Free Agent CB, OL Possibilities For Vikings, Report Says

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 16, 2012 – 11:00 am

Many Vikings fans have been clamoring for the team to address the secondary and offensive line in free agency, and have grown impatient with the perceived lack of development in that effort. Those fans should be happy to learn, then, that the Vikings may soon look to address each position.

Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that the Vikings may host free agent OL Geoff Schwartz in the near future, and that there could be interest in free agent DB Alan Ball. I have not confirmed with any team officials as to whether this is the case or not, but we’ll pass along information to you if the team confirms these, or any other, developments.

If the team is indeed interested in Schwartz, it would make a lot of sense. Schwartz can play G or RT, and he played for Vikings OL coach Jeff Davidson in Carolina. The Panthers selected Schwartz with a 7th-round pick in 2008, but he was able to make the team and progress into a steady contributor, playing 32 games with 19 starts over 4 seasons. He’ll turn 26 in July, and fits the themes of free agency that I like for the Vikings – get younger and surround Christian Ponder with talented offensive pieces.

While it’d be premature to declare Schwartz a starter if he wound up with the Vikings, he would compete for a starting job at either LG or RG most likely, and at a minimum he could be a versatile reserve lineman capable of playing up to three positions. Again, I’ve not confirmed the Vikings interest in Schwartz, but it would make a lot of sense.

As for Ball, Fowler states in his report that the 6-2 DB “is probably a more natural fit at corner,” but it sounds like Ball can also play safety. Ball was also a 7th round pick, with Dallas selecting him out of Illinois in 2007. As is the case with Schwartz, being a 7th-round pick might not excite fans. But you do have to give him credit for entering the NFL with little expectation, but then carving out a multi-year career with the team that drafted him.

Just as I said with Schwartz, I have not confirmed the team’s interest in Ball. But he fits a position of need for the Vikings and we’ll watch all weekend and into next week to see if anything materializes on that front.

Tags:

236 Responses to “Free Agent CB, OL Possibilities For Vikings, Report Says”

1. By purplehaze1 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

what….no longsnapper or punter…oh that’s right…this is only week 2 of FA…GO VIKES!!!

2. By Mike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Okay, great – but it’s not simply a numbers game. We need to upgrade. Are either of these two really the answer? Why not keep who we have since they’re already familiar with the system – if we’re looking to go this route?

3. By purplehaze1 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

‘ week 1′ of FA…stupid keyboard!

4. By Ya Think on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

ooooh couple of 7th rounders who have turned out to be ok. Embrace the mediocrity!!!

5. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Really like the idea the Vikings OL coach worked with Scwartz in college…Then when Schartz gets his workout in…Coach Davidson knows him well enough…And should have a very good idea where his health is at..And if there are any lingering effects left over of his injury…

6. By Anthony on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Have The Vikings Seen Laron Landry Lately Good They Need To Check Him Out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkU9L-h1xqk

7. By RichardA1 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

The Vikes need to build a team like the purplepeople eaters of old, one that won’t loose anymore superbowls, a kicker that won’t loose the whole season, a team tuff enough that bountys on there head will mean nothing, like the purplepeople eaters or the steel curtain defense. A team tuff enough that no team would dare to put a bounty on there head. Lets get that dominate defense….The “Purple Elephant Guy”

8. By Anthony on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Interview Laron Landry Seriously!! The Viking’s Need A Hard Hitting Safety!!!

9. By Anthony on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

ooo

10. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

From Today’s ” Headline”…Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that the Vikings MAY host free agent OL Geoff Schwartz in the near future, and that there COULD BE interest in free agent DB Alan Ball. I have NOT CONFIRMED with any team officials as to whether this is the case or not, but we’ll pass along information to you IF the team confirms these, or any other, developments…………..I took the liberty of CAPITALIZING the key words or phrases in today’s blog. See if you can find them. Kind of like ” Where’s Waldo”, but a lot more pathetic.

11. By Anthony on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Dont Just Sit IN Your Seat Rick Spielman Do Something Interview Everyone And If You Don’t Like Them Don’t Sign Them Then But At Least Take A Look At Them!! For Example: Take a Look At Curtis Lofton

12. By jacob on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

HURRY UP AND GET SOMEBODY ALREADY. SIGN O.J ATOGWE AND LARON LANDRY PERIOD. IF THE VIKINGS WANT TO WIN DO IT!!!!!!!

13. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I forgot one……”AS TO WHETHER THIS IS THE CASE OR NOT”…………I guess that was ” Waldo “

14. By Nicholas on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

They need tp pick up kalil or blackmon in the draft and sign laron landry and O.J Atogwe!!!!

15. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Not to mention Nova, the reporting is secondhand.

16. By Reggie on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

we need to go after curtis lofton and oj atogwe. laron landry to injury prone and he cant cove he jus hit so hard he injury hisself….if chris cook focus and stop doin stupid things he can actually be good and maybe we go get newman for cb get sum vetran in there…

17. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Just to recap…….(1) MAY……(2) COULD BE……..(3) NOT CONFIRMED……..(4).AS TO WHETHER OR NOT……..(5) IF……….Give yourselves 1 point for each correct answer, and 2 “extra bonus” points if you got the one that I missed….. I

18. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

First Prize is a ” Night On The Town ” with Rick Spielman. Second prize is two “Nights On The Town” with Rick Spielman.

19. By Dean on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Tom Brady was a 7th round draft pick!

20. By jacob on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

VIKINGS STOP BEING SCARED TO REBUILD THIS DEFENSE. OUR PASS RUSHING IS GREAT BUT JARED ALLEN CAN’T DO IT BY HIMSELF,WELL LET ME TAKE THAT BACK YES HE CAN,BUT HE CAN’T BE THE ONLY PLAYMAKER ON OUR DEFENSE. WE NEED GOOD PLAYMAKERS AT EVERY POSITION. LETS STOP THINKING ABOUT EVERY THING ELSE AND START THUINKING ABOUT WINNING. LETS MAKE OUR VIKINGS DEFENSE TOUGH TO PLAY OFFENSE AGAINST. THE VIKINGS HAS A TOUGH DEFENSIVE HISTORY LETS BRING THAT BACK. THE VIKINGS DEFENSE HAS GOTTIN SOFT. YEAH I SAID IT SOFT BECAUSE IM GETTING TIRED OF US BEING THE TEAM THAT CAN’T STOP THE PAST. LETS GET IN THE PURPLE PEOPLE EATER SPIRT AND PLAY SUM FOOTBALL.IF THE COACHES SAY THAT TO ALL THE PLAYERS AND BOND TOGTHER AS BROTHERS. WE WILL WIN A SUPERBOWL GARANTEED.

21. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

3rd prize is a dead muskrat.

22. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

NEAR future

23. By wacky on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

don’t worry viking fans, after rick spielmans, a none look at free agents to sign season and more bad draft picks and us having a another big loseing season we can put it ” ALL” on rick spielman and [RUN THIS “WEEK” GM OUT OF TOWN!!!!! —VIKING FANS KEEP ARE HEADS UP! WE DO HAVE SOME THING TO CHEER FOR AFTER ALL!!!!

24. By glen28 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Yea, lets grab 7th rounders and pay them min wage. Grubb would have been nice, even Lofton since we need a linebacker. Just keep bragging about how much cap money we have & ……don’t spend any of it.

25. By BloggerMike83 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings have no desire to please their fan base, just get used to it. They expect us to sit and wait while they make the “right” choices. But Geoff Schwartz could be a good signing if they get him at the right price. Alan Ball will fail. OJ Atogwe is rumored to be visiting the Vikings on the 19th, same day as Schwartz. I don’t blame them though for trying to sign people cheap so they have money to resign next years free agents such as Allen, Robinson and Harvin. With the lack of activity in the ILB FA pool, I could see the Vikings still going after one of the decent, not premium, ILBs. That’s if they don’t sign EJ but do sign Erin.

