Vikings Grab WR Jarius Wright In 4th Round

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 28, 2012 – 11:19 am

Needing a young, field-stretching WR at some point in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Vikings went other directions in the first three rounds and chose to rely on the draft’s WR depth to address that need at a later point. The plan worked, as the Vikings choose former Arkansas WR Jarius Wright with their first of three 4th-round selections on Saturday.

Wright measures in a 5-8, 182 pounds and clocked an impressive 4.44 time in the 40-yard dash. He is an experienced and productive receiver, appearing in all 12 games and starting 7 times as a true freshman in 2008. In 2009 he started 12 of 13 games, in 2010 he started all 13 games and in 2011 he started 12 times, missing the first and only game of his career. Wright was a team captain at Arkansas and fumbled the ball just one time during his career.

“He is a great addition to our team,” Vikings WRs coach George Stewart told me just after the selection was made. “He was one of the most explosive players in the country.”

As a freshman, Wright had 19 receptions for 348 yards and 2 TDs. He followed that season up with campaigns of 41-681-5, 42-788-5 and 66-1,117-12. He was Arkansas’ leading receiver in 2011 and was also chosen as a First-Team All-SEC performer.

Wright isn’t the biggest receiver in the world and he might be best in the slot. Of course the Vikings have one of the best slot receivers in the NFL in Percy Harvin, but having Wright in the fold allows the Vikings to be more creative in how they deploy Harvin within the offense.

We’ll have more on this selection and the rest of the Vikings picks later, so stay tuned to vikings.com.

Tags: , ,

75 Responses to “Vikings Grab WR Jarius Wright In 4th Round”

1. By stevef on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Now get McNut from Iowa

2. By rye on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

now draft streeter. we need a BIG WR with SPEED.

3. By Dahal on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

We had a chance at Nick Toon but the Saints snagged him when they saw that we didn’t.

4. By Spencer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Way too small…

5. By Spencer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Id rather have Streeter

6. By Dahal on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Nick Toon had a better grade too. By almost 10!

7. By byron viking fan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

should grab lb manning here

8. By Mike R. on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Maybe like someone said, to relieve Harvin on special teams.

Maybe late round flyer Dale Moss?

9. By Dahal on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Streeter has slippery hands, and can’t really jump for a ball too often. He is quick though.

10. By Shawn on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

OK … I lost internet connection for a minute but I am 50-50 on the Robinson pick

50 … position of need … Looks like Sherels and Asher might not make the team
    50 … I just dont know enough about him

NOW ON THIS 5’8″ WR … WTF SPIELMAN ?????????????????????????

11. By Shawn on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

OMG SPIELMAN DRAFTED A TE ?????????????????????????????

12. By rye on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

a FB/TE? Really! With all the other needs we are drafting backups for percy and carlson/Rudolph.

13. By greatirishpotatofamine on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

we are throwing this draft away, seems spielman only watches usc and notre dame tape

14. By rye on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

at least ellison looks like a brawler.

15. By Spencer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

TheF-ck? Why did Spielmen draft a TE?!?

16. By Sean on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I really like the Vikings’ mentality this year. Drafting quality guys, meaning team captains with experience and reliability. He may not be the tallest guy, but I like the pick a lot

17. By Matthias on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

He is a TE/FB-hybrid = replacement for ksauce

18. By alex on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

This guy isn’t huge like Ksauce tho

19. By rye on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

yeah, my initial reaction might be harsh. Matthias is right. This guy is a brawlwer that will make a good replacement for ksauce.

20. By Matthias on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

We already have 6,5-.6,6 Tightends. Why do we need tall WR’s if we already have guys like Rudolph ?

21. By lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I disagree, they are looking to replace an all pro lead blocker. They lost Kleinsasser, they needed that big guy who can lead block and still catch the ball when needed. I think Spielman should be applauded, he has actually picked for need instead of just taking “best available” as they have so often done. I think this has been the most productive draft the Vikings have had in years, perhaps ever, depending on how well these guys develop. With 5 picks in the next 20 spots, they are positiioned to fill additional depth.

22. By Shawn on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I actually kind of like the TE pick better than the WR pick … I dont get the 5’8″ WR BS

23. By Lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

wait this other lance is not me :(

24. By hognuts on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I like lance more than Lance.

25. By sandiamond on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

IMPACT PLAYER Please!!!!!!!!

