Stadium Bill Picks Up Steam, But Still Plenty Of Work To Be Done

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 24, 2012 – 6:49 am

It was just eight days ago when a Minnesota House of Representatives panel shot down stadium legislation that seemed to kill any chance of a resolution to the issue this year and thus putting the Vikings future in Minnesota in peril. But now, with the clocking ticking, positive momentum is building.

A headline in Tuesday’s Star Tribune reads “Vikings stadium revived, rolling,” and the opening paragraph by the paper’s writers – Mike Kaszuba and Jim Ragsdale – states that “the project’s momentum accelerated throughout the day amid indications the full House and Senate could vote on the proposal by Friday.”

Reaching the point where the full House and Senate vote on a proposal is the key. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Stadium Committee chairman/Pittsburgh Steelers Owner Art Rooney II visited the State Capitol late last week and met with Governor Dayton and State leaders. Those meetings were called productive and Commissioner Goodell indicated that his desire was for the stadium proposal to be voted on before the Legislature adjourned.

This is all good news, but also keep in mind that plenty of work remains and we’re not out of the woods yet. Stay tuned to vikings.com for the latest information, keep your fingers crossed, and use this link to contact your legislators and let them know that the time is now to solve this issue and keep the Vikings in Minnesota.

Tags:

381 Responses to “Stadium Bill Picks Up Steam, But Still Plenty Of Work To Be Done”

1. By charliewest40 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

First Again !

2. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Call in favor of the Vikings stadium…

3. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond…

Called every number on the list above…

Jeremy Millers office is in total support of the stadium bill…And I was lucky enough to be able to talk to one of his office personal working for him…

It was a nice (short) conversation…She had a very positive outlook on todays meeting…Lets keep those positive thoughts going fans…

And make those phone calls asking for our senators to vote YES…To the Vikings stadium..And help put Mn construction workers back to work… : )

4. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The 11th hour has passed, but the team gave the state an extension. Now it’s the 11th hour a day later. Do the right thing before it’s too late. You won’t get extensions indefinitely.

Oh yea, FIRST!

5. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

dámn, guess not – people found this one fast after I did.

6. By sandiamond on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

all good news, should pass on through with ease/ jobs and economics comm!!

7. By SEAL on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

PICK THESE PLAYERS FOR A 2012 PLAYOFF PUSH…
    . Round 1-WR Justin Blackmon
    . Round 2-S Harrison Smith/CB Stephon Gilmore/CB Janoris Jenkins
    . Round 3-S or CB (SS/CB Trumaine Johnson)

Free Agency
    . OT Marcus McNeill (Instead Of Drafting Kalil)
    -If we spend a little money here we can draft play makers like Leslie said and push to make the playoffs next year, SKOL VIKINGS

8. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Nothing has come easy when it comes to this stadium bill…

Make those calls…Keep the positve buzz going for the Vikings stadium bill…

9. By Roninmn.. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Kalil may not be a specific game changer, I see him more as a season saver, protecting our quarterback. If he opens big holes for A.P. and company, those can be classified as game changers too. We can get so called game changers in the second and third rounds. The draft is deep with corners and wide outs. A strong house starts with a good foundation. Get Kalil. Do it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

“It’s weird because I had those kids while I was playing college football and it didn’t affect me not once,” Jenkins told the Palm Beach Post. “I’m proud to have my four kids. If they want to throw that in my face, so be it.

“Everybody has kids. Where in the book do it say you can’t have kids? It doesn’t say that in the law. I’m a great father. I’m there whenever they need me.”
    – Janoris Jenkins

11. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Im starting to fall in love with J.Jenkins again…

My brain keeps telling me Harrison Smith, but my heart is crying out for Janoris Jenkins.

12. By Roninmn.. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Janoris Jenkins is a better pick than Harrison Smith. But we need a good safety in a bad way. Hmmm…..

13. By greatirishpotatofamine on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I’d rather we take Claiborne, but trade down to do it. Claiborne and Cook sounds good to me. What about Andrew Datko at LT?

14. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer…

You should really look for a job working with Suzy Kolber…

You both seem to enjoy plenty of drama in your football players lives ??…

I like football players that play football…I don’t care if they have 10 kids…Smoke weed…Are tough guys off the field…Beat up women…Just got out of prison and could use a job…

If a football player were to see Suzy coming his way for an interview…
    That player should run for the hills…Because you know all she wants to know is what is happening in that players life outside of football…Or some feel good or bad story…And nobody really cares…Except for Suzy…

15. By Roninmn.. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I could live with a trade if we can aquire Riley Reiff and a boat load of picks.

16. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – It has nothing to do with having kids, but with having them with 5 different women! It’s obvious that not one of them was planned. All of us have something that didn’t go as planned, but to have it recur that frequently seems unfathomable.

They were all a result of him not being able to control his urge to please himself. How far does he let his inner urges control himself? When does common sense take over? Does he even have common sense?

17. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The 5-kids is a big red warning sign. Sure, he may be a great player, but does that matter if he does something that keeps him out of the game? Unprotected sex sounds like a great idea to him, so why not crack and weed? So long as he doesn’t get caught, he can still get those fixes of pleasure and play the game he loves…

…if he doesn’t get caught…

And if he gets caught once, so what? He’ll get off eventually, and can then go right on back to doing what he loves. He couldn’t possibly get caught a second, third, fourth or fifth time for the same offense….could he?

18. By charliewest40 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

With Brian Dawkins retiring the Broncos are 1 more team interested in Harrison Smith.

19. By Megakrab on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@Parody I’m agree with 98% of the stuff you say, but I have a kid and I wasn’t dating the girl or married or anything. I’ve never even thought about crack and I’ve never been arrested. That might be one of the most ignorant things I’ve heard on this blog. Don’t worry, still much love for your other views though.

20. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Megakrab – Maybe this article will show why my comment isn’t as ignorant as you think:

21. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

This article lays it out a bit more clearly:

22. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Apparantly my numbers were off – just 4 kids with 3 women…still…

23. By Bigfan1 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Do it.

24. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings stadium: Bill sent to House floor; Senate action could follow

By Doug Belden

Posted: 04/24/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT April 24, 2012 5:8 AM GMTUpdated: 04/24/2012 12:08:11 AM CDT

Undated 2012 courtesy image of a proposed Minnesota Vikings stadium for downtown Minneapolis. Image courtesy of the Minnesota Vikings. RelatedMore Vikings

Almost showtime for the Vikings’ draft teamSansevere: Vikings should draft Kalil in 1st, cornerback in 2nd, receiver in 3rdVikings still doing their homework on free-agent receiver Jerome SimpsonFor Vikings, taking Matt Kalil at No. 3 isn’t the only draft optionCharley Walters: Price of Vikings’ No. 3 draft pick would be steepTom Powers: Reaching a Vikings stadium deal will get mucky
    A bill that would use $550 million in public money to build a stadium for the Minnesota Vikings on the site of the Metrodome is on its way to the floor of the House.

On a divided voice vote – which means the members’ votes weren’t recorded – the House Ways and Means Committee approved moving the bill forward without recommendation Monday evening, April 23.

In the Senate, a committee was scheduled to hear a similar bill Tuesday morning, and a GOP spokesman said it could come up for a vote on the floor as soon as Thursday.

Getting an up-or-down floor vote in both chambers is what Gov. Mark Dayton and other stadium backers have been asking for all session, so Monday’s developments were a significant step.

25. By Bigfan1 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

These press conferences with anyone are useless, they never say anything and if they do it’s politically correct.

26. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Another Senate committee today at 10:45 a.m. Hopefully more good news.

27. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Divided voice vote, they did not want the MN Vikings fans to know who vote yes and who voted no.

28. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

That’s how I see it too, DRS. They know how to cover their tracks, huh?

29. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Just get the blasted stadium built!!!

30. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The main question: ‘Is he a good football player?’

Article by: DAN WIEDERER , Star Tribune Updated: April 24, 2012 – 6:33 AM

All the prep work boils down to that basic question when the Vikings make their picks.

31. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Draft analyst suggests Kalil, Robinson and Streeter as 1-2-3 punch for Vikings
    Posted by: Dan Wiederer under The draft, Vikings Updated: April 24, 2012 – 7:53 AM

32. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Notre Dame’s Floyd makes positive second impression
    Article by: CHIP SCOGGINS , Star Tribune Updated: April 24, 2012 – 10:13 AM
    The Cretin-Derham Hall product has overcome his personal troubles to become one of the top wide receiver prospects in the NFL draft.

33. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings stadium revived in House committee
    Video by: McKenna Ewen Updated: April 24, 2012 – 7:02 AM
    The Minnesota House revived the plan for a new Vikings stadium on Monday, and the project’s momentum accelerated throughout the day amid indications the full House and Senate could vote on the proposal by Friday

34. By Chris on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The more and more I think about it. The pick that really makes since for the Vikngs to maie is Claiborne. With all the good quaterbacks in our division, along with good receivers, picking Claiborne to me is more of a priority than anyone else.