26. By Chitownvike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I’m assuming since the Vikes haven’t been sniffing around any WR’s it means maybe they plan to take Blackmon at #3. Ok. But, what continues to confound me for the umpteenth year in a row is why they continue to ignore the top-tier players of positions they badly need to improve, ie CB’s and OL. Our pass coverage has sucked for years and yet, other than getting Winfield almost a decade ago, we pass on elite CB’s and watch games given away to opposing WR’s. I”M TEMPTED TO BECOME A BEARS FAN! Zygi, PLEASE!! Kick your front office in back-side & make them step up!

27. By rye on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Geoff Schwartz would be a solid pickup to add depth to the line.

28. By Paul Nienaber on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Geoff Schwartz and Alan Ball….???….Hey, I played High School football and I’d be willing to come in for the league minimum and I’d probably improve the team as much as they would. Way to think big Spielman!

29. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Titus….I just totaled up the scores. You were awarded an XXbonus for your observation of “NEAR”. Because you forgot to include “FUTURE”, you have to settle for bronze……… Don’t worry, the muskrat is still yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. By wacky on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

ARE FRONT OFFICE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I looked back at some of the reports on Atogwe a few years ago. The Vikes were highly interested in him back then – claiming he might be the “one last piece of the puzzle to get them to the SB.”

32. By Bud Grant on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

One or two big name signings will not fix what ails our team. We need to rebuild our entire team with younger more talented players. Our window to Win closed with Favre. We need two solid years of good drafts to replenish the depth chart. Signing a couple big names would just eat up cap space and we have too many holes to fill, not to mention an entire defensive secondary. So biuild the team with role players through FA and hit big in the draft.

33. By Dean on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Manning worked out for the 49ers on tuesday – maybe that’s why Alex Smith hasn’t signed…

34. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Aw! I debated IF I SHOULD put down FUTURE, but WONDERED too long.

35. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Alan Ball was burnt on a lot of plays last year. Newman sucks he lost his ability with age.

36. By Paul Nienaber on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Why don’t we just wait until August and see who the Gophers cut and offer them Free Agent contracts to fill our roster?

37. By RCVikeFan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Did Spielman take a vacation this week.

38. By wacky on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

RICK SIELMAN SAYS, WE HAVE A HICKUP OR TWO TO OVER COME???? PEOPLE IN ARE FRONT OFFICE TALKS LIKE THIS??? HOW COULD A PRO-PLAYER PLAY FOR A GUY THAT TALKS LIKE THAT. HICKUPS……………………………………………………TARD!!!!!

39. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Titus….HAHAHAHAHAH !!!! Keep it up, I might give you 2nd prize yet !!!!!

40. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

You’re the tard. You can’t even spell.

41. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Wacky, after reading your past comments, I would be careful throwing around words like “tard.”

42. By Paul Nienaber on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Nova and Titus…Thanks for making me laugh and giving me a reason to smile while visiting this otherwise depressing site.

43. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Paul…..That’s my job here….Your’e welcome.

44. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Nova, are you really Spencer today? That contraction of yours looks off.

45. By VikeNasty on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Theres a reason rob ryan doesn’t want Ball back with the Cowboys. Last season he was targeted by opposing QB’s. I’d be happy with a landry for one to three years while the draft fills in the rest of the remaining DB positions.

46. By wacky on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

LICK -ME… TITUS. EVERY ONES SICK OF SEEING YOU AND RICKS SPIELMAN AS LOVERS!!!!!!! IT’S TIME FOR YOU TO DO THE DOGGY WITH [NOTHWOODSVIKESFAN]!!!!!!!!

47. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Paul– your comment restores my faith in the Vikings community.

48. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Schwartz was very solid last year when the Panthers OLine had injuries. He atleast would be good depth. I think he is a RFA.

49. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Well, thanks, but Wacky, I will skip on your invitation.

50. By RCVikeFan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

For 44 Years I have been an absolute die hard Vikings and Twins Fan. I can honestly say that I have never been so dissappointed in both of them. The Twins say they need a new stadium so they can attract better players and increase revenue so they can increase payroll and bring in better players. Well the stadium is full every game and now they are cutting payroll. Now, the vikings say the same thing and now we see no activity. We have better players than these 2 on our roster already. What you are telling us that you are STRIVING for a 4-12 season. Pathetic! Terribly dissappointed in both the Twins and the Vikings. Don’t think I will waste my time watching either this coming season! Out!

51. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Imagine a very good O line- I think this year has a lot more promise than most fans currently anticipate. Then again, I am eternally optimistic.

52. By wacky on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

COME ON TITUS???? WE ALL NO YOUR GAY!

53. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I think I let the contraction thaw too long in the fridge, Titus.

54. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Get ready! I know a lot of you will lash out at me but I’ve had a bit of change of heart.

With the 3rd overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft…… The Minnesota Vikings select…………… Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame

Thats right….. Michael Floyd

Yes the Vikings could trade down a little bit but wouldn’t be surprised to see him easily go in the top 10. I can even see the Rams at #6 taking Floyd.

I say if the Vikings cannot trade down a couple spots than just stay put and take the WR from Notre Dame!

55. By Chitownvike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@wacky I think you meant to say OUR front office sucks.

56. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Come on Wacky, get the cat off the keyboard.

57. By Carl on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings will not take Landry for two reasons (1) His injury (2) He wants big money case closed. I dont know about this Allen Ball DB he sounds like he has good size and if he has position flexability Spielman might consider him at the right price. Schwartz this sounds like O-Line coach Davidson’s recomendation to speilman but it sounds like he has a history of being Schwartz’s coach in college and in Carolina. As far as the Draft goes we could stay put and with the #3 Matt Kalil OT, #35 Stephon Gilmore CB, #67 Chris Givens WR, #99 Marvin Mcnutt WR, Comp 4th Rd or we could Trade down to #5 with Tampa Bay and try to get there #37. then #5 Justin Blackmon WR, Mike Adams OT, #37 Stephon Gilmore CB, #67 Antonio Allen FS, #97 Marvin Mcnutt WR, 4th Rd comp Lucus Nix OG, Comp 4th Rd Keenan Robinson .

58. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Wacky, you are correct- I am no gay.

59. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

NN – we have the chance to put an amazingly strong foundation down with the 3rd pick. LTs like Kalil don’t come along very often, and this one is falling right into our lap. We need to take this opportunity now, and add some window dressing later.

60. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Nova, I have a lot of writing to do this week-end, and I am just having lunch at the computer, but I can tell you this: if I stay here too long, I will regress.

61. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Northwoods- let’s hope we get Kalil. We may get back to .500 this year with the right moves. I am also hoping on AP’s full recovery– that right now is the elephant in the room.

62. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I’m afraid to talk about it. I do rehab for a living, and ACLs are tough. I’m thanking the stars he’s one strong sonofa……

63. By gear on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

This is just ridiculous, I’ve been a vikings fan for 37 years and I feel like I need to abandon this train wreak and find a new team. We just keep picking up all the injured or 2nd stringers that everyone else is to smart to pick up.

64. By Chitownvike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Kalil would not be a bad pick. We really need a couple OL’s. I mentioned once to my girlfriend how Loadholt always false starts at the most inopportune times and she has brought it up numerous times. We could use help all across the line. But, if we allow 30+ points a game, we’ll continue to watch the Packers and Bears vie for our division.

65. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Adding a veteran safety would be great but Otagwe over Landry. Landry is hurt to often so he likely would not be on the field that much. Otagwe would be great but he likely will want a giant contract.

66. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Norsemen- Stop it, just stop it. Michael Floyd? Really? What good is drafting a WR if Ponder has 1.5sec in the Pocket?

67. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Titus, Sonja and I have a Prime Rib to split tonight with some friends, somebody else can entertain……..By the way, First Prize has been awarded to TheRealDon, not because he won, but he threatened to make me ” sleep with the fishes”.

68. By RichardA1 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

We need more players like Allen and Peterson, if you ever played on a team after playing with superstars on the team and there doing there thing people start getting pumped up, the spirit gets going, average players are becomming great players. I don’t think hiring a home town favorite is going to do anything but make his family happy. OORAH HOOAH GUNG HO YAHOO “GO VIKINGS”

69. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence – at least they (WRs) would be well rested by the time we get around to fixing the O-line???

70. By TheRealDon™ on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

NovaScotiaVike…Hahahahahaha

71. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Not fair, but now I know he is the “real” Don.

72. By Sam on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Landry and otogwe need to be wearing purple

73. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

You build the foundation first. We are getting a rare chance at drafting a potential elite OT. Michael Floyd may be good, but ignoring the o-line for another year is beyond foolish.

74. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Richard, I kind of like your Tarzan call:

OORAH HOOAH GUNG HO YAHOO “GO VIKINGS”

We could make that official after the Skol Vikings song.

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

TRD…….HAHAHAHHAAHAAAAAAA!!!!!…Don’t laugh yet, Wobschall is going to be your chaperone!

76. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, our Vikings know what they are doing, relax. Spielman will provide the players; let’s hope our coaches know how to use them.

77. By mnsoldier on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

why are they going after other teams 7th rounders, really that is how they expect to build a SB team.
    This is a major league move all the way.

78. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Northwoods

I couldn’t agree with you more. Now I don’t want people to think that’s exactly what I want because I’d be more than absolutely happy with LT Matt Kalil for the many reasons you said.

Im just shaking things up and taking a slightly different approach.

I spent a quite a bit of time last night doing some homework about having a top tier LT.

Here are starting LT’s for the teams that made the playoffs this last year:
    -AFC-
    Ravens: Bryant Mckinnie
    Bengals: Andrew Whitworth
    Broncos: Ryan Clady
    Texans: Duane Brown
    Patriots: Matt Light
    Steelers: Max Starks

-NFC-
    Falcons: Will Svitek
    Lions: Jeff Backus
    Packers: Marshall Newhouse
    Saints: Jermon Bushrod
    Giants: Will Beatty
    49ers: Joe Staley

As you can see non of the playoff teams had top tier LTs. In fact a lot of them are not very good at all.

–50% on that list are 30yrs or older
    –Nearly 75% of them are in the bottom half of the leage in LT rankings
    –Ryan Clady and Joe Staley are among the better of the LTs on the list but yet their teams were the 2 worst in terms of overall offense (YPG) of teams that made the playoffs.

It just shows that you can get by without a top 10 LT.

Jason Peters
    Jake Long
    Donald Penn
    Jordan Gross
    Joe Thomas
    Eugene Monroe

These are among the very best in the NFL at LT and non of there teams made the playoffs

Yes I understand there is a lot more to an offense than LT but this just all shows that drafting LT is not as make or break as some make it sound. The Vikings can find a very good LT in round 2….. sure its not round 1 but a team can still find a more than good LT in rounds other than the 1st…. let alone a top 5 overall selection.

Hope I opened some eyes.

79. By Mike B. on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Yawn, Looks like guys we could end up cutting at the start of the year. Nothing new here.

80. By Mike B. on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Titus why do you have so much faith in the front office they haven’t proven anything to me yet. heck chilly is an improvement over these guys.

81. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

CB Josh Norman needs to be drafted by the Vikings he is a physical Ball Hawk type corner. Something the current secondary lacks.

82. By Zack on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Lets pay a TE coming off injury 5yr/$25M………..

Kevin Boss’s deal was 3yr/$9M………..

Boss > Carlson
    Carlson’s contract > Boss’s contract

Rick Spielman at work…….

83. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Mike B.

Now Im not going to say the front office are absolutely great because I don’t have a lot to go on as proof.

Im also, not going to go on to say that the front office has failed because, again, I don’t have a lot to go on as proof.

Let’s just all calm down and later down the road see how it all pans out. No reason to get premature at pointing fingers before we even have a clue what the results will be.

84. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Mike B– it is not so much that I have absolute faith in these guys as much as I am not going to be agitated over something that has not happened yet. We have a long way to go before our team is constructed– I am reserving judgment until after the draft– and even that is premature. I also hope that Spielman and Frazier know as much or more than any of the bloggers– one would think anyway they understand the game of football.

85. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply
    It just shows that you can get by without a top 10 LT.

Jason Peters
    Jake Long
    Donald Penn
    Jordan Gross
    Joe Thomas
    Eugene Monroe

These are among the very best in the NFL at LT and none of there teams made the playoffs
    ———————————————————————————————

Jake Long- Matt Moore
    Donald Penn- Josh Freemen
    Jordan Gross- Cam Newton
    Joe Thomas- Colt McCoy
    Eugene Monroe- Blaine Gabbert
    Jason Peters- Michael Vick.

These teams didnt make the playoffs because they had shaky Quarterback play last season. Matt Moore is below average, Freemen had a bad year, Cam was shaky, Colt McCoy is below average, Blaine Gabbert is plain garbage, and Vick had an off-year.

86. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Oh, Norseman and I almost said the same idea at the same time. Serendipity or a sign to the Vikings community to take it easy?

87. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Zach

Actually there are articles that show now that TE Carlsons contract isn’t really as expensive as it may seem. Im not going to get into the details but Ill give you the link to see for yourself.

John Carlson’s Contract Essentially A Two-Year Deal

88. By EricisTiredofLosing on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Come on. Alan ball? Seriously? I would rather take a CB in the 7th round than take alan ball!!!! stay away from him.

89. By Roninmn.. on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Calipackerfan is back as Wacky. Hey Wacky, what happened to your p.c. packers? Ha. Ha. Ha. Loser.

90. By Titus on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Well, it’s 77 degrees in Minneapolis– I am hitting the trails.

91. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I can see the draft for the Vikings player positions of biggest needs to that of players available falling something like this April…

1…LT
    2…WR
    3…LB
    4…CB
    4a..DT
    4b..WR
    5…S
    6…CB
    7…RB

4a..4b…Are projected order of the compensatory picks I think the Vikings will have..

92. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Dam it, Chaz Schilens is expected to agree to terms with the Jets today according to Jason La Canfora. Im at a loss for words, we didnt even work him out. Im telling you this guy will be a stud.

93. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer

I completely see your point. I actually went through a lot of that too last night but didn’t want to hit on too many different topics in just one post.

Like I said earlier there is a lot more than just the LT position that makes an offense really work…… such as the QB position of course.

So one can only imagine what Tom Brady would be like with Kalil as opposed to Light or if Matt Ryan had Joe Thomas as opposed to Svitek. Yes, such an upgrade would make there offense better obviously BUT those great QBs get the ball out so quick all while making excellent blocking adjustments before the play and are efficient at moving in the pocket that their LTs don’t have to block nearly as long.

Peyton Manning had our very own LT Charlie Johnson who was rated 32/32 in the NFL at the position. Yeah he injured his neck but that was a long time ago with Greg Williams bounty led defense of the Redskins.

94. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Have a good night everybody. Just remember, I can compose too:……..the world MAY end tonight, as to WHETHER OR NOT, it COULD BE happening, but it’s NOT CONFIRMED……Why not just be like those supermarket rags and say ” MARTIANS HAVE IMPREGNATED CHARLIE SHEEN” !

95. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

WOW …. Wobschall took a beating.

I like the possibilty of landing the Schwarz … 25 years old mammoth with 19 NFl starts.

96. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Also, look at the Packers.

15-1…… one of the leagues most potent offense……… good recievers……. were a passing machine………. they had…….

Marshall Newhouse! He was 31/32 in the NFL in LT rankings.

Im just saying that Matt Kalil will be more than enough of an awesome upgrade for the purple but I am just addressing the possibility of taking Floyd or Blackmon and selecting a still quality caliber LT in the 2nd. Even trading up into the end of the 1st if a high rated LT slips.

97. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Titus…

Way ahead of you…Was out in the sun and just got back in…The sun was great and my tan has been started…Awesome day !!….

Its March 16th today ??…: )

98. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Fair point Norseman, but look at the QB’s that made the playoffs.

Bryant Mckinnie- Joe Flacco
    Andrew Whitworth- Andy Dalton
    Ryan Clady- Tim Tebow
    Duane Brown- Matt Shaub
    Matt Light- Tom Brady
    Max Starks- Big Ben

-NFC-
    Will Svitek- Matt Ryan
    Jeff Backus- Matt Stafford
    Marshall Newhouse- Aaron Rodgers
    Jermon Bushrod- Drew Brees
    Will Beatty- Eli Manning
    Joe Staley- Alex Smith

Other than Tebow, its not a coincidence that all the teams that made the playoffs had good Quarterbacks. It doesnt matter if you have a bad OT, if you have a good QB that trumps pretty much trumps everything.

99. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, at least try to spell ” Roethlisberger”, you spelled everybody else’s last name.

100. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Remember AP and all the struggles he has had finding daylight along the O-line also…Kalil would not only help out Ponder…But would be huge help for our 100 million dollar RB and the running game…

101. By Kristofer Debenedictis on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

WHO CARES about these no names, sign some one whose worth something that can help turn this franchise around than ill be impressed and the saddest part is that they didnt even sign them theyre hosting them, quite coming out with these WORTHLESS articles about players that no one cares about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

102. By Saddy on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

The craziness continues in front office

VIKINGS SIGN a FIU Point Guard Nick Taylor to 3 years contract – yes a basketball player to workout for WR/CB and Punt Receiver.

Of all the CB/WR’s in Free Agency why is Vikings looking for cheap options…I can see a total bust here for a guy who has never played pro football.

103. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Nova, I didnt feel like looking up his name. Besides, you knew who I was talking about anyways..

104. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Some of those cricket players look…………….thin.

105. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Spencer

Exactly…. youre pretty much proving my point.

No matter what team you are if you do not have a Great QB than your chances of post-season play drops a lot.

If the Vikings believe Ponder can be our future franchise QB than as he gets better he can better make line adjustments, better awareness, quicker release and because he becomes overall better he won’t need someone like Kalil. Would Kalil help?…. yes but grabbing someone like Floyd or Blackmon would help just as much quickening his learning curve just because he has tons of weapons at his disposal.

I guess in a way you can look at it as if Ponder is able to get throws off in (just a random example) 2 seconds….. why not have someone in round 2 or later that can easily block for that amount of time. Sure Kalil can block for over 89 seconds (exaggeration) but when would he ever need to block for long periods of time when/if you have an effectively good QB.

106. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Don’t worry, Spencer, sounds like you guys are on a first-name basis.

107. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Ha does anyone else think the Roethlisberger is the grossest last name that any person could have. LOL I do!

108. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Can’t ever have enough point guards in your line-up !!

109. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I know one thing for this fan…I am not going to knock any player that our new defensive coordinator brings in…Because this poor guy is coming into Minnesota with plenty of secondary defensive knowledge…And is coming to a team with NO talent in the secondary what so ever !!…

Sorry Spencer…Cook has a lot to prove to this fan…Like staying healthy…Along with staying out of trouble…

110. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Vikings should sign Denzel Washington to the staff just purely as a motivational coach. I could easily turn into an All-Pro player if he got in my face with one of his inspiring speeches. Ha hope your reading this Frazier

111. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Norsemen, that was my point lol. If Ponder was good then I would potentially say draft a WR, but since hes not. Draft Matt Kalil.

112. By Erik the Red on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Everyone keeps saying to pick up Landry. I live in the DC area, and last went to the Vikings vs Redskins game 2 years ago. Not that that has to do with anything, but the one problem with Landry is that he is always getting injured it seems. I know he is a good player, and I do think the Vikings should look at him, but I honestly don’t know what he would ask.

113. By Saddy on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Saints releasing Jonathan Vilma, Vikings should jump on this guy give him $1 for breaking Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees throwing shoulder and Calvin Johnson’s hip.

Also as a welcome party everyone in the vikings can slap him for what he did to our 2009 season in bounty scam.

114. By Rudso on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, when did you become a pro scout? I didn’t know we had a scout on these message boards. That’s pretty cool.

115. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer

Ha no worries….. I maybe should have rephrased a little since I also knew that was what your getting at.

The thing is we will know in 2-3 years for sure if Ponder IS or ISN’T a star quality QB. It’s far too early to tell.

Let’s just put as many star ‘skill’ positions as possible in front of him to give him the best chance to succeed. Peterson, Gerhart, Rudolph, Carlson, Harvin, Floyd/Blackmon would be absolutely amazing….. especially in a couple years of maturity.

If Ponder can’t succeed with that caliber of talent after a 2-3yrs than we know it’s time to move on.

Note: I think we all know Charlie Johnson is probably a better guard so he will need to be upgraded but who is to say Love can’t be a better upgrade or a 2nd round LT. Than it all just comes down to the mind and arm of Ponder

116. By Malcolm on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings want to be in position to resign Percy Harvin, Jared Allen, and others next season . . I think the Vikings should pursue Laron Landry and make him a building block to improving the secondary . . But again his asking price might be too much for what the Vikings are looking for . . give the team time . . remember the Vikings splurged by signing fred smoot, madeiu williams, and benard berrain in past years . . see where that turned out? right, just be patient . . .

117. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Erik the red

I said the exact same thing about Landry in a past post:

—————-Ill copy paste for those who like to read it—————–

Okay people who want S Laron Landry! We do not want him!

Yeah he would be an upgrade but how much? Not enough to make the money we would throw at him worth it.

Not only is he injury prone but he is NOT a deep backfield player. He never was, is, and never will be! Yes, he has got ‘little’ better and will get ‘little’ better as time goes on but the word “better” can mean just one tipped pass improvement.

He plays his best near the line of scrimmage and is a good tackler with good speed. With the exception of top end speed the Vikings can find that easily in the end of the draft or a very cheap free agency pick up! The further away from the line of scrimmage he get the worse he becomes. He is not a rangy ball hawking saftey.

THE VIKINGS TO NOT NEED A LINE OF SCRIMMAGE HOVERING TACKLING SAFTEY!!!!

The Vikings need a safety with deep backfield range that can make plays on the ball in the air.

So to the Landry fans quit making uneducated chants “Come on Vikings….. Get Laron Landry!…. What are you thinking?”, “THE VIKINGS NEED LARON LANDRY!!!”, “LARON LANDRY WOULD HELP OUT THE TEAM SOOOO MUCH!!”

JUST STOP!

Yes, he would be an upgrade at the position but in the end would be hurting the team overall because he would be eating up cap space and prevent from the team testing out other younger safetys that could do the same job if not better for cheaper.

For the last time……. WE…. DO… NOT… NEED… TO… GO… AFTER… LARON LANDRY!!

118. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Rudso, if Spencer was a pro scout, we would have ” Team Leavenworth “.

119. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Even though I do know a lot about players, even I am wrong sometimes. I thought Cam Newton was going to be the next Jamarcus Russell.

120. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Spencer~Norseman…

Remember whem McKinney first came to Minny…He would stand guys up at the line of scrimmage all day long for Culpepper…I think to a point Culpepper had too much time to throw the ball…I used to scream at that guy to “throw the ball Daunte” !!!….

I think Culpepper got a little worse every season…Not from lack of protection…But from being so well protected as a new QB in the league he got lazy…

121. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Too much weight and too little knee for Daunte.

122. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

123. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

124. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Ponder Never gets that kind of protection. Draft Kalil. It must be done !!

125. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

CEDRIC GRIFFIN IS A REDSKIN !!!!!!

126. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@OTKalil2012

Ha well that’s one way to look at it but the thing about Daunte Culpepper is that he never was an X’s and O’s guy

He was a field stretching QB that could also make plays with his legs. One would never have seen him becoming a field general effectively breaking down the defense brilliantly marching his team down the field for a game-winning touchdown.

He depended on players like Randy Moss and once that ended so did Culpepper.

If anything I don’t know if great protection hurt him in the long-run…. it only helped in long enough through the Culpepper-Moss experience. After Moss left he could have still had the same type of great protection and would have still struggled to be a productive QB.

127. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Ponder is a smart kid…And is smart enough to know you can always learn more to get better at everything in life…And has the drive inside to be one of the best…

If Ponder gets time to throw the ball…And weapons around him…This young man is going to be fun to watch grow in the QB position…

128. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Vikings signed some guy named Nick Taylor. Not sure what position he plays.

129. By Calihanology on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Landry is swoll, thats great. The problem is his achilles tendon, so I’d need a video of him doing DB drills and a medical report to even be halfway excited about that signing

130. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer

A lot of time when Tom Brady has all the time in the world it’s because teams get so scared how good he is that they will drop almost everyone back.

As you can see in that video they only rushed 4 DL against 5 OL with a RB chip (basically 4 vs. 5.5) and add in that the Dolphin DL isn’t anything impressive……….. all that said it’s not too shocking to see with a little shuffling, on top of it all, in the pocket that Tom Brady would get that amount of time

131. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Roger…THAT”S BECAUSE HE IS A POINT GUARD ( BASKETBALL ) from Florida…….GO SPIELMAN !!!!!! Check out those lacrosse players !!!!!!!!!!

132. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Spencer~Norseman…

Remember..One reason Brady has all day to throw…Is because the Pat’s use the 2 Te max protection system that Musgrave likes to run…And will run more now with the signing of Carlson on the other side of Rudolf…

Throw in a good LT like Kalil into that max protection scheme ??…Vikings will be better this season…How much is yet to be seen…

Big draft ahead of them yet…

133. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

We used max protect practically the whole year, it didnt help at all.

134. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

From ESPN……..”Those of you who have grown restless with the Vikings’ offseason approach probably aren’t going to love the fact that they signed a former college basketball player after a private workout Friday at their practice facility. Taylor has spent some time with a minor league arena team but otherwise appears to have no football experience”………..COME ON WOBS, TELL US ABOUT HOW MANY REBOUNDS HE HAD !!!!!>>>>>>>GOODNIGHT, THIS IS BEYOND SICK.

135. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

C Johnson,Hutch,and Herrera were on the O-line also…

I thought the left side was bad this year…Even with Hutch playing…

I don’t even want to see C Johnson on the team…LG or not…

136. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

No matter the case it really all boils down to hitting home runs during the draft.

I don’t care if the Viking draft a Punter with the 3rd overall as long he can coffin corner kick it inside the 5yd line while being pinned back on their own 5yd line.

Of course I would advise the Viking to select a Punter anywhere near that high but can you imagine, regardless of position, if the Viking hit on 7 out of their 10 selections?!

7 additional pro-bowl players to any team would drastically improve any team. Although that is dream talk but you see my point.

It all boils down to nailing a quality player at each of the Vikings draft selections.

137. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Well…The highest position player ranked on the board outside of QB’s is…

The winner is ???………….”drum roll”………..M Kalil !!!

138. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I am just glad the Vikings have the chance to only use just one pick on Kalil….If the Vikings were drafting around pick 6 or so…They would most likely need to trade up and use their first and second pick to land him…

139. By Taylor on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

According to the website, the vikings have a visit lined up with Atogwe, so maybe.

140. By Taylor on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

err.. NFL.com is the website i refer too.

141. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Who the He|| is Nick Taylor?

142. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Just before I sign off, I just want to tell the Vikings that, while I am not a former basketball guard, I did play hockey in high school, and can still still dunk a puck….After all is said and done, I’ll settle at 3 years for 16M.

143. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Nick Taylor is fast …

Tom Pelissero states that Taylor spent some time in an arena league last year and worked out at FIU pro day where he was clicked at a 4.34 and a 4.27 40 yard dash. Taylor will be a long shot to make the roster but will get a look at cornerback, receiver and punt returner.

144. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

How tall is he Shawn?

145. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, Cheetahs are fast, let’s go sign some.

146. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

hes 5’10 165lbs … so smaller than a cheetah.

147. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

We had a guy named Troy Williamson that was fast too…We all remember to well how he worked out for us…

ouch !!!…that still hurts today…

148. By KoN on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Athough it is obviously odd to sign a point guard for your NFL team, the guy did attend the FIU pro day; that says to me that he thinks he has a future in the NFL. Now that may be different than actually having a future in the NFL, but at least it is something.

149. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

HAHHAHAAH buddy !

150. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Nick Taylor

151. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Well if the guy was a decent point guard in basketball…He might have the fuild hips needed to turn and run like a CB needs in the NFL ???…

152. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Well lets see what this guy can do. Hopefully he can turn out to be a great player.

153. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I am excited about Geoff Schwarz though …

154. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

What kind of hips ???….fluid….better use spell check this time around…: )

155. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

OTK … Im sure as a point guard hes pretty darn quick.

156. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

OTK…..It’s obvious that we have different fantasies about ” fluid hips ” HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHH!

157. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Yea its worth a shot … its kind of how we found Sherels last year

158. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

My ears always perk up when I hear 4.2 or 4.3 speed…Does that make the young man a football player ???…Nope…But not a bad place to start…: )

159. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

The problem I see is having not played football and even if he can catch … ball security. LOL that makes me giggle

160. By kalishnakov on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

wahoo our latest Free Agent to come aboard different article than others posted

161. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Why did we disrespect Marcus Sherals? He was a fine returner!

162. By KoN on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I believe that he did play in an arena league, didn’t he? Obviously that’s not on the same level as the NCAA, but at least he has experience playing the game. I would like to say, however, that no one should not fall in love with his 40 time. Football is more about endurance, and speed doesn’t matter if you can’t catch or defend a pass.

163. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Nova…It’s from all the basic training I had on a water-bed when I was first married….That was a “fluid situation’ also…hahaha

It was all in catching that wave just right…: )

164. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

KoN … yea in one of the articles Taylor was told he was a long shot to make the team … but you never know I think that speed is worth a shot

165. By KoN on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

True spence, but remeber that we used three different guys throughout the year and speed like that would be great for a return man (as long as he can hang onto the ball and take a hit).

166. By Shawn on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Im also glad Ced Griffin is getting a fresh start and hope the best for him.

167. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Have a good evening all…signing out for awhile…Have a few Labs that need to burn up some energy…

168. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Since we arent spending money on FAs. Resign Percy Harvin. His contract runs out next year.

169. By tdurfeightyeight on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

The Vikes couldn’t sign someone smaller? This Taylor kid is a shrimp at 165 lbs., they better start feedin’ him some pie!

170. By tdurfeightyeight on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

allthough Tupac weighed in at only 165 and he tore it up…

171. By Spencer on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Another new blog guys.

172. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

tdurfeightyeight…. All the badminton players were already signed.