26. By Lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Hognuts :(

27. By lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I would like to see a bigger, speed guy on the outside. Someone who can stretch the field and go up and get the ball. But I like the wright pick, lets not moan about small receivers, Harvin has shown that small doesn’t mean unproductive and wright has the same skill set as Percy as far as 1-speed, 2-quickness & elusiveness, 3-toughness, 4-ability to hang onto the ball over the middle, a pick like this just makes Percy that much more dangerous, because defenses can’t focus all their attention on him anymore.

28. By sandiamond on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

got the 6’3 receiver Childs!

29. By Lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

childs?

30. By KoN on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Greg Childs, interesting. They wen’t all offense in the 4th.

31. By lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

At least I pay attention to the skill set of the players that are picked and how they will help the team…..LOL.

32. By hognuts on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

He’s big at least

33. By Lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

2011 he got 240 yards? where was he positioned to go in this draft. I am not familier with this wr?

34. By tmoneyyo on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Ellison is a great pick at FB/TE, lance is right the Vikes need a guy to pave the way for our RB’s. I do think it was early to take a FB i thought we would go after Bradie Ewing the FB from Wisconsin in the 7th round the dude can play football. Im liking the arkansas WR corps coming to us wright and childs are good pick ups

35. By sandiamond on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

36. By sandiamond on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

CB coming?

37. By hognuts on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I like the Greg Chids pick. 6′ 3″ 220, nice

38. By lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

See, they agree with me, now they picked the big guy with some speed. This guy if healthy will be a great sideline threat as well as a deep threat over the middle.

39. By Lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

im hoping a LB here to be honest sand

40. By vikesfan5.0 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

We are adding depth, just in the wrong positionsIMO. BPA!

41. By hognuts on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Durability issues, though

42. By sandiamond on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

oh geez lost Chapman DT

43. By Goon Squad on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Please take Audie Cole with 138.

44. By lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind seeing the vikes grab Ewing in a later round, once you get to these later rounds, it never hurts to double up, as only half these guys will actually make the team.

45. By Lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

at 6-3 we could have took WR Juron Criner! :(

46. By sandiamond on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

may just take the best linebacker regardless olb/ilb

47. By Erik the Red on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Robert Blanton, I like the pick, and now H Smith has a friend

48. By KoN on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Looks like they might be waiting for Burfict.

49. By lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

two cornerbacks and a top notch safety, gotta love picking for weaknesses

50. By PurplHaze on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Welcome, Jarius!

51. By Erik the Red on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, I think it’s funny, Vikings drafted 2 offensive players from USC, 2 defensive players from ND, and 2 offensive players from ARK. Plus Robinson, and whoever else they pick. At least the guys will have some familiar faces

52. By Matthias on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

We get the Lion’s 4th round pick next year!!

53. By JP on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Vikings draft

Ok… Let me get this straight… Yesterday you all thought Spielman was a draft genius And now he is ” ruining the draft”?
    That is ridiculous! This is not like your fantasy football draft where your only objective is “fill the position.” Spielman has to think long term & they are going to pick the best player for team building long term )along with position need).
    Besides, the TE/FB combo is, I think a big part of the Vikings O strategy. And in terms of WR… There are still a number of good long ones left.
    Have an opinion… Sure… But leave the drafting to the professionals… It’s above your pay grade!

54. By jerdog99 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

don’t know why we are going for a wide reciever when we don’t have a QB.

55. By Goon Squad on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

What’d we get for the trade with the lions?

56. By lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Ponder will be an awesome quarterback now that we have a little protection for him.

57. By byron viking fan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

i dont like that trade with detroit myself, we could have grabbed terrell manning with that pick…sorry bash me if you want to… we could really use the help this year…i think they were havin an exceptional draft up to that point, still a stellar draft

58. By Erik the Red on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I agree with you 100% JP. I honestly have gained a lot of hope for this coming season through what I’ve seen in the draft so far, and the Vikings still have 4 picks remaining!

59. By Goon Squad on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

We picked up the lions 219th pick in 2012 and 2013 for our 138th.

60. By DeerTracks on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Just Great! The Vikings now have 10 WR’s on the Rostewr! Which ones’ will be booted off the team? Or Stop the Draft! We now have everything needed to go to the Super Bowl!

With Klinesaucer (Flying Saucer) gone, maybe the brand new TE can help protect Joe Wewb, when he is throwing..

Whats that you bellow? Ponder is QB? Not for long, Turkey….Ponder can go pound sand in his ear, or a Linebacker will, then watch Webb turn it on!

