Hartman: Wilfs Confident In Vikings Offseason Plan

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 9, 2012 – 7:08 am

Whether pursuing a stadium solution to keep the team in Minnesota for generations or acquiring players in an attempt to field a winning team, the Wilf ownership group has spared no expense since taking over the club in 2005. They’ve been aggressive-but-responsible stewards of the franchise, and they remain popular among the fan base because of that.

What’s not necessarily been popular among the fan base, though, is the Vikings offseason approach. Coming off a 3-13 season, fans want to see instant improvement via the acquisition of big-name free agents that demand big-money contracts. Under the direction of GM Rick Spielman, however, the Vikings have taken a more calculated and long-term approach to rebuilding the team, choosing to build the foundation of the team through the draft while supplementing the roster via free agency.

And it’s a strategy the Wilfs endorse.

“We’re building through the draft and building in free agency in spots where it’s needed,” Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf told the Star Tribune’s Sid Hartman. “But we want to do it the right way, and I think we’re on that process. We’re going to get ten draft picks coming up in a few weeks, and we’re going to get a lot better through that.”

The Vikings had 10 draft choices last year, and nine of those selections remain a part of the team. A similar success rate this year, including hits early in the draft with 6 selections in the first 4 rounds, will go a long way toward improving the roster.

While Spielman’s approach is to lean on the draft as the main mechanism for acquiring talented players, Wilf told Hartman that the team is ready to write the check if the right free agent comes along.

“We’re looking every day to get better, whatever opportunity will present itself,” Wilf said. “We’re not going to rule out anything, but we’ve got a process we’re going through and we’re going to do things in a way that’s thought out with a plan, strategically, so we can be successful in the long term. If our general manager and our coach feel that a player is going to help us win, we will provide the resources to help us win, but we’re going to do it the right way.”

Tags: ,

127 Responses to “Hartman: Wilfs Confident In Vikings Offseason Plan”

1. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

17 days until the draft….

And with the 3rd pick in the 2012 draft the Minnesota Vikings pick….?

2. By 61Vikings on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

One of 2 things will happen!! The obvious choice would be to draft Matt Kalil with the 3rd pick, but reading this blog about building through the draft, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Vikes traded this pick to any of the teams below them, but not going beyond the Dolphins!! Even to that point, I think the Vikes would still have a chance to draft Kalil, with the players that are available for each of those teams needs, but you would be taken a heck of a chance by doing so!! If it is the Fins’ then we need to get their 1st pick next year and their second this year, with a player thrown in, or I wouldn’t do it!!!

3. By Mike B. on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Only 2 of those 9 Draftees had a big impact on last season. The others were regulated to back ups and in positions where the team wasn’t playing well. FA this year has gathered some very unremarkable players and 2 that had injuryies last year. This doesn’t and shouldn’t sit well with fans. We are stuck with Spielman and his plan, but I have doubts about the teams ability to field a competitive team this year. Especially with the speculation about trading out from the #3 spot in the draft. Of course the Wilfs will say they have confidence in the plan. It’s the only plan they have. I would say many would not have confidence since the Wilfs actively looked to get Parcells here. Wait and see mode is still very active.

4. By Mike B. on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@61Vikings we already have 10 picks that should be plenty to get a good amount of young talent on the team. We really need to balance this rookie squad with good Vets.

5. By jim p on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Mike b also alot of my friends share the same opinion as i do spielman has never done anything hes proved it ,but yet owners expect us to show up and pay the bills i have been a viking fan for many years but my 10 couple trips to see the vikings play are over until they sign players and stop saying wait for the future,how long do we have to listen to that one go ahead gm tarde our no three pick for nothing,P.S. THE PACKER FANS THINK YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!

6. By kevinwi on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

ok…I’ll say this; 9/10 picks stuck last year because they had to fill gaping holes with mediocrity. There was one starter from those 10 picks. Ponder…and he didn’t start until week 7. Now some may eventually develop into playmakers, but that remains to be seen (Rudolph, Ballard, Fusco). Vikings want to improve through the draft, and that’s fine, but they need to find players that can make an impact NOW!.
    Some of the players did end up starting due to necessity of injury (Raymond, Burton, Sherles) but they looked lost in coverage most times with an occasional flash of playmaking.
    Top 3 picks this year MUST be starters for this team to go anywhere anytime soon!
    LT, WR & CB. That’s how I see it anyway.

7. By DesertViking on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

If the Sanchez rumors are true, for the love of Tim Tebow, don’t do it!!!!

8. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

2011 Draft

Ponder- Impact
    Kyle Rudolph- Impact
    Ballard- No impact
    Brandon Burton- No impact
    Demarcus Love- No impact( Didnt play any games)
    Mistral Raymond- Pretty much no impact
    Brandon Fusco- Pretty much no impact
    Ross Homan- No impact( Released)
    D’aundre Reed- No impact( Never played)
    Stephen Burton- No impact

So like others stated, only 2/10 players we drafted made some sort of an impact.

9. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Bleacherreport has released the Top 64 Outside Linebackers from last year.

Kinda surprised that Erin Henderson was ranked higher than Greenway…

10. By Chase K on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@kevinwi There was definitely two starters from last year. Ponder and Rudolph. Rudolph has sky-high potential right now, and I know I am looking forward to the things that he will be able to do for our offense this year. Rudolph was an absolute beast last year and should be even better this year.

11. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

In my opinion, if we miss out on Kalil, we’ll have torpedo’d our entire draft. GET KALIL AT #3 OVERALL!!!

12. By pudster on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Don’t for get several of those games we lost last year, were blowing leads that the offence we had got. And the lack of our ability to deffend against the pass is what cost us those leads.

13. By Mike B. on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

That was the first 3 games and even Cook wasn’t able to cover anyone those first 3 games. I am wondering how rusty he will be this year. Although they will have all the OTAs this year. They should be more ready.

14. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I dont get it, I just dont get it. “Cook wasnt able to cover anybody the first 3 game”? Mike B, whaaaaaaaaat?????

Vincent Jackson- 2 catches
    Mike Williams- Zero catches
    Calvin Johnson- 3 catches( 2 were in zone)

The amount of disrespect Cook gets on this blog is amazing. He was playing like an all-pro before the incident.

15. By AMB on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Can anyone name a team that has taken its time rebuilding and had a competitive team throughout the process?

16. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

PurplHaze…I agree…The success of the Vikings entire draft depends on getting things off to an excellent start…And drafting a key blue chip caliber player like OT Kalil to replace a horrible LT like Charlie Johnson…Is the most positive start that could happen for the Vikings in this draft…

C Johnson was the worst ranked LT if football last season…Kalil would be coming in as an elite LT looking to replace that position for the next 10+ years…

I just can’t see the Vikings getting off to a better start than that…Replacing one of the worst players at a position in the NFL in Johnson…And bringing in the highest ranked rookie in the draft in Kalil to replace that player…

It’s a “win~win scenario”….Why would Spielman mess with that ??…

17. By jman on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Spencer…are you kidding me, so all these rookies are supposed to come in and have an immediate impact despite vets that hold starting positions. All these players you said have no impact were in there grooming phase and should be able to seriously impact the team this year. Ponder and Rudolph will also continue to improve. Think of what you are saying, take out Percy so that burton can play–or take out Hutch so love can play…don’t be ridiculous.

18. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Agreed, OT. I’m optimistic that Spielman and Co. see how important that pick is, and won’t trade it away.

4/26 can’t come soon enough. All this talk about trading away that 3rd pick makes me nervous!

19. By Mike B. on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

The entire secondary was ineffective the second half of games. They had the long ball covered but most of the yardage was gotten in the soft 7 to 15 yard range. It wasn’t only Cook but the entire secondary that couldn’t cover in those first 3 games. Blowing big leads in the second half. Cook was able to cover the long pass, but mediocre inside. Tackling was terrible.

20. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Jman- I never said I expected the rookies to make an immediate impact…..

I just listed the 2011 draft class and gave my opinion of the players who I felt made an impact.

21. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree Mike, Cook is a terrible tackler. But at the end of the day hes not paid to tackle..

22. By Kyle on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

i say that maybe just maybe we could trade our first pick and like antoine winfield to some team behind us all the way up to the dolphin at 8. and get their first round pick (Kahlil) and then with the second round picks maybe a reciever and (Harrison Smith)?????

23. By Kyle on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I mean get their first round and their second round?

24. By Thevikes07 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Please stop talking.. The vikings will be trading to Miami dolphins and If that happens, the vikes will select Michael floyd! That’s simple!

25. By Mike B. on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@Thevikes07 We don’t need Michael Floyd as much as we need Matt Kalil.

26. By mad1 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

we a good SS they lost the frist 3 games for us for gettin how to play cover 2..

27. By mad1 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

and a good LT/wr..

28. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Our first three picks will likely be …

1st Round = OT
    2nd Round = WR
    3rd Round = DB (CB or SS)

… at least that’s my feeling. Feel free to speculate. And, I suppose 2nd and 3rd round choices could be swapped around depending who’s on the board. Man, hurry up 4/26!!! =)

29. By frankenpurple on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

imo, the draft is a bust if the Vikes don’t get Kahlil. I’d like to see a trade with the Dolphins, but I have a little different take. Vikes keep the 3rd pick and trade for the #8 pick. Vikes send Jared Allen and Joe Webb to the Dolphins for the #8 and a 3rd. Dolphins get their quarterback and one of the best DEs in the game. This gives Griffin the chance to start (he looks ready). Also, it keeps the Vikes out of a mini Sanchez/Tebow scenario. Most second year quarterbacks struggle and I don’t think Ponder will change that a lot, especially with limited downfield targets. Any thoughts? (other than I’m crazy?)

30. By iaVIKE on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Fpurple – Ha I know you asked for thoughts other than you’re crazy, but im gunna agree with that one. Let’s just hand the guy who almost broke the NFL single season sack record last year, a leader on this team, and arguably the face of our franchise to the dolphins and most likely miss out on Kalil? Not a chance dude

31. By KoN on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Although I still don’t agree with the plan, I feel I need to clear something up. iaVIKE, he said that we would keep the 3rd pick and get the 8th, so we wouldn’t necessarily miss out on Kalil.

32. By iaVIKE on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Yah i just noticed that as well, My bad FP

33. By Shawn on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Spencer … Defensive players are not “paid to tackle” ? LOL what sport do you watch ?

ALL defenders are paid to tackle … the only great defender I know that couldnt tackle was Deion Sanders. Chris Cook is no Deion Sanders.

34. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B., and GrandDaddy,

I’m here to balance out the guys who suggest only picking OLs in the 5th round or later.

It cannot be over emphasized that it takes a smart, talented individual to excell on the Offensive Line in the NFL.

Billy Belichick’s remark was for reporters ears, and stupid GM ears only. Lots, and lots of NFL teams have selected OLs and went on to play in the SB the next year.

Did Spielman buy into Belichick’s remarks? I think he is still buying into that philosophy that you can pick an OL in the later rounds and develop them. Hey, that is true of ANY position!!!

35. By frankenpurple on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

So, does that mean you might consider the trade? J. Allen most likely won’t make it through the rebuild and it would help both teams now.

36. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

“It’s all about the quarterback.”

Each team has 53 players.
    Each team has about 20 coaches.
    Each team has about 10 trainers/equipment people
    Then when you add cheerleaders, front office, back office, and ticket takers, it adds up to well over 200 people per team.

So you are telling me that the Quarterback is so important that he wipes out the importance of the rest of the organization combined?

The media has a conspiracy to get people interested in thier broadcasts. They feel the need to sell the quarterback matchups. Hey, I can remember Brady vs. Manning!

Those other people ARE important inspite of what ESPN, Fox, NFL Access, The Hurd, Mike and Mike in the Morning, etc. would have you believe.

And it brainwashes people.

37. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@Lance,

Your draft mock at the end of the Jeffery article was/is fantastic! Mail it in to Spielman soon!!!

I would prefer an all-conference selection for the third round pick at Guard, Center, or Tackle. But that’s nit-picking.

If Spielman gets canned after this season, or sooner, elect Lance as General Manager!!!

LANCE AS GENERAL MANAGER, NEXT YEAR IF SPIELMAN DOESN’T GET IT DONE.

Remember there is always that Southwest State Univ. A.D. job for Rick if he fails!!!

38. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Mike B.,

You had a good point about the QBs, “why sell the farm when there will be good ones available next year.”

All we have to do is look back to when Montana, S. Young, Elway, Kelly, Esiason, etc. were drafted. There are lots of those “legends” drafted every year.

Now maybe RG3 will be the best of all times. But it’s just as likely that he will be a bust.

I also think you are right about Kalil, if he is that good, get him. You do need to have some superstars on your team.

39. By Wayneviking2002 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

All this talk about building through the draft has me confused. Do the vikings not have draft picks every year. What do we do with these picks? How can a team draft so poorly year after year? I do not own the team but I think you need to address some of the team needs by getting a good young free agent to plug a weakness. Do not only get a low grade/cheap free agent to just make the team for specialty team play. The vikes move up to draft Gerhart a season ago because he was such a good buy, Why, we didnt need him. We had other needs much more pressing. A few years ago we draft a wideout first round because he had speed
    but could not catch or track a ball over his shoulder. We also draft Defensive lineman in the first round that walk down the street naked and into strangers homes. Do the vikings actually pay the draft team to research who they draft.

40. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

NOW is the time to write to your local sportswriters to
    “encourage” Rick Spielman to draft OFFENSIVE LINEMEN and DEFENSIVE BACKS in the first four rounds of the draft.

I have already done so.

41. By iaVIKE on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

FrankenP – I wouldn’t consider it, no. I want Jared to retire a Viking, but it’s good to keep throwin different scenarios and ideas in, never know what might happen on the 26th.

42. By Thevikes07 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

DONT DRAFT AN OL!!! DONT BE Fking STUPID!

DRaft something huge IMPACT for the team! Clairborne or Michael Floyd

43. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Frederick- How do you feel that Marcus Sherals will most likely get cut?

44. By Terry Brown on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I’m a vikings fan from New Jersey. Every two years I fly in for a game. I loved my vikings since 1971.Lets relax and let the team develop because we will a good run when it does. Everybody loves the sunshine but you have to endure the rain too.

45. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- A CBs primary job is guard the Wr. Would you rather have a CB whose not good in coverage, but a great tackler. Or a CB whose great in coverage, but not a good tackler?

46. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@Wayneviking,

I agree 100% with your post. We will have to spend some additional money obtaining some good free agents along with the players we get in the draft.

I wonder sometimes if our scouts and Spielman look at a player who is unknown, and see him as the next Tinglehoff, or Jerry Rice. You know, that rare diamond in the rough that everyone has missed on.

Their ability to recognize talent has been limited in past years.

The good thing about all that is if we do not draft well this year, Spielman has to be blamed, and he will be fired.

Spielman can always take a cake job at Upper Iowa University as an Assistant A.D. or something. He makes good money right now. Hopefully he is smart enough to put some money away for a rainy day!!!

47. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer,

Marcus Sherels should make the Vikings team, and currently start at CB.

But he is small in stature, and weight, so may get over-looked.

The Vikings are not so hot at judging talent. Your boy Cook should do well, but we’ll have to see how he does against the certain adversity he will face at home and especially on the road.

Cook can cover people.

48. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@Mad1,

At this date, none of the people you mentioned have done anything worth noting in a regular season game.

It’s risky to sit on our heels and avoid hiring T, G, C, CB, and S candidates.

The problem the last two years IS THINKING WE’VE ARRIVED AND SOLVED OUR PROBLEM AREAS.

I am going to do my best to see that it does not happen again.

Write your local sportswriters and tell them what the VIKINGS need in the draft this year. OFFENSIVE LINE AND DEFENSIVE BACKS.

49. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

May I remind all who write, and read here that there are 5 offensive line positions, and 4 defensive back positions plus backups.

We have ten (10) draft picks to make. The quality players come in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

These people make it possible to watch a “splashy” receiver in the Vikings games. No man lives on an island.

Write your local sportswriters!!!

50. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I think, if the Vikes make smart draft choices, they’ll improve more than people think this coming season. I believe that’s especially true if they draft Kalil first.

Assuming that all holds true, Rick will be back next year. It takes more than one season to rebuild a team, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Rick’s a two year trial rather than just one year.

51. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@PurplHaze,

Let’s hope you are right about Spielman.

Vikings history, being what it has been in recent years, tells us that if the Vikings don’t have a decent season, the fans will be calling for someone’s head.

Since Spielman is really in charge now, I expect him to take the blame.

52. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Yes, they HAVE to take Kalil! But that is only a start.

53. By frankenpurple on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

iaVike–yeah, I would like to see Allen retire a Viking, but I got over Page not retiring a Vike. Wasn’t easy and now that I think of it, maybe I really haven’t gotten over it. The only Super Bowl visits the Vikes ever made, they had a butt-kicking left takle. (#73). If Spielman made that trade with Miami, got the #8 and an extra 3rd, he could make a big splash in his first draft in his new position. I really like J. Allen, but I think he only has a couple good years left. With that #8 pick, the Vikes could go in a lot of different directions.

54. By Shawn on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Spencer … Its not an argument. The list of great CBs that could tackle is endless. The best tackling CBs with size ( Rod Woodson ) become safeties.

There is a difference between poor tackler and adequate tackler. Yes a CBs primary role should be to cover … but ALL DEFENSIVE players ARE PAID to TACKLE.

55. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Frankenpurple – I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but I think that a record setting DE should be worth more than you’re projecting. We traded a first and fourth round pick for him before he set the record. Now that he’s had his best season ever, he should be worth a first and second rounder without the help of Webb. True, he has fewer years in front of him, but his recent performance should jack-up his value.

56. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn,

Yes, football is blocking and tackling. The other stuff can only occur if the blocking and tackling is there!

57. By iaVIKE on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

FrankenP – Yah man i think Webb might be enough to pull that one off to be honest, he’s another guy i would like to see in purple for a long time, but we might as well send him somewhere he can do something other than stand on the sideline. Frazier already said a couple weeks ago that we will NOT be playing Webb at WR anymore….so we may as well get something for him. Spielman might be shopping him…

58. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – I was surprised by that OLB list too. Greenway should probably be at least a few marks higher, and should definitely be above Erin Henderson. Now I’m going to expect a lot from Erin this year, and probably get disappointed.

59. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@Frankenpurple,

I am gambling that our defensive line will be an average NFL line in 2012. Acquiring a young FA at Defensive Tackle to help stop the run, would be a good idea!

We can’t get rid of Allen. He may not be worth much on the open market, but he is worth a lot to the MN Vikings!!!

60. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

iaVike – I agree. If this is the final year of Webb’s contract, we should be shopping him around. Miami seems to be the best bet, assuming that Cleveland pulls the trigger on Tannehill. All by himself, Webb would be a bargain as a 4th-round pick. He has proven he can win games, and he has freakish athleticism. That alone should at least be worth a 3rd rounder, but we can still add value and help both teams out with a trade for a 4th.

61. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Good point Shawn, also, what are you most excited to see during the pre-season?

62. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody – Erin’s smaller in stature than Chad. And, Erin he hits like a pillow compared to Greenway. I liked E.J. better than his little brother, but it seemed like he was always hurt. What a shame!

63. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

iaVike,

That is good news that we won’t play Webb at WR. But nothing is written in stone.

We certainly may need an LB of some type as well. The current unit may be adequate though if the DL and DBs are strong. But it would not be the best defense in the NFL, that’s for Shirley.

We do not need a WR, and certainly do not need YET ANOTHER FREAKING TIGHT END! mAN DoN’T ThAt TeE YA oFf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

64. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

we DO not NEED another FREAKING te or rb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, this is the end of my rant. Am I the only person in the Northern Plains who gets upset about this stuff? Who is this Carlson guy anyway???

65. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Oh yea but we got dis grate TE fo ya!

66. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody- What are you most excited to see during the pre-season?

67. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I am not sure why we signed Sage if we’re not going to put Webb in at WR. I think he should be on the field a lot more than he is, and maybe that means lined up as a WR. He’s an athletic guy that can make an impact.

We will need a LB, based on what we’re going to do with E.J. I’m not sure he’ll get signed again due to his history of injury.

I think we do need a WR, and in particular we need a deep ball/red zone guy we can put some stock in. I’m for filling this need with Rueben Randle, and I’ll ride that rant until the wheels fall off! =)

As for the TE, we made that move because Visante’s time was up. Not that he wasn’t productive, but he does have quite a few years in the league. Maybe we get a chance to sign him back? Wouldn’t make much sense, but who knows…

68. By charliewest40 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Jones, I had the priviage of watching John Carlson play high school ball and some while at Notre Dame. He is the real deal. Just give him a chance. I predict he will beat out rudolph for #1 TE.

69. By TheValentine84 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@frederick, 2 tight end sets are becoming the norm in the NFL now, I think it was a great idea to sign Carlson, we have two great pass catching tight ends that are young. That sounds good to me.

70. By frankenpurple on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody – I would certainly make that trade for the #8 and a second. Webb worries me somewhat though. The Vikings haven’t put him at receiver (where he could have been a huge help) If he stays and Ponder stumbles, even a little, there’s going to be a quarterback controversy that neither Frazier nor the Vikings need, and in a couple years, the Vikings aren’t likely to be able to keep him through free agency. If the Vikings aren’t going to use him, they need to get value for him while they can.

71. By TheValentine84 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Also, TE’s are a Quarterbacks best friend, especially a young QB in Ponder. 2 tight ends allow the threat of running the ball effectively while always having to be wary of the pass and play-action. I expect to see a lot more 2 TE sets from the vikes this year.