173. By PAUL M. on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

N. ORLEANS, THRU PENALTY, SHOULD GIVE A 1st ROUND DRAFT PICK TO VIKES FOR TAKING OUT FAVRE + QUITE POSSIBLY OUR 1st SUPER BOWL VICTORY!

SO FAR, THE VIKINGS ARE PLAYING MONEY BALL. THE ONLY PROB IS THAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS THE SAME FORMULA TOO.

NFL SHOULD HAVE A “FLEXIBLE CAP COMPENSATION” IN THE INTEREST OF PARODY. THE CAP WOULD COMPENSATE THOSE TEAMS WHO HAD TO PAY A HIGHER SALARY TO SIGN PLAYERS WHO COULD SIGN WITH TEAMS IN STATES WITH MUCH LOWER INCOME TAX RATES.

FASTEST WAY TO IMPROVE ON OUR LB & DB WEAKNESSES IS TO SHORE UP THE D-LINE. OUR LB’s ARE NOW A WEAKNESS!

MUST HAVES: OT, OG, DT, WR, CB.

ALSO, I THOUGHT CEDRIC WOULD BE A GOOD SAFETY.

174. By DuaneN on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I’ll take 100k a year to tell the coach when to punt and when to go for the FG.

175. By Alex on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I agree lets get Otagwa, and Landry. Allan Ball isn’t that bad he has alright hands. the reason i say this is because Chris Cook will be back this season. His case was dismissed so he didnt assault his girlfriend. we have Weinfield he is a hard hitter. Asher Allen is a loser he cant guard anyone lets get rid of him and bring back Sapp. Lets bring in Lofton he is good and we should have been in the hunt for Mario Williams, and Eric Winston would be a good fit. Lets also bring in Brandon Lloyd he would be a great fit for Ponder. Also lets bring in Terence Newman he still can hold his own. Lets go and trade for Samuels as well he is unhappy in Philly so he can help us out. Do these moves and we will be contenders. So
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VIKINGS.

176. By Alex on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Go and get Abrayo Franklin to replace or other DT opposite Kevin Williams.

177. By Parody on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

We resigned Guion to be the other DT. He hasn’t impressed me yet, but he’s still young. At 24, there are Rookies who will be the same age as him, so here’s hoping.

178. By vikings4seven on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

BALL IS TERRIBLE. Are you kidding me. What has the viking front office seen on film that makes them think this guy is going to help us. Bringing in any CB or safety is an improvement to this team. But we are tying to bring in solid players that have real talent. This guy is HORRIBLE! I am at my wits end.

179. By James on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Absolutely embarrassing- FA Agenda— 1. Sign a TE that had a season ending injury for 25 million – 2.Then lure 2 less than average replacements for guys we let go- 3. Watch other teams sign quality FA’s we desperately needed (Washington-Tampa Bay) 4. Get ready for another 3-13 year–

Good Luck!

With the quality of play in the NFC Central this team will be horrible for many years to come–

Been a fan for 40 years – Definitely won’t be 41

180. By AFVIKFAN on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Alright. We had $23M in cap space prior to 13 March.

$3M for Guion
    $5M for Carlson
    $1M for Rosenfels (I suspect, anyone know what he got?)
    $390K for the Point Guard
    $10M for Draftees

This leaves less then $4M to sign Erin Henderson, Atogwe, Schwartz or anyone else. If I’m calculating this wrong, someone please let me know.

181. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@AFVIKFAN

I can pretty confidently say that your calculations are off. The thing is I really don’t have the right answer myself. lol So basically im just making an educated guess.

See most contracts are not at all what it seems. I know Carlsons contract is a lot different once you get to the fine print. Im sure that goes along with a lot of the other contracts with players.

Also, contracts are NEVER divided up evenly through the years. Most times they back the cash up so that early years players get less while at the end of their contract they get a lot more. Basically it gives them more incentive to play well or work hard to get deep into their contract.

So long story short if I had to give an answer….. your number crunching isn’t nothing even close to as simplified as you typed it up to be.

p.s. Not bashing at all as I understand you were not trying to be exact or right on the money. Just stating that the number probably comes up nothing close to what you got there.

182. By Northern Norseman on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@James

If you were any type of fan at all for 40 years you would actually half understand the process of how football operations work and how that factors into the state the Vikings franchise finds themselves in right now.

I could care less what your rebuttal to this comment is as I can clearly see by your idiotic statement that you know absolutely NOTHING about how not only the Vikings franchise but how the NFL as a whole operates.

Sick and tired of dipsticks like you. I may be on later so if you honestly want me to school you on how every single thing you just said is so insanely stupid I will. Due time do yourself a favor and start reading up on stuff that you intend to get in discussions about so that you don’t decide to make such dumb bold absurd comments as you have just done.

183. By AFVIKFAN on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I hope I am wrong! I know some contracts are front loaded and some more so on the back end. I also know there are some bodies on the roster that won’t be there with the final 63…one of which I was hoping to be Ayodele. I think we could get a better player than what we’re getting for his $3.4M.

184. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@ James…..Last time that I looked, we were in the NFC North, not the NFC “Central”…….” Absolutely embarrassing.”

185. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

You would think that a fan of 40 years would know what division his team is in..

186. By TheWall on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Nick Taylor played arena football last year. Never saw him play. He is smaller then Harvin and likely will get broken.

187. By TheWall on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

how about a kick to the Lions neter regions sign Mlb Stephen Tulloch.

188. By TheWall on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@NovaScotiaVike the Vikings were in the NFC central till the NFL expanded

189. By TheWall on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

the expansion made 4 division in stead of the NFC West, East, and Central now it is North, South, East, and West.

190. By Kyle on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

ok cedric signed with another team so we need cook now. I say we get Laron Landry because cedric is going to replace him. and common we need a safety now. he could do it

191. By marshhof on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

hey guys we lost 8 games by 6 pts or less lets not be in such a panic.Ponder will be fine the d will play better and we will draft ok let the people in charge do their job ziggy dont like loosing and will take care of that remember the #1 worst free agent signings in the nfl were anyone the redskins took

192. By Erik the Red on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@James,
    True fans stick with their team no matter what, through good times and bad. I hate how everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that the Vikings have the #3 overall pick this year, plus other early round picks. And if you think being a Vikings fan is hard, just look at the Browns and Lions. They haven’t done anything in a long time.

193. By marshhof on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

there is a reason there are free agents………….the team they are with dont think they are worth the money………..Basiclly they were fired

194. By Frost on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry! LaRon Landry!

195. By SkolVikes98 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

@marshhof

Thank-you. Some one else who realizes that we were way better than a 3-13 team last year. An upgraded line, Cook and a few other new DBs, and another weapon on offense and we’re right back in the thick of things.

196. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

@ TheWall……That’s true, but they are in the NFC North.

197. By Jeffbleedspurple on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

@ the Vikings: Are you f king kidding? Who in the Vikings organization don’t understand the concept of IMPROVEMENT? Or is this just a way for the organization to patronize us fans? Who in the Vikings organization feels they need to give us whinny fans sour suckers to suck as if this will sweeten the deal on how the FA has gone so far, what a joke.

198. By Heath on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

So let me get this straight.A backup offensive lineman from a team that won about 10 games over the last 3 seasons and had the #1 overall pick last year and a defensive back Ive never heard of.If someone plays Dallas and Ive never heard him says something because Dallas is constantly in the spotlight.I think Spielman approach for re-building is be so bad for 7 years that we get top 5 draft picks.Wasnt he the same GM that built Miami’s 1-15 team.Just as well trade A.P. and Allen and get something for them.By the time were any good again their gonna be washed up or retired and the draft picks might make it a 5 re-build instead of 7.Im thinking were on the way to being like the 90′s Bengals or Lions of 2000′s

199. By David on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

i think we should get Curtis Lofton young and very talented and try for CB from Ravens Webb i think they would both do good in our defense.