Good news on the stadium. But, I’ve gotten my hopes up before. I will believe it’s true when they put the first shovel into the ground.

35. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

That last video I posted is really revealing as to the stadium issue.

36. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

It is looking very good for the Minnesota Vikings but I fear there is a lot of hostility towards the Minnesota Vikings in the legislature, just watch the video I just posted.

37. By s.j.viking on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind wearing a BLACKMON jersey #81 go vikes!!!

38. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

My opinion, and I know it’s not the most popular one, is that Floyd should be the top receiver in the draft. Flame if you will, but that’s my opinion.

If we don’t take Kalil @ #3 overall, our season is for not! Yeah, you can quote me!

39. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Report: Jerome Simpson suspended three games

By Tim Yotter & Wire Reports
    VikingUpdate.com
    Posted Apr 24, 2012

Free-agent wide receiver Jerome Simpson, who visited the Vikings, was suspended three games by the NFL for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, according to ESPN.

40. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

DON’T BE A B~U~M, SPEILMAN! LEAVE THE TRASH IN THE DUMPSTER! DON’T SIGN SIMPSON!!!

41. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings Stadium: Full House and Senate Could Vote on FridayApr 24th, 2012 at 9:37 am by danzinskiVikingsHome » Vikings » Vikings Stadium: Full House and Senate Could Vote on Friday All it took was a couple threats by Roger Goodell to get the stadium moving forward again. Monday night the House Ways and Means Committee sent a recommendation for a revised funding plan to the House, and now indications are the full House and Senate could vote on the plan by Friday. This just a week after the stadium bill looked dead in the water in the wake of a committee defeat.

Still, the typical hidden political games are being played at the same time the process appears to be gaining momentum. Certain committees are being prevented from taking up the bill for fear there won’t be enough votes. And there is still concern that not enough Democrats are ready to jump on board.

I guess it’s a positive sign that things are moving toward a vote, but it’s fair to wonder how good the bill’s prospects really are. Goodell’s threats may have gotten things moving forward again but the fact remains, the stadium won’t get built until the political will exists to pass the plan. Steering things through select committees and cobbling together shaky coalitions may only be creating a false sense of momentum that will all go away once legislators are forced to vote for real.

Like The Viking Age on Facebook.
    Follow Dan Zinski on Twitter.

Tags: minnesota vikings, stadium

42. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@PurplHaze,

I think Floyd is better than Blackmon too.

43. By Thevikes07 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If we pass on KALIL i’ll be still happy if we get CLairborne or Michael Floyd!

44. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Typical hidden political games are being played, and they wonder why politicians are so abhorrent by so many people.

45. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Remember … Right up front is where it all starts. If O-line or D-line are weak, it’s going to affect ALL other positions on the field!!!

RICK SPIELMAN … GET IT RIGHT IN THE 2012 NFL DRAFT BY SELECTING MATT KALIL @ #3 OVERALL!!! DON’T MESS THIS ONE UP!!!

46. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If and this is not totally out of the realm of reality, the legislature fails to approve the stadium, making the Viking move out of state I will push for the Vikings to play in New Mexico as the New Mexico Road Runners in Santa Fe New Mexico. Better here than LA.

I am praying as hard as I can for the State of Minnesota to wake up and smell the roses and approve the new stadium that the Vikings want and need.

47. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

DRS … Would you then play the Looney Tunes theme as the team comes out of the tunnle on game day? =))

KEEP THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS IN MINNESOTA WHERE THEY BELONG!!!

48. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Minn. House revives Vikings stadium bill

49. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

PurplHaze, maybe, yes the Vikings belong in Minnesota, the question is dose Minnesota want the Vikings?

50. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I hear you, DRS, and I appreciate you! Keep fighting the good fight!!!

51. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

PurplHaze, if the Vikings are forced to move do you really want them in LA?

52. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Being completely honest, I can’t imagine the Vikings being anywhere but Minnesota!

If they should move, which I hope-pray-feel that they won’t, I think a name change would be manditory. I don’t see them being the “Vikings” anywhere else in the country besides in Minnesota.

53. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I want the Vikings in Minnesota, I have been a fan of theirs from 1968 and would almost die if they where to move, but if they are forced to move I want them somewhere like NM, virgin ground you know.

54. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I would feel better about that than California or Texas, DRS. They’ve already got enough NFL teams.

55. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

And besides I would have a state to be proud of once more, Maybe they could be called the outlaws of New Mexico and the stadium could be called the Billy the Kid stadium, Lincoln New Mexico is not far from me, that is where Billy the Kid and Pat Garret where.

56. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

But once more I have to say, WAKE UP MINNESOTA AND GET THE D*M STADIUM BUILT NOW!!!!!

57. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Road Runners just doesn’t sound like a football name. Not vicious enough. They should be the New Mexico Coyotes. That’s a much more fearsome name.

Coyotes always win, right?

58. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Outlaws? Well I know one fan who would stay true to the team if they took that name…

59. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Live video of the Senate committee.

60. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

They could be called the regulators, LOL, SKOL Vikings; I am a praying and a hopping for the MN Vikings.

61. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

New Mexico Scorpions would be kinda cool too … People don’t think there’s much to them, until they get stung! >:)

62. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Parody, not when it comes down to the Road Runner, LOL.

63. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

PurplHaze, so true, and the smaller ones are more deadly than the bigger ones.

64. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I think the Minnesota Vikings sound the best.

65. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

How about the New Mexico Diamond Backs or the Rattlers?

66. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Serpant has a bit more sting to it.

Diamondback is too attached to your neighbor to the West.

67. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

hognuts, that is very true but what will Minnesota due to keep the team there: their track record is not that good, yes I will keep praying up to the last second that the powers to be will due the correct thing and get the stadium built.

68. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Parody, true, very true.

69. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Rd1 Pick 3 – Trent Richardson
    **Rd1 Pick 4 – Morris Claiborne
    **Rd1 Pick 22 – Harrison Smith
    Rd2 Pick 3 – Mike Adams
    **Rd2 Pick 22 – Alshon Jeffery

** – Adrian Peterson and Jasper Brinkley to the Clevelend Browns for there 2 1’s and a 2nd.

If this happened how would we not be a playoff contender with 9 or 10 wins.
    Like they say T Rich is A.P. 2.0 and 2 DB in Rd1 that is a steal.???

70. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I REALLY like Minnesota Vikings too!!! :'(

71. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Put down the p i p e and step away from the c r a c k, Cody!

That stuff’s not good for you, nor is it good for the MN Vikings 2012 season!

72. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Never ever going to happen Cody. Maybe if Adrian wasn’t coming off of the worst injury you can have in sports.

73. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Jenkins will prove you doubters wrong…

74. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

No one has talked about the possibility of the Minnesota Indian tribe’s suing to stop the gambling aspect of the financing for the New Stadium, or have they resolved that question? Just asking, I remember something being talked about a few years ago that the tribes would not put up with that avenue of financing. Has the state come to an understanding with the tribes?

75. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If the Legislature cannot find the B-A-L-L-s to vote for this stadium bill, maybe the State can take the White Earth Tribes offer and build the stadium.

76. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer,

Now that we know Jerome Simpson will be suspended for 3 games, would you bring him in?

77. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Couldn’t happen to a nicer groop of guys! S C U M B A G S ! ! !

78. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Well let’s see what will happen, only days until we see if we have the MN Vikings for years to come or if this is their last year, we will see soon, here is to hope.

79. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

*** Group, too

80. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Hognuts- I wouldnt bring him in. I was never that fond of Simpson anyways- a #2WR at best.

81. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

WE SIGNED JEROME SIMPSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

82. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

83. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

OK, now that’s just plain S T U P I D ! ! !

84. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

It blows that hes suspended for the first 3 games…but by the time he comes back we should be 2-1- so its all good.

85. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Would the real Randy Moss please stand up???

86. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I swear I have never been so excited for pre-season football in years!!!!

87. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Minneapolis residents say Vikings jobs to costly and are not needed, just head that on the live feed at http://southwestminneapolis.patch.com/articles/live-senate-jobs-committee-debates-minnesota-vikings-stadium

88. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Sorry that should have been heard not head.

89. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Looks like the Vikes should take my advice and, if a new stadium is built, throw in a few jail cells and corrections officers to go with it. :-/

90. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

91. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

So many haters by the Viking Faithful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Wobbs- New blog, please!

92. By mad1 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

People are laughing at the vikings fans….on that monday only 50 of us showed up downtown Minneapolis. I read all the comments we have to be heared call send e mails show up to all the meetings show them we are more then 50 strong…..people say they can hear us for blocks in the dome so it time to let them hear us outside the dome……..

93. By charliewest40 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We signed Jerome Simpson Fred ! Now we MIGHT draft your 2 Oline and 2 Dbacks early afterall …..

94. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I just don’t like the lack of player character always making the mainstream media, Spencer … That’s all!

95. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

QB-Ponder RB-Gerhart TE – Rudolph, Carlson LT – Mike Adams * LG – Charlie Johnson or late rounder C- Sully RG- Schwartz RT – Loadholt WR – HARVIN,SIMPSON,JENKINS,AROMASHADU,JEFFERY* ???

DE – Allen, Robison DT – Williams, Ballerd or Merling(FA) LB – Greenway,Henderson,Brinkley SS – Sanford FS – Bowman or Carr could be here?
    CB – COOK,CARR,CLAIBORNE,WINFIELD,BOWMAN
    WHay u think

96. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Jerome Simpson

(●̮̮̃•̃) (̅_̅_̅_̅(̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅̅_̅()ڪے
    /█\
    .Π.

97. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Have things to do, have fun.

98. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

L8r, DRS

99. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Whatever man, he likes to smoke pot, that’s better than alcoholics (Kramer), wife abusers (Moon), drug addicts (Carter) or p1mpwannabees (McKinnie)

100. By NovaScotiaVike on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, why can’t you comprehend that any of those vices that you listed above will get you suspended because of the NFL conduct rules? In the eyes of the NFL, all of them are equal, and grounds for dismissal.

101. By NovaScotiaVike on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

That’s like saying being shot to death is better than being stabbed to death, in the end, you’re still dead.

102. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Percy can keep him out of trouble.

103. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

You guys are really killing my joy right now- lighten up, we just signed a talented, young WR!

I guess this means no Jeffery tho :(

104. By NovaScotiaVike on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Hognuts, hopefully, but at age 26 nobody should require babysitting.

105. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

LOL- Did you guys hear about the CB that got arrested for hitting a cop? And this happened just days before the draft…what a moron!!!!

106. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Anyone watching that Senate committee?

107. By NovaScotiaVike on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I tried, but watching a bunch of politicians lie to each other is about as pleasant to me as watching dogfighting.

108. By NovaScotiaVike on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Now, if one of the politicians died at the end……

109. By charliewest40 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I still like

Kalil
    Smith
    Quick

110. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I like that too charlie.

111. By sandiamond on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

sounds like tackle,wr,cb first three rounds regardless of order. paton,spielman,frazier and studwell making the decisions for early picks

112. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond- whose your favorite college team?

113. By Titus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Wow, Spencer. Wow.

114. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Claiborne Blackmon
    Adams Smith
    Jeffery or Quick T.Johnson

or or

Kalil Kalil
    Smith Hightower
    Quick or Jeffery Best DB available

115. By sandiamond on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Bama!

116. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Sir Titus, what did I do?

117. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The stuff i wrote there is 4 diff senarios

118. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

That press conference Spielman just gave was about as informative as all the rumors and innuendo in the media in recent days. It gives ZERO INSIGHT!!!

119. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

So I’d be OK with…

#3 = Kalil
    #35 = Smith
    #66 = Quick

or

#3 = Kalil
    #35 = Randle
    #66 = T. Johnson

And Tommy Streeter is also looking pretty good to me! Raw, but excelent size for a WR!!!

120. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Senate committee passed. Did not hear one “nay.”

121. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

A word to the wise!!!

Don’t EVER play p~o~k~e~r with Rick Spielman!!! =))

122. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

WoooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooo HOGNUTS!!!

123. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I swear if we get “Body Catch” Randle….

124. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Matt Kalil
    Janoris Jenkins or Harrison Smith
    Sean Spence … move Erin Henderson to MLB
    Marvin McNutt

125. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

126. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

What’s the matter, Spencer? His rap sheet aint long enough for ya?

127. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Whatever happens we have to protect Ponder and STOP GB, DETROIT, AND CHICAGO FROM SCORING

128. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Only one mid round WR we should look at is Juron Criner. Now that we picked up Simpson we can rule out Blackmon :P

1st Kalil LT
    2nd Smith/ T Johnson SS
    3rd Criner WR
    4th Brandon Brooks OG :)

129. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Our secondary has to be as good as our front seven to pick off Rodgers, Stafford, and Cutler

130. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Whoops wrong Tweet.

131. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

132. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I have no idea how you can say Randle is a body catcher … its just not true. Well it is coming from Spencer.

133. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Purplehaze- Hes just not good, its that simple.

134. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

You need to get your eyes checked, Spencer.

Ditto what Shawn said!

135. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Then again, we disagree on Jeffrey’s FAT self, so I guess we can call it even!

136. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Spencer about pre season … there will be a ton of competition and I think we will be better

137. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Nice!

138. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

i just had a thought … Art Rooney 2 came to MN to show Viking support in return for Mike Tomlin

139. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

140. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

141. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

“I didn’t like the fact that he, from my perspective, he quit in the national championship game. Walking back to the huddle, he wasn’t getting the ball, he was getting frustrated, he was letting everyone know about it.”
    -Todd McShay on Reuben Randle

So thats what you guys want? A player that quits?

142. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

In a weak safety draft, Smith’s value becomes great

143. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We better not draft Randle

144. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

GDP … thats actually a very good looking mock.

145. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer thats a better argument than calling him a body catcher

146. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

According to Ted, there will be a group of fans gathering on Wednesday at 3:00 pm in Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce during their committee meeting, as well as a group of fans gathering to coincide with the Vikings Draft party.

147. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Yeah its the first 7 round mock I’ve seen on NFL.com

148. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

That’s all well and good, GDP, but there’s plenty good stuff in that same article he left out …

ESPN analyst Todd McShay on Randle: “I like Reuben Randle. When I watched tape of him I was surprised at how much more athletic he was than I thought. I think he’s a little more athletic and a little tougher after the catch than I expected. I also think he’s more than just a 9-route guy. .But the more I studied, the more I realize he can run routes and can be a good player.”

BE FAIR, SPENCER!!!

149. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I LOVE THAT MOCK, GDP!!!

Hey, Spencer … Have a look at that projected #35! =)))))))))))))))

150. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

R1- Kalil
    R2- H.Smith
    R3- Brian Quick

That would make me HAPPY :)

151. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Scouting Report

152. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Negatives — Needs to refine some his route running, he’s not bad, but he’s mostly been utilized down the field and he could improve his underneath routes… For a guy who can go get the deep ball, he disappointed at the combine with only a 31″ vertical… Long strider, can get behind the defense, but it takes him a bit to get up to full speed… The long strides also make him a step slow off the line of scrimmage and he may have some trouble with press coverage… Can disappear in games, had five receptions for 31 yards in LSU’s two games against Alabama combined and had seven games with three or less receptions as a junior… There were seven of his 39 games in his collegiate career where he failed to record a reception.

Read more: http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/wr/rueben-randle/#ixzz1szFpXzpx

153. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

154. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) – Another state Senate committee has kept the Vikings stadium bill moving at Minnesota’s Capitol.

The Senate Jobs and Economic Development Committee moved the proposal forward Tuesday on a voice vote. It’s due next in the Senate Finance Committee which could be its last stop before a Senate floor vote.

The House version of the $1 billion stadium proposal has cleared committees and could get a floor vote as early as Wednesday.

As the stadium plan picks up steam, opponents in the Legislature are wondering if they can stop what’s starting to look like a juggernaut. But the Vikings are well-funded and have high-profile allies in business, labor and among prominent leaders, while opponents are disparate and span a wide ideological spectrum that doesn’t lend itself to an organized pushback.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

155. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Alshon Jeffrey

156. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, Purpl, Shawn, and any1 else on Reuben Randle-

157. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Read Alshon’s negatives! They’re almost identicle.

158. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Brian Quick would be a better pick at #35 than Randle

159. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think so, GDP

160. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

GDP- Do you still want us to draft Devin Still in R2?

161. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Have a look at this one!

162. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Does anybody know how to hack a W.E.P password?

163. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

W.E.P.?

164. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

WOW … that nfl mock has Dennard , who was a early to mid 2nd falling to the end of the 5th round … i say we take him with our 3rd 4th rounder.

Kalil
    Harrison Smith
    Brian Quick
    Terrell Manning
    Marcus Forston
    Alfonzo Dennard
    Adam Gettis
    Audie Cole
    Dale Moss

165. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Alfonzo Dennard could become a solid contributor on our team. Why not give him a chance?

166. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- Why does it matter? Its not going to happen whether I want it to or not.

167. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Jail Cells and Corrections Officers, I say!!!

The Minnesota Vikings present … “The Longest Yard”

168. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Theres going to be some interesting cuts to end preseason

169. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Juron Criner in the mid rounds :)

170. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Hmmm as I recall in the replacements they had a felon who could play some serious football!

maybe spencer is onto something

171. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

maybe trade for Michael Vick and Burress while we add jailmates?

172. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I would take Vick in a heartbeat…

173. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vick mentoring Webb :)

174. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

………………….Raymond……………………………………………..HSmith…………………….
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    …Bowman…………………………………………………………………………………..Cook……
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    …………………………………………….ErinHenderon………………………………………………
    ……….Winfield…Greenway…………………………………………..Spence……………….
    ……………………………Allen……Guion………Williams……Robison………………………..

175. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

sigh

176. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Lol Shawn….it didnt come out too good.

177. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Guion? hmm that makes me nervous

178. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

………………….Raymond…………………………………….HSmith…………………………..
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    Bowman……………………………………………………………………………………….Cook
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    ……………….Greenway……………….ErinHenderson……………..S.Spece
    ………….Allen……………….Williams…………………….Ballard…………….Robison

179. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I am telling you all this is who we need! Plus, spencer youd like him he been arrested once and TASERED!

180. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

______________Raymond____________________Smith_____________
    ___________________________________________________________
    _Bowman______________________________________________Cook_
    ______Winfield_____________ErinHenderson______________________
    __________Greenway____________________________Spence______
    _______________Allen__Guion_____Williams___Robison____________

181. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We may not have the best CB’s…but we do have a lot of depth.
    -Cook
    -Bowman
    -Winfield
    -Carr
    -Sherals
    -Burton

182. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I wanted to add the NB

183. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Alright guys let me set the record straight- its not that I love criminals, its just that the players I like just so happen to be criminals. Understand that lads?

184. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer you forgot Asher Allen

185. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- Thats 12 men on the field haha.

186. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, that would get us a penalty ^

12 men on the field :-D

187. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

LMAO

188. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Wow…I did forget Ash-t Allen.

I wonder who will get cut?

Hopefully my boy Burton makes the team, hes Brent Grimes 2.0.

189. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Does he have a lengthy rap sheet, Spencer?

190. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I know … its 12 men … i just wanted to get the NB option on the screen.

191. By Saddy on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings will trade down and swap places with St. Louis Rams, league sources, Rick spielman told Adam Schefter 3rd pick trade is heating up and a deal could be done before Thu evening.

St Louis Rams want Trent Richardson RB bad and Vikings might still land Kallil or Blackmon or Stephon Gilmore or even Mo Claiborne.

Looks like a good deal to me..

192. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

As far as im concerned this team still does not have a quality #2 CB!

Chris Carr=Nickle
    Winfield=Nickle
    Asher Allen=Nickle
    Sherals=Nickle
    Bowman=Nickle

And Brandon Burton isnt ready yet, but maybe he improved over the offseason- who knows?

193. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

That would be a sweet deal … trade to Rams pick up another early 2nd and get

Kalil
    Reuben Randle
    Harrison Smith

194. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

It’s ONLY a good deal if we still get Kalil!

SPIELMAN … DON’T GAMBLE WITH CPs FUTURE! DRAFT KALIL @ #3 OVERALL ON 4/26!!!

195. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer … Burton is being groomed for an outside spot.

196. By Saddy on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Agree Shawn, hope this happens…I know St Louis Rams are capable as they have 2 2nd round picks.

197. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

this guy and cook will stop anyone in our div :)

198. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

A scouting report on Brandon Burton when he came out of college last season..

199. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Wow, I’m surprised by the Simpson signing, not because it happened, but because it happened before the draft. I would have expected it to happen only if we didn’t land a solid sleeper in the draft, but I’m excited to see how he and Ponder connect on the field.

He definitely had the best play of the season last year:

200. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

plus this vid shows his size and speed and hard hitting to shut down TE’s and big recievers :)

201. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

T. Johnson is definitely a lights out secondary player. Would love it if he was added to the roster. Would give our secondary some grit. =)

202. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Plus he plays FS… and did well as a KR? I think we could use that talent in purple :)

203. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

You’ll notice I did NOT type “CB” up there ^ ;)

204. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Now that we have Simpson, I don’t think the Vikings should address the WR position in the draft until the 4th round, unless there’s someone who really slips by the time our 3rd round pick comes up.

My draft outlook just changed bigt time because of this signing, even if he doesn’t play the first 3 games. We now have Simpson and Jenkins to help Harvin get back into his prime position at the slot, and Aromashodu to round them out as a respectable #4 man. Aromashodu’s and Simpson’s contracts are one year deals, so finding a mid-round player who has the potential to replace one of them next year is what we should be looking for.

Obviously, I’m still predicting Kalil, and then Smith in the first two rounds. Then I’d aim for a LB or CB in the third round. Mychal Kendricks would be a great pick if he’s still there. Sean Spence would be my second choice. Otherwise a CB like Ron Brooks could be an enticing choice.

4th round pick, see if a good WR prospect is still available, otherwise just go BPA from there on out, making sure to add a solid Kicker in the later rounds.

205. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Trumaine Johnson has something that our secondary is lacking…..Swag.

This dude just seems like the kind of CB that would go up to Megatron or Brandon Marshall and say “Ima bout to make you mah b-tch this game, cuz!”

Trumaine is gonna be the TRUTH!

206. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Agreed the dude will seriously help us shut down defences… and still get Kalil and not claiborne. Plus… he can play most secondary positions is a big thing for us. Id love to say pick in in 3rd but i doubt he would be there….. So tough choice at 2nd if H smith is there still

207. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

So with the addition of Simpson, our team has 7-first rounders, dating all the way back to Winfield who was a first round pick from the 99 draft, and 6-second rounders, with TE Carlson and WR Simpson sharing the status of most seasoned vets, both having been drafted in 2008.

That group contains 3 WRs, 2 RBs, 2 TEs and a QB, so I think we should be set with offensive playmakers this year. 2 CBs, a DT and a LB round off the defensive side of the group. So that appears to be the area that definitely needs some early consideration in this year’s draft.

208. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

By the 4th round, there are some attractive names projected to still be on the board … Like Toon, Hilton, McNutt, and Streeter just to name a few.

209. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Harrison Smith should be the pick in the 2nd Round. He would be a phenomenal safety for us.

210. By Spencer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

211. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I agree with ya I like H smith as well. I dont see him sliping out of 1st round tho. If he does,,, take him. Maybe we can trade back up mid 2nd to take T Johnson?

212. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Also PurpleHaze Juron Criner maybe a steal if he goes into the 4th round… with us have 3 4th rd picks we can really possibly get some fallen talent

213. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Agreed … And the pool for WR is so deep, I think it’s possible to find a steal in any round.

214. By Richard1A on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Now lets get it built in Arden Hills like the Vikes originaly wanted. Defense!

215. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

BTW – Is everyone satisfied yet that we’ve done something in this year’s free agent market? I recall a lot of people crying that Speilman was sitting on his hands the entire time, while all the top prospects were given insane contracts.

We picked up 2 CBs, a 2nd round TE, depth/competition players at RB and FB, a veteran 3rd string QB, an interior offensive lineman with plenty of potential, and a very enticing WR – albeit he will be sitting out the first 3 games.

I’m excited to see how Speilman constructs the remaining needs of the team through the draft. It looks like he may know what he’s doing afterall…

216. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – I like that video! Especially the clip(s) where he jumps out of nowhere and plucks the INT right out of the receiver’s hands. The receiver actually looks kinda stunned, like “WHERE DID HE COME FROM???”

217. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Simpson and Carlson were good pick ups. I am not really impressed with the CBs we picked up… They do add depth but both to me are not starting CB’s.

The FB was ok because we seriously need someone to block! but I am most impressed with adding Schwartz. He is a very good run blocking OL man. Adding him adding a good solid young Starter to our OL. I think we should over look him

FA i give rick a “B” Grade

218. By iaVIKE on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Parody – And they’re low risk one year deals too. If they prove themselves we’ll sign em to longer deals after the season. I like the way Spielman approached this offseason

219. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Shouldn’t

220. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikes will be the dumb idiots to draft Gilmore that early that would be a typical draft.
    We could Draft Luke Kuechley if we traded down to 6 and then traded down again say to 8-9-10 or 11 we could take Kuechley that wouldnt be a bad LB corpes Greenway,Kuechley,Henderson,Brinkley?

221. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Simpson is 6’2″ with a 4.47 second 40, and 37.5″ vertical. So he doesn’t exactly have blazing speed, but he’ll win most jump bãlls, as his draft scouting report indicates. So it looks like the team is setting Ponder up for a lot of high throws, with Simpson, Rudolph and Carlson all tall targets that should be able to win the battle in the air.

222. By Nicholas on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Awesome…trade interest is heating up for the # 3 pick.

Good Job with all of the Smoke Screens Speilman/Frazier.

223. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I’m starting to wonder how this team is going to shape out by the time the season begins. I have a list of 47 players who are currently on the team who I think should make the final cut – but that’s not knowing who we draft. Adding 10 draft picks means that some group of at least 4 of these players will have to be cut or join the practice squad. The 7th rounders are likely choices for the squad, but who else?