72. By Rogerthevikefan on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

How about this for a trade scenario: K. Williams and a 4th round pick to the Broncos for there 1st. Then draft Wr Stephen Hill. It helps the Broncos because the need DTs and Vikings when by getting rid of a older player and open up more cap space. Do I want K.Will gone no but it would help the team in the long run.

73. By frankenpurple on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

iaVIKE–Sorry, I was busy keying and didn’t see your post. I agree with you, value NOW!

74. By iaVIKE on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

FredJ – although im not thrilled with how much we are paying Carlson, i think it was a good pick up. Two TE’s for Ponder to throw at will be great, and im glad to see Shiancoe go, like Rice Favre made him look good in 09, and i think he forgot how to block. Apparetly Carlson had a lot of interst from other teams as well…maybe that has something to do with what we’re payin him.
    FrankenP- Exactly

75. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Roger – I’m not with you on that one. In my opinion, an additional reason why we were so pathetic in the secondary last year was because we cut Pat Williams. He was our middle pass rush guy, and that hurt us on D last season. Kevin is our ONLY RELIABLE DT left!!!

76. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

PurplHaze…I give Spielman even another year…I think the new GM has a 3 year window…Now if things go bad again this year…I believe it is Frazier who will take the heat…And a possible firing taking place…

Zygi has given Spielman the GM position…But I think Zygi also told his new GM that Frazier is to get another full season…The talent is there…But can Frazier coach ??…Can Frazier bring that talent all together as one team ??…That has been the problem in the past…Poor coaching decisions on and off the field…Not Spielman…Granted a lot of the problems stem all the way back to the Childress era also…

I think Spielman will only (most likely) gain more power in the GM position…If the Vikings post a poor record next season…Spielman might have a big part bringing in a (possible) new head coach or staff ??…But that will not happen…If Frazier can get a good year out of the team…

I really like that Frazier now gets to do his job and coach…Childress was the power hungry guy and wanted his nose in everything…Frazier was dealing with way to many off the field issues last season with Cook,McKinney,Griffen,etc…Now all he has to do is coach…And that is plenty to worry about already…That Spielman take care of the rest…

77. By frankenpurple on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Rogerthevikefan:
    I was thinking along those same lines. I was thinking E. Griffin could take J. Allen’s place now and the Vikes could use any additional picks acquired through trade to get Hill, Gilmore, and a really good DT. If somehow the Vikes could get two of those three along with Kalil—awesome draft!

78. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree 110%, OT. I think appointing a GM to lessen the head coach burden was the right move. I’d like to see Frazier succeed, don’t get me wrong, but we all know what they say about nice guys…

79. By iaVIKE on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

OTK – I agree that Frazier and Spielman deserve more time. I just wonder if Frazier was so preoccupied with other things going on that he lost control of what he was known for – the defense. Seems that if we have a former D coordinator at the helm we shoulkd have a better D than last year. But with the everything that happened last off season i kinda understand

80. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – I can’t say for certain what I’m most excited about in the preseason. Currently, I’m curious to see how the CB depth chart plays out, and I’d like to see if any of the players who didn’t see much time from last year’s draft are capable of earning bigger roles on the team. But, I’m sure that the draft will impact my level of preseason excitement a lot. It should create competition in at least a couple of positions, which is especially true if some of the mocks I’ve seen are close to accurate.

81. By ohiovikesfan on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

……AND WITH THE 3RD PICK IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2012 NFL DRAFT, THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS SELECT JOE BLOW FROM MEANINGLESS UNIVERSITY, PICKED BY RICK SPIELMAN!! OR, HE TRADES THE 3RD PICK AWAY AND WE LOSE OUT COMPLETELY ON KALIL, CLAIBORNE, AND FLOYD!!!!

82. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I’m also curious to see how Brinkley pans out. He’s the only MLB on the roster right now, so I’m concerned about the lack of competition. He played well in E.J.’s absence, but he needs at least some decent competition to push him if he’s going to be our starter.

83. By iaVIKE on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody – I agree, and i think Spielman is putting a LOT of emphasis on competition this year, and that never hurts.

84. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I chuckle every time I see a fan mad about the signing of TE Carlson…Well those fans better be biting their nails in round 2 if TE Coby Fleener is still on the draft board…Because Spielman might just be taking C Fleener with the #35 pick in the draft…Because the draft value is there…And this kid is going to be good !!…

There might be only one reason Spielman might pass on Fleener…And that is because the Vikings picked up Carlson in free agency…But still not sure if they still won’t take the best TE available in the draft…If he falls into the second round…So beware all TE haters…Its possible another might be coming to Minnesota…If he still on the board in the second round…

85. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I jsut recalled that the Jets got Tebow for a 4th and 6th round pick. Considering that Tebow has more proven success, I’d say that brings Joe’s trade value down to a 5th round pick, but a trade with a team like the Dolphins could end up netting more than that. The Dolphins haven’t appeared to be the smartest team in trades as of late, giving up Brandon Marshall for 2-third round picks.

86. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

OTK – Unless he’s a blocking TE, that move has zero percent chance of happening. If he IS a blocking TE, I think it still has a very low chance of happening. If anything, it should convince Speilman to trade back a few spots to let a TE needy team draft the best in this year’s class.

87. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

He looks good on highlights, OT.

Any chance Indy will take him and give Luck somebody familiar to throw to?

88. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody…The young man can block…But just what I was thinking also…You mentioning the power of trading that pick if Fleener were still on the board…Because there are teams that will covet that young TE…

89. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

If I’m not mistaken, Indy lost both Clark and Tamme… Makes them a good candidate.

90. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

P Haze…You must be tuned into my thoughts…hahaha…

You can bet Luck would want his teammate to throw too…Big target…6′- 6″ tall and can run a 4.55 40 time…249 lbs…And can help block…

Both of the Colts TE’s left this year also…Who do they have left at TE right now ??

91. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Clark might retire…And Tamme followed Manning to Denver..

92. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Only problem with that is that the Colts have the #34 pick in the draft, so if they’re interested in the TE, chances are they’ll take him just before it’s our turn to pick rather than trying a trade to get back-to-back picks in the 2nd round. Who else would they be targeting at the same time?

93. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

With a frame like that, he can catch a ball on the sidelines as well as over the middle. Very attractive for any team that needs a TE!

94. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody – That’s exactly the spot I was referring to with the Colts. I think, other than a QB, they’re in the market for DBs as well.

95. By iaVIKE on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

OTK – I think there would be an uprising if we took a TE with our second pick ha

96. By Parody on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, I just got the impression from the rest of the conversation that you were suggesting we trade the pick to the Colts for the shot to draft the TE.

97. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

No Way, Parody! I’d rather we get a WR or a DB in the 2nd round, unless someone wants to reward us kindly for that pick. But it depends on what the other teams would be willing to offer.

98. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I like the fact the Colts need at TE…Because they also are in need at WR…Even though Reggie Wayne is coming back…

I believe the Colts are hurting just a little more at TE than they are at the WR position…That may help one more solid WR fall another slot for the Vikings…With the Colts having such a big need at the TE position…

99. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

True, OT … Of all the teams, I can’t see any “needing” a TE quite as much as Indy. So Fleener going to them top of the second round makes pretty good sense, assuming he’ll still be available.

100. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

And now … Back to the Purple!!! =)

101. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

This is how our team should be.

‘The way you earn respect is through fear’
    – Greg Williams

102. By OTKalil2012 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

It will be very interesting to see how valuable that second round pick might end up being for the Vikings…With players dropping out of the first round and into the second round area the second day of the draft…I am hoping that a WR of huge value will be there for the taking…But if not…The Vikings might get very nice trade value to drop down some in the second round also…

If Spielman drops down in round 2…Any position on the team falls into play after that…Except maybe a kicker early… : )

103. By Spencer on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I dont want a bunch of guys from my team that are bankers or lawyers, I want a guy on my team thats gonna fight for me, on the football field, and off the football field.
    – Jeremy Shockey

104. By Derrick.G on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

And to think……09 we were all saing this is the best Vikings team since 98…….now were the worst since……ever…..but its always fun b!tching about football with y’all. lol

105. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think we should trade down in the 2nd unless we get later round picks in return. I’d consider either a 4th or 5th round pick for dropping back in the 2nd and letting someone have the 35th pick. I think that could be a decent deal.

I think, if H. Smith is available at 35, you HAVE to take him. We can get a decent WR later on.

106. By charliewest40 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Heres an updated big board rankings by position. Wow there are some surprises !!

107. By PurplHaze on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

LOLOLOLOL @ Derrick.G

108. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Drafting based on best player available (BPA) got us players like:
    Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Kyle Rudolph, Everson Griffen, Joe Webb.

We drafted Chris*tian Ponder based on need when we could have gotten our LT of the future in Nate Soldier or Mike Pouncy who is capable of playing center and both guard positions.

