Vikings, CB Samuel Are An Unlikely Union

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 29, 2012 – 5:41 am

Earlier in the week we discussed the possibility of the Vikings being suitors for CB Asante Samuel, who according to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer has been placed on the trade block by the Philadelphia Eagles. At the time, I thought the likelihood of the Vikings acquiring Samuel – whether via trade or free agency if the Eagles couldn’t trade him – was somewhat of a longshot, but I also thought it was worth a discussion on the vikings.com Blog.

It was worth the discussion apparently because over 113 comments on the topic were posted by readers.

Now, just a few days later, I think the possibility is even more unlikely. It’s a legitimate longshot, actually.

Terry McCormick of Titan Insider reports, citing a league source, that the Tennessee Titans have “at least some interest” in the 31-year old CB. Remember, the Titans lost their top CB – Cortland Finnegan – to free agency. Increasing the unlikelihood that the Vikings will be in the mix for Samuel is the fact that, also according to McCormick, the Eagles are asking for a 3rd-round pick in a potential trade.

As I said in the first post on this topic, Samuel has great credentials as a 4-time Pro Bowler and 3-time All-Pro with 45 career INTs. And he’d instantly upgrade the Vikings secondary. But since we began discussing this earlier in the week, the Vikings signed CB Zack Bowman. On top of that, keep in mind that Samuel is already 31 years old and he’s due $9.5 million in 2012. Even if he restructures his contract, it’s a lot of money for a rebuilding team to pay a guy on the wrong side of 30. Plus, a 3rd-round pick is too steep a price to pay for Samuel, in my opinion. I was thinking it’d be more like a 6th rounder or 7th rounder, but apparently the Eagles have other ideas.

You can’t blame the Eagles for what seems like a high asking price. Solid cover CBs are a coveted commodity in a League that just had multiple 5,000-yard passers in the 2011 season. Offenses are becoming more dominated by prolific passing attacks, and defenses must respond by acquiring or developing quality CBs. Plus, we’ve seen the Eagles pull off masterful trades in the past, acquiring tremendous value for players that weren’t going to help them that year – QBs Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb come to mind.

But you also can’t blame the Vikings for not getting involved in talks with the Eagles. I don’t even know if the Vikings would have interest in Samuel, regardless of price. If they did have interest, the thought of giving up a 3rd-round pick and overpaying for a CB with 9 years of wear and tear on the treads is not a good one for a team looking to get younger and build for the future.

63 Responses to “Vikings, CB Samuel Are An Unlikely Union”

1. By Roninmn.. on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Thanks but no thanks to Samuel. He dosen’t fit the game plan.

2. By 61Vikings on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

We have 10 picks in this years draft and we need everyone of them!! Do not give up a high draft choice for Samuels (3rd), stick to what you’ve been saying all along, and that is go young and build for the future!! We Viking fans have given you our picks and what would make sense to rebuild this team, so please, do your homework and do the right thing by starting this draft off to a good start by drafting Matt Kalil from USC, it just makes to much sense!! USC has put out some of the greatest O-linemen in the NFL draft and our OL needs a strong LT for the next 10+ years!!!!!!

3. By T.HARRIS on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

You know i very much understand about drafting M.Kalil,but i really do believe Justin Blackmon would be an immediately valuble valuble pick up.With Harvin,Rudolph,Jinkings,and possibly Dale Moss.Hey you got to have weapons.We’re in a pass happy leage.What good is a gun if you don’t have BULLITS.

4. By Parody on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

T.Harris – You have to protect the shooter before you put bullets in the gun, or you’ll destroy the shooter as soon as he starts firing.

What good is a loaded gun if the barrel is made out of wicker?

5. By Spencer on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Bleacherreport listed the top 100 CB’s of 2011 and Chris Cook isnt in it???????? WHATTTTT???? But yet Benny Sapp, and Cedric Griffin is included???That is asinine, asiten,asieleven, asitwelve!

6. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Rd 1- LT Matt Kalil
    Rd 2- S Mark Barron
    Rd 3- CB Chase Minnifield
    Rd 4- LB Sean Spence
    Rd 4 comp.- WR Brian Quick
    Rd 4 comp.- DT Kheeston Randall

7. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Thats my dream scenario for the draft

8. By Spencer on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cook was EASILY a Top 20 CB last year. Earlier bleacherreport listed the top 32 TE’s and Kyle Rudoplh was ranked 10th! Yet they cant even put Cook in the top 100 for CB’s???? ?Disgraceful, absolutely disgraceful!! No way in HE|| did Benny Sapp and Cedric Griffin play better than Cook!!

9. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Haha Lito Sheppard was in it. Didnt WE of all teams cut him?