61. By Loretta Ostenso on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I am thrilled with the picks from Ark. These guys can play!! It was so much fun watching them as Razorbacks, and now I will get to see them as Vikes. They were a big reason that we (Ark) lost only two games last year and those were to the #1 and #2 teams in the nation. Skol Vikes and wooPigSooiie

62. By lance on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I have no issue with Joe Webb and don’t need you to call me names. Ponder is a very intellingent guy who will be the starting quarterback. Joe Webb is an OK quarterback who happens to be an incredible runner. Put him in the backfield if you want him on the field or even line him up in the slot. Ponder is the quarterback and now that he has had a year to mature and we have some protection for him, he will be everything we could ask for in a quarterback. When you speak about Joe Webb, have you really compared their histories? Give me the smart, decisive quarterback over the guy who can run a 4.5 40 anytime.

63. By JP on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Ok… Those of you who hate Ponder and want Webb at starting QB… We’ve started a blog for you to help. We think it will fit where your guys are at… You can find it at: footballkindergarden.dbag.net

64. By DeerTracks on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@JP, Didn’t ever state I hated Ponder, at any given time! If you want to check their histories,, just check on who was the better QB last year!

@lance—–which ever Lance or lance you are——-Never said at anytime I hated Pretty-boy Ponder! i was vocing my opinion on who is the better QB, which is Joe Webb!!

You should be proud to be mentioned in the same sentence as turkey, After all, Ben Franklin wanted that bird as the National Symbol of the United States!

65. By Matt on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

for all you dumb@ss fans thinking Rhett is a TE, he is an H-back/fullback/BLOCKING TE, learn the difference you wannabe football fans

66. By Duncan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I realize that you may not know much about Jarius Wright and Greg Childs. However, if you ever paid any attention to the SEC the last 4-5 five years you would know that they have been two of the top receivers in the SEC (the NFL Minor League). I have watched these guys since high school and they have improved and excelled at each level, and I don’t see this changing now that they are in the NFL. They are are coming out of a Pro-Style offense and are primed to be successful. Up until his (Greg Child) injury, he was listed in the same light as Julio Jones and AJ Green. So if you look at it, you guys have lucked up on two character guys with massive work ethic, who are use to taking a failing team and helping to make that team a successful power. When the playoffs hit, and Percy starts having those “Migraines” you guys will reflect back on this draft and thank Vikings management for bringing Wright and Childs in. I’m a Texas Long Horn’s fan through and through, and even though they are HOGS I can’t knock the skills and upside of both these guys. Be happy Vikings fans, they are going to make Ponder look like the second coming of Joe Montana.

67. By Loretta Ostenso on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

thanks Duncan. Very well said. One of the things I love about the SEC, fans of one team are fans of all unless they are the days’ opponents.

68. By Loretta Ostenso on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Oops, makes it sound like I think you are in the SEC. I know you are not. Maybe someday. :)

69. By Murph on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

There was really a lot of tall, speedy wr’s in THIS draft,getting an extra rd 4 pick next year could prove to be very nice indeed. Ellison was Kalils handy man literally when blocking.Smith and Blanton played in the same backfield in college.Although maybe not at their posiitions in the pro’s.I believe ,very strongly that this draft could prove to be phenomenal.The recievers taken also played on the same field.Taking Harvin out of the slot and out wide will likely add more games to his career! This could be the best draft they have had in years! The late round defensive lineman could be the steal of the draft and no head cases in the bunch! SUPER!

70. By vikingbob136 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Not crazy about another short receiver.It seems the most effective ones are the guys who at least 6 feet tall.We already have Harvin.

71. By Rogerthevikefan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Wright and Childs are very solid guys and will easily push Jenkins and the other Wrs besides Harvin and Simpson down the depth chart. As for Ellison he is a less built JimmyK. He can make some plays but is better blocking. I like him alot more then Hillard, Felton, and D’Imperio.

72. By pistachioking9 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

wtf! they didnt take dale moss……wtf!!!!
    PONDER TO MOSS!!!!!! sounds right to me…way to go spielman

73. By Rogerthevikefan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Did anyone draft Moss? If not maybe bring him in as a UDFA.

74. By troy on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Jarius Wright is 6-8 lbs lighter than Kendall Wright.. same height.. Why is Kendall Wright considered one of the best WR’s in the draft? He also had RG3

75. By Derrick.G on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Love this pick, gives us our own devin hester, put him in at kick returns and punt reurns, hes fast, and he’ll make plays for us, and we can keep harvin away from that kind of danger.