Now that I look my list over, I have 5 TEs, so one of them will probably not be on the final roster. Will it be Sherels, Reisner or Shuler? Then do we have a FB on the team, or just use 2011’s strategy of having a TE line up in the backfield when needed? We might be down to 3 TEs to make room for a FB.

I only have 3 LBs, so that should make things more interesting. We need at least 5 LBs on the final roster, and probably should have 6. It’ll be interesting to see how everything works out in the end.

224. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Felton is the FB

225. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I think Frampton should be the first cut. But we need to add/adjust the roster to get other safeties first. Frampton is earning upwards of $1.1 Million this year, and he has yet to start a game. He’s a veteran special teamer, but he’s coming into his 6th year in the NFL. If he can’t earn a starting position by now, we’d be better off looking for younger, cheaper players to replace him.

226. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Cody – Right now I agree that Felton should be the FB, but then what do we do with TEs? Rudolph and Carlson are locks, and then I think the roster only has room for 1 more. Does Reisner or Shuler get the final spot?

227. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

*Correction to an earlier post – I don’t know how I got Sherels listed as a TE – should have been Hardy, but I think he’s just off-season roster depth at this point.

228. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

1.Rudolph 2.Carlson 3.Hardy 4.Reisner 5.Shuler thats how i would rank em i really like Hardy to make team if you watch tape he can catch like Rudy and Truck like LaGarrett Blount man he is good stuff

229. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Is it thursday yet? ugg

230. By Ted Brown 23 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Common Man said whoever votes “NO” “WE’LL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER”

231. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

just some food for thought! but this list shows that T Johnson is ranked higher up then H smith. I am just saying… I really like this T johnson…. Who plays both Safety and CB

232. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Lance – That also has Quick rated as a high 2nd rounder, above Hill who has been projected as a 1st rounder for a few months now. LB David is also ranked much lower than I’ve seen anywhere else. This all makes me think that this list is probably inaccurate….

233. By Viking-ology on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Secure Kalil.

234. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Parody- Everyone’s list is going to be different. They are all for the most part inaccurate

235. By Viking-ology on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know how you guys do it, but good job fellow bloggers for all your stadium/draft articles.

236. By Viking-ology on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The stadium is truly the real issue. The draft is just the fluff until the stadium deal is approved.

237. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Reuben Randle- He has a very underdeveloped route tree specifically on the 1, 2, 3, and 4 routes…Seems to have been worked so that he could be a deep threat but hasn’t seen a ton of reps working in the underneath or intermediate zone…Questions exist about his separation ability in the NFL and deep speed…he doesn’t accelerate all that well and he needs to become more precise in his breaks in order to separate…not sure how much he’ll offer in terms of YAC…he does not possess the quick area burst that will make the defender miss…will need to continue to work on his blocking in the open field…we would like to see him get more aggressive in every aspect of his game…he has the size and speed to dominate, the question is when will he realize it and when will he want to do something about it?

238. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina- Lacks a 2nd gear – Loses speed out of his breaks, doesn’t always gain true separation from college corners – Could sharpen up his routes – Makes some drops when fighting for extra yards before making the catch – Legitimate effort concerns arose after horrendous QB situation junior year – Should block much better with his size, inconsistent with his effort – Some off-season conditioning commitment concerns – Can have trouble going up and fighting for the ball over defenders – Doesn’t explode off the line of scrimmage to get separation.

239. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State- Spent majority of his career playing in a run oriented option system…has a very under developed route tree…excels at deeper routes but often struggles getting proper depth in the intermediate zone…despite size advantage he struggles to get off press coverage…needs to learn how to use his hands and long arms to keep CB’s off of him…doesn’t have elite top end speed…takes a few strides to get up to full speed…not as smooth as you would hope for coming into and out of his breaks…too often he lets the ball get into his body.

240. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma- Small size is a concern – Disrupted by jams and physical corners – Will go down at first contact – Some off-field concerns – ACL injury in November will move him down boards.

241. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech- Hill is not a gifted route runner and this will be his biggest learning curve at the next level. Hill runs sloppy routes and at times would break off the routes he was asked to run. Playing in the “triple-option” offense hurt Hill’s production as he did not see a lot of attempts and I also believe this effected his concentration. Hill battled the “dropsy’s” in 2011 and that was due to a lack of concentration combined with him looking up-field to run before he secured the reception. It will be interesting to see what type of production we would see out of Stephen Hill if given more chances.

242. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas- Adams has fumbled a little bit too much lately – Could add a few more pounds, especially in the upperbody to protect himself from the physical NFL game, but don’t want to risk his speed – Would like to see him refine his route running a little bit more, especially if he is going to be playing in a precision passing system.

243. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

good grief … START THE DRAFT ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

244. By charliewest40 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

GDP….what round do you think we should pull the trigger on a WR ?

245. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Patience Shawn…just 1,488 more minutes…

246. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

wake me up then

247. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

There are some people saying Dre Kirkpatrick might fall to the 2nd round

248. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

i say round 4 is when we pull the trigger on a receiver especially now with the Jerome Simpson signing

249. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Now that we have Simpson – I say wait until the 4th or 5th round and take a chance on Streeter. He’s tall and fast. Give him a year to learn a thing or two, and then see if we can move him into a starting role.

250. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

One last Senate committee tomorrow. If it p-a-s-s-e-s that, then it makes the Senate floor.

251. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

NFL Network just mentioned Kirkpatrick not good in man coverage. Has had 2 shoulder surgeries and 2 hernia surgeries and 1 concussion already. I hope someone else takes him …

252. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Janoris Jenkins > Dre Kirkpatrick

253. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

say Krikpatrick falls to us at 35. Hopefully some team will want to trade up to take him

254. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I would really like it if Harrison Smith is available in the 2nd round.

255. By NovaScotiaVike on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

‘Pull the trigger on a receiver’…..didn’t Plaxico try that?

256. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Now just another 88,800 more seconds…

257. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If we had Chris Cook, Janoris Jenkins, Vontaze Burfict, AND Jared Allen. I would be scared to play against that

258. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

LOLOL

259. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If Kirkpatrick makes it down to us, it would be foolish to pass on him. Safety may be a bigger need, but having a corner like him would go a long ways in covering up the inadequacy we currently have at safety.

260. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

T Johnosn before Kirkpatrick… the only really reason Jonson isnt a 1st rouner is the school he played for being in the SEC and after tht arrest when they won that game.

I personally do feel he is better for us then H smith! Yes I said it :)

T Johnson is a ball hawk and will make the grab everytime. Plays both CB and Safety. Hits very hard is much faster to keep up with coverage.

H smith might be better at blitzs and picking up the run game but is slow and often beat in coverage.

Only reason he is number 2 safety is because there is no competition this year with safety being not so much talent in this draft. In a normal year I doubt he would be considered anything more then a project.

261. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We could still get Iloka or Martin in the third round, which would be an upgrade to our current players.

262. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

LOL … I might be an upgrade at safety

263. By Carl K on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

*******ATTENTION********
    Draft contest – get your picks in!

The object of the game is to correctly guess as many of the Vikings draft picks as possible. you do not need to guess the round correctly to get credit for correctly identifying a player. However, in the event of a tie, the tie breaker will be whoever guesses the most in the correct order.

Here are my picks:
    #3 Matt Kalil
    #35 Harrison Smith
    #66 Jamell Fleming
    #98 Marvin Jones
    #128 James Micheal Johnson
    #134 Senio Kelemente
    #138 Ty Hilton
    #175 DeAngelo Tyson
    #210 DJ Campbell
    #223 Tyler Nielsen

I already have some picks from an earlier blog! thanks Mike B and Sandiamond.

get your picks in before Thursday noon.

264. By Jeffbleedspurple on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings stadium bill was approved by the Senate Jobs and Economic Development Committee on Tuesday by a unanimous voice vote. It now moves on to the Senate Finance committee, one step closer to a floor vote.

265. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Lance – Nothing against Johnson. He looks like he’d be a good add for us if we used him at safety, but the combine has him a blink slower than Smith. Johnson ran 4.61 40, while Smith ran a 4.57. The comparison is so small, that it’s negligible, so you could very well be right that he’s the better prospect.

266. By Carl K on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Just post your picks if you want to play. I will keep track of all the picks and on Monday I will announce the winner. Good Luck.

267. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Hard to say on speed tho.. specially at the combine :( but I know that T Johnson Played qb and wr before being a CB. Did pretty good too but that to me shows that he may have an edge at reading plays…. He also played as a KR and did well.

My thing about him is he seems to fit exactly what we need to shut down those big recievers and ball hawk those qbs in our division fast enough and strong enough to make the hit on TE’s as well.

I was all for Smith but with the lack of run game in our division minus forte. I thik the value of t johnson over Smith.

268. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Carl K – I had my picks laid out all nice and neat a week ago, but now I need to change them, not 100% certain how I want to address it yert – can I change my mind before the draft if I post now?

269. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

#3 Matt Kalil
    #35 Janoris Jenkins
    #66 Trumaine Johnson
    #98 Vontaze Burfict

=Best Vikings Draft Class

270. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

can we predict trades?

271. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Thats not my prediction thats just my favorite scenario

272. By Carl K on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

parody- You can submit tomorrow… I will do another reminder on the next blog.
    Thanks.

273. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

id love to see johnson at 66 but….

274. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Carl K- I will post my picks Thursday morning

275. By rye on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Great signing on the Jerome Simpson. Reminds me of what the Vikings did for Chris Carter. Hopefully Jerome will take his 2nd chance and make the most of it like Carter did. The kid has ALOT of upside. Good signing!

276. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

277. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

tell me T johnson isnt the defensive version of webb? lol

278. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Well, here’s my early prediction:
    #3 Matt Kalil
    #35 Trunaine Johnson (Lance pushed me into it)
    #66 Mychal Kendricks
    #98 Chase Minnifield
    #128 Tommy Streeter
    #134 Emmanuel Acho
    #138 Derek Wolfe
    #175 Nate Potter
    #210 Blair Walsh
    #223 Sean Richardson

279. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Well if it helps Parody… Vikings met with Johnson… maybe the pick at 2 will help you win the contest :P

280. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I think Johnson is overrated. Also, why are so many people high on Streeter now? The guy is Troy Williamson 2.0. Look at his combine position drill tape, he cannot catch.

281. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

KoN – That may be, but I’m hoping that some good coaching can turn him around, and I think that a 4th-round compensatory pick is worth the risk while we have 2 first rounders and a 2nd rounder on the team at the position for the upcomming year.

282. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

How is Johnson over rated? have you seen the clips of him playing.. him being ranked 9th CB because of an off field issue and being BSKY confrence he is under rated in my opinion. Although a lot of teams have met with him :(

283. By Parody on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

BTW – Isn’t the “2.0” label generally used to define the most recent upgrade? So maybe, like Williamson, he can run and jump, but unlike Williamson, he can also catch!

The 2.0 upgrade sounds nice ;)

284. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Including the packers if i remember right :( I do not wanna see him a packer! some mocks got pack taking johnsonin 2nd round

285. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If we pick him then I’ll have the same hopes Parody, I just think that it would be best to pursue someone else.

286. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I will most likely be easy to beat…I will be predicting a trade…Starting with the 3rd overall pick…So expect some crazy draft selections from here…

I will be listing my first ten players 1-10…No idea where in the first round I believe the Vikings will start drafting…Or how many times Spielman will jump around in the draft…Just think it will be a good amount…

My draft board may look pretty wild though…

287. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Lance, you can’t judge someone from just a few clips. Troy Williamson had some really good clips. I’m not saying that he won’t be good, I just believe that there are other CBs in the draft available at #35 and later that will be better than him. However, that is just my personal opinion.

288. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I am not judging only on clips. I am jusdging a guy who prooved himself since a freshman in college. Productive and good since day 1! 4 years of havinh good seasons with the grizzlies

289. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Streeter is going in a lot of 7 round mock drafts about in the 6th round area…

The guy can’t catch…I bet he doesn’t even get drafted…

Right along with V Burfict…

290. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Also, he isnt just a CB.at 205 and 6foot2 he plays safety as well. In my opinion a better pick for us the H Smith

291. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

#175 – LB Audie Cole
    #210 – WR Dale Moss
    #223 – K Blair Walsh

292. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

OOPs … Carl K … scroll up for my draft guesses

293. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

again.. if he played CB for us isnt a loss at all paired with cook? total shut down.

294. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The way I see it Lance, while it is nice to have a guy who can play multiple positions, I think that there will be better pure cornerbacks and better pure safties available for us. Personally I am a fan of Smith for S and Minnifield for CB.

295. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The problem I have with smith is his coverage issues… good at the defending againt the run but the passing game he is beat! Lets face it… if the draft class for safety was better he wouldnt even be the number 2 safety on the board. And minnfield isnt as good at CB as Johnson in my opinion and no way hits hard enough tor those big recievers and TEs like johnson would give us.

296. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Lance its a little odd you are trying to sell Johnson over Harrison Smith … When every “expert” has said since day 1 draft talk is there are 2 safeties in this class and then a major drop off …. hmm Harrison Smith has been the #2 safety all along. NO WAY IM BITING

297. By vman on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

WOW, the haters are sure crying on the Tribune site. I can’t believe you have so many people up there willing to let the Vikes leave town. This site is a nice change of atmosphere. Keep up the fight!! Born and Raised in Wisconsin, but a life long Viking Fan!! We have are share of dumb politicians over here on both sides of the isle, but don’t let yours lose your NFL Franchise! …oh, BTW Kalil-1st Ponder and AP will appreciate it. See you all at a home game, like every year…SKOL !!

298. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Experts have also written that Smith was a project and not a sure starter a month ago! because of issues in coverage. He risen in the draft because of need at safety. Barron is a well balanced safety. He deserves to be number 1. But there is also a large gap between him and smith as well.

299. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

and speaking of experts! these guys have Harrison Smith coming off the board at 39. Johnson at 40th. unfortunatly for us if experts are right then we passed on both on our 2nd

300. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

301. By TheValentine84 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Anybody see this?

I think this helps tremendously with our chances of making a trade! If we trade with the rams who are interested in Richardson we still could have a shot at Kalil! This is the best information we could hope for going into Thursday night.

302. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

these experts have Johnson ranked higher as a prosect.

303. By Shawn on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

well Lance you are entitled to an opinion …. at least I think its still legal to have an opinion

304. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Johnson absolutely will NOT eb a better safety than Smith, not as a rookie nor at any point throughout his career (should he be converted to safety). Also, Minnifield was ranked as a high second round prospect until his unfortunately-timed injury. It kept him from participating in the combine nnd has hindered him during Spring workouts, causing his stock to drop. However, he is projected to be completely ready before the first game of the season. As a high-mid 4th round prospect now I will contend that whatever team picks him will end up with one of the biggest steals of the draft.

305. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Alright, maybe the “absolutely will NOT” was kind of harsh, but I honestly believe it is foolish to rank him better at safety than Smith.

306. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings trade with the Fish and at # 8 we take Kalil…This is how it will work,the Dolphins trade up for Tannenhill,Browns take Richardson,Bucs take Claiborne,Rams take Blackmon,Jags take Floyd or Cox and the Vikes take Kalil…We also receive Miami’s 2 rd.pick #42, and a 3rd and a 2nd next year.
    If they don’t trade and draft at # 3 the Vikings will select Morris Claiborne.
    what they do next is anyones guess because we don’t know who will be available.

307. By Mike Redman on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

What I love about reading this blog for these months leading up to the draft is watching so many people guess at who we should take through multiple rounds of the draft. It’s going to be even more fun to read the responses of many of you regulars when you freak out because we didn’t get any of the players that you wanted or think we should take.

What’s probably going to happen is that the Vikings are going to trade out into the 5-10 spot take someone that nobody saw coming and in the second round trade up to get someone that nobody saw coming and everyone on here will be freaking out about how bad the Vikings are at drafting. I can’t wait.

308. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

“Freak Out” great song of the 70’s…

309. By TheValentine84 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@Tdurf
    I don’t see Miami taking the bait for Tannehill, they know the Browns don’t want him because they have their eyes on T-Rich, so staying put will still net them Tannehill. The only logical trade at this point is with St. Louis for T-Rich. In that scenario, we would get their #6 pick (valued at 1,600) and their #33 pick (valued at 580) for our #3 pick (valued at 2,200) for a total trade value of 2180/2200. This trade works for both parties and would instantly help our team upgrade the talent level.

310. By TheValentine84 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The Rams also have two 2nd round draft picks, making it THAT more likely for them to consider a trade. I’m liking what i’m seeing boys!

311. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@purplhaze and all you who thought the Rams wanted Kalil…theres your proof, about the Rams wanting Richardson,on the bleacher report!…but who said it first…thats right your good friend tdurf.

312. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

More on Minnifield: His father, Frank, was a pro bowl CB four consecutive years with the Browns and was named to the 1980s all decade team. Plus there’s this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1156824-chase-minnifield-6-traits-that-make-nfl-draft-prospect-an-ideal-pro#/articles/1156824-chase-minnifield-6-traits-that-make-nfl-draft-prospect-an-ideal-pro

313. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@ TheValentine…i agree with you about The Rams wanting Richardson…I believe we will trade down with the team who has the best offer…don’t let the draft niks fool you about the need for Tannenhill..Look where Ponder and Locker went last year

314. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Lets say we do trade for those Rams 2nd rounders…why not package them to move up into the end of the 1st to secure another need.