10. By sandiamond on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Asante’s contract has 2 years remaining with the base salary increasing every year like normal. It is too much to ask for a player that had some decline in production last year. However, the growing trend in the league this year is 3 starting corners instead of 2 per team

Make an offer since two years would be ideal to sign Samuel while our younger guys mature and grow into starting roles

Base salary = match/restructure 5.9 million(same as 2011) plus whatever bonus and offer a 4th or 5th pick

11. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Asante Samuel can NOT tackle.

12. By Spencer on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I want ONE person to tell me Cook was NOT a top 100 Cornerback last year! I know you guys hate my Chris Cook talk, but come the F-ck on. Not even top 100????? BULLSH-T!

13. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

they have the jests 4th string CB on the list but no Chris Cook. HAHAHAHA

Do you really take the Clorox “Bleacher” report serious? C’mon Man!

14. By Lance on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

GrandDaddyPurp I like your mock draft :) only thing I would hope to see different is instead of Barron we take H. Smith at safety I honestly think he fits us better.

15. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Jets* sorry for that

16. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Lance- I would be just as happy to get Smith as i would Barron. We should be able to at least get 1 of the 2 and I would be satisfied with either. After those two though there is a big drop in talent at the safety position so I feel it is very important to get 1 of them

17. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

18. By sandiamond on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Asante Samuel has such good hands and terrific instincts that the All-Pro cornerback rarely drops the ball.
    The Vikings instincts need to be on the Ball, too as Samuel is the kind of playmaker we desperately need to strengthen a secondary that was the worst in NFL history last year

19. By Lance on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I agree 100% beyond those 2 players the quality goes from starters to prospects in my opinion. Though that could make those 2 high demand. Would you trade up back into 1st round to grab one if need be?

20. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Nice article Wobs…I think your spot on with your statements…

One area of the field that might take the Vikings a few drafts to get fixed…That is the secondary…But we still have Winfield and Cook back there…And a new defensive coordinator in which his specialty is the secondary area…So a major upgrade is not out of the question for the secondary…But this fan is hoping for more pressure along the D-line and LB’s going after the opposing QB’s to help the secondary look better also…Vikings need more penetration and pressure on QB’s coming from the middle of their defense…

While I don’t think just one player will make a huge difference in the secondary..But would most certainly help…

I think M Kalil coming in to play LT for the Vikings would be by far the biggest contribution a one man upgrade that could happen for this team…Charlie Johnson should just be released…Not moved to LG…Just released…And if the Vikings chose Kalil in the draft…I think C Johnson will be released…

Geof Shwartz being signed also could be a very good signing…The young man played well at guard and tackle positions while playing for the panthers before being hurt…With the likes of Loadholt,Berger,Fusco,Love,DeGeare, and Valdez…C Johnson may be gone if Kalil is picked in the draft…

LB is a need…While a second round choice at LB seems to high…I would not be surprised at all if Spielman didn’t have a LB fall into his pool of “best player available” starting in the 3rd round…I see Kalil round one…And most likely a WR in the second round…But after that…I really think Spielman will stick to his chart of “best player avaiable” from the 3rd round on…The Vikings have needs at so many positions…Hope our scouts are spot on this draft… ; )

21. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Safety, Cornerback, Guard, Linebacker are positions that need addressed before Receiver

Lance- If those two go in the first round then that means a really good player of another position will fall to us. An example would be DT Devon Still who alot of people had him as a top 10 talent and I believe still is. Or Donta Hightower Stephen Hill or Janoris Jenkins. You never now so what im saying is I wouldnt want to trade up

22. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Best Player Available.

23. By Lance on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I guess my biggest concern is that at the safety position… Who in FA can help us if we can’t draft one? Atogwe would be nice but he decided not to want to visit us. At SS I am not sure who can fill in. Frampton? he seems mostly special teams to me so makes me worry

24. By sandiamond on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Spielman needs to get on the horn with Bill Belichick they own # 27 and #31 picks in the first round. Every year the Pats wind up trading one pick in the 1st round. Do whatever it takes to make the trade and select S Barron or S Smith(whichever one is left at that point in the draft)

25. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Just like Kevin Williams Kheeston Randall is 6’5. All he did in college was eat up double teams to free up his other DLine to get 1 on 1s. We need a guy who can do that

26. By sandiamond on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

GDP we are loaded at OG, got to build depth at OT

27. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I think there are alot of quality CBs in the draft we can get and turn into safeties

28. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Spencer…Cook is not listed because he didn’t have enough playing time on the field…

In baseball…They don’t give a batting title to any veteran or rookie who batted .750…When that player only batted a total of 4 times while playing one game that season…And went 3 for 4 at the plate…

If Cook gets the playing time this season…He should grade out well…Lets just hope he has a couple of “stays” this season…That Cook stays healthy…And stays out of trouble with the law….Cook has talent…Hope fans can watch close to 16 games of that talent this coming fall…