200. By Heath on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Breaking News! Vikings sign a Cornerback from the arena League named Nicholas Taylor!He’s 5’10 and 165 lbs so he should have no problem covering Calvin Johnson.

201. By bob on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

laron landry is over paid and over rated. he did nothing for the skins. vikies need a true CB. there one at the thrid pick,i know we need help on the o-line,but we need a corner to take out the other teams 1 WR,s .u do this and allen will get 20+sacks

202. By RP-ETF-MV on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

You know, everyone whining about how we are not doing anything RIGH OFF THE BAT need to settle down. We aren’t even out of the first week of FA and you all expect the guys in the head office to spend money on people that aren’t as good as they are spoken of, or have problems off the field. We can bide our time in FA. Plus there is this little thing called the NFL DRAFT! Super Bowl winning teams are not made in FA, they are made in the Draft. Ask the Eagles how well they did, and then ask how well Pittsburgh and Pats and Packers did, because of DRAFTING!!!

203. By Jim Peterson on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

as always vikes official give us all this we have a plan Please i have watched them for 50 years come on vikes stop signing are backups and tell us we dont see the whole picture ,but than again we only pay your salaries,maybe if you show the legislation on bring good players or aleast try to sign some they would fall in line for a new stadium,Food for thought I work everyday over in packer land and all their fans believe our viking ownership is doing just fine dont change a thing please sign a gig name signed DISGUSTED IN DULUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

204. By RichardA1 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I am old enought to remember the Purple People Eaters, the team that lost because of a missed kick, the beatening we took from illegal tatics from the Saints. I say we get mean mean and mean players mean enough that teams like the Saints would not dare to try and take anybody out on our team or face the consquences. Trade that 3rd pick for as many mean fighting tuff wanting to play football players. The signing a local favorite is nice and everything but c’mon, we need the best players and we do not care where they come from. Grrrrrrr……..

205. By kevin on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

you gotta be kidding me?? alan ball??? why not someone decent like shawtae spencer who is a proven starter in this league? geoff schwarttz?? who is that why are we getting guys that might not even start?!?! LAND O.J ATOGWE!!! LAND PLAXICO BURRESS!! you want guys that dont cost a lot they are still there make a jump for them!! getting younger is not always the best?? look at the bucs last season watch them turn into the eagles from last year

206. By kevin on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

super bowl teams are not always about who you draft its who you get….look at the saints drew bress darren sharper jonathan vilma drew brees…the patriots adalius thomas juniour seau wes welker corey dillon rodney harrison .. giants plaxico burress antrel rolle michael boley even eli manning wasnt their first pick…all of those are people that got signed to teams not drafted with the exception of eli manning the ravens even add to get better when they signed anquan boldin come on now lets be reasonable here

207. By Tim galbraith on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings lack of interest in the top tier free agents is puzzling? Some outstanding Vikings in the past have come to the Vikings via free agency…. A. winfield, Chris Carter,Pat Williams and V. Shiancoe to name a few. The failure to sign Sidney Rice hurt the Vikings. The Vikings are coming off one of the all-time worst seasons ever….! Carl Nicks would have been a good fit! Take a chance on an injured player with a high upside… Laron Laundry. The Vikings safety play was terrible! I am not sure if this is the GM, or ownership, but the fans, team, deserves better!

208. By jo on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I think this team is trying to lose, so they can move to LA

209. By Johnny on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings lack of movement in free agency is disturbing too many Viking fans who have been waiting since last season to see changes made to the team. The Vikings have many needs, beyond the offensive line and defensive backs.

This years free agency market for wide receivers was the deepest it has been in a long while. The Vikings have ONE receiver on the roster that has shown he is capable of playing in the N.F.L. all the other teams wideouts may as well go to the C.F.L. yet the Vikings didn’t even blink at any of the free agent wideouts on the market. One may think well maybe they are going to draft some? Possibly but this years crop for wideouts is slim at best. Maybe only one receiver going in round one which is Blackmon. So you have to ask What are they doing?

You can take almost any area of the Vikings and say “here is a need, there is a need and yet they make almost no moves except for picking up another TE. For a team that HAS to rebuild that has MANY holes too fill the Vikings seem to be content with being content.

I can find no good reason to not bring players in at least to evaluate and test the waters. Just sitting on your heiny and watching all the other teams make moves isn’t going to move this franchise forward. Sure its the first week of free agency so maybe they will still do something but where is the sense of urgency with the Vikings. The boat is not sinking its almost sunk already so this team had better start figuring that out and do something about it.

210. By Jered on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Are you serious… All vikings Fans I want to say this we have 7 needs as a teem we need a #1 WR, LT, LG, RG, & CB SS FS. Im gonna go through and tell you all the free agents and possible draft picks at each possition
    WR: Free agents: Mike Wallace, Mario Manningham & Robert Meachem
    Draft Picks: Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, and potential steel Marvin McNutt.

OL: Free Agents: Carl Nicks, Chris Myers, Demetrius Bell, Evan Mathis, Jared Gaither, Ben Grubs, Scott Wells.
    Draft Picks: Matt Kalil, Reily Reif, David DeCastro, and Cordy Glenn.

CB: Free Agents: Carlos Rogers Cortland Finnegan, Brandon Car
    Draft Picks: Morris Clayborn, Janoris Jenkins, & Dre Kirkpatrick.

S: Free Agents: LaRon Landry, & Thomas DeCloud.
    Draft Picks: Mark Barron Harrison Smith.

With all these players available our team is going for (oh wait i forgot there names let me go up and look…) Geoff Swartz and Alan Ball. Way to go boys

211. By ht0wn1 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

This just confirms that the Vikings organization is run by a bunch of cheap skates. Looking at individuals from the 7th round really. And acquiring a TE that did not play last year due to being on IR. What message are you sending again. That’s right, “Scared men win no SB.” Man up management and draft some winners and leave the chicken dinners alone. The fans want steak not chicken.

212. By Dylan Scott on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

LARON LANDRY….AARON ROSS……HARRISON SMITH….DRE KIRCKPATRICK…. JIM LEOHNARD….MARK BARRON…. JANORIS JENKINS!!!!! EHO THE EFFF IS ALAN BALL?????? COME ON VIKES, LETS GET SOME ESTABLISHED PLAYERS AND LEADERS…. USE YOUR HEADS

213. By ht0wn1 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Here is what I think the Vikings’ management wants the fans to understand, “fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.” Here is what the fans want management to understand, “eventually wise men do get in.” You can say wait until next week, and if there is no movement are we to expect a MAYBE for week three? Or are we going to make a rush one week before draft day or after the draft? That way though there are slim pickings, the Vikings can still look like they made wise decisions by acquiring so called players that filled the need that the draft didn’t address, ergo supplements after the draft. We can only imagine the outcome from the puzzle palace.

214. By ht0wn1 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

For those that seem to think management is doing such a great job and the fans are being impatient, let’s look at things from the true perspective of the fans, because that is what we are; The teams that most of us are mentioning like GB, Ravens, Patriots, Steelers, etc. have won SBs. The Vikings have been to four and lost all four. Last time the Vikings even were close to returning to the SB was in 2009, before that 1998 an eleven year gap in championships, plus a 34 and counting SB visit. Do you now understand the frustration? or are you still siding with management?

215. By Jeffbleedspurple on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

@ RP-ETF-MV: So what is it exactly that the Vikings are waiting for? for all the quality players to be spoken for so they can bring in a few players that are equal or lesser skilled to what we already have? And no one is saying to build the team from FA, but it does help bringing in a proven player or 2 and when you have an OL and secondary that was as bad as ours I would think investing extra money to improve these 2 positions would be a smart move and when it comes to the 2 players being talked about here, your right! No need to rush, I’m sure they will be available right to the end.

216. By Jim Peterson on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

For myself i will always be a viking fan but no more 10 couple trips down to the vikings game for me until they prove there trying to get players that are notable until then i will watch from my tv set and take the bashing from the packer fans

217. By Anthony on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I hope we get some more free agents Atogwe would be awesome but mainly I hope we resign Allen and Harvin. Go Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

218. By sandiamond on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Demetrius Bell |( young LT) Previous Team: Buffalo Exp: 3 years
    Analysis: Bell visited the Redskins on Friday, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. He previously visited the Cardinals.

219. By Excentricbillionaire on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Do you actually get paid to pat Vikings INC on the back for promoting rumors of bringing in junk players because they play for the minimum, but of course they are younger and that fits your idea of free agency for the Vikings?

220. By mnsoldier on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

and still the vikings have done nothing to address the very glaring problems that have been the down fall of this team for the past 10 years. we occassionally get a good DB but no more than one at a time. Why do they assume their offense will get thier defense out of trouble. It didnt work in the past and wont in the future.
    Simple thought and process boys it really isnt that diffiuclt if you think about it, but you really need to think about it.

221. By Excentricbillionaire on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I like D Scott’s and Jered’s thinking. Let’s get free agents from playoff teams. Not puff teams like Carolina or Jax. Are the Vikings already turned into a Walmart franchise like Miami. The Dolphins talk a great product but do not invest the bucks because profit has to go for more bling and bounce for the wives. Hey Flying Dutchman grow a pair and get Jason Jones, LaRon Landry, Turlluck (to make the Lions heel) and for your uncle Bob’s sake get somebody from the Ravens to smash mouth.

222. By Jim Peterson on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Just got through rading the last couple of hours on the vikings blog Ziggy Please what dont you get !!!! let spielman go we are the fans we deserve a way better team and effort from you guys are giving us we pay the bills and i am not alone when i say i will not go to a live game again until you people start listing to the fans thay pay your bills>

223. By jason wisneski on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Alan Ball would be a horrendous signing. If you’re gonna sign a DB, sign Atogwe at safety. Free-agency is supposed to be about filling needs not perpetuating needs as these players would not help the team improve.

224. By Alex on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Okay Lets get Landry, Atogwe, Burress, Saturday he still has some in the tank, William Gay he is solid at CB, Bryant McFadden, Terrance Newman, TRACY POTTER is a big one that should be brought in, Will Blackmon, Aaron Ross, Jerret Bush was solid in GB, Luis Castillo, Shaun Ellis, Aaron Smith, Aubrayo Franklin, Shaun Rodgers, Owen Schmitt, Andre Gurode, Robert Gallery, Ryan Diem, Doug Legursky, Keith Brooking, James Farrior, London Fletcher, Jameel McClain, Stephen Cooper, Chase Blackburn, Gary Brackett, Curtis Lofton, Barrett Ruud, Stephen Tulloch, Antonio Garay, John Henderson, Bobby Carpenter, Quentin Groves, Kamerion Wimbley, Berry Richardson, Jeff Garcia he might have somethin in the tank, Michael Bush would be a good back up to AP, Brandon Jacobs, LT would be good,Brian Dawkins we know he is still good, Melvin Bullitt, Chris Hope, Bob Sanders if he is healthy, Adam Goldberg, Demetrius Bell, Marc Colombo, Kareem McKenzie, Marcus McNeil, Max Starks, Dieon Branch, Braylon Edwards, T.O.yes i said it, Mike Sims-Walker, Steve Smith, Hines Ward yes i said it again, and Mike Wallace. These are players that are still good and can play and we can get them for cheap i bet. Do these moves and we will be contenders again. GOOOOOOOOOO VIKINGS.

225. By sandiamond on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

WR unrestricted free agent list:

Devin Aromashodu 6’2 vikings
    Micheal Campbell 6’2 jets
    Derek Hagan 6’2 bills
    Malcom Kelly 6’4 redskins
    Legedu Naanee 6’2 panthers
    Jerome Simpson 6’2 bengals
    Mike Sims-Walker 6’2 jags
    Maurice Stovall 6’5 lions
    Devin Thomas 6’2 giants

all others are over the age and/or under the height requirements for this team

226. By Carl on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

The blogger above had a good point about a deep LT draft. Kalil, Reiff, Martin 1st rd Adams, Sanders. But heres the thing we need a CB with the #35 pick to up grade our secondary now that Cook is coming back. I had a thought it appears that Tampa By wants Claiborne from LSU. We could trade down to #5 & the asking price to Tampa Bay is #5 & #37. Then with the #5 pick we select Michael Floyd WR N.D., with pick #35 we select Mike Adams LT O.S., with the #37 pick we select Stephon Gilmore CB S.C. Then take our #67 & #97 picks and trade back up into the 2nd rd and get Ruben Randle WR L.S.U. to stretch the defence or stay put and with our #67 select Chris Givens WR W.F. to stretch the defence. My point is there are lots of ways we can go in the middle rounds if we indeed get two extra 4th round picks but along with our 3rd and second round picks we have to hit on all 4.

227. By will on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Schwartz and Ball? if they do that look for Rick to be on the next episode of C’MON MAN

228. By kevin on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

As a fan for over 40 years this is as bad a team as I have seen and even more disturbing is the fact that management is doing nothing to get better. I think it is time to find another team. I hear San Fransico is good and I can root for Moss again.

229. By T.Harris on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Draft Justin Blackmon he scores Matt Kalil doesn’t.

230. By Tim Peters on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Free agent Laron Landry for Safety! Please

231. By Tim Peters on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Draft Morris Claiborne, we can’t let teams throw on us! Shut down corners are rare! There’s plenty of O-Linemen this year, and the draft is deep with WR’s as well.

232. By Phenom28 on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

i

233. By Phenom28 on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

At this point, I dont care what they do! Just as long as we do something! I just hope RICK is waiting for the right oppertunity to get some of those free agents. Im ganna go ahead and be optimistic and trust the vikings, maybee there waiting for some of those free agents to lower their asking price. Make em sweat a liottle bit, for the fact that they havent been signed yet! Why did they over pay John Carlson!!!! I think peterson should restructure his contract. Especially with all the injuries he sustained last year. He needs to understand that he will never win a super bowl by himself. Cough up some money so the vikings could build around him! Hes mid point in his career, and i dont see the vikings winning anytime soon without the right pieces! Peterson is great, but A hall of fame career without a super bowl ring is not as prestigious as a hall of fame career with a ring. Any comments on the peterson Idea! In my opinion Toby Gearheart is a bulldozer who can run without an offencive line. Peterson cannot. He needs good line men! cant do that without sharing some of that money??????

234. By iceman on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

I remember when I was naive and trusted the Vikes to make the right decisions about the draft and FA. Then after about 10-11 years of disappointment after disappointment, I just gave up and admitted that they are just a bunch of dumb.a.s.s.e.s. who don’t have a clue what the h.e.l.l. they are doing. I honestly believe that if I went and got a degree in Sports Management (as a formality) and the Vikings hired me, I would be a better GM than Spielman. This guy is clueless, he’s an idiot, and he’s a fool who has no business in an NFL Front Office. I don’t know if he could manage a d.a.m.n. McDonald’s

235. By iceman on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman! Fire Spielman!

I hope to hear this chant through the TV next year when I’m watching my Vikes get curb stomped by every team in the division AGAIN! Wake up Zygi! Fire Spielman! or Sell the team!

236. By Jim Peterson on Mar 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey spielman i have a 360 pound 6 foot 4 49 year old friend why dont you sign him he will plug a hole,sorry fans until spielman goes!!! we will never sign a quality free agent!!