315. By TheValentine84 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Why? When we could address two specific needs with picks 33 and 35? With those we could grab SS Smith and WR Jeffery/Randle or SS Smith and a CB like Johnson, Boykin or Robinson? Trading two picks of need for one pick of need seems illogical to me.

316. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

For Carl K
    7 Round Mock – Reminds me of NFL Player below

3. Mo Claiborne – LSU – CB – Deion Sanders
    35. Mike Adams – Ohio St – LT – Ryan Clady
    66. Tru Johnson – Montana – S – Nick Collins/Adrian Wilson
    98. Reuben Randle – LSU – WR – Percy Harvin
    128. Travis Lewis – Oklahoma – LB – IDK
    134. Marcus Forston – Da U – DT – Warren Sapp
    138. Vontaze Burfict – Zona St – LB – IDK
    175. Tyrone Crawford – Boise St – DE – IDK
    210. Ron Brooks – LSU – CB
    223. Ryan Miller – Colorado – LG

317. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Depends on the player available…Patriots first selection is at 25 and if Hill or Hightower is still there we take one of the two…why reach at 35 for Smith who by my account is the 47th bpa?
    The Iloka kid out of Boise can play safety as well as Smith but he wouldn’t be a reach in the third

318. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@ Cody C Randle in the 4th??? he might go in the first and no later then the second..wishful thinking though.

319. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

tdurfewhateverurnameis – – Its called the Bowers drop and its how i c it happenin and as for mentioned it dont matter but i am a good predictor i got 98.8 % on March Madness Brackets for Espn? jus sayin man

320. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

cool man…by the way its 88 like the # Alan Page wore…he’s also a judge.

321. By Geiber on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I got $250 that says if we stay at #3 overall we will not draft Kalil. We will more than likely draft Blackmon (even though i’d prefer Floyd) but I have the feeling Spielman is going to pull the trigger on Blackmon. But if we trade back to let’s say 8 and Claiborne is there we’ll take him. If not Kalil then. But if we stay at #3 overall I gurantee we will not take Kalil. Which is fine with me just make sure we get some good o-line talent in the later rounds.

322. By Mike B. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Please PIck Matt Kalil #3 on the NFL draft. Don’t mess this up.

323. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think it is possible to get a 98.8%. For that to happen you would need to incorrectly guess only one out of 83.3333333 games. I’m pretty sure that was not the number of games in the NCAA tournament.

324. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

thanks Mike B…lol

325. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

KON – It was on Espn and it wasnt based out of a certain amount to get wrong it was % right vs the #1 bracket i had 8 wrong and correcly got the Final 4.

Tdurf88 – Do u have season tickets? and if so how long have you had them???

326. By Mike B. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Tdurf88 your welcome didn’t want to disappoint

327. By tdurfeightyeight on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I did when i lived in Minnesota…i live in So Cal these dayz.

328. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

My picks and reasons. This is my list Carl K

1st Rd – Matt Kalil LT/USC
    Height/weight 6-7/306 Might be the best LT available in he draft in years.
    Will be a pro bowl player at his position for years. Will be a key role in
    the Vikings offense given he stays healthy for 10+ Years. Vikings largest
    need is at LT. No brainer Matt Kalil will be a Viking at the 3rd overall
    pick in the 1st rd.

2nd Rd – Trumaine Johnson CB/S/Montana
    Height/weight 6-2/204 Ranked 9 because of Height
    and weight, The fact he was in BSKY conference and offield Issues. His skills
    at pass defence and maybe the hardest hitting DB has made him perfect fit at
    Safety. Since H Smith will not make it past the pats in the first. He will be
    our best option to sure help our secondary. 4 very successful years at CB will
    make him a starter in either position this year.

3rd RD Brandon Taylor, SS, LSU
    Three-year starter at strong safety, Voted one of five permanent team captains
    for LSU’s SEC Championship and national runner-up team in 2011 Played in 49
    games with 33 starts during his career with the Tigers Capped career with 160
    tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 15 pass breakups and four interceptions.
    He will help sure up depth and lack of Safety. Little reach here… projected
    to go mid 3rd but may take him here incase Tru becomes a better CB then Safety.

4th Rd – Juron Criner WR/Arizona
    Height/weight 6-4/215 Criner played well as a frshman, even starting three
    games, but really put his name on the program in the next season turning in
    nine of his 45 catches for 582 yards into scores. As impressive as that
    total was, Criner picked up his play in 2011, enjoying one of the best
    seasons ever by a Wildcat receiver. Criner earned First Team All P@c-10
    with 82 catches for 1,233 yards and 11 touchdowns. We need a tall
    fast reciever. At the mid of 3rd round he is a steal. He will be able to
    compete for a starting role on our horrible WR core and be an impact player
    we are lookng for in the 3rd round.

4th Rd – Brandon Brooks OG/Miami (OH)
    Height/weight 6-5/353 The vikings will look to add competition for our OL.
    He could be a starter this year. He will provide depth and positioned to go
    in the mid 3rd round. He may fall I feel due to a lot of talent and lack of
    need of OG. He will be a 4th rd pick at a 3rd grade. Maybe now we can let go
    of Charlie Johnson. Maybe trade Charlie to philly.
    He missed most of the first half of the 2010 season as a junior, but started
    at both left tackle and left guard down the stretch, earning Second Team All
    MAC honors. Brooks started every game in 2011 as a senior (12 starts)
    earning Second Team All-MAC honors for the third consecutive season.

4th Rd – Jerry Franklin ILB/Arkansas
    Height/Weight Has a wide trunk and thickly-built frame with good enough length
    (33 1/4-inch arms). Strong and stout against the run, filling lanes with power
    and an attacking mentality. Big, aggressive hitter who can lay the wood.
    Has good awareness to quickly locate the ball, keeping his eyes up and on point.
    Has good balance and short-area burst to stay on his feet through contact. An
    opportunistic defender, tallying five interceptions and four fumble recoveries
    with two defensive TDs. Started 50 games the past four seasons with 376 career
    tackles. Rated higher then burfict but may slip past 4 and into 5th because of
    talent at LB in FA still available. At the bottom of the 4th RD in our comp pic
    this guy maybe enough to start for us and fill our MLB position.

5th Rd – Dajohn Harris DT/Southern Cal.
    Height/weight 6-3/306 He earned a starting role in 2010 as a junior and
    statistically had his best season, recording 35 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss,
    3.5 sacks, one pass breakup, one forced fumble and one interception. Harris
    was part of a heavy line rotation in 2011 as a senior, but still started 10
    games at defensive tackle, finishing with 22 tackles, 7.0 tackles for loss,
    1.5 sacks, and six pass breakups. For a big man he has a quick bust and tons
    of strength making him in a few year my new Pat Williams.

6th Rd – Blair Walsh K/Georgia
    Best kicker listed in this draft. Longwell will be posibly retiring after this
    season. Blair is ranked to go around the 6-7th. With how many kickers this
    year got franchised tagged, I think we need to get our future kicker solved
    in the draft year with one year behind longwell. Having 2 7ths makes me feel
    about taking him at top of 6th.

7th Rd – Tysyn Hartman FS/Kansas State
    Potential project mostly and will compete for special team role right away.
    while adding depth to our sticky safety position.

7th Rd – Chris Owusu WR/Stanford
    This guy could be huge oneday… this point I am only taking a guess. Adds depth
    and potential could be a good wr oneday.

329. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Tdurf … Start crowing when the trade is done. Then it will have some validity. And, there have been rumors for the past week about the Rams likely looking for a RB renewal. That news isn’t exactly “hot off the press”.

330. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Tdurf – How many years did you have em

331. By PurplHaze on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

What makes people so sure that, if we trade down with the Rams, the Browns don’t take Kalil off the board? There’s no guarantee he’ll be there at #6.

332. By Cody C on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Dont need Kalil Big PurpHaze

333. By Lance on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If that happens dolphins may cry… I can see a surprise and tannehil may be 4th overall!

334. By TheValentine84 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@Tdurf,
    I live in Long Beach, where you at?

335. By Titus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Two days till draft. I can hardly believe it is here already. In fact, 2012 is almost half over. What is going on people?

336. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

7 ‘yes’ votes for Vikings stadium on Minneapolis City Council

337. By TheValentine84 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@ purpl
    I think people are assuming that since the Browns have Joe Thomas they wont use a high 1st round pick on another tackle who would only be a RT on their team and instead probably get blackmon if we traded with the Rams who got T-Rich. That scenario has a high probability of still yielding Kalil at 6

338. By john hughes on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

How long will Ponder last if sacked 50 times per season?

339. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Looking at the Senate schedule for tomorrow, the Finance committee is debating the stadium bill at 9 a.m.

340. By Mike B. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Wow these votes are so close. I would think we would get a better margin than this.

341. By vikesfan12 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

All i have to say is it would be pretty dam hard for Mr.Speilman to f@#k-up this years draft!! It should be a win win type of deal this year! I still would like to see the first three rounds to go alittle something like this though.
    1st Kalil
    2nd Smith
    3rd Quick
    I have a gut feeling about Quick!