How long will it take everyone to realize that by drafting the BPA you are filling your roster with the best player possible through the draft. Can drafting on need work? Yes it can but why dont you ask the guys who drafted Troy Williamson, Erasmus James, and Tavaris Jackson?

It seems to me that taking BPA has worked more for us than going off need has.

Spielman’s plan should be very simple. Trade back to acquire as many picks as possible, and take the Best Player Available with the picks you have. You want talent and depth on the roster? Thats how you do it.

109. By Frederick Jones on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@TheValentine84,

Don Coryell, San Diego Chargers HC, started a trend towards the two tight end approach. But remember that in the origins of the game of football (like in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s) they also used two “tight” ends.

It ain’t nothin’ new, and not everyone is using two tight ends.

But mostly it takes us away from our goal of obtaining the OLs and DBs we truly do need.

110. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Luckily for us. Kalil fits both need and BPA

111. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

B

112. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

P

113. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

A

114. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Dont listen to this GrandDaddyPurp guy. He knows nothing of football.

115. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

To be a championship team, its not all about the starters. You need DEPTH.

116. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

But GDP, we need a receiver!

117. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

But GDP, shouldnt we draft on need?

118. By GrandDaddyPurp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

But GDP, BPA might get us another RB or another QB

119. By KoN on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

BPA can work sometimes GDP, but do you honestly believe that it would be a good idea for us to draft another RB, TE, DE, etc. early?

120. By TheValentine84 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

@ Jones,
    How does it take away from obtaining the DBs we need? If anything it allows us to draft DBs higher because we don’t need to have 3 or 4 all star recievers on the field at the same time, we can get by with 2 recievers and 2 tight ends and focus on defense through the draft.

121. By Allan on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Mike B. We can’t be so soft on those short/intermediate routes. This is the product of the Vikes love of the “cover 2 or zone D.” The Vikes have many needs but safety and corner can’t be ignored in the first four rounds of the draft. An impact WR would be nice in the second round but with WR being so deep, we can get one in the third round if the right corner or safety is avail. in the second round.. Go Vikes!!

122. By Zach on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Matt Kalil is going to be the pick. Also, the Wilfs are doing the right thing, remember when Red McCombs owned this team and traded moss for nothing, and promoted an OL coach to be a head coach… what a disaster. Go Wilfs, you’re doing the right thing.

123. By YankeeHunter on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

And with the 3rd pick of the 2012 Draft the Vikings pick no one because they trade down for next years 20th pick for the 3rd round and a a has been that is not ready to leave football.

“Wilf’s confident in offseason plan”

Really? Really? I guess if I was the owner and didn’t want to pay for good players I would be confident in the offseason plan too. Give me a break I’m sick and tired of Owners both the Twins and the Vikings sitting on their hands and not spending the money needed to get quality players. If it wasn’t for us Fans they wouldn’t have a team to Own they depend on us more then we depend on them. Vikings with the current roster moves and signing are going to be the worst team in the NFL. The Wilf’s and everyone else in the Management area need to wake up.

124. By Arthur on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

I say at pick #3 vikings should draft someone on defense like Claiborne or someone of that Caliber to help them out I mean Kalil would be nice to have but I’m sure there some other good OT’s in the draft that could help the Vikings

125. By Dylan on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Here’s a perfect scenario draft kalil at 3, then trade AP and our 2nd rounder this year for the browns 4th overall pick and there 22nd overall pick and draft trent richardson with the 4th and stephan hill with the 22nd overall pick. Ap wont be the same with his knee injury, and has a huge contract, and both of these players will be weapons for Ponder or Webb in the offense.

126. By peever on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

dump the “kalil” koolaid……they got love and fusco last year…develope them…..o-linemen are not that much of a difference from one player to the next…..stand there…be fat….and block someone for 5 seconds while the playmakers make plays…….draft an impact player…….blackmon or claiborne……drafting kalil would be a WASTED draft pick…..get a blue chipper…..not a double chip dipper….

127. By OleSouthSIder on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

It’s absolutely insane to hear people not consider trading back and acquiring more picks for a team that has so many holes to fill and is so far away from being competitive. You need TALENT to be competitive… We are not Belichick and the Patriots, which means I don’t trust this organization after round 1. Our most glaring hole is so obvious, a team with 50+ sacks and only generated 4-6 interceptions???? WOW! With the current front office more 1st and 2nd round picks=More potential playmakers. People get your head out of the clouds, come back to reality and smell the Sh!t.