings are doing very well lately!

More dates are planned but unannounced – Vikings Football Home will definitely be updated as we find out!

Labels: Mankato, Vikings Training Camp

63. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

The guy who stopped to help was biking. I do have some strange encounters when I ride– but it is the joggers who always come across the gruesome scenes.

64. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

65. By NovaScotiaVike on May 29, 2012 | Reply

(Biker)……” Hey, quit that ‘ !!!!……(Maniac, with bloody saliva running down his mouth)…..”GRRRRRRARRRRRRHHHHH” !…….(Biker, racing away)……”Enjoy your meal” !!!

66. By DRS on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Good night.

67. By NovaScotiaVike on May 29, 2012 | Reply

End of the line for Owens.

68. By Parody on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Wow – I knew TO was a cancer to NFL teams, but I never would have thought that he could do enough that he’d get booted from an arena team in which he had partial ownership. If he’d have just kept out of trouble he would have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. It’s just sad to learn that a man with so much talent can show that level of disrespect for the game.

69. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

TO– what were you thinking???

70. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Just read more about the cannibal attack– the victim lost his whole face– nose, everything– I have to stop looking at the news.

71. By Spencer on May 29, 2012 | Reply

You get your news from Comcast?

72. By celticvikingwarrior on May 29, 2012 | Reply

WHAT A WORLD WE LIVE IN—-JEEEEZUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

73. By hadi on May 29, 2012 | Reply

No media were allowd, that is why no video

74. By Woodboat on May 29, 2012 | Reply

@Fredrick Jones

How can Charlie Johnson be a lousy LT but be a decent LG? Well…. because it’s a different position on the line, my man. A guard doesn’t have to have the lateral movement skills that a tackle does… something Johnson lacks. He will have the benefit of having a teammate on each hip.

If you believe there is a difference in play from a DT to a DE, then you have to realize that there is a different skill set and ability set necessary to block each. Maybe Johnson doesn’t have the length and feet to guard the edge vs. a speed rusher, but maybe he DOES have the lower body strength and leverage to block the big DTs.

Personally, I wish they were making this move with Loadholt, too. He can’t hold the edge… well, maybe HOLD the edge rusher….

75. By Woodboat on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Terrell Owens… I don’t know if he was just brought up wrong or if he has a chemical imbalance, but dude is not right in the head… never has been. How can someone be so egomaniacal one minute, and then try to pull the plug on himself the next. Needs Lithium or somesuch….

76. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

This world is filled with F*CKed up monsters for people.

77. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Maybe the guy thought he was a zombie.

78. By Rogerthevikefan on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Brains… Brains… BRAINS!

79. By wacky on May 30, 2012 | Reply

you all suck! and the viks!!!!!!!!!

80. By Rocksalt on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I know that the zombie thing has been popular for some time now, but …..

A human hand was found at a mail sorting depot in Canada’s capital on Tuesday night, just hours after a foot was delivered to the country’s Conservative party headquarters, according to reports.

Bon Apetite

81. By kevinwi on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Ponder said “of course, man” at the end of the interview…not Brent.

82. By New Vike on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I am glad the signing of Jerome Simpson is flying under the radar. I think that he is going to have a big year after his suspension. He started putting it together last year and had some decent numbers with a rookie qb. I think Ponder will make big strides and Simpson will have a break out year

83. By DRS on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Vikings stadium: New Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority holds the keys
    By Martiga Lohn
    Associated PressAssociated Press
    Posted: 05/27/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    May 28, 2012 3:26 PM GMTUpdated: 05/28/2012 10:26:44 AM CDT

Sen. Julie Rosen, a Republican from Fairmont who sponsored the stadium bill, said the authority would have to move quickly to open the stadium by 2016.

“It’s game on,” she said. “They have to get to work.”

84. By DRS on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Well I have things to do so have fun.

85. By Frank Amarante on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I’ve seen him play football when he was little boy for pop warner. He was good and still is. Vikings would be smart by keeping him. Good luck !!!

86. By rory from n.w.ark on May 30, 2012 | Reply

viking fans lets get positive ,,never before have i seen this team change so much in one seasons time,good free agent pickups,the best draft i have ever seen this team have…..coach frasier is a players coach and you can see this team never stopped playing for him last season,now we have a fresh start ,were young and have improved overall team speed,with a perfect blend of veterans and talented rockies,most important fact we actually have a real off season toget ready and know what each player can do ,…remember yesterday is dead and gone and so should our memories be of last season,the ship is up again and so should we be,,, get positive about our vikings ,this is going to be a great year for us,dont be suprised if we actually make the playoffs,ibelieve in our vikings and so should you…..

87. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

88. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

rock and roll… special teams type [player nack for the ball and creating turnovers

89. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

LB Banks pleads out to Coach Frazier and other league coaches for a chance in th NFL:

90. By sandiamond on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Coach Frazier: CB Asher Allen decides to retire’

91. By sandiamond on May 31, 2012 | Reply

92. By Richard1A on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Kool video>

93. By dkopay on May 31, 2012 | Reply

time will tell!!!!

94. By Code Psn Gratuit on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

Have you ever considered creating an e-book or guest
    authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss
    and would really like to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my audience would appreciate your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

95. By Europa Universalis 4 crack on Sep 16, 2013 | Reply

all the time i used to read smaller articles or reviews
    that also clear their motive, and that is also happening with
    this piece of writing which I am reading at this
    time.

96. By 高品質 アウトレット on Oct 29, 2013 | Reply

You’ve made some decent points there. I looked on the web to find
    out more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this website.

97. By lawsuit loans on Nov 2, 2013 | Reply

Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Thanks

98. By pozycjonowanie stron www jelenia góra on Jan 14, 2014 | Reply

If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, just pay a quick visit
    this site every day as it provides feature contents, thanks

2. May 29, 2012: Vikings kick off OTAs with promising first day - The Viking Den » The Viking Den
  3. May 31, 2012: Minnesota Vikings updates on the first two days of OTA's | Vikings Territory
  4. Jun 1, 2012: Vikings Blog | What Happened At OTAs? «
  5. Jun 10, 2012: "Black and Blue" Blog: where passionate NFC North fans duke it out » Black, Blue, and Ornery: Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 » "Black and Blue" Blog: where passionate NFC North fans duke it out