342. By Woodboat on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I read a quote from Frazier just now stating that you really want a game changer with that 3rd pick and that he doesn’t know if an OT is a game changer. Hey Les… my opinion of your intelligence is degrading rapidly. So an OT might not be a game changer… how about a high flying DE? Can a pressure generating sack machine coming from the QBs blind side change a game? Yes? Then I’d have to think that having a guy that can STOP that DE from generating that pressure ALSO changes the game.

I sincerely hope that the stadium deals stalemates and the Wilfs sell the team. Then maybe we will get owners that know who to hire to run this squad. I don’t think Frazier has what it takes… we are a 3-13 team for a reason.

Not a game changer… our COACH isn’t a game changer.

343. By TheValentine84 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Mel Kipers recent draft board has Quick as his #4 WR though… he is rising and could go in the 2nd round.

344. By Titus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Mike B– it is all a power play. Those that oppose the stadium will not capitulate so easily or they look like they caved in and waffled from their position. They also want to believe their constituency is behind them– and if they are, then it is even harder to change their vote. Just because Goodell and Rooney flew in, does not mean anything is guaranteed or even changed.

345. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Relax Woodboat, it’s a smokescreen, you can’t believe anything you hear a team say this close to the draft.

346. By hognuts on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I just want to enjoy the draft knowing the future of the Vikings is in Minnesota. Is that too much to ask for?!?!

347. By Mike B. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Hognuts I feel for you but this will probably not sort out until 30April

348. By Titus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

KoN — exactly what I was thinking. By the way, I saw you trying to impersonate me. Nice try.

349. By vikesfan12 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I would like to see Mr.Speilman trade down and grab some extra 2nd 3rd round picks,but still stay in the top ten in the first round. Our team has alot of holes to fill!!

350. By KoN on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I only did it the one time a little while ago Titus, if it was on this blog or a more recent one then it wasn’t me.

351. By vikesfan12 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

hognuts- Looks alot better today than last week! Our calls to the “Nasty Nine” must of worked!! I know im on the no fly list now!! LOL!

352. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Minneapolis City Council endorses downtown stadium on 7-6 vote
    By Tad Vezner
    Posted: 04/24/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    April 25, 2012 4:11 AM GMTUpdated: 04/24/2012 11:11:08 PM CDT

353. By vikesfan12 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Nothin like the Purple Rollercoaster!! Good night gentleman!

354. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings stadium: Key difference in bills would have to be worked out
    By Doug Belden
    Posted: 04/24/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    April 25, 2012 4:10 AM GMTUpdated: 04/24/2012 11:10:22 PM CDT

355. By Titus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

KoN– it’s all good– I know you did not try to degrade my stock. Some impostors are just plain rude– easier to spot though. Well, we have a day and a half before the moment of truth. I hope Spielman does the right thing and take Kalil.

356. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Stadium bill now just one hurdle from Senate floor
    By Doug Belden
    Posted: 04/24/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    April 25, 2012 4:5 AM GMTUpdated: 04/24/2012 11:05:34 PM CDT

The Minnesota Vikings stadium bill got a strong vote of confidence in a state Senate committee and has one more to clear before reaching the floor.

357. By Titus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I think we need to hit the senate floor with a bunch of horns and every time an opponent decries the stadium bill, we drown them out with a chorus of —

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

358. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Chart: Vikings’ draft needs by position

Updated: April 24, 2012 – 10:22 PM

As the Vikings head into a 2012 draft that will be critical to shaping the team’s future, the biggest needs have been identified and discussed for months.

359. By Mike B. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@Titus yeah some people don’t like the Or Else tends to make them more stubborn and not look at the real picture.

360. By vikesfan12 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

DRS- Do you think they will get it done?

361. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

While waving our vikings swords in the air.

362. By VegasVike on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Sign the thug why not? Take the SOLID choice in Kalil and then get a CB/thug to go with Cook in round two. Who knows, maybe solid players with no horror stories like Allen can straighten them out lol

363. By Mike B. on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

What’s the specs on this Simpson guy I read that he’s maybe a #4 WR

364. By Titus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I think the stadium will pass– but it will be a narrow margin and take a lot of behind the scenes negotiating. It is a win win for everyone, and if the stadium supporters can articulate well and be diplomatic but consistent with the urgency and pressure, it will get done.

365. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

vikesfan12, I do not know if they will or will not get it done, the MN track record is not that good when it comes to getting it done. I will feel safe only when they start the construction of the new stadium.

366. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Charley Walters: Fans of Alabama’s Trent Richardson have their eyes on Vikings’ No. 3 draft pick
    Pioneer Press
    twincities.com
    Posted: 04/24/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    April 25, 2012 3:9 AM GMTUpdated: 04/24/2012 10:09:09 PM CDT

Rick Spielman acknowledged Tuesday, April 24, that in the past day or so he has had enough offers for a “potential” trade for Thursday’s NFL draft.

The Vikings’ first-year general manager, who holds the No. 3 overall pick, didn’t reveal teams. But it’s clear that Tampa Bay, which has the No. 5 pick, feels it can contend this season if it can get running back Trent Richardson of Alabama. Richardson is projected as the third- or fourth-best player available in the draft.

Besides a swap of first-round picks, the Vikings also might be able to get the Bucs’ second-round pick, maybe even more. And that still would leave Minnesota with the chance to take offensive left tackle Matt Kalil of Southern California or cornerback Morris Claiborne of Louisiana State.

367. By vikesfan12 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

CB LT WR SS in the first three rounds would be a smart road to take

368. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Executives mean business on Vikings stadium
    Article by: LORI STURDEVANT , Star Tribune Updated: April 24, 2012 – 8:31 PM

369. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Had to do a double take there, that article has some names of Legislatures who are not for the stadium.

370. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings stadium momentum leaves critics disarmed
    PUBLISHED 5 hours and 54 minutes ago
    LAST UPDATED 2 hours and 50 minutes ago

It will take 68 votes in the House and 34 in the Senate to pass a Vikings bill. But the plan probably needs at least a few more than the bare minimum so no one could be cast as the deciding vote come campaign season.

Critics have also questioned the process that’s moved the bills closer to floor votes. Backers have tried to avoid hostile committees, and the project is getting more expensive. A provision exempting stadium construction supplies and equipment from sales taxes was removed from the bill, partly to sidestep extra scrutiny from the House and Senate tax committees, which both have strong anti-stadium forces. That raised the stadium’s price tag rises by $22 million, according to the state’s chief finance agency.

Between the circuitous route and unrecorded voice votes even in sympathetic committees, stadium critic Rep. Joyce Peppin questioned what would happen when the bill actually does get to the House and Senate floors.

“The fact that it can’t seem to get through any committee on a roll call vote, can’t make it through if people are going to be put on record, I think is pretty telling,” said Peppin, a Republican from Rogers. “Once you get to the House floor, everybody has to go on record.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-24/vikings-stadium-momentum-leaves-critics-disarmed#ixzz1t1eRDRhp

371. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We shall see, have a good night everyone.

372. By DRS on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

It is 23:12 NM time have to go to bed, here is to hope that the Vikings will get the stadium soon.

373. By vikesfan12 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Good night

374. By Tim on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Man i hope and prey the Vikings get the stadium deal done if the Vikings are forced to leave because of greedy F##king politicians and the rest of the A$$h*les who messed it up for Minnesota Vikings fans i would never be a fan of any sport franchise in MN. again. the Lakers the N.stars almost the Twins man we Minnesotans lost the F##king North Stars and Minnesota is Hockey state USA. I couldn’t deal with us losing our beloved Vikings sure not everybody in MN. is a Vikings fan but us who are that would really be a wound that would never heal.

375. By PurplHaze on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Rick Spielman … DONT MESS THIS UP! THE VIKINGS NEED MATT KALIL @ #3 OVERALL! AN OT DOESNT PUT POINTS ON THE BOARD, BUT IT’S HARD TO SCORE WITHOUT THE O-LINE. THATS WHERE IT ALL STARTS! BE SMART, RICK!!!

376. By Rocksalt on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

everyone keep your fingers crossed

377. By Tim on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

We need Matt Kalil the Vikings weakest point is the LT position the Vikings need to pick Kalil if they don’t there gonna regret it later Matt Kalil is probably the best Tackle to enter the draft in years we have to feel that hole get Kalil.

378. By geiber on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

If we stay at #3 they might as well already get making the Vikings Blackmo jerseys. Think about it Blackmon is a playmaker maker and will bring life to our junk recieving core. (Except for Harvin) But it is easier to replace an o-line than it is to find a big playmaking reciever. I think that the Vikings can easily get by, by taking Blackmon first and drafting some o-line men in the later rounds.

379. By hognuts on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Trading with Browns at 4.

380. By hognuts on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply