Compiling research and developing opinions to create a Top 100 NFL Players list is difficult. That’s what CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist Pete Prisco did. Reading and then critiquing that list is not difficult. That’s what I’m going to do.
Prisco, who describes his Top 100 NFL Players List as being “based on eyes (mine), ears (listening to scouts) and hours of watching tape,” isn’t afraid to take a stand on issues (he says S Troy Polamalu is overrated) and he refuses to fall into conventional thinking (QB Tim Tebow isn’t on his list), so his list is an interesting read. He also factors in injuries, which means Ravens LB Terrell Suggs (Achilles) and Eagles LT Jason Peters (Achilles) are both off the list (he says they’d both be sure-fire Top 20 players without the injuries).
For Vikings fans, there are three notes I’d make on Prisco’s list:
– DE Jared Allen is ranked 11th following his 22.0-sack season in 2011. Could he be higher? Sure. I’d rank Allen ahead of DeMarcus Ware (#3), Julius Peppers (#8) and TE Rob Gronkowski (#10). But you can see why players such as Tom Brady (#2), Drew Brees (#6), Aaron Rodgers (#1) and Calvin Johnson (#4) are ahead of him.
– RB Adrian Peterson is ranked 28th. Obviously Peterson’s ACL injury drops him on the list, so it’s hard to critique Prisco’s ranking too much. I predict that if Prisco compiles another list one year from now, Peterson will be much higher than 28th, though.
– Neither LB Chad Greenway nor WR Percy Harvin made Prisco’s Top 100 list or the “10 who just missed” list. Granted, I may have a bias toward these Vikings players. But still, are there 18 LBs better than Greenway? That’s how many LBs there are on the list, a group that includes James Laurinaitis, Daryl Smith and Sean Weatherspoon. And are there 15 WRs better than Harvin? Prisco has that many among his top 110 players, a group that includes Marques Colston, AJ Green and Jordy Nelson. All three are talented players worthy of being among the top 100, but isn’t Harvin just as worthy?
A few other notes about Prisco’s list…
– LB Patrick Willis is ranked 13th. I would’ve put him in the Top 10, ahead of players such as Gronkowski, Peppers, DE Jason Pierre-Paul and Ware. And LB Derrick Johnson is ranked 54th, too high for me.
– TE Jimmy Graham is ranked 21st, which is a bit too high for me. He’s a good player with sky-high potential, but I think we could come up with 21 players better than him at this point.
– RB Arian Foster (36th) is slighted, and RBs Matt Forte (#63) and Chris Johnson (#88) probably feel like they’re being slighted.
– WR Wes Welker is ranked 42nd. If Welker is 42nd, Harvin should be in the Top 100.
– DE Trent Cole is 45th, nice job Mr. Prisco. I like Cole a lot and think he’s well worth this ranking.
– Who’d a thought that DT Ndamukong Suh (74th) would be rated this low after his rookie season?
– I wonder if QBs Tony Romo (78) and Cam Newton (83) are ranked too low.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Chad Greenway, Jared Allen, Percy Harvin
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 42 Comments »