29. By stonecoldvdn on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

We have quite a bit of needs but lets face facts the secondary we have sucks i know ya pulled in bowman but we still need a playmaker ball hog sorta say. winfield getting older maybe think about moving him to safety.also last yr the d line did not get the push it did the yr before besides allen. i thinkwe should get claiborne 1st fix secondary. then go offensive line or maybe even wide reciever so we can get points on board.we could stand to get a linebacker in later round but if the picks were up to me i would draft like this
    !st-claiborne
    trde back up get OL
    2nd-wide reciever

30. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Sandiamond- We are loaded with unproven players. Truth is we need versatile guys who can play more than just 1 position on the OLine. I liked the Schwartz signing. Lets hope his health doesn’t become an issue

31. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Ife we drat Claiborne. Mike Adams might be there for us at pick 35. I would love to get Claiborne. But i honestly feel Kalil is the best option for us.

Say we get Claiborne first then OT Mike Adams in second
    Or we get Kalil first and CB Janoris Jenkins in the second

What would you rather do? I’d take Kalil/Jenkins

32. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

33. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

34. By sandiamond on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

GDP that is Ultimately what might have to happen. I was disappointed watching tape of S Markelle Martin hes just another banger around the line of scrimmage like what we already have in J. Sanford

35. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

This has been said of Matt Kalil: “The most complete tackle I have evaluated in my time scouting prospects, Kalil has the athleticism to excel as a pass-blocker and the mean streak to be a force in the running game.”

Has anyone said anything like that about Claiborne being the most complete CB or Blackmon being the most complete WR?

Kalil is our pick

36. By sandiamond on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

How can you take a chance on one of the other LT’s(adams,glenn) when they are expected to go in the first round? That chance would wind up with Charlie Johnson again starting at LT , nooooooooooo

37. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Alshon Jeffery ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day. He is someone to consider

38. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Matt Kalil MUST be our pick. Please Rick do the right thing!

39. By sandiamond on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Cliff Harris, Janoris Jenkins and Micheal Floyd. Three when huge off-field questions. Might as well take them off the board because the Vikings Aren’t going that route again after the Cook debacle

40. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Ok its day 2 of the draft. The Minnesota Vikings are on the clock.

With the 35th pick in the 2012 NFL draft, The Minnesota Vikings select….?

41. By Kyle on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Dre Kirkpatrick or mark barron

42. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

GDP…I keep thining of 2 players that come from the same team…One player I think is overrated…And the other underrated…

LSU had M Barron…Was he that great of a safety…Or did he look good with his physical style of play…Because he came from a great defense all the way around…I tend to go with the latter…

Then there is WR Rueben Randle…I think Randle is a first round talent…The guy flat out can make plays…But came from a system with an average QB at best…I think the only reason Randle falls to the second round is if teams pay to much attention to stats…Or if they are foolish enough to think 4.5 speed is not fast enough for the WR position…That young man is going to be a very good WR…

If the Vikings are picking at #35…And Rueben Randle is still on the board…I take him….My second and third choices would be Stephen Hill and Alshon Jeffery…I really like Hill and Randle the best of the 3 choices…But would be more than happy with any of those 3…

One of those 3 WR’s should be on the board when the Vikings pick #35..

43. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

*thining = thinking

44. By Gunner on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Here is a question for you all – we should take Kalil first with the 3rd pick then trade with Brown’s or NE or there first round pick for say our second pick and a 4th pick and take mike wallace from the Steelers. Proven and he would make our attack potent! Thoughts?

45. By Lance on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

With the signing of schwartz was a good move. He is a good Oline man. I know he isnt a huge name but! he is an expert at opening holes for the run game from what I have read. May even be one of the best. This will seriously give AP and Gerhart a good advantage. Something that is over looked very often on just how important Oline men really are. When we have a player like AP its important that our oline can achieve this. Ours last year not only didnt open holes well for AP they didnt give ponder anytime to throw.

I think with adding schwartz and Kalil will proove to be the best thing we done all off season :)

With a little secondary help at the safety position we may just turn this team into a winning record this year.

Our WR are not the greatest. But they will get the job done once AP is able to break out more often and ponder has time to throw. CB’s are not looking bad. I say its been improved a little. I like bowman over griffin. Cook should start all year now. Winfield will get more breaks and less likely to get injured.

The only thing left we need really is a DT to be our pat williams and MLB. EJ may sign again maybe a one year deal even to give us better depth there for this year. Thats prob the best thing we cna hope for. Though there if anything in the FA the linebackers seem to be in plentiful amount to choose from. I think we will be ok at LB.

I think the 3rd round we should take a serious look at a DT to compete with Ballard.

46. By apad28 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I was looking at the FA roster still, i mean Newman is still out there, Al Harris is still out there, there is some decent safetys out there….And some WR’s that we could def use, now it is all up to management to decide that we take some CB, WR from FA….Take Kalil, and work off that…but i doubt we will have a big year in FA

47. By Parody on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Lance – Ballard is Kevin Williams’ backup. Right now, Letroy Guion is our nose tackle with Fred Evans backing him up. I agree that he’s small for a nose tackle, but the coaches seem to have a lot of faith in him, so I doubt we will be adding to the DLine until sometime in the 4th round at the earliest.

This seems to be a favorite time for the team to get DLinemen as it is. Ray Edwards, Brian Robison, Everson Griffen and Chrîstian Ballard all were drafted in the 4th, while Letroy Guion was drafted in the 5th round.

48. By Parody on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Some news about the decisions made for new rules this year:

Mostly not surprising. I’m glad they didn’t decide to baby their QBs any further by extending the horsecollar rule. I always thought horsecollar penalties were too stringent as it is.

I am a bit disappointed that they decided to allow the officials on the field to continue watching replays. Their explanation that officials on the field being “more experienced” than a replay official would be was laughable. A replay official would be less biased, have better equiptment to view replays, be able to make a more accurate decision, and be able to make the decision faster.

When it’s compared to another rule change – adding turnovers to a list of automatically reviewed plays so teams don’t have to challenge them – it seems clear to me that these rules were created with the intent increasing profit. Both rules will help to ensure there is more dead game time waiting for officials to submit their decision, creating more time for comercials to fill. More comercials = more profit. Simple decision.

49. By hognuts on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Yeah 3rd round pick for Samuel is too much

50. By dakotakid59 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

He’s to old,we would rather have someone for the long run.

51. By mnsoldier on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

why would they want yet another use to be, if they want to rebuild you do it with quality young players, not expensive old guys who are only in it for their retirement.

52. By jason1098 on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

yeah

53. By john pridemore on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

actually al harris retired last season due to a knee injury he sustained last season

54. By john pridemore on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

i also agree that matt kalil would be a great draft for us BUT you also have to look at the fact that percy harvin can never stay healthy so we need a dominant receiver that can stay healthy and make plays for us, we also need a CB because we only have chris cook (btw he should be in the top 100 CB’s) and antione winfield but realisticly though we only have 1 good CB considering winfield is getting old and slower plus he cant stay healthy either so my prediction is the vikings will either go with justin blackmon or chris claiborne, but i wouldnt be surprised if they do draft matt kalil either.

55. By jordan on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

blackmon is a must pick. just like AP was. unless you can guaruntee me that kalil is going to be as good as joe thomas he has no business going #3 in the draft.

56. By DaVikings on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, God forbid they got anybody good! just keep getting no names that will always be no names!!!

57. By peever on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

1)claiborne
    2)jeffreys
    3)best o lineman
    4)best lb
    4)best ss
    4)best dt or og
    5 on …camp bodies…wr,db,ol…..
    or 1)blackmon
    2)best db
    3)best ol
    KALIL NOT WORTH A NO 3 PICK…just because some draft “mockers” say so….dump the kalil koolaid

58. By dnlsab on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

So I still think we need to look to trade the number 3 pick. There are lot’s of teams out there looking to move up to take either blackmon or tannehill. We could say trade with clevland, miami,or st louis pick up another say 2nd rounder or late first rounder. St Louis would be the best choice they would move up for Blackmon and still make out in the deal.Swap first rounders and give us there first second round pick. Then we could still draft either Khalil or claiborne which ever is still remaining at 6. Figuring the draft to go Luck,RG3, blackmon (st loius), tannehill, khalil/claiborne at five, then vikings still get there man and gain some additional high draft picks.

59. By toca on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Draft Claiborne. Draft best available lineman in 2nd rd. start claiborn and cook at cb with winfield at niclkle. Woulda been nice to get landry tho. wr not as needed with carlson coming in, alot of 2 te sets with rudolph, ditch shiancoe before he costs team too much $. Aromashdu will break out this year. Vikes make wild card…fucc rebuilding year

60. By Noah Lemke on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

I think its not worth a third rounder he’s worth a 4th and benny sapp.

My draft Predictions
    1. Matt Kalil
    2.Stephen Hill
    3.CB/ILB
    4.Upshaw

61. By Kurt Cameron on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

I’m having trouble remembering the last sb winner that’s left tackle was a top 10 pick. The Vikes had way to many 3 and outs last year and OT’s don’t move the chains. They should take either Blackman or Claiborne with the first pick.

62. By jeff best on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

if we can get him he’d be a great addition especially in nickel and dime situations — common Purple Nation can you see shutting down rogers, cutler and staford. We pick up this guy and get back our starting corners then rock a receiver and kalil in the draft. ITS ON NFC NORTH !!!!

63. By jeff best on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

HARRISON SMITH out of Notre Dame Is an excellent choice @ the #2 pick he’s the best S in college. oh ya and bring samuel